[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Why did this line tank so hard?
>>
They didn't spell it Armorauders
>>
>>16029841
Dated as fuck mech design
$200+ for a one off, gigantic figure of an unknown IP
Crowdsourced funding
>>
>>16029941
guess don figueroa designs don't sell unless it's tf related.

how hard is it to break into the market without an existing IP?

one can justify more expensive toys than that as long as there's an established name behind it but a no name (even if good product) is a hard sell.
>>
>>16029841
This looks pretty cool OP
Tell me more about it
>>
>>16029950

And that’s why cartoons happen
>>
File: 20.jpg (387 KB, 2716x2286)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
Did it tank? I thought it was a one off niche market thing. Anyway they were made under Sentinel so I don't think they sustained much losses.

I suppose if they wanted to continue the line, it would be better to continue with smaller trooper and vehicles under the <$100 range. This would allow buyers to sample the line in a more affordable way, eventually convincing them to buy the big fat centerpiece.
>>
>>16029941
>$200+ for a one off, gigantic figure of an unknown IP
This honestly.
The only way to make an unknown IP work as a toy is to market it as something that compliments an existing line, or market it was part of an original toyline.
Anyone who saw this figure in any context will just see it as a large investment that won't have any other apparent figures to complement it in a collection, and it's not an already popular IP so it's unlikely someone would make this the centerpiece of their collection.
Put simply, a toy doesn't just sell itself, no matter how good it is.
>>
>>16029841
Because the opening figure was 200+ dollars, for an untested IP. If they started with a comic series and offered a more affordable entry point, it might've done well.
>>
>>16029950
One last reason:

Selling animu as fuck mech designs (of the very much 80s/early 90s) to the wrong crowd that has a fair chance of _not_ being the Transformers crowd.
>>
>>16029841
1. The design is not that great. Bogged down in unnecessary details like every American design.
2. Amerifats want one of two things: Transformer broken glass piles or muh blocky stompy chicken-legged battletech "realistic mechs" (Always that fucking word, "mech"). This thing is obviously neither.
>>
>>16030038
reminds me of what supposedly went wrong with sigma 6.

too anime for the gi joe crowd (also the size of the toys pretty much alienated the 12 inch and 3 1/2 inch crowds), not anime enough for the otaku crowd.
>>
File: Toy Pics02.jpg (1.07 MB, 1300x2028)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
The design itself is incredibly cool, and I love the look of the toy.
>>
>>16030085
Sigma 6 was far too American Anime for the otaku crowd even if it was outsourced to Gonzo.

>>16030061
What crowd would you sell Armarauders to, and how would you approach that? What adjustments would you do to make it sellable to those crowds?

>>16030061
>>16030085
Another question: how on earth would you sell an anime-as-fuck mech board game?
>>
>>16030192
That hangar looks awesome, but wouldn't making it an add on cut costs and make the price of the robot more reasonable?
>>
File: 49066793_p0.jpg (1.11 MB, 1500x1500)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
I know nothing about this line, but I do like the design of these things and have it bookmarked.
>>
>>16031117
then the hangar add-on sells more than the actual robot (to be used by other robot toys).
comedy.
>>
Who here read the comics?
>>
>>16034046
there's comics?!
>>
they really should have gone with a smaller size for the figures, like say the size that most MSIA figures used
>>
>>16035163
The cockpit gimmick, the pilot figure and the hangar stand were REALLY important, you see, so it had to be huge and cost too much money.
>>
>>16035137

Portal link:

http://www.mecha.club/downloads.html

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.