[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Gainax_logo.svg.png (36 KB, 1280x284)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
What the actual fuck went wrong? Their back catalogue is littered with legitimate classics and beloved cult hits but they haven't done fucking anything worthwhile in over half a decade.

Did Khara and Trigger really steal every single passionate or talented member of staff they had? How did things get so dire that those people left in the first place? Is there any chance they can ever recover?
>>
>>16030355
Fuck Khara and Trigger to be honest, I will NEVER forgive them for abandoning GAINAX to make zero soul moeshit
>>
>>16030357
I can't tell who you're talking about here.
Gainax does nothing but zero soul moeshit these days but Khara and Trigger have done some too and at least interspersed it with a handful of quality works.
>>
Gainax hardly makes anything to begin with these days, but at least the two shows they made in four years were good.
>>
>>16030357
>little witch academia
>zero soul
really makes you think
>>
>>16030365
They've done a few ONA's like >>16026050
>>
>>16030355
>Their back catalogue is littered with legitimate classics and beloved cult hits
lol
>>
>>16030989
>what is
>Gunbuster
>Eva
>FLCL
>Diebuster
>TTGL
>>
>>16031042
A collection of indicators that they need to fuck off from producing tv anime and just do ovas.
>>
>>16031057
I can agree with that.
>>
>>16031042
FLCL wasn't good bro.
>>
>>16031042
>Gunbuster
good
>Eva
shit
>FLCL
double shit
>Diebuster
triple shit
>TTGL
meh
>Wangs of Mayonaise
good
>>
>>16031086
>>16031077
memes
>>
>>16031086
>Gunbuster
>Eva
>FLCL
>Diebuster
>TTGL
>Wangs of Mayonaise
Meh
>>
File: images (9).jpg (14 KB, 300x300)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Hi, now gtfo
>>
>>16030355
Gainax, and all animation studios in general, is just the animation company, a house with a title. It can have its own culture and such, but without key individuals under it, it is just a empty shell. The animes are defined by their directors and creators, not as much by the company. For example, from the titles mentioned here >>16031042 , Gunbuster was directed by Anno and written by him, Yamaga and Okada. Anno left in 2007 and Okada retired from Gainax already in 1992. Diebuster and FLCL were directed by Tsurumaki, who left the studio soon after FLCL. Writer Youji Enokido, who wrote the script of almost all Gainaxs series, also left soon after FLCL. Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking are also pretty much the brainchild of Imaishi and his crew, who left around 2010 and 2011. And there are many other names that also left the studio between 2007 and 2010.

Putting simply, almost all the people responsible for Gainax great hits, and for the fame the studio once hold, have already left. Again, don't pity Gainax, it is just a empty shell.
>>
>>16031156
Gainax still has some noteworthy unique staff and possibly more importantly some of the old people will still work on their projects (to the extent any staff stays the same over so many years). Hiroyuki Yamaga is still there and even with that Khara suing Gainax business Sadamoto is still part of the movie he's been trying to make. The guy who directed Pleiades and Medaka Box started as an in betweener on Evangelion and had worked up to directing by the early 00s including episodes of FLCL and Gurenn Lagann. (Pleiades had the same art director as Evangelion too)

There's been a lot of turnover but it's not like there's no connection to old Gainax.
>>
>>16030355
>Did Khara and Trigger really steal every single passionate or talented member of staff they had?
More like that dipshit Yamaga was the reason all the passionate and talented members left to form studios where they didn't have a shitty work environment.
>>
>>16031317
That's some serious deja vu of Konami there.
>>
>Their back catalogue is littered with legitimate classics and beloved cult hits

Dunno why anons are disagreeing with this. I know that a lot of people have some sort of hate boner for Gainax, but what is said above is true. Maybe you dislike the shows or hate them, I doubt that it's straight-up just a circlejerk. But that doesn't change that they were hits, considered classics by many.
/m/ always seems to forget that they aren't the majority of the anime community, I don't visit /a/ but im positive that there are more people there. Denying their legacy is like denying Gundam's or Macross' legacies
>>
Can they go and animate the rest of Hanamaru Kindergarten? That's really all I want before this studio dies.
>>
>>16031384
>thinking /a/ wouldn't shitpost the same way
>>
>>16031384
>littered with legitimate classics and beloved cult hits

>classics
Evangelion
>cult hits
Gunbuster
Nadia
Honneamise

>"littered"
>>
>>16030357
Now they working with Netflix, lol. They did right thing
>>
How the fuck do you even pronounce GAINAX?
>>
>>16032152
Guy-knacks
>>
>>16032152
gay sex
>>
>>16032152
gainakkusu
>>
>>16032101
Who is "they" in this scenario?
>>
>>16030355
>What the actual fuck went wrong?

Hideaki Anno went wrong. It's not covered widely, but Anno ripped out everything from Gainax, and later sued them for some Evangelion rights, forcing them to pay for having had their name on merchandise.
>>
Diebuster is their best anime.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.