[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Starting at the beginning and moving up to the latest feature, we're going to tackle each Godzilla film. Each day the poster of a movie will be posted and everyone will share their thoughts on that particular installment. Feel free to share the latest Godzilla news here as well.
>>
File: G O J I R A.jpg (745 KB, 1200x1686)
745 KB
745 KB JPG
>>
>>16052058
A true classic. Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said about it.
>>
>>16052058
Fantastic throughout. Still arguably the best in the series despite its age.
>>
File: irys-stats.jpg (62 KB, 576x405)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>TOO DA LOO
>>
>>16052058
While certainly not flawless, its two most glaring issues being its not always convincing female lead and a few inconsistencies in special effects, Godzilla is masterwork of cinema and a timeless classic that is rightfully admired. It strikingly captures Japan's postwar nuclear anxieties and changing social standards. Tense throughout and packing a unique emotional punch, "Godzilla" remains engaging even outside of its scenes highlighting carnage and devastation. Godzilla himself is an unsettling, yet sympathetic specter, and his attack on Tokyo is one of the most exciting effects sequences in cinema despite its age and the "primitiveness." Furthermore, the film is assisted by its haunting score from Akira Ifukube and noirsque cinematography by Masao Tamai (known for his work with Mikio Naruse). Finally, the supporting cast is rounded by the great Takashi Shimura and dependable Akihiko Hirata. Truly a cinematic treat with a message every bit relevant today. Although in recent years it has become popular to attack the American version, "King of the Monsters", it's surprisingly faithful to the original and a legitimately good film in its own right. Raymond Burr for the win.
>>
File: Gojira_no_gyakushu.jpg (128 KB, 560x788)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>
would you fuck a kaiju milf?
>>
>>16053690
Unmemorable, but inoffensive.
>>
Stupid thread.
>>
>>16053747
>>>/lgbt/
>>
File: Hurr-Durr.jpg (21 KB, 350x344)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>16053690
Honestly the worst movie in the series. The film was a complete rush job and it shows. Worse special effects. A worse looking Godzilla suit. Bad sound design. Forgetable plot and acting. The works! To be fair, the genre was still in its infancy and these are clear growing pains. But, it's almost completely unwatchable by my standards. I mean for God's sake there's a scene where the footage is reversed so a jet flies backwards! Now this could be my memory playing tricks on me since it has been a long time since I've seen the movie. But the shot was so striking that it just stuck in my mind. This also could be the fault of the American adaptation. The only real benefit this movie has is that it introduces Angirus and the whole concept of two Kaiju in a deathbattle that would become a staple in genre even today. Otherwise, I'd much rather watch Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla '98, or Hanna-Barbera's Godzilla.
>>
>>16052058
https://youtu.be/njDSd8e6o70

Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, a true classic, great effects, great music, and a great story. Its a movie I can show to people who haven't seen a Godzilla movie and it truly impresses them.
>>
>>16053690
Ugly Godzilla,but not the ugliest Godzilla. Since the fights are at normal speed (or slightly sped up?) its jarring. It does have a decent human cast from what I remember. I would like it a lot less if it didn't introduce Angirus. Iv'e only seen it twice I believe, so Its about time for a re-watch.
>>
>>16053690
It's a fascinating prototype on what the Godzilla films will be. But yeah, very middle of the road.
>>
>>16054071
Fights were sped up instead of slowed down because camera guy flipped the switch the wrong way. Because film was so expensive and Tsuburaya liked it, it was kept
>>
So, the novel left out some of these monsters. Kind of shocked Mothra and Ghidorah didn't make it into the novel, but hey, we got two more movies.
>>
>That moment you realized that the Legendary movie is a remake of Godzilla vs Redmoon.
>>
My friend Ja'Crispy just saw PoTM in Tokyo and he said it was pretty good
>>
>>16054168
I think it's a good thing kaiju like Mosura or king ghidorah were not included in the anime timeline.

Legendary is already gonna do their take on them, so why bothed? I thought it was a great decision for the writers to choose older, lesser-known kaiju from Toho's showa days like maguma, griffon, and fucking dogora
>>
>>16052058
Still to this day a classic science fiction film. Fantastic watch.

>>16053690
Very mediocre and forgettable. One of the weakest entries simply by the pure blandness of the film.
>>
>>16054587
Cause Mothra and Ghidorah make Toho money?
>>
>>16054587
Well Gee, why bother making the Godzilla anime? Legendary Godzilla is already gonna do their take on him.
>>
File: rare anguirus.jpg (234 KB, 1429x1024)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>16054706
>One of the weakest entries simply by the pure blandness of the film.
Yeah. There's nothing egregiously bad in it. The film is just anemic and mostly forgettable.
>>
On most "versus" websites Godzilla loses to random superheroes because he gets thrown into the sun.
Godzilla is powered by nuclear energy, wouldn't being thrown into the sun make him go Super Godzilla?
>>
>>16055704
No because Godzilla is a fucking. If he went into the sun it would be the end of his radiation in a non-stasis affordable. He could only turn Super Godzilla if there are fifteen kaiju with gay hats making several insurance that I never knew in Toho's showa era
>>
File: 1509818500064.gif (1.68 MB, 332x332)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB GIF
>>16055725
That is one hell of a jumble of a sentence. Because he is a fucking? That last bit about insurance? Gay hats?
>>
>>16052058
I would love to see Werner Herzog direct a relatively straight remake of the original. He has an eye for those sorts of mythic-scale forces of natural destruction, and after seeing the underwater sequences from Encounters at the End of the World I think he would do a great job with the climactic oxygen destroyer scene.
>>
File: King Kong vs Godzilla.jpg (556 KB, 1004x1166)
556 KB
556 KB JPG
>>
>>16056504
>straight remake of the original
I strongly disagree. Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Hedorah, and Shin Godzilla are the closest we ever need to get at remaking the original movie. I'd rather those visuals be used in service of a new narrative and setting.
>>
>>16056553
Underrated kino. Despite the shitty Kong suit it's one of the few Godzilla sequels with likable characters. Shame the majority of torrents/bootlegs of this contain incredibly inaccurate fansubs.
>>
>>16055725
>>16055746
I need to form a rock band just so I can name it "Fifteen kaiju with gay hats making several insurance".
>>
File: Kong.jpg (395 KB, 2048x1253)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>16056641
>shitty Kong suit
People do not exaggerate when they complain about it. That suit is irredeemably bad. But the effects in general are weak in that movie.
>>
File: kkvg.jpg (18 KB, 176x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>16056553
I can never really know what my first Godzilla movie was, I just know by the age of 3 I had Godzilla king of the monsters, Godzilla vs mothra, Godzilla's revenge, and King kong vs Godzilla on vhs. I do know that one of my earliest memories is of me being 3 years old inside of a Kmart holding king kong vs godzilla on vhs and being hyped out of my mind. I wore that vhs down watching it everyday. The first 15 min of the vhs won't play anymore. I wouldn't call king kong vs godzilla the best movie in the series by far, but it is the most nostalgic for me and I can watch it anytime.
>>
File: gm1girl.jpg (14 KB, 320x240)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>16056504
>>16056558
I want a japanese rom-com movie about the midadventures of a yakuza who meets a girl and falls in love with her in 1960s japan but gets in trouble with his oyabun for selling meth.

It would be set in a world where all the Toho showa movies are happening and during the same time as the 1964 film; Ghidorah, the three-headed monster and itwould feature graphic violence and dark humor, but a lot of sweet romance as well and it would be directed by Takeshi Kitano.

They don't need to retcon anything to do it either. I'll make it my dream to write office Kitano to get him to try to request to do a godzilla flick
>>
>>16056737
>directed by Takeshi Kitano
>not Makoto Shinkai
>>
>>16056737
If possible, cast the yakuza as a lookalike to one of the kidnappers from Destroy All Monsters.
>>
>>16052057
>>16052058
>>16053690
>>16056553
>>16056726

Look if you want to do this daily thread thing, you're gonna want to declare what it is we're talking about. Most people here can't read Japanese. I can read Japanese and I still don't know what's going on because I don't know Godzilla well enough to know if we're changing topic and what the totally different localised movie name is, or someone is just throwing up images every hour or so.
>>
>>16056553
I gave this multiple watches long ago and didn't like it, though I was aware it was intentionally more comedic than the other films. Sorta wonder how I'd like it now, given that I know a bit more about its background and its satirical side. But I don't care about revisiting it that much.
Aside from the music, I don't think I liked much about it. I actually don't hate that Kong looks like a malformed fusion between Donald Duck and 1970-80's Bud Spencer, but the execution of the design, the suits and puppets alike are rubbish. And as much as fans praise the film's Godzilla suit, it's probably one of my least faves. Most of the effects look subpar, and I know all the related talking points and excuses (Tsuburaya wasn't always aiming for realism, it's meant to be funny, Kong's license fees ate up the budget, etc), but they're still disappointing.

Anyway, I just realized this film rarely comes to my mind when I think about Godzilla movies. No idea why, but for some reason my mind tends to jump from the original straight to Mothra vs. Maybe it's cause Kong isn't a Toho monster, or cause it feels way too silly for an early Showa film, or because I just didn't care for it. I can understand not remembering Raids Again, though.
>>
>>16056839
Everyday we're posting the poster art of a Godzilla movie and discussing that movie. It's moving in chronological order. So far we've covered Godzilla (1954), Godzilla Raids Again (1955), and King Kong vs Godzilla (1962). The English names have been in the file names or in smaller font the posters. But if it makes things clearer the English posters can be used instead.
>>
>>16056871
Just write the bloody name and hype it a bit more
>We're talking about 1955's Gojira no gyakushu (Godzilla Raids Again) now!
If you don't then you're only going to get replies from the tiny hardcore who can recognise your thumbnail
Personally I like monster movies but aside from 54 I don't think I've seen any Godzilla movie from before sometime in the 70s, so I'd love some recommendations from discussions.
>>
>>16056890
watch Godzilla vs. Mothra and Ghidorah, the three-headed monster. Both are pretty fun
>>
>>16056698
There's some pretty good scenes like when the JSDF is constructing the trap for Godzilla or the submarine getting stuck underwater. A lot of the camerawork is pretty good as well. But yeah, the Kong suit is fucking awful alongside the puppets.
>>
>>16056553
It's an okay movie. Only the japanese version is good. I saw the American version at G-Fest last year and I forgot how bad and invasive those scenes with UN Reporters were. Also not a big fan of both King Kong's and Godzilla's suits, but it's still fun to watch them tear down Osaka Castle.
>>
File: Super Godzilla.jpg (20 KB, 348x256)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>16055704
It's hard to say exactly what would happen but the way I see it, there are two possibilities.
1: As Godzilla gets closer to the sun his core overloads and he turns into Burning Godzilla. As he keeps getting closer his core would get hotter eventually making him meltdown or explode. This could happen gradually or in almost an instant depending on how fast he's traveling toward the sun. Regardless, I bet the resulting cataclysm would be strong enough to destroy Mercury.
2: The vast amounts of solar radiation the sun puts out would cause a greater change in Godzilla then just his Burning form. He would turn into Super Godzilla or some other crazy unknown form. At which point we could only really guess what could happen. Would Super Godzilla be strong enough to survive the sun? Would the sun be just to powerful so Super Godzilla burns up anyways? If Super Godzilla survives how would he get back to Earth? Would he fly there with his belly beam Hedorah style? Who knows.
Either way, this was an fun brain excercise.
>>
Fuck it, I'm mad, I am gonna rant about this fucking disgrace of a fanbase in the only place retarded 12 year olds can't hunt me down

the vast majority of this fanbase are underage and almost the entirety of the remaining portion are manchildren (you fucking retards). If you took everyone's IQ and averaged them all out, this community would probably have one of the lowest iqs of any fanbase ever.

The toxicity is staggering, when we get to the point that we have a network of drama channels on youtube there is something wrong.

The amount of hypocrisy is fucking astounding. Shin Godzilla and G14 had about the same amount of screentime and only one of those movies has people complaining about it. This community had a nuclear firestorm of rage over G14 having gills and then when Shin does no one bats a fucking eye. List of things Toho can do with Godzilla: Make him evolve, make him a fish creature, make him shoot lasers out of every orifice, make his breath purple, make him fall asleep from using his rays too much, make him get hurt by conventional weapons, make him a plant, make him lack any skeletal structure. List of things any other studio can do: Nothing. You guys are just as guilty with all of these things. Also, they are turning mechagodzilla into a Michael bay transformer with a insect head and you fucks are licking that shit up because you guys get a boner when you see the toho logo
>>
>>16057967
u mad
>>
File: suicide bomber.gif (1.91 MB, 400x300)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB GIF
>>16057967
>Shin Godzilla and G14 had about the same amount of screentime and only one of those movies has people complaining about it.
Godzilla 2014 gives Godzilla a little over 9 minutes of screen time and Shin Godzilla gives Godzilla over 17 minutes of screen time. Process this newfound information and tell me why your initial claim is factually incorrect. Also bear in mind that it is not always how much time you have. It's how effectively you use it and the quality of everything else around it.
>>
>>16056839
Did you even try reading the OP? This is not a difficult thread to follow
>>
File: 1511243043949.jpg (491 KB, 1651x1125)
491 KB
491 KB JPG
>>16057967
>getting this mad over a children's franchise and projecting out of the ass

This is a Toho Kingdom tier post lmao. What an awful amount of misinformation.

>>16056890
See pic related
>>
protips on how to tackle this franchise?

I'll start watching the movies sometime next week, just downloaded the first one
not sure where to get the others, I'd be happy to find a batch with all movies(yes, I'm this lazy)

any movies I should skip?
any stuff that is not movie and I should read/watch?
>>
File: 1452920961510.jpg (1.47 MB, 2660x2072)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>16058104
This is my go to chart.

>any stuff that is not movie and I should read/watch?
The animated series based off the '98 movie is well received. As well as most of the IDW comics, particularly their third title 'Rulers of Earth' and their various mini series such as 'Godzilla in Hell,' 'Cataclysm' and 'Half-Century War.'
>>
>>16057514
Eiji Tsuburaya must have been intoxicated or absent for most of the production of this film. Pic related, the puppets, the stop motion sequences, and everything about King Kong is unforgivably bad. A few of the 70s films have effects more consistent than this.
>>
>>16057967
Well, I agree with what you said before the Shin vs G14 mudslinging part.

>>16058104
>any stuff that is not movie and I should read/watch?
Maybe check out Bringing Godzilla Down to Size, a documentary about the franchise's special effects.
>>
File: SpaceGodzilla.jpg (81 KB, 594x594)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>16057605
so that's where SpaceGodzilla came from
>>
Why did the "pillars of the fandom" get so pissy over Shin Godzilla?
>>
>>16058651
Allegedly Shin Godzilla is nationalistic, militaristic, and anti-Honda.
>>
>>16057967
Hey bud im a casual goji fag. I prefer my sentai, ultraman, and kamen rider but godzilla has a place in my heart. I pretty much enjoyball his movies. Especially tsuburayas.stuff.

Shin and 14 are both fun perspectives of Godzillas. I think the only godzilla film I dont really like is 2000.
>>
>>16058804
why 2000 specifically? I think Orga is one of the best villains
>>
>>16058842
I dunno. Its just super boring and unsatisfying. I probably need to do a rewatch desu.
>>
>>16052057
Starting December 1st i'm gonna stream every godzillamovie from 1st to last for a Christmas special. I'll start posting from there in.
>>
>>16058842
I like it, I guess it's got a slow first half?
>>
File: 1484234252257.gif (521 KB, 320x178)
521 KB
521 KB GIF
>>16057967
W-well...

I thought Shinzilla was kinda stupid, anon...
>>
File: Mothra vs Godzilla.jpg (651 KB, 791x946)
651 KB
651 KB JPG
>Mothra vs Godzilla (Godzilla vs The Thing)
Director: Ishiro Honda
Year of Release: 1964

Today we'll tackle another crossover film. Toho's two most popular characters meet in what is widely considered one of the best films of the genre itself. Share your thoughts below.
>>
>>16059106
An incredible Godzilla film which emphasizes the sheer threat and menace of Godzilla whilst sucessfully transitioning into a more brighter universe with the crossing over of Mothra. The characters are strange and likable, the monsters are the epitome of themselves, and Harou Nakijima's performance as Godzilla is incredibly emphasized by the unique shape of this suit.

This is prime early-Showa second to Astro-Monster.
>>
>>16059106
egg
>>
>>16059106
As I child I loved that godzilla came out of the ground. Between appearing out of the ground and appearing out of an iceberg in king Kong vs godzilla, I thought godzilla could be hiding ANYWHERE.
The movie itself is great, though I'm partial to any godzilla movie with Akira Takarata. This movie gets it right with good monster action and a compelling human plot. I will say I never expected it to be one of the most loved godzilla movies, but I'm also used to the kamen rider and sentai fans who don't like classic showa. It's not one of my favorite showa godzilla movies, but it's a damn good movie.
>>
>>16059106
so was the egg guy some comic actor of the time or something, like how I've heard Cornjob was?
>>
>>16059650

Yes, he was.
>>
>>16059106
Kino. The best film in the genre outside of the original. It's a legitimately great film that hasn't been topped by any other monster movie yet.
>>
>>16058360
I finally figured out what irks me off so much about Spacegoji's design

The scales on regular godzilla are bigger and rougher, Spacegoji looks too smooth
>>
>>16059106
Easily the next best Showa film after 54. This movie is a treat and it was one of the first Toho films I watched along with the rest of the Classic Media DVDs. Had some great Godzilla destruction scenes and the fight between Mothra and Godzilla was outstanding. You really get to feel how one sided the fight is and how desperate Mothra is to keep her egg safe. Also there's prime schadenfreude to be had seeing the Happy Enterprises assholes getting smashed by Godzilla.
>>
>>16059834
>scales
Kek
>>
>>16058116
I guess this needs to be updated with shin and the anime, maybe kong as well?
>>
>>16059834
Really? It's not the whole "my tummy looks like an infected vagina" look he's got? Or the fact that his legs are so fat that they're literally just columns with fat-people knees? Oh, how about the super-restricted arm movements that are hindered by the giant crystals so that they looked stubby and ridiculous and flail even more sillily? No? How about those weird-ass fucking tusks he's got on his fuckin' face with that skinny-ass lower jaw? And how about that goofy crown, huh? I mean, he already looks like a gay child-molesting kaiju, but the fucking crown reminds me of pointy clown hat! So now we got a child-molesting clown kaiju! And even worse?

He's blue. Not a manly blue, no sir, but blue like that fucking Prius you saw a man in denial driving to his interview at work for a gossip magazine. The fact that his whole fucking spine is essentially jewelry really doesn't help, either. This fat fuck. Look at 'im. He can't even walk without having to levitate via stock footage every four steps. Not only that, but he got his ass jobbed not only by Godzilla and MOUGERA for fuck's sake. He ain't even good enough for fuckin' Mechagodzilla, so they had to get that robotic penguin-lookin' shit heap of metal to use it's fucking nose as a goddamn drill for fuck's sake. And he can't go nowhere, either. He just gotta use a fucking radio tower that he stays and camps. He's got worse wi-fi then my fucking phone! Two steps, wuh-oh! Lost connection. Now I know, I know...he was pretty fucking scary when he kidnapped little Baby ziller, right? Well not fucking really! He locked him in crystals, right? You know what the fuck Destoroyah did? He ate Junior's fucking chest and murdered him in front of his father. Why the fuck didn't Spacegodzilla do that? Cause he's a damn retarded space bitch and wants to save that little kiddo to diddle with later, probably. Fuck, this nigga can't even decide his own goddamn backstory.

Fucking space bitch.
>>
>>16060253
No wonder he's so salty.
>>
File: moth vs lizard.jpg (517 KB, 1018x1487)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
>>16059106
This and Shin Godzilla are in a tight race with one another as the second best film in the franchise. Mothra vs Godzilla stars some of the most likable human characters of the kaiju genre, boasts some of the finest effects of the era, and features one of Akira Ifukube's greatest scores for the series. It expertly blends the seriousness of the original Godzilla film and the lightheartedness of Mothra's debut film. Honda's direction is on point and the pacing is smooth. This is isn't simply a good monster movie, it's a good movie period. Biggest issue would be the transparency of how the film tosses the "rescue the children" subplot in because it runs out of things for the characters to do by time the climatic battle rolls around. Though this minor imperfection in no way cripples an otherwise exemplary and, outside of the fandom, underappreciated film. Even the American version is a worthwhile watch as the dub is respectable and alterations are essentially nonexistent (save an additional battle scene made by the filmmakers themselves).

I prefer Godzilla's fight with the larvae over his fight with the Adult Mothra as I find the latter sequence more exciting and it contains less shoddy effects moments.
>>
File: BabyMosuHatching.jpg (478 KB, 1128x610)
478 KB
478 KB JPG
>>16060806
*former sequence
>>
>>16060806
>>16058168
>>16056698
Post your tumblr right now. Nobody else on this board has kino pics and opinions like you.
>>
File: Ghidorah.jpg (304 KB, 801x948)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Special Effects by: Eiji Tsuburaya
Music by: Akira Ifukube
Written by: Shinichi Sekizawa
Year of Release: 1964

King Ghidorah makes his debut and Rodan joins the extended universe in this monster rumble and loose adaptation of "Roman Holiday" with light extraterrestrial touches.
>>
>currently watching Shin Godzilla
>uses stock footage of missile launches
>cgi usually looks like the lighting is off
I mean this is kind of a cool movie, and I like the Godzilla, but was this movie rushed? It seems like it was.Just looks really off at times.
>>
>>16061114
Honestly, that second bit just seems like a Japanese CG thing.
>>
File: shin godzilla.jpg (82 KB, 1024x768)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>16057967
>want to go to G-Fest
>see the huge age gap of the crowd
>all the bickering in places like TohoKingdom
So glad I decided not to go. I really like Godzilla and other movie monsters, but I don't think I could take it.

>>16061131
Yeah, I think I saw another Japanese movie that had that same kind of lighting. I thought the final form of Godzilla looked really good, but the first form Godzilla (besides being strangely adorable) and the trucks/trains looked sloppy imo. I couldn't do better though. I liked the ending shot of the movie; pretty clever ending.
>>
>>16061062
I don't think I like this movie as much as everyone else. I thought the human plot was mediocre. Ghidorah looks great and is a brilliant piece of special effects, but the movie itself has always just been meh for me. Its been a long time since I've seen it so I cant comment on the monster action, usually when I want to watch a Ghidorah movie I watch Invasion of the Astro Monster. I definitely need to re watch it tho.
>>
>>16057967
You sound like quite the machildren.
We're just some peopla talking about a dinosaur.
Chill out.
>>
>>16061062
So as I understand, one of the goals of the screenwriter may have been to reverse the usual setup of "monsters do shit - humans react" and instead make Godzilla's scenes almost disconnected from the human storyline up until the ending, when the humans enlist his and Rodan's help and they begrudgingly agree to rape Ghidorah, making monster cinema history in the process.
If so, that's in interesting idea and I can respect the effort to spice things up by putting a twist on the normal formula, but I don't care for the movie. The human "spy thriller" plot wasn't engaging in the least to me, and the brief monster brawl at the end wasn't satisfying enough. Apart from some nice special effect sequences and the introduction of Ghidorah, it's boring shit.
This movie also highlights my frustration about how fans have a tendency to only mention the monster scenes when talking about these films. In this case, it's especially misleading, because the human plot get such a big focus, and Godzilla barely does anything of note until the very end.
>>
>>16061160
G-fest isn't that bad, but it's becoming increasingly crowded every year and more difficult to maintain because of it. I've met some neat people there, seen some cool stuff, but yeah, there's a lot of autism and youngsters about. It's not enough to completely ruin your time, but it's still there. It's just too awkwardly placed between niche and almost normie and autism. I'd go at least once just for the experience of it before it becomes a total clusterfuck.

>>16061062
One of my favorites. Probably the best of the early showa (specifically anything past '54. that is). It's silly, but its serious. It holds its own self in its own world rather well before turning into a movie that is essentially Godzilla wrestling with some new lookin' badass out from space or underground. It feels siginificant, and despite the actors taking it pretty seriously, it somehow adds to it's benefit so that you become invested anyways. Or that's my bias on it at least.

>>16061114
Shin Godzilla was extremely rushed. The director said that he basically had to plan the movie out when he was halfway done filming Attack on Titan and needed to hurry about the whole thing. So yeah, the CGI in some scenes is pretty weird because one moment, it'll look pretty well rendered, but another (which was probably using an animatronic originally) had to be redone with CGI and thus not as rendered as other parts.
>>
>>16058898
Noice.
>>
File: DPukASEVQAIzMKm[1].jpg (156 KB, 843x1200)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>16054168
Mothra is implied to exist in the novel.
I think it would be odd if they didn't show up.
>>
>>16061062
Honestly, my favorite Godzilla movie. It was the first godzilla movie that had "tag-team" monster fights, and actually gave some really funny personalities to the monster. I never fail to chuckle at "Godzilla, what terrible language!"

I find the human characters really interesting too. The cop with the reporter sister who get involved way ocer their heads with some foreign princess, the assassins, and the whole plot of monsters appearing all over japan, yet eventually teaming up to fight a bigger threat. IMO, Ghidorah, the three-headed monstets is the most "epic" the showa series seemed in the early 60s before the Godzilla franchise got too ridiculous.

Also, I lost my virginity while watching this movie. It was playing really loud so her parents wouldn't hear us.
>>
How come Toei sucks at Kaiju? Like, Green Slime? Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds? Magic Serpent? The suits are terrible.
>>
>>16062289
I thought Battles without Honor or Humanity was really good. The sequels too.
>>
File: Gappo 2.png (353 KB, 456x338)
353 KB
353 KB PNG
>>16062323
But where the Kaiju designs good? I mean, this was a Toei kaiju.
>>
>>16061062
It's an okay movie. I have respect for it because it introduced King Ghidorah and that King Ghidorah is a piece of speacial effects magic. It like, what, 16 people to get it to movie the way it did on screen. Probably over estimating but that's still alot. The only downside to this is that the plot it painfully boring. I don't know why but, at least to me, every time I watch this movie I feel like I've been hit by a neuralizer and just forget the plot and characters after I've watched it.
>>
File: Godzilla lol 1.png (419 KB, 595x656)
419 KB
419 KB PNG
>>16062393
Was I drunk when I wrote this? wtf
>It took like what*
>get it to move*
>but it was still alot.*
What the hell is wrong with me today. I need sleep.
>>
>>16062289
>Magic Serpent suits
>Terrible
They're not on Toho or Tsuburaya's level, no, but terrible they are not.
>>
File: Gama.png (657 KB, 600x448)
657 KB
657 KB PNG
>>16062417
They're so good, they butchered the frog, de-horned him, and put him in their Akage series.
>>
File: g34.jpg (78 KB, 838x319)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Are the movies from that Starz marathon available anywhere? Saw people saying they were probably the new masters for the Criterion thingy, I wanna see that shit and I'm too impatient for the BDs.
>>
File: Monster Zero.jpg (1.01 MB, 989x1183)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>Monster Zero (Invasion of Astro-Monster)
Special Effects by: Eiji Tsuburaya
Year of Release: 1965

Toho's first attempt at what would soon become a reoccurring formula for the series sees aliens attempting to conquer the Earth using giant monsters. This film also marks the last time all of the forefathers of the series would work on a Godzilla film together and is arguably the end of an era.
>>
>>16062917
They're not new video transfers. They're gonna be available on Filmstruck in December though and some have new subtitles.

>>16061062
Step down from it's predecessor, but still a pretty good movie. Rushed at parts and it could have been polished a bit more but nonetheless it contains some memorable characters and monster action.

>>16063088
The best Honda Godzilla film to be released after Mothra vs Godzilla. Solid action and the lead characters are extremely likable. Miss Namikawa is perhaps the best female character in the series. The theme about unchecked scientific/technological progress and the human spirit is conveyed well through her character and actions.
>>
>>16063088
Probably my favorite of the Showa era, at least of the early part of it.

This is what I call the quintessential Godzilla film. While Gojira is great, Monster Zero shows you what the Godzilla franchise is. Its got Godzilla, His most well known ally in Rodan, his arch nemesis in Ghidorah, Masers, and probably is the most iconic aliens Godzilla ever fought in the Xiliens.

It also helps that everyone brought their A game to to this as well turning in into a A+ B movie classic.
>>
>>16063088
One of my top films of the franchise. Nice, fun cheesy sci-fi plot with a message, and charming leads that I can more easily tell apart. Light on Godzilla screentime, but in return his space scene is one of the most memorable ever. A shame the end fight with Ghidorah is so rushed.
Wonder how hard fans would flip their shit if a new movie referenced a contemporary meme, a la the dancing bit from this film.
>>
>>16063088
One of my favorite godzilla movies, literally looking at the poster hanging on my wall signed by Akira Takarada and Haruo Nakajima. The human plot is fantastic, Xillians are one of the best aliens in the series, Nick Adams is an american badass, And Godzilla fights ON A FUCKING ALIEN PLANET.
>>
>>16056553
Absolutely underrated. The American version isn't very good, but everything else about it is great. It's one of the most fun entires in the series.

>>16059106
One of the great Godzilla movies. Pretty much everything about it is awesome. Mothra's effects and prop are gorgeous. The only issue I had was the two larvae defeating Godzilla.

>>16061062
Honestly, probably one of the most overrated films in the series. It's not bad, but it certainly doesn't hit the expectations put on it. Too much focus on a side plot about assassins to the point where the entire invasion by Ghidorah feels like an afterthought.

>>16063088
Really fun science fiction film that, despite few kaiju scenes, uses them very well. Everything from the protagonists to the villains to the legendary Godzilla dance are a blast to watch. Godzilla fighting in space is worth the price of admission alone.
>>
>>16061062
>>16059106
These are both great. Decent human storylines, the Mothera larvae and Godzilla are both awesome, and the scenes with Rodan in GtTHM are hilarious. Ghidorah himself is also awesome, they really managed to convincingly pull his design off despite his unusual shape. Ghidorah is also the movie where we first see Godzilla adopt the "hero" role that he maintains throughout the Showa era.

>>16063088
I really didn't like this one compared to Ghidorah's first appearance. The Sci-Fi aspects are cool but it undersells the monsters and the second half in general is retarded. It's cool to see some more Ghidorah and rock-throwing Godzilla at least.
>>
>>16062102
Any proof of this statement?
>>
>>16063978
>the second half in general is retarded
Elaborate please
>>
>>16063978
I think the way they kill the aliens is a bit of a cop out. I also didn't think the kanji scene at the end was that great.
>>
>>16064495
>>16064477
>>
>>16064495
How was it a cop out? Sound being the Xilien weakness was setup earlier in the film. That's why the aliens expressed so much interest in Tetsuo's invention. What do you think about the end of War of the Worlds? And I love the final battle. The physicality and energy was infectious.
>>
File: Battle of Planet X.jpg (608 KB, 2000x1328)
608 KB
608 KB JPG
>>16063088
Although light on the monster action, Monster Zero still manages to be one of the best Godzilla movies thanks to making its limited monster action memorable and having some of the most charismatic human characters of its genre. Nick Adams and Akira Takarada share amazing chemistry (hard to believe they didn't speak the same language), the Xiliens are easily the best humanoid extraterrestrials of the series, and the story is just plain science-fiction goodness. Kumi Mizuno, Akira Kubo, and Yoshio Tsuchiya also give fantastic performances. Minus brief instances of stock footage (at least they made somewhat of an effort to hide it), this film has the best/most consistent special effects of the Showa Era and Ifukube perfects the iconic Monster Zero March. This is Ishiro Honda's third best Godzilla film and his last completely worthwhile Godzilla film.
>>
>Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
Director: Jun Fukuda
Special Effects by: Sadamasa Arikawa
Music by: Masaru Sato
Year of Release: 1966

Fukuda helms his first of several Godzilla films in what was originally conceived as a King Kong project. This particular film is notable for being the first of Godzilla's adventures in the South Seas and one of the two Godzilla films to be lampooned on MST3K. Share your thoughts on this entry below.
>>
>>16064961
That yellowbone jap in the movie is really sexy. Otherwise, this is a pretty mediocre Godzilla film.
>>
>>16064530
You have me beat on the Aliens. I guess it's just not my kind of Godzilla story.
As for the last fight, it seemed like a bit of an afterthought. Ghidorah already got beaten twice by Godzilla and Rodan so the outcome seemed pretty obvious
>>
>>16064961
Very pretty movie, although not great by any means. Still, it has some good performances from Takarada and Mizuno.
>>
>>16064961
Underrated. Again Im biased because I love Akira Takarada, but I love the 60s feel of this movie with the pseudo surf music and the dance marathon in the beginning. Not saying its the best, or my favorite, but I do enjoy this one alot. Although this is where Godzillas design starts looking a little shitty imo

https://youtu.be/Yu3VpZBbCIU
>>
>>16064961
It's a fun movie. It isn't a classic in comparison to the previous entries, but you can't help but enjoy the trippy music, the Bond-esque villain organization, and Godzilla's really cool awakening. Godzilla' sea fights with Ebirah are surprisingly good, and him swatting away jets on the island was great. The only real issue is the pacing slows down too much near the middle, and Mothra popping up seems like an asspull.
>>
>>16064961
Can't give a full assessment as this is one of the few G films I haven't seen in full, only breezed through some of the more interesting scenes out of order.
I will say I liked how it looks and sounds, even though the Godzilla suit by the end looks like crap and the Mothra prop also looks, well, moth-eaten. Didn't mind the island setting, it's a nice change from the city or countryside backdrops, and I think they still managed to emphasize Godzilla's size without putting him near buildings most of the time. Loved the deep blue color of the daytime sky too.
Ebirah, while he really feels like more of a King Kong enemy, at least looks good for what he is. There's undoubtedly some King aspects shining through Godzilla's behavior, but I can look past it. The volleyball scene, the nose-rub, and him taunting Ebirah with his torn-off claws made it feel like Godzilla wasn't taking things too seriously, which fits the movie.
Won't judge the human characters.
>>
The Criterion Collection's Godzilla films are making their way to Filmstruck on December 8.
>>
File: volleyball.gif (1.61 MB, 368x155)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB GIF
>>16064961
Has the best volleyball game of the series. This is a indisputable fact.
>>
File: DOA kaiju volleyball.webm (2.93 MB, 1280x544)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>16066702
>>
File: Son of Godzilla.jpg (558 KB, 997x1184)
558 KB
558 KB JPG
>Son of Godzilla
Written by: Shinichi Sekizawa and Kazue Shiba
Year of Release: 1967

Faced with dwindling audiences, Toho decides to further anthropomorphize Godzilla and aim the series at an increasingly younger audience. For his second adventure in the South Seas, Godzilla is given an adoptive son, Minilla, who he trains and defends from the monstrous insects and arachnids of Solgell Island.
>>
>>16067623
Fun movie. It isn't anything spectacular, but Kumonga and the Kamacuras make for an interesting change of pace for Godzilla enemies. Minilla isn't too bad, though I was always confused whether he's a different species since he's adopted that happens to breathe fire, or if he's Godzilla's boy. The music is pretty great.
>>
>>16067623
Lots of people say it's underrated, and while I agree it get a lot of undue hate, I don't think it's that superb either. Liked the human conflict, but by the second half when they get stuck in that cave, it became a more generic "humans in peril" kinda deal, which wasn't as interesting for me. Otherwise, I liked the setting, the music, and the effects apart from the usual complaints like the two titular monsters being ugly and the sky having those blatant seams on it.
I remember seeing Godzilla's bizarre, uncanny design as a kid and being really put off by it.
>>
>>16061131
I really like how Japanese cg has a specific vibe to it. Not sure exactly how to word it but live action Casshern and Attack on Titan come to mind when I think of it.
>>
>>16067623
Godzilla is ugly as hell in this movie, but I like kumonga and kamacuris. I watched it like once as a kid and the last time I tried to watched it, i watched it with firends who got drunk and distracted me so I don't really have a good opinion on it. I've seen most of monster scenes through godzillas revenge though.
I need to give it a rewatch since people defend it so hard
>>
File: a father and son.jpg (44 KB, 370x490)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>16067373
>that file name
kek

>>16067979
>the sky having those blatant seams on it
Do you have any examples on hand?

>the two titular monsters being ugly
Excuse me.
>>
>>16067623
The first Godzilla film not directed by Honda that is legitimately great. Good characters, great cinematography and the best ending in the series bar 54.
>>
>>16067623
The best pleb filter.
>>
File: kino.jpg (131 KB, 575x780)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>16068586
>best ending in the series bar 54
Agreed. Unpopular opinion incoming: Son of Godzilla's final few minutes completely trounces Godzilla's death in Godzilla vs Destoroyah.
https://youtu.be/ZX2mj5shUXY
>>
>>16068611
Yep. Jun Fukuda shows Godzilla go from a reluctant father to a loving dad. You don't need to watch any other film to establish any emotion with it. Godzilla and Minya are straight up characters. With Godzilla VS Destoroyah, director Okawara relies on the audiences already established love for the franchise for the emotional punch.
>>
reading this thread I realize it's been 20~25 years since I've actually watched some of these

What's the current hotness for stealing HD copies of the old stuff? Subs would be nice, dubs are okay, AIP dubs would be awesome.
>>
>>16058897
Do it somewhere we can watch too
>>
>>16068699
yeah a cytube channel with the google drives trick would probably work
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (20 KB, 720x404)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>16068547
>Do you have any examples on hand?
Only a shitty one. But when I watched a good quality version of the movie, almost all scenes that were filmed on the monster-scale set had a few shots with obvious lines on the backdrop, which was pretty distracting at times.
>>
File: S_Salno.png (92 KB, 200x206)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>all of this complaining about the human story of Ghidrah
Are there no fans of the princess around here? And I quite enjoyed the different and extended role Mothra's twin priestesses got to play.
>>
>>16068919
I really liked her actually. The villains were surprisingly entertaining as well.

Not a fan of Monster zero but the American actor in it is great too
>>
File: DAM.jpg (680 KB, 1000x1179)
680 KB
680 KB JPG
>Destroy All Monsters
Written by: Ishiro Honda and Takeshi Kimura
Year of Release: 1968

On a steady decline in attendance due to television and what appeared to be the slow death of the Japanese film industry altogether, Toho believed the time had come to end the series and gathered together almost all of their monsters up to that point for the battle to end all battles. Even much of the old creative team returned for this one. According to conventional wisdom this film's huge success inspired Toho to continue the series. However, in reality, this film only made slightly more than Son of Godzilla and sold a million tickets less than Sea Monster. Share your thoughts on the the second alien invasion film of the Godzilla series below.
>>
>>16069204
Even though the effects and camera work were magnificent, it's incredibly boring.
>>
>>16069204
This one needs no introduction. The absolute best Showa film besides the first, no questions asked. Best aliens, best monsters, (Anguirus, Manda, Baragon, Goro, and Varan) and most importantly best action. Story could be better but it's Godzilla not Citizen Kane
>>
>>16069220
>The absolute best Showa film besides the first, no questions asked.
Objectively false. It's a weak retread of Monster Zero. Almost everything is a step down. Nothing more so than the human characters.

>Best aliens
They're barely above Seatopian-tier. No one remembers the Kilaaks.

>best monsters
Most of the monster appearances are glorified cameos.

>most importantly best action
Ghidorah lands in the middle of a field of enemies, gets knocked down, and stomped to death. There was no suspense to that battle. Especially since Godzilla and Rodan are enough on their own to repel him.
>>
>>16069220
>Story could be better but it's Godzilla not Citizen Kane

Neither the franchise nor the genre is a good excuse for being boring.
>>
>>16061062
>Roman Holiday
So which monster is Gregory Peck and which is Audrey Hepburn?
>>
>>16069289
>Audrey Hepburn
>>16068919
>>
>Godzilla can shoot lasers from his tail now.

How long before he learns Burn Knuckle?
>>
>>16069204
Was cool seeing all those monsters in one film, that's about it. Something like that hasn't been done before.
>>
>>16069255
Why do people love Monster Zero so much then?
>>
File: MZ.png (229 KB, 500x348)
229 KB
229 KB PNG
>>16069876
Because the characters of Monster Zero are actually interesting. Seriously, that movie has one of the best casts in the entire series and is handily the best alien invasion Godzilla film. Whenever anyone sings praises to DAM it's normally limited to "it has a bunch of monsters."
>>
>>16069204
Has some nice imagery regarding the monsters and the space stuff, memorable tunes, and the end fight is a marvel of suitmation and puppetry choreography. Other than that, it's painfully dull and the minimal monster screentime leaves you feeling cheated. I get that it was sort of a big deal when it came out (or are old fans just exaggerating their childhood excitement?), but that's long past now. It's one of those cases where the poster is far more interesting that the movie.
Fuck, imagine if Ghidorah was an actual threat and Baragon, Varan and Manda joined in on the gangrape. Although all that wirework would probably have made the crew hang themselves instead of the monsters.
>>
>>16069876
>implying Monster Zero is boring
>>>/trash/
>>
File: 1508989635942.jpg (276 KB, 1134x833)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>16069890
I watch Godzilla movies for the monsters, the characters are always secondary to that.
Monster Zero absolutely undersold the monsters. Godzilla, previously a dire threat to humanity in the 1964 movies, is a joke who gets abducted and brainwashed by aliens with little to no effort or explanation, and Ghidorah also gets nerved by being a pet for the aliens. On top of this, the fights feel contrived; the outer space fight has no impact on the story whatsoever since Ghidorah is being controlled by the aliens, and isn't actually a threat to them. The last fight is alright, but mostly just feels like a retread of what we saw in Ghidorah the three headed monster.

DAM portrays the monsters as more docile, but still capable of destruction; they get caught off-guard by the aliens with sleeping gas (IIRC) and get brainwashed while incapacitated, which feels a lot more believable than in Monster 0 which leaves this part poorly explained. Ghidorah of course is still being controlled by aliens, but they at least have the decency to save him for the end of the movie. The fight at the end feels a lot more climactic despite a few monsters getting left out, especially the duel between Ghidorah and Anguirus (my two favorite Showa monsters so I might be biased). Seeing an underdog monster take on the big bad one on one was very surprising considering most Showa fights were centered around Godzilla and whoever he was fighting.

A lot of it comes down to preference, but /m/ hyping up Monster Zero and shitting all of GtTHM and DAM is very jarring to me.

Of course it has been a while since I've seen DAM, but GTTHM and Astro Monster are still fresh in my mind.
>>
>>16069967
Mommy!
>>
File: masers.webm (2.63 MB, 852x360)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB WEBM
This thread could use some more masers.
>>
File: JSDF vs Godzilla gvb.webm (2.95 MB, 934x480)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
>>
>>16069967
There's a string of 60's films where I'd argue that Godzilla really isn't meant to be the focus and are more retroactively streamlined into a single franchise. He gets second billing in King Kong vs. and Mothra vs., is outside the title in the who ghidorah movies and only gets top billing again for Ebirah's debut. I don't think Toho intended Godzilla to take the main role between King Kong vs and Son of Godzilla, it mostly just fell into it due to his popularity rising above others. Astro Monster is more a general toho Sci-fi movie with godzilla as a co-star than how the later Showa movies and beyond have been, where it's basically Godzilla vs.____.

Also you really get no mileage out of the movies just focussing on the monsters, you might as well just watch youtube clips instead of the movies. For better or worse, the movies have always been structured as sci-fi or disaster movies where the disaster is personified.
>>
File: JSDF vs Godzilla GvM.webm (2.99 MB, 934x480)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>>
File: Adams and Mizuno.jpg (323 KB, 738x1145)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
>>16069967

I want good movies and I judge Godzilla movies like any other. Therefore I need more than action and destruction to keep me content. That means human characters and the story matter. Along with cinematography, editing, etc. Taking all of that into account, I wholly believe Monster Zero stands head and shoulders above DAM (which is an inferior retread).

Godzilla and Rodan were sleeping when captured. Isn't that also catching them off guard? I don't see how this is such a problem for you. Both fights make perfect sense. The Xiliens are stringing humanity along for their amusement and also buying time to conduct research/establish themselves on Earth. The battle in space was merely to keep up appearances until they were ready to reveal themselves. Plus it was just neat. Space Race the rage at the time. As for the climatic fight, after the monsters are freed from mind control, it makes perfect sense for Godzilla and Rodan to immediately attack King Ghidorah. One thing I really like is how Godzilla and Rodan are forced to adapt to the new circumstances. Initially they try the same thing they did in the previous movie but the strategy falls flat without Mothra. Both are left to either hide or take the full of extent of Ghidorah's electric barrage. There is also the best city destruction sequence of the 60s.

>>16070010
This guy is right. Notice how Godzilla gets second billing or is absent from the title until the 70s. At the time he was largely just another monster in an extended universe. Remember that Mothra and Rodan were hits too. Toho wanted other monsters to fall back on, though nothing caught on like Godzilla and by the end of the Showa Era he was routinely receiving title billing. Practicality probably also played a huge factor. Godzilla does not require the extensive wire work that Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah do and as the budgets decreased Toho probably wanted to get away from the wires.
>>
DAM was pretty cool, but some of the monsters and their scenes being re-written for other kaiju irks me.
Godzilla, who apparently shrunk in size, chased military men through the woods. Why couldn't they have used Varan for that scene? Godzilla, in that scene, looks to be 10 meters, Varan's 10 meters in DAM.

The whole Baragon debacle. They constructed a new head for the fucker, but never used the suit in a full on scene, just for Monster Land, a monitor in monster land, and in puppet form.

Kamacuras even makes a cameo, as a dead corpse Kumonga walks over on his way to Mt. Fuji.

>>16070077
Ghidorah appeared in ZoneFighter, 1973, and had the best wire work since Monster Zero. In GvsGigan, he's static.
>>
>>16069349
desu would look a lot better if it kept the same facial proportions as regular Goji
>>
File: japanese size chart.jpg (242 KB, 1280x728)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>
File: Godzilla's Revenge.jpg (673 KB, 1006x1182)
673 KB
673 KB JPG
>All Monsters Attack
Special Effects by: Sadamasa Arikawa, Teruyoshi Nakano, and Ishiro Honda (Official credit to Eiji Tsuburaya)
Music by: Kunio Miyauchi, Lilly Sasaki, and Gendai Kano
Year of Release: 1969

Inspired by the Toei's Animation Festival and Daiei's Gamera Series, All Monsters Attack becomes the first film produced for the Toho Champion Festival and is aimed squarely at young children. As a cost cutting measure, most of the visual effects are pulled from the previous two Godzilla films at the request of Producer Tomoyuki Tanaka. It sold a million tickets less than Destroy All Monsters and the first Godzilla film to sell less than 2 million tickets.
>>
>>16071259
Legitimately underrated. Yeah it has stock footage, but for the story it's telling it doesn't have a negative effect. A lot of the commentary Honda put into it gets missed by fans who only want monster action.
>>
Indirectly Godzilla related, but there is a kickstarter for a kaiju movie involving one of the people who worked on the original Varan (not sure if the designer or sculptor or both):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/383287682/keizo-murase-is-back-monster-suit-production-campa
>>
>>16069204
monster fight at the end is great, but the movie itself overrated. Definitely not the best showa movie. It's a high mid range showa movie.
>>
>>16072158
>Blah blah fuck kickstarter blahblah
That outta the way, neat.
>>
>>16072158
>(((kickstarter)))
Every kayjew thing on Kickstarter fails. Just look at Kaiju Combat and Kaiju Gaiden.
>>
File: Murase_Book_Blog.jpg (268 KB, 400x565)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>16072158
I forgot, the guy is also known for a book full of behind the scenes pictures of the kaiju movies he worked for.
>>
>>16072182
Kaiju Combat got taken over by the furry mafia, different from a scam
>>
File: m#9.jpg (63 KB, 516x394)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>16072158
>kickstarter
>>
>>16072201
I thought the only Furry addition was Duncan. Are there more? The project's updates are slow as shit so I never know.
>>
File: nani.jpg (43 KB, 390x263)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>16060954
>tumblr
don't have one, m8
>>
>>16072201
>believing the furry mafia thing

There's no proof that was even a thing. A pastebin doesn't count. It failed cause one of the devs died and the rest of the team didn't think it was worth their time.
>>
>>16072218
The fat dinosaur came from some fatfur vorefag, but he was at least somewhat subtle.

I also recall there being some giant female hyena kaiju.
>>
>>16072285
I thought that dinosaur was cool too, a living black hole that only existed to eat. I had no idea it was supposed to be fethisist at the time, I was more innocent back then.
>>
>>16072182
>Kaiju Combat
What happened to that and when will an American developer produce a console Godzilla game again? Pipeworks and Atari trilogy ended a decade ago. This seems like the perfect time. Throw it on the PS4 for a good American and Japanese install base.
>>
File: hf.jpg (195 KB, 1200x900)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>16072158
I like the monster's design, especially the branches and twigs.
>>
File: AMA.jpg (99 KB, 1267x702)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>16071259
A frustrating film. Behind excessive amounts of stock footage lies a genuinely heartwarming coming-of-age tale. A young boy, unintentionally neglected by his parents, learns important life lessons from his favorite fictional character in order to survive in his industrial nightmare and gradually matures. If you were to play this concept completely straight, excising the juvenility (including Minilla) and recycled footage, this would rank among the greatest of Godzilla films. You have the right actors and director to pull something like that off. Even the score is befitting of the material and pleasant on the ears. However, all of that is marred by Toho's mandate to direct this at the youngest possible audience and to blatantly reuse footage from the previous films without concern of internal continuity. I would have been all for limited Godzilla screen time as long as the new effects sequences were memorable and well done (see Monster Zero). Studio Ghilbli and Pixar has shown repeatedly over the years that it's possible to produce nuanced and quality children films, so I won't accept "it was for children" as excuse for the flaws of this movie. Nevertheless, even in its actual form, it's an interesting experiment.
>>
>>16071259
I have always liked this one. It was one of the movies I watched all the time as a kid, I had never seen the movies that are recycled here so it was just a godzilla movie to me. Looking past the nostalgia, I enjoy the story of a kid standing up to bullies (And criminals)
I understand the hate it gets, but I think most people are too harsh
Give it a watch if you haven't
>>
>>16072296

>literally called "Macrosaurus"
>couldn't pick up on the vore and micro/macro fetish shit

It's subtle compared to that fucking Kangaroo, but damn. Why do furries ruin everything?
>>
Are any of the godzilla comics good? I own the collection of the marvel run but it's the marvel essentials which I'm not a big fan of
>>
>Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Director: Yoshimitsu Banno
Special Effects by: Teruyoshi Nakano
Music by: Riichiro Manabe
Written by: Yoshimitsu Banno and Takeshi Kimura
Year of Release: 1971

With Tomoyuki Tanaka in the hospital and not around to micromanage things, Yoshimitsu Banno, in his directorial debut, uses Godzilla to comment on the what was an international hot topic at the time: pollution. Given barely over a month to completely shoot the film, an unusually small production crew, and less than half the budget of the previous films; Banno took a less conventional approach in bringing his environmentally conscious film to life. Although Ishiro Honda was sent by Tanaka to aid Banno during production, Tanaka was ultimately unsatisfied with the final product and did not allow Banno to touch the series (or another film for that matter) again. Despite Tanaka's misgivings, this film saw a slight upswing in box performance after All Monsters Attack and would be the second highest grossing Godzilla film of the 70s.
>>
>>16073519
>Tanaka was ultimately unsatisfied with the final product and did not allow Banno to touch the series (or another film for that matter) again.
Wathever people may think of Toho Kingdom I highly recommend this article that deals with this annoying myth:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/2017-05-28_yoshimitsu_banno_in_memoriam.html

I also recommend this interview with the director:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1dL7lA7bss
>>
File: Godzilla Fans.jpg (86 KB, 960x661)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>16052058
The best entry in the series (even if Shin got close) and a true classic of film. Had a real dream team behind the producation, with Eiji Tsubaraya, Akira Ifukube, and Ishiro Honda. The apocalyptic view of Tokyo aflame is one of the best moments in cinema. A lot of monster movies could learn from the original's tone ad pacing.

>>16053690
Under appreciated, though no where near as good as the original. This really suffers from existing before they figured out how to make kaiju fights good. Still, it has its moments and is the last film to have a dark tone for a while.

>>16056553
THE ENDING IS SUCH BULLSHIT! IT WAS OBVIOUS GODZILLA JUST GOT BURIED BY THE LANDSLIDE (considering he comes out of the ground next movie) SO THAT SHOULD IN NO WAY COUNT AS A KONG WIN! Otherwise, enjoyable if schlocky, and where the fights really start getting good.

>>16059106
Never found it as good as people say, but still up there for a Showa film. Godzilla retains his scariness and the human plot is enjoyable, for once.

>>16061062
A tad overly complicated, but worth it for the amount of kaiju action we get. Ghidorah is very threatening and I enjoyed the sense of continuity that started building with this film.

>>16063088
Boring as fuck. Never got why people liked this movie. There's way too much human stuff that fails to be interesting, and the final fight is forgettable compared to the last movie. One of my least favorite films in the series.

>>16064961
A fan, lazy-Sunday movie. Ebirah doesn't come off as much of a threat, but I enjoyed the James Bond-style antics of the Red Bamboo. The music is severely underrated.

>>16067623
Horrible Godzilla suit, no real city destruction, unmemorable monsters, and unfunny comedy. Minya is also terrible. However, it does have a fantastic ending.
(1/2)
>>
File: Godzilla Faces.jpg (388 KB, 1407x1057)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
>>16073572

>>16069204
Really fun monster romp, and the first time in a while we got extended city destruction scenes. The final fight is an absolute blast. Only bad part is my all time favorite kaiju, Varan, got largely cut from the film

>>16071259
Fuck this movie. Fuck everything this movie stands for. Maybe good to get really, really little kids into the series, but there is a clear point where people should stop ever watching this film. Though, I will say, I quite like Gabara and his electric grip power.

>>16073519
Underrated and great entry in the Showa series. Sure, it's weird, but Hedorah is a legitimately great kaiju and the first real threat Godzilla fought in a while. I know a lot of people hate this film, but I think it's one of the best in the later Showa era.
>>
>>16073519
I love this movie. It's one of my go to godzilla movies if I'm trying to show someone showa godzilla. It's just really fun and strange.
>>
File: 1511998222561.gif (2.4 MB, 424x530)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB GIF
>>16073572
>>16073579
I find myself agreeing with pretty much all of these. How do you feel about GMK?
>>
File: 002d7c13.jpg (300 KB, 1095x1111)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>16073519
I dig the fuck out of G v The Smog Monster
I like how it actually gets back to the "monster = thing humanity really faces" and really clearly killed the fuck out of people.
the weird trippy shit's fun too

and I think Hedorah is the only kaiju to get on a Frank Zappa album cover
>>
>>16073621
It's in my top three, next to Shin and original. Was originally my number 2, but Shin blew it out of the water. GMK Godzilla has one of the best designs though.

My only regret is that they didn't go with the original plan of having Varan, Anguirus, and Baragon be the guardian beasts. Would have been a lot better, as those three are kinda similar in being quadrupeds, and you would get a "sky, earth, underworld" theme going with them.
>>
>>16073519
One of my favorite Godzilla films, mostly on the basis that it's refreshingly different. A lot of these films tend to feel samey, but this one stands out in almost every way, despite featuring thematic similarities and references to the original, and also having some of the silliness of the later movies. I just really hate Godzilla's new theme music.
Hedorah's one of those monsters where I don't care much for the design, but love how its effects were realized on film.
>>
>>16073669
My fucking nigger, GMK, 54, and Shin are also my favorites.

I'm not sure how I feel about the monster choice. I would definitely swap Mother out for Anguirus, but the King Ghidorah design we got in GMK is just too perfect to pass up.
>>
File: Varan.jpg (79 KB, 573x333)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>16073682
Really? I never liked GMK Ghidorah. His necks were too short, and he didn't feel as majestic. Though, his face does incorporate designs from Varan, since Varan was going to be the original final fight.
>>
>>16073627
Can't spell /mu/ without /m/.
>>
>>16073689
Different anon here but I've always hated ghidora design in gmk, I can't explain why but something about the positioning of his necks? I'm not sure if it's because they are too short for me, but something is off
>>
>>16073729
It's a shame, because Godzilla, Mothra, and Baragon all look great in the film, the latter two having their best designs in that film.
>>
File: s-l1600-688.jpg (152 KB, 856x1023)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
anyone have this book?

Im looking for stuff with lots of behind the scenes pics from the Godzilla movies 1970s-1990s
>>
>>16073689
>>16073729
Guess I'm the only one who likes him. I just really like the head design, and I think the shorter necks make him more stoic looking and less goofy.
>>
>>16069233
>Most of the monsters are glorified cameos
That hit me right in the feels harder than the mining explosive hit Varan.
>>
File: slime.jpg (77 KB, 1058x523)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>16073519
The best of the latter Showa Era films and one the best films in the entire franchise. The human characters are interesting, Hedorah is an intimidating opponent, the score works with the material quite well, the special effects are consistently solid (a major achievement at this point in the series), and Banno's deviation from traditional filmmaking standards really does the film quite a few favors. The musical numbers and animated interludes are a welcome and unique addition. Godzilla vs Hedorah manages to simultaneously be one of the darkest and lightest of Godzilla films, critical towards both authoritarianism and the counterculture movement of the time, and addresses a serious problem in an interesting manner. I also appreciate the minor similarities this movie shares with Gojira (1954). Hedorah's path of destruction seems inspired by that of the original Godzilla and is "defeated" by a scientist sporting a bandage over one eye. Dr. Yano even as a fish tank filled with fish that are killed later in the movie.
>>
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters has made $3 million so far over the course of three weeks and is expected to finish with $4-$4.5 million by the end of its run. Unless the next two installments are amazing or well advertised, expect diminishing returns with each subsequent release and probably only $10 million for the entire trilogy. Even as a limited release (158 theaters), this outcome is at least a little disappointing with it coming out on the heels of the massive success that was Shin Godzilla. Allegedly the merchandise isn't doing too well either (Shin Godzilla merchandise is outselling it).
>>
>Godzilla vs. Gigan
Music by: Kunio Miyauchi and Susumu Ishikawa
Written by: Takeshi Kimura and Shinichi Sekizawa
Year of Release: 1972

In this installment, aliens plot to use King Ghidorah and Gigan as the means to vanquish Godzilla and bring about "world peace". Tanaka intended this as a course correction for the series after Banno's unorthodox Godzilla film the year prior. The original concept for this film was far more ambitious than the finished project, however, those plans were dashed by tight budget restrictions. To save both time and money, the film uses an extensive amount of stock footage and borrows heavily from Akira Ikufube's library of music for its score. Nevertheless, it was a success at box office and became the highest grossing Godzilla film of the 1970s with an attendance of 1.78 million. How does /m/ feel about Godzilla vs Gigan?
>>
>>16075567
Considering it was supposed to be a regular series that was just chopped into three movies I'm not surprised
>>
>>16075567
Is it really a surprise? Its a CGI anime with one of the most unappealing Godzilla designs ever.
>>
File: 1385623469970.jpg (390 KB, 1261x1749)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
>>16075596
>How does /m/ feel about Godzilla vs Gigan?
It's silly, uses the alien invasion plot for the eighty-third time, and uses stock footage from Ghidorah and Destroy All Monsters for half the battle footage.
That said it was my favorite movie as a kid because it had my 4 favorite monsters all in the same movie, so I love it and it'll always have a place on my shelf.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (301 KB, 1340x544)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>16075596
>How does /m/ feel about Godzilla vs Gigan?
It introduced one of the best kaiju designs ever (pic related).
>>
>>16075596
I enjoyed Gigan more than the rest of the film put together. That guy was awesome, fuck that Meteor son of a bitch for killing him.
>>
>>16075567
J U S T
>>
>>16060253
I...

I thought he was fun to play in uh...

He was fun to play in Save the Earth...
>>
>>16075596
One of my favorites, somehow. Nonexistent budget and ridiculous cost-cutting aside, it's pretty fun and I like the long tagteam match at the end. But maybe I'm only forgiving of it cause this was one of the first Godzilla movies I managed to find in good quality. At that point I haven't seen the other movies it borrows footage from, so while the shifts between the new and old scenes were mostly noticeable, I didn't mind them too much.
Gigan's a great monster and has a decent city destruction, and the slow-mo fight scenes are kinda mesmerizing. Shame about everything related to Ghidorah, though. He retroactively got his reputation wrecked even more.

When I read that book by David Kalat, I found his analysis of the movie's supposed symbolism pretty fascinating, even if a lot of it sounded like reaching. According to him, the film hides a self-reflective criticism of the real-life commercialization and simplification of kaiju characters that was plaguing the genre at the time.
>>
File: Gigan.jpg (247 KB, 1478x1000)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>16075596
Honestly, I like it more than I really should. The human plot is surprisingly entertaining, and the final fight is fun, if a bit undramatic. Seeing Anguirus team up with Godzilla is a ton of fun, and Gigan is a pretty cool monster, even if he is vastly improved by his Final Wars appearance.

Fun fact: I only owned this movie on VHS for a long time, even after the advent of DVDs.
>>
>>16075655
>Godzilla vs Redmoon
>>
File: Cigarettes.jpg (16 KB, 492x358)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>16075596
>>
I love the tag team Godzilla movies. Gigan is an insane design, cockroach aliens, a godzilla theme park, there is lots to love in this movie

But I've always found it to be slow, and the use of stock footage is pretty bad. When I showed this one to a friend he fell asleep. I can understand loving or hating this movie, a true mid ground godzilla movie.
>>
>>16075596
I always thought the part where Godzilla tower gets destroyed was awesome, especially when they turn back to the cockroaches.
>>
>>16062917
Are the Criterion's Godzilla releases still in print? Or am I going to have to scour the internet?
>>
>>16077068
Criterion has only released the original Godzilla, which is still in print.
>>
>>16075596
Not only did this movie introduce Gigan, it also established Godzilla and Anguirus as BFF in the minds of audiences. I'm thanksful for that.
Also this shot is awesome.
>>
File: Godzilla vs Megalon.jpg (175 KB, 623x729)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>Godzilla vs. Megalon
Music by: Riichiro Manabe and Masato Shimon
Written by: Takeshi Kimura, Jun Fukuda and Shinichi Sekizawa
Year of Release: 1973

Tired of humanity's mindless mistreatment of the Earth and the disruptions its causes, a subterranean civilization sends Megalon and Gigan to destroy the surface dwellers once and for all. Realizing he can't save the world alone, Jet Jaguar summons Godzilla to join the fight for everlasting peace. This film began life as a contest Toho held for children to create a new tokusatsu character to star in its own feature film. However, Jet Jaguar, the end result of the contest, was determined to be unable to carry an entire film on his own. Weeks after the project's cancellation, Producer Tomoyuki Tanaka revived it and threw in Godzilla and Gigan for good measure. Additionally, he dismissed the lost time as spilled milk and the film was rushed to completion. Many corners were cut in the race to the finish line, as exemplified by the film's barrenness and haphazardness, and it became the first Godzilla film to sell less than a million tickets (980,000 to be exact). What will your verdict on this one be, /m/?
>>
>>16077470
I enjoy Godzilla's suit, Megalon, and the entire opening scene/score that just jumps from an epic seriousness to just the most goofy shit there is.
>>
>>16077470
It's just dorky cheese. Probably wouldn't have as bad a reputation if it hadn't been so notorious and widely publicized in the US. But since it did, it inadvertently tarnished the brand name too much.
On its own, yes, it's a shoddily made, cheap, clueless and cynically dumbed down picture, but it's charming in a way. Though it fits the tone, Godzilla's behavior is way too human-like, but Gigan and Megalon make for a fun duo, and I liked how Gigan bailed when things weren't looking good for him. What an asshole. I want to see different villains cooperate and team up on Godzilla in better made future films.
>>
File: 0212.jpg (179 KB, 640x480)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>16077470
it's less awful when you watch a better copy than that ugly pan-and-scan version the USA threw around for a while
>>
>>16077315
Oh, so the photo in the post I quoted are photoshops? Shit.

Do you know who sells all of the godzilla movies? I cant find an online shop on toho website.
>>
>>16077549
They're official. Those posters are icons for streaming services that Criterion participates in. They haven't announced a physical release yet.

Criterion picked up most of their Showa titles from Classic Media, whose box set can still be found on Amazon for around 40 bucks. A few of the others were held by Media Blasters and 10 years ago, Sony.

Gigan, Sea Monster, Hedorah and Godzilla 1984 were released by Kraken.

Biollante was released by Miramax.

Sony has the rights to all the other Heisei movies and the Millennium series and finally, Shin is over at Funimation.
>>
Does anyone have the torrent with about 30 movies? It was up always on /torrent before but has recently gone away. Its so hard to find some of the gojira movies.
>>
>>16071196
jesus christ.

I didn't think Shin would be topped for a while.

We need this next to a building scale chart.
>>
File: Yeti.jpg (28 KB, 331x538)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>16078773
AnimeGoji, in the prequel novel, survives 2,000 nukes being dropped on him while he's visiting the Snowman in the Himalayas.
>>
>>16078891
>2000 nukes
just fry my atmosphere senpai
>>
>>16078906
Well the fact they dropped them on Godzilla, the nuke swallower...
>>
File: Jet Jaguar Matt Frank.jpg (181 KB, 480x630)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>16077470
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it's actually a lot more boring than people think. It's really, really slow until the end, and the fight isn't even that interesting except for the infamous slide kick.

Jet Jaguar is pretty cool though.
>>
File: delicious.jpg (58 KB, 547x973)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>16075596
Stars the sexiest woman of the Godzilla series and has one of the most interesting casts of all the films. Seriously, these people are amusing to watch. Unfortunately the film is done in by blatantly inconsistent stock footage and low production values. Almost Fukuda's best effort, though still entertaining if you can tolerate the stock footage.
>>
File: Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla.jpg (480 KB, 1006x1183)
480 KB
480 KB JPG
>Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
Written by: Jun Fukuda, Masami Fukushima, Shinichi Sekizawa, Hiroyasu Yamamura
Year of Release: 1974

Reeling from the massive drop in attendance the previous year, Toho increases the budget for Godzilla's 20th anniversary celebration and Fukuda goes all out on his final contribution to the series. Here Godzilla and the ancient guardian of Okinawa, King Caesar, do battle against the bionic monster of the Black Hole Planet 3 Aliens, MechaGodzilla, for the sake of the world. Was this a home-run or misfire, /m/?
>>
>>16079229
I watched this yesterday after years and years of being traumatized by the scene were my favorite monster gets wrekt by Mecha G.

Needless to say, it still holds up today. Mecha G is one of the coolest and most intimidating Godzilla villains by far, and the villains were creepy as hell. Acting was meh and Seesar was pretty underutilized despite the hype, but aside from that, I feel like this is a movie I'll come back to a lot.
>>
>>16079229
This one encapsulates the public perception of Showa being cheesy b-movies while not actually being bad at all. My favorite of the era.
>>
I miss Mecha Godzilla being the villain.

But I'm curious to see a movie where he's an ally.
>>
>>16079298
I haven't seen the later MechaG movies, but isn't he a good guy in those ones? We're also getting a good guy Mecha G in the next anime movie
>>
>>16079229
Mechagodzilla's Big Band theme is one of my favorite tracks in a kaiju movie
>>
>>16079334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cnYJE2iCo

Easily one of my favorites, I also like how Mechagodzilla has 'MG' stamped on him, just in case you didn't know who he is
>>
>>16079229
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmlXRA9VGJ4
Probably my favorite introduction to a Godzilla villain. Also King Caesar is one of my favorite Godzilla allies. People always rag on him about getting beat down, but he's the defender of Okinawa dammit and he's doing his best. Not to mention he was able to damage the supposedly indestructible space titanium once Godzilla gave him an opening.
>>
>>16079229
Great music, crazy explosions, nice monster design. I like the updates they did on the Godzilla suit, though it still isn't a favorite of mine. I love MG's and even King Caesar's designs -- a kind of mammalian monster for a change, with enough fantastical-mythological elements to make it distinct. Nice locales, too.
Outside of those surface-level aspects, though, I don't really care for this one. The aliens being apes always seemed weird to me, I know Japan loved talking ape films, but within the context of the movie, it comes off as so random. I like them otherwise, just wish they got more creative with their true selves (unless there's a cryptic reference or symbolism I'm missing about them being apes).
The human element is meh, never gave much of a shit about any of these characters, but they serve their purpose and have some memorable moments. However the way overacting old guy, Godzilla's humanlike movements and other silly elements clash with how straight-faced the movies seems to be about itself.
While I like Caesar conceptually, his role is a huge disappointment. I realize he's up against fucking Mechagodzilla, but he could have lasted a bit longer. And that million eon long song should have been a lot shorter in turn. A lot of people say the film has good pacing, I don't remember it well enough to agree or disagree with that, but the song number stalls the events way too much.
On a side note, this is the only toku movie I saw in my native language, which was a surreal and awkward experience, as clearly no one involved with the dub knew the slightest shit about the franchise.
>>
>>16079229
Great music and a real return to quality after the last few films were pretty sub-par. Mechagodzilla is a great foe and battles with him are a special effects spectacle. While I ultimately think its sequel is better, Terror being my second favorite Showa film, this is still a worthy entry.
>>
File: MP.jpg (204 KB, 1200x741)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>Unused designs for AniGoji
>>
>>16079697
doggozilla is a cute
>>
>>16079697
OH NO NO NO
>>
>>16079697
Oh shit, it's Falcor.
>>
>>16079697
As stupid as it is at least Falcorzilla would have stood out more.
>>
>>16079697
Is this Katsuya Terada?
Man, this style really did not translate to the 3d model at all.
>>
>>16079697
When will they understand that we literally just want a CG version of man in suit godzilla that moves more fluidly?

I dont get why they keep playing with his design so radically recently. I thought with aniGoji they would pull a 'secret biollante' thing with it, but it seems its just big and ugly. At least Shin pushed a weird mutation angle that explained why it was so bizarre.
>>
File: Ultra cameos.png (572 KB, 798x478)
572 KB
572 KB PNG
So, rewatched Godzilla vs Gigan, and this was in the manga producer's office, a poster showing a gaggle of Ultraman and Ultraseven Kaiju and Aliens. Does...Does Ultraman as a series exist in the Godzilla universe, as a tv show and manga?
>>
>>16075567
I believe it, but source?
>>
>>16078960
Why not just use nerve agents and shit? Is he immune?
>>
>>16080691

He’s a plant. No nerves.
>>
>>16075567
>cgi shit
>bland, safe designs
>no waifus (Shin had NotRei UNFFF and NotAsuka)
>boring ass stroy

>isn't doing too well
How can this possible be true
>>
>Show newcomers Shin you said
>it's the best thing to do you guys said

The reception to Shin amongst newcomers for me has been lukewarm at best and people laughing hysterically at every scene Godzilla is in.

I had a little voice in my head saying that showing people the least faithful, bizzaire version of the character on film was a bad idea.

So why does every person ever when asked say to show Shin to people first, in retrospect it's a horrible idea.

>>16075567
>make him a fucking plant
>why it no doing well?
>>
>>16080825
Honestly if you want to show newcomers something, show them the 1954 original. Shin tends to spill its heart out in a lot of scenes, which normies tend not to like
>>
>>16056504
That's an awesome idea. I don't know how Herzog would do it as an arthouse monster movie since he is known for carefully choosing his angles when making an epic. Aguirre is technically an epic in all but budget.
>>
>>16080839
I've been experimenting with finding the right movies for newcomers, 54 and G14 had the best normie reception by far and they really liked GMK

And no, after the absolute disaster that was showing friends and family Shin I will not be taking any suggestions from other G fans.
>>
>>16080825
>laughing hysterically at every scene Godzilla is in
I hate normies so much
>>
>>16080845
You gotta admit turkeyzilla is fucking hilarious
>>
>>16080841
>GMK

Wow, really? It's one of my favorite entries, but I had no idea it was also normie friendly
>>
>>16080880
they loved the allegories to the Japanese warcrime denial

normies deserve a bit more credit than they get on here
>>
>>16080825
I agree with >>16080839, the original's the only one I'd recommend to a total outsider, should the hypothetical case arise that anyone would ever talk to me about anything and that thing happened to be Godzilla movies. Honestly, I only ever talked to one person about Godzilla stuff in real life, and he didn't show much interest beyond acknowledging that the franchise is a thing that exists.
Regarding '54, it might also be beneficial to give newfags a short heads-up of the film's background, because while the nuclear analogy is very obvious, there's other things the movie touches on, like post-war Jap society in general. Maybe they'd appreciate the film better with some additional context, and understand why it's highly praised. But it still stands strong on its own.

Shin I'd avoid for as long as possible, it's so far removed from the typical mainstream shit your average western movie viewer would be used to. The political and bureaucratic commentary, the old-school homages, the rationale behind making the CG Godzilla look rubbery, and general Annoshit. I've seen normies react to the trailers and Godzilla's design before it came out and it wasn't pretty.
For instance it's my impression that most people still don't get why Godzilla isn't portrayed in a bit more "realistic" manner, and instead of trying to understand why this is, they just bitch about it. One complaint I repeatedly saw is that he stands upright, drags his tail and is too invulnerable, which is completely missing the point, since Godzilla is a fucking monster and is unrealistic on purpose.
>>
>>16080940
>I've seen normies react to the trailers and Godzilla's design before it came out and it wasn't pretty

Yeah, I was talking to a friend about how there was a new Japanese film being made and when I showed him the design he had the most genuine look of disgust I have ever seen
>>
I think Godzilla vs. Hedorah is a great introduction for friends IF you tell them that it IS supposed to be weird and different compared to the other Godzilla movies. The insanity and creativity may make up for any preconceptions they may have about old special effects and the like.
>>
>>16080244
There is also an Ultraman toy blurry in the background at the begining of Godzilla vs. Hedorah when the kid is playing with his Godzilla toys. Baragon and King Ghidorah are also there,
>>
>>16080940
I'll always find it amusog that my teenage self thought Godzilla was for faggots. One of.my.best friends has been a huge godzilla fan his whole life and always made us watch them during sleepovers. And all I would do is make fun of him.

Flash forward to now. Bought the Ultraman dvd at Walmart for 10 bucks about 6 years ago. Since then ive watched every heisei rider, several ultramen, and about 15 sentai shows. Plus every godzilla and gamera movie of course.

And my friend and I still hang out and watch toku every week. What happened
>>
Quick guys, vapor heat ray or concentrated heat ray?
>>
>>16080995
I hated Tohozilla around when I was 10 and loved that Sony's one looked different. But I was always curious about oldschool monster movies and that curiosity got the best of me as a teen. I looked into Godzilla expecting trash, and yeah, there was some trash, a lot if you also factor in the fanbase, but I found unexpected merit too.

>>16081002
Concentrated looks better, but I'd like Godzilla to use both depending on the situation at hand. One for quick, precise damage and one for spreading a far-reaching death cloud. Like how Shin did it with the gas, fire and beam.
>>
>>16081077
>a lot if you factor in the fanbase

This, I guarantee you if the fanbase was larger everyone would consider it one of the worst fanbases ever. It's a tumor, but it's too small to be noticed.

Why is it so bad anyways?
>I like this version of a radiation spewing dinosaur than that version
>*unholy screeching*
>>
>>16080825
I've shown Shin Godzilla to a few people with no interest in the genre (you would call them normies) and they responded to it quite well. Aside from a few dodgy Kamata-kun moments and Godzilla's brief stumble following the "Who Will Know" sequence, the effects are fine. Shin Godzilla is one of the more accessible films in the series along with Godzilla (1954) and GMK. Provided you don't mind older films, the usual Showa Era suspects like Mothra vs Godzilla and Monster Zero come next. Godzilla 2000 (the superior American cut) isn't a bad starting point either. Where else would you start newcomers unless you want to reinforce negative stereotypes that hang over this series? Name movies and give reasons, anons.
>>
>>16081109
>Why is it so bad anyways?
Niche interest most normal people can't take seriously, allowing for a large concentration of geeks, kids and general autists to amass and spew their inbred notions about old or obscure foreign genre films, mostly of questionable quality, originating from a culture most fans are unfamiliar with. There's also the monster fight aspect, which draws in people who see the movies through DBZ-style "who's stronger than who" lenses and they overshadow attempts at a deeper discourse.
It didn't help that there was very little new stuff to discuss for a full decade, and that decade happened to coincide with a huge boom in internet usage. The desperate, shitty state of the community sort of got normalized. Maybe if the franchise had been bigger and more relevant, then the fanbase wouldn't have become so secluded and, as I said, feeling like it suffers from inbreeding. For that matter, going back to the topic of normies, I've seen a few of them who were surprised that there's a Godzilla fandom to begin with. It's a shame that the franchise fell off the map between 2004-2014. That would have been a prime time to reach wider audiences, but instead of that, the giant monster genre's image during that period got even more tainted by Syfy/Asylum movies, and the memory of G'98.
Anyway, fanbases tend to be shitty and full of elitists and extremists by default, especially ones as old as this. So there's hardly a straight answer. I wonder what the Japanese fanbase is like, they're closer to the source and the brand is more mainstream for them.
>>
File: gfans.png (129 KB, 468x310)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>16081352
So basically this?

The elitism is a huge fucking issue, the fact the head of Gfan magazine is a huge fucking cunt speaks volumes about the community
>>
File: Terror of MechaGodzilla.jpg (351 KB, 1007x1181)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
>Terror of MechaGodzilla
Written by: Yukiko Takayama
Year of Release: 1975

Pleased with the success of Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla, Tomoyuki Tanaka felt it was time to return to the days of yore. But despite reusing the popular antagonist from the last film, distancing the tone even further from that of Godzilla Vs Megalon, convincing Honda and Ifukube back to the director and composer chairs respectively, and keeping the budget at level comparable to its direct predecessor; nothing could save Terror of MechaGodzilla from ending up as the lowest grossing Godzilla film of all time with a mere 970,000 tickets sold. With that the Showa Era came to a close and there would not be another Godzilla film for almost ten years (the longest gap in the series' history). Terror of MechaGodzilla is notable for being Ishiro Honda's final Godzilla film, the only Godzilla film to be written by a woman, and the last time MechaGodzilla was a villain. Feel free to share your thoughts on the last chapter of the Showa Era of Godzilla.
>>
>>16080825
Shin is awesome for people who
A. Already love the original or
B. Keep up with current events and politics in Japan
But I really wouldn't expect just anyone to appreciate it.
>>
>>16079833
So the plant thing was just a rumor after all? He just happens to be green like the old Imperial toy?
>>
>>16081435
A really underrated movie. Maybe on par with Destroy All Monsters. I love the grimmer tone and the more realistic design for Titanosaurus (one of my favorite kaiju with one of my favorite kaiju roars.) I love the climactic fight despite its goofier moments, and one of the best entrances of Big G ever. On top of that Katsura Mafune (Tomoko Ai) is one of the most beautiful Toho sirens of the showa era.
>>
>>16081512
nigga terror of mecha g is considered one of the best of the showa era by the fandom
>>
>>16081435
So did Titanosaurus die? :(
And did Godzilla stomp those kids?
>>
File: ToM.jpg (74 KB, 600x595)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>16081435
Mixed bag. It has its high highs, though it also has its fair share of lows. Starting with the positives: Katsura is one of the most interesting and tragic characters in the series, Godzilla has an awesome entrance and attitude, the destruction of Tokyo sequence is impressive, Ikufube's restlessly grim score, and the fights are entertaining. All of that is counterbalanced by Akihiko Hirata's overacting, aliens that are completely out of place, and the overall cheapness and sloppiness of the movie. There are some really baffling special effects choices in this movie (monsters knee deep in the city and the phoniest UFOs in the series).
>>
>>16081562
>So did Titanosaurus die?
Yes. Godzilla's atomic breath ruptured his chest and sent him off an ocean-side cliff where he seemingly exploded upon impact with the water. Like Katsura, Titanosaurus was an innocent creature who had to pay for the sins of others. He was explicitly described as a naturally peaceful monster.
>>
>>16081562
I assume he died considering we never see him again. Poor guy, talk about a tragic character.
>>
why was Godzilla in a storage house in VS Mecha G

Also The new anime Mecha G looks like trash
>>
>>16081562
Titanosaurus stomped those kids.
>>
>>16081435
legit one of the best in the franchise. An excellent send off for godzilla. Also, the final battle is the best fight in the entire series.
>>
I will be really mad if Kong wins in 2020 desu
>>
>>16081737
you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.
>>
>>16081352

After I've separated myself from the fandom I've
actually started to enjoy kaiju movies more and have my own opinions
>>
>>16081435
My favorite Showa era film, (besides the original, but let's face it, that's basically in its own category.) It may be fairly formulaic, but I think it perfects the formula and does it far better than any other alien invasion story. Plus, something people often forget, this is the first time Godzilla was truly out-numbered in a fight, and it really feels like the odds are against him. Mecha-G 1 continues to be my favorite iteration, and I feel he has some of his best scenes here, like when he shoots up the city block. Titanosaurus is also a favorite of mine, though I'm a sucker for traditional, big dinosaur kaiju. I think what really helps this movie is how much darker it is, especially with the suicide ending. Really feels like a return to form for the series, and a pretty great way to close out the Showa era.

Also, villain Mechagodzilla is best Mechagodzilla.
>>
File: Kiryu2jpg.jpg (23 KB, 217x322)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Eva Mechagodzilla is the best Mechagodzilla
>>
File: 1501021430278.png (432 KB, 477x600)
432 KB
432 KB PNG
>>16081950
What movies do you enjoy and what opinions do you have about them?
>>
>>16081002
I prefer vapor. Everything has a beam these days, but the vapor feels unique.
Though, I do like films that kinda cross the two, such as GMK and Shin.

>>16080825
You know what's actually a really good intro film? Final Wars. It's so balls to the wall awesome and filled with allusions to Western films (Matrix, Star Wars, GI Joe) that it really draws casual fans in. The only real risk is the fact that pretty much none of the other films are as action packed.
>>
>>16081564
Basically my opinion too. The movie swings out towards opposing directions, ending up grim, adult and well put together in some places and ultra stupid in others. The juxtaposition is just too much for me, it's like there's a serious tragic movie inside that tries to break out of the 70's mold but always gets pulled back. A shame, cause I like the main ideas and Titanosaurus is a very neat monster.

Wasn't there a followup story where Katsura is revived in the future, that was just published relatively recently?
>>
Is it bad that I really like most of the Showa movies? I just cant into Heise or Millenium series.
>>
>>16082396
Not bad at all!
>>
most gory godzilla film?
>>
>>16082396
That's not a rare opinion around these parts.
>>
>>16083522
Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla VS Mechagodzilla
>>
>>16080825
>So why does every person ever when asked say to show Shin to people first
Because as a film it's the only one that rivals the original. I think the original is a better introduction, though.

Shin's design is also my favorite Godzilla design. I love almost everything about that movie.
>>
>>16081970
This. The movie felt very dire, especially considering how strong Mecha G is established to be in the last movie. Really felt like a hopeless situation
>>
>>16083658
I like Shin but I wouldn't introduce people to Godzilla with it.
No small part of the draw for Shin is seeing how it contrasts to the previous Godzilla works, noticing music and sound cues from them, stuff like that.

2000 is nicely bland enough that I think it works good as an intro.
>>
>>16083761
>seeing how it contrasts to the previous Godzilla works
Bit of an exaggeration there. Shin Godzilla isn't that far removed from a standard Godzilla film. The biggest differences are Anno's distinct filmmaking style and Godzilla's Pokémon evolution.
>>
>>16081588
it wasnt his fault, he was being controlled.

>>16081562
Nah man, he took a hit but he'll heal up someday.

>>16081970
I agree with everything you say here.

>>16081467
Pretty sure he's a plant, or part plant, but not enough info on it yet. I havent gone spoiler hunting enough. If they were going to make him a plant, they should have it be a mutated biollante instead of godzilla, or something.

>>16080825
Introducing people to godzilla is about capturing the feel/lore of godzilla. Shin is a bad place to start because it is a radical diversion from tradition, and doesnt represent the series very well.

As a few others have said, you need to find one that fits the formula but doesn't have a terrible human plot. So, something like Vs Biollante or Destroy All Monsters would be an easier draw in.
>>
>>16081467
No, he still evolved from plant with a metal frame.
His design is basically plant+Deva statue.

Even after the first movie, the secrets behind the real Godzilla haven't been all revealed yet.
>>
>>16056839
>>16056871

I Can't Read File Names: The Post
>>
>>16081950
Best thing you can do. The whole East vs West thing is petty culture wise.
>>
>>16075596
The best Godzilla dub ever. Ted Thomas'

"They're for you..."

Line is the fucking best.
>>
File: 1503183339182.jpg (13 KB, 261x197)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>16073519

Prior to seeing this I read a review in a monster magazine saying it was one of the worst movies ever made, period. I was completely caught off guard by the weirdness and style and really liked it, it was so different to all the other Godzilla films I had seen, and stands out for that reason alone. Hedorah was a decent opponent to boot. Not one of the worst movies ever made, one of the most experimental and entertaining Godzilla films ever.

>>16075596

>HEEEY ANGLIAAAH
>WAAA YOU WAAAN?
>....SOMETHING FUNNY GOING ON

I loved this one for that scene alone, Godzilla and Anguirus being bro's. The final battle was intense as fuck, particularly when Gigan began slicing motherfuckers. Was surprised to see blood shown so prominently. Gigan I felt was the best nemesis Godzilla had since Ghidorah, just bizzare and evil and badass, chainsaw stomach and all. The aliens were my favorite out of any G film.

>>16077470

Really average and underwhelming. Gigan felt less of a threat than he did in the previous film, Megalon wasn't particularly memorable. Jet Jaguar was more memorable than the title villain. And the kid annoyed the shit out of me for some reason. Best thing to come out this film:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxV8Bf8ND4
>>
>>16052928
Wait, Iris was a mutated Gyaos? I don't remember that being sted in the movie.
>>
File: g03.jpg (26 KB, 354x239)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>16082396
Most people seem to enjoy both the really silly movies, and the really serious ones like '54 and Shin. Heisei and most of Millennium falls somewhere in the middle which is fine, but tends to come off a bit boring not being on either more extreme sides of the spectrum.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.