[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Baka.jpg (69 KB, 350x480)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>https://animeindianphilosopher.wordpress.com/2017/01/14/why-do-people-hate-mecha-anime/
Jesus christ.
>>
>>16143399

Stop posting shitty articles no one cares about.
>>
>>16143399
This article is poorly written shit, but I honestly don't know why modern anime audiences dislike mecha so much either. Just to pose this question, I won't sage. Why do they hate mecha?
Is it just bad taste? What is not appealing about giant robots to a modern audience?
>>
>>16143427
It's not hate, it's just disinterest. It's got an image of being entirely 30-year-old space operas or repetitive toy adverts, with a handful of 'innovative' exceptions like Eva and TTGL, and most people just don't care enough to check them out.
>>
>>16143427
>I honestly don't know why modern anime audiences dislike mecha so much either.
Because all modern mecha shows are shit you faggot.
They don't hate mecha, they hate shit anime.
>>
File: disowned_by_tomino.jpg (29 KB, 423x332)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>16143427
They don't hate mecha anime, they just don't give a shit about old anime. Unfortunately, the most notable mecha anime tend to be very old, especially the plethora of 80s OVAs that /m/ is so fond of. Eva seems to be an exception because of how memed it is, and the existence of the Rebuild movies certainly helps make it accessible to modern anime fags.

Most of these faggots don't want to watch anime to enjoy it, they want to do it because they're 14 year olds with lots of time and want to get involved with online communities like MAL. That only works if you're watching the most recent shit like everyone else. Once they turn 18 and go to college and actually get a social life they drop the anime schtick altogether and go full normie.
>>
>>16143427
Common responses I've gotten from asking my friends are: "I don't wanna watch 2 robots standing in front of each other shooting lasers at each other for 30 minutes" and variations of robots are dumb. That being said they also say they don't like mecha but like code geass and gurren lagann all the while calling evangelion "pretentious religious garbage" and refuse to give mecha shows I recommend a try. I can see disinterest from believing its all toy adverts as being a factor as >>16143446
stated, but I still don't get why they would completely ignore the genre on those grounds when all anime wants to sell merchandise.
>>
>>16143472
Most anime is marketed in the west as standalone products, so a lot of younger westerners get really uppity when someone points out that their favorite shows were primarily created to push sales of the manga/LN/VN it was based on.
>>
>>16143427
They don't, you just have skewed expectations. Robot anime do about as well as anything that isn't a current fad, actually a bit better because of how much brand name value it has to swing around.
>>
>>16143472
Westerners have stupid and inconsistently applied excuses for not watching most anime.
>>
File: 1459154256288.jpg (26 KB, 600x375)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>16143399
>animeindianphilosopher
As expected, some pretentious garbage by some pajeet weeb (as a pajeet I know their kind)

>I personally hate mecha and cyberpunk animes with passion. Even a thought of watching such animes would make me puke and I believe I am not the only person who thinks like this way. But as the hater of the genre and having enjoyed some of the mecha anime I can understand both parties, which in turns gives me right to write about it. And as a side note, this post is not meant to hate on mecha animes.

How the fuck you came across this garbage, OP
>>
File: 20171226_230418.png (52 KB, 169x173)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>recommend friend some mecha anime and manga when they ask for it, including Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still and the Getter Robo Saga
>later on in the year they say they don't like mecha anime
>ask why
>"Anon, the mecha anime you watch is too realistic, man. The only one I like is TTGL."
MFW.
>>
>>16143653
I honestly like Diebuster more than TTGL but you have to watch Gunbuster beforehand to get the full effect and I have a feeling that your friend would find Gunbuster of all things "too realistic"
I have a sibling with the same problem. He fucking loves TTGL and DBZ because of the action, he likes Gundam memes, but won't watch one of the shows unless I watch it with him dubbed or I physically give him one of the files for ONE compilation movie.
>>
>>16143399
>animeindianphilosopher
What made you think this was worth posting?
>>
File: mechastarter.jpg (277 KB, 796x777)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>
>>16143427
>>16143472
One thing I've noticed is that a lot of artists who do commissions won't do mecha at all, I've always wondered why that's so. I can understand not being good at drawing complex mechanical parts or something like that, but even artists who can do that sorta stuff often say "no mecha." It makes it difficult to find good artists if you want to get something drawn.
>>
I honestly believe people don't even notice they are watching mecha anime.
That and they don't watch older anime.
>>
>>16143726
Is it a good thing or bad thing that I have no fucking idea what middle-bottom is?
Also off that list the only ones I've watched are TTGL and NGE
>>
>>16143734
Mecha's pretty tricky to do. You've got to combine the basics of figure drawing with the specifics of drawing regular machines.
>>
>>16143737
FMP was one of those must watch shows as recently as a decade ago. When I first got into anime you couldn't not watch it.
It's pretty good, too, so that's kind of sad.
>>
>>16143735
>That and they don't watch older anime.
Not true. I overheard a conversation just the other day about a, "pretty old show," they'd been watching.
It was TTGL
>>
File: 1511583956101.jpg (55 KB, 429x571)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>Anime community has split into mainly three fandoms each of them haveing different artistic test. These three are old anime fans, shounen anime fans, and new anime fans.
>>
>>16143544
OP is the one writing the articles you fool
>>
>>16143770
>three fandoms each of them haveing different artistic test

Where one gives such test?
Is this where one earns the certificate of shit taste, for failing?
>>
>>16143737
>Is it a good thing or bad thing that I have no fucking idea what middle-bottom is?
It's a "how the fuck do you not know what that is?" thing
>>
>>16143800
I've avoided mid-00s anime for the most part because of the propensity for uggo art styles and melodramatic writing.
I've heard of FMP but just wrote it off as another one of *those* anime series, along with Code Geass and Gundam SEED.
>>
>>16143833
It kind of is. But it's also good and worth watching.
>>
Fuck them they are the reason why i can't say i enjoyed Eva and TTGL, these fags always use a lot of idiot excuses like "no they are unrealistics or too much pseudo realistics" "Big robots are dumb" "human fights are better" "No anon TTGL is a not a mecha show because is silly fun not a sirious show that os actually silly"
>>
>>16143427
Can't take robots seriously, now excuse while I go watch REAL entertainment about a beta high schooler getting a harem of fantasy girls.
>>
>>16143399
Their souls are weighed down by the gravity of the mistakes of one's youth. Even now there is hope for man, but people must overcome their differences and learn to understand the power of culture if they're ever going to get in the robot and pierce the heavens to secure a future for all where no one has to die. The older generation cannot make the future. If we are unable to use the force of our ideals to see beyond the time of our dark history of an endless cycle of war caused by the forbidden weapons of the past, who will survive?
>>
>>16143833
Tiffa makes my dick TITANIUM hard
>>
File: Spoiler Image (2.7 MB, 854x480)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB WEBM
>>16144066
baka tbqh desu~
she makes me want to commit a crime
>>
>>16143747
It's been ten years.
>>
File: 1489334353231.jpg (118 KB, 540x494)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>16144125
>>
>>16144125
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>16144087
Hnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg I'd cuddlefuck her sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard
>>
>>16144198
nonce
>>
>>16144207
she's not exactly underage, just innocent iirc
>>
File: shit.gif (337 KB, 250x250)
337 KB
337 KB GIF
>>16144212
>Age: 15
>>
>>16144215
whoops
>>
>>16144207
>>16144215
>>
>>16143427
Along with what everybody else said, it kind of doesn't help that the recent mecha offerings have been pretty damn awful for the last decade or so. Like a couple aren't bad but when you consider all the mecha that have come out and like maybe I could count the really good ones on two hands, that's not a good look. That's like a generation or two of new anime fans coming in and getting their tastes adjusted to thinking "mecha isn't good"

>>16143726
Most new fans haven't watched FMP or 08th MS Team as much as before

Though with FMP IV coming soon, that's probably going to change
>>
File: 11182017Mazingar.jpg (3.01 MB, 2550x3300)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>16143734
Good mecha requires solid understanding of of 3 point perspective, as well as being able to subtly exaggerate geometric shapes so it doesn't look like shitty CG.
>>
>>16144255
>as well as being able to subtly exaggerate geometric shapes so it doesn't look like shitty CG.
This is probably the most important part (after knowing basic perspective), there are way too many artists who have no clue what line weight and implied line are, which leads to some incredibly stiff looking mecha.
>>
>>16143726
People who say this shit make my blood fucking boil. Why would you not enjoy mecha if you liked these mecha shows? There's nothing special about them.
I really start to shit blood if they say they like Gurren Lagann or Eva, both of which are actually far better if you have prior knowledge of mecha. TTGL is a massive love letter to super robot stuff, and even Evangelion is to a lesser extent, just taking more from Ultraman and Ideon than Getter.
>>
>>16143739
>>16144255
>>16144266
Ahh, I see. So it's the difficulty of doing multiple things at once--even if someone is good at drawing human-shaped figures or mechanics, combining both is particularly tricky and requires additional skills?
>>
File: several people are typing.png (3.32 MB, 2560x1440)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB PNG
>Mecha is a dying genreof anime or at least facing reduce popularity
>For startersmecha is not a genre
>>
>>16144705
You can flip this around and /m/'s shit is just as retarded though.
>I like FMP but I won't watch light novel adaptions
>>
>>16144823
>mecha is not a genre
Wut?
>>
>>16144871
From the first and third paragraph, respectively.
>>
>>16144885
Oh, it's from the article.
Didn't read it, as 90% of the time all articles of type "all X is currently Y" are retarded, unless it's something about economics or nature.
I just found this theme of the thread interesting, as I noticed that a lot of people actually have some kind of distaste for mecha.
>>
File: 1513710261409.jpg (254 KB, 750x1000)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>16143427
For me Mecha genre has been an acquired taste. Initially I wasn't interested in the shows but the designs always appealed me whether be its western or Japanese source. My entry to the genre is due to me watching Layzner and lurking /m/ near the 2nd half of 2013. IMO, this actually made me to explore the various facets of the genre. I think my dwindling interest in anime might have also played a part in it. Very rarely I lurk /a/ and anime forums.

Based on my experience, these are my conjectures for why it's not famous outside Japan
>lack of shows which people grew up with
>lack of talk in the anime community (which mostly discuss relevant shows of the season. For example Big 3 of shonen is no longer a thing)
>living under impression that the mecha anime is all about animation of those toy robots they see in the market(excluding plamos)

Lack of any interest from the aforementioned factors already makes it
tedious for them to dive into old Gundam shows and this is the prime reason they would rather gobble up something like IBO to save themselves from the antiquity of watching the old shows while acquainting themselves with the Gundam brand name. Heck there was a time when they claimed that there is no need to watch the previous show for viewing Unicorn when they haven't seen any on first place(granted if someone who knew their shit had said that, I would had agreed to an extent)

That being said, there are few who seek the genre to this day.
>>
>>16145050
>on first place
>I would had

*in first place
*I would have
>>
>>16144066
I wonder if the person who first forced this meme realized titanium's not particularly hard.
>>
>>16143427
Star Trek and Star Wars already fills the niche of Space Opera in the West, which renders the mecha genre redundant and underwhelming. Audiences can't get into the genre because mecha has the worst animations of all anime, or are too bleak for most people to stomach.

>>16143446
People hate Evangelion more than they love it. Anno's depression during the show's run can't triumph Tomino's bitterness, frustration, AND spite towards Sunrise.
>>
>>16145071
>mecha has the worst animations of all anime
There's plenty of nicely animated mecha. I guess if you compare some 80s mecha show on a shoestring budget to something from today it looks bad.
>>
>>16145071
>People hate Evangelion more than they love
People have grown to hate Eva because its fans are obnoxious shitheads
>>
>>16145094
Nah, people are just tired of watching post modern and cynical works because there's no reward or fulfillment in trying to understand the show. The fans aren't really the problem, I argue that every mecha series in the 90s trying to replicate the style of EVA contributed the hatred for the show. People don't understand that Shinji wasn't supposed to be a template for how anime characters should be designed.
>>
>>16143427
Based from my experiences talking with people who have only seen one mecha show and refuse to touch anything else they usually think every mecha show that isn't the sole exception they liked focuses entirely on the mechs and not the people piloting them.
>>
>>16143399
in my opinion mecha anime is too much associated with superrobot series, especially the ones aimed towards children and the toys sold with them (example, Power Rangers) which kinda gives the whole mecha genre a kiddy-image
sorry if I triggered a few people with that
>>
>>16143544
I just went on Google and typed "history of mecha", caught me off guard desu.
>>16143771
Fuck no.
>>
>>16143399
>Even a thought of watching such animes would make me puke and I believe I am not the only person who thinks like this way.
>But as the hater of the genre and having enjoyed some of the mecha anime I can understand both parties, which in turns gives me right to write about it.

Its like saying you hate chips with passion and just thinking to take a bite makes you retch however you eat some 5 years ago so that gives a right to talk about the chips industry and its flavours
>>
>>16143747
I know TTGL is ten years old now but it doesn't even look "old", hell it and Gundam 00 arguably look just as modern and better than most shit today. It just occurred to me how stagnant anime's been for the past ten years visually.
>>
It's easy to make fun of. To be fair, a lot of shit like Naruto, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, and One piece are easy to make fun of- but if you notice, those things have long fallen out of favor since the 2000s. 2010s anime culture is obsessed with shit like Welcome to the NHK, Attack on Titan, and the Monogatari series. Fans want brooding, dark shit with heavy realistic overtones, brutal consequences, and possibly a meta message about how you the viewer are doing everything wrong. I chalk it up in part to the economic crash and the long stalling japanese economy. Anime fans now are probably predominantly the generation that grew up never experiencing the bubble economy, and that changes the whole mood of the society.

Now the high flying combat, wild angry screaming and flashy laser light shows of your average mecha romp just don't work very well with the current taste. Gundam IBO and the direction it took things was pretty telling about the kind of show anime viewers want. Dark & gritty. I'm not saying mecha can't ever be done dark and gritty, but it takes time for studios to adapt to that visual style. You don't go from Gaiking:LODM to AoT in one jump, and it may prove to be too difficult to imbue mecha anime with the kind of negative, almost nihilistic attitude and philosophical pretense that's in vogue. Thru out the last 40 years even the grittiest of mechs shows like Ideon and Zeta were very candidly set out to meet a positive, light hearted goal: to entertain a child. Looking and feeling "cool" and having big dumb fights are the heart of this genre, and so it may be mismatched to the 2010s 'style' in some kind of fundamental way.

Just my thoughts. And i have no doubt that going forward mecha will have big resurgence in popularity, things naturally come and go you know.
>>
>>16143427
woops, forgot to quote you in >>16145654
>>
>>16143472

yet these are people who often hipsters who will wear a Transformers T shirt or put an Autobots logo on their car so these millenial hipsters can pretend they are old enough to be nostalgic about it, completely not realizing that every single western cartoon was made as a toy commercial. being a toy commercial and having good writing are not mutually exclusive. that is purely a matter of how much of a shit the director gives about the actual quality of the product. by that merit Japanese toy commercials tend to have a lot more depth than American ones.
>>
>>16143726
Inaccurate, replace FMP with Fumoffu and 08th with IBO.
>>
>recommend a guy Fafner for years
>still hasn’t seen it

>mention that Konosuba is decent offhand
>meet him the next day and find he marathoned both seasons that night and now wants a megumin figure

Fucking casuals.
>>
>>16144823
>Meanwhile Heybot outsold most of the recent flavor of the month shows
>>
>>16144705
Evangelion has much more in common than Gurren Lagann does. Thematically, Getter and TTGL have nothing in common, GL just ripped off the galaxy sized robots and some of the characters
>>
>>16145893
>marathoned 20 episodes in one go
I don't know how people can binge watch so easily, I'm lucky to get one or two episodes of a couple shows a day in before getting pooped out.
>>
>>16145900
There's hope for anime yet
>>
>>16144244
>it kind of doesn't help that the recent mecha offerings have been pretty damn awful for the last decade or so.
With the exception of A/Z I wouldn't put any mecha anime this decade on a "worst of" list not even IBO. When you consider that one of the most popular mecha anime or hell anime in general from the last decade was Gundam Seed Destiny which was everywhere in the Western online community or the fact that they think Code Geass is unironically a masterpiece then the problem has nothing to do with quality.
>>
>>16145883
>08th with IBO.
Why would you replace it with a show most people didn't watch?
>>
>>16145903
Huh? GL ripped some plot points from Shin Getter, like the advanced alien race fearing the unknown power used by humanity. Getter Emperor also comes from there. Of course, thematically the series go in different directions with that.
>>
>>16145900
>Heybot outsold flops

This is suppose to be an accomplishment?
>>
>>16143427
People can't take giant humanoid robots seriously, and even though mecha can encompass different types of tech like spider bots and the like, they only picture giant human robots and never take it seriously or even comically when it's that kind of show.

I always saw giant humanoid mecha battles as the romantic sci-fi knight in armor battles, but I also like the tactical warfare types too.
>>
>>16146055
I struggle to watch things after they aired. So I just make a time sheet of the anime coming out in a given week and just watch them as they come.
>>
>>16145094
>People have grown to hate Eva because its fans are obnoxious shitheads
hating things because of their fanbase is retarded beyond belief.
>>
>>16146208
And yet evageeks managed to do precisely that
>>
>animeindianphilosopher
>anime
>indian
>philosopher

do we need this kind of stuff in our board?
>>
>>16143726
i'd say switch out FMP and 08th MS team for Wing and Robotech
>>
>>16146208
It's normal to start disliking something when it's strongly associated with something else that really annoys you. It's just gong to remind you of the annoying thing every time.
>>
>>16143427
I live in a country where mecha is mostly known because everything made by go nagai was very popular back in the days, they are so much implanted in the mass knowledge that everytime you bring up a mecha anime the first thing they think is mazinger and everything the super robot genre of the '70 made, no matter how much is different from said shows.
Because of this the newer generations are not intrested in this genre, they see those shows as relics that only worked 40 years ago and dispach them with lines like "i don't like mecha" or "im not interested in stupid big robots".
Also the fact that they are attributed to an old generation doesn't help i think, kids tend to not like stuff that their parents watched when they were young, i bet the same thing will happen with dragon ball in 10 years though.
>>
>>16146812
sei italiano vero?
>>
File: SI.jpg (40 KB, 464x309)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>16146825
Siamo gli unici con sta situazione mi sa, forse pure i francesi e gli spagnoli, non so.
>>
>>16146841
gli hanno davvero legato una maglia della roma?
>>
>>16146264
Fucking this
>>
It's a culture of misinformation and misrepresentation.

The average pleb thinks mecha anime is literally Voltron or those robot fights Power Rangers. They have a very strong parody of what mecha is that exists within their mind.

These same people will turn around and praise Evangelion, Code Geass, Gundam Wing, etc. and will unironically claim that these series are the rare exceptions to the rule that is mecha.

The plebs don't stop there for there also exists "mecha fans" who are staunchly "real robot" only. Like the aforementioned pleb, realfags thinks the average non-Gundam anime is literally Voltron or TTGL. They have a very strong parody of what non-Gundam mecha is that exists within their mind.

Needless to say, they're detrimental to the hobby as a whole.
>>
>>16146856
https://youtu.be/QWxYyrWSVjg?t=3739
Yep, mi chiedo che cosa ha pensato di fronte a cotanta ignoranza.
>>
>>16146881
porcoddio che fastidio, sempre a fare figure di merda
>>
>>16146097
It outsold things that are hardly flops like Boku no Hero Academia or Little Witch Academia and that was before people knew the final figures which were nearly twice as high.
>>
File: Ask-Humantale.jpg (150 KB, 1024x356)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>16146208
>hating things because of their fanbase
>retarded
Come again?
>>
>animes
It's fucking nothing.
>>
>>16145654
>2010s anime culture is obsessed with some complete flop mid-2000s show that no one anywhere talks about since /v/ became /pollite/
Was this supposed to be a flag for no one but idiots to read the rest of your post?
>>
File: 1451074798213.png (290 KB, 816x720)
290 KB
290 KB PNG
>Before: Mecha anime involves piloting a giant robot (whether alien of origin or built on earth), aliens invading earth for either world conquest, revenge, or any other hidden agendas they have, good guys versus the bad guys, metals clash during the fights, good guys wins, end of story.

>A little after before: mecha now has become smaller robots for people to pilot and it is easy to mass produce! It’s now not a battle between good versus evil aliens but now it is a battle of what people believed is actually right. -But I still like it if the aliens were the bad guys because they have always been humorously been stereotyped as evil.

>After: Mecha now does not pertain to the robot someone is piloting but can be also the suit that is mechanical which can now be considered as mecha. And most of these are portrayed by beautiful, young girls not even old enough to have a drivers licence.

>As a person weaned during the “before” era, I am having issues accepting the new term for the word mecha in mecha anime. I miss the giant robots, the giant fights which leaves Earth to a horrible mess after the giant behemoths duke it out, I miss just every cliche things you can expect from a mech anime. Maybe I’m still weak with using words but what want to say explain is that mecha, like any genres which exists, is rapidly evolving and we can just take it whether it is good or bad. My only issue is that it is 1) limited to suits that they wear and 2) it is combined with ecchi.

>I’m a traditional guy; give me back all the fun that I’ve enjoyed.
>>
>>16146995
undertale fans are cancerous scum of the first order, but the game is still great.
>>
>>16147022
>Welcome to the NHK is a flop
Provide proofs.
>>
File: DSaPDuNVAAEOAJZ.jpg (95 KB, 1200x1200)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
I don't get where people make these assumptions from either.

I have had someone who doesn't watch mecha anime tell me Macross "invented slow mechs". Someone else told me NGE is less well known than Big-O.

Its not just mecha. I see people do this with horror movies, RPG games, martial arts films, heavy metal, rap, any genre of any media really.
>>
>>16147063
>Macross "invented slow mechs"
It's literally a series about jet robots, how are they slow?
>>
>>16147070
Maybe they're talking about the destroids, or the lacklustre animation of the original TV show
>>
>>16147026
The only good ecchi mecha is a few Gundam shows and Gunbuster/Diebuster
>>
>>16147026
> After: Mecha now does not pertain to the robot someone is piloting but can be also the suit that is mechanical which can now be considered as mecha. And most of these are portrayed by beautiful, young girls not even old enough to have a drivers licence.

What is this I am reading? What is this guy talking about, and where is he getting this information? Perhaps he plays SHMUPs and is confusing the state of giant robot shows with those kind of games?
>>
>>16147436
We talk about power armor here but nobody calls them mechs. I have no idea what he's on about.
>>
>>16143399
>Why do people hate mecha anime

Because they didn't grow up with transformers, voltron or power rangers. Robots have always been stupid and I'm glad the genre is dying to moe.
>>
>>16146055
I did that once and it burned me out so bad it took me over a year just to watch Victory Gundam along with a few other shows. Also I find that I can't remember shit when I binge as opposed to just watching an episode or two a day and reflecting on them. Sucks because a lot of shows are being tailored towards the binge audience now too hardly any episodes I see of a show these days feels like a satisfactory wrap up that still keeps me interested enough to want more instead episodes just abruptly stop at the half hour or hour period so you can binge the whole thing once it comes out on video or a streaming service.
>>
File: q8785_38631584074_o.png (146 KB, 480x360)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
@16147471
>being this much of a soyboy
>>
>>16146264
Robotech is too old and doesn't really fit that audience. The people who still watch Robotech are dads who just want to cling onto a portion of their childhood in the 80s not someone who actually watches anime.
>>
>>16147026
When exactly does "after" occur? Because aside from the driver's license you could easily attribute that to Bubblegum Crisis which is thirty years old.
>>
>>16147486
Fuck my soipussi with a strapon right now Katejina~
>>
>>16147486
>Liking loli porn opposed liking to gay dudes in spandex = soyboy

You need more onions in your diet faggot.
>>
>>16147497
I was just quoting some random comment on that site that jumped out at me, his three tiers are all bullshit regardless.
>>
>>16147578
I figured that was the case I was just posing that question just to point out how absurd that statement you were quoting was.
>>
>>16147572
Its not liking kiddy porn that makes you a soyboy, its self-inserting as Kirito#312 that does.
>>
I read somewhere that there is a fundamentally different view of technology between the East and West. In the East technology is good, the brilliant scientist and his machines save the world from an alien invasion. In the West technology is bad, an evil megacorp creates an AI that goes rogue and tries to wipe out mankind. Perhaps there's a subconscious aversion to the glorification of massive killing machines.
>>
>>16147683
Nah.
>>
>>16147683
While that is true, I don't think it plays nearly as huge a role in the questions being asked by this thread. So basically >>16147691
>>
File: 1488010166384.jpg (326 KB, 505x960)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
>>16143399
What ever happened to dumping this shit in a pastebin so we didn't have to give these dumb articles clicks to see what op's whining about?
>>
>>16147839
Every time I see Bugzinkaiser I feel like four different emotions at once.
>>
>>16147839
It's rude to link without credit to the original source do not do it.
>>
>>16147842
t. animepajeetphilosopher
>>
>>16147063
>>16147075
They might have read passing comments about Destroids being adopted into Battletech and then somehow conflating their performance in the latter for how they originally worked... Yes its dumb but I can see how that could happen.

I guess it might have been partially due to all the sparring /m/ has had with /k/ in the past, both in the literal board sense and the disseminated ideas and continued arguments which continued on elsewhere. Somehow, it has become so engrained into many normies psyches that they are not to accept walker vehicles in their entertainment (except if its Western???) for fear of being told that they are childish or "uninformed". Perhaps it is a fear of friends they know that may ACK-SHUALLY sperg out about it, who might put the viewer into an uncomfortable position of having to defend or explain it? It can seem at times to be kiddy playground shenanigans at times.

Try to understand the normie mindset but don't get sucked in.
>>
>>16147842
>being this new
Lets pastebin it
>>16143399
https://pastebin.com/zbr1Rp1U
>>
>>16147839
The new Dunbine looks wierd.
>>
numale soyboys don't like technology that isn't Apple
>>
>>16147839
then the faggot OP who didn't buy a banner wont get his clicks
>>
>>16143427
Personally i don't like Mecha because you never see hand to hand combat
>>
>>16143399
Whatever excuses they give, they all fall apart when you consider just how much shounenshit they all guzzle down.
>>
>>16148536
>>16148487 is a prime example.
>>
>>16148487
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psAMCrBilao
>>
>>16147870
the thing is that btech mechs arent that slower, nor even Aerospace Fighters

Civilians on the other hand thinks that everything is slower, besides shit like TTGL
>>
>>16148487
Though one of the reason why people don't like mecha is because there is melee combat, "no anon huge robots with swords/lightsaber are silly" FUCK ALL the anime faggots from the west
>>
>>16143399
> self appointed wordpress critic

> thread worthy

pick one
>>
>>16148487
...like, almost literally every mecha anime has melee combat
>>
File: ThatAintFalco.jpg (17 KB, 261x217)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>16143399
> mecha anime is literally so bad it makes me want to puke
> but I like some of it and I watch it from time to time
>>
>>16148680
source?
>>
It's just a guy looking for excuses for why he doesn't like something to make himself feel like the better person for not liking a thing. So like most 4chan posts really.
>>
>>16148680
Maybe he's into puking, you ever think of that? Stop all the kink shaming!
>>
>>16147063
People tend to consider themselves self-appointed professionals on every subject. Everyone lives in their own personal reality bubble especially when it comes to fandoms.

Which makes it hilarious when they try to talk to someone who's actually invested in whatever subject.
>>
>>16143399
Why are you posting a low-quality garbage article? What's next? Making OPs with links to blogs?
>>
>>16148660
Anime fans in general need to be gassed, then maybe we can finally get some good anime again.
>>
>>16148715
>Why are you posting a low-quality garbage article?
pajeet needs his clicks so he can buy views of bob and vagegene
>>
File: UCAR.gif (39 KB, 1481x689)
39 KB
39 KB GIF
>>16143427

One of my housemates says they're not interested in weapons-related stuff (Yet watching borderline illegal pranks on people on repeat is somehow entertaining...). Another one says they're not realistic (And I share this sentiment under many circumstances).

>>16143734

I can draw cheap lineart of planes, tanks, and occasionally ships, but when it comes to humanoid designs I fall entirely short. Typically I draw a picture indicating to someone where X part goes where on a transforming mecha (Along with general layout) and have them put more detail in it.

It doesn't help that my favored scanning device (A $30 Android) has a camera so bad it's borderline funny.

>>16145071

>or are too bleak for most people to stomach

Fucking pansies.

>>16145385

Wait...you're saying people prefer mecha for the characters? Christ, I must be insane!

>>16145654

I'd say mecha can be pretty dark and gritty at times, but then again I specialize in dark and gritty media.

>>16146110

I've had multiple ideas for mecha where the closest thing to a "humanoid" mech is still way off. Pic related, imagine that it had retractable legs that could double as arms.

>>16146812

One thing that definitely has never interested me in regards to mecha is super robots. I mean, I get that if it's some kind of eldritch abomination/half-dead deity that SO HAPPENS to also be a pilot-able mecha that could make a good super robot, but most super robots don't seem to take this route so it just seems dumb.

>>16146995

I hate it when I like a game, go to a board about the game, and find their fanbase is utter shit. I still play the game though, I just pretend I'm special or something.

>>16147026

>Wanting obvious good and evil
>Wanting giant impractical robots
>Wanting aliens that share ANYTHING in common with us

No

>There's too much ecchi
>Earth isn't reduced to practical ruin enough

Possibly yes
>>
>>16147436

Fuck the direction shmups are going these days. Like, I can bear something where the point of the shmup is something other than cute girls, but in the end you're really talking gameplay.

>>16147683

Judging by how it's usually the corporations that SAVE the day in Armored Core, I'm not at all surprised by this.

Also, I'm amazed this thread got so many replies so quickly.
>>
>>16143735
>Don't watch older anime
This is something i never understand with Anime goers. Average movie goers don't mind going back and watch old movies from the 70's or 80's, but no average Anime watchers want to watch anime older than them, heck even 10 years older than them. What is wrong with them?
>>
File: 1514592015254.jpg (36 KB, 344x347)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>animeindianphilosopher
>>
>>16148896
>Average movie goers don't mind going back and watch old movies from the 70's or 80's
I'm not convinced this premise is actually remotely true to start with and it's also a totally invalid comparison anyways. TV anime is not comparable to movies in any way, how much 80s TV do you see the average person watching? Especially anything reliant on god awful old special effects?
>>
>>16148715
Crashing this board
With links to shitty blogs
>>
>>16148896
Not really. Most people watch what's new and that's it regardless of medium or format. Unless you actually are interested in movies and then you're not average.

Whatever movie you consider a beloved classic probably isn't that beloved outside of your generation unless it's gotten a modern reboot and even then people probably haven't seen the old version.
>>
>>16148487
>Naruto
Kill yourself.
>>
File: unknown.png (16 KB, 1132x99)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>16148896
A lot of "anime fans" nowadays care more about being part of the conversation going on about anime than actually watching anime they like. I went into an /a/ thread arguing about old v. new in animation and art styles, and saw this post. This is more common an opinion among anime fans than it should be.
>>
>>16149717
Why do you think we're all here forever?

If we could all easily do this in VR you could probably make an SoL anime about anons shitposting and shenanigans in VR space.
>>
>>16147884
Common courtesy is a concept that has been around since the dawn of time if anyone is new here it's you.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (31 KB, 479x357)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>16148926
You'd be surprised, but you're still mostly right.
>>
>>16148879
>Wait...you're saying people prefer mecha for the characters
No what I'm saying is all the people I've talked with just assume mecha is literally nothing but giant robots. They think the ones they like are the rare exception not the norm when it comes to character focus or interaction in a mecha show.
>>
>>16149717
People on /m/ only watch old anime because you can eternally shitpost about any Gundam series but X anyways. That''s the rotten core of this board and even though nobody even tries to hide it for some reason people are too stupid to figure it out and keep mindlessly encouraging these people thinking they're doing some service as a fan.
>>
>>16149717
What the fuck does that person think we discuss here all the time if discussion of old anime never occurs?
>>
>>16149754
Factually speaking /m/ posts are mostly currently airing toku, mobile games, toys, thinly veiled teenager/manchild political arguments, and several other things that have nothing to do with anime let alone old anime.
>>
>>16148885

I wouldn't mind some shmups getting more cute girls.

R-Type hasn't had a happy ending since Delta anyways, so the best a girl can become would be a 4-segment high-speed monstrosity of a cruiser that one-shots Earth warship equivalents and brutally mows down fleeing survivors anyways.
>>
>>16149771
>R-Type
>new game
That'd be the day
>>
File: AAAAAAA.jpg (81 KB, 640x1136)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>16149776
>Darius still gets new games
>R-Type doesn't
IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR
>>
>>16149726
>courtesy
>for shit
>on 4chan
Stop embarrassing yourself
Fucking poo in loo, pajeet
>>
>>16147481

this, these shows were after all designed to be consumed one a week in their initial run. that is why a lot of the older shows tend to have episodes more standalone. I mean yeah the plot was connected heavily and story continuing but in terms of pacing they would be sure to follow a minor conflict or idea getting resolved with a battle squeezed in there so as to make sure the viewer got a bit of what they came for.
>>
>>16143399
>Animeindianphilosopher

4chan is 18+
>>
>>16145101
>people are just tired of watching post modern and cynical works

Eva is neither of those.

>>16146092
Mecha has always had some garbage shows, but his point was that this decade has onl thee garbage and mediocre shows that we have always got with none of the good. Bringing up Code Geass and Destiny is irrelevant since those were shows from the last decade, not the current one.

>>16145654
>and it may prove to be too difficult to imbue mecha anime with the kind of negative, almost nihilistic attitude and philosophical pretense that's in vogue.

Good, the whole reason I'm so invested in anime in the first place and why I don't watch western entertainment anymore is because it has all become that dumb crap.

>>16147022
I have meet tons of normalfags who have watched welcome to the NHK and think it speaks to them or some shit. It's this generations equivalent of catcher in the rye and it really irks me.
>>
>>16149750
Probably because its fun and Gundam is actually entertaining in some respects, you colossal faggot.

>>16149764
Fake news.
>>
>>16148730
This, unironically.
>>
>>16146055
It depends entirely on the series and my mood at the time. Sometimes I can marathon series and sometimes i struggle to watch a few episodes a week.
>>
>>16143427
Because people like slice of life anime with moeshit style. Even shounen anime aren't popular like it used to be now
>>
>>16143734
They're shitty artists.
>>
>>16143734
Drawing good mecha has nothing to do with ability and has everything to do with your interest and imagination in the subject. They simply don't like mecha, therefore they can't draw a decent mecha no matter how technically proficient they are.
>>
How popular is anime with your average person any way. In my experience, they still see it as cartoons.
>>
It doesn't help when a lot of the mecha we're fond of have an absurd amount of episodes to watch.

I just marathoned a 70+ episode show from early 2000s, I have few prospects of joining a discussion of the show and zero hope getting any of my friends who watch anime to put themselves through that hurdle, even if the show is pretty good.
It'd be like asking people to watch ALL the pokemon or one piece episodes.
>>
>>16143427
I started watching anime a long time ago, starting with Robotech. I think this contributes to my interest in mecha, but it had one other important effect on my tastes. I began by watching these older shows with dated animation, so it allows me to appreciate going back to these shows later on life. Many of the best mecha anime are older shows, but a newcomer might not be able to endure the dated animation. My tastes allow me to appreciate theses shows, warts and all. If I didn't grow up on the older shows, my tolerance for dated animation would be lesser.
>>
>>16148487
>doesnt like mecha
>is a narutard
literal pottery
>>
>>16150110
He was ostensibly talking about Japanese people though (who as far as I can tell probably can't relate to it for shit unless they were born somewhere close to 1980 like the original author), not western ironic weebs.

He also thinks Shingeki no Kyoujin was anything but a textbook fad and has no fucking idea what Bakemonogatari is about or like either.

>>16150141
>reading the exact same weak shitposts and bait threads every day for years on end is fun
Suicide is probably up your alley too, you should give it a go.
>>
>>16150882
That's why I don't understand how people even got into the big 3, DBZ and so on. Very rarely do I watch shows with more than 50 episodes. There's very few things that can both retain the hook of the original premise and not get completely stale after that point. Even some of the things I have watched all of that were over 50 episodes got pretty stale. Much of Zoids is a blur to me. Though to be fair, that show wasn't very interesting from the start
>>
>>16149717
Thanks for the reminder that modern /a/ and really any "forum" dedicated to anime is a cesspool.
>>
>>16151156
Its the matter of one's interest.
For instance few years ago I binged all of Scrubs in a couple of months while picking a 12 ep anime felt tiresome
>>
>>16149717
Its not like some people on /m are any better. If I had a penny for every time I saw someone completely dismiss a mecha show (or really any show) that aired after 9/11 because of the artstyle, or the presence of cute girls, I'd be a trillionaire.
>>
>>16151517
Hey, at least those reasons have something to do with the shows themselves. Watching a show purely to shitpost about it with anonymous strangers is absurd, especially if it's a show you don't actually like
>>
File: 1510130488210.gif (857 KB, 500x271)
857 KB
857 KB GIF
>>16148487
Wew lad
I think this is the right webm

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.