[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Is there a better Mecha movie than CCA?
Seriously, 30 years have passed and nothing can top Tomino's magnum opus.
One of the most beautiful and memorable endings I have ever watched in my entire life.
>>
>>16159537
Gundam F91
>>
>>16159544
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
Sometimes i think about the criticism of the useless last minute charactes stealing screen time to amuro and char and it makes me wonder, was it that much damaging to the movie? I really can't think about a lot of stuff that could have been added in exchange of the elimination of those characters.
>>
>>16159537
Well, I really liked EoE, it was a great conclusion to Eva. The music was great and it had some pretty creepy visuals, and it also introduced the harpies which are some of my favorite mecha designs.

Then rebuild had to exist and ruin that, but whatever
>>
>>16159537
>Is there a better Mecha movie than CCA?

Sure there is. Most of them don't have Gundams though.
>>
>>16159549
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He's right though, F91 is a much better film than CCA. Taken only on its merits yep, better cast, better mobile suits, better animation.
Storywise it's obviously pretty fucked up but you can say the same about CCA.
All in all F91 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> CCA
>>
>>16159852
Actually I was half-kidding when I posted "F91" but I do enjoy F91 a great deal and have rewatched it about 11 times in two languages

I'm hoping in my time in HK I can find a cantonese dub and watch it that way, too
>>
>>16159846
k which ones?
>>
Personally I would say it's not that great, but that's because "Char's Counterattack" to me is mostly a retread of the climax of 0079; just without a lot of the emotion and drama that preceded it thanks to the TV's shows expanded running time and events. "Char's Counterattack" tries to replicate that, but with only an hour or an hour and a half to do so it's just not capable of the task. The film finishes really strong, but the rest of the film doesn't live up to the TV show in my opinion and Tomino's magnum opus to me is "0079" itself or maybe "Turn-A". Even cinematically "Ideon: Be Invoked" is a stronger film and culmination of a show than "Char's Counterattack".

>>16159563

If Amuro and Char had shown any kind of emotional investment in the new cast and it had felt like they cared about their fate it might have improved things I suppose. The conflict between them up till the finale feels quite perfunctory at times.
>>
Ideon Hatsudou-hen is not just the best mecha movie but the best animated movie in general.
>>
>>16160067
>but the best animated movie in general.

HAHAHAHAAHAH
>>
>>16160338
Disney shill please
>>
>>16160067
Ideon movie looks great and is very emotional but it's like 75% action. Like the series but done much better
>>
Five Star Stories has a movie. IMO it's a good starter if you want to know basic FSS lore
>>
The Patlabor movies or any mecha movie without Quess
>>
Of all the things that bugged me in cca what really get me are

A. Risen. What was her purpose other than being a piece of shit? She doesn't impact the story in anyway at all

B. Gyunei gushing over quess when she is also a cyber newtype. Whatever level of strength she had is irrelevant because she's cyber enhanced. His excuse of wanting to study her when it's just that new type attraction is also stupid

C. The way astonage dies. I get that war is ugly and random but come the fuck on... He deserved better. He really did.
>>
>>16161408

Quess is not a cyber newtype. Nanai offers to make her one, but Char states she's already strong enough as is and it's left ambiguous. What seals it though is that cyber newtype in Japanese does not contain the word newtype at all and is instead render as something closer to "enhanced human", while regular newtypes are always called just that; newtypes. Quess is only ever referred to as a newtype, and Gyunei as an "enhanced human". So no, Quess is not a newtype. Also, I presume Rezin was there to provide some early conflict for Gyunei and show his character as a hot head with an inferiority complex regarding his powers.
>>
>>16161432
MY guy. Amuro straight up says that she was enhanced and "turned into a machine" and I just rewatched it again and the topic of enhancing her wasn't brought up during their convos to my recollection. Granted I watched it with the dub because I love the voice acting of this cast in english.

If the photo is fucked up my bad but I'm on mobile and that shit is wack
>>
>>16161559

Machine, as in thing you use. Not as in cyber newtype. Which again, she's never called. Amuro using the word machine does not over rule that.
>>
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>16159537
I liked Patlabor 1, Macross DYRL and the movie version of Macross Plus better than CCA.

CCA has some fantastic mecha battles but lousy characters and lots of pointless crap. I always felt it might have worked better as a longer OVA series.
>>
>>16161582

Presumably that's he's training her, or that Amuro is assuming things that aren't true because he's not actually with Quess to know. Context would probably clarify it, but I don't recall the scene off hand. Again though, no-one ever calls her an enhanced human and when Nanai offers to enhance her it's left ambiguous at best but worded to probably be a no. There's also no reason she would need it given she's naturally able to use funnels before Nanai ever offers to enhance her.
>>
Has there even been a case of a newtype being artificially enhanced? As in not by training or conditioning their existing abilities
>>
>>16161612
The way Gyunei explains it, it sorta sounded like he volunteered for the procedure and didn't have any abilities at all before, but again still very vague.

Mashymre Cello had zero newtype ability in the beginning of ZZ and then he returns in the last couple of episodes, with a damn near different personality (from bumbling lovestruck devotee to aggressively confident fighter) and with so much newtype potential it's leaking out of his head.

A sort of similar change occurs to Katejina in Victory Gundam. Other than being somewhat of a strong-minded cunt, she has no aptitude for fighting or newtype ability. Then she begins training under Chronicle to be an MS pilot, starts becoming gradually more aggressive and darker in her mind, and even surpasses Chronicle as a threat to Uso and the rest of the main cast. She develops some newtype ability, although nowhere near as strong as what Mashymre displayed. Supposedly the Victory Gundam novel outright states that she underwent cyber newtype enhancements, while no such thing was shown or inferred to in the show (no scenes of medical treatment or therapy, etc.)
>>
File: Chan_Agi.gif (42 KB, 242x848)
42 KB
42 KB GIF
just the best love interest passing by
>>
End of Evangelion :)
>>
>>16159537
Stupid Kids Fuck Up Everything: The Movie
>>
>>16159537
>One of the most beautiful and memorable endings

Isn't it just the ending to Bradbury's story Kaleidoscope? Cyborg 009 also did it for its original ending.
>>
I DARE YOU FAGGOTS TO FIND ME THEMES BETTER THAN SALLY AND SWAN
>>
>>16161644
Her name is pronounced チェーン, did Sunrise purposefully make it the English pronunciation of Chan (like Jackie Chan) instead of the proper Japanese pronunciation? Or is it supposed to be Chen and misspelled just like Jackie Chan, whose name is also actually Chen?
>>
>>16161845
That's not chen, it's chain.
>>
>>16160760
Fuck no, I hate Disney. But it's retarded to think fucking Ideon Hatsudou-hen is the "best animated movie in general"
>>
>>16159537
Chan is my waifu.
>>
>>16159537
>Seriously, 30 years have passed and nothing can top Tomino's magnum opus.
OP is implying that CCA WASN'T rushed out the door garbage with nonsensical character development, aggravating side characters, a lousy recycled from own content main plot, and little to no in universe build up to the conflict outside of source material that came after CCA. Seriously, this movie only gets praise for good art style and mobile suit designs (Like seriously good MS Designs), entertaining battles, a Genuinely excellent score, and we finally get that final epic battle between Amuro and Char that basically boils down to the two characters exchanging their character sheets from Zeta and Char being butt hurt over having lost a mother figure whos younger than he is. Yay? Seriously though, the music in this movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXSkaSkVBYA
>>
>>16162017
>and little to no in universe build up to the conflict outside of source material that came after CCA
Quit skipping ZZ
>>
>>16162037
Its been a long time since I saw ZZ, but last I checked, Char and Amuro werent present. And therefore neither was Char building up his Neo Zeon, or Amuro helping to form Londo Bell.
>>
>>16162017
Char wasn't butthurt over Lalah. Char actually doesn't give a shit about her. He just uses her as an excuse. He wanted to have a final battle with Amuro and he went the extra mile to give a cool battleground. Char is /ourguy/
>>
>>16162051
So you weren't paying attention to when Sayla mentioned that Char was being a fuckhead planning something, and that she wished her brother was dead because she knew what he was going to do was going to be horrible?
>>
>>16161860
Chen is 2nd tone so rising intonation, it could be spelled with a long e sound.
>>
>>16162078

> one character mentioning something that vaguely foreshadows a character is going to do something bad 2 episodes from the finale is not "little to no build up" of conflict
>>
>>16162162
It's alright that you didn't pay attention to a scene that was clearly given great importance and makes the events of CCA extremly obvious. Just make sure to not listen to shows as background noise from now on.
>>
>>16162078
Again its been a long time since I saw ZZ so I did forget about that. But as >>16162162 said, 2 episodes from the finale of a show just prior to the movie is not build up. It is at best just an advertisement of "Oh yeah, stay tuned kids, we got something coming not too long from now."
>>
>>16159537
>>
>>16161708
I CAN'T ANON
>>
>>16162017
I feel like CCA could benefit pretty well from a competent remake. The plot was good, the designs were good, but the presentation was kind of eh. I dig UC, but CCA had some moments where it lost my attention almost as well as ZZ has.
>>
>>16162189
This would be my favorite Mecha movie if I didn't have such a massive boner for Amuro and Char.
>>
>>16162366

I doubt it'll ever happen. Tomino is no longer interested in those characters, having moved on long ago and Char's Counterattack is seen as a bit too iconic for others to touch it I think. Yaz re-did 0079 despite those same issues mind, but at the same time, he wasn't invovled in Char's Counterattack. It was Kitazume who was involved in Char's Counterattack, and given Zeta Define I don't think he's the person you want re-doing Char's Counterattack.

It's still possible Sunrise would hire Tomino to re-do Char's Counterattack in some manner the way they did with Zeta given Tomino has said in interview he had no real interest in re-making Zeta but did so regardless when they asked him to. They did that for Gundam's 25th anniversary, so maybe for the 50th they'll go for a Char's Counterattack remake; but Tomino would be too old to work on them at that point even if he was still alive in a decade's time. As is, he requested G-Reco be only 26 episodes because he didn't think he could handle 50 anymore. Give it a decade and I can't see him even committing to the months a movie would take at minimum.

More likely they'll hire someone to do a manga or novel about Amuro and Char in the run up to Char's Counterattack and then make that an animation. Even that seems implausible though, because if they were going to do so they'd have probably done it a decade or more ago. Instead they made Unicorn, set after it and not leading up to it. A work that explicitly confirmed their death. It seems like Sunrise is happy to put Amuro and Char behind them beyond brief cameos.
>>
>>16162366
>>16162392
Honestly I feel that its less a remake thats in order as much as an expansions. CCA Is one of those properties that would have benefited a lot from being a OVA Mini series, maybe 12 ish episodes long. this way we can actually flesh out the characters and build the conflict up, and then maybe the big climax can be the entirety of the last episode or 2
>>
>>16159544
I recently popped in my old F91 for a watch and good lord the encoding made my eyes bleed. Its so grainy and pixelated, plus the black bars for the widescreen are encoded in the video. It is basically unwatchable. Like why the fuck is it like this. I just watched my CCA dvd (which was an older release) and it was fine. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the blu ray for F91.
>>
>>16163563
Definitely. My friend bought the Blu Ray and I have to say, it is GLORIOUS
>>
>>16163563
download it or whatever but the dvd is a waste of f91
>>
So what you will about CCA but once murder get in the nu gundam and starts soloing the whole of neo zeon I am excited each and every fucking time.

Gyunei? Who the fuck is that? Just some dead fuck while I'm over here toying with a mobile armor
>>
>>16163679
Damn. Auto correct was powerful. Not murder. Amuro.
>>
File: fatima boobs.png (928 KB, 1920x1090)
928 KB
928 KB PNG
>>16160961
>Five Star Stories has a movie. IMO it's a good starter if you want to know basic FSS lore

No it's not, it cuts off the beginning and end of the part it was adapting and simplifies a ton of details while adding in new plot points to make it easier to understand despite backfiring on itself. It's a complete mess that only happens to look and sound great.
>>
File: Flash 0.jpg (89 KB, 1200x746)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Lads, I can't unsee it. What are your thoughts on the resemblance?
>>
File: Flash1.jpg (250 KB, 708x1000)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>
File: Flash2.jpg (352 KB, 680x850)
352 KB
352 KB JPG
>>
File: Flash3.jpg (238 KB, 1023x688)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>
File: BrightCCA.jpg (26 KB, 640x352)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>16163708
WHAT DO YOU MEAN CHAR AZNABLE APPROACHING
FIRE MISSILES
DISPATCH AMURO AND GUNDAM
TO BRING BACK HIS BODY
>>
>>16163708
CHAR, AAAAAHAAA
HE'LL BETRAY EVERYONE OF US
>>
>>16163708

That the Flash Gordon film predated Char's Counterattack by almost a decade so really the resemblance is the other way around. And that no-one in Char's Counterattack can hold a candle to Ornella Muti. Even at 60 she's finer than them really.
>>
>>16162189
>macross
>>
The scene on the train with the accordion is one of my favorite Anime scenes of all time.
>>
>>16164432
She looks like she's taken the bogpill.
>>
>>16161408
also how the hell did nobody punish Hathaway for killing Chan.
>>
>>16161578
this, Quess was a newtype. she studied newtypes in India.
>>
>>16170643
no, she just heard about them from somebody online who said they were from India
>>
>>16170638

Because nobody saw it happen for a start. He was in the middle of an active battlefield, and the only two people paying attention are dead.
>>
>>16170690
You are right, still it was amusing how he just killed Chan and it didn't phase him at all. I guess black-boxes would not work because of how violently mobile suits explode.
>>
>>16170784
I don't think he was OK after that but I'd like to imagine the heart ache and torment of the battlefield spared him from the events of Hathaways flash
>>
>>16159537
Yes. As a matter of fact, there are more than a few handfuls of mech movies better than CCA by a wide margin.
>>
File: Quess' death.webm (2.97 MB, 720x390)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>16170784

He seems kind of shocked after her suit explodes to me. His shots seem wild and unfocused, and once she dies he leans back while his eyes go wide and his mouth opens, which suggests shock. Which seems kind of in line with the events of Beltorchika's Children. In that he kills Quess by accident, intending to scare her by shooting close to her suit so she'll leave Amuro alone. Him shooting wildly at Chan in anger after she killed Quess, and then ending up killing her by accident seems like something Tomino would write.
>>
>>16159537
No, because Hathaway and Quess are in it.
>>
>>16162078
>a three minute scene near the end of a 47 episode series qualifies as "build-up"
lol. I have a feeling that scene was just shoehorned in so that ZZ would have any continuity with CCA
Wasn't even a good scene.
>>
>>16173303
>>16162186
>Namedropping the second most important character in the franchise at that point and flat out stating he has his own plans isn't setting up for his return
Dumbasses
>>
>>16172712
I don't know anything about Hathaway's Flash but I heard in passing that he's sort of PTSD fucked up from killing Chan in that?
>>
>>16173303
More than a feeling, that's literally what happened. Once Tomino got the greenlight for CCA he just wanted to move towards wrapping up ZZ so he could do what he actually wanted to.
>>
>>16173334

He literally couldn't be, because Chan doesn't exist in Beltorchika's Children. He didn't kill her, he killed Quess. Which he is mentally fucked up by, but primarily because her newtype ghost haunts him.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.