[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: latest[1].jpg (259 KB, 1440x1080)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
Do I need to watch anything specific to appreciate this? I've seen 79 and the UC OVAs in recent years and watched G and Wing as a youngun.
>>
>>16172486
Not really, you can go into it having watched that much.
>>
>>16172486
No, but honestly Turn A is not nearly as good as everyone makes it out to be. I found it extremely uninteresting despite its novel setting, and the characters were flatlines, or flat out annoying like Sochie. Overall, for a grand finale to all Gundam timelines, it was a really forgettable series until they headed for the moon.
I'd say just watch the essentials like Zeta, ZZ, and CCA instead if you aren't planning on watching every Gundam show.
>>
No, you just need to have seen enough gundam to realize Turn A is the antithesis of most of it. Which basically means watching like any 2 series.
>>
>>16172495
What do you mean by antithesis? Not op but watched all the mainline UC gundams but not turn A.
>>
>>16172486
Not at all. It references things from past shows, but its story is entirely self contained. If you've seen MSG you'll recognize the Borjarnon as Zaku, if you've seen Wing and X you'll recognize the images from the historical files later in the show, etc. That's pretty much it. The sum total of the actual importance of the previous stories to Turn A's story is "we don't want to make those mistakes again" and a very clear implication that bad shit happened a long fucking time ago.
>>
>>16172754
Not who you're replying to, but Turn A is VERY different from every other Gundam (except maybe G-Reco). There's no major war happening, a bunch of episodes have no battles whatsoever, no new prototype, the majority of the world's tech level is late 19th century except for ancient machines dug out of the ground, no mid-season upgrade, only a handful of deaths, and lots of slice-of-life comedy.
>>
>>16172486
You're fine. Just watch it.
>>
>>16172770
Interesting. How do you sell toys if there are so few fight scenes?

Also how often do battles occur? More or less often than about every other episode?
>>
>>16172780
>How do you sell toys if there are so few fight scenes?
By looking cool as fuck and having a lot of personality. The Kapool's walk is super endearing.
>>
>>16172780

In Turn-A's case, it didn't. At least, not very well. Bandai released a Turn-A, Turn-X, Kapool, Harry Ord custom SUMO and Flat but stopped at that because they weren't selling if I recall. They eventually made MG's of the Turn-A and Turn-X, which have been relatively succuessful from what I gather, but I don't think individual numbers for gunpla are ever released so it's hard to tell. Regardless, there's some kind of fight in most episodes of Turn-A; but they're usually pretty quick and not the focus of the episode. There's probably only like 5 or 6 episodes with none, but probably a dozen or so where the fight is done in a minute or two.
>>
>>16172780
Aside from the Turn A itself, most of the MS in the hero faction are Zaku. One MS-05, three MS-06, and a Kapule iirc. The moon faction's designs are all new, but there's only a handful of them too. Turn X, Sumo, WaDom, Mahiroo, and maybe one or two others. There's also this ancient GM Cannon type thing that shows up for a couple of episodes before being destroyed. I'm pretty sure Turn A actually has the least number of mobile suit designs of all full-length Gundam series.
>More or less often than about every other episode?
I'd say less. I only watched the series once, and it was years ago, but from what i recall most of the battles were just small skirmishes and were fairly infrequent. The hero faction only had a total of six MS through the whole series, and the moonies (when they attacked) usually attacked as a group of three or four. There are a couple of full-scale battles near the end when shit finally hits the fan, but if you're expecting an action series then Turn A will bore the shit out of you.
>>
>>16172811

The Amerians have multiple Kapools. At least 3 or 4 of them, probably more. Miashie pilots one as well as Sochie for instance, and Corin uses a custom one in the last few episodes alongside them. Miashei also helps capture a Rib, and Joseph pilots a Flat. They also capture some WaDs too I think, though they call them Armadillos. The Moonrace militia initially has the WaD, WaDoms, Flats and SUMOs, though they eventually dig a few suits out of mountain cycles themselves. Namely two or three Muttowooos, which are basically Baund Docs. The Ghingham faction has a few more suits in the Turn-X, 2 Bandits (one remote controlled from the other), some Zsass and Mahiroos, which seem to survive as their mainstay unit. Will Game digs up a Cannon Illfeuto too, the Guncannon thing (though it's cannon analogue is a gatling gun). I'm pretty sure you're right about it having the lowest number of designs, and I'm pretty sure it has less than G-Reco or Build Fighters despite them being half the length. Battles aren't nearly as infrequent as you recall though.
>>
>>16172837
I'll take your word for it. I have no interest in watching it again to refresh my memory.
>>
>>16172495
I'd argue that would be Stargazer
>>
>designed for interstellar warfare
>powered by an artificial black hole
>on-board nanomachines are capable of a devastating attack which can cover a range from Earth to Jupiter
>nanomachines have the ability to convert most if not all matter to silicon dioxide (sand) on an molecular basis
>The Turn A is also capable of total regeneration of both itself and its pilot, by using the same nanomachines
>possesses ability to warp beam shots directly into enemy cockpits with unspecified limitations
>teleportation as another one of the Turn A's abilities
>it's beam rifle at full power is more powerful than a colony laser

Where is the series showing all of it goddammit?!
>>
>>16174337
Half of that is novel-only. There are two novels, neither one written by Tomino, which contradict each other all over the place. MLB reaching Jupiter is from one novel, and is an afterthought to explain why the Jovian colonies didn't survive the MLB. It also makes ZERO sense when you consider that not only the Lunar City but also the Sacktraeger survived it. The beam warping and colony-laser power level are from the other novel.
>interstellar warfare
>artificial black hole
>sand
>regeneration
Those are from Tomino's notes for the actual show.
>teleportation
That one's kind of vague. We do see it disappear in the show, but whether it's teleportation or invisibility isn't clarified aside from Gym making an assumption.

Most of what people "know" about Turn A's capabilities comes from Super Robot Wars, art books, gunpla manuals, etc written by even more people who aren't Tomino and including whatever they want from both novels as well as the show. It will never fail to amuse me that absolutely every source that claims the Turn A can do something is considered valid, but people will turn their nose up at the MG Turn X manual and even the show itself indicating that all Gundam shows take place in the same universe.
>>
>>16174380
>even the show itself indicating that all Gundam shows take place in the same universe
Yeah my takeaway was that each century culminates in a war between the Turn A and X that resets humanity thus starting the next century.
>>
>>16172486
It is a painfully slow series, just skip it and watch something better like cosmic era entries.
>>
>>16174724
Not necessarily the Turns but a similar technology endpoint
>>
>>16174380
The amount of non-sensical bullshit that's associated with Turn A from things like the novels and kits is surprising, I know Japan has a different idea of "canon" but there's so many contradictions these things bring (and at the end of the day what do they even add?)

>an afterthought to explain why the Jovian colonies didn't survive the MLB
I would actually like to see a side story about Jovian or Martian colonies during the time period we see Loran; but sadly it seems that like late UC, Sunrise don't really care about it (besides stuffing more things into the Black History).
>>
>>16174380

> MLB reaching Jupiter is from one novel, and is an afterthought to explain why the Jovian colonies didn't survive the MLB.

What's really silly is that that doesn't need explanation, since when Dianna is talking about the Black History there's some shots of colonies moving as she talks about how people left the solar system in colonies when they realized what was coming. That could reasonably include the Martian and Jovian colonies

> teleportation
> That one's kind of vague. We do see it disappear in the show, but whether it's teleportation or invisibility isn't clarified aside from Gym making an assumption.

I don't think it is. Uso had already done something kind of similar with a Victory Gundam. That aside though, there's no reason Loran wouldn't have just teleported out of that (and probably other) battles if it was teleportation, since he had no personal stake or desire to be in that fight in the first place. Or why he'd need to wave the beam sabers around like that to achieve teleportation, since that implies that the beam sabers are what houses the technology and not the suit itself. Which is silly.
>>
>>16174380
>but people will turn their nose up at the MG Turn X manual and even the show itself indicating that all Gundam shows take place in the same universe
mostly because it massively cheapens the setting and story of the other series. G Gundam features Tech and circumstances pretty unique to itself. Gundam X's post apocalypse setting loses its hit if another BIGGER Apocalypse happens after it. not to mention the convolution it would mean to fit these all together.
i can believe a VERSION of UC, G, X, and Wing all happen in Turn A's black history. but not the series themselves.
>>
>>16175002
>i can believe a VERSION of UC, G, X, and Wing all happen in Turn A's black history. but not the series themselves
I mean I feel like that's kinda just semantics but I get what you're saying I guess.
>>
>>16175400
>I feel like that's kinda just semantics
in a way, but for me it mean in a metatextual sense those sotries and "universes" can still grow separately from one another.
there will be no point where a write is writing a UC thing and Sunrise will go "opp you have to change that, you'e tripped into the bit where US become G Gundam"
>>
File: Turn X manual.jpg (83 KB, 640x853)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>16175400
That was how I used to see it, that Turn A's history had events that mirrored the events of all the other AU.
But then i actually watched Turn A, and saw the MG Turn X manual describe a single Gundam timeline beginning with MSG and ending with Turn A and containing all the other shows.
>>
>>16180181
And then Tomino says that GReco is 1000 years after UC and 500 years after Turn A, despite that directly contradicting information given in Turn A itself.
>>
>>16182136
Gotta love Tomino for being a giant troll sometimes.
>>
>>16172486
No, but it helps to see all of gundam first.
>>
Turn X is my waifu
>>
>>16182136
Death of the Author is a thing, ESPECIALLY when the author is Japanese
>>
>>16182136
Tomino is a known shitposter of the medium.
>>
>>16174959
Which episode does the Turn A teleport in? It has been a few years since I seen it and I do not remember it doing that
>>
>>16184199
>fanfic is a thing, ESPECIALLY when the author is choosing things I don't like
>>
>>16184235
It's one of the penultimate episodes, where Loran is battling Gym in space.

>>16182136
Do the Turn A movies ever reference anything besides UC? Because IIRC in the movies, those explicitly state that CC takes place 500 years after UC.
>>
>>16184252
What the fuck are you on about?
An author's perception or intention of a work should have no basis in its analysis. The bit about Japanese is that this particular situation (i.e., creators of a multi-structured franchise getting details about it wrong) seems to arise more when talking about Japanese works.

>>16184254
>Do the Turn A movies ever reference anything besides UC?
There's a clip of After War X shown in there.
>>
File: cc2345.png (1.59 MB, 1366x768)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
>>16184254
I've never seen the movies but the show definitely takes place in CC 2345. This can't be an amended UC date either because the Turn A itself is noted as being 3000 years old and still one of the younger mobile suits dug up, with the Borjarnon and Kapools being even older.

Even if CC starts from 500 years after the end of the end of UC, and GReco takes place 500 years after the events of Turn A, that's still 3345 years since UC, not 1000.
>>
>>16184271
>An author's perception or intention of a work should have no basis in its analysis
that's fucking retarded
if the guy who made the thing says the thing is a way he probably knows what he's talking about
what retard ego do you have to own to think you know what tomino's story has better than tomino
>>
>>16184286
>if the guy who made the thing says the thing is a way he probably knows what he's talking about
But he's contradicting information established by own previous work.
>>
>>16184294
so?
>>
>>16184299
So it's not a matter of fanfic or headcanon or whatever. We didn't come up with the timeline in Turn A, Tomino did.
>>
>>16184309
tomino says the timeline is that G-Reco is afterwards
so what's the issue
>>
>>16184286
Take a fucking college class, retard.
>>
>>16184312
Because he also says it's 1000 years after UC which contradicts information that he provided in Turn A. And he's never bothered to clarify since.

Authors are not infallible.
>>
>>16184314
If you think it is either one way or the other you are the retard... a retard despite the student loan
>>
>>16184319
it's works of fiction, not historical documents
he can make it whatever he wants lol
>>
People claim you won't be able to "fully appreciate" it unless you watch everything else that had been made up to that point, but that's really bullshit. As long as you understand the basic themes and progression of your typical Gundam series, you'll be fine.
>>
>>16184326
Yes, and in this case a later work of fiction contradicts a previous one, without the discrepancy actually being addressed within the fiction itself. Surely you can understand why then some would find the author's reasoning in this area to be suspect?
>>
>>16184286
That's not how art works, like it or not. Once you release something for public scrutiny it's up for interpretation. Look at how Fahrenheit 451 became a story about censorship when Bradbury intended it to be a criticism of mass media.

In Tomino's case though he's always changing his story so it's hard to take anything he says seriously.
>>
>>16184337
this isn't interpreting art
this is a basic fact
Tomino says it's after Turn A
if your autism can't handle fictional works having inconsistencies that's your problem, not his
>>
>>16184343
>if your autism can't handle fictional works having inconsistencies that's your problem, not his
Why do you think we can't handle it just because we find it in poor taste?
>>
>>16184343
>if your autism can't handle fictional works having inconsistencies that's your problem, not his
I don't honestly care one way or the other but you seem pretty invested in it.
>>
>>16184353
>poor taste?
wat
>>
>>16184359
I find it in poor taste for an author to write a sequel that apparently contradicts the work that it's ostensibly a sequel to without ever explaining his reasoning. It doesn't trigger me, I'm not sperging out about it, I simply don't agree. I don't know what else to tell you, anon.
>>
>>16184364
that doesn't make him wrong though
>>
>>16184368
Doesn't make him right either.
>>
>>16184377
Tomino was in charge of it.
Tomino said this was it.
Your feelings about it are worthless.
>>
>>16184387
He has the authority, yes, but authority doesn't make you right.
>>
>>16184390
when creating fiction, yes, it completely does
there is no "real" gundam history that's inaccurately portrayed
it's all make-believe and you control none of it
>>
>>16184395
It doesn't. I am free to disagree, and neither you nor Tomino control that. That's what Death of the Author is all about. The author may control the work but they have no control over how people respond or interpret it.
>>
>>16184400
yeah that's why it's fanfiction disguised as postmodern critique
>>
>>16184414
So in your opinion the reader/viewer ought to be entirely passive, accepting everything the author says, never questioning them or disagreeing?
>>
>>16184428
if you want to make up your own shit go make up your own shit, leave Tomino's show out of it
if you want Tomino's show take Tomino's show
>>
>>16184443
Answer his question anon.
>>
>>16184443
But I don't want to make up my own shit. You keep going back to this idea of fanfic despite the argument revolving around inconsistencies in Tomino's own work. What I want is for you to answer my question.
>>
File: Turn-Anvsible.webm (2.28 MB, 1440x1080)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB WEBM
>>16184235

It's in episode 43, though again, I don't think it's teleportation personally. Also, the Turn-A movies place CC 5000 years after UC as compared to the TV shows 10000 years, not 500.

>>16184283

There's other things in G-Reco that are incompatible with the idea as well, like the Cyrano-5 asteroid being stated to be occupied for thousands of years when there's no Earthsphere colonies beyond the Moon itself in Turn-A.

>>16184286

Wasn't this the same interview where he told people to make up their own timeline? It sounds to me like Tomino doesn't actually care one way or another and is just trying to nettle people who get too pofaced about about continuity. Given that there's information within G-Reco that could place it both before and after Turn-A I don't think he ever intended it to be one way or the other, and that he wasn't even considering Turn-A as definite point in time with reference to G-Reco, just making what he wanted to make as he wanted to make it and hang the details.

Regardless, Tomino can say what he wants but if he includes things in his work those things have more validity to some than his actual word.
>>
File: q_s1dVFJm.jpg (110 KB, 600x600)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>
>>16184533
I'd say it's the old Trousers Of Time again.
With the crotch in UC, we have one pant leg leading to Turn A and the other leading to G-Reco.
>>
I feel like a lot of problems people have with this show are intentionally put in the show by Tomino.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.