[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: jesta is besta.jpg (1.43 MB, 2459x2205)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
*** BEFORE YOU POST, FILTER AND DO NOT REPLY TO THE NAME/TRIPFAGS IN THIS LIST TO IMPROVE QUALITY OF LIFE: http://pastebin.com/ePVKFkTn ***

*** INVITES TO THE /m/ DISCORD ARE CURRENTLY TURNED OFF BY ITS MODERATORS. THE r/Gunpla DISCORD IS SERVICEABLE ENOUGH UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. ***

***READ THE GUIDE***

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1Tr8UyF2Xg5Ojqw0sxcO7oIG7IIsJPes3lMO5pHZKu5o

***READ THE GUIDE***

For those new to gunpla/plamo or even just new to this thread; please read the guide. Please read it before asking questions, as there is a chance it has already been answered there.

For those unfamiliar, "plamo" is a shortened form of "plastic model". If it's made of plastic, someone can probably help you here!
If you're new, you're gonna fuck up. Don't worry! If you're experienced, don't make the new people worry!

>Why won't anyone answer my question?
Try being specific, especially about your materials and process. Post pictures whenever possible; even if the kit/part looks bad, you are more likely to get help posting pictures.

>Why are my pictures sideways?
4chan strips EXIF data from images when they're uploaded to the website from your phone, including the orientation display tag. To solve this, save your images out separately, or use an app that will rotate and save the image itself for you.
One commonly used app that works well on Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer

>Links
A guide to other types of plamo:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/1vf1aw7v91pz5pa/Airfix%20Model%20World%20Specia%20-By-Step
Kawaguchi Gunpla tips:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx-SoCOivVEHNDOl16VWLB3A
Gundam Lineart:
http://seesaawiki.jp/nuriesozai/lite/d/MenuBar1
https://gundma.imgur.com/
Another gunpla guide:
http://funakatown.com/images/Building_Gunpla_Final.pdf

Monthly restock:
http://bandai-hobby.net/site/schedule_images/nouhin.pdf

>IRC Channel
>Server
Rizon
>Channel
#gunpla

Previous Thread: >>16244526
>>
File: war machine no longer.jpg (57 KB, 800x450)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
== CIVILIAN GROUP BUILD ==

Build a mobile suit/mecha that is designed to fill a non-military role. This includes (but is not limited to):
>Police/Emergency work
>Construction/repairs
>Racing/Sports
>Public displays/restoration projects

Weapons are allowed only in the case that they would fit with the theme of the model (A pistol/rifle on a police mech, an axe on a fire fighter mech, a drill on a construction mech, etc).

Submit your finished entries to gunplaplamo@gmail.com with a name for the entry and at least 5 photos of the finished kit and either any WIP images you might have taken of it or a timestamp of the kit with something /m/ related on it.

START: 12/15/17
END: 2/28/18
>>
File: 20180212_092209.jpg (245 KB, 750x1000)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
So I'm in the process of building my first Gunpla in over 15 years. Starting off with this HGUC Gundam Mk-II for beginner's practice, but I got a couple of questions.

First, after I get the panel-lining done, I got Tamiya weathering masters and matte topcoat to apply, but what's the order I should do them in? I was thinking weathering and then topcoat to seal all the work in. Or should I also do a topcoat layer immediately after the panel-lining so that I don't mess up that work while doing the weathering?

Second, I tried doing seamline removal with extra thin cement and sanding where needed, but I still see now-shiny lines in the middle of the sanded parts, especially on the dark blue backpack. Does the matte topcoat help eliminate that? I'm becoming concerned that when I get to the head, I won't be able to get rid of the seamline that goes around the whole piece without delving into painting.
>>
File: shiny seams.jpg (112 KB, 500x840)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>16252763
Here's what I mean by the shiny cemented+sanded seamlines that I'm hoping topcoat will cover.
>>
>>16252779
Topcoat might help a bit, but you'll probably still see some marks. The sanded plastic will be a lighter colour than the rest. Honestly, probably not a good idea to do seam line removal if you're not comfortable with painting your kit.
>>
File: ms-12-3.jpg (61 KB, 400x400)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
HGUC Gigan when
>>
Anyone else change their blade every model kit?
>>
>>16252739
>Jesta in charge of being best grunt suit again
>>
>>16252861
Yeah sure, I wouldn't use a blade caked in dried blood on a new kit.
>>
File: 20180213_041750.jpg (233 KB, 747x1328)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>16252944
Just get to the point that the skin on your thumb is too thick to actually get through.
>>
>>16252949
yup i got those too, looks weird when paint gets in there
>>
Does this general ever post anything but gunpla? Been in these threads for a few months and there's some great content, but it's all under that one narrow purview
>>
>>16253030
Well we post plamo if you're looking for other model kits.
If your looking for gundam stuff outside of gunpla /toy/ would be your place. They also have a gunpla/plamo general there
>>
>>16253042
Interesting. I mean there's nothing wrong with gunpla, and this is the Mecha board, it's just that pretty much every Mecha series has its own kits, but I only see the gunpla. I'll see what /toy/ has going on
>>
>>16253030
>gunpla general
>"why do you guys only post about gunpla"

If you want more scale model stuff, go to /toy/. Some Koto stuff gets posted here every so often (and I'm doing one for the groupbuild) but gunpla has a much wider range, really.
>>
>>16253046
OP says plamo general. It's not necessarily more scale models, but more Mecha kits. I mean it's the plamo thread on the Mecha board, but it's just Gundam. Buy a zoid or an aura battler kit or something
>>
File: 1397423347963.jpg (82 KB, 600x451)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>16252739
Are there any good guides for assembling and scratch building your own weapons?
>>
File: DAZAK19.jpg (151 KB, 747x1000)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
When dat azz be too skinny..
>>
File: DAZAK14.jpg (150 KB, 747x1000)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>16253111
>>
File: RGM-86R_GM_nouvel.jpg (39 KB, 270x420)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Nouvel Jimu Trois kit when? Year of GM came and went and we didn't get a Nouvel or a Night Seeker.
>>
File: DAZAK22.jpg (136 KB, 747x1000)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>16253111
but dem thighs be like...
>>
File: DAZAK16.jpg (147 KB, 747x1000)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>16253118
>>
>>16253120
nice, are the inner frame details hand-painted?
>>
>>16253125
Yes. Details are hand painted, which I wish I was better at. Did a ton of dry brushing and detailing, but still finding more stuff to paint as it look through.
This was my first PG kit. After this I can't imagine going back to smaller scale kits.
>>
>>16253067
Still has his own "safety nubs" on. Not ready to be a daddy.
>>
>>16252861
Yes. You can buy a hundred for like $10, why wouldn't you?
>>
>>16253116
Knowing nu (((Bandai))) they'll release a P-Bandai Nouvel after they shit out this horrid piece of shit.
>>
>>16253156
That doesn't have any Nouvel original parts on it though. Its just a standard gmIII as the base with a few new parts.
>>
>>16252861
Ya. Like once or twice...If it's dull change it. That's how it works, otherwise its a regular knife you need to sharpen.on.a rock.
>>
>>16253152
>he uses #11 blades
>>
File: exa.jpg (259 KB, 1200x1200)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
Does anyone have an idea how to achieve this silvery-white colour?
>>
>>16252779
Give the seams some more sanding otherwise like >>16252808 said it'll be uneven, both color-wise and texture-wise.

I think it's actually recommended to do topcoating, then weathering, then possibly another top coat after. I've read that the weathering doesn't adhere well to bare plastic, but maybe someone who's done more will know.
>>
>>16253156
I unironically really like that
>>
>>16253202
a pearlescent paint, most likely
>>
>>16253140
I've heard mixed things about the PG Zaku, how's the build? Giant, super-detailed Zaku calls out to my soul, but if its a mess design-wise I'll stick with the MG.
>>
>>16252861
I built 15+ kits of various nature, HG, RG, MG and so on, I changed my blade only once, dunno why would you be so wasteful, it doesn't dull so easily, at least mine don't, I just cut my thumb 2 days ago because the piece I was cleaning was really small, by just touching it without too much force.
>>
>>16253202
I'm guessing that's white with a little bit of Blue and a semigloss topcoat. You have to take in consideration that there is a good soft light in the photo
>>
>>16253306
There's a mega-sized model to fit your needs, anon.
>>
>>16252779
Try this: Assuming you have regular tamiya or mr cement deluxe:
Take piece of runner it came off of and cut it flat on the end, brush some tamiya on (extra thin doesn't work well for this because it evaporates too fast) then give it a bit (few seconds to a minute based on plastic density).

Then push it on the piece to kind of apply some melted plastic like a gluestick.

The shininess is because you tried to seam weld after the fact it looks like, rather than fill the seam with it. That's why guides say "it'll goop out" because you apply it to the edges, it'll melt a little then put the pieces together and some of the melted plastic will ooze out. After its dried THEN you go back and sand. Also if you accidentally take some off of the edges like that when sanding/filing then the pieces aren't flat and flush, you often end up with a rounded divot between the pieces.

Also what others are saying about discoloring, you can mitigate that.

>>16252763
Weathering masters is a powder so it needs a roughed surface to adhere to better.

You need to matte coat before using powder weathering products or pastels. Then you topcoat over them. Powders don't adhere to bare plastic or gloss coat well.

Also avoid trying to do seam line removal with thin cement.

Good luck buddy. Be careful getting advice in the threads, there are some who are new or basically never build but lurk and give secondhand/bad advice. I spent the last year doing nothing but just trying everything and now I've just been jaded on most other builders here.

>>16252296
Thanks man, I've got kiddos so gotta stick with acrylics, and tamiya is the only thing available locally that isn't garbage.
>>
>>16253571
>Also avoid trying to do seam line removal with thin cement.
Not him, but I haven't had too much of a bad time seaming with extra thin, but I've only practiced on white pieces so far so that might be why they've looked good despite.
>>
>>16253586
The thing is, you use so much of it to do a good invisible seam reliably there's no reason to use it anymore.

Honestly, I started gunpla last year in feb and have been smashing through kits and learning new stuff since.

If you know a good way to do it, share man I'd love to have a better understanding.

Also big shoutout to limonene cement, it's good stuff, and while it's bad for seam removal and runner putty, it's great for being a main use cement despite a longer drying time because of almost no fumes and very low to no toxicity.
>>
>>16253594
Nah, I'm just learning on doing seam lines. I practiced on my RX-78 revive and the legs didn't come out too bad, so I tried on the arms/feet of the Qubeley and it looks pretty good, but I haven't gotten to top coating any kits yet so it'd probably look even fainter then.

But those are all lighter plastic, so I'm not sure. Extra thin probably won't make enough of a closed seam on darker plastic.
>>
>>16253156
I've taken to calling this one Jim Beam.
>>
>>16253111
Hank Hill inner frame.
>>
>>16253611
Alright, well just a few things I wish someone would have told me:
(all on tamiya cements)
Extra Thin only melts a very small amount of plastic, some evaporates and some becomes part of the plastic.

Limonene is safer to breath in, melts the plastic slower because it's literally made from a chemical found and extracted from citrus fruit peels.

Regular works very good for seam welds because it melts a good bit of plastic and a good amount of plastic (not mostly cement-plastic mix) comes out of the seam, thus filling it and making it less discernible.

I went into this trying to make the nicest bare kit I could, with mild detail painting, panel lining, seam welding, and post shading via pastels, and recently I think I'm getting to near the edge of what I can do without paint.

Next steps are to start scribing more details on every kit or adding aftermarket parts as well as plaplate details.
>>
>>16252649
I thought he was the store manager when ever I went in he was tending to the machine in the back in front of the gunpla isle that has a bit of a high rise to it
>>16252567
I just saw it as they didn't want my money so I shop elsewhere now.
>>16252560
Yeah they do sell the campaign parts for like 6$ and they NEVER had the raffle tickets. I had to get mine from some kind anon that goes to the laurel store. The 10 cent bag tax is a rockville/DC thing to cut down on waste. they figured if you paid for bags you'd save them or bring your own bag, which I always do when I visit that area. everyone has tote/bookbags there.

Any anons going to katsu? I hope they have a lot of P-bandai like Ota did
>>
Anyone get an mg 00 xn raiser?

Is it just 00 raiser but spikier?
>>
>have a pile of kits prepared for painting but not yet painted
>it keeps getting bigger because I clean nubs and the like while watching stuff

I really should just snapshit a kit and not paint it to give me a breather but I just can't do it.
>>
File: image.jpg (401 KB, 998x1500)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
About to snapshit my first kit since starting the hobby almost 4 months ago. Feels wrong not painting, but at the same time it’ll be nice after painting 9 kits.
>>
>>16254012
Meant to reply to this
>>16253997
>>
What is your favorite/least favorite "main" gundam? Funnily enough GP01 was originally my least favorite.

Favorite: GP01 (Gunpla only, looks like shit in the anime)

Least favorite: Shining, which is funny because I adored it as a kid.
>>
>>16253714
>I thought he was the store manager
He's often told me he was the only one who took the place seriously at all, so I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm not sure what machine you would be referring to, I live a couple hours away, so I've only been to the place once, and that was like 7 years ago.
>>
>>16252392
>>16252567
From the sounds of it, they weren't actually looking through the stuff. By checking it means you have to leave it up at the front or you can't shop there. A record store near me does that.
>>
File: fireball.jpg (262 KB, 1037x1549)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>16253030
I posted my latest MaK build on /toy/ a few days ago, and have occasionally been posting progress on my groupbuild MaK as well. I do wish the thread had more variety though.
>>
>>16253714
I went once a couple years ago and decided against going again I felt old and out of place . From what I know its the bluefin booth that has all the relatively cheap p-bandai stuff at local cons and I don't recall them ever having a booth at katsu. There's like only one other booth that ever has p-bandai and you can expect the usual markup on them.
>>
the effort continues!
>>
>>16252861

If I'm really, REALLY, bothered to finagle another blade out (my work space is incredibly messy and I'm a horribly organizer) I just run the blade along some coarse grit sandpaper.

Free sharpened blade till I break out a fresh one.
>>
File: Dom Custom.jpg (383 KB, 2048x953)
383 KB
383 KB JPG
I swear I've seen custom builds for almost every single one of my kits that makes me want to drop money on a air brush and a compressor and attempt this shit in the dead of winter. Although this one has some additional plaplate added on.
>>
File: wing1.jpg (365 KB, 1440x1080)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>16253063
>>16253030

I probably build about 50% kotobukiya kits. I slack real hard with taking photos though, I'll try to be better in the future. Going to be done with my storm sworder soonish.
>>
>>16254145

This would be great without the edge highlighting. It looks weird as hell and in some cases it is very illogical. For example on the feet there is highlighting where shading would make a lot more sense.
>>
>>16254145
Which Dom model is this?
>>
File: Someone's rick dom wip.jpg (200 KB, 2048x719)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>16254202
MG Rick Dom with tits and a backpack.
>>
>>16254206
Wow, that's a lot of modification of a turn of the century kit.
>>
>RG MK.II's front skirt fell again
I give up, I'll just display him without it. I tried glueing it a fuckton of times and it's still falling off. I lost one of the backpack thrusters while trying to fix him because that shit keeps popping off too.
>>
>>16254177
By edge highlighting, you're referring to that white snow like effect?
>>
>>16254299

Yes.
>>
File: 1518532685682.gif (540 KB, 252x188)
540 KB
540 KB GIF
>tfw after a long painting session you accidentally leave a fingerprint in the surface and have to start again
>>
File: gundam00_new.jpg (158 KB, 1280x800)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
Is the RG 00 Raiser good for a beginner? I've seen some HG reviews and I really don't like them (specifically Barbatos, HG wing zero and HG GP01)
>>
File: 20160802095619976.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>16254330
I don't get why people bother with high grades, or real grades, they're too small. If you plan on buying a few kits (which you should because normies will visit your place sooner or later) buy good one's. Get yourself a good MG, my first and only kit is a PG Unicorn and it took me less than a month working on it 7 to 10 hours a week, probably less actually.
>>
>>16254340
I'm not that beta to think about having few kits because of that, the thing is, I have problems investing on HGs because they look (and are) cheap, but if 00 Raiser RG is too complex I might fuck up and waste my money.

I like the 1/144 scale and I plan on buying HGs to paint and panel and experimen only if I like the hobby
>>
File: FullSizeRender (1).jpg (1.88 MB, 2939x2796)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
sup niggers check it mail guy came by today and dropped off some shit
>>
File: 1493942371159.jpg (119 KB, 565x407)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>16254377
>Zudah
>Thunderbolt Zaku II & Big Gun
Good shit
>>
>>16254377
btw if anyone has built this big gun zaku wtf is up with the colouring of the gun being a ugly ass blue?
>>
>>16254377
that's a lot of boxes

nice
>>
>>16254340
Show me where to buy a MG Messala
>>
File: 23354-2.jpg (95 KB, 900x675)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>16254340
>>16254370
>It's a "HGs are cheap toys" episode

They're fine if you actually put in the time to customize them. All gunpla look like cheap plastic robots straight out of the box if you're straight building it, barring modern PGs.
>>
>>16254330
Don't be a fag, just follow the damn instructions. I'm sure even you can do it.
>>
I lost the green foil decal sheet for my HGAW GX9900. I put on all the decals except for the Satellite Cannon camera lens decal. How fucked am I? A friend suggested metallic green paint but I don't know how i'm gonna get it in that tiny pit without me messing up and making it look like garbage.
>>
>>16254012
>4 months
>painting 9 kits
bud you been busy burning money, mind embarrassing me by showing me a kit you painted? Also origins guncannon is a great kit to fun-snap

>>16254028
I'm exactly the opposite. Love Shining, cannot stand GP01

So which one of us is the mirror world version of the other?

>>16252861
No, I use it for a lot of stuff but not cleaning nubs so it doesn't need to be that sharp. A good file is a lot cheaper than buying new blades every couple months.

I do resharpen my blade with a blade sharpener and rehone it occasionally with an arkansas stone, a lot cheaper
>>
>>16254391
I mean, the HG is so big it might as well be an MG.
>>
File: IMG_1457.jpg (2.3 MB, 4032x3024)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
inb4 empty boxes. i honestly have no idea what to build first though. haven't built a rg before and the only other mg i have is tallgeese. i might save some of the hgs in case i can you use them for the next group build.
>>
Which is the best Wing Zero EW kit?
>>
File: IMG_1217.jpg (986 KB, 2048x1536)
986 KB
986 KB JPG
>>16254429
Its been money well spent. The Jesta in the OP is my latest.
>>
File: 820.jpg (27 KB, 600x367)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>16254444
>>
>>16254370
If you just snap it with nothing beyond that, all of them look cheap. The logic behind this never makes sense to me.

Don't take advice like from that one fag who's only built one super modern status symbol kit.

PG is extremely easy also. When he posts high res pictures for scrutiny that's when he's worth listening to. Until he posts the nubbed or stress marked 200 dollar piece of trash his opinion goes into the trash.

>>16254444
No doubt, I spent almost 2.3k my first year.
>>
>>16254432
What happened to your lids man?
>>
File: 150694764921.jpg (440 KB, 3024x4032)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
How is this the most popular post on /r/gunpla?
>>
>>16254458
I'll keep that in mind anon
>>
>>16254474
Why were you on /r/gunpla to know that it was the most popular post?
>>
>>16254478
A lot of good custom builds posted there. I mean, this >>16254145
came from there.
>>
>>16254477
Sorry if it came off salty and dickish but when I started in this thread a year ago, I got tons of bad advice. When I came back to talk results and figure out where I went wrong only one person had answers, and the rest were clueless. Seriously one whole year of slowly watching the thread give out bad advice, and people in your same shoes (first handful of kits) purporting to know anything of value, and weighing opinions on things they can't speak of in any meaningful way.

I hated that snapfag guy who was always posting his same shitty snaps in here but he called that shit on the nose. Plenty of people here are dirty snaps or just lurkers who put something together once and are bored.

>>16254474
Because to praise that is to make all of them feel better about putting low or no effort into their kits.

They have a thing called speed building where they just cut 9-10 kits or more out of runners in a single day/sitting. Imagine the money lost when some do it one to two times a month. That's more than some good honest anons get to do in a year.

So they want to celebrate that you can get a good result with a sticker over admitting that it's really not that hard to learn how to stroke a little orange or metallic paint on a kit.
>>
File: 4567904561123.jpg (79 KB, 531x767)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>16254498
>Plenty of people here are dirty snaps or just lurkers who put something together once and are bored

I feel like this is extremely true
>>
>>16254498
what is a dirty snap anon, i'm new on the lingo
>>
>>16254513
What gives you the impression? The fact there only seem to be 5 people at a time posting painted builds? This discussion comes up regularly.
>>
>>16254474
That sticker looks like a bitch to apply so they're flipping out that someone did it perfectly.
>>
>>16254527
I get the feeling from the constant groupbuilds and the number of submissions that there are a decent number of people working on and painting their kits, but only a handful of those people actually post WIP shots in the thread instead of just submit the finished builds to GBD when the due date comes up.
>>
>>16254518
Well there's nothing wrong with just cutting pieces out of the runner and slapping (or snapping) it together. I enjoy it myself sometimes and it doesn't make sense to begrudge someone that relaxation or simple fun.

But I use it in a derogatory sense when discussing people who are bad in that way, like the speed build redditors smash a hundred or more dollars in kits out then basically throw them into the trash, or people who just snap kits but feel like a pro despite avoiding doing any more work on it either out of fear or any number of legitimate reason. They make the environment worse, and while you can have a great small community on 4chan, anonymous makes stuff like that much worse.

>>16254534
Yeah I post in discords but not in the thread because I doubt anyone cares about what I'm doing and I'm not seeking attention.
>>
>>16254432
>Opening every kit at once
AAAAAAAAH
>>
At least most people on reddit are having fun with Gunpla instead of bitching about the oh so terrifying boogieman of casuals financially supporting their hobby.
>>
File: berklerg.jpg (1.03 MB, 1944x2592)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
What should I do next? Have a banshee and a bandai ATAT in the mail.
>>
>>16254572
This is the soul of gunpla. You open all the boxes, throw the runners in the air, and cut things out of runners as they fall.

>>16254592
No one is wronging them for having fun doing that. It just fucking sucks when they get uppity and try to tear you down for spending 2+ weeks on one kit, or having only snapped try to give you advice on things like shading, or tuning a kit.

You could shove the runners up your ass whole for all I care, but when you bring others down with it because of your insecurities because you run from challenge, there's a problem. No doubt there are perfectly fine speed snappers out there.

Also I'm guessing this thread has gotten more crossposters based on people posting reddit pictures and defending it.
>>
File: sad keroro.gif (1020 KB, 500x375)
1020 KB
1020 KB GIF
>>16254635
>cut things out of runners as they fall
Tfw you can never compete
>>
>>16254631
Gouf Custom
>>
>>16254545
>because I doubt anyone cares about what I'm doing and I'm not seeking attention.
But I care, anon. I like to see what everyone's doing. And while I don't mind when it doesn't happen, I much prefer threads where everyone's posting their builds cause it gives me lots of good images to potentially showcase in the OP.
>>
Does the RX 93 Ver Ka have significantly longer legs than the standard MG?
>>
File: IMG_20180213_215833795.jpg (2.28 MB, 2432x4320)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>16254688
You asked, I'm working on Origins RX-78-2
>>
>>16254534
this has always bothered me i usually try to post WIP pics during group builds but i never see but maybe two or three other people posting theirs compared to like 16-20 entries
>>
>>16254631
gouf or the gerail but paint the gerail
>>
>>16254631
HG Shining, it's a fun kit.

>>16254835
I've started a groupbuild twice but out of lack of ability or direction in customizing I ended up quitting, and luckily I didn't post WIP or else it'd make me feel terrible.
>>
>>16254631
Hizack. Never seen one posted here.
>>
>>16254828
>VERY fast gundam killing zakus at incredible hihg speed

I like the eye effect, makes it genuinely look unsettling.
>>
File: Weathering + Topcoat.jpg (147 KB, 1272x434)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>16253571
>The shininess is because you tried to seam weld after the fact it looks like, rather than fill the seam with it.
I used the Tamiya extra thin cement both between the pieces before squeezing together as well as putting a layer on top of the seam. That's what the videos seemed to suggest anyway. Though I had the impression that I could do fine by just extra thin, however, it does feel inadequate in practice. With it's wateriness, I'm not really seeing either the melting effect or the "goop out" from squeezing. I guess I ought to give in to getting the white-capped regular cement before putting together the weapons and head with their huge seam lines.

The discolor from sanding only appears to be drastic on the dark blue parts. I'll try sanding some more to even out the color across those surfaces, but hopefully the weathering will help to disguise it along with the matte.

>Weathering masters is a powder so it needs a roughed surface to adhere to better.
I guess I would find that out soon enough if I tried powdering the raw plastic. Looking at additional guides, I see now that topcoat-then-powder is the recommendation.

My overall goal with the weathering is to give the entire body a more-realistic shading, similar to what I saw demonstrated in this video: https://youtu.be/Ikk7ybBiP1I?t=5m16s However, that was done with a marker, not powder. Can I achieve a similar finished look, or does powder not spread like that?
>>
>>16254849
Went through a few videos to show you what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6C2-SKxBEI

So extra thin only melts a very small amount of the plastic, enough to weld the two sides together.

The discoloration you're seeing from sanding/filing is just it getting a matte texture which reflects less light making it look darker. If you use gradual grades of sandpaper you could bring it back to that shine, esp if you pick up a nail buffing block makes it a breeze.

Powder DOES work well like that, I grabbed a cheapo pack of soft pastels at the local craft store, grind some off with a hobby knife and use a makeup applicator to put it into creases. I'll try to find a video that showed me about it.
>>
>>16254849
Here's the video that got me started doing pastel shading:

He has videos also showing him doing a wash with them (added to water and a drop of soap to replace panel line markers/wash/accent) and weathering. One cheapo product that saves importing like 4+ others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnHlkKIs-Jk
>>
>>16254847
The light effect is one of this dude's. I made my own but it isn't as bright.

http://gundamled.com/
>>
File: IMG_20180207_202947_424.jpg (104 KB, 1080x1080)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Do you use coasters, /m/?
>>
LATE UC KITS FUCKING WHEN?!?!?
>>
>>16254925
Needs more cheese.
>>
File: img_9666.jpg (147 KB, 1024x683)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
Any advice on doing eyes and lenses? I'd like to get a look that doesnt just look like shiny metal. Anyone ever try luminous tape or glow in the dark paints?
>>
>>16254876
Yeah that's one of the videos I saw. Guess the combination of regular and extra thin is important.

One thing I find remarkable compared to the turn-of-the-millennium models, though, is the improved engineering to eliminate the need for seam-removal altogether. As I recall from back then, clamshell parts like in that video were the norm, but this 2015 model >>16252763 has a lot of tricks to get rid of or sensibly hide seams, even as an HG. The lower leg isn't a clamshell, but rather four separate armor pieces that come together on a central limb. The forearm _is_ a clamshell, but the seam there is purposefully meant to be a finished panel line. Similarly, the foot guard and knee joint has a seam on one side, but it's matched by a panel line on the opposite side, so the seam is meant to be a panel line, too.

And truth be told, I'm only just using an HG for first-time practice. I'm actually interested in MGs (of which I already have a Zaku on standby) and maybe some RGs. Do such modern models have even less seams to deal with than HGs?
>>
>>16252843
>Pbandai sleeves space version
>>
>>16254969
You don't need extra thin. There are some occasions where it'll cut out some work, but I tried doing it with extra thin before I got regular and limonene. I ended up slathering it on and having to give it some seconds then put more on to make sure it was well melted before pushing together.

The Origins RX >>16254828
is mine, and whether you realize or not when looking you're staring at seams out the ass.

RGs I've only seen one seam on an rg so far (upper back of calve on exia) and I just scraped it with a knife and panel lined it lazily.

HGs come and go, if you do something more modern you'll not see them, like origins guncannon, which I've built three of for my kids and they're a fun little build that looks great.

I wouldn't sweat seams that much. If you care enough get some regular tamiya or some mr cement deluxe and a few old 3 dollar HGs like the 08ms team line and go to town practicing. GM Cold Districts is another seam monstrosity.

>>16254960
I've heard people talk about this stuff, and it makes absolutely gorgeous eyes. I'll be getting some myself soon. Apparently because eyes and lenses are so small the shit lasts forever.
>>
>>16253306
The build and quality is great. I have no idea why anyone would have anything negative to say aboot this kit. It's apingly solid compared to a MG Zaku, which I think are not too poorly designed.
>>
File: 1280973952935.jpg (158 KB, 384x500)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>16254925
>>
>>16254849
>YOU CAN REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE.jpg
>>
I got one of those 80's MSV kits. Should I paint it before I put it together?
>>
So when I'm trimming nubs, I just clip it off with a #18 xacto knife. Usually I can get it pretty flush but theres always a slightly discolored part. I'd just have to paint to get around that right?
>>
>>16255012
Yeah because you'll have a hell of a time taking cement apart.
>>
>>16255014
You can
1. sand the FUCK out of it with some 400/600 grit paper to get it really even, as long as it's not the perilous "tiny white dot pulled up by nub shaving" issue I always get on dark plastic

2. use an appropriate gundam marker to lightly touch up the spot and blend it in

3. paint/topcoat the part to cover up or to smooth out the discoloration
>>
>>16255014
if (for example) it's a blue part, is the discoloration white, or a darker blue?

If white, it's stress from your hobby blade and can be mitigated by sanding or filing it down instead, or getting a sharper blade or trimming the nub down differently with the same blade.

If it's darker color, that cannot be helped. It is a part of the plastic where for the mold the plastic is forced into, so right where the nub used to be the die and plastic will be most dense and therefore the color will be slightly darker.

>>16255021
this was the advice i got last year after snapping an HG Shining as my first kit. The first is...ok but it doesn't mention that sanding leaves its own marks/scores on the pieces that you have to figure out how to deal with, simple enough but the info wasn't given to me, the second is outright dumb because all the kits are just about slightly different colors, and gundam markers are specific variations on the colors. For example there's a seed gundam marker set intended for specific line of seed kits.

Paint will cover but topcoat won't really hide any of those marks.

Pastels can help hide them a lot, more decals. Don't forget when assembling you're looking with intense scrutiny but after being assembled the more details it has, the less visible all the flaws will be.
>>
>>16255015
>never painted a kit before
>>
>>16255036
That very last point does seem true, though I've only built one kit so far. I made sure my nub marks were minimal and now unless I'm really looking for them, I can't really notice them.
>>
File: 1491751014921.jpg (30 KB, 600x640)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>16255039
Keep Giving Advice, Practice Giving Untested Advice Will Only Make Your Bad Advice Better.
>>
>>16254977
I skimmed over the MG Zaku manual and am pleased to see that there doesn't appear to be any seam problems. Everything seems to be sensibly segmented out, including areas I suspected to be problems like the lower legs and weapons.

Unfortunately, something that I'm not getting practice with on the HG are transfer decals, not just in terms of applying, but also minimizing the final outline. I have a little experience with them as I also dealt with 40k models back in 3rd/4th Ed., but they were definitely a major pain. Perhaps, though, it was only because they were on tiny, curved Space Marine shoulder pads.
>>
>>16255039
Well that's the age of the kit doing a lot of work for you. I'd wager it's got a bunch of undergating to cut visibility too.

>>16255038
Don't bother man, we've got two different people who've never built a kit before and one person who's only built one brand new PG. Not gonna do anything.

>>16255068
Yeah try checking dalong not just to look at manuals or runners but also the kit, a review of the kit, pictures of it and inner frame, etc.

http://dalong.net/review/mg/m106/m106_p.htm

Also you can cheaply get waterslide decals to practice with standalone. 6 bucks to throw some random crap on an HG to practice before you pick up a 30+ dollar MG to avoid ruining, seems a low price.
>>
>>16253144
The strike just had those ends on its vfin. That's a perfect grade, they don't have safety flags
>>
File: 1512389359808.gif (967 KB, 319x240)
967 KB
967 KB GIF
>>16253144
Well considering the safety nubs are to protect children, perhaps he's ready because he has them.
>>
>>16254145
I follow that builder on Instagram, he freehands his panel scribing, it's crazy.
>>
>>16255038
Well, I assumed that painting the parts would be a lot easier especially on a 80's kit, although with the amount of seam removal you probably have to paint a lot after, too.
>>
>>16255056
?
>>
File: IMG_3034.jpg (1009 KB, 2400x1600)
1009 KB
1009 KB JPG
>>16255012
>>16255015
As someone who's actually built one of those old 80s kits, I'll step in and say build the thing first before you paint. Go over the instructions to see what parts you want to move and which you don't, what parts you think you might have a hard time painting once they're glued into place, and THEN start gluing parts together. Once all the glue's done drying putty up any gaps and sand so it's level to the plastic. Now go and paint it all up. Once all the paint's dried/sealed with top coat glue on the parts you thought you might have difficulty painting if they were glued on already.

Putting these old kits isn't actually all that hard, it's just hard making them look passable next to a kit that's come out 20+ years later.
>>
File: IMG_2870.jpg (304 KB, 2400x1600)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
Also, there's only two more weeks left in the Civilian Groupbuild. How's everyone holding up on that?
>>
File: 51fhFluiNvL.jpg (41 KB, 288x500)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>16255075
Oh, speaking of separate decal sheets, I never really considered them before. Is there any place like dalong that gives example pictures of their use? I know you're suppose to pick and choose what and where you want, but I'm looking at some kit-specific sheets and wondering what they had in mind in making them, especially when it comes to line segments.
>>
>>16255147
Looking at them side by side like that, the Zaku tank looks like a paraplegic.
>>
File: IMG_1476.jpg (1.31 MB, 3264x2448)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>16255147
posted my b4 in another thread but since then ive just done some weathering and need to paint the girder
>>
>>16254310
Thats why wearing gloves is a good idea, It might help depending on the situation. I learned that the hard way
>>
>>16255187
Oh, I see. This mobile suit must have some kind of magnetic technology for walking on the side of colonies for easy construction.
>>
>>16254886
Nice video
>>
>>16255056
>>>16255039
>Keep Giving Advice, Practice Giving Untested Advice Will Only Make Your Bad Advice Better.
>>16255138
He ( ^) is an asshole for making fun of a newbie trying to make a conversation and you need reading comprehension
>>
>>16255215
you gay
>>
>>16255247
that reply was me, and I was being genuine. I'm sorry for the shitty wording.
>>
File: Crouda.jpg (153 KB, 376x372)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>Suits that need a kit
>>
>>16255418
THICC
H
I
C
C
>>
File: jamru f.jpg (15 KB, 300x244)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
what's the best way to paint an old model?
>>
File: 1499965158975.jpg (330 KB, 1788x900)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>16255446
Going off of what I touched up on in >>16255145, your order should be

>Examine parts/instructions to see what should and shouldn't be glued together
>Build/glue kit together, but make separate assemblies for stuff that requires movement (Arms/legs/head/weapons/etc) and parts that might be a pain to paint if you glued something in place there (Under the skirt of a Zaku for example)
>Putty up any blemishes/gaps you might have and sand the FUCK out of it.
>Prime and Basecoat the parts in their main colors
>Either mask off the parts and spray on secondary colors or handpaint them on manually
>Top coat, decals, top coat again
>>
>>16255446
Great taste anon.
>>
Well Germany absolutely sucks for gunpla. I have a tallgeese III stuck in customs that I have to go pick up myself with the receipt, or pay 30 euros for them to deliver it. On top of paying VAT. Shithole country if I've ever seen one
>>
File: 6vScT[1].jpg (137 KB, 717x880)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>16255161
No, but if you're looking for specific things some are made for specific kits. You could get some RG premium sheets meant to replace the sticker decals in RGs and you'll know exactly what you're getting. But the only way to know what's in the pack otherwise is to take a look at the picture.

>>16255247
pic
This isn't a hugbox. Him taking part in a conversation is fine but he's given at least 3 people advice now on a topic he has ZERO experience with.

>>16255446
There's a gunpla flowchart floating around, someone should repost it or I might dig it up.

>>16255514
EU just seems to want to punish people for staying indoors and doing peaceful hobbies they love.
>>
>>16255446
By modding the fuck out of it to look like the awesome old boxart.
>>
>>16255521
On one hand I agree that it's dumb to say "I have only built one kit and it was the less than a year old PG Unicorn" then hand out advice on HGs you've never touched, building tactics you haven't used nor know about, and other stuff...at the same time there's no reason to be a dick.

He needs to stop trying to give advice, but there's no urgency to put him into the ground for being dumb.
>>
File: 1512553076267.png (40 KB, 355x258)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>dropped the leg joint of the Shin Mazinger Z I was build and is likely lost to the abyss of time and carpet
Do I blame ZERO or Dr. Hell?
>>
>>16255521
Yeah, I was really starting to like Germany too, took some getting used to and it takes forever to get anywhere, but its quaint. 20% import tax is where I draw the line tho. I guess Seattle is my next best bet
>>
>>16255564
Blame not building it over a plate or something with a little ledge.

>>16255566
Come to the midwest, very few hobby stores but importing is stupid cheap and gets here fast because there are so many shipping hubs, and domestic hobby sources deliver here next day cheap.
>>
>>16255564
You'll find it. Every time I lose a small piece I always end up finding it again later.
>>
>>16255571
Importing I'm used from living in Pa, I just dont want to live very rural, a little tired of it after 22 years
>>
MG REBORNS WHEN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>16255571
>build over a plate
>drop a piece
>it hits the edge
>the combination of angled surface, irregular piece shape and sheer velocity flings it across the room, out of the window, and onto the coat of your long-furred dog that chases a squirrel up the road before getting hit by a car
>>
>>16255612
We already got the zaku and now F91.

>>16255639
Try a shallow storage container like they sell for leftovers at the grocery. You could go bonus and put that rubber lining stuff for cabinets in it that is nonslip, that way you can remove the contents and knock the dust out every so often.

I snap and sand everything needed for a limb inside of one then panel line, decal, topcoat before assembling. Then paint after.
>>
>>16254416
I couldn’t find a good picture of the rifle from the front if that is what you are talking about, but that looks pretty simple, if it is a little cup shape you could just dip the paint in and let it fill the bottom for you. Should do it by itself. Just be careful not to hit the edge of the dip or anything like that and you will be fine.

>>16255566
If you are same Germany anon that just talks non stop in every thread about being in Germany you have been there for like two weeks. Think you need to chill out.
>>
>>16255658
no cuz this place sucks now, and being here is something entirely new for me god damn
>>
>>16255514
>>16255521
Each member state decides taxes wtf does that have to do with EU
That said you can avoid taxes in your country by shipping via proxy to UK and then to you, but it is really efficient on big orders.
>>
File: Salt22.jpg (144 KB, 900x602)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
Anyone attempted salt weathering with a gunpla before?
>>
>>16255612
After MG Alvaaron attached to an MG Alvatore
Who am I kidding, there's not even an HG.
>>
>>16255663
Germany has plenty of kickass stuff to see and do. Enjoy the time you get to spend there and check back in with the hobby later. Promise you Gunpla will be here when you get done with experiencing a once in a lifetime opportunity.

>>16255786
This seems really cool, anyone have info on it?
>>
File: salt.png (801 KB, 626x912)
801 KB
801 KB PNG
>>16255786

No, I have used the hairspray/chipping fluid method though.

>>16255834
>>
>>16255612
is 00 Raiser MG good, or is the RG better?
>>
>>16255860
Both are really good in their own ways. Don't get the straight Raiser, get the XN, its fucking great.

>>16255786
Yes, works just fine. Your undercoat is important and don't use any super fine granule kind or else it'll be a bit too uniform.

hairspray chipping makes a better effect for 1/144 scale though
>>
>>16255786
Feels like the chips are to large and randomly placed on something the scale of most gunpla.
>>
>>16254513
Snapshitter with 4 HGs under his belt and now planning a project to graduate from snapshit status reporting in
>>
File: Untitled-2 copy.jpg (3.4 MB, 3162x3006)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
HGUC Dom. (with TS-80 and some gundam markers + decals)
>>
>>16253156
I knew we'd topped out on GM goodness with the Cardigan but goddamn this is awful even for absolutely minimal expectations post Try
>>
>>16256045
What's your plans for next step?

My first step out of pure snap was panel lining + decals, then I started trying scribing and tuning kits for better durability/flexibility.

>>16256051
Nice work man, very photogenic
>>
>>16256111
Got some experience with painting other stuff already, both hand-painting and spray cans. Probably gonna try some panel lining on my next kit, and already got some plans for a fun larger build involving some simple custom parts later on.
>>
File: submarineboi.jpg (131 KB, 1408x972)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Going for a research submarine theme for the groupbuild. I'll post the color scheme in a second, but what color should I paint the subarms?
>>
File: subbyman.png (19 KB, 545x547)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>16256212
>>
>>16256214
Those reddish parts are supposed to be closer to a tangerine shade.
>>
>>16256212
A lot of marine research robotic equipment seems to be this particular shade of yellow.
>>
>>16256212
>mecha mcmech face
>>
File: dsv.jpg (128 KB, 1500x912)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>16256233
I hate yellow though. Part of my inspiration comes from this japanese research sub, with the blue being thrown in for added color.
>>
>>16256270
Could just go with orange for visibility, or white with the cylinders below the wrists painted in orange to break things up a bit.
>>
File: subbychild.png (19 KB, 545x547)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>16256295
This is another option, which is more in line with the inspirational material
>>
>>16256307
Eh, I prefer the extra color of >>16256214
>>
How soon will we do the next group build? I want to throw down and I always seem to miss the group builds (or come back here as they end). Haven’t ever built a full on custom, just painted a bit. I just know in some way I would love to make a Build Fighters/Divers Dahack.
>>
frogboi is complete and just requires weapons, a couple more decals and a topcoat.
>>
File: DV6uq8fU0AAqQYx.jpg (612 KB, 2048x1924)
612 KB
612 KB JPG
Anyone know where to get small skulls like Pic related?
>>
>>16256051
I fucking love the weathering. How do you actually pull off the droopy rust effect?
>>
>>16255128
source me
>>
>>16256467
Bilest86 I think
>>
>>16256467
He's on yt, reddit, and elsewhere as billyray86
reverse image search brought up everything even his mom.
>>
>>16256371
yea boi
>>
so, is this a normal release or pbandai?
http://figsoku.net/blog-entry-96845.html
>>
Does anyone have an image of the MG GM Space Command being compared to the old HG? I just realized Dalong doesn't put up with Bandai's bullshit anymore.
>>
>>16256530

pbandai
>>
>>16256530
MG add on for Shiki 2.0 when?
>>
>>16256530
Reprint of the P Bandai Mass Produced Hyaku Shiki Kai looks like
>>
Is it looked down upon to just panel line?
>>
>>16256618
Do what you want to do. There are posters that will look down on everything you do.
>>
>>16256619
yeah you're right lmao
>>
>>16256618
No, a kit with just panel lining can look good. I think a minimum is to find your preferred way to handle nubs though.

I mean, I try not to judge people but I've got a child who builds gunpla and he can handle nubs so there's not much excuse beyond that.
>>
Should I get the Pbandai Action Zaku or Efreet Nacht? I'm more afraid of bandai pulling a fast one and releasing the zeta act zaku as a regular release if anything
>>
>>16256653
Act has a chance as zeta hg efreet has a chance at re100

Get the one you like teh most
>>
>>16256637
as in painting over them or sanding them gone? on my first kit I just cut them as close as I could with an xacto
>>
>>16256806
Any way you want, there's several ways. Painting isn't really a specific nub option unless you're painting the entire kit and the majority of people that wander through here are snapfags so forget their scrutiny.

Sanding is a good option, you can use a hobby knife/xacto if you want but remember that with an xacto you want to shave the nub off, don't try to just cut through it unless your xacto is exceptionally sharp or else you'll leave behind white stress marks.

If you shave the nub off in 5 or so strokes and cutting away from the plastic with a sharp blade it's a pretty effective although more expensive (blades) and slower (have to keep a careful eye on it) way to remove nubs. Nothing wrong with it.

I like to suggest that new guys try sandpaper on a popsicle stick because it's cheap and each piece lasts a lot longer than you'd guess. If you like that method you can invest in some files which given you use them right will last you until you stop using them right.
>>
Working on a design for a custom IBO gundam. How's this look for the parts to use? Would be using a dantalion, Flauros, Bael, and Kimaris Trooper to make it, as well as whatever i decide to cannibalize to make a custom head. I'm also a bit torn on what to use as a backpack.
>>
>>16256853
expensive
>>
>>16256881
That's basically the price of any medium-sized MG, it's not really that expensive. The only thing I'd be worried about with that kitbash is the Dantalion's parts clash a lot when put next to other IBO gundams since it's generally so different compared to the others. I'd advise against it unless you're super sold on Dantalion's legs.
>>
File: m132_02.jpg (87 KB, 419x700)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
How do plated parts react to top coat?
>>
>>16256907

they look like shit. dont do it.
>>
>>16256907
They look fantastic. Do it.
>>
>>16256853
try barbatos vanilla backpack , decent vectorized thruster and a good ranges of options to add weapons ( and also those telescoping backholders ) the feet look weird, if you are going for a minimalistic look use barbatos too
>>
>>16256907
They look okay. Listen to somebody else.
>>
>>16256442
Secret Weapon Miniatures - Bag of Skulls
>>
>>16256907
I don't know. Ask someone else.
>>
>>16256907
Reply hazy try again
>>
>>16256907
Well try it on the runner dipshit. Some topcoats differ from others.

I'd wager a super gloss acrylic wouldn't hurt if you cleaned it first to remove fingerprints, but it may never be as glossy after.

Obv a matte coat is retarded, I would avoid anything like lacquer or from testor's.

Honestly if I had to topcoat it with anything because I was concerned, I'd do it with pledge on a runner and see the effect it has on the shine. If little to none, then whatever pledge away.

I have a plated kit right next to me right now, so maybe I'll try a piece myself.
>>
File: 982745982.jpg (139 KB, 800x478)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
So in the process of just starting out with gunpla >>16252763 and doing panel lining, I quickly realized that I needed better lighting. Didn't want a cheap, stubby desk lamp, though. I wanted a light that was a) overhead rather than at and angle, and b) high enough to not block my monitor as I'm just sitting at my computer desk.

Looking at the options on Amazon, I decided that I might as well go with an LED articulated magnifying lamp.

...I wonder a little if I'm investing too much too quickly.
>>
>>16257050
You are investing too quickly if you bought it just and only for gunpla.
>>
>>16256853
There's the Kimaris Booster from MS Option Set 4 you could use
>>
File: GGTB1.jpg (371 KB, 898x1146)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
Finally finished this up today.
>>
File: GGTB2.jpg (388 KB, 900x1200)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
>>16257441
>>
File: GGTB3.jpg (398 KB, 900x1200)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
>>16257445
>>
File: GGTB4.jpg (398 KB, 899x1167)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
>>16257447
>>
File: GGTB5.jpg (319 KB, 899x888)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
>>16257449
>>
>>16257450
huh
>>6777744
>>/toy/6777746
>>/toy/6777747
>>/toy/6777749
>>/toy/6777750

really want that attention
>>
>>16257458
I've cross-posted on both gunpla generals for a few years now.
>>
>>16257458
There are people who exclusively post in one gunpla/plamo general and not the other, so posting in both is a good way of receiving feedback from multiple sources.
>>
>>16257460
I left your server so hows about you leave my general?
>>
>>16257477
>my general
fuck off kiddo I pissed on it first it's MY general
>>
File: DSC_7074.jpg (1.42 MB, 3008x2000)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>16256453
It's not rust, it's dirt) I used "Weathering Master Set" from Tamiya. Forgot to mention this in the first post.
>>
>>16252949
cut your nails anon
>>
>>16257558
How else am I supposed to pick my nose or scratch stress marks off my kits?
>>
Anyone have the X model kits from '96? Looking to get the Virsago 1/144 chest break and was wondering how the quality was. The oldest model i have is the 1/100 Serpent Custom, which felt hollow and loose (still good).
>>
>>16257639
Keep in mind 90s kits were shit, even for the time. Because the economic bubble burst in the early part of the decade.

That kit is a no grade, whereas the Serpent Custom was a high grade. It's going to need a lot of love to look decent and it's going to have gaping seamlines.
>>
>>16257512
That's a very very blue goof
>>
File: img_3119.jpg (148 KB, 1600x1200)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>16257639
Proportions are a bit naff, elbow/knee joints are entirely polycaps, with holes at the top and bottom which the leg/arm pieces attach to with pegs so you'll want to replace the joints with aftermarket parts/spares to fix those two issues. Minimal parts separation, too, so get ready to do lots of masking (the gold parts and non-blue chest sections are all foil stickers OOB).
I personally have a hate-on for those 90s polycap hands, too. The weapons are always too chunky to fit into HG-sized holding hands, so in some cases your SOL on that score.
>>
Why is the strike GNX and A-Z not on amazon?
>>
>>16258019
because amazon is a slow, expensive place to get gunpla from unethical, lazy, unmotivated sellers.
>>
>>16257949
>>16257994
Thanks. I'll grab it and build it after I practice on some cheap 1/144 hg's. The Virsago has that edginess i love.
>>
>>16257639
Serpent Custom was by far the worst from that HG 1/100 line (EW iirc)
>>
File: artemis.jpg (722 KB, 2117x2822)
722 KB
722 KB JPG
Jeganfag/PrizeAnon here again.

I remember someone asking a couple of threads ago if I had AGE 2 Artemis parts.

I do! It's on the house if ya want'em! Shoot me an e-mail at lizardbot4k@gmail.com

I can probably ship it out tomorrow if ya contact me fast enough.

The offer is also extended to anyone here on /m/ if ya need any weird/obscure parts/kits.

I don't know if I should type out a list of what I have or just post pictures of the dungeon.
>>
>>16258019

try mandarake, I saw a couple of A-Zs the other night.
>>
>>16258507
d-do you have any of the hazel option kits??
>>
>>16258019
>Amazon Prime Gundam
>Isn't available on Amazon overseas
>Is only available on Amazon in Japan
>>
>>16258527

I have the 1/144 Hazel Brakes from '04 and the MG 1/100 Hazel head parts.

Which ones are ya looking for?
>>
File: KsnVeXP.jpg (247 KB, 1412x1059)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>16258507
I don't suppose you have the Ballute pack set by chance? It's kind of hard to find them for cheaper than the MG kit, and I don't want a bunch of spare Shikis floating around.

So why don't you build, my man?
>>
>>16258507
Man I've been away for a week and I totally missed this. What's exactually going on here anon?
>>
>>16258507
What about someone newer to the hobby who just likes sending/receiving care packages?
>>
>can't seem to reach into a spot with the paint while airbrushing
>but the primer was of course able to get there so the spot is bright gray

I give up
>>
>>16258545
wait, brakes? im lookin for the primrose and the hrududu
>>
>>16258707
Happened to me on my second ab project, left a huge bead of paint on the kit like a retard.
>>
File: IMG_1101.jpg (831 KB, 2048x1536)
831 KB
831 KB JPG
What do you guys do with your kits when you're done with them? Like, do you just look at/fondle/admire/play with them?

I feel the need to pick up and mess around with my favorites daily. Not sure if thats autistic or what.
>>
>>16258816
I repose them periodically just to keep things fresh
>>
>>16258816
first few weeks or months I repose them eventually I find a pose I really like and keep it like that. Sometimes if I buy another kit that goes with it, I might have them in a battle pose together.
>>
>>16258816
Only a couple I really like, mostly I like building them. Give the rest to my kids to play with, spend a lot of time repairing them and helping them making kitbash "customs"
>>
>>16258816
I fiddle around with them while posing until I find one that I really like them and keep them in that pose forever, fearing I'll never be able to get it back.
>>
>>16258816
>>16258853
pretty much this
>>
File: vrOkzy3.jpg (750 KB, 2822x2117)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
>>16258589

I build! But very sparingly. I just don't have the time anymore unfortunately.

Right meow I'm working on a 1/144 custom Jegan and 3 MG Jestas and 1 Jesta Cannon.

As for the MG ballute packs, I think I have one lying around.

>>16258687

I'm trying to clear my workspace out haha. I'm not quitting the hobby but I just have way too many part appendices and kits that I know in my heart will never get built up.

So might as well give it away to people who would actually get a kick out of it!

>>16258695

Sure why not. Hopefully it'll get you into the hobby!

Also not pictured but I also have a bunch Kotobukiya MSG packs, some older Votoms stuff and pillars upon pillars of Robot Spirits.
>>
>>16258709

Ah dag, definite no on the Hrududu. I gave a friend the Primrose appendix but to my knowledge he hasn't done anything with it.

If i can get it back from him, I'll update ya!
>>
>>16258944
Do you have the Kestrel or Rasiel and Sefer?
>>
>>16258944
man that's a lot of Pbandai I'm curious what's that big blue one on the bottom? I can't read it, but i was gonna guess the Barbatos complete set
>>
>>16258507
PM'ed.
>>
>>16258988

That's the Twin Ground Graze set.

>>16258955

I'm keeping the 1/144 Kestrel. I promised myself that I'll prime and paint it before I die!

No luck on the Sefer Rasiel, I'm probably gonna search Mandarake Complex and Yellow Sub next time I'm in the area.
>>
>>16255658
Thanks. I also took another look around the web and some people actually suggested buying a green gundam marker just for this. I think I'll end up buying some markers (should have done it when I was in HK....) but this solution should work for now.
>>
>>16259018
Out of curiosity, do you have the Wagtail parts for the GM Type C?
>>
>>16259028
Yeah there's a specific camera/eye green gundam marker, it's pretty nice given you shake it enough before every single use.
>>
>>16259035

Pff, is the Space Pope reptilian?

I do.I'm currently waiting on a box I mailed myself a few weeks ago from Nagoya.

Wagtail Appendix, Build Summer Campaigns C-G, and I think even a few of those free 1/144 action bases they gave out with the first runs of the HGIBO kits. Namely clear blue Gjallahorn and orange/brown Teiwaz stands.

As soon as that gets in I'll post here.

Alternatively, shoot me an e-mail at lizardbot4k@gmail.com and I can update you personally.
>>
File: gwbc2016.jpg (90 KB, 720x960)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Oh man, to the anon who e-mailed me 2 weeks ago about the Krieger I'm sorry I just read it and responded.

I apologize profusely. I don't intentionally shun/ignore/don't respond to queries.

Just posting here if by some chance you're reading this.
>>
File: Ursa.jpg (693 KB, 2533x1000)
693 KB
693 KB JPG
Trying to decide on how I'll paint my groupbuild entry, which set of legs looks better?
>>
>>16259145
First one. Kneepads look out of place in the second one and the third one just looks like frame instead of an armor piece.
>>
>>16259145

The first one with a weathered look revealing a bit of that unpainted grey would be fantaaaaaaastic.
>>
>>16259145
Definitely first
>>
File: Build Burning.jpg (148 KB, 608x1080)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
Was talking to someone else last night and mentioned I too had a plated kit nearby I was contemplating snapping. I started it since I was up all night, figure I'll post a wip from last night.
>>
>>16259209
Oh god, the fingerprints on that thing must suck.
>>
>>16259214
Yeah you would not believe. I joked elsewhere that if I ever get arrested they'll opt to take this model in lieu of possibly less comprehensive fingerprinting.
>>
>>16258944
>I build! But very sparingly. I just don't have the time anymore unfortunately.
>Right meow I'm working on a 1/144 custom Jegan and 3 MG Jestas and 1 Jesta Cannon.
Dang, that's definitely more than I'm building.

Have you built the Birnam Corps Jegan? There's something about the purple and black against the pink beam sabers and the orange on that lance that is just so good.

I've been thinking about buying a few of the P-Bandai Jegans that came out last year.
>>
>>16259209
Kickass.
>>
File: DWH-ix6VAAAkR60.jpg (237 KB, 1080x672)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
Obari box art
>>
>>16259295
Does the manual say what the stupid backpack is supposed to do?
>>
>>16259306
ITS NOT OUT YET RETARD
>>
>>16259295
Don't like the gundam but the boxart is ok.
>>
File: birnam.jpg (40 KB, 560x560)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>16259219

I finally managed to track one down - it's the only P-Bandai Jegan release of the last couple years I missed out on!

Yes, I even got the shameful Camo Jegan Type D.

It's funny because I always wanted it because of it's look compared to the Gyan Krieger and bam, Bandai puts out a Krieger.

>longingly gazes at the night sky, wondering when and where the 1/100 Jegan may be.
>>
>>16258944
is that all backlog?
>>
File: t3_2q8why.jpg (261 KB, 900x1200)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
Pass that robot toy, I wanna see it
>>
>>16259403
Are you carving your sprues out of cheetos?
>>
>>16258946
many thanks
>>
>>16259377
There still hasn't been a Jegan 1/100?
>>
>>16259295
still looks stupid. I could definitely do something better than that
>>
>>16259295
this art looks terrible, quality as fuck in the face
>>
>>16259295
i dont get it, its just bog standard box art
>>
>>16259434
Is Obari losing his touch?
>>
File: backlogdeux.jpg (839 KB, 2117x2822)
839 KB
839 KB JPG
>>16259386

Honestly, its hard to tell at this point.

I would say I've only built and painted 6 of the MGs in that picture (Unicorn, Tallgeese, Zeta C, GM Sniper 2 still needs to be painted, Origin, and Char's Zaku 2) and the RG Unicorn within the past 6 or so months.

The 1/100 IBO boxes are full of spare parts, campaign sets, ms options, koto shit, etc.

I got a glut of the HGBF kits/option parts for free so I'm definitely going to use them to kitbash.

But this here is also part of the backlog problem. I had this insane idea for an 8 armed giant Graze Ashura type of thing and got switched onto Jegans and Jestas again as I started watching Metal Gear Solid streams during builds.
>>
File: 10517937a4.jpg (130 KB, 1200x1200)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>16259403
Here ya go bro
>>
>>16259511
Nah, I want that one you just made. Want to make sure you got every detail
>>
>>16259427

literally the last thing about it was a picture of the Jegan lineart amongst others on this RE 1/100 panel at I think the Bandai Hobby Show in 2015.

Aaaaaand that's it.
>>
>>16259377
>>16259427
>This year is the 30th anniversary of CCA
S O O N I hope
>>
File: 10517937a5.jpg (266 KB, 1392x1600)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>16259514
oh okay here ya go bro
>>
>tfw official gunpla head busts never
>>
File: Inaho_Kaizuka.jpg (100 KB, 1900x1052)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>16259518
I Like it.
>>
>>16259431
go fuck yourself tripfag
>>
Is there anywhere out there that has a comprehensive list of all of the dengeki hobby add-on parts, and other things along those lines? I have a passing interest in them, but finding information for them has been a bit of a pain.
>>
>>16258944
Have you built that Nu Ver Ka? was thinking about picking one up myself
>>
>>16259518
>Strike Rouge ver Orange.
>Rouge
>Orange
IT WAS CALLED STRIKE ROUGE BECAUSE IT WAS A ROUGE COLORED STRIKE. JUST FUCKING CALL IT STRIKE ORANGE.
>>
>>16259687
this guy gets it (and gets mad).
>>
What am I in for?
>>
>>16259706
A light wallet
>>
>>16258944
>'m trying to clear my workspace out haha. I'm not quitting the hobby but I just have way too many part appendices and kits that I know in my heart will never get built up.
>
>So might as well give it away to people who would actually get a kick out of it!
Oh wow so you are actually selling some of that? Do you happen to have a list of what you are selling?
>>
>tfw waterslides

is there a better feeling?
>>
>>16259706
>What am I in for?
>EX-Standard Banshee

Only a couple of clear parts and no transformation. I hope you enjoy stickers and big hollow pieces with giant gaps in the back.
>>
>>16258944
You wouldn't happen to have an MG Strike Launcher/Sword pack around? Really only need the launcher parts but yeah just thought I'd ask.
>>
>>16259748
Sounds like SDs in general.
>>
File: e15_06.jpg (99 KB, 694x600)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>16259759
Nah, BB Senshi Unicorn and banshee had plenty of clear parts and could transform. And when I say hollow gaps, I don't mean a couple little holes in the back of the leg spaced around the details and if you add a little putty it fills it in and looks fine, I mean HUGE GAPING HOLES that even if you putty over you would have o add all the detail and even sculpt it into the right shape.
>>
>>16259766
I guess it's just the 3 or so normal SDs I've done but they were all like that. I have done zero from the BB Senshi line. The ones I did were extremely sticker reliant for any color.
>>
File: b391_02.jpg (79 KB, 629x600)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>16259772
The bb senshi line got really fucking good towards the end, and the bb legends were excellant. Going from them to the ex-standard (which was the new sd line bandai was pushing) was like going from the HG Origin kits to the HG Tristan. These ex-standards don't even have the excuse of being based on old molds.

Here's the bb senshi Banshee norn with no stickers. And yes it does transform for the most part.
>>
File: e15_00a.jpg (96 KB, 662x700)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>16259781
Actually i fucked up, theres some clear marking stickers and a couple little stickers on the feet.

Here's the ex-standard. Please note the horrible looking gun and the lack of working gimmicks in favor of this horrible gimmick for the line where you take parts of the sd and form a super lame looking weapon for an hg to hold.
>>
>>16259784
that's really bad, thanks for the lesson man. I might have to pick up some bb senshi kits. A friend already had me ready to pick up the god one (musha godmaru?)
>>
File: Kampfer with Shotgun.jpg (1.22 MB, 2362x3150)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
It's ya boi kampfer.

The topcoat ate the paint a bit, which is a shame, but apart from that everything seemed to come out okay.
You gotta learn from these things.
>>
>GM sniper II's wrist (part F8 to be precise) snaps
>bandai doesn't have replacement parts in stock
FUG.
>>
>>16259116
hey thats at hobby co in QVB
>>
>>16259706
Let me know how you like that Zeta Plus when you get it, been thinking of picking up the A1 myself
>>
File: IMG_20180216_060213.jpg (300 KB, 2048x1536)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
HANATE
>>
>>16260011
Is that the dansleif?
>>
>>16259807
What kind of paints man? Great work btw
>>
>>16260031
Yep and its a stickerfest
>>
>>16260031
show 'em
>>
>>16260011
>>16260036
honestly my desire for one outweighs my disgust of sticker-fests
>>
>>16260036
>>16260133
Or you can act like an adult and just paint it.
>>
>>16259706
I pray you're not in Europe, anon
>>
Can you take your faggot back?
>>>/toy/6780488
>>
>>16260299
Seems like you guys got your own set of problems, yeesh.
>>
>>16260299
Why do they hate group build tripfags? genuinely curious since I don't participate in group builds.
>>
>>16260306
>>16260311
Just to let you guy know you're responding to the shitposter from /toy/. He shits up the scale model thread and tries to start drama between it and the gunpla/plamo threads there constantly but the gunpla/plamo thread tends to ignore most of his crap so he's resorting to trying to drag the /m/ gunpla thread into it.
>>
>>16260299
Anon is right, why are you salty about it?
>>
>>16260299
Post gundams in there? Sure.
>>
>>16260328
Thanks for the tip, will ignore from now on.
>>
>>16260311
He's mad cold war didn't win so he shuts down any chance of a group build
>>
>>
That dude came here to shit it up and was b& within an hour? It took like 16 for him to get banned and cleaned up after shitting up two different /toy/ threads on models, prob more we didn't know about.
>>
>>16259518
>people that don't understand that its strike ROUGE, not strike rogue

its the opposite of wow
>>
Trying to decide between the Re100 Hamma Hamma or the 1/100 Graze Custom. Anyone have any experience with either?
>>
>>16261346
I have the 1/100 Graze Custom. Has a nice amount of weapons and customization. Sword which I'll modify to use with my Tallgeese, Axe, Machine Gun, shoulder mounted bazooka. Although I've been regretting getting it lately.
>>
>>16256442
Those are literally 3D printed.
>>
>>16260657
not all mods are created equally
>>
How are your guys enjoying the MG Deepstriker announcement?
>>
>>16261402
Hoping for more 80s thrusterfuck kits to follow it.

MG Zeta Plus Hummingbird anyone?
>>
File: 10420332p[1].jpg (220 KB, 1200x757)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>16261395
Thankfully so. If they were all like those guys the entire site would be a shitshow.
>>
>>16261402
Is this peak statue status, or is there something else that has it beat?
>>
New thread

>>16261517
>>16261517
>>16261517

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.