[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Crusade's End.jpg (132 KB, 703x1080)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
/m/ books thread, post what yer readin' / recommendin' / etc.

Does the Horus Heresy rely on preexisting familiarity with the world of WH40k, or can I just start reading without knowing much other than dated memes about the grim and dark grimdarkness of the grimdark.
>>
>>16637420
I don't read books, with the exceptions of Poe and Lovecraft I can never get into them.
>>
>>16637420
Ask /tg/ anon. But be warned, they give you 100 answers, each less useful than the last and all contradict each other.
>>
>>16637420
I was reading a bunch of the old Captain Future stories a while back. Fun space adventure stuff.
>>
>>16637457
I don't know why Edmund Hamilton got memory holed. His stuff is great space opera.
>>
>>16637500
at least the Star Wolf tv series got a dvd release
>>
>>16637420
You may find it hard to visualise the setting and some technology + terminology if you don't have prior knowledge of 30/40k especially the Horus Heresy.
Everyone knows the general story of the Horus Heresy but the books explain every detail about how it happened and who did what. It'll be fine to read straight of the bat but don't be afraid to google some terms you don't understand to aid yourself.

Some people recommend only reading certain books, saying others are shit or filler but it's down to you. I've read them in the order they were released, some people say some should be read together but it's down to you.

The first 3 books are a solid introduction to the Horus Heresy though, I'd say read those 3 and see if you still have a feel. Some books are rather bad or atleast different from what you were reading the book before. The story tends to jump all over the place.
>>
Forever War is a must.
>>
>>16637443
That's how the lore works too
>>
>>16637619
Well I know 40k does have a pretty sizable wiki to its name, and since I'm reading the omnibus in the OP and it starts off with a short story where for reasons unfathomable I get to find out there's a second person in the entire galaxy who happens to be named Horus, who serves under -the- Horus, I've been pulling the wiki up every so often just to make sure I'm parsing things correctly.

I mean sure they go out of the way to point out that that Horus is "Little Horus" but goddamn I bet that short story is more for the people doing their second pass through the series.
>>
File: retief cover.jpg (47 KB, 393x548)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Concerning 40k, I've enjoyed pretty much all of Robbie MacNiven stuff. I'd call it at least slightly above average and improving.

Also; >>60551241

Currently I'm wrapping up one of Keith Laumer's Retief compilations. Good classic Science Fiction.
>>
>>16643402
Trying that again.

>>>/tg/60551241
>>
>>16637420
I second that you should read first three books and then see if you like them enough to continue. I thought that second book was the weakest among first three and considered dropping it, but third one was pretty solid.
But then "Flight of the Eisenstein", fourth one, was so weak, and beginning of the fifth one was very uninspiring, so I put HH on hold and switched to Ciaphas Cain books. Those are VERY enjoyable.
Also, first HH book makes a good job explaining setting and terminology to you.
>>
File: 814sKOe+BcL.jpg (364 KB, 882x1339)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
How about some actual /m/ books unrelated to board games for nerds from the chess club?
>>
File: NewSun.jpg (137 KB, 368x480)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>16643426
Why not both? Anyone else read the Book of the New Sun series recently?
>>
>/m/-/lit/ thread
>no Stanisław Lem
I gotta fix this.
>>
>>16643438
I did about a year ago. May need to read it again to actually understand what was going, but I really don't want to.
>>
best 40k books are the Eisinhorn/Ravenor trilogies, and Gaunt's Ghosts.

Best non-40k books are The Culture ones.
>>
>>16643438
I read them few years ago. First 4 were solid, even if "WTF am I reading?" at times. Last book, written years after first four, was unnecessary.
I want to get into the Book of the Long Sun, because generation ships are my jam. Anyone knows other books about them? Obvious Heinlein aside.
>>
>>16637420
>Horus Heresy
Are we finally, finally, finally free of anthology hell?
>>
File: 1528643233873.jpg (49 KB, 640x480)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>16637420
STARSHIP TROOPERS
ROBERT A HEINLEIN

if you havent read it you're missing out on a major inspiration for the entire mecha genre. Basically invented powered armor. Also a great book
>>
I liked "First and Only" I don't know much about 40k but a friend who does lent me a codex and the book and even diving in blind I thought it made for a good read.
>>
>>16643106
>Horus, who serves under -the- Horus
You mean Little Horus? Do they explain the sons of Horus in that short story? That's a weird thing to have at the start. Essentially due to quirks of the astartes process some people tend to look extremely like their primarchs. In the luna wolves they are called sons of horus and Little Horus is one of the few that look exactly like him. His actual name is Horus Aximand. And it's just a name. Nothing to look deeper into.
>>
>>16644550
Well you get enough to piece it together, I'm just a believer of being very VERY careful of introducing more than one character with the same first name, let alone more than one character where they're described as looking similar on top of sharing names.

Of what little I know about 40k, I'm positive Alpha Legion's one big joke at my expense given such a mentality.
>>
File: Alpha legion.png (225 KB, 793x366)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>16644637
We're all Alpharius anon
>>
>>16637420
>From the New York Times bestselling novel series
They're really milking A Thousand Sons' success as hard as possible.
>>
>>16645695
Kinda have to when they don't advertise their products
>>
>>16645695
To be fair who doesn't shill NYT Bestseller status the moment they get their first #1?

Incidentally the copy I have doesn't brand its front cover with it, instead just chucking it in with the backside advertisement blurb.
>>
>>16644637
It was done purposely and is used effectively and it's Little Horus never just Horus so in practice it's not the same name but it's still a bad idea that they big it before the story.
>>
>>16644637
Just gotta call him Aximand
>>
There are two Ajaxes in the Illiad.
There are two Horuses in the HH.

What's the big problem?
>>
>>16644241
There is some magic in Heinlein's writing which made me read a book that was
>training montage most of the part
>one guy basically lecturing other about the political system of the setting and why it's just so good
>a bare minimum of 3 chapters of actual combat with the power armor
While on paper it sounds like recipe of a boring novel that could get messy in the hands of other but Heinlein made it a page turner.
>>
you don't really need much familiarity with 40K before reading the horus heresy
all I knew before I started reading HH was the memes about wh40k
>>
File: 1522378263447.png (188 KB, 489x702)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
>>16649570
The matter-of-fact, you-know-this-already way rico addresses the reader is fantastic for drawing you in and world building. Really makes you feel like you're learning MI shit right along with him.
>>
>>16649682
True, but visualizing everything and uncerstanding the relative potency of weapons, armor, etc is easier if you know the game itself. And knowing the lore makes many things more meaningful/ah-ha moments
>>
>>16649570
>While on paper it sounds like recipe of a boring novel

That's less an issue with the contents of the story itself, and more to do with peoples' expectations of it, especially after the movie. Doesn't help that some people oversell certain aspects of it as well.
>>
Are there any gundam books that are decent?
>>
>>16650158
I found the Tomino OYW novels a bit dry but enjoyable enough reads.
Somebody's brought up a decent argument about how Amuro starting out already in the military shifts the tone too much for his tastes but it still works for me.
>>
>>16650142
I always find it funny that the movie had a co-ed shower scene when the novel never leaves any opportunity on emphasizing the strict segregation between the sexes in the armed forces.
>>
>>16643446
I have read Solaris. What are his other worth reading books?
>>
>>16652246
You'll get a hundred different answers, and they'll all be correct. You can't really go wrong with Lem. The Cyberiad is probably his most "/m/" work. Read Memoirs In A Bathtub if you want utter mindfuckey. His Master's Voice is a pretty good "realistic" take on how secret super science projects would go down, although its fairly dry specifically because of that.
>>
>>16643438
I love the whole "sci-fi setting masquerading as a fantasy setting" thing that it did and wish I knew of more novels or series that did that.
>>
>>16650142
>>16652240
I'm really glad I first read it before any film media of it was produced (Daicon III excepted).

>>16652968
Try out David Drake's Northworld Trilogy for the inverse of that (Norse mythology masquerading as a SF setting). He also dropped in the Odyssey & the Golden Fleece myths in his Hammer's Slammers setting.
>>
File: 1515359500543.jpg (93 KB, 363x600)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>
>>16652246

Try The Futurological Congress and Star Diaries for humor.
>>
>>16652968

Zelazny's Lord of Light sort of fits. Also Jack Vance's Kugel novels. Also you might want to check Moorcock's End of Time series, it's basically about super advanced civilization cosplaying whatever stuff they like.
>>
>>16637500

I couldn't help but find it kinda shallow.
>>
>>16652246
All of them. But Fiasco has a really nice scene featuring giant robot. Read “Tales of Pirx the Pilot” beforehand, though.
>>
>>16637420
the horus heresy is a good way to get into WH40k lore, but it wouldn't hurt to get a general understanding the world abit via wikis or youtube videos.
>>
File: Warrior K-Bug.png (1.23 MB, 1206x784)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>16644241
Stupid question I have is how much the film's art direction, mainly the bug design (which you have to admit has overwhelmingly influenced how the world of Starship Troopers is perceived by the masses), is in any way compatible with the book's narrative.

I'd be lying if I said I don't absolutely love the walking scissors Warrior.
>>
>>16658651
The bugs in the novel were described as ant-like in their behavior and spider-like in appearance if I recall correctly, so the movie was somewhat accurate in that regard. Although the book also described worker and warrior castes, which the movie didn't go into. The movie also completely cut out a secondary alien race.
>>
>>16658251

I know I read Lord of Light, but honestly the only thing I remember about it is finding out that Zelazny admitted to writing the whole thing just so he could use a pun. The pun in question being the fit hit the Shan. It' such a silly reason to write a whole novel, but that's why I loved it. The novel itself is obviously forgettable, at least for me.
>>
>>16659352

I did like the Megaten-ish vibe, with people on a spaceship who began pretending to be gods of old. And the fact that the MC is kinda cool despite being such fake god himself.
>>
>>16658651
>>16659114
couldn't the bugs could also use weapons? it's been a long time since I read it.
>>
>>16659987

Pretty sure all their weapons were organic ones like in the film, spitting or farting up huge blasts that could hit orbit and so on.
>>
>>16658227
I have a bunch of these, all bought over the years from used-book bargain bins.
>>
>>16661232
I love Retief, action diplomat.
>>
>>16659987
They have developed laser beam guns, missile weaponry, advanced spacecraft, planet colonization, and other advanced technology. They bring rifles into battle and shoot back. They are not the giant, savage animals of the movies. Also it's not clear if their weapons and technology are organic.
>>
>>16662090

Well now, I'm going to have to check a few of those books out. Only a few weeks ago I was listening to some interviews with a reporter called Ronan Farrow about the US Diplomatic Corps and he actually made the job sound really interesting so I was thinking afterwards about how I'd love to see some sci-fi rendition of diplomatic officers at work. The wiki article on Retief makes the books sound like maybe there'll be more of a comedy focus than I'd like but I'll have to give it a shot regardless.
>>
>>16662786

Actually, a further question on this: which stories or books are good? It seems like there's no real intended order and the stories are all just whatever and whenever the author felt like writing about at any given time, so books skip back and forth through Retief's life as and when they please and Amazon lists a lot of compilation books so I've no idea which ones to order to get a good taste.
>>
>>16652968
CJ Cherryh's Morgaine books
CS Friedman's Coldfire trilogy
Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire books
Anne McCaffrey's Pern books
Jack Vance's Dying Earth books and Gene Wolfe's Solar Cycle books
Janny Wurts' Cycle of Fire trilogy and Wars of Light and Shadow series
And of course Zelazny's Lord of Light

Those are all the ones off the top of my head.
>>
>>16662786
>>16662855
It's hard to say, as I haven't read them in years. The stories are generally very tongue-in-cheek, with Retief screwing up the USSR/Groaci while the US/CDT screws itself over, usually to the benefit of the little guys caught in between.

Your best bet would probably be Retief! (2002) since it collects a lot of the stories into one thick volume.
>>
File: 1395810467600.jpg (86 KB, 479x491)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>
>>16665000

Thanks. I've added to my basket on Amazon for the next time I put in an order. Any recommendations on Bolo books by the way. Is Laumer's stuff worth a read, or would I be better off reading later stuff by other authors?
>>
>>16667242
Compleat Bolo has all the Bolo stories that Laumer wrote. It sets the tone for all the other Bolo stories, and in my opinion's still very readable & pretty relevant, given all the concerns about A.I. nowadays.

I can't really say for works by other authors, as I've only read Laumer & the one novel by Weber.
>>
File: ast10_39.jpg (177 KB, 699x984)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Why did everyone forget about Lensman?
>>
>>16670880

Because E.E.Smith's estate seems to want to bury the property and the books are out of print and hard to get as well as there being no other media based on it beyond an old anime that's also impossible to get. The difficulty in finding it means most people don't know about it anymore.
>>
>>16670953
Well, if you're in Madison Wisconsin the Half-Price Books of Whitney Way has a near complete set.
>>
>>16670953
>>16671491
Speaking of which, this thread over at /t/ should be of use to some of the posters here:

>>>/t/805598
>>
>>16671596
THIS
IS
RELEVANT
TO
MY
INTERESTS
>>
File: yukikaze weg.png (553 KB, 1008x403)
553 KB
553 KB PNG
Can we ask 2ch or any similar board what happens in The Unbroken Arrow?
I am that desperate.
>>
>>
>>16643438
I've been wanting to get into Wolfe lately. Where should I start with him? Just so you know my tastes, I like Harlan Ellison.
>>
File: 1431922954147.jpg (99 KB, 500x448)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>16674296
To be completely honest I've only really read the Book of the New Sun by him so far. So I guess start with Shadow of the Torturer then.
>>
>>16672238
I tried to do some digging but got nothing
>>
>>16674296
Try out the Fifth Head of Cerberus.
>>
>>
Sassinak by Anne McCaffery.
The Bolo series by various authors.
The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Hamilton has some interesting ship-to-ship battles. Also gotta love a WMD called Nuetronium Alchemist.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.