[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

GUYS guys gyus, have you ever seen the previous generations of my little pony??
it actually looks like some lame cartoon FOR GIRLS, can you believe it?
what the FUCK right????
>>
File: midnight castle.gif (876 KB, 250x190)
876 KB
876 KB GIF
I dunno, looked pretty metal to me.
>>
>>31660292
>>31660373

The pilot TV special is actually really funny because it can't decide if it wants to go for the frilly froo froo girly girl demographic or the Dungeons n Dragons scary monster hellbeast demographic, so it tries to appeal to both simultaneously. It's the best visual representation of "juxtaposition" I've ever seen and it's fuckin great.

Everything after that is unwatchable for me, though. Was never even able to finish the 80s movie.
>>
File: animated_g1.gif (602 KB, 355x270)
602 KB
602 KB GIF
>>
File: dis nig srs.gif (3.05 MB, 504x335)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB GIF
>>31660292
You're talking to someone who's seen every minute of Gen 3.

You guys don't know how bad it can really be.
I see people trying to compare the show as it is now to G3, or saying G5 will be like G3. No...no. Sheer arrogance.
Now I'm going to say something that might really rock your world: The 1st season of FiM is the most like G3.
>>
>>31660292
I know, right, pony bro?!
>>
>>31660608
>The 1st season of FiM is the most like G3.

I believe it.
>>
>>31660608
Why did you watch it?
>>
>>31660660
-To see an alternate form of pone
-To see the origins of G4
-To find reaction images
-To see if anything about it was salvageable
-To see how bad it could really get

Or maybe it was just to say I did it.
>>
>>31660685
I like that gif
Can I save it?
>>
>>31660697
Save it, it's all yours my friend :)
>>
>>31660608
In what ways? I'm not doubting it, just curious.
>>
>>31660292
That was the shock of G4. Tuning in to watch Lauren Faust, someone we respected whore herself out to a franchise no one respected, ever. Morbid curiosity over just how much of a trainwreck it was going to be got us watching. But going in with this mentality meant our guard was down, and when it was actually good we were defenseless against being sucked in.

The analogy I'd make would be being at a music festival where some terrible artist you hated from the 80's is playing. Like Tiffany or Debbie Gibson. You catch their show as a goof. But it turns out they have a great band featuring some musicians who played in other bands you actually like, the new album they're supporting is actually pretty good and their live show is amazing. You'd be really caught off guard.
>>
File: laughing whores.png (100 KB, 356x236)
100 KB
100 KB PNG
>>31660727
It's the girliest season. Sleepovers, make-overs, tea parties, dresses, jewelry, dances, dreams of marrying a prince (admittedly, Rarity is responsible for half these things). The difference is in the execution, which FiM handles much better.

Season 1, except for maybe Season 3, is also the season where they mostly stick to Ponyville for the majority of episodes. This was the same in G3—aside from Unicornia, Butterfly Island, and the North Pole, most of the events in G3 stuck to Ponyville and its immediate surrounding countryside until Twinkle Wish Adventure, when they went hot ballooning across the land to the dragon's cave. By the way, whenever you see people mentioning G3.5 as the lowest point in the brand's history, know that they're most likely talking about the Newborn Cuties shorts, which I call G3.75. How you feel about the big head, small body redesign of the Core 7 era is up to you, but I'd say Twinkle Wish Adventure is easily the best of the G3 movies and specials, unless you're a big fan of Wysteria (The Princess Promenade) or Minty (A Very Minty Christmas).

An additional minor detail, Faust was shown The Princess Promenade by Lisa Licht, General Manager of Hasbro Studios at the time, when she brought her Galaxy Girls show pitch in, so that was when she was most likely to mix the influences of G3 with her own personal pony imaginings. Some things you may or may not already know that G3 gave to G4:
-Butt pictures being called "cutie marks"
-Ponyville
-Breezies
-Having a small central cast of characters with differing personality traits to market (Core 7 → Mane 6)
-Certain character names and personality traits (albeit many of these were switched around)
And a whole slew of voice actors that returned for G4.
>>
I wish MLP was still viewed the same way as shit like Care Bears: as harmless nostalgia junk
>>31660858
Original G1 was the only time MLP had mostly Hollywood-based voice talent. Everything after that has the same Vancouver VAs you see in most low expectation cartoons.
>>
>>31660373
>>31660379
This, Rescue at Midnight Castle is great.
Shoo be doo motherfuckers.
>>
>>31660858
I agree with ya there. Well aside from the thing about Minty.
>>
>>31660858
>Newborn Cuties shorts, which I call G3.75
Newborn Cuties is G3.5 you retard
>>
>>31661025
And Tales is G1, what's your point?
>>
File: Vintage plot.png (631 KB, 720x540)
631 KB
631 KB PNG
>>31660292
I watched all the previous gens.
The G1 movie, its ten-parter sequel and g 3.5 were kinda bad, the rest was nice. Some episodes of G1 were really good, and G3 wasn't bad either.
Best G1 pony is Wind Whistler and best G3 pony is Minty.
>>
>>31661025
Did you not pick up on my awareness of this? The keywords are "which I call", the previous portion of the sentence should have clued you in that I know it's considered part of G3.5.

Unless you're telling me you think Newborn Cuties is what defines G3.5, in which case you're wrong. G3.5 was by and large pic related.
>>
>>31660292
Man I thought this was going to be a let's watch.

Fag.
>>
>>31661078
All this. Excellent taste in prior gen pones, anon.
>>
File: NES-Box.jpg (30 KB, 400x267)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>31660292
Like >>31660732 said, many people went into FiM expecting more of the same hyper-saccharine tripe, but then were surprised to discover it was actually watchable. And thus, a fandom was born.

I'm reminded of how the NES was initially marketed in the US. You have to remember, the Crash of '83 was still in full swing, and the words "video game console" would cause people to cringe just by being said, mostly thanks to Atari. Then along comes this upstart Japanese company known for that smash hit arcade game with the gorilla and the jumping fellow in red. They start promoting this weird VCR-looking thing that came with a robot and some tops at Toys 'R' Us and KB Toys, and next thing you know, people were buying video game consoles again because the NES's games were (for the most part) actually good, not the endless shovelware the 2600 was known for.

tl;dr A little talent goes a long way.
>>
File: whistler stomp.gif (1.14 MB, 480x356)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB GIF
Wind Whistler was my favorite oldhors.
>shut your cunt mouth i do have feelings!
>>
File: 1441534472190-2.gif (597 KB, 448x360)
597 KB
597 KB GIF
>>31661590
>>
>>31661656
>i do....
>>
>>31660292

I'd still fuck those horse vags.
>>
File: MARECUM.png (227 KB, 657x533)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
>>31661696
>"SNIFF MY HOOF, PL0X"
>>
>>31660292
https://youtu.be/xaQ7F58pK2g
Gen 1 of this franchise had an identity crisis.
>>
>>31661932
If anything generation 4 is a lot less girly but is also a lot less metal.
>>
>>31661932
To say the least. It's schizophrenic. Like someone on the team was hell bent on a Tolkien thing when everybody else knew they were supposed to be doing tea parties.
>>
>>31661959
Whoever that person was deserves a small loan of a million dollars
>>
Even if she's no longer involved, Faust is the main reason G4 feels more hypocritical than the rest. G3.5 never had things go so insultingly backwards
>>
>>31662045
Exactly. He was probably the boss' son or nephew or something like that. How else could that have happened?
>>
>>31662053
>G4 feels more hypocritical
The word you're looking for is watchable.
>>
>>31662065
G1 is watchable. And the comics are more metal. I mean fuck, Applejack straight up kills a guy. Even tales has some good episodes.
>>
>>31662459
Cadence kills a guy in Season 3. Your point?
>>
>>31660608
>You guys don't know how bad it can really be.
HOW BA-A-A-AD CAN IT BE!?
>>
>>31662705
The bumbling no power earth pony, whose whole character to that point has been nothing but klutz and APPULS! killed a guy.
>>
Who wants to read my research on G1 writers?

Marvel Productions (not to be confused with the comic company) did development for both the Dungeons and Dragons and the MLP G1 series. 14/64 of G1's episodes were written by Michael Reaves, who also wrote 7/27 of the D&D cartoon's eps. Those eps also tend to feel more like D&D, like "Return of Tambelon" and "Flight to Cloud Castle."

George Arthur Bloom is he most significant writer for G1. He wrote all the specials that predated the TV series ("Midnight Castle," "Escape From Catrina," the movie) and 18/65 episodes (4 of which are abridged versions of the specials). He also did a few eps for the Conan cartoon, but most of his credits are just 1-2 eps for live action, and he did half the eps for My Little Pony Tales, so his quality and style are inconsistant. Maybe Hasbro told him to tone it down.

The next most common writer was David Wise, who did 8 eps, so between those three writers you have two thirds of G1. I've never seen his eps because they're all on the back half of the show, but he worked on over 100 eps of the TMNT cartoon, wrote a few eps of Batman: TAS, and wrote Beastmaster III, so sounds like a cool guy. He became CEO of a manga company in the aughts that has since shut down, and doesn't seem to have done much since.

The other writers for G1 are a lot more scattered, but I checked in on some of my favorite eps.
"Crunch the Rockdog" was written by Linda Woolverton, the only eps she wrote. The quality of the ep makes since when I look at her other credits, which include Real Ghostbusters and Rescue Rangers at the time, before she moved on to Disney to do things like write 1991's Beauty & the Beast and asisst with Lion King's script, and she's been writing some of the live action Disney films lately.

The only other ep I disitnctly remember is "Bright Lights" by Barbara Petty, but unfortunately she seems to have only done one episode each for a handful of cartoons before disappearing in the 90's.
>>
File: 1514076458057.gif (197 KB, 646x540)
197 KB
197 KB GIF
>>31662825
God bless you, Anon
>>
File: 1509690963111.gif (477 KB, 320x240)
477 KB
477 KB GIF
Girls.. what do they know.
>>
>>31665429
Applejack is licking..... Moot?
>>
>>31661079
G3.5 is where they look like made of rubber, right?
where they move like horses or stand and sit like humans

or am I mixing it with G2?
>>
>>31668585
G3.5 is what’s in the image you replied to. The SD chibi ponies.
G2 technically didn’t have a cartoon, but G1 got two, “MLP ‘n’ Friends” and “My Little Pony Tales,” which shared a lot of staff and style, but the first is high fantasy while the latter is just a normal high school girl cartoon set with modern technology, but with ponies instead of humans.

Regular G3 looks similar, but a bit more animated, with colored outlines, and color saturation cranked way up.
>>
Thanks for the quality thread, lads.
>>
>>31660292
G1 is fantastic
>>
File: just practicing.gif (828 KB, 250x167)
828 KB
828 KB GIF
This thread actually inspired me to go through a few more G1 eps. Still only seen about half of it, most of G3, and none of MLP Tales. To my surprise, while I only remembered the adventure eps of G1 from being a kid, watching it now, I like the few slice of lives I've seen more ("Sweet Stuff and the Treasure Hunt" and "Little Piece of Magic"). I think it may be because the adventure eps tend to be so long (mostly 4 parters, with a 10 parter that's actually the worst starting the series), and overly complicated. For instance, "The Ghost of Paradise Estate" opens with an ep about a ghost haunting baby ponies, but then it turns out that the ghost is a shape-shifting bird trying to lure everyone out of their house so she can destroy it to get an amulet to give to a Squid that lived in the valley centuries ago when it was underwater, because the Squid kidnapped her grandfather that shattered mis magic necklace years ago, then the squid gets the necklace back and floods the valley but they steal it back and use it to rebuild their house and send him away, then get rid of him again. That may sound cool on paper, and most of the eps do, but in execution they just feel rushed and disjointed. I feel a little bad for the writers. Hearing Frank Welker in his Megatron voice singing a song for an ep had me laughing a lot, though. In contrast, all the one-shot eps have simple plots that move at a brisk pace, the the SoL eps tend to be more character-focused, while the adventure eps have had virtually no character devleopment for anyone other than the characters that only exist in the specific plot arc.
>>
>>31660292
>tfw you watch an episode from each gen
>tfw you watch SHOO BE DOO for Gen 1
>tfw the Gen 2 I'm calling it Gen 2 even if it was considered part of the Gen 1 toyline episode you watch was about mistaking a hot air balloon full of alicorns with a UFO

>>31660608
Gen 3 was bad, but still kind of funny to watch. 3.5 was pure hell and I thank God they only made 7 minute long shorts for it.
>>
File: meg03.jpg (29 KB, 476x358)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>31660292
G1 had Megan at least.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.