[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Does anyone have a link where I could learn detailed color theory?
>>
>>32235181
>>>/ic/
>>
>>32235181

Rule 1: Don't mix colors like pic related
>>
>>32235181

Rule 2: If a source happens to mention that green is the opposite of red, or that purple is the opposite of yellow, close that thing immediately. They may still provide good information, but it is clear evidence that they don't fully understand color.

RYB is outdated, has no basis in reality. Many falsely think it's more suitable for paint work, because that's what they were taught. Even the show swears by RGB, if you pay close attention. Celestia, Luna and Twilight have yellow, cyan an magenta magical auras for example. Another one is that Chrysalis's design utelizes an evil green coloration. That's because it is the opposite of magenta; the opposite of friendship, love and compassion.
>>
>>32235783
>Rule 2
>Muh monitor colors
fuck off retard. its you who doesnt understand color.
>>
>>32235892
Okay. How about you explain my ignorance then, instead of A.) posting irrelevant information that doesn't prove or mean anything and B.) acting like putting information on a jpg somehow makes it true?

Tell me any reason why RYB has any basis in science over RGB AT ALL.
>>
>>32236178
"AT ALL"?
paint mixing
there you go
>>
>>32236178
>Tell me any reason why RYB has any basis in science over RGB AT ALL.
>science
Green is not a primary color.
>>
>>32236178
said jpeg I posted was from 2 people teaming up to make a big book of simple tips. They worked in Disney Studios and Dreamworks. its obvious they know more than you do, faggot. Where did you get this crap from, PK's coloring guides? It's the only time ive ever heard that same bs about classic coloring wheels be outdated. Purple Keckleon is a hack and her colors are awful. Who are you going to listen to, professionals like Griz and Norm or some tumblrite furry pedo.
>>
>>32236330
Nor is it very creative.
>>
>>32235181
Anon you have just opened the floodgates.

POST YOUR BACKGROUND PONIES EVERYONE.
>>
File: 1515080844702.png (329 KB, 1600x2226)
329 KB
329 KB PNG
>>32237405
>>
>>32236330
GREEN! What an awful, awful color
>>
>>32236190
Except no, RYB isn't optimal for paint and dye mixing. That's why we use CYMK for printers. We use RYB out of tradition only. It's less optimal than CYMK, and less optimal than RGB.
The world needs to update the way it teaches color in school.

>>32236330
Can't argue with that.

>>32236990
I'm sorry but just because they're professional artists does not mean they understand the optical science of color. They care about the LOOK of color design. They don't give a damn about the physics behind it. And the truth is that RYB and RGB are so close to being the same, that it makes little visual difference at all. But it's still WRONG to use it damnit, and there's no reason to continue doing so other than that people are stubborn.

Just because a ton of professional artists use RYB, because that's what they've always been told to use, does not mean they have been taught correctly. Newton took his best guess as to what the three primary colors were, and he was very close. He didn't have the tools we have today to fully figure it out.
>>
>>32237500
Colored light and physical color are two different things. For example, when you physically mix all the colors, you get black. When you mix all the colors in light, you get white. That's why they have different color wheels. Primary colors are labeled as such because you can't mix two other colors to get them.
>>
>>32237558
But in ink/paint (subtractive color mixing) you *can* generate Red and Blue (two of the 3 "primary" colors) by mixing various amount of cyan, magenta, and yellow.
>>
>>32237500
I guess youve never stepped outside of your basement because nature already has a RYB color schemes right in your face everywhere on the planet.
Pic related: red/green complement

Abandonment of the RYB model for RGB only is how we get uncreative overused trash like Cyan/Orange fucking everywhere in entertainment media. The only reason people like PK swear by RGB is because that's what most digital paint programs have lazily built in and it takes 3rd party plugins to use the RYB model. It's entirely biased on because they use it, it must be good.

When someone like you says RYB has no value, its the easiest way to tell that you're a beginner and you dont know shit. So next time before you start spitting out psuedo intellect talking about science like muh optimal colors you should go educate yourself before looking like a total fucking dumb ass. RYB color theory comes directly from observing nature for hundreds of years, and deriving them from natural pigments. It's never going to be "out dated" you mong.
>>
>>32237500
>RYB isn't optimal for paint and dye mixing. That's why we use CYMK for printers. We use RYB out of tradition only. It's less optimal than CYMK, and less optimal than RGB.
Ok, since you aren't suggesting the superiority of cymk,
tell me how, with paint of red, green, and blue, how can one mix color in order to obtain yellow? Just give me a vague set of percentages for mixing.
>>
LAB is best. You're all faggots.
>>
>>32235181
Colour theory is hard. You can look at the sites and the study references all you want, but you'll want to also follow that up with dipping into it yourself and developing your sense of what looks good.

Spend some time making up colour schemes, or colouring things yourself, and note what you think works well or not-so-well about 'em. Looking at places where designers argue about and give criticism on colours/designs can be pretty useful for helping develop it as well. Good luck!
>>
>>32235692
Disgusting.
>>
Poor Anon just wanted to learn colour theory for prettier pictures.
>>
>>32235181
>>32239419
>>32239565
Color theory is a meme anyways. You guys do know there's actual study about how color and light works that's not nearly as convoluted as art "schools" like to tell you, right?
>>
>>32239708
yeh. if it looks good, fuck the theory
>>
>>32239708
>>32239712
Maybe it's because it's a field exclusive to making appealing and close to life visuals and is unrelated to basic physics, you fucking brailets. There is a difference in knowing how to paint and how paint is made
>>
>>32239712
This. ^^^^^ You can try to follow rules but the truth is that beauty is subjective.
>>
Color theory is a basic "what looks good together" guideline. It's no rocket science you autists.
>>
>>32239921
Beauty is subjective, but making art like is being discussed in this thread is appealing to a majority
>>
>>32235181
Look at the mane six and see how it applies to color theory.

Thats what I did.
>>
>>32239712
No, that’s what 5 year olds think.

Did you know all the mane six apply to color theory?
>>
>>32239712
>>32239921
>t. Deviantart kids
>>
>>32239972
He says "fuck the theory" without realizing that if it looks good, it is in line with the theory.
>>
>>32239708
>Study on human conscious visual processing and physical properties of light are equivalents/opposites
This the kind of post that reddit would upvote
>>
>>32239983
>without realizing
mate I realize it fine, the point is that you can approach it from the practical side first and then pick up the theory side as you go. you wanna make stuff that looks nice? you can fuck around making awful-coloured images over a fair while, getting the practical sense of colours and what works down without giving too much of a shit about the theory until you want to or you find it more useful to approach it from that angle

desu autistic discussions about whether RGB, RYB, or CYMK is the best way to approach colours might not convince people to keep digging further into theory when they're first looking at colours. getting some practical experience (and practical fuckups) can be an easier way into it
>>
>>32240018
Ok, but if we were gonna go for "just do it" (which seems valid to me) than we wouldn't really need a "link where (OP) could learn detailed color theory," would we?

Really though, op is probably long gone, so we are basically just making cases for what format of thinking about color is most effective/valid at this point so that WE can benefit from all the information being slung about.

So, by all means, someone go ahead and describe and argue for their favored format.
>>
>>32240018
I'm not a part of the autism discussions. Take color theory for what it is - a color wheel where some colors good, other bad. You don't need to grasp any more of it, use it as a guideline when you're not sure what colors to use.
>>
>>32236190
cyan magenta and yellow are definitely the primary colors of subtractive light. I. E. Paint mixing.

>>32238078
Cyan Magenta and Yellow are derived from RGB, being the secondary colors. You can make anything by mixing THOSE dyes, not RGB.
>>
File: 1510700155379.gif (877 KB, 600x497)
877 KB
877 KB GIF
COLOR FIGHT
COLOR FIGHT
COLOR FIGHT
>>
I have no idea what the hell is going on in this thread... but I love it.
>>
>>32239708
>>32239712
>>32239921
>When you are such a brainlet you call everything you dont understand a meme
>>
>>32235181

I took a class specifically on color theory. It basically just explained where your eye is going to go based on color. Its about saturation, contrast, and how colors effect other colors around them. So essentially intuition
>>
File: Science hell.jpg (165 KB, 960x645)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
Y'know what, I'm going even going to.

ITT: pic related
>>
>>32236330
Green isn't her color.
>>
>>32239135
LUV is superior. Fite me.
>>
>>32235692
Velvet a cute tho, and her colors make good contrast and therefore good enough.
>>
File: The_Dress.png (39 KB, 225x300)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>32242163
>>
>>32240018
>Fuck around making awful-coloured images until you stumble over something good
This is the retard approach, do you want to be a retard? Look no further than the majority of OCs to see how well this approach turns out. It's possible to be self taught and good at color, but thats true for everything and requires more than just fucking around. You won't get good at colors pulling them out of your ass, you'll get good at colors by copying from life or deconstructing uses of color in professional art.

People are lazy and stupid and unless you're super creative and disciplined then you will spit out the same color schemes over and over by habit. These days you have tumbrlites who purposefully make eyebleeding color schemes and never get any better no matter how many times they shit on the canvas because they're surrounded by enablers or theyre pissy snowflakes who will say how it's their "style"

The chances are far more likely you'll end up with creating sparkledogs for years without understanding even the basics about color theory first just "fucking around". And wouldnt you know it, there's a prime example in the drawthread
>>32241439
>>32241443
>>
>>32235181
Study the way light actually hits objects under different lighting schemes instead of "color theory." That color wheel pertains to mixing actually paints more than anything.
>>
>>32243930
This.
>>
>>32243930

Weird. I just noticed that the second picture looks better than the first, despite being the same horse. Anyone have an explanation for that?
>>>32241439
>>>32241443
>>
>>32244856
The only difference between 1 and 2 is that 2 has more blue showing. The retarded heterochromatic green eye is hidden in her wink and the tail is less eye jarring with less salmon pink showing. She's showing more orange-ish with the left side of the hair which can be complementary to her blue fur using the RYB model. see the OP pic >>32235181 or >>32236330 to see orange across from blue

It's still garbage overall, but it just goes to show you that you should keep your colors within control and its easy to lose that by adding too many colors without a clue what the fuck you're doing. Without color theory it will end up looking like shit.

This is why color theory is taught with courses, books and teachers. This is why color theory goes into depth more than just "hurr its just intuition". This is why you read a book on it, because a professional is giving you a guideline so you dont have to fuck around with awful colors ad nausem.

The faggot talking about the RGB color model because muh physics with light wont get any further than this sparkledog fag because he has zero grasp on how to use colors together.
>>
>>32245889
I appreciate your autistic passion.
>>
>>32242493
Surprised it took so long for someone to post this
>>
>>32245995
it was already in the screencap itself, its redundant to post it again.
>>
Imagine being as autistic about color theory as some people in this thread
>>
>>32235181
don't
its fake
>>
File: 458349573489534.jpg (490 KB, 2400x1350)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
>>32246044
>>32246052
>
>>
>>32235181
Inb4 some aspergers sas art is subjective and relative and what not
>>
Too much
>Understanding colour as a physical phenomenon and how to produce the colour you want literally makes you incapable of knowing what colours look good together and composition
in this thread.
RGB and CMY are the primary colours and the colours you mix to get all other colours. Orange and blue still look good together. I don't see why there is an argument here.
>>
>>32235181
Every other thread is garbage so I'm going to bump this.... which isn't any better. It's full of pseudo intellectual theorists. Like bumping a show discussion thread, but full of retarded headcanons and badly written opinions.
>>
>>32235181
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131581/lessons_in_color_theory_for_spyro_.php?print=1
>>
What is it with color that causes so much autism? See Twilight Sparkle and the mane dyeing threads.
>>
File: Color Theroy.jpg (342 KB, 1054x1600)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
I have these
>>
File: Color Theroy 2.png (739 KB, 1054x1600)
739 KB
739 KB PNG
>>32250497
>>
>>32250443
Delet this fucking post right now
>>
>>32235181
Honestly OP, the best course of action will just go /out/ and look at nature when it comes to color. Take out a sketchbook and some pastels and observe. Look what feels natural, but that is just my humble opinion.
>>
came across this recently - has some nice info in it if you can be bothered to read it. https://glitchedpuppet.deviantart.com/art/How-I-See-Color-A-Tutorial-184642625
>>
>>32236330
>Back when the writers and director cared
>>
>>32246373
This image pains me. Why was this made? What does it achieve?
>>
>>32251860
These were the original colors of the 'original' ponies
Penka was named surprise and dash was firefly, something something hasbro lost the rights and mom had to change their names and then decided to recolor them, as well as the others because they were ugly abominations made 30-40years ago

also you're new and a faggot, but that's okay
>>
>>32251860
>>32251914
It also shows how 25 years of progress in animation has changed peoples' expectations of color in cartoons. The G1 versions of the Mane Six had perfectly fine colors for a cartoon setting from 1985, but by 2010 their colors clash horribly with the modern setting.
>>
File: galactus.gif (56 KB, 260x592)
56 KB
56 KB GIF
>>32252054
Nah, I'm sorry Anon but Galactus has always been utter trash, even then

People didn't bitch back then because they had nothing else to compare it to, a bit like nuggets warmed up in the microwave would taste downright delicious to cavemen, until they taste homemade meals

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.