[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1503370122374.png (472 KB, 2500x2747)
472 KB
472 KB PNG
I have never been more disappointed in the difference in quality of a show from its beginning to now than MLP. Never.
>>
I feel the same way about this board
>>
>>33025778
True. The quality withered over time but the biggest cliff drop in quality was season 6 hands down. Though I've heard season 8 broke the record and was somehow worse. I just don't have the heart to watch my favorite ponies turn to trash in season 8 do I just rewatch 1-3 and 4 or 5 every once in a while. I also lurk on 4chan.
>>
>>33025778
I wouldn't say that quality is really the thing missing from mlp. The voiceacting and animation aren't much worse than they ever were and the stories are mostly coherent and some of it might even be good in a totally different and actually fitting context.

I'm not sure what you would call the thing that is wrong with it though, so maybe quality is the right word after all.
>>
>>33025778
Same, though mainly because this is the only long running show I've gotten into while it's still airing
>>
File: ack.png (187 KB, 431x346)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>33025820
What's happened to the show is that it's strayed so damn far from its roots that it is barely recognizable as the same show anymore, while the same characters that have been there from the beginning are still there. They don't seem like they fit the new state of the show, they seem like old relics of good times gone by that have been plopped into a new time and morphed somewhat.
I think it's unnerving to see the mane 6 in this newer meta of the show, the magic that those six ponies had back in the earlier seasons has completely departed and now they're stuck in a completely different time. True, most of season 7 and a select few episodes of season 8 haven't been that bad, and the newer characters in these later seasons do have some potential to have fun and interesting stories. But this show still keeps trying to do different things with the mane 6, whose character arcs are either already pretty much complete, or have been completely botched beyond repair and should simply be left to fade from recent memory.
>>
>>33025778
>doomposting
>>
File: peer-pressured.png (484 KB, 1000x1240)
484 KB
484 KB PNG
>>
File: hello hoof.png (188 KB, 381x383)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
The actual structure of the show has not changed since season 1. MLP has always been about complete idiots overreacting to petty problems, and that kind of silly premise wanes a lot after 8 seasons. Moreover, people are getting older, simple as that.

What has changed, however, is the ideals. Starting with the s6 premiere and making Twilight an active mentor (not like how she handled Shimmer), the show being to preach friendship as some kind of narrative or education system with the episodes focused around Twilight and Glimmer, and that friendship is some sort of cosmic thing that you either do or don't have. There was never some sort of murky in between phase where you just kind of have friends, and if you don't have friends, you're a monster. You have to be constantly be friends with one another, even if they're a shitty person. It kind of has some gross implications due to the Elements of Harmony, and it be read as simply a power move by Twilight, similar to Starlight's redemption being a power move. However, this was never something that was a glaring problem until we got the Friendship School in S8 To use an example, I think the episode The End in Friend was a prime example of this philosophy of the school failing. Friendships have very rocky bumps in the road and falling out between two people over differences is something that is totally natural in friendships. It was clear that Rarity and Dash had a lot of differences and didn't really hang out a lot, and that's okay. However, Twilight putting so much pressure on two different people to get along perfectly catalyzed their falling out, and the two were never given time to spend time apart and cool off, because Starlight (who sucks at her job btw) was also forced to listen to them. Rarity and Dash were never given time to actually think about what they said to each other and come to a natural conclusion on their own basis and then feel the need to apologize. Instead, they were simply forced to make up.
>>
File: h45h45h54h.jpg (50 KB, 465x480)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>33025910
Another problem is MLP has this weird thing where you're forced to make amends with people who have wronged you in the past or the present. This is a lot more glaring, and I'll use the Parent Map as an example. Starlight and Sunburst were infantilized and embarassed by their parents big time and after their outburst, they really had no reason to make amends with Stellar Flare and Firelight, because they didn't do anything wrong. Parental Glideance is another one; Dash did nothing wrong and her outburst was justified, but she was expected to apologize to her parents over nothing. A Matter of Principals painted Spike as an enabler to Discord's abusive behavior towards others and validated his feelings for throwing a histrionic tantrum, and Newbie Dash stated that you should accept tormenting nicknames and get over your childhood trauma like it's nothing. This list honestly just goes on and on, and MLP handles these topics with the grace of a down-syndrome elephant in a nuclear power plant. This is kind of different from traditional redemptions, like Starlight, because characters like Sunset and Starlight actually had to endure to reach where they are today.
>>
>>33025912
>>33025910
Mostly agree with this. I think it becomes most obvious that Friendship has been transformed from just something that Twilight needed to learn personally in order to become a complete mare into the Force most notably in S8, wherein you have to actually make a SCHOOL to TEACH friendship. That thing they said in the very first episode that 'you can't read about in a book'. Friendship stopped being something to be experienced/felt naturally through bonds with others and suddenly becomes this all-encompassing philosophy where all your problems stem from not having it and therefore we need to force it upon everyone we can because if you don't, life is apparently terrible for the sole purpose of you not having a social life.

And god help you if you don't accept it. Nearly destroy Equestria twice or even three times over? You're instantly forgiven and free of all crimes if you accept Friendship. Deny it after one bad episode? You literally get sent to Hell.
>>
>>33025937
>I think it becomes most obvious that Friendship has been transformed from just something that Twilight needed to learn personally in order to become a complete mare into the Force most notably in S8, wherein you have to actually make a SCHOOL to TEACH friendship.
The sucky thing is that would've been a great flaw for Twilight if it were addressed. Time and time again, Twilight has proved to be a self-absorbed teacher as early as No Second Prances, but rarely does she actually face the consequences for her actions. I had a sliver of hope that Neighsay's sentiments, bar the poorly written and forced-in racism, would actually be correct, and this catastrophe would be a huge lesson for Princess Purple on trying to analyze personal interactions and relationships as a science but NOPE.
>>
>>33025910
>You have to be constantly be friends with one another, even if they're a shitty person. It kind of has some gross implications due to the Elements of Harmony, and it be read as simply a power move by Twilight
holy fuck i never realized this
>>
>>33025962
Sans the racism which was clearly set up to straw-man the fuck out of Neighsay into being the bad guy despite having a legit point, Neighsay was literally correct in pointing out Twilight and her teachers were incompetent. And this shows itself time and time again throughout the season.

Instead of facing up to legit criticisms she just decides to say 'fuck the system' and enforce her own way of thinking anyhow. Wouldn't it have made a better story for Twilight to recognize her blatant nepotism in assigning these tasks to her friends, and instead of forcing them into a role they weren't meant for find *new* teachers to take up the school so that way they can keep up with their normal jobs? Maybe even bring in some old characters we haven't seen in a while that have taken the Mane 6's lessons to heart over the years and find themselves in a much better position to teach?
>>
>>33025989
It would, but after the school episodes Dubuc has wrote this season, I don't think she is took keen on learning to be a competent writer. The only school episodes I enjoyed were the two that focused on Starswirl and Rockhoof, and they missed a golden opportunity to make the two of them, and the rest of the Pillars, to be teachers there.
>>
>>33025937
well if friendship was as forced in equestria as it was in real life, i wouldnt be on this board, and i wouldnt be sleeping with a princess luna plush now would i
>>
>>33026019
ha betafag
no one will ever love you
>>
>>33025807
I hated season 6 with all my soul, and I unironically believe that season 8 is much worse. Josh Haber was a really shitty story editor, I legitimately hoped that a season with someone co-editing the season with him wouldn't be so bad, but Nicole Dubuc is awful. You can tell from her episodes that she doesn't understand what the show was about.
Haber was a bad story editor who didn't give a fuck about the newfag writers who were writing shit, but I do believe that Dubuc is taking those shitty scripts now and editing them into even worse crap. It's so fucking depressing.
>>
>>33025778
Oh please, it happens to many shows and even worse.
>>
>>33025778
I usually stomach through it but I haven't gotten past 3 episodes of season 8. I literally just can't bare it anymore. It's so bad it's painful to watch. It's like the writers are just smering shit on paper and calling it a day
>>
>>33026119
>s8 so bad to watch that im going through it slow, like 1 episode every 3 weeks
>finished watching daring dont
>rainbow gets kidnapped by thieves, saved by daring do and pinkie pie thieves escape, the end of episode
>that's pretty much it
no real threat, no punishment, literally watched it yesterday and i dont remember anything after that. i wanted to cringe so bad but couldnt for some reason. it just wasnt good
>>
>>33025778
What is missing from it is trying to make it a good show instead of just SELL TOYS GAIN VIEWS MONEY MONEY MONEY
>>
>>33025841
What actually happened is what most shows that have been on the air for a long while go through, most of it's original writers and/or directors move on to newer projects and thus newer people that come on board tend to pull the show in a different direction or they simply run out of interesting stories to tell.

Personally I think and I know I'm probably going to get a lot of (you)s for this but losing Faust (and Rob for that matter) early on really hurt this show potential develop in a more meaningful way than what we got, maybe when G5 comes around we might get something better but I'm not holding my breath anymore.
>>
>>33025778
>I can't handle change, the thread.
I'm not saying post season 3-4 seasons are by any means perfect, but they're not the steaming fetid piles of shit everyone makes them out to be.
>>
>>33025807
i liked the young 6, season 8 had some pretty good episodes.
>>
File: 1840107.png (637 KB, 1280x1080)
637 KB
637 KB PNG
>>33026317
>the best-received episode in season 7 was about two ponies that we had never seen before
>the best-received episode in season 8 was about a new race of ponies that we had never seen before
>"lol u guise hate le change :DD"
Maybe people don't hate change or new stuff. Maybe what people hate is cancerous writing.
>>
>>33026212
i know its a corporation, but what incentive do you have to take your time and write a good story when you have to worry about paying bills, rent, food, clothes, etc, and you get shit pay for the work you do anyways?
>>
File: 1483852561311.png (140 KB, 400x413)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>33026317
your problem is that for some ungodly reason you're setting S3&4 apart from everything else afterwards when they should all be shoved into one large cancerous pile.
>>
>>33025912
>Starlight and Sunburst were infantilized and embarassed by their parents big time and after their outburst, they really had no reason to make amends with Stellar Flare and Firelight, because they didn't do anything wrong. Parental Glideance is another one; Dash did nothing wrong and her outburst was justified, but she was expected to apologize to her parents over nothing.
You really need to grow up.
>>
Season 7 was great though.
>>
>>33026325
I'm mostly indifferent toward the young 6. Their main crime is that they take precious screentime away from the characters that earned my attention. They're like the early CMC in that regard; the difference being that the CMC have had time to come into their own. With one season left, I don't think the young 6 have that luxury.
>>
>>33025778
You aren't the only one.
Even after the horrendous treatment of the show it still is better than capeshit.
>>
>>33025778
the dialogue and overall pace is too fast like everything targeted at todays kids. the earlier season episodes had so much more time to breathe
>>
>>33025851
NONONONONONONNONONONON
>>
>>33028372
>watch daring dont
>rainbow gets kidnapped by thieves to lure daring do
>friends save her
>thieves escape
>the end
that was awful
>>
>>33025778
I wish I could say the same, but Supernatural exists.
>>
>>33028575
compare the pacing of feeling pinkie keen to any S8 episode. every scene flows into the next one with a purpose. but recently the episodes are so busy with so much of the dialogue being one line quips or references that its jarring and immersion breaking

and immersing myself in equestria is the whole reason i watch
>>
>>33025910
>>33025912
>wise spikeposter is back
based and redpilled
>>
File: some nigger.jpg (25 KB, 655x368)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>33028608
>>
Cozy Glow is literally Eurus Holmes.
>>
>>33028617
desu theyre just gonna shit them out until s9 is finished
>>
Relevant.
>>
>>33029044
Fuck you Danny.
>>
>>33029044
>>33029644
See, he saw into the future, but he didn't say WHICH future--

having multiple possible timelines is a bitch when you're psychic, you never know which one is going to be the correct one, butterfly effect and all that.
>>
>>33025912
>>33025910
Well said.
>>
Has anyone read the comics? are they any good? I wanna know that there is still good pony content out there even if its outside the show..
>>
File: twilight.jpg (13 KB, 253x199)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>33025778

I want Twilight Sparkle to die.
>>
>>33029986
Like the show, there's some passable stuff and an occasional good issue, but the majority fall into meh or absolute dumpsterfire tiers.
>>
>>33026330
>Maybe what people hate is cancerous writing
Shit writing is shit. What else is new? We still get great episodes like your pic related.
>>
>>33030564
>We still get great episodes like your pic related.
But that's kinda the point. When we have great episodes, people celebrate them. When people say that the show is getting worse, you can't just pretend that it's because "/mlp/ hates everything" or whatever, because that's simply not true. Episodes like Sounds of Silence prove that most people's expectations aren't unreasonably high an can actually be met.
OP said
>I have never been more disappointed in the difference in quality of a show from its beginning to now than MLP. Never.
And I totally agree. It doesn't mean that all the episodes are bad, it simply means that the shows quality has plummeted, the ratio really good episodes vs. really bad episodes is simply depressing now, and having good episodes once in a blue moon isn't enough to balance the increasing number of bad episodes.

To put it simple, saying that the show is disappointing isn't an attack to the (few) good episodes that we still get every now and then, it's the sad realization that now we only get good episodes every now and then.
>>
>>33030011
She will in the series finale.
>>
>>33025778
That's because you haven't seen The Walking Dead.
>>
season 7 was great
and then they suddenly intoduced the nu six and the episodes suddenly became retarded
>>
>>33025778
Feels like watching a completely different show. s1/s2 episodes feel like they have so much more shit going on as if they're longer
>>
File: winterforest.jpg (219 KB, 1920x1080)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
As someone who was there in Ponychan threads for seasons 1,2, and 3, I'm having a hard time really saying the show has fallen off a cliff in quality. People have been complaining about characterization, plot focus, power creep, morals -- everything mentioned in this thread and more as early as S103 with that dull, character-biased ticket plot. When Season 2 was airing, episodes like MMDW and Mmmystery were absolutely railed for their portrayal of the Mane 6 and the world, which made multiple people consider the whole season little more than an affront to the show. And look at what people say now about that season.
This consistency doesn't excuse atrocious episodes like Non-Complete Cause being made more recently, nor does it excuse the terrible implementation of the school into the characters' lives, but to act like post-S2 has been this great depression in the show's quality seems like a mistake.
>>
File: FyoAANWTddg.jpg (82 KB, 990x1024)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>33025778
Yeah, yeah, grass was greener, sun was brighter, ponies was more sexy. Yeah, yeah.
>>
>>33028372
The writers are fast mouth breathers.
>>
>>33025778
I know right? old mlp episodes were so much worse.
>>
Explain to me how later seasons are worse. I think if anything, the show has only gotten better.
>>
>>33029044
If he had integrity he would have walked away with most of the fandom, at the very latest on seeing what was planned for EQG.

>>33029986
Say what you will about Haber, Miller or Vogel; at least they haven't yet slandered the fandom by making up lies about being sent death threats.
>>
>>33025841
>>33025910
>>33026232
Oh my God so much copy pasta it's like you guys are pretending to be politicians and lawyers.

This isn't doom posting. These are a bunch of Hasdrones pretending to be faustbros to fit in.

You faggots have absolutely no knowledge of any cartoon show nor how to discuss any cartoon show.
You talk like a bunch of retards trying to fit in. It"s like this is Ponychan and Reddit.

All you need to know about the show is that S2-S8 have horrible plot executions. If you're not bothered by the genuinely autistic behaviour of the characters then you're either a redneck or an autists yourself.

>Stop insulting us!!
Stop talking like 14 year olds stealing generic pseudo-intellectual phrases to sound smart. You sound like a bunch of retards.
>>
>>33037392

S5 and S7 were better than S1. Fuck off Faustfag.
>>
>>33025778
You don't watch any other cartoons outside of horse show so stop acting like you know anything about the medium, you by-the-numbers writing autists.

>That's not true! I watch Adventure Time, Star Vs Forces of Evil, Steven Universe and I'm the idiot who enjoys Korra, Thundercats and Voltron and Boruto!!
Just so you know not to step on my figurative trap card, you self-sabotaging, redditors and YouTube dwellers.
>>
>>33037392
>It"s like this is Ponychan
I mean >>33033196.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.