[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 150 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Contend-3-Black-Gray.jpg (286 KB, 1687x1100)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
How harshly do people judge cyclists? I want to get a new bike but I'm afraid of being judged by the normies as being a loser for riding a bike instead of driving, keep in mind that I also live near a lot of the white trash southern type.
Il just be using it for a short commute and for fun rides occasionally. I think its a good investment because ill use the bike for a long time so I went with the contend. But there's also the straight-bar paddle shifter Escape 3 bike for half the price and looks a lot less like a spandextard bike.
Which should I buy?
Also bike buying general I guess so this thread isn't a total waste.
>>
File: Escape-3-Black-Gray.jpg (55 KB, 600x381)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
The other cheaper bike
>>
Is there such thing as a great touring bike in the $600-800 range? I've been eyeing the Kona Sutra but can't quite afford it for a while.
>>
Any Idea what this bike is worth? I think the side says Fleetwing on it.
>>
>>1102261
Youd want to get the giant rapid instead of the giant escape ...much better bike and it looks a lot better too
>>
>>1102264
Fuji Touring. Obviously!
>>
>>1102266
$50 if good condition. It's shit tier
>>
>>1102266
Fully tuned up with new tires, it would fetch about 160 in my area.
>>
>>1102261
Drops aren't only for spandextard morons. Go for it, it's better than the second choice.

>>1102264
No.

>>1102266
If it's your then put new bar tape and new tires, then you can sell it for 100€.
>>
>>1102261
>but I'm afraid of being judged by the normies as being a loser for riding a bike instead of driving
They will be mad because they will see you not spending money, being healthy and with a sile of your face while riding.

If you buy a road bike, always with drop bars, unless you are old or with extremely bad back problems. With drop bars your hands will have plenty of grip positions, and the most usual one (hoods) is more comfy than the flat bar position. But, half of the price sounds good since you can save that and purchase other cycling stuff with the rest, or leaving the money for a future greater new bike if you like the sport.

If you go for the budget route for saving for the future, you can also check used bikes, you can get good stuff for good prices.
>>
I have a question:

Camelbaks on road cycling. I know it's heresy for most of riders, but I know there are people using it for long distance riding.

The problem is I sweat a lot, my face always end covered with salt.( Each ride I can lose 1-1,5kg of liquid)
Aditionally , here gets too hot on summer 33ºc-35ºc. (around 100ºf) I don't have big problems on 60km-70km rides(37-43 miles), since many times I can get it with one or two bottles if the roads are good, but if I ride longer and the roads are bad, I end pushing more for longer and then the troubles begin. Today I did 90km and the last 30km were quite painful since I had just less than half of a bottle and ended the ride with just two sips of water I was saving for an emergency rest.

I was also thinking about doing really long rides on the future, maybe each week a 160km-180km ride and maybe going to some brevets since there's a club on the city which does several 200k-300k-600k on the first half of the year.

So my idea was buying a small camelblak 1,5L-2,5l for extra hydratation/tools/a little of food that I would probably need.

Any of you uses one or knows someone who uses it . Is it a reliable equipment?
>>
>>1102285
>>1102277
thanks for the advice.
Ill get the road bike and use saved money from no gas to upgrade it
>>
>>1102292
Getting enough water is more important than worry about being judged for needing water. Are you afraid that people will know that you require water to live?
>>
>>1102293
The best upgrades for a low tier (but nice) bike is probably the tyres since the stock ones are usually cheap, wear them and upgrade to good brand tyres. For commuting you should get 25mm tyres, and 28 if possible (not many road bikes can fit them). For 28mm tyres you can get some really durable tyres if you ride on bad asphalt and you can even ride dirt paths with them.

Another upgrades are clipless pedals if you spin fast of if the weather is rainy since witch clipless your feet can't slip.

A comfortable saddle is also a decent upgrade if your current one doesn't fit you, but you must be sure the new saddle will fit your ass.
>>
Are hybrid bikes in the $6-800 range worth buying or should I wait until I have at least $1000 to spend on a cyclocross? Right now I have a shitty city bike with a broken front brake and sketchy gears so anything I can buy is an upgrade.

I'm looking for something I can use for both fitness/commuting and on forest and gravel trails, and I'm debating if I should either get a cheapo mountainbike now and get a cyclocross later and repurpose the mountainbike to a winter/shitty weather bike when I get the cyclocross or get a decent hybrid now and get a mountain bike for shitty weather later.
>>
>>1102308
I would put all my money into just one 29er mtb, with rack mounts. Maybe you could get something like the salsa cowchipper handlebars for it, if they fit right. That would be a nice all rounder. The bike you have now could be used as a beater.

Suspect others will have strong opinions.
>>
>>1102312
Pardon me for being a retard, but a 29er means that the wheels are bigger than a 26er which means that it's faster on asphalt, right?

The tires on my current bike aren't fit for winter use and I don't have room to fit bigger tires on it. Getting the mountain bike now as an all rounder sounds like a good plan and I might pick up a road bike later but I don't really like the idea to be crippled if I need to cross rough terrain if I get a road bike. I could just get the cyclocross later when I can afford something nice.
>>
If I am considering two otherwise nearly identical bikes (steel frame/fork flat bar hybrid with hydraulic disc brakes) and the only significant difference is a 1-tier improvement in the Shimano groupset (Acera -> Alivio), is it worth paying $100 extra for the better components?
>>
>>1102317
Are those occasion models?

How much do they cost?

Acera is Shimano Tourney levels of MTB groupsets.
It should be worth the 100 dollars.

Not sure why you'd want a MTB groupset on a stiff hybrid but whatever.
>>
>>1102322
See my original posts in the last /bbg/ for details.
>>1101588
>>1101940

>>1102322
>Are those occasion models?
I don't understand what this means.
>How much do they cost?
The Masi retails for around $850 but will cost me $650 after taxes and discount. The Marin retails for around $750, but the discount is less so it'll cost around $750 after taxes.
>Acera is Shimano Tourney levels of MTB groupsets.
>It should be worth the 100 dollars.
I was under the impression that Altus was the lowest tier of Shimano MTB groupset?
>Not sure why you'd want a MTB groupset on a stiff hybrid but whatever.
That's the way they are sold at my LBS, I dunno.
>>
>>1102304
Ive considered getting clipless pedals because my feet slip a lot especially when I shift gears, but I dont know what kind of shoes I should get? Does anybody who uses clipless have recommendations?
>>
>>1102317
100$ is worth it
>>
>>1102292
I use a camelbak on the MTB. Couldn't stand having it on my back for 100+ miles in 30+ degree weather.

Now I just take two big bottles and refill them whenever I can, works fine.
>>
>>1102325
For commuting you should get mtb cleats since mtb shoes are pretty fine for walking, but there are some stiff shoes which are not really good for walking, but still way better than road ones. And maybe get a mixed pedal platform/spd so you can use normal shoes with them too.
>>
>>1102292
>>1102300
It's "heresy" because it's super uncomfortable to have your back and shoulders sealed up with a pack when it should be getting good airflow and also having the extra weight on your sitbones will hurt your taint.

It's a bad idea. Throw on some bigger bottle cages if you need more water.
>>
Can you honestly go wrong with anything Shimano makes? I'm looking at buying a 29er and all the bikes in my price range have Acera, Deore and 315 parts. I'm coming from a city bike that's close to falling apart with faulty brakes and gears so anything I can buy will feel like riding a $25 000 bike to me.
>>
>>1102261
>How harshly do people judge cyclists?
You will be the envy of every pedestrian and motorists will hate you slightly more than they hate other motorists.

>keep in mind that I also live near a lot of the white trash southern type
Open carry.
>>
File: KHS Zaca 29er.jpg (69 KB, 600x448)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I wear a Camelbak every ride, including a 15 miles ride I did on a paved bike path. I keep all my tubes in it, trail mix, tonz of water, and a first aid kit. Same bag is used for half day gnarly dirt trail rides too. I also have a small bike bag that keeps my pump and phone, wallet, etc.

Fuck being light as possible, I want a workout when I ride.
>>
File: HuffyOverland.jpg (54 KB, 600x450)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Looking for an inexpensive used bike for a short-term (5 month) job with a 1.2 mile commute. The terrain is 80% flat, with a couple of mild inclines/hills (one or two places I foresee I might have to walk the bike up, until I hopefully build up my leg strength).

Am thinking of pic related, which seller describes as follows:

>Huffy Overland Bike. Approximate height range for rider: 5'0" to 6'0". Brakes could use a little bit of tuning but otherwise, bike is functional. It's a hybrid between a mountain bike and cruiser.

Asking $50.

Tips, please, on what to look for if I decide to check it out and do a test drive.

Is the brake issue ("could use a little bit of tuning") a red flag? I have no idea how to tune bicycle brakes.
>>
>>1102347

PS on "Looking for an inexpensive used bike."

Thoughts on whether I'd be better off getting a new bike for $80 from Walmart, like this Huffy 26" Cranbrook Men's Cruiser Bike.

Pay another $30 and get something new and presumably reliable -- maybe that's the way to go?
>>
/n/

I found this thing on an ad. It's 300 USD (Bikes are expensive here, and this is actually a good price). The rig seems pretty shoddy from my point of view. Beside the claris calipers, I see no other redeeming value to it, however something makes me think the previous owner riced it for a reason.

The bike comes with a pair of (shitty I suppose) cycling shoes, a (equally entry level) cateye cycle computer, and a car bike rack. 7 speed, it seems overall okay. What makes me wonder is why anyone would have gotten out of their way in putting clipless pedals on this. Am I missing something?
>>
File: c_13_3XC3C_wht-3-web.jpg (106 KB, 1200x673)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Looking at picking up a barely used 2013 SuperX that's been upgraded (11-speed Ultegra, Avid Shorty Ultimates, Ksyrium Elite S wheels) for next to nothing.

If I'm not really using it for cross/gravel grinding, are cantis still a solid choice?
>>
>>1102325
Whatever shoe fits you best at your local shop. Road or mtb. Added bonus that the shop will do a cleat fit for you.
>>
>>1102261
>I'm afraid of being judged by the normies as being a loser for riding a bike instead of driving
Are you sure you're even old enough to drive?
I ask because your attitude sounds more like a 13 to 15 year old, not someone old enough for even a learners permit.
Maybe you'd better think about that.
>>
>>1102379
Because clipless is more comfortable than flat pedals. It's not limited to freds and races. And if you just want to check your speed and know the total distance of a ride, Kateye is pretty much what you want.

>>1102385
Yes, just put some slicks.
>>
>>1102442
Thank you for your input. Seems like I am way over my head in this (Never had clipless). Still, the frame must have some merit to it, you wouldn't put clipless pedals if you only plan to commute (I assume)

Pic related is the drivetrain. I am really tempted on buying this as a second bike, maybe use use it around as a beater since the drops would give me better clearance on the street. Will probably meet the seller and give it a ride and see how it feels. Thanks again.
>>
>>1102445
I'd even go clipless with a walmart bike. It's just better than platforms. Be careful if you want to go clipless on a commuter, you'd have to change your pads often.
>>
>>1102314
29er may be a little faster. Not a big difference. Riding position, type of tire, tire pressure, weight of bike make more of a difference. Esp. now 26" mtb's are oriented for technical riding and you don't need that it doesn't sound like.

For what it's worth a road bike does gravel trails just fine. I used to take my $800 alu road bike to cyclocross practice. It was slippery and silly but mostly do-able. I even took it to the mountain bike park here--granted I'm a twig and have been on a bike a lot--but it's not so much skill as knowing when to slow down or get off and walk.

I like a bike to pull it's weight, be low maintenance, be fun and useful, and pay for itself. To me that means:
Rack mounts
No suspension (seals, dirt, air leakage, heavy, soft tires are so much easier)
Probably not hydraulic disc brakes (cable actuated maint. is so simple)
Vee brakes are fine, road calipers are very nice and light, discs have an ego but it's worth it in the mud
Having nice lights is good
Comfortable saddle!

Mountain bike can accept a wide range of tires and configuration, that is the positive. Slightly slower than roadish bike is drawback. Either could do everything you want, I suspect.
>>
File: deliverance-boy1.jpg (21 KB, 610x300)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1102261

>I don't want people to think I'm a loser for riding a bike
>I hate people who ride bikes so much they have apparel specifically meant for riding bikes
t. white trash southern type
>>
>>1102462
There are mountain-bike clipless, where you can get recessed cleats so you don't wear them down.
>>
>>1102484
Have only ever had one pair of spd shoes where the cleat didn't touch the ground. And even they are not perfect, in 3 mo. the rubber wore down enough for the cleat to contact the ground. Cleats last long enough? and are cheap to replace. If commuting involves a lot of walking on asphalt, I would just get some nice sticky flats and use regular shoes.
>>
File: rockhard.jpg (105 KB, 800x800)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1102261
first bike I'll buy myself if I buy it for commute on hsitty roads. What am I in for?

>costs $230 converted from my country's currency bought from local walmart thing

Most of the used ones are stolen here so I'll buy a new one I guess.
>>
How long are the bolts on modern rear brakes? I wanna know if I need to drill out the brake bridge or not on my vintage bike.
>>
>>1102835
Not the most knowledgable but I wouldn't buy. I think for maybe 150 you could get something nice depending on where you live. Used bikes sometimes have better parts and not goddamn grip shifters which sometimes break down.

Anyways post link with specs if you can
>>
>>1102835
Decathlon bikes are pretty good for the price, tha bike is the lowest tier of their mtb stuff, I see ton of them around here since they are pretty reliable and cheap. It's price is almost the same as a cheap used mtb, so for 50 aditional euros, people get a new bike with warranty instead of an used bike. Iguess it's good for commuting since it's not a fancy bike, here many uni students buy these bikes.
>>
Quick question here folks

I've used a variety of mountain bikes over the years. Anything from a walmart shit bike to higher end mtb cross bikes. But I plan to go out and find a nice road bike to use instead in a couple of days.

Would a local shop have the right frames in stock for a bigger guy like me? My experience with bike buying has always been through my uncle and father, who are both cycling machines.

Any other tips would be useful. I'm aiming to spend no more than $700usd on a bike and basic gear (helmet, gloves, and sunglasses at a minimum. My hands are fucked enough as is).
>>
>>1102895
Define "bigger guy". You're fat? You're tall?
> I'm aiming to spend no more than $700usd on a bike and basic gear
Buy used
>>
File: big guy.jpg (8 KB, 480x360)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1102895
How big are you?. Unless you are a giant, you can get a decent frame easily since you can ride a smaller frame if necessary with no problem.
>>
>>1102900
>>1102904

Both fat and tall, I think. I weigh 215lbs and am 6'4. I've used smaller frames on most of my mountain bikes, but I don't want to deal with not extending my legs fully (or compromising by standing most of the time. I can never raise the seat high enough).
>>
I am pretty interested in bicycle touring but I never bought a bike before (the bikes I had before were gifts when I was a kid, which are to small for me now).
I want to get it at a proper bike shop to make sure I get a good fit. That said I really could use some tips on buying a bike for touring without getting screwed over.
>>
>>1102911
>but I don't want to deal with not extending my legs fully (or compromising by standing most of the time. I can never raise the seat high enough).
I don't think you will have a problem with that, there are frames for your height, and you can even get longer cranksets.>>1103023

>That said I really could use some tips on buying a bike for touring without getting screwed over.

Steel is real, but you can do touring on alu too. You don't need to get an expensive custom steel frame. Just a bike with the basic stuff is ok, so you will need something with rack mounts, on the fork and seatstays, and capacity for wide tyres+mudguards, minimum 28mm tyres and that's pretty pizzacutter for touring.

For a budget touring bike, as far I know, the Fuji touring is pretty nice with good reviews from users.
>>
>>1103031
Thanks for the advice.
One additional question, what kind of handlebar is best for touring? I have only really used flat bars before so I don't know what the different types are for.
>>
Get a bike. It's fucking awesome.

I'm dutch though, so this is extremely biased.
>>
>>1103034
What is so "fucking awesome" about it?
>>
>>1102261
>I'm afraid of being judged

But you are already a huge loser, you goddamn pathetic faggot
>>
File: miss.jpg (35 KB, 480x320)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
What do you guys think about bycicle forks with colors missmatching the frame color? Do they make the bikes look more agressive or whatever?
>>
>>1103039
carbon/chrome/same colour or it looks like the bike has been badly crashed, which is usually the case with a mismatching fork.
>>
>>1103033
Drop bars and buterfly bars are the best ones. Flat bars are not good because you need to change your hand position from time to time or you will get some shit on your wrists from poor blood flow / nerve getting presed too much during too much time. With drop bars you have 3-4 available hand positions, and with buterfly bars, even more.
>>
>>1102274
This. Just checked one out though I'm not in the market for one. Felt nice. Would trust.
>>
>>1103054
Not him, but I have a friend that swears by TT handlebars.
He mounted them onto his flatbar roadie and claims that it's much easier to handle and his arms don't get messed up.

Thoughts on that?
>>
>>1103033
flat bars + aero bars for bikebacking memery or high drops
>>
>>1102343
Hmm. Would still avoid tourney. I used to ride acera and Altus when I was a teenager at home and Deore or xt when renting in the mountains. I think deore is probably plenty of fun these days. It's only gotten better. I have several road bikes with Shimano mid range groups and if I got a mountain bike again I'd probably start with deore or sram 10 speed groups.
>>
>>1102445
Biopace chainrings, looks like.
>>
>>1102888
nice trips, here are the specs.

>>1102892
thanks, really helps to decide. I'm a fresh graduate starting a new job so similar to broke uni student.

I also see a used road bike that fits my size (6'5 here) in my area for $270, but I'm not sure whether I should buy a road bike as I really haven't done any cycling seriously.

probably gonna stick with the mountain bike because of the shitty roads but I kinda want to know if this is a good deal or not

it's a scott 309AFD if that says anything.
>>
>>1103119
woops, forgot to actually post link

https://www.btwin.com/en/mountain-bikes/sport-mountain-bikes/18711-rockrider-340-26-mountain-bike-grey.html
>>
>>1102262
I have this exact bike
>>
Any bottle cage recommendations for CF frames or it's something that doesn't really matter?
>>
So i'm moving to the city in a couple days to transfer to uni from college. The school is about 7 mins by bike from my place. My stepdad's offered me our old bike, which has about a 20 inch frame, a diamondback. my inseam is about 36 inches so i hear it's pretty small for my height. I can afford a new bike. Should i do it? what's the issue with a small frame?
>>
>>1103165
Too short of a reach will likely mean you'll feel scrunched up
You'll either have to set the seat too low, which means your legs might kick up pretty high, and not getting proper leg extension will make your knees feel fucky.
Alternatively, you can set the seat at the proper height, but that will likely make there be a huge bar drop, as in, the handle bars will be significantly lower than the saddle, which is usually uncomfortable.

At the end of the day, try it. Might be a surprisingly alright fit. Might be shit and you'll need to buy one yourself. But nothing bad can really come from trying it out.

>>1103137
Doesn't matter, as long as you don't overtorque it. I'd say just don't get a cheap metal one just because a decent plastic one isn't that much more. but you wont fuck up your frame either way

>>1103119
Don't get a mountain bike if you aren't doing mountain biking. Get something actually made for the riding you're doing. Live somewhere with shitty roads? Get something like a hybrid instead. Want something more like a road bike with drop bars? Get an adventure/gravel bike, which are straight up made for shitty roads.
>>
>>1102264
The best bike is one that fits tou physically and can carry you and your gear. Unless you are going on really shitty roads or have fucking awful cheap tires you can make it work.

If you can wait though, you should be able to find a closeout marked from 1100 down to 800. Or hunt for a loved steel bike with eyelets, spend half the price and go from there.
>>
>>1102292
am i the only one who routes my rides around public water sources so I can refill half way through? I always make note of what parks have public water fountains and go by them
>>
Why are the fucking handle-bars upside down? Is this normal? Is This Guy Retarded? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ottawa/vintage-12-speed-tallisman-bicycle/1292390862?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
>>
>>1103188
I'm going to kick him in the ribs.
>>
>>1103186
I often have to. There are also 'private' water sources like corner stores.

The biggest issue for me is my favorite mountain doesnt have any water sources between an unreasonably early point and mile 17ish.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (9 KB, 816x460)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
o 13.00
>>
>>1103201
What?
>>
>>1103188
dumb old people do that sometimes because they want to be more upright because they are dumb and old
>>
>>1103178
Thanks
>>
>>1102292
why don't you look for solutions based on bikepacking? they'll be aerodinamic and light, and you won't have something on your back all the time.
Also, I saw a double bottle cage for the back of the saddle, pic related.
>>
What is /n/'s opinion on hydraulic disc brakes vs mechanical disc brakes? I want a bike and it comes with mechanical disk brakes, but if I chalk up about 100 dollars more I get hydraulic disc brakes. I've no clue how to do maintenance on hydraulic disc brakes. Basically is it worth to get the hydraulic brakes and how different is the maintenance on the hydraulic brakes compared to mechanical brakes.
>>
>>1103240
Hydraulics are generally, all around, better than mechanical.
Because hydraulics are, well, hydraulics, braking is really easy. like, you don't need any force. One finger braking is all you need, even if you're bombing downhill. It also just feels better.
Ontop of that, it brakes a little better. This is because hyrdraulics have 2 pistons clamping down on the rotor, where as mechanical has 1 piston pushing the disc into a static wall (there are exceptions to this with mechanical disc brakes with 2 pistons, but again, they're exceptions)

Maintenance wise? Hydraulics are super reliable. They self adjust, the pads automatically backing off from where they clamp. So it's pretty much set and forget. HOWEVER. They do have to be bled every couple of years. And bleeding brakes is something you'd want to take it to the shop for.
Mechanical disc brakes are a lot less reliable, can go out of tune from regular use, and you're still replacing the cable every handful of years as well. But at least it's easier to work on yourself with standard tools.

Is hydraulics worth it? Up to you. I say they probably are. If you're mountain biking i'd say absolutely do it, no question. Road bike/hybrid? Both will be good.
>>
>>1103240
I personally don't care for hydraulic brakes. Avid BB7's have all the stopping power you will ever need. I've had the bleed nipple break on the rear hybraulic brake during a mountain bike ride. The fluid drained out and I had no rear brake for the rest of the ride. Plus bleeding them is a hassle
>>
>>1103251
>>1103253
Thanks guys. I think I'll probably have to take the dive into hydraulic brakes eventually so why not now. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and have been working on cheap garage-sale bikes for a while now. I just moved closer to the city so I'm closer to shops and stuff if I really need help. Can't wait to try them out anyway.
>>
I am from Russia, guy is trying to sell me a bike "in good condition" called
Stark Indy Alloy for what seems to be1/3th the price

Is that a good choice for a guy who just wants a bike for the city rides and commuting? The city in question is Moscow
>>
>>1103261
Be sure to get a good look at it before talking money.
>>
>>1103261
That's a supermarket-tier BSO, it's already 1/3rd of its price when brand new. Avoid.
>>
>>1103240
I got a bike with hydro and mech, the mech are fucking shit, they are far worse than rim brakes. I haven't tried compressionless housing to see if that improves things

If I rode that bike more I'd probably get some of those mech brakes that are hydro activated for it. Just avoid pure mech disc
>>
>>1103288
Thanks for the info, I've decided to go for the hydraulic brakes.
>>
File: Raleigh Redux 2.jpg (174 KB, 1500x881)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Is there any way for me to get a Raleigh Redux 2 in Canada? I live in Ottawa and a couple bike shops here have the Redux 1 but not the 2. Raleigh doesn't ship here to Canada so is there a way for me to get it through a bike shop or something.
>>
is this okay?
>>
File: image.jpg (2.59 MB, 4888x1731)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB JPG
>>1102292

I have used a Camelbak in similar climate conditions you described, working as a mtb guide.

That rucksack turned out to be near indestructible, reliable and functional for carrying tools etc. When you fill it with cold water, it even keeps the temperature for quite a while. I have this Camelbak for over 10 years now, it had costed me around 60€. Excellent value.
>>
File: 1502392552615.jpg (3 KB, 64x64)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
my casette wobbles, what do.
>>
>>1104290

Have you taken it off the hub lately, did you align the sprockets correctly ?
>>
>>1102292
>I sweat a lot, my face always end covered with salt
Same here.
My solution is to drink a lot. I plan my rides "around" public water wells (it's a thing in my neighbourhood), so whenever I need to drink more I just stop at the nearest one and refill. I still do carry two 0,75 litre bidons.

Anyway, you running low on water, just stop by a shop or gas station or whatever. Shit's better than getting your back soaked to hell, innit.

>>1103186
Apparently not. Cheers.
>>
>>1103188
DUI bars?
>>
Cycle-to-work scheme is rolling around again in a couple of weeks. Already got a weekend bike, thinking I'm going to grab a gravel bike/cyclocross for my commute and for riding out in to the boonies with a tent.

>UK
>£1300/$1700 budget
><9kg
>Hyrdaulic Discs
>clearance for at least 32s
>not fussed about groupset, but am a SRAM fan

Any recommendations?

Pic related is undeniably good value but fuck me is it an ugly frameset.
>>
Schindelhauer Ludwig XI going for $800 near me. I might go check it out this weekend.
>>
File: chargeplug.jpg (155 KB, 706x416)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Charge Plug 1 Disc for £600.

Looking to use it as my main commuter (especially for these winter rides).
>>
>>1104302

Do it man, Schindelhauers are gorgeous bikes.

Also, if you're in a euro city with a lot of stop start traffic/lights being able to change gear while stationary is the fukken bomb.
>>
>>1104288
Where is this photo from?

I want to guess Australia or Spain but I'm terrible at that game.
>>
>>1104308

West coast of Corsica
>>
CAAD12 Ultegra vs Supersix EVO Ultegra
I work at my lbs so can get them cheap and only £60 more for the supersix. I know i should go for the carbon supersix but it has a 105 cassette and worse chainset.
>>
>>1102476
You don't even know what the t. stands for
>>
>>1104301
>32
45 MINIMUM
>>
File: 1497647477974.gif (106 KB, 640x360)
106 KB
106 KB GIF
>>1104345
ultegra drivetrains are cheap, as long as the supersix comes with Ultegra shifters you can replace the derailleurs and chain later
>>
>>1104356

THICC
H
I
C
C

Legit considering a Cannondale Slate Apex which is 650bs with 40mm tyres standard.

Just seems a little crazy when it's £300 more than, say, the CAADX Apex... It's not even got the suspension lefty fork, though arguably that makes it more fit for purpose.
>>
>>1104349
t. newfag
>>
>>1104515
>lefty fork
dont, that's how my brother died
>>
>>1102351
never buy walmart anon, it's a trap
>>
>>1104551
Story? Or is this a meme?
>>
>>1104583
He burned of shame due to constant ridicule for his bike being so fucking ugly.
>>
Good find? Meme response for commute is 90s mtb but idk if these are 80s or 90s
>>
I'm looking at a new fuji sagres.
Is it good for the price?
>>
Getting my real bike to ride to work. I'm looking around on craiglist for that classic formula that is so recommended here. Are these decent examples? Thanks.

- https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/trek-930-mountain-bike/6244687683.html
- https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/schwinnhigh-sierramountain/6274774171.html
- https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/specialized-hardrock-mens/6271146755.html
- https://houston.craigslist.org/bid/d/2015-trekmountain-bike/6267319039.html
- https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/vintage-specialized-hard-rock/6276246080.html
- https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/raleigh-mountain-bike/6277690410.html
- https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/trek800mountain-track-bike/6255158342.html
>>
If a dedicated bike is out of the question, which of the following would you recommend to be retrofitted to be an audax/touring bike?
Road bike, Specialized Allez
29er Hardtail, Voodoo Aizan
>>
Looking to buy my first road bike, I've been talking to my dad who cycles a lot and knows what he's talking about and he's been telling me to look for an aluminium frame bike with a 105 or above groupset. I went to a bike shop today and they recommended the 2018 Specialized Allez Elite and the Trek Émonda ALR 5, also been looking at the Cannondale CAAD12, anyone have any other reccomendations in a similar price range?
>>
File: resized_1472730263.jpg (62 KB, 700x425)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
All right how is this for commute? How can these grandpa bikes handle shittier roads?

Whenever i tried one of these on bad roads (tfw Hungary only has bad roads) they shook like hell and sounded like they will fall apart at any second.

Anyone familiar with this HUN manufacturer at all? It's Csepel. This one would cost me $215
>>
Hey guys are there any better bikes I can buy other than the one I linked for the same price or cheaper? It's going to be my first bike and ideally only one, I need it for commuting to school 10 miles round trip daily. I'm 6'3 and 290 pounds. Everything is nice and flat on sidewalks to my destination.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/flat-bar-road-bikes/cafejava-flatbar-steel-road-bikes.htm
>>
>>1104659
It's hard to beat bikesdirect value, they have pretty decent bikes at dirt cheap prices. They have shitty assembly though so you may want to re-tighten everything as soon as you get it. I'd say go for it, of course making sure you get the proper size frame since you're pretty tall.
Also don't ride on the sidewalk you little bitch
>>
>>1104653
If you can afford it, any of those are great options. Bear in mind big brands such as Specialized, Trek and Cannondale have a name brand tax, and you could find a near identical bike but from something like Jamis or Kona for way cheaper.
Your old man is right though, alu frame and 105 groupo is the way to go for a first road bike.
>>
>>1104654
If a single speed bike is your objective, you could get a used one for a fraction of that price and it'll perform just the same. Bikes shake and rattle when they're improperly built/setup, it's nothing inherent to them. For shit roads, just fit the widest possible tires your frame will allow.
>>
>>1104650
Depends on the terrain you'll be riding, if you plan on going mostly offroad then the hardtail is your best bet since you can put wider tires on it. If your tour is going to be mostly on paved roads, then get the roadie.
In any case I'd go with whichever has enough fender/rack mounts.
>>
>>1104596
Can't see shit, but for that price it should be hard to go wrong, as long as they're in good condition.
>>1104625
Sure, Fuji is good value. Since you're planning on buying a -cheap- brand new bike, at least make sure it has decent insurance, or free tune-ups, or something.
>>
>>1104660
but car people are super scary! I saw one guy cut between a truck and a big ol publix trailer and he switched lanes so sharply that he was on two wheels.
>>
File: 1504227964522-1629739993.jpg (2.32 MB, 4160x3120)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
>>1104596
>>1104668
Ok so I got a better look at them.

High Sierra:
Suntour xc rear and front derailleurs, sealed bearings, sakae cranks, roller cam brakes that seem to work well, everything spins/shifts well. Just needs new tires and tubes. They might be from when the bike was new... Extremely happy with this one for $22.50.

Mirada:
Shimano light action rear and Shimano nameless front derailleur (logo is just stamped onto what looks like bent thick sheet metal, looks cheaper), Sugino cranks, canti brakes. Front wheel rubs a bit on brake but shouldn't be hard to adjust out right? Rear hub and crank spin well, everything shifts well. Also has tubes and tires that look as old as the bike. Overall still very happy with it for $22.50.
>>
File: 1504228110433-1427473626.jpg (2.42 MB, 4160x3120)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
>>1104725
>>
>>1104665
I can get a rear rack on both, but think that my hardtail can take more weight as I have lighter wheels (Ultegra 6800) on my road bike. I am looking at general touring where I just head out to explore new areas I haven't seen before so would try to stick to roads but can't guarantee I won't look through a forest.
Apart from putting on racks and mudguards, what modifications would be needed to make audax/touring bikes of them?
>>
>>1104583
he was going ride and on lefty fork and i say 'no brother' he says 'its ok' and then he is died
>>
>>1104739
With the allez, a bikepacking setup would be best, not racks. So, large rigid seatbag, frame bag, handlebar roll, top tube bag, 28 tires, no fenders, and you have to be quite ruthless about what gear you bring. Due to aero and to a lesser extent weight, that style is a lot faster. It's also much better on gravel. Maybe a wider cassette and raise your bars.

With the mtb you could do the same thing, with wide knobs and no fenders, and have a bike that's really good for backcountry riding (although you won't have enough room for food/gear/water to stay there long), or you could go trad touring racks & fenders & slicks and get a lot more space for stuff.
>>
>>1104754
With the mountainbike I do have a hiking backpack with camelbak I could add to it. Until now I have been using pannier bags on my mountain bike for shopping, can get a weeks worth in one trip.
>>
>>1104787
hm ok, If you already have a rack & panniers. I'm just trying to spread some memes. Backpack is not good though, even bungeying your backback to the rack top would be better. Ideally you put some of the weight up front.

Most useful piece of kit imo is bungeys like this & you can strap shit in a lot of places with them and not expensive bags.
>>
>>1104790
I have a topeak tour guide handlebar bag I can put on my mountain bike? Putting it on my Allez makes the headset creak after a few miles.
>>
>>1104679
You get used to it
>>
>>1104725
>>1104726
Not bad at all. I'd get new saddles, tires/tubes, and replace all the little rusty bits. Maybe get new cables also.
>>
>>1104812
That's odd. Try cleaning and lightly greasing your stem all around where it clamps on the fork and where it clamps on the bars.
>>
How does this look for a commuter and fitness riding?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/gents-mountain-bike-giant-/1264239261
http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/rock-2009
>>
Can anyone ID this frame?
>>
>>1104937
are you joking?
>>
>>1104937
Generic POS someone slapped a sticker on
>>
>>1104937
It's a newer Schwinn Madison that's been rattlecanned black.
>>
Is this a good deal?

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/trek-mountain-bike/6276012940.html

Or is it too expensive and I'd be better off with this one?

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/vintage-specialized-hard-rock/6276246080.html

Also thinking of buying both because the hardrock has cool graphics but not a rack. Or I could just buy a rack for the hardrock, since that's all I really want from the trek. (Pic is the trek) Thanks guys
>>
>>1104973
The Trek is 175 and the Spesh is 50
>>
>>1104973

I've had both. The Trek is better but it's priced too high (especially for your area). I got my 930 like 5 years ago (mint condition frame with perfect decals and a rack) for like 120. Negotiate the price down or wait it out for another trek to come.

Also, don't be a dumbass and buy bikes based on how they look. Look at the components, weld job, and if it's ready to ride (or if will need upgrades/repairs).
>>
>>1104935
Sorry to bump this on a slow board. Need to meet the seller tonight in case it gets sold before I get a shot.
>>
File: IMG_3419.jpg (82 KB, 637x466)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Craigslist seller asking $700 for a steel bianchi with brifters and what looks like some campy gruppo. Would $600 be a fair offer?
>>
>>1105256
bout tree fiddy
>>
>>1105256

A bit pricey, although the first generation campy ergo stuff lasts forever. Good stuff.

I would consider it a good deal at 400. 600 is a bit steep, but you could probably get close to that back if you parted it out and sold on ebay.
>>
>>1105256
Unlike shimano sti which never do this, If you're going up a very steep hill, worn ergos ratchets will often shift up, its a real cunt. They're rebuildable, but people generally don't. Worth testing this if you can.
>>
>>1105256
those bars look fuckin' retarded. i'd tell the prick to shove it based on that alone.
>>
>>1105256

Don't put more than 450 into it. Why are you interested in buying that versus something else - something more modern? You could get yourself a very good used bike for that price that will outperform the bianchi.
>>
>>1105342
It looks cool & the frame would ride really really nicely.

I used to ride something similar and when i got a nice modern road bike it was a bit of an eyeopener, I wouldn't go back to single pivot breaks and i wouldn't go back to worn low tier campy, but i'd go back. Faster doesn't mean better.

Stiffer front end from threadless steering, low gearing w a compact crank & better braking all make a big difference.
Few kg less weight, external bb, bit stiffer, newer, it doesn't really matter.

I like that and i want to ride it is really important.

A bike like that would also hold its value. It really depends on the condition though. I'd guess that it's not in good condition. The wheels aren't matching, the tires are flat, the fit is retarded, is that a pinarello stem?? If that's record or chorus then maybe 500 would be fair, but avanti or mirage, that's probably worn as fuck, it's just not worth it imo.
>>
>>1105256
also the unicrown fork, wtf, whose idea was that
>>
>be op
>order road bike from giant
>5 days later they have a sale
>shiggydiggy
>>
File: 158014.jpg (73 KB, 800x450)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Just bought this from my LBS.
Specialized Allez E5
I've been using Mountain Bikes and shitty, small frames, for the past few years. So this is gonna be my first road bike, and it seems to be entry level.

Did I pay too much?
$800 (since it's my first road bike and I've purchased parts from them before, they're going to give me free maintenance for the first two years of riding it)
>>
>>1105371
Thats a very good "racy" entry level bike. You can upgrade parts as they wear off (you can change to 10 speed fairly easy), but works ok as is.
>>
>Find a cool bike that looks like it fits my needs
>Really good value compared to similar bikes
>Google it to see if there are any reviews
>Basically nothing
>One forum post asking if anyone actually owns one
>A dude posts pics of his one and says it's good but he changed some parts straight out the box
>every other link is just different region links to the same product page

Are Press Fit BBs really that bad?
>>
hi im new here, have you guys tried the electric kits they sell on amazon/others? are they any good? (the cheap ones)
>>
>>1105387
Press fit works fine. Just if you need to service it you pretty much can't do it yourself.
>>
>>1105355
>>1105317
>>1105298
>>1105293
>>1105317
ty for the advice bros--I knew it was p fucked up but I was interested because of >muh Italian heritage and >muh celeste but thankfully cooler heads have prevailed
>>
$1100
>>
>>1102351
I'd like to know this as well.
>>
>>1102292
I use one because I live in the desert heat, elevation, and constant head winds make most of my rides pretty difficult. I already look goofy when I'm riding so I might as well carry all the water I could ever need.

I use a Camelbak ambush and its great for holding stuff for rides. I can hold: 3L's of water, a change of clothes, deodorant, two bags of snacks, a spare tube, CO2 canisters, my surface pro 4 (plus its charge), and my cell phone. Granted it's a pain in the ass to pack all of that stuff into such a small bag but once it's packed it's fairly comfortable.

If you don't need to carry as much this version might be good for you. It's nice and bright and reflective but you can't put any gear under the front flap like you can with the military version.

One downside to using them is it might be uncomfortable to put stuff in your jersey pockets and stuff like cell phones and snack will be harder to get to. So you might have to deal with stuff poking you in the back while you're riding or you'll have to keep everything in your bag and stop to get it out.
>>
>>1102351
>>1105617
If your budget is below 1000 USD never look for a new bike. Whatever the price range you'll ALWAYS get a better piece of equipment if you get a used one.

Department store bikes are despised by anyone with even the slightest bit of experience for a reason. All their components are made from cheese-grade chinesium. The target audience for these bikes is people who get a bike, use it for two weeks and it lands on the scrapyard after years of sitting in the toolshed. You're not going to have a great experience and if you want the tiniest chance to get hooked on bikes as a hobby and not just mere form of transportation from your home to the bar you should avoid them.
>>
File: camelbak lobo.jpg (28 KB, 500x500)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1102292
this is about the smallest camelbak- it has back ventilation but it does get warm back there. i freeze the bladder and carry 1 bottle on long rides so your back stays iced for a couple hours.
>>
>>1103240
some of the DOT (avid, sram and others) hydros will lock up in really hot weather. Mine have been a pain in the ass but they feel so good when they work.
>>
>>1105298
Yeah, STIs at least have the politeness to gum up and fail utterly. Rebuilding Ergos almost never happens because you have to kiss the ring of the Pope while sacrificing a chicken to Jupiter in order to receive the divine prophecy that will lead you to defeating the dragon that guards the cache of spare parts that Campagnolo buried in an ancient tunnel under the Alps because fuck plebs.

Another fun feature of that design is that it's easy for the rubber hoods to get slightly unseated and prevent you from shifting, which can really suck. And their brakes were kinda crap until they moved to double pivot.
>>1105356
Bianchi's. Same goes for the shitass handlebars. The Veloce was a relatively cheapo bike, like $700 or so I think.
>>
I found a pre 1975 nikishi bike for $140. Is it worth it?
>>
File: BG-ventilated-packs.jpg (66 KB, 550x367)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1102292
just make sure you get one with proper ventilation/support for the back, and try being the most minimalist possible with what you put in it
>>
>>1104349
you neither
>>
>>1105860
no
>>
File: 1423942928261.jpg (246 KB, 858x536)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
ok guys I'm looking to buy a new bike from a shop for once.
Need a relatively cheap and reliable daily ride bike
I've been looking at these
http://www.bikershop.pl/Produkty/Rower-Merida-Crossway-10_V/10889/209441
http://www.bikershop.pl/Produkty/Rower-Merida-Crossway-5V/10915/209500
http://www.bikershop.pl/Produkty/ROWERY-MTB-29-cali-Rower-Trek-Marlin-6/9319/206741
because that's the kind of frame I want, will worry about installing mudguards later
as you can see prices are all under 2k which is a deal breaker
which one would you pick or can you find me a better one on that site?
I'll greatly appreciate any advice
>>
File: rxm.jpg (163 KB, 1500x1032)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
is the Raleigh RXM any good. can be had for around $1k new

https://www.raleighusa.com/rxm-3162
>>
>>1106200
Raleighs are good bikes but I am pretty sure they are TOO MAINSTREAM MAAAAN for /n/

Like you should get a Verenti or something because you've probably never heard of it
>>
>scared of Red-staters

Fly a little Thin Blue Line flag off the back and you'll get left alone.
>>
>>1104981
I'll maybe get him down 10 dollars, but he is also offering 6 months of adjustments and 1 free tune up. Is it still worth worth it?
>>
>>1106202
That's the bargain house brand of one of the largest bike companies in the world. You're just comparing euro plebs to US plebs. There's a huge premium on actual niche brands that don't benefit from economies of scale, so almost all the recs here are for bikes from big companies. /n/ snobbery is about other stuff.

>>1106200
Yeah it's good. What do you want it for though?
>>
>>1104981
Also, it is ready to ride. The whole bike was just restored.The guy is a professional bike mechanic and owns a shop.
>>
>>1106235
Imo it's worth it then if you don't know much about working on bikes. I'd see if the guy has some slicks he would put on it for you. How tall are you?
>>
>>1106231

You should be able to do that stuff yourself but if you can't go with it.
>>
>>1106234
>What do you want it for though?
first bike things
>>
Hey /bbg/, I'm looking for a bike to commute daily, on some days riding for a about an hour. Are either of these good deals?
https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/bik/d/dimondback-expert-road/6290308404.html
https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/bik/d/trek-alpha-sl-xo-road/6288931076.html

Should I ask the seller to buy this for 350?
https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/bik/d/fuji-roubaix-30/6295188645.html
>>
Should I get a Bulls Copperhead 29? Main use will be singletrack, nothing too crazy.
>>
File: Picture 356.jpg (2.61 MB, 3648x2736)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
I know very little about the aftermarket, it's a 2014 CAADX with an Ultegra groupset.

How do I improve on it? I'd like to bring the weight down and improve braking performance.

I like the TRP Spyres and will get new discs and pads for better bite.

Is it worth investing in a carbon seatpost and handlebars?

Where else can I save some weight?
>>
>>1108463
>improve braking performance.

You're already using disk brakes, unless it's almost through it's lifecycle, I don't think you could improve it.

Some would say to "slam the stem" meaning place the spacers on top, but you'd be sacrificing some comfort for a more aggressive areo position.

Also, maybe try clipless pedals?
>>
File: 84338.jpg (103 KB, 745x463)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>1108514
>You're already using disk brakes, unless it's almost through it's lifecycle, I don't think you could improve it.

Well, they don't grip as well as I expected moving up from a crappy rim brake Giant bike I rode as a commuter. I notice that the discs flex under load from the caliper, because they are pinched only from one side. The TRP Spyres mechanically squeeze uniformly from both faces, which should make for a much better performance and won't wear the discs. A pair of Spyres is only $85, which is damn tempting.

>Some would say to "slam the stem"

If I went any lower, my neck won't take the abuse.

>Also, maybe try clipless pedals?

Done. Just ordered a set of Crank Bros clipleess with platform hybdrids, because I like to cycle in regular shoes as well. Pic related.
>>
>>1108463
>investing in a carbon seatpost and handlebars

You are crazy to be chasing marginal gains with a cross bike & gators. Get something wider like compass, panaracer or clement and go have fun on some gravel roads + enjoy being comfy around town. You'll barely lose any speed, a wide compass tire is probably faster.
>>
Looking into buying a bike. I quit my job to fuck around for a bit before going back to work and need to get out of the house. I'm used to running and the bike is mainly for going longer distances so I can travel around this tiny ass town.

Ive come across this
https://www.rei.com/product/108602/cannondale-bad-boy-4-bike-2017

That seems halfway decent, but the name makes it seem like maybe it's just trying to be flashy while actually being shit, since I don't know much about bikes.

Can you guys recommend anything else with this price that's better or something similar for cheaper?
>>
>>1105381
hey i dont have this bike but i do have a similar priced 8 spd shimano claris bike. Can u explain to me how the process of switching to a ten spd goes? I was under the impression i needed a new chain, cassette, rear derailer and brifters. that doesnt sound 2 easy to me. also can i use the claris front derailer?
>>
>>1108463
You should be easily hitting the frictional limit of your tires, or your brakes aren't adjusted properly.

A tire swap will also improve braking, but there are tradeoffs for better performance. Especially if you're actually doing any offroad.

I don't know the specs of your wheelset, I think those are maddux 2.0's, which means there's quite a bit of room for improvement.

A performance wheelset will be expensive but I'd certainly go there before handlebars or seatposts.
>>
>>1108829
if you have time off work you should go touring
just fucking go for it and make it up as you go
fuji touring is pretty good and only $700
the bike you linked isn't bad, but its expensive for what it is, and you'd be better served with drops unless you're planning on riding singletrack
>>
I want to buy a mountain bike off of amazon, bad idea?
>>
>>1108876
Bad idea.
>>
>>1108877
Are any online retailers a bad idea? Can I just walk into a target and find something decent?
>>
>>1108879
There are online retailers that sell good bikes. Amazon, target, walmart, etc are not any of them.
They have to be a bike shop, like Wiggle, Decathlon, Halfords, etc.

If you're buying online and finding shop first then bike you're going backwards. Find a well reviewed bike in your price range then buy it from the place that sells it.
>>
>>1108871
I've considered it heavily but my girl probably wouldn't like it all that much if I went on a bike tour too. I planned on trying to squeeze in an Iceland tour in June/July but my work needed me a bit longer and didn't get to leave until the permanent daylight hours were coming to a close.

Do you have a better recommendation then? I figured it might be expensive being on REI and it's name and all. The town isn't all that big but maybe 10 miles in diameter at its widest point in north Texas and I'm sure I'll ride past that if I run out of places I've already seen.

Do you think a touring bike is still the best choice? I'm not going to be racing cars so much as just listening to tunes and getting cardio in since I'm turning into a fat slob sitting around and can't go to the gym at my workplace any more.
>>
>>1108871
Well, I appreciate the rec for the touring. I read up and seemed amazing for the price but now it seems Fuji has released their newest model for 2018 and the 2017s have disappeared and can't be found anywhere aside from one 54cm.

A grand seems pricy for the fuji touring in blue or black now. I really dug the brown and green.
>>
I have changed the grips and added mudguards and a rack to my mountain bike for off-road rides that I want to be around 60-100 miles in the long run.
After riding my mountain bike (29er hardtail) for 15 miles (of the 27 mile ride I did) my tailbone was in a lot of pain, and felt pain almost "behind" my sit-bones. I previously got this after riding him for 30 miles and suffered through to the end of that 57 mile ride. Could a charge spoon saddle fix those problems?
>>
>>1108890
Saddles are a crapshoot, plus it's more likely to be a fit issue than the saddle itself. It might be that your position is too upright. Have a look at;

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

I'd suggest you ask a shop for some help with your fit before spending money on saddles. It doesn't have to be a full meme $150 fit were they point lazers at your knees and stick sensors up your butthole, they'd probably do $20 for something basic, or free if you play your cards right.

For 100 miles you'll want padded shorts or a sprung leather saddle.
>>
>>1108911
Thank you, going to read up on that and head to the shop this afternoon.
>>
>>1108889
If you have a local shop that sells Fujis they may still have stock. That's a pretty normal case. Otherwise keep an eye out for second hand touring bikes. I have a 4 or 5 year old Surly that was second hand to me and still holds up well.
>>
>>1104754
>no weight whatsoever below tire height
>as much weight as high up as can possibly fit
for what purpose, excitement?

>>1104790
i wish i had this post as a flyer to hand out to all the commuters riding around wearing a back pack with their rear rack holding only their u-lock
>>
>>1108940
Weight is at the centre of the bike, lighter, doesn't rely on mounts, and it's WAY more aero. It's really easy to break panniers if you're riding hectic stuff. Having a narrower bike can be really nice. I tour with a conventional setup but bikepacking has its place.
>>
>>1108940
me
>>
>>1108934
Literally called every bike shop here and the next town over. All out. Everywhere. Fuji even said they're out of stock now.

So what's the next best touring bike?
>>
I have an old mountain bike right now that I use for commuting, single track, and gravel riding. The commute is pretty short and I have to jump up a lot of curbs so the mtb is good for that, and obviously single track but I'm looking to get a decent bike for long (70-100km) gravel rides, also looking to do some touring and maybe tts. I live in a flat place right now but I plan on doing some riding in mountains so needs to be able to climb with it.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-gx-0-2018

I'm interested in this bike, the expensive one has a 1x drivetrain, is the ratio low enough for climbing and touring, but high enough for road and gravel? It's got a sram apex 40t crankset and 11-42 cassette, no idea what my MTB has now because it's pretty old and I got it used.
>>
>>1109020
you're might run out of gearing on the sprinting or going downhill on pavement
on gravel you should be ok
40t crank with 11t cassette at cadence of 100 is 28 mph
with good clipless pedals you can get your cadence higher, but you still might be able to spin out on a descent
for gravel use you should be fine though
check out http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed
>>
File: meme bar.jpg (270 KB, 1536x1022)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>1103039
how are you supposed to have your hands on that thing? its too round and its too low to hold comfortably.
>>
1986 cannondale sr800 for $300
Is that a good price? Should I get it?
>>
>>1109020
Depends on how much climbing and tarmac you would tackle. If you dont live in Flatland or want to speed a bit on proper roads go for a compact 2x cranckset.
>>
>>1109057
It's a track bike intended to be ridden only for relatively short amounts of time, and in the drops
>>
Hey /n/

Way back in the summer of 2014 I bought a Trek 820. My first non-walmart tier bike. It has been quite the fun bike to ride but know that I know more about biking I find myself wanting something else.

As far as use goes:
I spend most of my bike rides going from a parking lot to whatever building my class is in (I'm a Virginia Tech student and a commuter). VT is pretty hilly but the hills tend to be short.

I never ride at my house. I live on the side of a mountain. The inclines are long and more like a vertical wall. I have to down shift to 2nd to get up the road my house is on, 1st if I'm carrying any appreciable load. When it snows I need to chain the tires since no one plows out here. 2WD FTW!
On the weekends my finance and I go riding at the various parks and paved bike trails. Occasionally I go out to a dirt/sand trail by myself as she doesn't like dirt paths with bumps and such.

As far as style goes:
I prefer more classic designs. When I go to the LBS and see all of the modern Trek road bikes they...well look ugly as sin to me. On the other hand there is a kid on campus with an old 10spd that looks sexy as fuck to me.

As far as functionality goes:
I do enjoy having a suspension fork. But I've ridden my woman's bike and defiantly see the advantages of a solid one. On the fence about this. Could take it or leave it.
I make great use of rear panniers but have never tried front. Whatever I buy next needs to be able to mount some sort of baggage.
I could go to a 2x or a 1x drivetrain. I think I've used the outer chainring on my 820 maybe 5 or 6 times ever. I also wouldn't mind having a freehub with an 8 or 9 speed cassette. The 7-speed Megarange on my 820 has too big of jumps and has proven to be pretty fragile.

What are some bikes I should be considering /n/?
>>
>>1109234
It looks great nic, they're based af, it's a fair price, but personally i cbf with tubulars. Also you better be a manlet because it's tiny.
>>
How the fuck do I buy a bike in my college town when having the semester started already there isn't shit on Craig's

I'm thinking just get a $300 giant escape
>>
>>1109280

Dump her now.
>>
>>1109568

That's fine. It has a high chance of getting stolen anyway. May as well have something to ride.
>>
>>1109571
It's just for riding around campus

You don't get stolen though unless the racks become full, though now that I have a nicer bike they could try harder
>>
What's the mm measure on group sets?
>>
>>1109777
The crank lenght.
>>
>>1109791
Ah yeah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!
>>
I'm looking at getting my first mountain bike. I'm currently looking at two different bikes on craigslist in the 800-900 USD price range.
The first one is an older square tube Turner DHR for 800$ (pic related). I don't know what sort of components it has but it looks like it's in fairly good condition for its age. I am worried about buying a full suspension bike that's 10+ years old though. But the guy doesn't know anything about it. For example, when I asked for a list of components he just sent me a bunch of pictures and he couldn't tell me the exact age of the bike.
The second bike is a stock 2015 BMC TE29 hardtail bike for 900$. I'm leaning towards this because
1. I already have a BMC TT bike and I'm super happy with it and
2. it's a lot newer and I'm sure there will be less maintenance due to it being a hardtail.
3. all of the trails close to me are pretty hilly and I don't think the downhill sections are big enough to require a full suspension bike.
The only downsides to the BMC is the guy who's selling it lives around 2.5 hours away from me.

I'm pretty sure that the BMC is the better deal but I wanted to get some other opinions before I go and drop a bunch of money.
>>
>>1109853
Heres a picture of the BMC TE29.
>>
File: avocet-touring.jpg (16 KB, 550x351)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
i've only ridden the "avocet touring" model you would find standard on 70's/80's steel framed stuff and i'm looking to make a decent upgrade at budget cost so how do i go about finding the right saddle for me without spending 2 thousand dollars on buying and trying every single one?
>>
>>1109861
Your LBS should let you try several saddles without buying them
In any case a usual budget recommendation is the Charge Spoon
>>
>>1109853
>>1109854

The BMC is a better bike in every way.
>>
>>1109867
Thanks, that's what I was thinking.Since I don't know a lot about mountain bike brands I wasn't sure if they were comparable.
>>
>>1109869

One of the main things to keep in mind about MTBs is that for the most part, newer really is better. Remember they've only really even been a thing since the late 80s/early 90s, and everything about them has been improved dramatically in a continuous cycle since then.

It's not like road bikes where, yeah, there have been a lot of meaningful upgrades but a strong rider can get on an ancient bike boom piece of shit and still go fast.
>>
>>1108463
I have almost exactly the same bike, and I think the best improvements would be wheelset and tires. IMO if you only ride on road go for straight road wheels, narrower with like 25s
>>
>>1109862
i assume they would do this because they expect that at the end that i buy one of them

what if i like one that is expensive and want to get it off ebay instead?
>>
>>1109569
why?
>>
>>1109997
>she doesn't like dirt paths with bumps and such.

That sounds extremely casual and whinny, and pretty sure she doesn't like riding fast because that makes her sweat, so basically if you ride with her you are doomed to granny rides, and if you go alone for some serious riding, she will start whining about how you spend your time with bikes and not with her.
>>
File: IMAG0899.jpg (1.01 MB, 1547x1300)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
I have all the parts I need to build a pretty good CX bike, I just need a canti-compatible frame and fork to put it on. I am on a budget (~$350), where should I be looking? The only new frame I have found that is halfway decent and in my price range is the Planet X Alloy CX, however it is disc only. Framesets on ebay are extremely overpriced. Any help on places to look would be appreciated.
>>
File: RS.jpg (1.51 MB, 3072x2304)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>1110104
I just searched "cyclocross frame" on the bay and the first page of results shows a bunch of options under $275 with shipping if you don't need anything unusually large or small. If you need to go cheaper than that, you should be looking locally (shops, swap meets, craigslist). Paying retail prices anywhere will cost you a bunch.

If you want to go really, really cheap, almost any bike with canti studs can be turned into a fun cyclocross machine - you could get riding sooner by putting your parts on a mediocre frame for now then upgrade the frame later. I used a Shogun touring frame as the base for a CX/gravel bike for a couple years and had lots of great rides on it before I upgraded to something lighter with a shorter wheelbase.
>>
File: Felt_Bicycles_F40x.jpg (99 KB, 900x643)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
http://www.feltbicycles.com/Canada/2016/Bikes/cross/fx-16/F40x.aspx

Thinking about saving up for this bike. I'd be riding it to work and for fun - how much am I limiting myself in regards to speed by getting a cyclocross bike instead of a road bike? I wanna go fast, but I won't be riding an expensive road bike to and from work every day.
>>
File: 100bike2-001.jpg (47 KB, 604x395)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Its been a year and I still want a fat bike, literally just to ride up to the store and the gym that is like 5 blocks away.
I still have my cx bike for any real distances, along with my road bike for summer and my cruiser with a basket I use right now for the gym and store

... any thoughts on the felt dd70 fat bike?
only $1300 for a bike I will only use during the winters for going to the gym, store and occasional dates when my gf who doesnt actually ride but has a mtn bike and wants to ride with me.
>>
>>1110196
you can still go more or less the same speeds with a cx bike. The real difference is that the bigger tires require a little more effort to push, not much mind you but its there. Thing is even a felt bike is a name brand people will notice and steal if they get a chance. you could get something used without the name brand on it for cheaper and it will do the same thing. Then you can have your expensive bike for the weekends and the beater for work. just my 2 cents
>>
>>1110196
It's really dumb to get a cross bike over a road bike unless you want to ride gravel, tour on it, or don't care about going fast. Numerous minor concessions add up.

I don't get your logic about riding an expensive cross bike over riding an expensive road bike to work.
>>
>>1110227
I just thought a cyclocross bike would be more durable as far as putting a lock on it and leaving it for the day goes. But I see how that can be stupid, and my city is full of undesireables who would steal a bike. I guess I'm leaning back to a road bike now considering I won't likely be riding it off road.
>>
>>1108847
MEME
E
M
E
>>
>>1110208
You could get a 90s rigid MTB to do the same and save a thousand bucks
>>
How bad of an idea is it to buy a super cheapo bike off Amazon? I'm using an old beat up hybrid bike right now with a broken back brake and super sketchy gears so it feels like anything I can buy would be an upgrade. My girlfriend bought the local equivalent of a Walmart bike for about $250 and it actually feels nicer to ride than what my bike does, so I assume it can't be that shitty as long as I get a bike with Shimano components?

All the bikes in my local store start at like $600 for the cheapest model which is a bit hefty for me right now, I only need something for commuting to college and riding for fitness on 90% pavement and 10% gravel roads.
>>
>>1110737
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Falcon-Monza-Alloy-Hybrid-Orange/dp/B01FANCKAE

I'm looking at something like this, doesn't look all that impressive to be honest but it should be decent enough for the price.
>>
>>1110739
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vilano-Aluminium-Road-Speed-Black/dp/B015J4LT1K

Or this, this one looks like a better buy but it probably won't hold up too well on gravel. Am I better off just getting something like this and just replacing the tires to higher quality ones if they end up sucking dick?
>>
Felt z95 2013 for commuting, 200 bucks. Should I go for it?
>>
>>1110746
if its in good shape and well maintained then yeah, pretty good deal
>>
>>1110740
>>1110739
>>1110737
don't buy a bso
something like trek fx or a giant escape is not too expensive and will be made pretty well
if your beat up old hybrid is a decent brand and has good components, it can probably be brought back to life for less than the price of a new bike
most of the time all older bikes need is new bearings, new rubber, a new chain and adjusting everything properly
>>
remember no gears is better than cheap gears.
>>
>>1110739
>>1110740
I've been riding for 2 years on a Chinese singlespeed with drops and brakes that I bought new for 150$, and I totaled maybe $50 in maintenance.

If your price range is sub 400 dollars its better to buy a bike without gears. Cheap gears break.
>>
>>1110751
Thanks mate
>>
Also if you buy cheap Chinese bikes, don't go with Aluminium or Carbon. Always go for steel. Sure they may be heavier, but they're the least likely to break for chinese standards.
>>
>>1110756
I might look into it but I'm pretty sure having a singlespeed is going to be a gigantic pain in the ass for long rides, I want to ride at least 30-50 km and even more than that when I get in better shape.
>>
https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/mountain-bike-trek-820/6308471817.html

Is this good? Just to ride around town. I'm 5'10'' I think
>>
>sell bike
>buyer wants refund because buyers remorse
what the actual fuck
>>
>>1110848
pls reply
>>
>>1110848
It's not a great bike, but it's still a pretty good deal. Just make sure everything works, seems suspiciously cheap
>>
>>1110859
Hmmm I see, thanks!
>>
hey guys

thinking of buying a new bike so that i can go to the uni
it's a 6~7km ride

is there any recommendation you guys can make regarding brands, wheel size, etc

i'm in São Paulo btw
>>
>>1110883
>>1110883
get a gun
>>
>>1110884
i live in the good part of the city and will move only through it
>>
>>1110883
Become a gay prostitute for long enough to afford a small older model Mercedes.
>>
I'm gonna buy my first bike since childhood at Wal-Mart for about 150 dollars

Yell at me
>>
>>1110848
No, it's pretty shit. Get one of these instead:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/gary-fisher-montare-hybrid/6312449604.html
https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/bridgestone-mb3-comp-mountain/6309610786.html
https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/90s-marin-hawk-hill-mountain/6313080085.html
>>
File: 1405635341317.jpg (211 KB, 916x500)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
I'm looking to pick up a mountain bike for general cruising and street trials. Any suggestions?

>90's
>prefer rigid
>disc brakes
>>
What's the absolute cheapest singlespeed I can buy in Europe without it falling apart? Because my current bike is about to fall apart so I just need something temporary to use until I can afford something better and all the used bikes around here in this price range are old age rusty and probably won't be any better than just buying something new.
>>
>>1111004
Bikes don't fall apart. Fix your shit.
>>
My local bike store is having a clearance on two identical hybrid bikes, except that one has front suspension and one doesn't. I assume that the model without suspension will be better for a majority of my rides being on pavement but also some light trail and gravel riding?
>>
>>1111019
yeah
>>
>>1111019
Good suspension > no suspension > shit suspension
Find out how decent the suspension fork is and make your decision based on that. Also remember that a suspension fork is much heavier than a rigid one, so unless you plan on riding through rather chunky trails, it won't do you much good.
>>
>>1111027
I'm going to buy a proper mountain bike later for riding in chunkier terrain, this bike is just for commuting and long distance fitness rides
>>
>>1111028
I'd go with the rigid fork one then.
>>
>>1111003
90s rigids aren't going to have frames that can handle dick brakes
you don't really need them either for general cruising
>>
>>1110756
>>1110752
At what level do they stop being BSOs? Vilano has a $350 bike with Claris group except the crankset (generic square taper), and a $280 bike with Tourney group same exception, is it just the quality of the frame then? I've seen a review where the seat tube bolt snapped on their bottom end bike but maybe it's just a game of risk with QA?

Also brands I thought were bso-tier seem to have decent stuff too like Schwinn and Diamondback, is there a clear $$$ threshold or just when the Shimano parts get a subtitle is it ok?
>>
Is Shimano Tourney actually bad or is it just not good? What's the difference between low end and high end stuff?
>>
>>1102261
>I'm afraid of being judged by the normies as being a loser for riding a bike instead of driving,
Don't bother, cycling is not for you child
>>
File: 547.jpg (154 KB, 1470x849)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
How likely is it that you can fit bigger tires on a run of the mill hybrid bike like this, more along the lines of a mountain bike tire? I'm going to pick up a cheapo hybrid bike now and then repurpose it into a winter commuter when I upgrade to something nicer like a cyclocross or gravel bike. Or should I just get regular road bike tires with studs?
>>
>>1111182
Rigid
Rhine stoned
Ripped jeans wearing
Flannel jacketed
Leather vested
Saved by the Bell watching
90s
Mountain bike
>>
>>1111099
More speeds, less grams. I have Tourney TX 8-speed on my mtb and it shifts gears when you click the shifter. I don't know what else to say.
>>
>>1111187
Nope, the used market around here sucks nuts and I want something that's faster than my current bike which is an old shitty hybrid
>>
>>1111182
You won't fit full size mtb tires on it. If you want proper fenders you will be even more limited. About 40mm with fenders is typical in my experience.

Schwalbe marathon winter 35mm for better rolling.
Suomi tyres hakkapeliitta w240 40mm for best grip in winter conditions.
>>
>>1111197
Yeah, I've done some more reading and I'll probably give the marathon winters a try, I probably won't take the bike if there's an extreme amount of snow that hasn't been plowed anyways.
>>
Since there's no BQG I guess I'll ask here
When I put the front wheel on my bike's fork, it doesn't sit on the dead center. If I spin the wheel, it's perfectly straight, yet when I install it, it's a bit skewed. So far I'm just eyeballing it and lifting it a couple of mms on one side so it's straight, works great, but I'm afraid this could damage the fork ends (it's a carbon fork). Is this something I should be worried about?
>>
>>1111003

Trek 930/950/970
Bianchi Peregrine/Grizzly/Super Grizzly
Bridgestone MB-2/MB-1/MB-0
Parkpre Team925/Pro825
Univega Alpina
Bontrager Privateer/Race/RaceL
Specialized Stumpjumper
anything Ritchey
>>
I am looking for a touring bike that can and will carry me through Germany and the Netherlands. I have about 1000€ available for that.
Any recommendations other than "don't buy cheap amazon bikes"?
>>
>>1111324
Jamis aurora or Fuji Touring best cheap options. Salsa Vaya or a specialized if you want to spend more.
>>
File: 2.jpg (211 KB, 1920x1080)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>roadside find
it's stolen, isn't it?

pic unrelated
>>
>>1111331
I have heard good things about the Fuji already, the amount it is shilled is almost suspicious. But thank you, I will look for shops selling it to me for cheap.
>>
>>1111335
Check out Kona bikes too, they have a huge selection for all purposes and budgets
>>
>>1111335
There are a lot of other good touring bikes & good bikes to tour on. Bikes in general are rarely bad, it's more about what's suited to your riding.
Consider, if you want to load it very heavily, you want something with a long wheelbase (look at the gap between the seattube and the rear wheel) like a surly lht, and if you will tour relatively light, then this will make the bike ride kind of dead and handle slowly.
If you're heavy or riding rough surfaces you want as wide tires as you can fit, atleast 35c, if you're riding wet weather you want space for fenders too. If you're light, loading light or riding only nice roads, then 32s or even 28s might be better.
A lot of newer bikes have 2x or 1x now, which have the advantage of probably coming with sti shifters, which could be great to make the bike easier to ride, but they probably won't have as low gearing as something with barends or dt & a triple.
>>
>>1111295
I know the Trek 7xx MultiTrack line is on 700c but how about the 8xx line?
>>
>>1111324
Basically anything you can buy in that budget will be good, I'd just go to the local bike store and try some models out.
>>
Whelp lads, I just ordered a new bike, a hybrid. I don't even know if it's going to be better than the one I have since I bought literally the cheapest new bike that the store carries but it was on a 50% sale.

I've had my current bike for like at least 6-7 years so I assume that cheapo bikes haven't exactly gotten worse during that time period as long as you buy something with Shimano components, which I did.
>>
>>1111410
Should be just fine if it has a shimano groupset.
You really should have gone to dropbars though.
>>
>>1111416
Yup, it has Shimano Alivio and Tourney. It has ProMax V brakes though but the brakes on my current bikes are completely busted so it can't exactly be worse than that.

I'm going to go for drop bars when I have a proper budget to work with, at least $800-1000, because there aren't any drop bar bikes in the sub $3-400 range where I live. I want to get a cyclocross or gravel bike since I ride a lot on both forest and gravel trails and pavement, I don't really think I'm going to need a proper road bike unless I start competing, and I want to start doing triathlons so a cyclocross or a proper tri bike will work better for me.
>>
best bike for city riding is hybrid, right
>>
>>1111452
There are different kinds of hybrids.
>>
>>1111458
what kinds?
where can i learn more about them?
>>
>>1110707
pls help me
>>
>>1111452
No, it's a road bike with thicker tires
Perhaps an endurance bike or cx bike

The hybrid meme needs to die
The
>>
>>1111485
>The hybrid meme needs to die
>The
the what?
>>
>>1111485
a road bike with wider tires, v brakes, flat bars, oldschool mtb gearing, soft saddle, rack mounts and different geometry

>>1111452
bars are too wide for filtering traffic, best city bike is a 90s road bike
>>
>>1111519
>>1111485
ok i misread your post disregard
>>
File: screenshot.png (1.88 MB, 1293x735)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
$400 used, 20 gear tiagra good deal?
>>
>>1111522
i get the feeling this bike might have been ridden more than once if it didn't have a 130mm stem
>>
https://mankato.craigslist.org/bik/d/80s-sanwa-sport-lx-3000-mens/6274499136.html

Would this be a decent bike/deal to dip by toe into having a roadie?

Usually put in around 2500 miles a year on my hybrid and fatbike but don't know if that justifies dropping serious coin for a road bike.
>>
>>1111530
steel rims, avoid.
>>
>>1111536

Is it just stopping that sucks with them or is there other things? Heavy?
>>
>>1111539
stopping, accelerating, turning, slow speed everything, high speed everything. And if you do go over some rough stuff, steel bends BADLY. My 29er back wheel barely bent when I hucked it like 6ft down and embankment the day I got it. Shop said they don't want to tweak aluminum, and it damage wasn't so bad. An old school steel wheel would have probably got me hurt.
>>
>>1111187
I cant tell you how much I appreciate this post.
>>
>>1111545

Right on, thanks for the input.
>>
>>1111554
yeah also its 27" so you won't be able to get any good tires.
>>
>>1111452
Depends on your budget, for lower budgets you get a better bike by going for a hybrid but for higher budgets I'd go with a cyclocross or adventure bike.
>>
>>1111555

Cool, what about this guy?

https://mankato.craigslist.org/bik/d/1978-raleigh-super-course-12/6226285321.html
>>
>>1111559
>>1111555

And I guess the Puch Cavette in this one

https://mankato.craigslist.org/bik/d/occ-harley-davidson-puch-amf/6272595353.html
>>
>>1111558
noob here. wtf is an adventure bike
>>
>>1111559
It's a good bike for that era. Probably quite comfy to ride. You better be atleast 6 foot though, it's large. $100 is more reasonable.

>>1111561
Shitty, again, 27" steel rims, hiten frame. Avoid bikes with stem shifters.
>>
>>1111565
Basically a road bike that's more comfortable to ride and can handle off road riding better than a road bike

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/217893-18-best-2017-gravel-adventure-bikes-%E2%80%94-super-versatile-bikes-are-home
>>
>>1111566

I'm 6'1 so that's no problem. I'll message him and see what happens.

Thanks for all your input, really.
>>
>>1111565
>noob here. wtf is an adventure bike

The latest branding for non racing CX bikes. Because calling them drop bar hybrids isn't attractive to bigger budgets, and they want a wider audience than calling them gravel bikes.

>>1111470
Hybrid is primarily a marketing term.

>>1111410
Incremental trickle down shimano improvements, and cheaper discs.

>>1111418
Yeesh. You probably should have gone used if given the chance.
>>
>>1111637
>Yeesh. You probably should have gone used if given the chance.
I've been looking used but I got this bike for half the price it cost new, all the used bikes around me in that price range are either rusty old city bikes that aren't fit to use for long rides over gravel or the frame size is too small for me, I'm 6'3.

I'll take a look used when I'm buying my next bike though and have a bigger budget to work me, someone on my local auctioning site is selling a Specialized Sirrus Expert Carbon X1 2017 for almost half the price it cost new.
>>
File: 20170923_125936.jpg (3.71 MB, 4032x3024)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB JPG
How much would you pay for this?

It's a 2009 city bike from a german manufacture and cost 1,2k € new, now listed for 750€.
Supposedly not driven much as it was a summer bike with the gimmick of being as white as possible. Looks pretty rad, well maintained and has Shimano Alfine 8-Speed and a hub dynamo.
Could be made even whiter as a pimp bike, I suppose...
>>
>>1111663
I don't know dude, the bike looks clean and really new. I don't see anything big enough to meke the guy lower the price because everything looks fine. Probably the shitiest thing about that bike are that fucking plastic pedals, so 750 sounds like a pretty final price, I don't know if you could ask a bit less, it basically depends on the guy and if he is in a hurry to sell it.

And about the bike, it looks like it has potential with wider tyres, another kind of bars, and a proper leather saddle.
>>
Im planning on buying this friday for general transportation needs such as going to work, buying food, going to AMPs/hooker locations and etc.

i live in the south, so snow is extremely rare, and even when it does snow we get less than a foot of it. however the locations where i do travel to really dont have dedicated bike lanes or even side walks most of the time, so ill be off roading on dirt and rocky trails over 50% of the time.

ive decided against the Super 73 and even against the Sondors. i dont want to spend anymore than $1500 for a bike, so is this radrover worth it?
>>
>>1111697
There are good reviews all around even snobby electric bike review really likes it. When you get it please post updates somewhere I was really interested in these as well
>>
>>1111761
i guess i can make a thread here on /n/ for it. it will be my first ebike tho so my input isnt hugely valuable.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.