[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 119 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: IMG_0948.jpg (1.82 MB, 4032x3024)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
"Gays, grannies, and grandes" edition

--> https://youtu.be/ilQHP8PgHWs

old thread: >>1095827
>>
File: IMG_2369.png (1.08 MB, 1536x2048)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>
>>1104437
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PIPERFAGS GO HOME!!!
>>
>>1104437

gaddafi got his ppl?
>>
I was practicing tight turns today and I started feeling sick after about 15 minutes of it. Any advice on how to minimize the effect? Does it become more tolerable over time? It was only my second time flying, as you may have guessed.
>>
>>1104692

Focus on the horizon with your eyes
>>
>>1104693
I do catch myself staring at the instruments rather than outside the cockpit quite a bit. I'll remember to focus more on the visual flight aspect next time.
>>
>>1104692
It gets better with more time and experience. Also yea, focus on the horizon.
>>
>>1104692
Spend a decade working in EMS staring at a computer screen and typing while facing backwards in a vehicle weaving through street traffic at highway speeds. Worked for me, at least.
>>
>get diagnosed with Glaucoma/vision issues while applying for 1st class medical
>Get deferred and receive letter that I must demonstrate ability, losing all solo privileges until the test
>Haven't flown in a while, and there's very few local CFIs who I can go up with to practice basic VFR skills before the test
I feel like I'm I'm going to fuck up my entire future with one ride. I've only flown about 5 or 6 times since I got my PPL
>>
>>1104742

You can find another flight school in the area to get a CFI to fly with?
>>
>>1104745
I'm in a 141 flight school, working on my Instrument rating now, but that's mostly IR stuff in the sim currently. Our instructors are so busy that none of them have any time to go with me. Might have to go with the chief pilot if he has time
>>
>>1104716
That's reassuring.
>>1104732
Sounds brutal, man. I don't get seasick on boats, but I bet I'd get sick doing that.
>>
I'm starting to get stressed out.

I failed my short and soft field landings last week during my private checkride. Since then, I've gotten my endorsement from my instructor and greatly improved my landings. But, I can't get shit scheduled with the DPE. Shit weather is coming in and all the days with good looking weather had strong ass winds. It's pissing me off because I don't want to keep pushing this back. I wish I was already starting in my fucking instrument rating right now.
>>
>>1104692
Are you coordinated?

I never had problems with steep turns, but rapid cross-control manoeuvres meant instant motion sickness for me.
>>
>>1104480
moar?
>>
File: 20170901_133106.jpg (2.33 MB, 4128x2322)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
Survived a fuel system failure in a helicopter today. Engine was starved of fuel, couldn't throttle past idle. Full down auto rotation into a field. Pic of cloged right tank main fuel line fitting.
>>
>>1105001

Git jeb, buddy.
>>
>>1105001
The hell is it clogged with?
>>
>>1105015
Thread sealant . I wasn't on the controls , I'm a flight test mechanic at a heli manufacturer. Me and a flight test pilot were on board at 1,000 agl about 10nm away from the airport performing the first flight of the ship
>>
>>1104443
no bully pipers
>>
>>1104857
you know short field landings are literally the exact same thing as normal landings except maximum effective braking and aerodynamic braking? I think they did away with simulated 50 foot obstacles like a decade ago.
>>
What callouts do your guy use for takeoff and climbout?

Some people seem to use none, others sound like regular airline pilots.
>>
>>1105082
>Tfw your flight school's runway is barely 2000' with obstacles in one end so every landing is a steep short field one.

I think there's a reason why we do so well with the checkride examiners.
>>
>>1105106
I call departing, but that's typically it unless ATC specifically requests me to make further calls.
>>
>>1105069
I probably shouldn't, seeing as I how I'm going to get my CPL in an Arrow.
>>
>>1104692
15 minutes is a long time to spend on any one maneuver. do a few turns and move on. repetition isn't helpful beyond that.
>>
>>1105001
wowie woowie. nice job not trashing the copter.
>>
>>1105082
Except when your POH specifies a different final approach speed. which it probably does.
>>
>>1105106
I typically only call them out loud if theres another pilot occupying a control station. when there is, i verbalize the following after receiving takeoff clearance.

>clear left (copilot: clear right)
when checking approach path for incoming aircraft
> cleared for takeoff ( or cleared to cross), runway niner right
said before passing any hold short line
> runway niner right confirmed
said when lining up on the runway. at this time check runway alignment against compass, and read the painted numbers if you can see them, set DG to runway heading.

then go full throttle and call
> tach checked
> oil pressure checked
> airspeed alive

in a single that's where I stop talking. rotation speed, initial climb speed, and cruise climb should have been covered in the departure briefing, so I don't call them out loud.

In a twin or complex I will call "gear up" and raise the gear when there is no runway remaining on which to land if there's an engine failure. this happens pretty quick on short runways, and takes a while on really long ones. basically I don't raise the gear at "positive rate," I wait until positive rate AND no remaining runway to land because I don't fly a jet with a v1.
>>
File: 1503273798938.jpg (80 KB, 922x692)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
What is a good series to lick up to study for my instrument rating? I passed my written test pretty easily while studying with Gleim. I am curious if it is worth the money to purchase Gleim' s instrument kit if it would be more worth while to go through some one else.

Also, where do you all flying from? I am lucky enough to be flying out of Honolulu.
>>
>>1104857
You do realize that with worse conditions the DPE can use discretion when grading maneuvers, right? If the maneuver exceeds standards they can still pass you if they see good decision making and prompt corrective action. It is up to the check airman to determine if your skills would be up to standards in an ideal scenario. Don't worry about it; be alert and recognize errors, and be prompt with the corrective action, and you should be just fine.
>>
>>1105106
Transponder, lights, runway HDG
Power indications (RPM >2300, no unusual engine noises)
Engine instruments in the green (oil pressure rise, RPM, MP if equipped)
Airspeed alive (~30kts airspeed will register)

There are more when I fly a multi but those are the main ones.
>>
>>1105285
For the instrument lazergrade I did the ASA prepware and as long as you no-shit study you should be good
>>
>>1105106

Pilot on side of runway: "Finals clear...
SIC: Runway three zero left, heading 3, 0, 1."

Pic "Checks." (As the aircraft is aligned and the runway is identified.)

Once aircraft is aligned, if SIC is going to be PF, then PIC transfers controls to SIC. e.g. "Your airplane" SIC responds with "My airplane." [This was decided at the gate, during the departure brief]

if PIC is PF, then generally after receiving take off clearance they just ask "Ready" and you can reply as you please... I usually reply with "ya, fuckin send it." or something similar.

so you get take off clearance

PF: Set thrust.
PM: Thrust set.

PM: 80 knots, thrust normal
PF: Checks

PM: V1
PM: Rotate...

PF: Positive rate, gear up
PM: Gear up.

at 400 ft AGL PF will call for either

"Heading." or "Nav."

at 1000 ft

PF: Flight level change speed ___ (generally 210) or Flight level change, speed FMS

PF: Flaps _
PF: Flaps 0

once flaps reach 0

PM: Flaps 0.

PF: Climb 1 (or nothing at all)

pretty basic
>>
File: 20170903_060636.jpg (2.13 MB, 4032x2268)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>tfw forgot to put the landing gear down
>>
>>1105517
They're winglets you upgraded it.
>>
>>1105517

You didn't really do that...
>>
>>1105517
There are those who have and those who will...
>>
I just passed my recheck for private!

:DDD
>>
>>1105689
GG m8
>>
Gouge question:
>You're SIC
>on ILS approach
>ceiling last reported at 200agl
>You hit minimums and are still in solid IMC
>You call "minimums"
>PIC keeps fucking going does not respond
What do you do?
>>
***Reminder***

Aviation > girls
>>
>>1105715
Was there ever any doubt about this?
>>
>>1105715
Why not both?
>>
>>1105727
Girls and technology do not mix
>>
>>1105728
Clearly they do
>>
>>1105495
Taking the runway: Lights on, squawks on, Time xx:xx

Throttle up: Good engines, good nozzles

At 50 kts: Airspeeds alive

100 kts: 100 knots

Two positive, gear up, flaps up.

Clean below 250.
>>
>>1105701
take control and overshoot.
>>
>>1105727

Overrated
>>
>be lineman at a large, privately owned FBO
>best job in the world when I first joined
>everyone was 19-23 years old, genuinely interested in aviation, and hot front desk girls/line hostesses
>we all worked as a team and hung out outside of work
>just a really enjoyable atmosphere

Fast forward several months

>summer is winding down
>coworkers moving on, start military careers, finish school
>need new linemen
>dumbfuck manager decides to hire a bunch of retirees and 60-85 year olds
>all of them clearly draw social security/retirement checks/disbility/etc and do not need the $10hr
>zero knowledge of anything aviation related
>half of them are fat and the other half can't work in the sun (this is FL btw)
>all of them take 20 minutes to fuel a bonanza
>usually they just sit inside and hide from work like the entitled fucks they are
>ruined the mood for the few remaining kids and forced them to leave
>it's now just me and a bunch of fat elderly idiots
>how to ruin a job 101

Fucking boomers I swear
>>
>>1105735
Okay, well, I'm a lesbian pilot, it's pretty fun
>>
>>1105689
Atta boi
>>
>>1105701
Take controls and initiate the missed. No room for suggestions and hinting to the PIC, ducking under is dangerous.
>>
>>1105749

What's that like?
>>
>>1105768
Pretty much just like being a pilot as a man I'd imagine except sometimes people assume you're not as capable because woman.
>>
>>1105773

I didn't mean being a female pilot. I meant being a lesbian pilot. Seeing as how there is already a low % of female pilots to begin with, is it hard for you to hook up/ with female pilots?
>>
>>1105106

I've only been in singles and light twins but here's my typical flow, after I'm at the hold short and all the pre-takeoff checks are complete. Runup is complete and you've briefed the takeoff, climbout and any immediate emergency plans:

Cleared for takeoff, either by clearing area and final (uncontrolled) or by Tower (controlled)

"Lights, Camera, Action" - Said Out Loud as you check them, details in greentext
>Lights - Landing and Strobes come on. Landing might be postponed for courtesy but make a verbal note
>Camera - Transponder set to ALT with correct code
>Action - Prop forward, Mixture Rich, Flaps set, Fuel Controls set (basically anything that applies to your takeoff, for example in a 172 doing a short field takeoff, you'd include the flaps set 10 but for a normal, you'd check the flaps are up)

Line up with the runway - Turn slightly towards the approach end to clear (probably for the 5th time at this point) final, verbally announce "Clear Final" then turn to align yourself with the runway. Double check magnetic compass aligns with runway

>>These next ones come pretty quick

(continued 1/2)
>>
>>1105777

(cont. 2/2)
Power Up - "Looks good, Sounds good" is my verbal acknowledgement that the engine instruments are indicating correctly and the engine sounds healthy and at the proper mixture setting. This could be done rolling or while on the brakes, depending on the takeoff

"Brakes release, Rotate __" - Verbal, using whatever rotation speed. Typically it's right after the "Looks good, sounds good" check, and if it's a normal, rolling takeoff Brakes Release could be left off.

"Airspeed Alive" - Self Explanatory

"__, Rotate" - Using that rotation speed from earlier, announce it out loud and do it.

"Positive Rate, Tap the Brakes, Gear ____" - This has a nice little rhythm to it. That blank next to the gear depends on the airplane. If it's fixed gear, just say "Gear Fixed" if it's a retractable, "Gear Up"

"200 feet, Flaps up" - Normal takeoff just ensures that the flaps are up, Short or soft (at least in a 172) this ensures that the flaps come up. it should be noted this is AGL, not MSL

"_____ feet, Clear ____, ____________" - Basically starting your climb here. For example in a normal traffic pattern, you'd say "700 feet, Clear Left, Turning Left" where if you're departing on a heading, say you took off on 18 and are departing on a heading of 135 you'd say "1000 feet, Clear left, Heading 135".

"Climb Checklist" - And do the climb checklist as time permits.

--------------------------------

The principle of it all is that you're saying it as you're doing it. That way if you say one thing but briefed another earlier, your mind will give you a "HOLD IT SOMETHING ISNT RIGHT" then you adapt accordingly.

Feel free to rip me because I'm working on my CFI at the moment and if I'm doing something wrong I'd rather fix it now.
>>
>>1105762
>>1105734
But would you wrestle for control 100ft agl when you cant see shit? This was a question that was brought up to me and I answered the same as you fwiw but it wasnt the answer they wanted
>>
>>1105782
well it's either that or die trying.
>>
>>1105820
I should clarify that you only called out "minimums" to the PIC.

I want to see if anyone else comes to the conclusion they were looking for
>>
>>1105782
Yeah, sit there, shut up and enjoy the crash. When you reach minimums, and you do not have the required visual contact, call for the missed approach immediately. If he does not comply you either step in and take control or you're along for the ride.
>>
>>1105701
Plan B, amigo.
>>
>>1105832
>call for the missed approach immediately
yup thats the big thing they wanted to hear. Idea is that it covers your ass if he does descend below minimums and still lands or hopefully he realizes he'd have some explaining to do and executes the missed procedure. If he's legit gone crazy you're fucked either way though
>>
>>1105775
Oh, I have a girlfriend so that's not really an issue. My bad.
>>
What were the minimums for precision and non-precision approaches again? 600 and 800 respectively? AGL and 2 statute miles?
>>
>>1105883
The minimums to file as an alternate are 600-2/800-2, precision and non precision respectively. If you are referring to actual minimums to conduct an approach it defined in the TPPs (on the chart).
>>
Just bought a ticket to Chicago in basic economy class...its a relatively short flight but i haven't been on a plane in almost 10 years and I'm nervous. Any advice for flight jitters?
>>
File: 1504321563877.jpg (587 KB, 2518x1024)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
What are your thoughts on home computer flight simulators? Are they worth the money or are they a giant waste? If they are worth it, what would you recommend?
>>
>>1105904
I used to have a fear of flying on commercial airliners as well, but that fear quickly faded once I realized just how incredible the planes we ride on in the modern age truly are. The engines readily producing tens of thousands of pounds of thrust, the wings so strongly affixed to the plane that you would sooner receive a concussion from hitting the ceiling than see them break off during hard turbulence, and the pilots put in charge of the aircraft—worth so many millions of dollars—have experienced thousands of hours flying and received vigorous training. Frankly, being able to get on such a vehicle for the price charged is incredible. With all that in mind, I find it quite easy to kick back (as far as you can in these damn tuna-can seats anyway) and enjoy the view from as high in the air as you might ever go. Bring a book or laptop or whatever to occupy yourself and the flight will be over before you know it.
>>
>>1105826
First of all as pnf you're the one who is supposed to be searching for the runway. Minimums means you're at mins... It does not mean that you do or don't have the runway in sight. Its your job to state loudly and clearly "minimums, go around!" or prior to reaching mins "runway in sight, 12 o'clock" so that pf can transition to visual as they should have been heads down. Furthermore the fact that the weather is at mins or could be should have been briefed on your arrival and approach briefing to include the missed approach point and instructions. Doing a go around on the line in a jet isn't easy and it all comes down to planning and mental preparation so you aren't fumbling through your callouts.
>>
>>1105919
This pretty much sums it up well. There is no real need to fear flying, especially in the United States.
>>
>>1105904

>basic economy

I don't think you're allowed a carry on bag
>>
>>1105904
Just think about how safe modern planes are, how plane crashes are extremely rare and fatal ones are even more rare. Flying is a pretty amazing thing, the fact that we can get a several hundred thousand pound hunk of metal in the air defying gravity; that's usually what I'm thinking about when I fly, just how amazing it is that we can fly at all, taking in the scenery below me. Also watching the ground crew, thinking about what the pilots are doing, stuff like that. Having a few drinks helps too if nothing else.
>>
File: IMG_2563.jpg (44 KB, 500x310)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1105904

Just think when you board your United Airlines flight about how long they've been around. They've been flying routes since 1940. Look at how modern and advanced their current aircraft are and just think of all the safety features airplanes have now that they didn't have before. Pic
>>
>>1105568
Bullshit
>>
>>1105701
Are you in Alaska? If yes fly that shit down bitch
>>
>>1105715
Would you stop? Unoriginal.
>>
Here's a question for y'all. Next year is looking to be one of time building, and I'm looking to possibly purchase my own time building aircraft to get me that much closer to 1500.

Does anyone here have any experience with Comanche 250's? They seem like a fuckload of airplane for barely more than a 172 of similar vintage.

>>1105904
Stop being such a pussy. You're orders of magnitude more likely to die driving to the airport.
>>
File: Avro_Lancastrian_BOAC.jpg (405 KB, 1654x1075)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
>>1106001
BOAC now BA.
>>
>>1106115
>>
what would be the best sport camera to use when flying a plane?

I really want to get the sony fdr-x3000 cause i heard it has great stabilization, but it has an awkward shape/head mount, and I really don't think it'll mix well with the headset. Should I just get a gopro?
>>
>>1106086
I hope you prove me wrong.
>>
File: AT-802-Firefighter.jpg (28 KB, 688x279)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
How does one get into aerial firefighting? Anyone done it or know people who have? I'm guessing its all about who you know (just like any flying job) in order to get in, but what kind of minimums or experience you think they want?
>>
>>1104435
>general aviation thread
>posts airline picture for OP

What the fuck, how retarded are you
>>
>>1105701
>>1105734
>>1105762
>>1105839
I know this one, learned from my instructor. All you do is key the mike and say "N12345, going around."

If he continues the approach, granted you are in a towered field, he's fucked. Wrestling for controls at low alt is just a sure fire way to slam yourself into the ground or worse.

>>1106089
This is also a valid answer.
>>
>>1106222
general [jen-er-uh l]: of or relating to all persons or things belonging to a group or category
>>
>>1105903
Yeah, yeah, that's it. Thanks.
>>
>>1106241
>or worse
Not really sure what can be worse than plowing your plane into the dirt my man.
>>
>>1106260
General aviation refers to civil aviation not scheduled passenger service on commercial aircraft.
>>
Starting Instrument Rating tomorrow! :D
>>
I wonder what life is like for ATC who staff towers at large airports with little activity. KVCV and KSBD come to mind
>>
File: 1344477366198.jpg (78 KB, 960x717)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Does anybody else ever wonder what it was like flying back in the early days, back before the FAA stuck their tendrils into every single aspect of aviation and sucked the joy out of everything?
>>
>>1106468
Back when aircraft were affordable and changing the seat didn't put you at risk of flying an uncertificated craft...
>>
>>1106241
das it man.
>>
>>1106468
>back before the FAA stuck their tendrils into every single aspect of aviation and sucked the joy out of everything?
Then the CAA stuck their tendrils into every single aspect.
>>
>>1106260
GA is specifically non airline
>>
just did my first RNAV and ILS landings today. God damn, Instrument is way more fun than private!
>>
Anyone got any tips for a poorfag looking to get his PPL then CPL? Always wanted to fly and did a few times in the air cadets but pretty fucked for options in going forward, I've seen you can get loans but most require a house to secure as collateral which I don't have. I'm UK as well
>>
>>1106793

Doesn't British Airways sponsor training?
>>
>>1106800
Its "under review" right now. They've got another sponsorship running with APL right now but that requires an £84,000 bond, I don't even have £840 let alone that much, sucks balls
>>
>>1105018
This is why you do your own maintenance. You've got nobody to blame but your own self, so you can prevent from making lazy mistakes.
>>
>>1106774
>instrument
>fun
>>
>>1105905
Bearing in mind that a sim is just a sim, they are SO. MUCH. FUN. I absolutely love mine, and fly with it whenever I get the chance. FSX:SE gets a bad rap, but there are lots of legit pilots and ATCs in there.
>>
>>1107078
instrument is fun if you git gud
>>
>>1105905

To jump off of what >>1105905 is saying;

FSX:SE is probably the best option right now. X-Plane has better aerodynamic simulation, but the accessibility is pretty terrible in comparison.
There is Flight Sim World (FSW) that you can look at as well, though it's one of those early releases and I have a feeling it's going to become "Just buy the DLC of what you want to fly, we're not going to do anything like extra content!"
>>
>>1107078
Even for my PPL, hood time has been my favorite. Nothing satisfies my autism quite like keeping each and every needle and gauge exactly where it belongs.
>>
File: IMG_4611.jpg (24 KB, 417x334)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
I just met up with my friend's father who's a jetBlue captain who has 24,000TT, and told him I got my Private finally. He congratulated me and told me as soon as I get the minimum hours for jetBlue to contact him and said "I will go talk to whoever I have to, I don't care who. But I will get you a job. You would be an excellent candidate." .... mfw
>>
>>1107100
I am good at it, but fuck instrument. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't require constant communication and handoffs to different towers and centers.
>>
>>1107177
But anon, the radio work is half the fun!
>>
File: 1375997664777.png (12 KB, 499x393)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>1107179
>>
>>1107181
>He doesn't talk on the radio like a pro and cut up like a mother fucker.
>>
>>1107182
This guy gets it. Years of public safety work and time on the Coast Guard channels has left me with a radio voice fit for the USAF in the 60s or the Navy in the 80s.
>>
>>1107140

This is literally me. I get super focused trying to keep the needles lined up. When I hit minimums and take foggles off and see that runway right in front of me, I get excited. So focused!
>>
>>1107160

> airbus
> side stick
> auto thrust
>>
File: er2017.png (969 KB, 1282x1038)
969 KB
969 KB PNG
Embry-Riddle evacuating their aircraft from Florida at the moment.
>>
>>1107160
>yfw he gets you a job working the ticket counter at an airport
>yfw he fucks your girlfriend later
>>
>>1107177
>shootan approaches at rando airfield
>talking with Memphis Center
>after RNAV, get vectors for ILS
>get penalty vectored for no reason
>entire approach took 35 minutes
>request vectors for localizer on climb out
>"sorry we can only vector you for the ILS not the localizer"
>lolwut
>just dove and drove to the MDA on a "modified glideslope"
>penalty vectored again on climbout home

Fucking Memphis
>>
>>1107272

it's a good thing I don't have a girlfriend!
>>
What the hell is an RNAV ILS? 737 FO here, do you mean an RNAV star to an ILS?
>>
>>1107315
He means he shot an RNAV approach and then wanted to do an ILS
>>
There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.

But there are no old bold pilots
>>
>>1107322
Lies told to you be pansies.

Fortune favors the bold, my friend.
>>
>>1107326

really? :0
>>
File: IMG_1567.jpg (100 KB, 575x840)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>1107264
Lol it's not the first time and it won't be the last
>>
>>1107280
>>1107280
Tf is a "penalty vector"
>>
>>1107240
This. People suggest I should go for JetBlue, too, but nothing makes me shudder harder than the idea of my peak career track being hauling jewish grandmothers from NYC to FL in a fucking A320.

At least with Southwest, you fly to less annoying places and get that sweet, sweet 737 action.
>>
>>1107335
When you're being an asspain requesting practice approaches when you could just cancel and be VFR. They will vector you to shelf you for a minute while they take care of people that aren't being a pain in the dick.
>>
File: IMG_2598.jpg (96 KB, 750x932)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
God speed
>>
File: IMG_0009.jpg (1009 KB, 1534x1957)
1009 KB
1009 KB JPG
>>
>>1107366
>Implying the NOAA pilots haven't spent the past week fencing each other, Highlander-style, with their raging erections over who gets to fly this one
>>
>>1107369
Will they still fly Hurricane Hunter flights now that it's within radar range of Key West?
>>
>>1107369

He just disappeared....

Could the hurricane disrupt his transponder? Or did he crash..
>>
>>1107374

One is/was in the air as of 15min ago. But he just disappeared on the map
>>
>>1107375
>>1107377

Probably just transponder BS
>>
>>1107375
>>1107377
Rip In Pepperoni
>>
File: IMG_2599.jpg (3.56 MB, 3024x4032)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
>>1107387
>>1107389

He made it!

Just popped back up here. I guess the static power of the storm may have blocked his transponder?
>>
File: Plane Lives!.jpg (116 KB, 1480x881)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>1107391
yay
>>
File: IMG_1481.png (110 KB, 330x270)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>1107392
>>
>>1105110
Ayy me too
>>
>>1107399
On the bright side, at least I'll be well-prepped if I decide to get a Comanche 250 as my time-building toy.
>>
>>1107391
>>1107392

Online transponder tracking site fuckery strikes again!

I can't tell you how many times non-commercial traffic I follow randomly disappears and reappears.
>>
File: IMG_2600.png (300 KB, 1334x750)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
>05039G54KT
>>
>>1107401
GL my dude
>>
anymore updates on NOAA42 and NOAA49?
>>
File: IMG_2601.png (355 KB, 750x1334)
355 KB
355 KB PNG
>>1107406
>>
>>1107366
what website/program for that?
>>
>>1107410

www.flightradar24.com
>>
>>1107129
I appreciate the response. Would you find them to be worth while as far as a training aide goes? Especially going as far as buying the controls to go with it?
>>
>>1107404
At least I have a decent budget, haha
>>
>>1107414

Yes.

It will never be exactly the same but even if you just get a joystick it's amazing for practicing procedures, getting used to ATC phraseology/Procedures, Working on Instrument Approaches (when you get to that stage), and so on.

So if you get hooked on flying from the simulator (Like I did with Flight Sim 2002) you'll have a leg up on irl flying
>>
>>1107160
All talk untill it happens. Getting an airline job is tough as hell in normal market and no one can tell how long this current job market situation continues.

But contacts are important, I had none before I started training.
>>
>>1107240
>>1107339

You guys are rated on a 737 or a 320, I guess? Because flying the 320 is quite fun and I love it. Cockpit is spacious compared to a 737, oh we have ground speed mini function and there's nothing between your legs that doesnt belong there. Sure there are few french oddities but overall I enjoy flying the beast.

>>1107315
A320 fo here, I got it immediately :^)
>>
>>1107344
>>1107335
>>1107280

You can get long vectors for number of reasons. For example you are slower than others and mess up the traffic flow, or there are other more important traffic than your instru training going on etc

You know commercial planes like to fly with minimum fuel: at t/o we could have less than five minutes of extra fuel for the leg, if the flight time changes we might have to do in-flight replanning. Yeah we have contingency fuel, too, but it's nothing to brag about either.

Just easier to vector those out of the way who can give way.
>>
>>1107463
Does it talk to you in a stern British accent?

Who do you fly for?

I hopefully should have my ATP in a couple years, and *fingers crossed* Skywest will be hiring right around the time when they get their 1st MRJ's. If not, it'll probably be Republic. Know anything about E170s? The Concorde yoke and the HUD option seems to be about as good as it gets for a regional jet.
>>
>>1107461
And where did you end up? I have a couple friends of friends/family flying for Delta now, but I doubt it'd be enough to get me in the door once I get to that point in 5-7 years or so.
>>
File: 00001234654.jpg (321 KB, 500x667)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>1107441
Thanks again, I am going to go pull the trigger on this. I think this will has potential to help me greatly, especially finishing my private pilots license and going for my instrument rating in the not so distant future.
>>
How hard is it to meet girls in Aviation and gf one of them?
>>
>>1107463
Yes but airbus isn't a pilots machine when the aircraft does 90% of the work for you. Also when we depart behind you, do you mind climbing faster, because even when we climb at our econ speed above FL200 we overtake you
>>
>>1107463

>Sure there are few french oddities

Besides the pain au chocolat warming compartment, what else is there?
>>
>>1107585
Never date women within your obscure, male-dominated passion or hobby. They're never as into it or good at it as you are, and once the inevitable long term relationship drudgery settles in, you'll have nowhere to escape to when you need to blow off steam.
>>
>>1107600
>They're never as into it or good at it as you are,

That's not true at all, sorry your one and only date ever with a female pilot went badly

>the inevitable long term relationship drudgery

That's how relationships are, they're not wild sex and parties 24/7, it's mostly going to work and cleaning and grocery shopping and paying bills. Especially as a pilot, you're gonna be away from home all the time for work.
>>
>>1107485
>>1107486

Not gonna name the legacy I work for, sorry :)

But I was rated on an embraer earlier and liked the cockpit and the plane as well. Love the idea of the hud - pissed that my company didnt get huds for our new 321s, IIRC there was a possibility to get them on planes.

>>1107590

Nah :^) flying is fun be it stick or yoke. Handling the side stick takes some time getting used to but nailing the landing in some bumpy x-winds is sooo satisfying.
>>
>>1107657
That's awesome to hear. Gunning for Republic is going to be my #1 priority over the next two or three years, it's good to hear that people like flying their fleet.

I know when I fly domestic, JetBlue's E190s are some of my favorite aircraft to fly in as a passenger. Is there much difference flying a regional-sized E-Jet compared to the 190s?
>>
>>1107662

>Gunning for Republic is going to be my #1 priority over the next two

Same! Except for Republic is my 3rd choice after PSA and Envoy
>>
>>1107678
What draws you to those two?
>>
>>1107696

Gaurenteed job with American Airlines

https://youtu.be/QtkUTjcFJz0
>>
>>1107699
I forgot about that little tidbit, haha. Part of me actually likes the flexibility of not being tied into a specific carrier, but I guess in two years when I'm actually near 1500 I'll give it more thought. Who knows what the market will be like then, anyways.

What I'm primarily interested in is decent pay and DCA basing. At least now, it seems like the regionals for the big three all pay well enough that even if you're stuck as a PiC for a few years longer than you want to be, at least you'll likely be making six figures doing it. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, though.
>>
>>1107709

>DCA

where are you? NoVA here
>>
>>1107608
hes not wrong senpai
>>
>>1107724
Across the Potomac and then some
>>
>>1107918

Are you the Delaware anon?
>>
Did anyone here attend the AOPA Fly-In at Norman Oklahoma?

I volunteered for the event and am still sunburned. Got a lot of cool swag though and saw a lot of cool planes.
>>
File: 20170909_073007.jpg (2.19 MB, 4032x2268)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
Qt refugees from Irma

These bitches were too tall for our tallest ladders that we had to park the trucks under the wings and climb on top of the trucks to fuel them
>>
>>1108021

L-lewd
>>
>>1108021
im always amazed pilots can land with those tiny little wheels.
>>
>>1108036
when you look at the design of the back of the float, you realize you'd have to be at a pretty crazy angle in your flare to scrape
>>
Working on Flight Lesson Plans at 3 am because I can't sleep and don't want to sleep woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Anyone have any finer points I could add?
>>
>>1108063
Passed my CFI flight test.
>>
>>1108150
Nice.

I'm looking in the first half of October to take the checkride. And the school I'm with is hurting for flight instructors (there's a waitlist for student/instructor assignments) so it'd be nice to actually get money while in an airplane for once.
>>
>>1108150

Congratulations!
>>
>>1108237
Who flew through Irma today?
>>
>>1108249
Not directed at you. meant as a general question

also>>1108150
Congrats!
>>
>>1108063
Do it in LaTeX not M$ Word
>>
>>1108286
This, it's well worth the extra effort to add an air of professionalism to it, even if LaTeX looks a bit nerdish. This is also a useful resource: http://practicaltypography.com/
>>
What the hell is a Cogscreen AE. Fucking FAA and their made up words.
>>
>>1108063
some countries have their specific emer descent procedures. Of course you're talking about c172 here but if your students end up flying internationally some day with airlines better to say that this presented here is our local emer descent procedure for c172/single engine piston a/c.
>>
>>1108286
there is literally no reason for latex unless you are publishing a math paper where every page is 3/4 filled with formulas and graphs, you fucking neckbeard

go back to /g/
>>
>>1108584
It's easier to maintain in the long run
>>
>>1108584
i use latex because references management is much better and the source references files are all plain text. if my computer crashed, i could recover it without obnoxious proprietary shit making it unreadable
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31 KB, 480x360)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
What do you guys think about this movie that's coming out?
>>
File: 20170904_140527.jpg (3.09 MB, 4032x2268)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
Post /gag/ish photos
>>
File: 2015-04-15 18.38.45 HDR.jpg (1.55 MB, 3264x2448)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>1108705

I want to see it. If anything to pick apart the script relating to airplanes.

Though Tom Cruise is a certified pilot so maybe he'd have got things together in the script.... Outside of the "Top of his class in Civil Air Patrol" line in the trailer just.... no understanding of what CAP does.

>>1108711
Gotta contribute 5 pictures for your request to be valid m8
>>
I saw Sully for the first time this weekend, man that shit seemed over-dramatized. I get that they need to make it a bit more exciting for the casual viewers, but I don't remember anyone accusing him of doing anything wrong
>>
>>1108728
The 'miracle on the Hudson' was a fantastic feat, but it made for a pretty shallow movie plot frankly. I'm honestly surprised they made a full-length movie out of it.
>>
>>1108705
My home town hero. I drive by where he was gunned down all the time.
>>
>>1108774
Damn, didn't know he died! Hell, didn't even know it was a true story
>>
>>1108711
Went to New Orleans last Thursday to escape hurricane Irma. Flight was fine except from my Arab co-pilot.

If one thing I've learned from that trip is, don't have arab co-pilots and don't fly with someone you don't fully trust in.
>>
>>1108785
>He didn't know about Barry Seal.
Damn, dude. You need to stop drinking fluoridated water.
>>
>>1108786
>don't have arab co-pilots
>>>/pol/
>>
File: IMG_2439.jpg (164 KB, 1600x1200)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>1108711
>>
File: IMG_2648.jpg (155 KB, 750x935)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>1108786

Was this him?
>>
>>1108812
Not him but you obviously have no experience with Arab or most other middle eastern pilots.
>>
File: image.jpg (1.65 MB, 4032x3024)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>1108711
>>
File: 2015-06-05 11.24.01.jpg (1.48 MB, 3264x2448)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>1108818
I feel like that's the required picture for everyone taking multi training
>>
File: 20170611_163857.jpg (1.22 MB, 4032x2268)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>1108816
>flew with afghani and saudi exchange pilots
>would call my mom before every flight to tell her I love her

How they ever made their way into a cockpit let alone out of their mud hut is beyond me. It's frightening to fly with them
>>
Does something like this happen in aviation: Like how a leaf falls. Vert ramp. U shaped swaying.
>>
>>1108818
What happens if you open the window above 145 mph?
>>
File: IMG_1685.jpg (1.56 MB, 2448x3264)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>1108835
You betcha
>>
>>1108862
it would be very painful
>>
>>1108916

You're a skilled multi pilot
>>
>>1108848

Post stories
>>
>>1108945
...for you
>>
>>1108947

Make sure you cancel your flight plan with the agency
>>
Instrument training is hard. My instructor says I'm doing a pretty good job, but I feel like I'm not doing well enough or up to my standards at least. Is this a normal feeling? I practiced a lot on my at home simulator and self studied a lot before my part 141 program so I feel like I should be doing better..but idk
>>
>>1108972
What about it messes you up? Instrument flying is mostly memorizing known pitch/power settings and then being able to plan and get ahead of the plane on what you need to do.
>>
>>1108815
Thank fuck no.

>>1108816
Literally, and I do mean LITERALLY everyone I have ever flown with despises Arab pilots to the bone. Keep in mind, my flight school has like 20-25 of these spoiled Saudis who are 80% sons of Sheiks. Their houses are disastrously messy, they stink of shitty Marlboros 24/7 and refuse to pay their flying bills even when they come to school in their red Ford Mustangs.

They are a danger to every living man in the air and on the ground. I could care less if they crash out in the middle of their shitty desert, I just don't want any pilots or families on the ground getting carbonized because some 'tard flatspinned whilst taking selfies.

>>1108848
Sounds a bit like my experience as well.
>>
>>1108972
You're probably fine. I don't know anyone including myself who didn't hit a hard slump somewhere in instrument flying. Take a few days break if you're able and just decompress a little bit. Do something not directly related to flying and you'll come back feeling much fresher than you realize now.

Also, ask another instructor if you can ride along in the back while another student practices IFR things. The backseat perspective is conductive to learning in its own way.
>>
>>1108972
>Instrument training is hard. My instructor says I'm doing a pretty good job, but I feel like I'm not doing well enough or up to my standards at least. Is this a normal feeling?

It's normal for people who have enough native talent and intelligence to become good at things, yeah.

You're doing great, just by wanting to do better than you are. That impulse is so, SO important...
>>
Since when ATR become a General Aviation aircraft? They said they're trying to sell the ATR42-600 in China for the emerging General Aviation market
>>
File: IMG_0762.jpg (1.94 MB, 4032x3024)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
Airline pilot checking in. Will answer 10 minutes of questions while eating ramen and drinking a Sapporo on a NRT layover
>>
>>1109194

How often do you consider suicide/mass murder your easy out?
>>
>>1109196
Zero. The job IS boring. But not that boring dude.
>>
>>1109198

Good to know.

Next question; what percentage of pilots would you estimate are drunk at the yoke?
>>
>>1109200
disclaimer: I fly for a US airline.

I'd estimate zero to .00000%

It would be a staggeringly low number. Now a cargo only outfit based in Eastern Europe or God forbid Africa... different story.
>>
>>1109203

disclaimer: I'm in the industry and I know better.

I suppose you are right to be terrified of publicly disclosing anything. But if you didn't secretly want to, you wouldn't be posting your shit to 4chan at all.
>>
>>1109204
I'm not. You clearly don't work in the industry. Or you fly for a shit tier outfit like Pinnacle or Mesa.

At the major (UAL/DAL/AA/FedEX) level,
No one is "drunk at the yoke". The FAA says BAC <.04 and most airlines throw in a <.02 in their FOM.

Yeah guys have shown up with a hangover, many times, but not drunk.
>>
>>1109205

If you're just here to jerk it, there are probably better opportunities where you are.
>>
>>1109204
I was more inclined to answer some legit questions i.e. What's the civilian vs military track to a major, how many days per month do you fly, what was your 2016 W2, that kinda thing.

But you're right, it is 4chan so I should have expected hurrrr are you guys drunk and how many FAs have you pounded on layovers
>>
>>1109206
I don't follow
>>
>>1109206
Huh?
>>
>>1109207
>What's the civilian vs military track to a major, how many days per month do you fly, what was your 2016 W2, that kinda thing.

Literally nobody cares.
If they did, they certainly wouldn't need your insight.
>>
>>1109210
Do you service the lav?
>>
>>1109210
What do you care about ?
>>
>>1109212

Bikes and trolling.
>>
>>1109213
Bikefags are the worst part of this board, I hope someone clips your stupid shitty fixie with their door and kills you
>>
>>1109214

It's been fun. Safe travels, anon.
>>
>>1109083
How do they even pass their checkrides? By crying racism when they fail?
>>
>>1109207
I'm on the civilian track, am I crazy for doing this as an alternative to becoming a MD/NP/PA? (I'm completely burned out on healthcare, that industry is the Titanic and they struck the iceberg over a decade ago and I'm thrilled to be getting out of it).

I love flying and commercial sounded like a fantastic place to transfer my skillset of keeping my head about me in a somewhat dysfunctional industry where you deal with 99.9% bullshit, 0.1% "oh, shit", and if you fuck up, you kill people.

What was your last W-2, how long did it take you to get there, what's your favorite jet to fly, and once again, am I crazy for doing this? Also, is the looming pilot shortage a stupid meme, or is there about to be major opportunities at the majors over the next decade (all economic factors aside)?
>>
>>1109205
>>>1109204
>No one is "drunk at the yoke". The FAA says BAC <.04 and most airlines throw in a <.02 in their FOM.

I work for an European outfit, our manuals have zero policy for alcohol. Any amount in blood is a basis for a pink slip.

Somehow this >>1109194 feels like bragging for some reason, like this sky god can only give ten minutes for commonfolk. You're probably joking but it can come off as arrogant as fuck.

I fly a320 for a living, I'll answer questions if you guys have any. I wont answer any operator specific questions or similar, though.
>>
>>1108888
How's the Diamond, does it put hair on your chest in a simulated engine-out climb?
>>
>>1109230
Is this a joke?
>>
>>1109277
No not really
>>
>>1109277
An Aztec did tho
>>
>>1109230
Are you 9?
>>
>>1109194

Fuck, Marry, Crash

Republic Airways - PSA Airlines- Envoy Air
>>
>>1109318
What
>>
>>1109207

>how many FAs have you pounded on layovers

Genuinely curious tho... how many attractive women are you around in the airlines?

I'm not a bad looking guy. But my biggest problem is I'm never in an eviroment with women. One of my female friends literally told me once I get to the Airlines that I'll always have cute girls coming up to me, but I really have a hard time believing this.
>>
>>1109322

I guess you didn't get the reference... anyways, it just means which would you prefer in order from Love-Hate out of those 3 Airlines
>>
>>1109324
I banged less than 30. Pay child support for one.
>>
>>1109325
Roger that
>>
>>1109318
All 3 are bad
>>
>>1109326

I didn't really mean hooking up.

Just, is it actually easy to meet quality, attractive girls?
>>
>>1109324
If you fly for a US pax carrier, yes you will always have an easy lay.

Age and looks are an issue tho.
>>
>>1109330
Quality?

I've fucked 30. We have an industry term:
"Road Wife"

As in, she is your wife on the road (ie this trip) and when you go home to your actual wife, you forget about her.
>>
>>1109330
It's still fun tho. Don't discount that
>>
>>1109331
>>1109332
>>1109333

oh. Well shit.

I don't really have any interest in hooking up. So, I guess I'll just avoid those women then.
>>
>>1109335
Well just don't get one pregnant. FAs know the exact pay scale and progression.

Do NOT knock one up (casual fucking is fine tho)
>>
>>1109336

Fuck no I'm not going to knock one up. Having a kid is literally my biggest fear.

I'm not interest in casual sex tho. I'd just like to have a cute girlfriend
>>
Guys help I have a flight with the FAA for a medical issue. I have all my documentation for the plane EXCEPT for the Operating Limitations/POH/AFM. Thing is, I'm flying a 1974 172M, so this was before POHs were a thing. I also could not find and AFM, only a binder with W&B and an equipment list.

Am I breaking any regs? I'm stressing out about showing up and looking like an idiot in front of the examiner.
>>
>>1109336
>>1109333
>>1109332
>>1109331
>>1109326

What about bartenders/waitresses/tinder matches in layover cities? Random road tail sounds /comfy/ AF, but I have no interest in ever sticking my dick in someone who gets their paycheck from the same place that mine comes from.

Been there, done that, no desire to repeat it.
>>
>>1108851
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_leaf
>>
>>1109376

I think you need the book with the aircraft SN
>>
>>1109395

>Random road tail sounds /comfy/ AF

Do you really think that? it sounds like shit to me.
>>
>>1109194
Are you a joke?
>>
>>1109428
That's what I'm saying though, I don't think it was a required thing since it was manufactured pre-1979 according to 91.9 and 21.5. I have a generic PoH for the 172, but that's it. I'm just scared I'm wrong and I'll go in there and get sent home immediately.
>>
>>1109376
Buy a 1974 172 poh online and be like yeah that's the best i can do, write in the s/n yourself
>>
>>1109478

If it doesn't exist it doesn't exist
>>
>>1109428
You don't
>>
>>1109558

That was something I was quizzed on during my Private oral just last month.
>>
test

>>>/vg/189533902
>>
Recorded some planes landing yesterday
https://streamable.com/w3z7l
https://streamable.com/k6zt6
>>
File: 024A380GPX_800x783.jpg (177 KB, 800x783)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Why isn't this the norm? Much more comfy than regular seats and sits more people per plane making the tickets cheaper.
>>
>>1109640

That's very interesting
>>
>>1109640
So we're turning airplanes into slave ships now and just giving up on any notion of expecting comfort?
>>
>>1109705
Yeah, because sitting 6 hours in a economy seat is much more comfortable than laying in a bed sleeping.
>>
>>1109714

You know, most normal people consider lying down and sleeping to be a personal thing, and don't feel comfortable doing it surrounded by complete strangers.

We aren't all unwashed commies, Anon. Stop projecting your inferiority onto others.

Let's not forget all the drooling, snoring, and farting that would be going on as well.
>>
>>1109640
Because it's a massive safety hazard you dumb fuck.
>>
>>1109640
I don't see how those convert into seats.
>>
>>1109739
This. all i can imagine is (even more than usual) limp bodies flailing around like bowling pins during a crash
>>
>>1109765
You are dead no matter what, being strapped to a chair or being strapped to a bed makes no difference.
>>
>>1109954
This is a really stupid statement. Goes to show some people with basic grasp in aviation have a not-so-basic grasp on regulations and why they exist
>>
>>1109293
>When you're so glad that your flight school doesn't have Diamonds OR Aztecs for multi engine...
>>
>>1109954
I thought most survived crashes and were killed by their legs being crushed and suffocating in the smoke afterwards.
>>
>>1110010
Yeah, i bet your chances of surviving a plane crash exponentially go up when you are sitting, how stupid are you?
>>
>>1109954
Absolutely untrue. Airplane crashes are pretty survivable, despite what's you've been led to believe.
>>
>>1110294
I don't think so, I think that maybe designing planes saying "if they crash they're all gonna die anyway lmao" is a sure fire way to get some goodass lawsuit-induced bankrupcy when a non-fatal accident turns into a fatal one because of design and safety complacency.

But thats just my opinion.
>>
File: 20170916_093840.jpg (3.06 MB, 4032x2268)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
Guess the aircraft
>>
>>1110454
some Boeing under wing, they all look the same
>>
>>1110456
>>1110454
but if I had to guess, a 73
>>
>>1110427
>I think that maybe designing planes saying "if they crash they're all gonna die anyway lmao"
This is literally what they do.
>>
https://www.wired.com/story/boeing-jaxa-turbulence-lidar-laser/
Boeing wants to put lasers on planes to detect CAT. Sounds pretty cool
>>
>>1110500
>another system to learn

UGH
>>
>>1110456
>>1110457
Delta 737-800

Only reason I even took the picture is because the door switch was broken and the guages wouldn't turn on without holding the door in the sweet spot. Thank god it was fuel on board
>>
Well boys I passed my Medical Flight Test for my 1st class, so I'm good to go on making a career out of this.

>Tfw when I got also got my first experience of practical IFR flying and logged 0.6 actual on our way to the FSDO

Today was a good day. Can't wait to work on the rest of my Instrument rating now
>>
>>1110598

What is included in the 1st class medical?
>>
>>1110714

See US 14 CFR Part 67 Subpart B.
>>
>>1110500
JAXA yay!
MRJ should feature this system.
>>
>>1110714
I'm about to go for my 3rd class before my solo, should I just get my 1st instead since I'm 31 and know I have a weirdness-free EKG?
>>
>>1110761
Like I said earlier, I may well try to commute cross country just to get to fly that piece of grorious nippon aeropraneu
>>
>>1110892
Are you an ATP? There is no need for a 1st class medical otherwise.
>>
>>1110892
IMO there's no reason to not get a 1st Class medical. The standards are so low even a sedentary pleb like me whizzed on by it (granted I am 20), besides, the 1st Class will eventually degrade into a 3rd Class anyway and if you are looking into going down the CPL route you need a 2nd Class medical anyway.

Just IMO though, and I'm just a PPL pleb.
>>
>>1110935
>>1110936

Thanks, m8s. I'm going to go for my 3rd for now, as I probably won't have my CPL until next June or thereabouts.
>>
>>1110892

It depends on what you might want to do in aviation.

If you're flying around for the fun of it, 3rd class is the most you'll need.

If you want to do commercial pilot stuff, I'd suggest getting a 2nd or 1st early, just in case something gets caught then instead of later when you have money invested.

>>1110950
See Line above.
>>
Anyone ever been on here that flies corporate? Don't think I've seen anyone since I've been lurking. I'm a mech with no pilot aspirations beyond private but I'm interested to hear how corporate pilots are seen in the industry and how they compare with commercial pilots in things like pay, quality of the job, etc. just for my own curiosity.

Also I'm curious what makes of business jets are seen as better and worse relative to each other.
>>
>>1110953
Lears were/are supposedly hot rods to fly, and the Dassaults/Gulfstreams always seemed a cut or two above the rest. Other than oddballs like the Citation X, most bizjets seem like Toyotas with wings.

As for corporate, it seems to be to commercial what law is to medicine, aka a medical career is more stable/predictable than one in law, but while you avoid (most of) the lows of a law career, as an MD you will never soar to the salary/work-life balance heights that you can as a lawyer.

Likewise, I'm sure there are plenty of jobs in corporate that make even the worst regionals look good. At the same time though, I don't doubt for a second that there are guys flying corporate pulling >$500k a year because they lucked out and the billionaire they're carting around is a good shit who wants to spread the wealth to the people keeping him and his Falcon/G650/Global Express/BBJ from becoming a flaming crater somewhere.
>>
>>1110951
Ok, will do.
>>
>>1110958
Citation X is same quality as the rest, just faster. Thing breaks constantly, just like the others. The most reliable are the challenger 300 series. The most luxurious are the falcons and gulf streams.
>>
>>1110953
I have buddies that fly corporate, and if you get in with the right flight department/company it can be a sweet gig
>6-figure salary
>works relatively little
>flies high-end jets
but there are drawbacks
>constantly on call
>pressure from management to get jobs done, etc
>has to load bags, restock and clean aircraft
>>
File: IMG_2737.jpg (113 KB, 640x480)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
The poor Arrow! D:

I really hope my flight school fixes it before I have to start my commercial
>>
>>1111292
>restock and clean aircraft
>restock
Does this mean... food and drink?
>>
Does anyone have any advice on the landing flair? I'm not sure how to improve. Obviously practice, but I'm having trouble pinpointing where I'm going wrong.

I flair when I see the runway flattening. I don't tend to balloon, but I always seem to be too early, I'm not sure.

Like when I'm level with the runway after the flair, I seem to be too high. I don't push the yoke forward too much, but I'm unsure on how to ease myself down from there quickly.
>>
>>1111417
Flare, not flair. What's the deal with /n/ and this constant misuse of homophones?
>>
>>1111438

Hey, Homophobes are people too.
>>
>>1104751
I had the same problem. I had to go part 61. If you don't fly enough then your skills deteriorate, and you waste time and money trying to catch up with where you were last flight.
>>
>>1104857
Yo yo, CFII here.There's nothing stopping you from working on your instrument rating. Schedule with the DPE, even if it's farther out than you would like. Then go up with a CFII and work under the hood. review part 61 and you'll see that you don't have to have your private to get hours towards the instrument rating.

This way you can fly with a purpose and keep your landing skills up.
>>
>>1111468
Oh, and remind the DPE that you'd like to know if an opening in their schedule comes up.
>>
>>1111417
Instead of focusing on the flare as a separate maneuver with a beginning and end, think of it has 'holding the plane parallel with the runway' once you get in ground effect. Look at the end of the runway for better directional control.
>>
>>1111417

https://youtu.be/en6DMQ5Ukws

https://youtu.be/Yn60nFJW-jU
>>
>>1111404
Thank God my instructor taught me to do the "Red, Blue, Three Green" check every time I land, I do it at least once on base and once on final
>>
>>1111417
Don't flare... Unless you pee sitting down.
>>
>>1111581
Landing flat is horrible
>>
>>1106460

I did a tower tour with a friend who knew the controller when I was learning at a smaller towered airport in the Rockies.

The first time I went there, the lone controller in the tower was drinking tea and playing his guitar while watching the fog clear off the mountains surrounding the field. Looked about as cozy as a job can be. The guy had to work maybe once every five minutes.

Granted, this was in the morning, I assume it gets a bit busier in the afternoon.
>>
>>1112050
... what are you talking about?
>>
>>1112208
Probably referring to landing on all three landing legs at once, or landing on the nose wheel first.
>>
>>1109277
Eh the performance is good if you maintain zero sideslip like a good little boy. It does require a lot of rudder though
>>
>>1112308
Yeah I said don't flare, not to three point it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.