[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

http://www.strawpoll.me/14024778

What's /n/'s thoughts on helmets?
I personally think they make people less safe.

Most helmets just give people a false sense of security even though they don't actually prevent traumatic brain injuries.
>>
>>1113288
I think they make you safer in the event of a collision or accident, you don't want your head getting hit against concrete or whatever else it may be.
>>
>>1113288
I don't wear a helmet becase 80%+ of my rides are fairy slow and ofc in the dutchlands we have fairly good bike infrastructure.

But when I was riding hilly gravel roads in france I was super glad I wore one.
>>
I wear a helmet when doing some risky riding, like difficult MTB trails or just pushing my limits on the road. Not for casually riding to the grocery store or coffee shop.

I think it's quite likely to help if you lose your balance and fall on a rock or tree stump in the woods. On the road it's less likely to help, but why not wear it if you have one and your just going for a training ride.
>>
>>1113333
>your
oh dog 4chan has killed my grammar, send help
>>
>>1113288
I wear a helmet because mandatory helmet laws. Yay. Also, it's very helpful in case I was involved in a low speed crash where I would end up on my head and the helmet protects my head, but that's really the limit of its effectiveness.
>>
I have a big head so it's not very comfortable, sometimes I even get a headache.
Honestly never fell on my head while riding a bike. My knees are completely fucked from many injuries though.
>>
i wear helmets when mountain biking since there's a chance of falling at low speed, or a branch hitting my head
also wear one when i'm riding down a road near my house that i will likely be run over on eventually
don't bother with one on my way to the store or to work, as any crashes i have would be with a car
the way i see it, if a car hits me at speed i'm dead, helmet won't save you from a crash with a car doing 45mph
i don't want the newspaper to try to blame it on me not wearing a helmet if i get run over and killed though
and possibly helmets make me less safe since they make me look less vulnerable to drivers
>>
Can someone explain to me all the bikers who wear helmets on bicycle trails that are free from car traffic

Like there's a 0.001%chance you'll fall or crash on them
>>
>>1113351
a lot of them are pretty new cyclists who aren't confident in their bike handling abilities
even though they're on a safe path, its a good idea for them to wear a helmet
helmets are most useful in low speed, single vehicle crashes, like just losing your balance and falling
since the people on those trails are often going slowly and can't ride very well, they are at risk of falling for no real reason
>>
>>1113349
>look less vulnerable to drivers
This is definitely something people who bicycle seem to believe.

>>1113351
These people probably only ride the trail on the weekend for muh recreation and would never be seen riding their bicycle on a road, because they're too scared to ever deal with riding near cars.
>>
>>1113348
>Honestly never fell on my head while riding a bike.
Quite likely that when it happens, it will be the first and the last time. But yes, it is rare.
>>
Helmet is the only thing between your skull and the pavement. You have to be a complete moron to not wear one. They are light as fuck these days anyhow, look decent, and will protect your head.

I guarantee the OP is American, the same morons who ride around on motorcycles without helmet, and end up with brain injuries because they were "too cool" to wear one and think it' "doesn't work"

You only have one head look after it. It's incredible easy to lose your memory and fuck yourself up by having your head hit the ground.
>>
>>1113392
Shitty comparison. Must be a eurofag
>>
File: 7654.jpg (117 KB, 420x315)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>1113395
I'm just someone that wears a helmet on my bicycle, and my Kawasaki ninja 636 that would thrash your car in any gear, any speed. Yet, i still wear full leathers on it, and my helmet that i spent 1000$ on. I'm not a moron, i understand how precious your head is and what the impact can do even from a simple slip or fall.

Stop trying to show the rest of the cyclist and car drivers you are some cool cat with your no helmet.
>>
>>1113351
>bicycle trail ends
>exit onto 4 lane car sewer
That's why
>>
>I personally think they make people less safe.

How? There was that study a while back that suggested cagers may pass more closely, but guess fucking it's been THOROUGHLY DEBUNKED

How can a foam hat make you less safe? Did you already crash a few times and give yourself brain damage, OP? I could understand not wearing a helmet if you don't want to, but don't make up bullshit justifications for it.
>>
>crash
>road rash on scalp
perfectly good head of hair RUINED because you didn't wear a helmet. i mean it would have been ruined, but i'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're the 'shaved head with full beard' type on account of you going bald at 19. that pinstriped cloth trilby cap does a bang-up job distracting from the bald, though.
>>
>>1113471
This is a massive reason for wearing a helmet. I don't care if my knees, hips, or shoulder are full of scars and get fucked by road rash. However having road rash and later on scars on my head is something I don't want.
>>
>>1113351
You can always crash with another bike, pedestrian, dog or other obstacles.
What's the harm of wearing a helmet? In years of riding I have never needed one but I still use one because I'm rather safe than sorry.
>>
>>1113288
I think helmets are great for people with an IQ above 110 because they know not to fall for the I feel more safe meme, but instead they ride just as cautious without. In the case of an accident still have the extra layer of protection and oh yes
>>
>>1113482
and oh yes I need a helmet for wearing my cat-ear straps to block the wind noise.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f[1].jpg (131 KB, 1000x990)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>1113483
>I need a helmet so I can wear an addon which reduces the noise generated by the helmet
>>
>>1113396
>He thinks American heads are worth protecting
>>
>>1113333
>>1113392
>>1113448
>>1113481
There's 3 main things to point towards with helmets making you less safe

>Studies proving drivers give un-helmeted cyclists more space.
Subconsciously a driver will see you as more vulnerable and tend to drive further away from you making it less likely to get hit by a car.

>Helmets increase the size of your head
There are a lot of scenarios where you might not hit your head at all but the extra inch or two that a helmet adds can make a concussion more likely. Helmets don't protect against traumatic brain injuries due to concussions so if that extra 2 inches on top of your head made you hit a rock, the road, or a tree branch you could end up severely disabled due to your helmet.
>Studies show correlation between a rise in helmet use and a rise in bicycle injuries
This isn't necessarily the best thing to look at since it is just correlation, but it could be related to the 1st 2 points above. Since the 90s helmet use has skyrocketed and yet the number of fatal or serious injuries while cycling has gone up. #1 among those being head related injuries (which still happen all the time even with helmets)
>>
>>1113396
>from a simple slip or fall
So do you wear a helmet while walking, too?
>>
>>1113611
This shit again. A bad driver is going to nearly clip you regardless of your headgear
>>
>>1113623
Most people walk at a slow speed. Even a slow cyclist will average at least 10mph. Here's the thing about the force of impact from a collision: it increases exponentially with speed, not linearly.

There's a demonstrable benefit to wearing a helmet while riding and zero practical drawbacks. Nowadays any decent one is super-light and well-ventilated and adjustable and composed of multiple layers of varying density to mitigate impact as much as possible to reduce the severity of injuries.
>>
>>1113333
>Not for casually riding to the grocery store or coffee shop.
You can die while riding casually, just fall into the ground and hit your head can kill you. I remember time ago, a woman was riding with her kids on her birthday, took a selfie while riding, hit a pothole and fell, she died 1 day after that, and of course, if she had a helmet, she would be alive and her kids would have a mother.
>>
File: 1504795185429.jpg (47 KB, 400x400)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1113658
hol up I think the moral of the story here is don't use your phone while riding
>>
>>1113611
This is a bunch of anti-scientific horseshit. Fuck off.
>>
>>1113288
fuck off troll
>>
>>1113663
>>1113626
Study that shows a helmeted rider is more likely to hit their head
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1349400/
Study that shows injuries went up in a period where helmet use went way up and bicycle use as a total went down
http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/5/11/e008052.full.pdf
And even though I didn't bring it up, here's a study showing that helmets give people a false sense of security. And before you say it doesn't happen to you, it most likely does it's just subconscious.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21418079

I concede that the car distance one is wrong. I checked up on that and there was a follow up paper negating the results of the one that's cited for that. There are more examples of studies for the above reasons though.
>>
>>1113820
You're the kind of fucking retard who doesn't know the difference between correlation and causation. Helmets reduce the severity of head injuries. Period.
>>
>>1113658
Yes, you can fall and die while walking too. Apparently staring at your phone while walking has turned out very fatal as well.
>>1113820
>Study that shows injuries went up in a period where helmet use went way up and bicycle use as a total went down
I think the statement that helmet use went up and bicycle use as total went down is much more interesting than the actual subject here.
>>
>>1113823
Did I say they don't reduce the severity of head injuries at all? Also in my other comment I specifically said it was just correlation.

Helmets definitely reduce the severity of neck injuries. It is still possible to get a serious concussion with them on though and they have 0 effect on neck injuries.

My point isn't that helmets don't work well, it is that they seem to have a negative effect on the total overall amount of injuries while cycling in every study that has looked at it.

>>1113867
>I think the statement that helmet use went up and bicycle use as total went down is much more interesting than the actual subject here.
That definitely is an interesting point as well. Studies have shown that a greater number of cyclists increases overall safety due to both riding in groups and also general awareness of drivers as a whole since they see them more often

At the same time, every bike helmet study has shown that bike usage has gone down dramatically after enacting a helmet law because it actively discourages biking.
>>
>>1113890
Nigger, you just DIRECTLY fucking contradicted yourself within a single post. You're dumb as fuck and our species would be better off with you dead.
>>
>>1113894
How the fuck am I contradicting myself ever? I've been saying the same thing the entire time

If you take two people, one with and one without a helmet and make them have the same crash, the person with a helmet will probably walk away in better shape.

However, if you take two people, one with a helmet and one without, and have them ride a bicycle for 10 miles every day for 5 years, the person wearing a helmet is statistically much more likely to have had a serious injury during that time.
>>
>>1113898

> Helmets definitely reduce the severity of neck injuries
> My point isn't that helmets don't work well

You admit they work as intended and then immediately turn around and say they don't.

And your last sentence there is blatant horseshit. It's like saying:
>"If you take two people, one that never wears a seatbelt and one that always wears a seatbelt, and have them drive a car 30 miles every day for 5 years, the person who always wears the seatbelt is statistically much more likely to have had a serious injury during that time"
>>
File: 1497936592723.jpg (28 KB, 517x326)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
I dont wear one on my daily commutes on the townbike because there is no point with the slow speed and general relaxedness of those rides. I absolutely wear one when im out on the road bike or on the mountainbike, going fast and all that. I see tons of roadbikers here not wearing helmets, stupid cunts. I had an innocent slip at high speed last fall on the roadbike and smashed my helmeted head on the road, resulted in a concussion and being useless for 2 months. I dont want to think what would have happened had I not worn a helmet.
>>
>>1113611
>Subconsciously a driver will see you as more vulnerable and tend to drive further away from you making it less likely to get hit by a car.

That cellphone in their hand is going to make them hit you helmet or not

>Helmets don't protect against traumatic brain injuries due to concussions

Newer MIPS helmets reduce the rotational acceleration that leads to many of those injuries. American football and hockey are adopting the tech because it works in reducing concussions.

http://mipsprotection.com/mips-faq/#faq/what-is-mips
>>
>>1113898
This is the dumbest shit i hade ever read in my entire life
>>
>>1113913
this for me, too.

when I was new, I wore one. when I was a messenger, I wore one. going to work or to the shops? nah.
>>
>>1113913
My worst slips were when i was going slow and not paying attention, i once almost fell from a bridge.
>>
File: giro switchblade.jpg (26 KB, 479x479)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1113288
i wear this because it looks fricken sweet
>>
>>1113611
>Since the 90s helmet use has skyrocketed and yet the number of fatal or serious injuries while cycling has gone up
It's almost as if the number of cyclists has gone up.

Helmets do one thing: They reduce the seriousness of head injuries by a fixed amount. If you hit your head super hard, they won't help. If you barely hit your head at all, they won't help.
If you hit your head hard enough to cause damage, then a helmet lets you walk out with an intact brain. You brain is literally your entire existence on this planet and you're not even willing to admit that maybe it's worth giving yourself a second skull to protect it.
Maybe you should remove your skull too, drivers will be extremely careful around people who have their brain exposed to the elements.
>>
>>1114007
Or even better, when cycling along, wobble along as if you're a new rider, swerving from side to side. Cars will give you plenty of room.
>>
Helmets are good for one specific type of injury. This type of injury does not constitute the majority of cycle related injuries. Helmet laws are generally speaking a bad idea because they make the barrier for entry to cycling higher. Having large numbers of cyclists is better for overall safety than demanding everyone wear a helmet.
Wear a helmet if you want, but it's not the be-all-end-all of cycle safety. It does nothing to *prevent* you from getting hit.
>>
>>1114022
It can if it's a high-vis helmet or a place to attach lights. That way it's doing something the 99.9% of the time you're not hitting your head against something.
>>
>>1113898
This is that correlation vs causation thing all over again.
But why do you care if other people wear a helmet or not? It's like you are on some anti-helmet crusade.
>>
File: magpie.jpg (40 KB, 300x186)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Consider this. If you don't wear a helmet, there's 3-4 months of the year where these cunts will fucking end you.

wildlife aside, my opinions on helmets are pretty simple. When riding my commute, or around town on the road, or on a MUP with retarded pedestrians, yes.
When strolling around campus, or a quick cafe run - no.

Interestingly, you're statistically just as likely to be involved in some kind on a MUP or a road. Having seen the idiocy of pedestrians, little kids that walk/bike/scooter right in front of you, and near invisible dog retractable leads, I'd be inclined to believe it.
>>
>>1113288

I pretty much only wear one to save me from the endless "you should wear a helmet" lectures from family and co-workers.
>>
>>1114059
>unironically using the burger term MUP instead of the correct Australian term 'shared path'.
Please re-read the Road Safety Rules 2009 (VIC), in particular section 242 or equivalent in your state or territory (NSW having the same section for this rule).

On the other hand, thanks for the reminder about magpies.
>>
>>1114066
RED ALERT, THE SI AUTIST IS AUSTRALIAN
This is not a drill
>>
>>1114066
One step closer to ending you, kid
Please re-read the getting jacked up brochure
>>
File: bart.jpg (80 KB, 540x810)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>1113659
Using your phone while riding alarms cagers, so they'll drive more carefull.

As a matter of fact, making selfies while riding makes you safer.
>>
>>1114066
I refer you to ACT standard W6-ACT-01

checkmate atheists
>>
>>1114067
of course he's an aussie, you'd have to be to be that much of an obnoxious cunt
>>
>>1114076
Can't find that standard, probably not real. What I have found however is that every state is subject to the Australian road rules which they incorporate in to their own road rules, which include Rule 242.

>>1114067
>>1114068
>>1114076
The best part is I'm not even the original SI autist.
>>
>>1113288
I suffered a tbi from an my crash, doctors said the helmet saved my life. Accidents happen none of you are perfect at anything, it's just not how we are made. 9 months of therapy, physical, ocupational, and speech; 1 and 1/2 years before I felt like "me" again. Lost some memories, changes to my personality as well. But "I'm" back, and without that helmet I probably never would have woken up (I was altered/someone else for 2 weeks)

TLDR accidents happen wear a helmet, no one will remember what you looked like riding your bike.
>>
I remember when I was in middle school I argued with my parents to let me ride without a helmet because none of my friends wore one. I think I regularly began wearing one again at 16 after I smartened the fuck up.

With the height off the ground, relative ease of falling, and speed of travel, you couldn’t now convince me to go without one even if I’m going in a 5 minute jaunt to 7-11. The roads here are treacherous with potholes and breaks due to deep freezes in winter. It’s too easy to potentially crash.

That said, I’ve never fallen from my bicycle. I’ve never hit my head either. I ride as safely as I can.

Wearing a helmet is a perfectly reasonable precaution to take. You can give me all the counterarguments you want - that it doesn’t look good, that it’s uncomfortable, that it won’t save me from getting mowed down by a car or from other certain accidents. But at the end of the day I’m not chancing it. I don’t want an otherwise minor crash to potentially ruin my life, and I want a better chance of surviving a serious accident.
>>
File: 1477296589537.png (260 KB, 620x640)
260 KB
260 KB PNG
Are MIPS helmets worth it?
>>
>>1114599
There's no reason not to have it. It's just one extra, completely unintrusive safety feature. It doesn't change the fit or feel of the helmet.
>>
>>1114602
thx
I deleted my old post since i had a slight hiccup in grammar.
>>
>>1114601
I haven't crashed in mine yet but I'll let you know
>>
Well children drown in puddles so
>>
File: 1375212874012.jpg (149 KB, 494x675)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>MFW 75% of /n/thusiasts wear helmets

WTF. you've gotta be shittin me
>>
>>1115033
Most just didn't bother to reply, this is kind of a bait thread anyway..
>>
>>1113288
might get one for winter use. i feel like im going to die with my bike because theres always ice on roads and not falling is hard even when im only walking.
>>
>>1113537
wind noise is a thing without the helmet too unless you ride your bike at walking speeds.
>>
File: MDHFW.jpg (156 KB, 960x640)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>Not wearing a helmet
>In 2017

Asking for it...
>>
this thread again...

I've owned many helmets. Most of them retired due to old age. The exceptions are:

- helmet badly scratched and got stuck under a parked car - slid due to ice on road

- helmet damaged with multiple 10-15mm indentations caused by gravel when I crashed on a steep trail

- about 5mm of plastic scraped off helmet when I fell in a multi-bike pileup

glad the helmet took the abuse instead of my skull
>>
>>1113288
>$250 ticket
don't have that kind of cash, I'll wear my helmet
>>
>>1115033
Vegetables don't post on /n/
>>
>>1115133
Well I do.
>>
>>1113288
I collided with a car yesterday, and I'm a little banged up except for my head. Helmets really do work.
>>
>>1115133
What ever happened to Baconrider anyways?
>>
>>1115246
He just showed up in the Space Shuttle thread a few days ago: >>1113277

He's... even less coherent than he used to be, but knows his shit about the shuttle program.
>>
>>1115111
dude those gogs are sick
>>
>>1113288

I already had a crash where my helmet saved my head from bashing hard into the pavement. That helmet now sits proudly on top of a shelf.
>>
>>1113288
Besides the proven fact that helmets save lives (and only fools have a false sense of security when wearing one)
I use my touring bike for both touring and commuting and in both cases I occasionally meet a branch I haven't seen a moment ago and at 25 kilos it's easier and safer to look down and push it aside with your helmet than shift weight or try to steer around it. Especially in traffic.
>>
>>1113288
>they don't actually prevent traumatic brain injuries.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

But you don't have any, do you? Stupid fucking contrarian 4chan cunt

Fuck off

I genuinely, SINCERELY hope that you split your fucking head open on the pavement - I hope a fucking 10 ton truck splatters your brains all over the fucking asphalt you fucking piece of shit
>>
>>1115452
>I hope a fucking 10 ton truck splatters your brains all over the fucking asphalt you fucking piece of shit

what if he wear a helmet
>>
>>1113392
helmets ability to protect skull/brain greatly exaggerated. At least in US, where there are no real-world tests of a helmets safety. difference between a moto helmet and a bicycle helmet? one is DOT approved (our highway safety guidelines). Guess which. your equivalence is bullshit; your smugness is a token of lack of experience.
>>
Fine if you want to wear one but please don't make them mandatory. Just make some sort of legal thing so you can't sue if you get traumatic head injuries or something for not wearing one.
>>
>>1113913
>riding to store late one night
>old lady runs red at crossing and i'm hit
>just enough warning to go into foetal crouch
>up on the hood, back of head cracks screen
>then she hits the brakes.

lucky as walked away from that - wasn't wearing a helmet but haven't ridden without one since. doesn't really matter how careful and slow you are if there's traffic otherwise.
>>
i don't wear one but i'm not anal about it.
I simply cannot justify the cost of getting one and the effort to actually wear one
>>
>>1115814
>Just make some sort of legal thing so you can't sue if you get traumatic head injuries or something for not wearing one.
Wut. If some drunk idiot rams your cage with his cage does he get off scot free because you weren't wearing a seatbelt?
>>
>>1116170
In that situation, your insurance won't cover anywhere close to what they otherwise would because you weren't wearing a seatbelt.
>>
>>1116201
>your insurance won't cover
t. insurance company

fuck off kike

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.