[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

Eternal Tyre Discussion Thread

im new to road bikes, just killed my first tyres (schwalbe lugano) after aprox 4000mi/6000km of use. they came with my bike (a mid range good alu bike, felt f75).

can anyone give me a quick induction about tyres? mine where 23mm but i see everyone is using using 25 or even a bit more. advice me!

no need to go into very rare tyres and stuff, just the most known and widely available is preferred. a objective opinion on pic related would be cool as i see they are kind of a meme tyre. also tell me if the price gap from a couple of maxxis detonators or ultrasport to the gp4000 is worth. im looking on somethig balanced between puncture resistance, rolling resistance and durability... but again if someones knows thier stuff he could prob say "this one for puncture resistance", "this one sucks on durability",etc etc. thanksssssssss.

and a tyre related question. as i needed a quick replacement for the back tyre and had no time to investigate or anything, i just got a single continental ultrasport 23mm). guy in the store told me it wuld be better if switched to the front and left my old good lugano on te back, so i could feel the grip of the continental . should i?

obviously talk about your tyre pref, what you thik is best whatever whatever. peaceeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
Investing in quality tires is pretty much the best upgrade you can purchase for your bike. A wider tire will mean more vibration dampening which makes for a nice comfy ride, at the expense of slightly increased aero drag and rolling resistance. Consider that pros at races are currently running 25mm tires, so you should get even wider ones (provided your frame will fit them). GP4000s are pretty much the sweet spot between performance, comfort and puncture resitance. You can get gatorskins if you want more puncture resistance, though they'll make for a harsher ride. Schwalbe Marathon Plus will give the best puncture resitance ever, but they're pretty hard and heavy. Schwalbe Durano, Michelin Pro4 Service Course and Conti Four Seasons are also good mid-tier choices. Panaracer Pasela are nice too, if you're into tan sidewalls.
The advice from the LBS guy about switching around your tires makes sense, however bear in mind that a front wheel puncture is much more dangerous than a rear wheel one since you'll pretty much lose control instantly (if you're going fast enough), rather than just skidding to a stop. If your old tire is also worn out, consider buying a second new one so you can ride on a fresh pair (mismatched tires are disgusting anyway). Save the used tire for a future emergency.
>>
>>1126179
Ayyy bro, safe bet for roadies is to figure out the widest tire your frame will accept. Good starting point is a 28 mm tire from either Continental's higher lines, or Panaracer's Pasela (or Gravelking) line. There are even a handful of 30 mm tires from the likes of Challenge, Mavic, & WTB
>>
File: image.jpg (426 KB, 880x660)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
i use 32 road tires. love em at 85psi. good smooth ride

not the fastest obviously, but neither am I
>>
700x28 at 100 psi are the best
>>
Vittoria Rubino Pro
700x25
120-125psi
>>
I run 700x25 at 8 bar front and 9 bar rear on my roadbike.
>>
>>1126198
How fat are you?
>>
V E L O F L E X
E
L
O
F
L
E
X
>>
>>1126228
Running a high pressure doesn´t mean you are fat, some do it for lower rolling resistance or shitty terrain.
t. 9 bar at 57 kg
>>
Personally I think 28mm is incredibly narrow, I used 36 or 40mm when I rode regularly. Where do you ride?

Also, companies' measurements are different from each others. Its stupid.
>>
>>1126243
>28 is narrow
28 mm is pretty wide, the smallest normal sieze is 18 mm, normal is 23 mm wide is 25 mm
>>
>>1126244
I like having a plush ride I guess. The 23mm bike I rode must have been over 100psi, cause it demands cycling shorts or that saddle pounds your ass over the smallest road imperfections.
>>
>>1126257
It is not like you can choose the pressure or something like that...
>>
>>1126187
If you're considering memeskins, you might want to shell out a little more for the 4 Seasons. Almost the performance of the GP4000 with the puncture protection of the gators.
>>
>>1126179
I live in Cascadia. I have been using 30mm Schwalbe Marathon (not the Marathon Plus).

They are heavy and they have rolling resistance, so you will be going slower than you would with narrower and lighter tyres. With that said, I have bought them 1 year and 1 week ago and I have ridden around 5000km on them.

So far, I have not had a single puncture and I often ride on gravel and over lots of debris, such as broken beer bottles or broken car glass (why the fuck it's so common in my city to see broken car glass is beyond me). I don't even carry a pump or spares with me if I'm riding less than 10km.

If you don't mind compromising speed, these tyres will give you the comfiest and safest ride that you could want. Pair that with a steel bike and you will just want to spend hours riding your bike.

Talking of which, I need to buy new tyres now. Does anybody know how the Gatormemes work? How to they compare with the Schwalbe Marathon?
>>
>>1126220
Far too high unless you weigh 400lbs. Google "tire pressure calculator"
>>
>>1126241
Rolling resistance on bad terrain will be higher, though. When the pressure is low enough to allow the tyre to deform over imperfections in the road surface, that's a huge energy savings for the rider because you don't have to expend energy stabilizing yourself.
>>
File: clang.jpg (37 KB, 600x864)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1126179
25mm 4000s II
Don't fuck around here op
>>
30 psi in my minions

i dont care about your opinions
>>
File: None.png_3161.png (287 KB, 512x512)
287 KB
287 KB PNG
>>1126179
I ride 650x42 Compass Babyshoe Pass tyres (standard version) everyday, in all seasons around the Seattle city area on pavement and gravel.

They're super comfy, roll fast, and I've gotten a flat 3 times since mounting them last January.

Highly recommended.
>>
>>1126350
>>1126346
>>1126284
>>1126243
>>1126198
>>1126191
>>1126188
>>1126187

These would be perfect for your bike op. Lots of great recs in here!
>>
>>1126179
>>
>>1126376
I remember you from some other thread, first time riding on latex tubes right? How was it?
>>
>>1126350
>and I've gotten a flat 3 times since mounting them last January
Yeesh, is that supposed to be an endorsement? I run memeskin hardshells and I haven't gotten a flat since May 2016. I've put roughly 4500 miles on since then.
>>
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

GP4000 is best price/quality probably for 28mm and less.
Otherwise Schwalbe G-one Speed is insanely fast if you like THICC tires.(30-60mm)

>>1126376
>>1126386
Super light butyl tubes offer the same rolling resistance advantage without having to repump your tires every 2 days.

Always go for speed if you don't have to worry too much about punctures in your area.
I live in the Netherlands, so roads are most of the time 100% fine. Experience may vary in other countries.
>>
>2017
>not using solid or airless tires

come on grampas
>>
28c's are really fucking comfy. Too bad my roadie can only fit *most* 25cs,
>>
I changed my shitty 28c kenda for an expensive continental 32c and the bike was at 2km/h slower
>>
File: Vittoria Corsa.jpg (119 KB, 949x949)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>1126386
Supremely supple. Apples to apples, same pressure comparison, they compare to butyl that's about 5-10psi lower in suppleness without the rolling resistance loss on 28's. They are fast. They do lose about 20psi of pressure every day so instead of pumping every 3rd or 4th day, everyday pumping is a must.

>>1126411
Now I wish I had experience with lightweight butyl so I can throw down my 2 cents on lightweight butyl vs latex but from what I gathered, latex is softer and more flexible. So you might get the speed advantage of rolling with lightweights similar to latex but you don't get the same flex that latex provides. I feel it's worth airing up everyday even on my commuter so I don't know if I could go back but I'll definitely try lightweight butyl next.
>>
>>1126508
28s are the upper limit of speed to comfort for race tires. 32s are usually in the territory of commuter tires it also depends what you mean by 'expensive Continental' which could be memeskins which sacrifice speed and traction for puncture protection. GP4k sII is memechili though so the only way to win is

C O R S A
O
R
S
A
>>
whats the best thin, durable and light tires for under $300 ?
>>
>>1126217
How much do you weigh? 120-125 seems crazy high, unless you live somewhere with mirror smooth road surfaces.
>>
>>1126291
This guy understands.
So many misguided individuals, I expected better from /n/.
>>
>>1126291
>>1126570

but this means what? that i shouldnt put so much pressure as most people do on my tires?

and now you guys have me thinking about pressure... any guide i should follow? i googled and theres tons of info and pressure alculators based on your weight (+ bike weight), but its so much info that now im lost. im 60kg btw.

>>1126543
what the hell is memechili, sorry im over 30 so not so versed on internet dialectics. but for real GP4000SII or corsas?

ill be going for 25 as i think 28 could be a prob for my frame, but maybe 28 if they fit.

thoooooooooonks people
>>
>>1126601
tire pressure is definitely a preference but most people over inflate their tires to 100+. I'm a 64kg rider and on 28s 75-85psi feels good to me but calculators note my weight class could go lower, as low as 50 front/70 rear on 28s

Memeskins = gatorskins
Memechili = continental's black chili compound = GP4k sII

and whether it's Vittoria Corsa or Continental GP4k sII is preference on whether you like Germans or Italians because they are on par with memechilis edging ahead very slightly in rolling resistance as noted by bicyclerollingresistance

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/compare/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-vittoria-corsa-graphene-2016
>>
>>1126411
>not having to repump your tires every 2 days.
I don't really see how this is even a problem unless the bike is used as a commuter. I check the tire pressure and tires on my road bike before every ride anyway, filling them up doesn't take any extra time. If it's a commuter then having latex tubes is definitely a hassle.
>>
>>1126569
I like a firm ride. I've tried 100 and lower, too mushy.
Roads here are in pretty good condition.
>>
Vittoria rubino pro 700x23 @ 145psi rear/100psi front. I live for the day when someone makes a frame with a longer wheelbase for cripplingly tall autists like me. The "cantilever the seatpost over the rear axle" meme needs to stop.
>>
>>1126927
Are you lifting the rear wheel riding out of the saddle? What's the problem?
>>
I've enjoyed my Continental Touring Plus.

>>1126284

I live north of you. I just got 32mm Marathon Plus for the winter. What's the difference?
>>
Is carbon black still the best strengthening agent in the rubber? Or can we get some reliable tires in garish colors like lime green or sports car red?
>>
>>1126954
To the best of my knowledge, you have bought the most puncture-resistant tyres in existence. The only step you could go above that is using a different technology, such as solid tyres or some other air-less alternative.

The difference between mine 30mm Marathon and yours 32mm Marathon Plus is that yours is even more bomb-proof, at the cost of a higher weight and higher rolling resistance. In real life, it means that you will feel your bike a bit heavier and slower. This impacts you the most when you are accelerating or climbing, but, once you have reached a stable speed on the road, it will stop mattering.

I didn't go with the wider Marathon Plus because, in my city, asphalt is good enough and taking that extra caution would be overkill, even considering (Vancouver)Winter conditions. If you live in a more rural area, if your asphalt isn't good or if you really don't ever want to deal with punctures, I'd say you made the right choice.
>>
>>1126290
>"tire pressure calculator
I calculated it, but 3,7/4,7 bar seems a bit low, especialy when it says 6,2 minimum on the sidewall...
>>
so im also new with road bikes and also with their tyres. I have been using cheap tyres including ultrasports for the past 3 years ive been road riding, getting more serious with it. currently doing 70-110 mile rides on weekends and gonna start doing a serious training next year. just to push my limits.

question here is simple. from switching from cheap tyres like the ultrasports to something like the gp4000IIS. how does the riding experience change? is the price gap worth it? ive been reading forums and seen people say a ton of things but never how different it is from cheap stuff to these kind of tires. so im curious. does it really feel get that better? do you get faster?

thanks!
>>
>>1126601
jan heine's blog (compass bicycles/bicycle quarterly) will break down the theory for you behind tire pressure, tire size, and rolling speed. long story short, most important factor is ride what fits, ride supple.
>>
>>1127178
First, you need to realize diminishing returns are a thing. Second, Ultra Sports, despite being Continental's lower offerings, is a decent tire for their price sacrificing all puncture resistance for traction and rolling resistance. With that out of the way, would I say it's worth the upgrade? Definitely but your mileage may vary depending on your bike and your skill. I made the jump from Ultra Sport II's to Vittoria Corsas (the GP4k sII's rival) and I feel a huge difference in ride quality, speed, and traction. Things to note, GP4k's are almost half the weight of Ultra Sports with close to twice the tpi, and more puncture protection.

Now, the area where Ultra Sports win is bang for your buck. It's very hard to beat the price to performance ratio of Ultra Sports. If you can find a good deal on high end tires, it's worth it because all of your performance metrics begins with your tires. Not only does performance stem from your tires but the way your bike feels and handles, begins with your bike's tires. I'd rather ride on a cheaper frame with good tires than a better frame with shit tires.
>>
>>1127144
I personally wouldn't stray away from minimum ratings but I've heard others doing so perfectly fine, as far as claiming it's only there for liability reasons in case you blow out and hurt yourself. Still, I trust a manufacturers engineers and extensive testing over riding below rated pressures even if there are personal anecdotes of doing so for extended periods of time.
>>
>>1127180
thanks mister, your answer is clear as water.
i love you :D
>>
>>1127190
glad I could help famalam
>>
>>1126930
no, I'm just suffering from 6"9'. Any seatpost long enough puts the seat well over the rear wheel on virtually any production bike frame.
>>
some asshole cut my bike tire with a knife :(
>>
>>1127241
RIPped

F
>>
>>1127241
thats what you get for not using solid tires gramps
>>
File: P1010580.jpg (615 KB, 1460x1095)
615 KB
615 KB JPG
OP here, will go with GP4000IIs's and just stop overthinking the thing. will go with 25mm cause i think 28 wont have enough clearance. pic related (dont take it seriously, i know it sucks and that perspectives can make the gap look bigger or smaller. but mainly that i suck at taking pictures).

i only have a final question:
is it ok to put 25 (and maybe 28, just to know) on 23 rims? i guess the answer will be, depends of the rims. i have this felt road RSL3 rims (came with the F75 bike).

only info i can fin on the net is:
Felt Road RSL3 (tubeless ready), 22mm width, 24mm depth

thanks bros!
>>
>>1127278
Yeah 28 on 23 rims is fine. Clean your fucking bike though
Instead of tires, get some brushes, some sponges, and some hot soapy water.
>>
>>1127283
thonks, yeah, its actually clean day (and new chain), i havent given propper love to the bike, only abuse. i actually started this other thread to see how i cleaned it today :P
>>1127269

thanks again,nice day sir.
>>
gp4000s2s sidewalls aren't well protected, so keep that in mind, I've also read that they're not as soft feeling as other compounds. i gather they're pretty well priced and a good value tire if you're looking for low rolling resistance and tread puncture protection. they're also pretty lightweight so good feeling acceleration. If longevity and puncture protection is more important to you Michelin pro4 Endurances are my go-to. they give up very little in the rolling resistance department vs tires with comparatively poor puncture protection. vittoria corsa g+ and s-works turbos are apparently appreciably soft and grippy if that's your thing.
>>
>>1127319
what does the sidewall thing translate to in real life? thanks
>>
>>1127038

Cool, the 32mm is actually a step smaller and smoother because I have 37mm treaded tires now. My bike is covered in heavy panniers and racks and locks for commuting anyway.

> (Vancouver)
Oh, so I'm not north of you. I assumed you were in Washington.
>>
>>1127325
Thinner sidewalls equal more comfortable ride.
>>
>>1127329
ok i get that, but less protected = they get damaged easily as your pic related? ow do you actually get tires damaged on the sidewall? the ones i have now came with a little damage like that(used bike), i havent made more to it (on the sidewalls), b ut imcurious, thanks!
>>
>>1127331
They'll only really get damaged if you're unfortunate enough to have a piece of debris fly up and hit your sidewall or if you're in the habit of hitting curbs/train tracks parallel.

I've been riding posh thin-sidewall touring tires for years every day in Seattle, and the durability of the sidewalls has never been an issue.
>>
>>1127325
they're easily cut if you ride over sharp debris, which can lead to blowouts. there have been YouTube videos and forum posts saying they got fewer miles each consecutive pair due to blowouts. if your roads are real gud they really seem like the best value fun tires but if you despise fixing tires/tubes, or despise being watchful for debris you might not like em'.
>>
File: 1501264319192.jpg (38 KB, 650x534)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1127329
>>1127331
>>1127333
>>1127343
Fine responses.
Correct tire pressure is paramount with tires that have flexible/thin sidewalls.
I Have only encountered one gash in like 5-6 sets of tires,and It wasn't even serious.
I just replaced it just in case.
>>
>>1127345
thing that bring ups the eternal question: how to know correct pressure?
i simply dont trust those web pressure calculators cause they tell a lot of times lower than min pressure recommended by manufacturer... what do? me thin btw
132lb(60kg) on a 22lb (10kg) bike
>>
>>1127347
The minimum recommended pressure is just that, recommended. Take for instance this guy, from the GCN channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6F3IBvB6Vc
He's tall as fuck yet he runs 60psi on his 25c tires.
In the end it comes down to personal preference, I'd just inflate the tires to the min rec pressure and see how they feel, then either inflate them more or let some air out.
>>
>>1127350
thanks, i kind of go 100 or something thinking more of puncture protection than in muh speedz
will start testing stuff
>>
>>1127355
Good.
If you start getting sidewall tearing and/or pinch flats it's a good thing to up the pressure a bit.

>100 PSI
And what size tires If I may ask?
>>
>>1127355
I weigh ~75kg and run ~80psi on my 28s and ~90psi on my 25s, never had a pinch flat on either
I do inflate the rear tire a bit more than the front since there's more weight on the back
>>
>>1127347
>>1127350
Dan's actually running 28s at 60
I'm 145 lbs/65 kg and i run 25mm tires at 100 psi because it's closer to the recommended pressure stated by the manufacturer while still remaining smooth enough. schwalbe bro stated that when it comes to fast performance tires with thin sidewalls higher pressures help prevent blowouts because the tire isn't allowed to overcompress upon hitting a bump or pothole. that's convenient because newer performance tires also commonly feature a very plush tread compound that is nice on your gooch despite being at 90+ psi.
>>
>>1127357
23mm, but gonna swap to 25mm
usually put 110 on the back 100-90 on the front

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.