[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 113 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: An-2M.jpg (728 KB, 1200x687)
728 KB
728 KB JPG
>>
Haven't flown in about a year but I'm starting again on Thursday with a biannual flight review. Does anyone have any resources I could study to brush up on some of my PPL stuff? Was just going to peruse the PHAK but if there's some sort of refresher out there, that'd be great too.
>>
>>1129796

first for the SAAF!
>>
whats are your guys relationships like with ramp/line serviceman anyway?
>>
>>1129837
Don't have much of a relationship, but there's two fuel guys at my field. One is a friendly, younger guy who's always willing to shoot the shit and talk aviation with you. The other guy is old and a bit of an asshole, regularly makes snide comments about how fueling our schools small cessnas isn't worth his time, but they're the only fuel service on the field so we're stuck with him.
>>
train crew start out getting paid better than commercial pilots, have a better union, better benefits, and the train company trains us up in 4-6 months at their expense.

we even, just like pilots, can make $120,000 a year when we are more senior and doing longer routes.
>>
>>1129846
neat
>>
>>1129847
not really. for the pilots. they make shit and have a huge upfront training cost. since major airlines only hire college grads. the market is also flooded with military pilots.
>>
>>1129851
yeah well a senior pilot's salary is going to top out much higher than a senior train engineer/conductor/whatever they're called.
also i have to imagine flying a plane is much more stimulating than operating a train
>>
>>1129851
also you can get hired by a major with a degree through flow-through or proper experience
>>
>>1129837
>Pull up to FBO
>Maybe one out of every 3 times they're out there in time to marshal me to parking without making me wait with the engine running
>Otherwise I usually just say "fuck it" and pick a spot myself
>Shut down and secure the airplane
>By this time a line guy has usually showed up to ask if I want fuel
>I say yes and how much
>Go inside, grab a cookie and some coffee and pay
>Airplane's fueled by the time I get back
They're alright, I guess

>>1129846
Can't say I'm surprised. A lot of people love flying, so it's way easier to find a sucker who will fly for peanuts than for a less pleasant/exciting job.
>>
File: mEmiaIk.jpg (70 KB, 1541x873)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>sheppard air btfo
>>
>>1129846
I'm standing to make $110k this year riding the extra board and claiming a good amount of guarantee.

Hourly agreements bring in the big bux
>>
how much is the ifr written test fee?
>>
File: 1508729442641.gif (1.92 MB, 310x200)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB GIF
Anyone got advice for someone /considering/ working towards a PPL and a CPL as a career path? There's a really good school not from from where I live now.
>>
>>1130188
Take a discovery flight, ask many questions. Think hard before you commit, and either way just make sure you enjoy yourself.
>>
>>1130343
>some sweaty fat fuck with BO and rapist glasses
>in a huge hurry, rushes through everything
>literally 1 tight circle around the airstrip
>constantly dropping "hints" about the "tip" which apparently we're supposed to give
>look up other flight schools in the area
>most of them have stories like this
I liked planes a lot more before I found out what other planefags are like

I'll stick to FS X
>>
File: DSCN5106.jpg (529 KB, 2577x1246)
529 KB
529 KB JPG
>>1130347
payourway!,
,did you tip?,, or, maybe,,PAY for the GAS!,
,,,rush,, that's howe fly.,
,so? howas the flight?,,bumpy?, smooooth landing?,
,try looking like you CARE!, sorry to rag you ,, but LAZYBOY!,,samis are so much tastyer when flying.
>>
File: DSCN5104 (2).jpg (868 KB, 3131x1774)
868 KB
868 KB JPG
>>
>>1129976
Call ahead on Unicom if you want to be parked.
>>
>>1129846
Trains is boring as fuck tho
>>
>>1130369
most of your time in an airliner is hands off with the robot flying. you only get interesting flying if the weather is less than ideal on takeoff or landing.
>>
What does an aircrash investigators day job consist of?

Crashes are so rare they can't be investigating them all day every day.
>>
>>1130593
I'm guessing they're like cops.
One brief moment of excitement followed by eons of paperwork
>>
File: thefaceofthecouncil.png (497 KB, 853x480)
497 KB
497 KB PNG
>>1130593
I did it for a while. eventually you figure out that all the dead bodies were replaced with dead bodies from 3000 years in the future and the real people on board were kidnapped by time travelers. after that it's hard to stay focused.
>>
File: 469.gif (1.88 MB, 480x264)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB GIF
Are there any aviation organizations out there that that pay for training, even in part, after youre hired and want to keep you?
>>
>>1130076

someone else browses shittyaskflying I see
>>
File: 1320363922885.png (8 KB, 493x402)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>1130649

>aviation organizations that that pay for training
>>
File: 1505930672958.png (57 KB, 645x729)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>1130670

Employers I meant to say.
>>
>>1130673

Other than the military... no

Jetblue and a few other foreign airlines with cadet programs want YOU to pay like $150k

There's a handful of scholarships (like 10)out there but good luck getting one. They're usually only for school kids and only a few grand though
>>
>>1130633
>Posting the plot of Millenium again.
>>
File: RIO.jpg (57 KB, 1500x656)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>less than a month away from being a CFI
Fuck I'm ready to start making money.[spoiler] And by making money I mean spending every cent I earn to repay my loan.[/spoiler]

Anyone here ever flown the piper arrow? any tips?
>>
>>1130702
Piper arrow sucks absolute dog shit to fly. Other than that, you have commercial already so its no different from flying it before.
>>
>>1130649
Some regionals have been paying for pilots to tie up loose ends in their logbook.
Say you're 6 hours short of multi requirements but otherwise have a heartbeat and can speak english. In that case the airline is going to consider it worth the investment to pay for your last few hours in order to ram you through the training pipeline and get you out on the line making money.
>>
File: 1511808015893.jpg (550 KB, 1280x720)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
>>1130706
It can't be worse to fly than the seminole right?
>>
>>1130708
W-What's wrong with Seminoles?
>>
>>1130424
Still more fun than trains
>>
>>1130676
>>1130707

Does any branch of military (US) give preferential treatment if you want to do aviation and already have flight time?
>>
>>1130816
Yes and no. All I can talk about is USAF/ANG so bear with me; hopefully another anon can talk to you about Army, Navy, and Coast Guard.

In order to fly for the air force you need to be an officer right? Officer, not enlisted. So in order to become an officer there's a few things you can do. ROTC, OTS, or a Green-to-Gold type program where the service pays an enlisted member to go through school and ROTC and commission that way. That's all fine and dandy but how do you fly after all that? First, you have to get a rated slot with the air force. This typically happens during the commissioning process but there’s all sorts of anomalies here so read up on it yourself.

Well there's a battery of tests you'll have to take.

First is AFOQT. This is like the ASVAB but for officers. It's a timed SAT *styled* test that tests a few different areas of knowledge. It's scored by percentile, so you ideally want to be in the highest percentile because that ranks you directly above other candidates. The important scores here relate to the rated portion. All of those can be found here, I’m not going to list them for you. https://militaryflighttests.com/afoqt-test/
>>
>>1130816
>>1130846
Continued

Then you take the TBAS. It’s basically a shitty video game on a windows XP desktop and there’s plenty of ways to prepare but no way to study. This one just focuses on how you pair cognitive psychomotor skills in a stressful environment. Be good at math, and yes flight time would actually prepare you for this well. It’s important to note you never actually get a score for this one, it just factors into your PCSM, which is next.

Now on to the meat of it all. The PCSM! Ta da! You’re there, you have your score. This score is an aggregate of your AFOQT and TBAS and it comes out in a percentile as well. 90’s is good, ideal really.

Now that we’ve explained all of THAT I can explain to you why flight time is good. On a sliding scale with diminishing returns, you receive a bonus on your PCSM percentage based on your number of flight hours between 0 and 200. The first hours on that scale “weigh” the most in that they’ll boost your PCSM the most. But believe me, they boost your scores fairly significantly. Now go onto https://www.baseops.net/ and stop asking me fucking questions, kid.

Oh and you might get to skip IFS if you have enough hours but I've received a few different answers on whether that's useful or not.
>>
>>1130702
>>1130706
can confirm.
>>
>>1130847
>Be good at math
Yep, I've already failed.
>>
>>1130706
Can also confirm.
>>
File: IMG_1677.jpg (1.17 MB, 4032x3024)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>1131072
It's not hard math, and I promise you if you take 45 minutes a day 5 days a week to study for 3-4 weeks you'll pass like a champ in a comfortable percentile. I'm shit at math and alllll of my scores were 90s with the exception of quantative in the mid 70s.

But go ahead and sell yourself short before you make an effort, enough shitbag airmen already anyways.
>>
>>1130076
Lol this was literally my post on /r/shittyaskflying, figures that there’s 4channers on there.
>>
>>1130424
Don't forget the view
>>
File: 1494620968397.gif (1.26 MB, 284x247)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB GIF
What are some careers that put you around planes quite a bit but aren't necessarily piloting?
>>
>>1131287
Assuming you want to fly frequently it would be something like a flight attendant. In rare cases you could be a U.S. LEO and fly frequently.

Probably your best bet is either in sales (though most light aircraft sales people seem to fly anyways) or as a maintainer. Depending on who you maintain for you either will or will not fly often. Regional and major airline maintainers fly frequently as they'll be needed by the airline wherever an airplane happens to break down.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure another anon can rattle something else off.
>>
>>1131246
implying train crews don't get nice views.
>>
>run out of money while working on instrument rating
>think i'll never finish any more ratings and will have to get some shit job
>girlfriends grandma knows how much i love flying
>shes a rich widow and offers to pay for the rest of my flight training
>go from flying shitty C-model 172s to G1000 SP models
>will finish flight training with 0 debt in a few months
feels so fucking good
>>
You can work at an FBO, airport ops, line guy, ATC (theres a big shortage, though I've heard wait times to get into the academy are ~2 years)
>>
>>1132021
Nice man! Also
>Tfw no qt3.14 gf
>tfw no widow grandma to pay for the rest of training
>>
>>1132029
i was definitely at the right place at the right time. keep plucking away anon, you'll catch a break
>>
>>1131287
A&P if you're alright with not actually flying.
>>
File: 1511783777197.jpg (382 KB, 1152x1200)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
>>1132046
>tfw A&P
>>
File: amputee1.jpg (1.75 MB, 4032x3024)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>1132047
ayyy, same.

Just remembered, thought /gag/ might appreciate this; we just took a wing off of a Falcon 2000 over the past month and I managed to snag three or four pictures.
>>
File: amputee2.jpg (1.52 MB, 4032x3024)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>1132050
>>
File: amputee3.jpg (1.73 MB, 4032x3024)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
>>1132051
>>
File: amputee4.jpg (1.76 MB, 4032x3024)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>1132052
>>
>>1131287
NFO in the navy. Drink the kool aid and be convinced you actually fly the planes but ultimately do nothing.
>>
I'll be at 500 hours in a month or so. Thinking I can start trying to upgrade out of my current skydive job.....now that I'm not a 250hr wet commercial, any suggestions on where to look once I hit 500?
>>
>>1132050
>>1132051
>>1132052
>>1132053
lewd
>>
>>1132312
AMF has a decent job prospect for 135 time, but only do it if they garuntee you the brazilia as an FO. All their times posted are negotiable except the 135 mins. If they say you can do the accelerated captain program, decline, as every sic hour in a beech 99 isn’t legal beyond using it to meet 135 mins of 1200.

I’m going there in a year or so as part of their flow to UPS.
>>
Are there any plane watchers I should check on out youtube?
>>
Just got cleared for solo flight for my PPL, it feels awesome
>>
>>1129796
ok im a bikefag, never post on aviation threads.
but i come here to be educated.
everytime i see a propeller plane like pic related, despite it looking gorgeous and not old.. i still always think of old tech. old planes. old old old. i need jet motors and stuff to think of modernity. am i doing it wrong? enlighten me. and feel free to make fun of my ignorance :D
>>
>>1132769
both jet and prop propulsion have their pros and cons, it depends on what the company/pilot really wants depending on job use and costs, and OP pic has a 'jet motor' with a prop attached to it
>>
>>1129846
Senior captains with legacy carriers are making 180-240k depending on the airframe they are flying.
>>
>>1130702
As said before the arrow is an incredible disappointment.

As a current CFI, if you can and don't already, move to a nice climate. Currently instructor ting in Ohio Andy I've flown once this week.
>>
>>1130724
Nothing. People bitch because the single engine performance is very bad, but it's a light twin trainer, what did they expect?
>>
Propeller technology is still advancing. Quieter, more efficient, faster, etc.

Same with jets. It's kinda like gasoline vs diesel in cars and trucks, each has it's advantages and disadvantages.
>>
>>1129796
Is most of /gag/ from the US?
>What are the possible routes from CPL/IR to an airline across the world?
>Is flight operations a good way to keep yourself in the field until you get a chance?
>Do major airlines take CPL/IR rated individuals with ~200hrs. regularly, based on aptitude tests etc.?
Also, any Asian pilots around?
>>
>>1132769
The picture in the OP is deceiving, it's an AN-2 which has been around since the 40's, but it's modified with turboprop which is kind of like a jet
>>
>>1132826
Amerifag here
>What are the possible routes from CPL/IR to an airline across the world?
I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but in the US most people time build to 1500 hrs (or 1000 with a restricted ATP) by flight instructing. If you only have a CPL and don't want your CFI, you can other stuff like hauling skydivers, pipeline patrol, traffic watch, SIC at a 135 outfit, or other various odd jobs. If you have enough money, you could also buy a small plane to build your hours in then sell it when you're done with it.
>Is flight operations a good way to keep yourself in the field until you get a chance?
I'm sure it couldn't hurt.
>Do major airlines take CPL/IR rated individuals with ~200hrs. regularly, based on aptitude tests etc.?
I know a lot of European airlines have cadet programs like that which seems like a good deal. America has a much shittier"pay-to-fly" system (I'm looking at you, JetBlue) where you can pay huge sums of money to land yourself a job. I don't know of any cadet programs here that will cover the cost of your training.
>>
So about this "pilot shortage," how desperate are they for pilots, really?

I'm a total fuckup who can't even nail down an unskilled job on account of being 28 with a nonexistent resumé, but I've also got 400 flight hours in various types and am spitting distance from a commercial rating. Would a commercial rating plus my flight experience be enough for me to finally find employment?

I don't even give a shit what they pay me as long as I get to work.
>>
>>1132917
Have any fuck ups in your flying history? Ever bent metal or gotten a DUI? If you get a commercial rating there are a couple opportunities for you. Do you have an instrument rating?
>>
>>1132913
Not too different from where I am; [spoiler]Pakistan[/spoiler]. The national carrier here has a cadet program where if you make the list after an aptitude test and interview, they'll cover your training and then get you operational on their fleet. However, the program doesn't have a regular uptake and happens once in a few years, so theres always a large no. of CPL/IR holders lined up every time. Nepotism and corruption only makes it worse.

Another, smaller regional carrier has the same pay to fly system, where they take the sim training cost, and if you pass, they'll return it back over 2 years.

2 other regional airlines mostly just get retired officers from the Air Force or other airlines.

But they all pay really well, and once you're in, you're mostly set for life.
>>
>>1132801
Every time someone mentions the salary for a senior captains at a legacy carrier, the number keeps going up

Soon people will claim they make half a mil a year
>>
>>1132919
>Have any fuck ups in your flying history? Ever bent metal or gotten a DUI?
Nope.
>Do you have an instrument rating?
Yep, that's largely why I'm so close to having my Commercial. Shoulda just done both at once.
>>
>>1130702
>CFI

only just got my student license for recreational. What's your history anon/how many hours do you have?

I'm not interested in working for an airline but I think it'd be fun to pass on the skill, especially if I could give people the opportunity on the cheap if I owned my own plane one day. Might be a good retirement income, but that's a few decades off.
>>
>>1129851

>since major airlines only hire college grads

This meme will die in 2020
>>
>>1130846

In the Army you can enlist and then apply for Warrent Officer Flight Training. you don’t need a degree to fly helicopters
>>
>>1132917

>Over the next two decades, 87 new pilots will need to be trained and ready to fly a commercial airliner every day in order to meet our insatiable demand to travel by air.
>That's one every 15 minutes.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/27/news/companies/pilot-shortage-figures/index.html
>>
>>1133280
That assumes airlines will continue the current strategy of stuffing all their allocated slots with hundreds of shitty little CRJs in order to crowd out competition.
>>
>>1133284

That will only work for so long. You know, ExpressJet just lost their contract with Delta because they physically could not fulfill the Delta routes do to being short on pilots
>>
>>1133280
What about GA though? Is it only airlines screaming for pilots?
>>
>>1133401

I've heard that Corporate is starting to feel it now Mr. Krabs. Again, heard.
>>
>>1133401

I don’t think so, they are all referral based. So friends hook up friends. I talked with a corporate pilot for NetJets just the other day and he told me it’s all about who you know. So I’m assuming they aren’t as desperate as they can probably get people easily
>>
>>1133401
>Is it only airlines screaming for pilots?
No, there's a pretty huge ripple-effect going on. Airlines can only hire experienced pilots, so virtually all of the pilots they recruit are recruited from either the military or some smaller commercial gig. So when these pilots leave these jobs behind, they create a shortage in, say, the Part 135 job market or military or whatever they left.
>>
>>1132917
Is it any wonder there's a pilot shortage when the only way into becoming one is being born to millionaire parents, or joining the military?

Airlines used to take promising youngsters and train them up fully and pay for all their training.
>>
how did /gag/ get their first type rating?
>>
>>1132051
>>1132053
Just masking tape? interesting. I dont have any idea what those pipelines are (fuel?) and how is airplane maintenance done, but shouldnt they be sealed better?
>>
>>1133618
Does an R22/R44 SFAR endorsement count? Closest thing to a type rating I have.
>>
>>1133640
It's only purpose is to keep dust and other crap like that out. There's no possibility of any fuel being pumped or anything since there's no fuel on the aircraft and, well, there's no wing. No need to go crazy on something simple if you don't have to.
>>
I just got a 95% on my IRA and 96% on my FII !!
>>
thoughts on forging hours to get to 250 so that I can qualify for commercial?
>>
>>1134322

How many do you have now?

Also, try to find another student who needs to time build and do XC with. It’ll help split the cost
>>
>>1134322
Well, I'm not gonna tell you no...

But look into glider clubs. It's fun and it's a relatively cheap way to build hours (plus, y'know, another rating, and some skills you're not likely to learn anywhere else). Only 50 hours of those 250 are category-specific, and only 100 are required to be powered, so 150 hours (or "150 hours," as it were) of soaring can take a pretty big bite out of it.
>>
>>1134322
im with the faa and ive tracked ur ip how dare you even thing about lying
>>
>>1134345
sorry mr faa man i promise i wont
>>
>>1134253

I studied the questions out of the ASAs book and got a 86 on my PPL, 82 on my IR, and 80 on my commercial.

I used Shepard air and got >96% on my CFI, CFII, FOI, AGI, & IGI
>>
>>1134490

Is AGI and IGI even worth it?

I’m also trying to decide if MEI is worth it. At my flight school we only have 1 Seminole. But it rarely flies because most of the students at my school are rich people just wanting to come in to get their Private for fun
>>
>>1134577
MEI looks nice on a resume. also if you can teach in a multi it'll help build those MEL PIC hours employers are looking for
>>
>>1134580

I guess so. I was sort of expecting that i’d have to self finance my way to 25hours Multi. I just doubt I’ll gain many hours off Multi students since they are very rare at my school
>>
I got my instrument rating this week and I want to get started right away on my commercial. Any recommendations for study material for the written test? I used the gleim books for the first two and got close to 100. I was thinking about maybe switching it up to the ASA stuff
>>
File: 00006445.jpg (44 KB, 766x509)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Can someone tell me what this aircraft is?

I can't quite put my finger on it?

Also have you guys seen the new youtube channel, "Mustard?" This guys is an animator who caters to av geeks. His first videos since he started a few months ago have been cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkFYD7R_Xig
>>
>>1134682
That's a photoshop... Looks like 737 nose, 757 wings + fuselage and MD-8x tail
>>
>>1134682
>>1134702
Just did some googling. It is indeed a shop, but I think the creator intended it to be what the 757 was supposed to look like early in its development. It was initially supposed to have a T-tail, and supposedly a more 737-esque cockpit.
>>
>>1134667

SheppardAir
>>
File: src_32236296.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
For decades, Japanese carriers ran 747s on domestic flights. The last domestic 747 flight in Japan was a Haneda-Naha ANA flight on March 31, 2014 (< context of photo)

Yet, no Japanese carrier has introduced next-generation quadjets for domestic routes, like the 747-8 or the A380-800. ANA is purchasing three A380s-800s with delivery in 2019, but only for the HND/NRT- HNL route to Hawaii. Why is this? What economic factors can explain why JAL, ANA and low-cost carriers in Japan have passed on using 747-8s or A380s for domestic routes?
>>
I watch Air Disasters everynight and make mental notes on the decisions the crews made since it’s good information for like emergency thought Processes. But at the same time, this show gives me anxiety. This happen to anyone else?
>>
>>1134915
Furthermore, have the recent Shinkansen extensions like Kyushu and Hokkaido wiped out airline demand like how the Tohoku Shinkansen in 1982 completely replaced HND-SDJ flights? I'm talking about destinations like KOJ, KMJ, AOM, HKD, CTS.
>>
>>1134918
Dont watch that garbage, it's made for entertainment, not training. Do what you're trained to do.
>>
>>1134926

Of course i’d follow the established emergency procedures. I watch it for entertainment but also because it’s interesting to see how the crew used their brain to sort through the problems
>>
>>1134919
probably. Also airliners have a sweet spot for their most profitable distance to fly and I doubt short hops fall within
>>
>>1134918
Dont watch that garbage, it's made for entertainment, not training. Do what you're trained to do.
>>
>>1134918
I just watch AOPA accident report videos on youtube. Educational and terrifying at the same time
>>
>>1134919
>>1134929

I'd like to clear up a mistake I made: Aomori's code is AOJ, not AOM. Just in case any smart alecks want to point that out.
>>
Why did the crash of the Russian Concorde rip off crashing cause a lot of airlines to cancel their Concorde orders?

It's not the same plane
>>
File: DSCN5107.jpg (486 KB, 2786x1486)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>
why are american airlines retiring all their 747s? are they gay or something?

the 747 is the best flying experiences i've ever had. the hump is so quiet.
>>
>>1135696
My uneducated guess is that they're probably just not as efficient anymore.
>>
>>1135684
that lonely boi is missing his mustache
>>
>>1135696
Planes like the 777 and the 787 have a much lower fuel burn making them more cost effective even without the economies of scale of the 747. I agree that a 747 is so nice but so is a 777 or an A330 (I've ridden in all of em),
>>
>>1135696
Money, my boy. Compared to modern twin-engine widebodies, they burn more fuel, require more maintenance (largely because they're aging) and have more seats than can often be filled anyways (lost revenue).
>>
>Boeing lanyard
>pilot uniform
>in a Cessna
>>
>>1135995
Haha, that's not just a bugsmasher, it's the BACK SEAT of one.
>>
>>1135995

Shes not even attractive
>>
it hurts
>>
>>1135995
>female pilots
>>
>>1136000
L my A O
>>1135696
>>1135437
>>1134929
>>1134919
>>1134915
>Airliners
>/gag/
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1132073
>ultimately do nothing.
Just shut up and fly my heading, you trained monkey.
>>
>>1136104
#SSBM
>>
File: united.jpg (231 KB, 1000x620)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>>1136094
fuck off autismo
airliners are kool
>>
>>1135995
We're supposed to wear pilot uniforms where I'm learning to fly.
>>
File: cirrus.jpg (46 KB, 960x720)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>cirrus told to hold short of runway
>does this
>cirrus """"""""""pilots""""""""""
>>
>>1136556
Don't get me started.
>>
>>1136556

When I was doing my Instrument stage check last week there was a Cirrus holding short of the runway. There were no planes using the runway and we were just sitting behind this guy with 3 other aircraft waiting behind us. My chief flight instructor who was with me for the stage check called the guy up on CTAF and asked what he was doing. The Cirrus said he was waiting to get his IFR release... we waited for about 8 minutes before he could go. It was dumb as shit. Why the fuck wouldn’t he have just stayed in the run up area
>>
>>1136556
>>1136628
>>1136651
No experience with anything other than Cessnas. What does "Cirrus" have to do with the type of pilot? Wont you find the same pilots in Cessnas etc.?
>>
>>1136776

Cirrus is the Prius of planes, people who drive Priuses are soyboys
>>
>>1136556
>>1136628
Cirrus planes are pretty nice desu. CAPS systems is pretty great too.
>>
retard here. whats to stop a pilot for deploying his thrust reversers mid flight? also what happens when you put the landing gear up while youre still on the ground?
>>
>>1136855
>whats to stop a pilot for deploying his thrust reversers mid flight?
electro-mechanical lockout like a squat sensor or wheel speed sensor.
>also what happens when you put the landing gear up while youre still on the ground?
electro-mechanical lockout like a squat sensor
>>
>>1136776
Cirrus is the new yuppie plane, or one of them anyways.
>>1136850
The plane isn't the problem, it's the idiots that fly them. And maybe the training, I suppose. I've seen more wheelbarrow landings and broken nosewheels with Cirruses than with any other airplane.
>>1136855
Discipline/common sense, plus often additional safeguards.
>>
>>1136776
The airplane is marketed towards and primarily bought by people who aren't professional aviators. They like the airplane because of its heavy automation and as a result they lack good decision making skills.

2 out of every 3 of my close midairs is a cirrus. I had a cirrus land directly behind me on a 5000' runway and had to expedite to the side of the runway because they couldn't be fucked to watch for me.
>>
>>1136776

soyboys
>>
Do you ever worry about emergencies?

I’ll soon be taking my Instrument checkride, and i feel pretty decent at IFR procedures. But one thing that’s constantly going through my mind is worry. I’ve been on 3 flights so far that have caused me worry-

The 1st time during my very first flight in IMC we had a vacuum failure while in actual IMC during an approach. The 2nd and 3rd occurred on the same flight during my long cross country. After departure we heard a loud snap sound that came from the cowling. We heavily monitored our instruments and everything was normal. after we landed we had a mechanic check the plane and he determined the cowling very slightly popped out of alignment but it wasn’t enough to cause and that we would be fine to fly as it is. On the way back home it was night, and everything was smooth. my instructor was browsing around on the MFD and I heard him say “what the fuck” and we both noticed CHT #1 was spiking. 350..365...375...400...425...450..465.. (my instructor is aggressively starting to lean the engine)...445...430...435..450..465...485...490... RED...RED....RED.... 350... that scared the fuck out of us. Brand new plane too.

Now every time I go fly, I’ve noticed I’m looking at everything, as if I’m expecting something to fail. How do I gain my confidence back?
>>
File: Chinese Comac C919.jpg (469 KB, 2048x1367)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
What does /gag/ think about China domestic passenger aircraft?

It is still early in testing but do you think we will finally see something to break up the duopoly that is Boeing and Airbus?
>>
>>1137003
>Chink shit
>Take on Boeing & Airbus

No.
>>
I'm going to the air museum at RAF Cosford on Saturday, here's a list of everything there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_at_the_Royal_Air_Force_Museum_Cosford

Anything anybody wants any pictures of whilst I'm there?
>>
>>1137009
they'll probably sell a ton in africa, SEAsia, and latin america.
>>
File: Tu334TakingOff[1].jpg (129 KB, 980x704)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>1137003
Needs a ready market.
Oh wait.
>>
>>1137044
Of course they will; similar markets that Russian manufacturers sell too, for similar reasons: it's cheap and those places have lax maintenance & safety regimes. Airbus & Boeing have very little to worry about from Comac right now.
>>
Is it true that there is a high demand for pilots in North America?
>>
>>1137093

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/27/news/companies/pilot-shortage-figures/index.html
>>
>>1137106
Holy shit! That's a lot of jobs
>>
>>1137048
So they're going to follow the Russian model of selling some domestically but failing to globalize it. Mkay.
>>
>>1137003
No. Given what Comac has stated as the specs, it's not even operationally competitive with the previous generation of 737s/A320s, let alone the MAX and neo.

And then there's the whole global supply chain and maintenance structure, which won't exist for Comac. Plus there are operating cert issues. I guarantee you will never see one of these at a US airport and I doubt a single one will be sold to any Western airline.
>>
>>1137121
All they have is a bad copy for the Dornier 728
>>
>>1137123
Nah, it's closer to (but a bit smaller than) the 738 and A320 in size/capacity.
>>
>>1137123
>>1137129
The 728 was more like an Embraer E-Jet.
>>
>>1136059
what went wrong?
>>
>>1137121
>operationally competitive
What does this mean? Range, capacity, fuel consumption etc?
>>
>>1137202
It has lower range, capacity, and fuel efficiency than what it claims to compete against. And I guarantee maintenance will cost more and be less flexible.
>>
>>1137200
Panam stopped existing
>>
File: hanging wojak.png (440 KB, 645x1260)
440 KB
440 KB PNG
>>1137208
and with it, so did the glory days of air travel.
seriously i will never not be mad that they never got bailed out, especially after all they did for the government
>>
>>1136937
I feel like what they put you through in IFR training would be more difficult than an actual emergency situation. For example, it's common in IFR training (and testing) to fly partial-panel - not just enroute but also approaches - entirely under the hood. This greatly increases reliance on the limited instruments you have remaining, as well as overall workload compared to either normal instrument flying or to emergencies under VMC. Realistically, *most* IFR flight is not in actual IMC, and even if the failure does occur in actual IMC, there's a good chance you (and ATC, upon announcing your emergency) can make your way to VMC in fairly short order. From there you may be able to land visually, if you're lucky, or if not you'll at least have a much easier time dealing with the problem than you would during training under the hood.
>>
>>1137020
Yeah, man. Get some pictures of that Flying Flea. And the Me 410. And anything else you find interesting.
>>
>>1137245

Will do my dude.
>>
>>1136104
Who's the pilot in command again?
Yeaa das rite, shut yo ass up and change my radios, back seat bitch
>>
who /aircraftleasing/ here
>>
File: deliveryService[1].jpg (1.26 MB, 2000x972)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>1132910

That's not possible. Look at the wing fillets and stuff, that's composite. If anything it looks like an Extra 500. I got nothing reverse searching it.
>>
File: 74548_1500266203.jpg (435 KB, 1280x739)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
>>1137482
RA2847G is an Antonov An-2MC (TB-2MC) of SibNIA Airlines.
You now know as much as I do.
>>
>>1137510
Here it is in the rain.
>>
File: RA2519G.jpg (1.07 MB, 1600x1090)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>1137513
Missing link?
>>
>>1131287
Desk job for an airline, if you can get it. If you're in college American Airlines hires 20 engineers and 6 management students per semester as interns. You do need to pass a background check though, but you get pay, free standby tickets and 12 hours of college credit.
>>
>>1137552

Also Avionics.

When I went to the US Virgin Islands à few years ago, I was sitting at a beach bar and I saw a guy with an United Airlines polo shirt drinking. I went over and talked to him. He said he was a Avonics tech and had just finished a flight, and had 2 days to chill on Saint Thomas. He said all he does is occasionally gets to fly jumpseat for work and services the avonic systems
>>
>>1137482
yeah bud it's literally a modernized an-2
>>
File: marquee.jpg (323 KB, 1280x720)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
>>1136094
>hating on commercial aviation

delet this
>>
>>1137770
Cant wait to see the 777X for real. Its going to be gorgeous.

What I wanna know is if Boeing can bring down the MTOW enough for it to compete with the A350-1000. That thing can carry as many people as a 300ER and is 20-30 tons lighter. Crazy.
>>
>>1137903
The A350-100 holds as many people as the 777-300ER if the former is in a 2-class config and the latter is in a 3-class config. The exit limit is 440 vs 550. In reality, the A350 fills the gap between the 777 family and 787 family. And the 777X will fill the area beyond what the current 777 family does, which makes sense because nobody is buying 777-200s anymore (787s and A350s instead). With the passenger 747 and the A380 dying off, that will be the new standard for large capacity.
>>
>>1137922
So Boeing will continue selling the 300ER along with the 8 and 9X, while replacing the 200LR and ER with the 787 and losing a lot of that market to the A350?
>>
>>1137928
787 is selling like hotcakes what are you talking about
>>
>>1137946
I mean the 777-200 market. The 787 is smaller, in normal 2 or 3 class configs, and the A350 is selling a lot as well. Also, both are more efficient than the 777, regardless of size and regularly cruise much higher. I wonder if the 777X will be a huge success with airlines other than the ME3.
>>
>>1137947
No, the 787-10 is slightly higher capacity in a typical 2-class configuration than the 777-200. It's 330 vs 315. Both have an exit limit of 440.

So in terms of capacity the 787-10 replaces the 777-200 segment. Meanwhile, the 777-8 replaces the -300 segment and the -9 is a new level of capacity beyond what has ever been done in a big twin before. The A350 is also geared more towards connecting hubs, as is the case with the 777. But the 787 is designed to not only connect hubs, but also to make more long haul point-to-point routes economically viable.

Keep in mind though, that this is an oversimplification. The correlation between range, capacity, and specific fuel efficiency is what determines the unofficial segments, and the distinctions between them can be pretty hazy.
>>
>>1137951
Can Airbus stretch the A350 even more to compete with the 9X? I really wanna see some performance figures from the 777X and how much of an edge, if any, the A350 has in terms of costs per passenger mile.
>>
>>1137962
Airbus is considering streching the -1000, but hasn't decided whether or not to go ahead with it yet. But Boeing is also considering stretching the 777-9 into a -10 variant. Otherwise ideas are in response to a Singapore Airlines study request. And both are also tinkering with configurations for Qantas' desire to be able to fly nonstop from London to Sydney without making massive capacity reductions from standard seating capacities.
>>
>>1137967
These ideas*

That's what I fucking get for phone posting.
>>
>>1137967
Wont Airbus have an advantage in stretching the A350 considering its a newer design with probably room for stretching while the 300ER was already a stretch of an existing design?

Also, how many will SA and Qantas buy to warrant more improvements?
>>
>>1137988
No. And very few.
>>
>>1137988
Why not? I read that the 300ER was "underwinged" for its size and Boeing has a general philosophy of more thrust from big engines vs Airbus' larger wings.

Still, I doubt either manufacturer is going to invest in development for something that does London to Sydney or whatever Singapore wants.
>>
File: 1451883192131.png (9 KB, 426x364)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>be aero engineer
>company on christmas break
>don't have to go to work
>more time to shitpost on /n/

happy holidays /gag/
>>
>>1138069
MERRY CHRISTMAS you mean
>>
File: 757 cockpit at night.jpg (645 KB, 1024x682)
645 KB
645 KB JPG
give me some night pictures /gag/
>>
>>1138069
What company do you work for?

>>1138154
>those thick cables
If they get damaged, is the AP fucked?
>>
>>1138226
boeing :^)
>>
>>1138226
i guess, but what the fuck is gonna damage them outside of an autistic pilot
>>
>>1138229
>Boeing
>christmas break
How many 787's and 777's are gonna get set back cause of it?

>>1138230
Tampering before the flight? Do preflight checks involve checking the AP?
>>
>>1138258
who the fuck would tamper with an auto pilot? how would they even get the chance to do so? also yes.
>>
>>1138261
Engineer/technicians working on the plane at some point. Seems useless though, if its going to get checked before the flight.
>>
>>1138258
None, or at least it wont make things worse than before. We do christmas break every year, so its planned for in the firing order.
>>
File: 1490895125527.jpg (267 KB, 1200x801)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>1129851
>the market is also flooded
I've been hearing there's a pilot shortage. I'm not a pilot so I don't know what the job market's like, but I work at an FBO and pick up stuff chatting with pilots. Could it be regional or different for fixed and rotary?
>>
>>1133277
They also recruit civilians for WOFT, but that's a pretty hard process. I assume the prior service/active duty process is pretty involved too. You could also enlist and use the GI Bill for flight school if you don't want to fly for the military but I hate the faggots who enlisted for the benefits. They always had their head in the wrong place and sucked at their job.
>>
Merry Christmas lads
>>
>>1138692
Merry Christmas broham. Would've been nice to get my medical certificate for Christmas.
>>
I was offered a job doing part 135 charter when I hit 700TT for Via Air on a emb-120.

Would it be better to do that or just stay a CFI?
>>
>>1139074
Where are you teaching to even entertain the idea of turning that down?
>>
>>1131287
Some sort of EMS provider for a air medical transport company like Air Methods. I'm not sure what level you have to be though.
>>
>>1138305
plus it would be pretty fucking obvious.
>pilot walks in
>sees that the giant fucking wire on the front of the autopilot has been severed
>calls for replacement plane and makes everyone wait
>>
>>1138261
oh man those old cabins were the best, so comfy.
>>
>>1139146
They'd be more careful to cover it up with tape or something to make it look normal.
>>
>>1132993
Thats because the salaries do keep going up. The legacy carriers contracts all have stitpualtions stating that if one carrier, say delta, has a 10% increase then united' contract states that they also get a 10% increase.

There's an arms race of salaries
>>
>>1139298
Is that for captains/FO's or all staff?
>>
>>1139298
>>1139310

>United pilots approved a two-year UPA extension to 1/31/19 that includes industry-leading pay rates
>Pay raises will be 3% January 2017, 4.42% February 2017, 3% January 2018, 4% January 2019.

Hourly captain wage pic related
>>
>>1139327
Damn, 767 pilots don't get widebody pay?
And why is it broken down by series? I would think A319 pay and A320 pay would be the same
>>
>>1139380

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/legacy/united_airlines
>>
>>1139383
I mean I've seen the scale before...I was just wondering if anyone with industry experience could chime in and explain why it is that way
>>
>>1139385

Because UA wants to pay their pilots more
>>
>>1139388
Did you read what I wrote? I want to know why
1.) 767 pilots dont qualify for widebody pay
2.) different aircraft series (A319/A320) pay differently
>>
>>1139390

>different aircraft series (A319/A320) pay differently

maybe they pay A320 more than A319 because they are responsible for more passengers?
>>
>>1139390
>767 pilots dont qualify for widebody pay
what? the 767 is by definition a widebody aircraft that makes long haul flights
>>
>>1139391
but the 738 and 739 pay the same
>>
So guys, how about that general aviation? anyone fly over christmas?
>>
>>1139395
>flying during a blizzard
no thanks i dont like certain death
>>
>>1139395

Our 172 doesn’t have anti-ice equipment
>>
>>1139404
Hey, you gotta' break some eggs to make an omelet.
>>
airliner dogfight
>>
>>1139392
exactly, and the 767 pay is much more similar to the narrowbody pay when it should be more similar to the widebody pay
>>
>>1139074
What are you on dude

Unless the charter job has really really really bad t&c's take it
>>
>>1139395
No because I got a TFR for Christmas
>>
Are there any fucking jobs that don't require a minimum of 1200 flight hours? Holy shit, maybe the industry deserves to go under.
>>
>>1139808
CFI, pipeline patrol, Aerial survey.
we out here grindin my nigga
>>
>>1139824
ayyyy Aerial Survey whatup. grinding hard. worked thanksgiving and christmas but im gettin them hourz
>>
>>1139824
>>1139870
What does aerial survey consist of? Surveying the terrain?
>>
>>1139808
i am at 400 hours here mang. grinding it out.
>>
>>1139824
Where do you even find pipeline patrol jobs? Do I gotta move out somewhere like North Dakota or some shit?
>>
>>1138639
AA at least has a 15:1 pilot to plane ratio.
>>
>>1129796
Any recommendations for buying an aircraft?

Things I'm looking for:
>Not too expensive
>STOL
>Can carry some payload
>Not too slow
>Land in water if possible(By attaching floats later on when I want.)
>>
>>1140217
Also in Australia, would like to do cross country if possible as well.
>>
>>1139889
In my case its taking photos from 2000 to 9000 AGL in a 172. I've got 5 cameras in my plane that are hooked up to an on-board computer. I fly a preprogrammed GPS route and the cameras fire automatically. Almost always a lawnmower/zamboni pattern.

Any other survey folks on here?
>>
>>1140217
STOL CH 801
Something like the STOL CH 801.
Also thoughts on that aircraft?
>>
>>1140217
Can you handle the fuel costs and maintenance?
>>
>>1140246
Depends what they are.
>>
This is more of a commercial aviation question, but I don't think it warrants it's own thread. How do they calculate how much to fuel to carry for short-haul flights? I imagine they don't fill the tank all the way to save on money, but what if they are going into some place like DFW and get stuck in a holding pattern for a few hours?
>>
>>1140217
Avid flyer/kitfox may be another reasonable option. Just please get a decent amount of instruction before you go ball up your first tail wheel.
>>
>>1140337

You have to have enough fuel to fly to your destination, your alternate airport, and then for an additional 45minutes
>>
>>1140220
Fuck, that sounds interesting. What are the photos used for? How long is the average sortie, and is the flying regular?
>>
would doing parabolic maneuvers and barrel rolls be acceptable way to defeat potential hijackers in an airliner?
>>
>>1140373
It would be a good way to get sued to hell and back
>>
>>1140353
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>1140217
how about just a 172?
>>
>>1140217
Cessna 170. Usually you can find one that comes with the skiis, bush gear, and floats. if you can, get it off of some old guy who lost his medical. There is a good chance it'll be in amazing condition with the engine serviced only a few hours ago.
>>
>>1140373
The captain of FedEx 705 tried it. Hard to say if it helped or not. Keep in mind, it will impair anyone trying to fight back as well as the hijackers. themselves.
>>
>>1141074
I imagine it would work well to throw the hijackers into the nearest wall when they're least expecting it. Could at least potentially disarm them.
>>
>>1140163
Airliners fly round-the-clock. Pilots may spend no more than 8 hours per day at the controls as per pilot rest regulations. On longer flights, it's common to have multiple crews (with two pilots each) take turns on-duty. On top of that, an airline pilot's schedule frequently involves considerable time off (i.e. two weeks on, two weeks off). Thank the unions for that one.
>>
>>1140217
Sounds to me like you want a 180 but without having to pay for a 180.
>>
I love planes, but I also love having money.
How do I cope with having only one of those things?
>>
>>1141184
Airliners fly on autopilot for everything that isn't takeoff, landing, or emergency maneuvering.
Those checklist-jockeys aren't even close to being overworked.
>>
>>1141567
Airplane Repo
>>
>>1141567
Model airplanes I guess.
>>1141569
No disagreement here, but legally-speaking they need lots of pilots to keep the jets flying.
>>
File: IMG_5334.jpg (1.63 MB, 3264x2448)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
>>1141567
Flight sim!!
>>
>>1141761
where's your VOR and nav aids bruh?
>>
File: CAMERA RIG WALDO.jpg (36 KB, 960x637)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>1140220
I used to do that! Except our cameras weren't automatic (open window of a 182). That led to me flying UAVs overseas. Where you based? Hiring? Looking to do that again when I get back to USA soon.
>>
>>1139917
I know of at least one pipeline patrol job just north of Los Angeles, flying Citabrias all day, every day.
>>
>>1141761
He said that he likes to *have* money.
>>
>>1140220
What's the market for UAVs there?
>>
Hiya /gag/gers

Should I bid on long haul or stay on comfy short haul?
>>
File: IMG_5613.jpg (1.5 MB, 3264x2448)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>1141763
Wherever I want it, I guess!
>>
>>1140360
Not entirely sure what the photos are used for. The company who sells them is called Pictometry, you can google them. Average sortie is 4.5 hours right now (Winter has smaller sun angle). In the spring we will be flying twice a day up to 7 or 8 hours in the air. We fly every day that the weather is good. I flew 23 hours in the last 4 days (some relocation flights).
>>
>>1141775
Haha that looks pretty ghetto compared to our setup. I'm based in Indiana, but am on the road for 7 straight months. The aerial survey companies typically hire in Septmeber for the October - May season, but people quit all the time and they will need to hire immediately. Won't hurt to throw in an application.
>>
File: POD IN LA.jpg (142 KB, 640x480)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>1142030
Awesome, thanks Anon! Here is a slightly less ghetto setup... very similar camera to what I used in UAVs (not suitable for mosaic work).
>>
File: tiny aircraft carrier.jpg (116 KB, 800x698)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>1141834
UAVs would not be a good substitute for a manned plane flying 2000' for hours at a time. UAVs must legally stay in line-of-sight from the operator, at low altitude. So long as those restrictions are in place, manned patrol/photo missions aren't going away anytime soon. Here, have a mini aircraft carrier made from an LST landing craft.
>>
>>1142013
Holy cow, that setup is fucking awesome, dude. Do you ever use DCS?
>>
>>1141776
Hiring? Post that shit nigga
>>
>>1142034
haha nice. I was parked next to a plane like that today. Owned by local city government in Virginia. I asked the pilot what they do and he was hesitant to answer any questions and bailed on me.
>>
>>1142029
Sounds like you're flying as much as your FDTL would allow. Excellent way to rack up those hours.
>>
>>1142036
>UAVs must legally stay in line-of-sight from the operator, at low altitude.
Those limitations can be waived on a case-by-case basis. I doubt they'd approve it over populated areas, though.
>>
File: pileline patrol.jpg (276 KB, 1920x500)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>1142059
>>1142059
KCSI Aerial Patrol in Bakersfield... I was giving them some advice regarding UAVs, but the restrictions were deal-breakers for them, so they're gonna stick with dudes in Citabrias practicing their highway hypnosis over pipelines. Alternate would be 2 dudes in a pickup driving the same route & stopping every few miles to set up a UAV launch. My dream-job of the week is manned payload operator for TV news, preferably L.A. area Anybody got some good leads or contacts?
>>
>>1142076
Ah, congrats on bumping into a conspiracy theory! Some of those are used for traffic lights coordination (their story, seems legit enough I guess), others owned by cover companies for some kinda law enforcement/secret-squirrel stuff. Like I said, virtually identical to some of the decent UAV cameras we used.
>>
>>1142399
how serious are they about their hour requirements? I saw a want ad and the want someone with 1200hrs
>>
>pro tip: if you crave human touch
if you ever fly, opt out of the scanner and some one is forced to pat you down. Not in a sexual way just nicely patting in a caring way to make sure you arent dangerous.
>>
>>1142400
Not him, but I used to work for a company that used a setup almost exactly like that for surrogate UAV defense contracting stuff
>>
>>1142405
I saw that post.
Was it in a /pol/ thread?
>>
>>1142406
Yes, I've also seen surrogate UAVs in Gaithersburg (looked like a Velocity). Also, Civil Air Patrol is doing that with C-182s to train camera operators. Cool way to get some free flying.
>>
>>1142403
No idea... you can call/email to ask them. Does seem absurdly high. Certainly less skill than towing banners, which I started right after my commercial checkride.
>>
>>1139074
I worked at a facility that serviced Via, trying to get Via to pay their bills was like pulling teeth.

it got to the point where they owed us months of ramp and fuel invoices, we started parking a fuel truck in front of their airplanes at night because we were convinced they were going to get onto our ramp from somewhere else on the field and make off without paying. Mickey Mouse operation.

That said, the pilots were decent people.
>>
>>1137770
This thread is for general aviation or "GA". That means everything except airlines.
>>
>>1140373
could work. It's no holds barred at that point, so do whatever you think will work.
>>
File: Screenshot_4.png (646 KB, 1373x961)
646 KB
646 KB PNG
Guess SkyWest flies A320s now
>>
File: Zenair CH601XL_CH650.jpg (65 KB, 1000x693)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1140227
I love Zenith / Zenair Ultralights.
>>
>>1140219
>>1140217
>Australia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabiru_J170
>>
>>1138639
>>1140163
The CBC says Canada is facing a large pilot shortage, especially with new Pilot Fatigue legislation coming into force. They want aircraft schools to shit out 300 more pilots a year than they are currently to attempt to catch up. Something like a 6,000 pilot shortage.
>>
>>1142865
This general is slower than chilled molasses already, and you want to chase some of the nGA posters away. Naw m8, let them post I say.
t. LSA beginner
>>
>>1143104
Hmm. How juicy is it though? Would it be worth carpetbagging over from the US? I hear it's not hard to convert FAA certification to a TCCA license.
>>
>>1143146
Why would you go through the trouble of leaving the US to work in Canada when the US has the exact same problem ?
>>
>>1143104
There wouldn't be such a pilot shortage if the fucking hour requirements weren't so retarded.
>>
I've been flying more frequently due to work, but I still cant get over my fear of flying. Everything about it just drives me nut, especially being in the air with full trust on a pilot and a metal container in the sky.

Help.
>>
>>1143352
>Everything about it just drives me nut
Try wanking a few times before you board, that should help.
>>
>>1143352
A pilot that likely has tons of flight hours and a metal container that has some sort of redundancy for pretty much every vital system.

I can't speak much to the human side of flying, but mechanically speaking it's probably one of the safest things made by man that you can do.
>>
>>1143484
>it's probably one of the safest things made by trump
FTFY
>>
Question for airline pilots

Are you able to work your schedule to get 4-5 days off occasionally without taking any days of paid vacation? Like if you worked your days off 1 week in order to get a few extra days the following week?
>>
>>1139808
>>1143300
Crazy stuff, I'm in Canada and was hired by a reputable regional with just less than 300TT and an unrelated degree.
>>
>>1143649

Colgan Air ruined it for everyone here in the US...
>>
>>1130706
Can confirm Archer fag here.
>>
>>1143649
Damn. What'd it pay? What kind of schedule did you have to work?

>>1143180
See the above-quoted post... the US might have it's own "pilot shortage" but we still have WAY more pilots than any other country. Canada's not very far behind, but given the ease with which a US pilot can hop over it wouldn't take much incentive to justify it. Other countries, such as China and Bahrain, have much higher hurdles to jump but will pay out the ass for a qualified foreign pilot since they have so few of their own.
>>
>>1143567
>Are you able to work your schedule to get 4-5 days off occasionally without taking any days of paid vacation?
Not an airline pilot myself, but knowing a few I can say yes, absolutely. Two-weeks on, two-weeks-off is actually a fairly typical routine work schedule for a senior airline pilot. To quote one 777 driver I know, "It's the best part-time job in the world."
>>
just practiced hovers at KSNA and a fucking apache flew over, where my socal niggers at
>>
>>1143734
2 on 2 off, 80 hours guaranteed a month. overtime 150% pay. making 55 cad before taxes.
>>
>>1143741
Helistream or Revolution?
I had a private CFI but I took my checkride with Rod at Helistream.
>>
Just got my Bose A20s in the mail. Since I'm not going flying until at least the 18-19th, I've literally been just testing them out with music over the Bluetooth and they're comfy and sound great. Realistically, how long am I going to be using these for? 5+ years if I don't upgrade?
>>
>>1143778
>Realistically, how long am I going to be using these for? 5+ years if I don't upgrade?
I used Series IIs for almost 15 years. Never liked the Xs one bit, and even the A20s didn't really jump out at me (not a fan of having that control/battery box dangling on the cord), so I stuck with the Series IIs until they quit supporting them.
>>
>>1143741
Sup bruh, fixed wing guy down in San Diego but I saw a blackhawk presumably from Pendleton hovering at Carlsbad yesterday. Was neat
>>
>>1143740

That’s good. My girlfriend lives in France and i’d like to be able to see her often
>>
>>1144063
>>1144063
>>1144063
new bread
>>
>>1140217
harrier

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.