[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 17 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: elite-turbo-muin-2016.jpg (22 KB, 430x430)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
would you prefer a smart turbo (zwift controls resistance) with a wheel roller, or a simple turbo with direct drive? which is better for training?
>>
File: get on my level.jpg (9 KB, 300x186)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Rolling pins. Anything else is for try-hard fgts
>>
>>1141766
don't you need a power meter to use rollers?
>>
>>1141768
nah dude you just pedal
>>
>>1141744
bought a smart trainer to replace normal one
> I have to shift less often
> The feeling of the resistance increasing is disgusting, feels like spilling glue on your tyres, nothing close to reality
> sell both trainers and buy a coat
>>
Can I use a smart turbo in an apartment without being murdered in my sleep by my downstair neighbors?
>>
>>1141744
>which is better for training?
Riding outside.
All you're doing on a trainer is turning pedals. You're not practicing bike-handling, you're not really climbing hills, and you're not getting experience riding in actual pack situations, actually pacelining, and so on. Also you're not really 'competing' with anyone. It's just turning pedals and comparing numbers. You may as well be sitting on the couch, drinking sodas and eating chips, playing a video game. Skip the trainer whenever possible and ride outside.
>>
>>1141744
>>>/fit/
Trainers are not a form of transportation.
>>
>>1141915
Conversely your mom is a form of transportation since I ride her ass all the time.
>>
>>1141766
I was unironically going to stop at the grocery store on my way home to buy some rolling pins for this purpose, but decided not to.

Then I saw this thread, I think I'm gonna do it.
>>
>>1141744
>>700 dollhairs for a smart trainer
fuck off
>>
>>1141913
And sometimes the weather doesn't allow for training outside or you simply don't have enough time to go ride outside. You can do structured workouts much quicker on a trainer because you don't have to spend any time on transitions.
>>
>>1141796
I think some direct-drive trainers are pretty quiet, wheel-on trainers are fucking loud though
>>
>>1141915
posting is not a form of transportation >>>/adv/
>>
I use a rowing machine for home exercise, otherwise I'd have T-Rex physique. Not entirely related to the topic, just my two cents. Good full body workout.
>>
>>1141961
a good rowing machine (concept2) costs more than a turbo
>>
>>1141961
>implying T-Rex physique isn't the ideal male body.
You may not like it, but it is what peak performance looks like.
>>
>>1141932
>making excuses for not riding in winter
Do you even ride? Fucking casuals..
>>
>>1142010
I commute on a bike around the year. You're still delusional if you think it's possible to do proper structured workouts outside during winter. And I mean real winter and not the kind of weather Brits call winter. When riding on snowy and icy roads it's impossible to stay at desires power for extended periods. And it's not good for your respiratory system to push really hard in cold weather.
>>
File: zone1_for_days.png (16 KB, 416x269)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>1142135
>And it's not good for your respiratory system to push really hard in cold weather.
>>
File: IMAG1124.jpg (2.8 MB, 3000x4000)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
>>1142180
I unironically commuted 23 km today in a similar weather.
>>
>>1142135
>And it's not good for your respiratory system to push really hard in cold weather.

wtf how?
>>
>>1142216
What tires are you using?
>>
>>1142216
See? You guys are just being pussies, this Anon knows how to MTFU and get it done.
>>
>>1142224
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/03/cold-weather-can-give-you-exercise-induced-asthma/amp/
tl;dr: exercise-induced asthma

>>1142225
SCHWOBBLE marathon winter. Great for anything that isn't clear ice or icy ruts. They cut through snow pretty well which helps quite a bit when riding in snowy roads. And their rolling resistance isn't as massive disaster as on something like the ISP.

>>1142237
But I'm this guy >>1141932. Just because you can ride z2/3 rides outside doesn't mean that it's possible to do proper workouts. The roads aren't in good/safe enough condition to do high power workouts and as mentioned before burning lungs when it gets any colder. And often it's hard to ride slow enough to get proper recovery between intervals. So all you can do is churn out z2/3 time. For anything else it's the trainer.
>>
>>1142245
I notice you have drop bars and what looks like no fenders- CX bike?
>>
>>1142249
It has fenders but there's a lot of clearance to the tires so that snow doesn't get packed in them, the front fender doesn't come past the fork because of that. And yes it's a cx bike.
>>
>>1141744
The noise most of the indoor trainers produce is reason enough for me to never buy any form of them. Instead I have pic related. Together with a pair of Powertap P1's. It's great for Zwift and makes almost no sound at all.
>>
>>1142655
this is something I am looking into, I live in a hick town and people are not so bike friendly around here. I havent really found a spin bike for cheap that fits close enough to my road and cx bikes. Pic related was at my old gym and fits perfect, but $1200 for a spin bike is kind of overpriced imo.
>>
>>1142655
direct drive trainers are typically much quieter as there is nothing rubbing to provide the resistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0kfgOhO5X4
>>
>>1141794
which one did you buy mate? i just bought one as well and have no experience with trainers
>>
>>1142731
I had the trainer shown in that video. A spinning bike is way more quiet.
>>
>>1141766
can you really get enough resistance on those?

In any case expensive trainers are worth it for the diminished sound alone. Roller-based setups are loud as fuck.
>>
>>1141913
Rollers actually really help for pack riding, teaches you maximum stability.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.