[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 74 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

TTC font edition

Old thread: >>1090059
>>
Are new stations this aesthetic anymore, or do they all follow a copypaste design to convey familiarity?
>>
>>1150244
Really depends. The new stations on the extensions are all unique but the stations on the Crosstown will all follow a standard design principle (with some variation here and there). I guess you can say Metrolinx wants uniformity, while the TTC strives for uniqueness. To be honest as well the TTC hasn't really had a good "aesthetic" since the vitrolite tiles were removed from the original stations.
>>
File: U-2atSunset.jpg (75 KB, 1280x822)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
If your name is "Kevin" and you're reading this

Fuck you.
>>
File: FWLRTHuLRT.jpg (174 KB, 750x874)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Metrolinx is at it again with station naming...

Finch West LRT:
Kipling > Mount Olive
Islington > Thistletown
Weston > Emery Village
Jane > Jane and Finch

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/engagement-initiatives/stop-naming-finch-west-lrt

Hurontario LRT:
Gateway > Brampton Gateway
Highway 407 > 407 & Hurontario
Eglinton > Eglinton & Hurontario
Duke of York > Celebration Square
Main Street > The Exchange
Central Parkway > Fairview
Dundas > Dundas & Hurontario

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/engagement-initiatives/stop-naming-hurontario-lrt
>>
>>1150337
>Jane > Jane and Finch
You know I can live with the other names, but this one is just silly. I guess this is what happens when you have 2 stations serving the same neighborhood. The Jane & Finch stop should be "Driftwood" but that name is already being used on the stop right before I think. I guess this also means Metrolinx at least is committed to the Jane LRT so the stop at Jane & Finch would use the TTC's interchange name convention.
>>
>>1150337
The proposed names for the Finch West LRT are not bad, I kinda like the idea of stations being named after the neighbourhood or area's name. The ones for Hurontario turned out to be absolutely retarded though
>>
>>1150425
Wait, so are stations not normally named after the area they are in?
>>
>>1150487
No they are normally named after the street they are on or close to. This is pretty much because pretty much every neighborhood has no sort of notoriety and name recognition except for a select few (i.e. Driftwood, Malvern, etc. which most people know). It's much easier to go by street name since that is what everyone in an area and across the city immediately recognize. For example every one has heard of Dufferin Street, but I can guarantee almost nobody has heard of "Fairbank" which just so happens to be the name of the Crosstown station at Dufferin and Eglinton. Obviously there are exceptions, some stations are named after people, places, and neighborhoods.

I personally don't really mind the names except some like renaming Eglinton West to Cedarvale which to me is a stupid thing to do, since EW has been around since the 70's and everyone knows it. Also Metrolinx said they wouldn't rename existing TTC stations and here we are. Other stations like Sloane and "Hakimi-Lebobic" are also silly but that's because imo they chose the wrong names (Sloane should be Bermondsey, and Hakimi-Lebovic, should just be Lebovic since these name have far more recognition in the area).
>>
File: DU0wDqKV4AI1Ujt.jpg (108 KB, 1000x500)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>FUCK THE KING STREET PILOT PROJECT
>WE WILL PROTEST BY PLAYING STREET HOCKEY AND BIG ICE SCULPTURES
When will they learn?
>>
File: DUy4NNBWkAI4S6v[1].jpg (145 KB, 900x1200)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
what the fuck happened today?
>>
>>1150650
Jesus, does it even get this bad in fucking China or Bangladesh?
>>
>>1150650

What am I looking at? Is that a train station? Was there a special event?
>>
>>1150728
Yes
>>
>>1150650
In Hong Kong it is worse
>>
Hope none of you were gay in the past few months.
>>
File: file.png (792 KB, 750x791)
792 KB
792 KB PNG
>>
>>1150844
I am but I never go to Church & Wellesley so I think I'm safe
>>
Is it possible that all of the overcrowding, combined with the upcoming elections, actually makes all three levels of gov agree to get DRL funded and shovel-ready ASAP?
I suspect if this crowding happens again someone ends up falling on the tracks and dying that might be enough to make DRL happen.

OR

Doug Ford gets elected and we get Sheppard East subway extension to the Zoo
>>
>>1150620
I have a feeling Kit Kat's revenues have been declining steadily for years but now Carbone has a convenient way to scapegoat the Pilot. Has anyone here actually eaten there? Seems like a pre-theatre tourist trap kinda place.
>>
>>1151055

>Shovel-ready

Is the EA regarding the DRL finished or is that still ongoing?

>>1151058

The menu + prices sure look like it (being a tourist trap), then again the current theatre season probably didn't help either since one of the theatres was closed and the other's show seem to be more geared towards families

http://www.kitkattoronto.com/menus/
>>
>>1151274
>Is the EA regarding the DRL finished or is that still ongoing?

Hasn't even started yet. According to Jennifer Keesmaat on Twitter, she said the EA was supposed to start in 2017 but was pushed back to fall 2018.
>>
>>1150650
>tfw Tokyo and Seoul remotely lock the turnstiles from the control centre if they have to have trains passing without stopping due to a technical issue or an accident to prevent platform overcrowding
>tfw they also have LED status displays at the entrance to people don't even try to enter if there is an overcrowding situation
>tfw they had this since the 90s
>>
St. Catharines checking in.

Everyone over 16 drives, 300,000 gives you your choice of houses, we clean up YOUR dead bodies, no transgenders to expose your kids to, robust trades economy, and surrounded by wineries and farmland.

Why are you paying $2500/mo for the privelege of riding the bus everywhere with a bunch of minorities?
>>
>>1151858
Because there are no $280K/yr corporate jobs in St. Cat.
>>
>>1151858
Because Toronto offers me a plethora of amenities that no small Ontario town ever could. Get it through your head that not everyone sees anything valuable in having a private automobile and big house
>>
Will Billybishop ever get the runway expanded for jest?
>>
>>1152042
>Expensive places to drink beer and coffee
>Theatres/art galleries/concert halls you'll never go to
>Shops that are more expensive than just going online.

Yeah, nah. City living is a meme.
>>
>>1152445
Who are you trying to convince? One isn't better than the other, each have their drawbacks. Glad you found a place you like to live. Some of us like the city.
>>
>>1152427
I think Miller and previous city gov's make that a very hard sell. Only way is to attach longer runway to some funding agreement (transit, infrastructure) that the city needs. Then they could sell it as win/win. I bet negotiations are ongoing. Though Porter and Ports Toronto have been silent on the issue for a while...
>>
Did you guys read the interview with Metrolinx's new CEO?
Among other things he says Union station will need *another* overhaul to accommodate RER - including all platforms (maybe raising them?) but especially track alignment and switches. It's like they never considered any of this before the Union renos. Any bets on how long he stays as CEO or is he gonna pull a Byford and leave for LIRR or something?

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/02/union-station-and-go-rer-metrolinxs-phil-verster-future
>>
>>1152594
RER was shoved by John Tory at Metrolinx well after the Union Station reno started. Now Metrolinx has to go beg the provincial and the federal governments again to get additional funding required to accommodate RER.

You see, once multi-level government-funded project starts, you can't make design changes or repurpose funding for something other than the design you went in with to get funding without putting the entire project on hold and going through the approval process again, which can take years.
>>
Shit you guys let this get to the 8th page already?

Let's talk about the GO Bus. I started using it this week and it's so fucking shit
>have to get to some carpool that isn't transit accessible
>schedule is off by a range of 10-30 minutes
>real time location data of the bus is inaccurate and almost made me miss it this morning

We badly need a new rail corridor in the GTA
>>
>>1153961
I've used it before (mostly the 407 West route) and it's nearly always on time.
>>
>>1153963
You mean 47? That's the exact one I've been using
>>
>>1150285
Are there any stations on the Crosstown that will be incorporated into another development like condos or commercial?
>>
>>1150347
>TTC's interchange name convention
Sheppard Yonge
Bloor Yonge
St George?
>>
>>1150337
Kipling and Islington need to change.
>>
So, any guesses on how much will this white elephant cost at the end of the day? $5 Billion?

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2018/02/09/release-new-cost-estimates-for-scarborough-extension.html
>>
>>1152591
>Though Porter and Ports Toronto have been silent on the issue for a while...
There's an election this spring, and federal election Fall 2019. No government is going to commit to something controversial lke that right now
>>
>>1154253
Why don't they just buy new vehicles?
>>
>>1154257

The newer vehicles are too long for the tight curves and TTC balked at buying used ICTS vehicles from Vancouver, frankly the whole Scarborough RT was a mistake in retrospect due to various factors and basically translated to the current white elephant

https://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5107.shtml
>>
File: file.png (621 KB, 1198x1052)
621 KB
621 KB PNG
everyone just loves to run a train on the ttc
>>
>>1155308
"hmm, work starts at 9am, buuut i could take the 9:30am train for $2.25, my boss will totally understand!"
>>
>>1155308

>Express bus service to help ease overcrowding on the Yonge Line

That'd bode well for the cagers in the city with a ton of buses running on Yonge
>>
aside from commuting, what are your guys' routes for joy rides and fast sprints? Been thinking of taking the don river whenever it's available
>>
File: kitkat.png (24 KB, 496x189)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/945f-King-Street_Jan-2018-Dashboard.pdf
KITKAT BTFO
>>
Patrick Brown is innocent and will go down as a martyr in the struggle against liberalism and womankind
>>
>>1150650
people were just too lazy to move to the far ends of the platform.

this pretty much looks like what i see everytime i change from the bloor line to the yonge line.
>go up stairs
>see huge mob of people
>o fuck its busy
>work my way though the crowd to get to the end of the platform
>practically empty
people in toronto are so fucking stupid.

>>1152042
>>1152445
>>1152588
good variety of food options otherwise downtown toronto sucks dick.

t. thornhill

>>1153961
lived in the GTA for 25 years and ive never used GO transit before. one day im going to take the GO train to barrie and back just to see what its like.
>>
>>1156677
double dubs of truth
>>
Not that I support him but god I can't wait for the white liberal tears when Doug Ford wins
>>
>>1156827

>Implying the Conservative Establishment wouldn't just "undo" their mistake and make sure Christine Elliot actually wins the nomination this time around

Doug Ford better have lots of $20 too
>>
>>1157024
how do I sign up for that shit
>>
File: XfeW6Yc.jpg (524 KB, 1983x1687)
524 KB
524 KB JPG
REPENT REPENT
>>
>>1157024
Then maybe the retards should've let the caucus appoint the new leader instead

>Doug Ford better have lots of $20 too
Did he say he was going to refund everyone's membership if he loses the leadership race? lmao
>>
>>1150620
I still don't understand what are those protests are all about.
>>
>>1157827
One italian restaurant which prays on tourists doesn't like streetcars, for some reason.
Almost all the other businesses in the area don't give a shit and are cooperating, except for this asshole.
>>
I always thought that the hockey on King St was actually a celebration of the pilot project, as in "look! we can now play hockey in the streets like we used to do as kids in the suburbs! Isn't this project great?" Seems like such a dumb way to protest. Idiots
>>
>>1157925
Well too bad the media isn't cooperating. They love feeding this gino attention
>>
is it hard to get a stop sign added to a street? I complained about some trees once & they were cut down
>>
>>1159196
Try contacting your councillor about it
>>
does the e in qew stand for elizabeth or expressway
>>
File: GO_Train_Blurry_CP[1].jpg (107 KB, 1077x613)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
Liberal gov wasting money on hydrogen fucking GO locomotives.

https://tvo.org/article/current-affairs/the-next-ontario/the-liberals-think-hydrogen-trains-are-the-future--but-what-if-theyre-wrong
>>
>>1159485
it's the Queen Elizabeth Way not Queen Elizabeth Expressway so I'd go with the former.
>>
>>1159624
I personally don't mind them looking into it, however I do take great exception to the fact that this may be there way of trying to cheap out on electrification. There are places in the system that these trains could be useful (i.e. the Richmond Hill line) but the major corridors (i.e. Lakeshore) MUST be Catenary, no exception. If the HyrdroTrains are only for low use routes where electrification is not worth it (or possible) than its fine, however if they intend to replace the entire fleet with these trains as a "cheap" alternative than there is definitely a problem.

Either way everyone who looks at this can see it reeks of politics and under the table dealings.
>>
I have to take a Greyhound Express to Windsor, how uncomfy am I going to be?
>>
>>1159778
Don't. Take the train.
>>
>>1159781
Costs twice as much and tickets are already booked
>>
>>1159778
Just don't loose your head.
>>
13 degrees today who cycle commuting?

I take the sherbourne cycle track and its fantastic except when you have to dodge crackheads
>>
What does everyone think about the shit that happened on Locke St. in Hamilton? For those who don't know, a group of 20-30 thugs in Hamilton smashed up windows of small businesses on a stretch of a gentrified neighbourhood on Saturday night carrying a banner saying "We are the Ungovernables" so obviously it's some fringe political group. You can see some pictures of it here: https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8297097-locke-street-bounces-back-after-terrifying-masked-mob-attack/

Degenerate genocide can't come sooner enough
>>
>>1162692
that it has nothing to do with transportation and it belongs on /pol/
>>
>>1162693
It's an urban issue of a satellite city of Toronto, most of the posts ITT and the rest of /n/ aren't about transportation and you don't seem to have a problem with that
>>
>>1162695
most of the posts do have something to do with transit actually.
>>
>>1150311
Kevin reporting in. "Fuck you" received and processed.
>>
Doug might have won. That high speed rail for Scarborough is closer to becoming reality.
>>
l m a o what a shitshow
>>
>>1164314
>That high speed rail for Scarborough
More like the Sheppard subway just came back from the grave
>>
>>
Another driver drove into the Streetcar tunnel on Queen's Quay today. Driver was from Quebec.
>>
>>1164608
good, they deserved it
>>
Is this a good idea?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Mills_LRT
>>
>>1164766
RELIEF LINE FIRST
>>
File: DZQh2fz.png (467 KB, 5001x1917)
467 KB
467 KB PNG
>mfw Doug wins the election
>>
>>1165225
>He thinks anything will be built.
We ain't building shit if you don't have a way to pay for it. Hell I won't be fucking surprised if the PC's start cancelling projects again.
>>
>>1165227
>he forgets the PCs built most of the subway system
>>
>>1165232
PCs basically ran the province unchallenged for 40-50 years. I miss that.
>>
>>1165232
>He thinks the PC's of today are the same ones from back then
The PC's from back then were "Red Tories". Today's PC's are Neo-Cons.
>>
>>1165233
Doug Ford is the start of a new era bud, Davis 2.0
>>
>>1165234
>The PC's from back then were "Red Tories".
no, Ontario is a much more conservative province than Down East and the West minus Alberta. And that's institutional, example our private car insurance, no provincial telecom service, non-subsidized heating fuel (until recently with subsidized electricity), etc. Ontario is a pretty conservative province. I used to live in Nova Scotia, so I have reference. Only thing Ontario missed out on with the PCs was privatising liquor sales
>>
>>1165245
Well yes we are a pretty conservative province, but the PC's back than really had a different mindset from today. PC's back than would be considered "Fiscally Conservative" but "Socially Liberal".
>>
>>1165248
the Province should sell "transit bonds" to raise money for transit projects instead of raising taxes. Then the province would be paying interest to residents of the province instead of to foreign lenders and more money stays in the province without going into debt
>>
>>1165250
Well something has to be done regardless. The idea that we can build all of this stuff while keeping the status quo is insane. I mean the SSE already has like a 2.3% Property Tax levy to pay for it through 2030 and even now it seems that may not be enough.

When you add other projects like say the DRL which can cost something close to $10B if it goes to Don MIlls, The Sheppard Line which can easily be another $5B+, and then finally GO RER is estimated at about $15B; its clear to see there is no way any of this can be done in if the current situation. Either we stumble upon a money tree or projects are getting cut and deferred.
>>
>>1165258
>The Sheppard Line which can easily be another $5B+
the sheppard LRT was priecd at 1.2bill but has been deferred indefinitely. Since Doug ran on the sheppard subway against Tory, I can see him funding that completion after scarborough. DLR will be last priority
>>
>>1165265
> DLR will be last priority
This is the absolute worse thing as well. The DRL is without a doubt the most important piece of Subway infrastructure Toronto may ever build and it is beholden to silly politics all because of "muh Downtown Elites" even though the DRL will benefit the suburbs far more.

Also as an aside, while Davis was fantastic in building Subway infrastructure and no one can deny that regardless of political stripe, Metro also played a row in its expansion and I really feel Toronto lost something when Amalgamation occurred.
>>
>>1165267
>Metro also played a row in its expansion and I really feel Toronto lost something when Amalgamation occurred.
Before amalgamation the concept was that each major suburb, North York (Yonge and Sheppard) Etobicoke (Islington) and Scarborough (STC) would each have their own competing downtown with Original Downtown Toronto. So that's why the lines were all built there first, and it's why the SRT was built to begin with. That idea turned out not to work because the majority of the development occurred downtown and majority of people live downtown. Now, no government has the political will to focus only on downtown Toronto because the suburbs feel left out, where when they had their own government, anything by metro seemed good and beneficial
>>
>>1165285
I do feel the loss of autonomy really hurt if not killed the areas outside of Toronto. That said to be frank I never saw the idea of each city having its own city centre as one that would truly succeed. I mean Scarborough, NY, and Etobicoke were never really planned to be cities from the start and you only need to look at the urban planning around there city centre's to see they were never gonna be anything like downtown Toronto. None the less though what they were aiming for back then is still better than what we have now.
>>
>>1165245
Ontario is like the one province that has all the shitty laws from all the other provinces in one place.
>>
>>1165245
>Only thing Ontario missed out on with the PCs was privatising liquor sales

I see no point in that if it's just going to be privatization à la Alberta wherein the government still has control over the sale of alcohol, from its pricing to its line of products. The only thing "private" about the sale of alcohol in Alberta are the retailers selling them. For that reason I see no benefit from the perspective of a consumer to privatizing the LCBO if it's still not going to be a free market
>>
>>1165636
would be nice not having to deal with the large crowds at the LCBO. on top of that their staff are overpaid.
>>
Imagine a world with two rail metro systems less than 60km apart, which are connected by a route that only runs 4 times a day.

This is the Kitchener-Toronto Corridor.

Fucking shoot me
>>
>>1165671
Metrolinx doesn't own the lines
>>
>>1165677
I know, CN doesn't let them do shitall. I heard they're in talks to build a bypass through the most congested section near Georgetown, and imo this is LONG overdue.
>>
>>1165687
Yes the "Missing Link" as it is called. They are also trying to get CP in on the discussions to get them off the Midtown Corridor since GO has wanted that line for decades now.
>>
>>1165690
Leaving railroads was a mistake :(
>>
File: 1510040502256.png (286 KB, 552x530)
286 KB
286 KB PNG
>>1165735
>mfw there used to be a railway spur that passed near the Scarborough Town Centre
>They tore it up in the 60's or 70's to build more suburban wasteland
I can think of a certain plan that would have found it real useful today.
>>
>>1165690
>>1165687
>>1165677
where would this line be built and for what purpose?
>>
>>1165662
First Canadian Place wouldnt have piss on the floor. Could it be the CN Tower?
>>
>>1165754
There was one up King here in KW too, and they spent the last 4 years with the whole city under construction putting it back in.

>>1165760
The train route exists (GO) as an extension from Brampton to Georgetown>Guelph>Kitchener, but due to the freight traffic on the rail it can only run ~4 times per day.
>>
File: Missinglink Rough.png (2.29 MB, 1502x966)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB PNG
>>1165760
Here's a very rough map of what is going on.
>>
>>1165784
Wow I didn't realize that the bypass was that straightforward. Does Who owns the green line west of Georgetown?
>>
>>1165786
Metrlinx owns the segment from Georgetown to Kitchener. The only section they don't own on that line is the section from Georgetown to the split north of Pearson.
>>
>>1165784
woah that would make milton so much faster
>>
>>1165671
are you suggesting we run LRTs all the way across?
>>
File: go train.jpg (48 KB, 1639x150)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1165796
I just want better GO service. Right now these are the only times from Kitchener to downtown Toronto each day. Weekends are worse. The buses do not go downtown..
>>
>>1165803
Soon!
>>
File: 1471273677898.png (399 KB, 400x525)
399 KB
399 KB PNG
>>1165843
>Keep taxes low
>Spend Billions on infrastructure
How's he gonna do it?
>>
>>1165848
the billions the liberals are spending on consultant friends and government programs
>>
>>1165803
good lord and i thought having to rely on YRT was shit.

>live south of steeles
>job is in markham
>gotta take yrt
>>
>>1165850
At least our bus service here will be better this year...they're opening the LRT, first rail transit within the city since the 40s
>>
>>1165849
Well it's better than claiming the private sector will pay for it.
>>
>>1165853
Metrolinx could have cut costs with the cross town if they contracted more with private developers to have the stations, above and below grade, incorporated into other commercial development. But metrolinks consultants sucked
>>
>>1165843

>Implying a political party of modern cagecucks will invest in public transit

Clearly the only solution is for Ontario to break up into four smaller provinces
>>
>>1165949
I don't have faith that if the GTA was its own province that only then would we be making progress. Most of the 905 especially is full of brown people who resonate more with Ford Nation than they do with latte liberals who never go west of Ossington or north of St. Clair
>>
>>1165848
Privatize the highways, folks!
Let it be someone else's problem!
>>
>>1166901
I can imagine how much this would drive car owners up the wall. They shit themselves at the idea of taxes being used to pay for transit, so it would be hilarious to see what would happen if the province said they would stop funding highway/road maintenance.
>>
File: file.png (3.93 MB, 1920x1080)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB PNG
>https://twitter.com/bradttc/status/974978308034256896?s=21
people have to be doing it on purpose no?
>>
>>1165967
implying I even cycle up the hill at davenport to get to st. clair
>>
>>1150337
For the Hurontario LRT, there is another proposal to change “Sir Lou” to “County Court”.

Don’t like the proposal as County Court is a crescent, and the south leg also has a stop (Ray Lawson).

Neglected to mention, “Rathburn” is proposed to change to “Mississauga City Centre”.
>>
File: file.png (280 KB, 640x513)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
hahah
>>
File: ZVmENJj.jpg (116 KB, 640x640)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Grow up
>>
>>1168235
what train is that?
>>
>>1168260
Bart
>>
>>1168226
Why even bother with Steeles BRT?
>>
>>1150337
>not tunneling under the 400
jfc, it's going to be a nightmare getting on the highway there.
>>
>>1168304
Who cares? Time for you to get out of your cage, faggot
>>
>>1150887
Jesus, what a shitshow.
>>
>>1169648
This is why we can't have nice things
>>
>>1168235
Do you canucks also have the middle-aged overweight ladies who sit in the aisle seat and look menacingly at anyone to scare them away from trying to sit next to them?
>>
>>1170606
yeah, so fat they need to walk with a cane at age 40 then get pissed when they dont fit in the seats
>>
>>1165949
You'd need to revise the Canadian constitution to do that.
>>
why can't the city post some cops wherever there's a sidewalk closed sign? it's free money from all the retarded pedestrians who think walking on a busy street is okay
>>
File: ontario high speed rail.png (157 KB, 1007x645)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
How do you feel about the routing recommendation for the Ontario High Speed rail?

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/publications/high-speed-rail-in-ontario-final-report/
>>
>>1172178
Toronto to Montreal would make more sense
>>
>>1172190

That'll sadly be under federal jurisdicton since they will have to deal with the Quebec provincal government as well, but they could do Toronto to Ottawa and eventually expand to Montreal
>>
>>1171728
I'd rather see them ticket drivers that go on King Street even though there is plenty of signage telling them they can't
>>
>>1166906
>How DARE my money go to public transit! I never take it anywhere!

Meanwhile, I never drive but many times more funding is spend on maintenance for car infrastructure than pedestrian or public transit.

You being interested in urban development has really opened my eyes to people's hubris, hypocrisy and just general stupidity and obliviousness. It was never so obvious before.
>>
>>1172178
Looks great to me. Saw everybody on twitter shitting themselves over it though. As if spending Ontario transit funding outside of Toronto is such a crime.

Toronto-quebec would make a lot of sense too, but then there wouldn't be the theoretical USA connection. It's also a longer distance, and less urban areas in between (this is basically hopping from one close city to another, esp, stage one). Going to ottawa-montreal-quebec or something would involve tons of rural track, and it seems densification is the current major target of a lot of this.

Theres also this latest narrative about the "Toronto-waterloo tech corridor" which really seems to me more like two seperate tech centres that sound nicer when they're lumped together into a "corridor." It would make sense if this is their vision to have better service between the two. As it stands, transit to Ottawa & Montreal (which is WAY further, I might add) has better service than southwest to KW, London, and Detroit/USA.
>>
>>1172378
Yes. Public transit isn't the enemy of the car, it is its greatest ally, since less people driving = less traffic. Now obviously some problems are a lot harder to solve. Once you get outside of old Toronto, we have to contend with suburbanism which is the antithesis of good urban planning and damn near impossible to make pedestrian and transit friendly. I liken it to a black hole, there is an event horizon and once you pass it there is no coming back. Unfortunately most areas outside the old city have gone well past the point of no return. The sole exception to this being the Weston area but thats because like Toronto it is over a century old and was built around an Interurban.

There's a reason the most successful cities in the world tend to be the older ones from the time of trains and streetcars.
>>
>>1172387
>The sole exception to this being the Weston area

Which Weston are we talking about? I was on Weston Road the other day and I was disgusted by it like with many other parts of North York. Looks like the same post-war suburbia just as the rest of the GTA
>>
>>1172653
The area I'm talking about in particular is the area of Weston Road and Lawrence. Unlike other parts of the area its a lot more compact and dense, which makes sense since that is where the original town was a century ago. That area to me feels more like a small town with its street lined shops than a suburban waste land.
>>
oh shit I didn't know there was a toronto general, fuck yeah.

Mississauga out here, not even a comfy spot like port credit, just endless suburbia and I have no friends or places to go. Anyone else wanna die because suburbia sucks so much?

Also what's service at everyone's local GO staiton like? Mine only has trains every half hour in the mornings only until 9, and then the same in the evenin, otherwise it's buses coming on a really shit schedule.
>>
>>1172677
Lakeshore west line in Oakville is 10min service or better during rush hour and every 30min throughout the day until 12:43am

Am living is that shithole Ottawa nowe though. Fucking lrt is delayed until November now.
>>
>>1172664
My dad grew up at Weston and Dixon road

He said it was the boonies back in the 60s
>>
>>1172178
Fucking dumb

Start with commuter service from Windsor area to London over to the Lakeshore west line

Stop subsidising the airlines and build the train from toronto to montreal via Ottawa
>>
>>1172200
The provinces can make agreements
>>
>>1172832
Check these
>>
>>1172677
I used to be pretty excited about the developments happening in Mississauga City Centre but the more I spend time there the more I realize that it's soulless as fuck and there's no hope for it. I guess Square One sucks out all life out of it but it's not the only thing to blame, it's also the absurdly wide ROWs that ruin any chance of a street life
>>
>>1173037
I completely agree with you man, wide streets are an incurable plague for good city development.
>>
>>1173089
You don't even need to look to Mississauga for that. Just look at the Scarborough Centre; there is nothing there that says "Pedestrian friendly, transit oriented development". Its no wonder it failed.
>>
>>1173090
I haven't been to that area in over a decade but it's pretty much the same shit as Mississauga City Centre from what I can remember. Literally Kazakhstan tier
>>
>>1173156
I live in Scarborough so I'm up there every now and then. Everywhere reeks of suburban car-centric planning. The area will never be a viable city centre like the city thinks it will even with the planned changes. Much like North York Centre, and Etobicoke Centre they are all just artifical islands of density in a sea of suburban wasteland. We can plan towers all we want, and redesign streets but they will always be second rate city centre's compared to Toronto. Those areas are flawed at there most fundamental levels so its no wonder they have stagnated.
>>
File: Port Credit GO Station.jpg (1.48 MB, 2048x3220)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
Renders of Port Credit GO.

Last year, it was announced that the LRT station will be located below-grade, allowing space for a plaza.

Latest Display Boards: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/HuLRT%20Display%20Boards%20-%20April%202018.pdf
>>
>>1173170
this makes me sad. There's only one street in Oakville maybe 2 with any street life. But knowing that any new development will have no street life is just sad. It's like the loss of an era of street life streets.
>>
When you realize the only reason they extended the Spadina line to Vaughan was so more people on the rapid bus system use the spadina line instead of busing down to Yonge to further put off the down town relief line because of city politics.

why was there no fuss about fucking vaughan getting a subway but Scarborough is always a pissing match?
>>
>>1173528
I think there was fuss over the Vaughan extension but not so much the extension it its entirety just everything north of Steeles. Politics played a huge roll in getting the Subway to Vaughan since it stopped in the Finance Ministers ward at the time. Nobody can deny that extending the Subway to York U at least was a good idea. Everything beyond though can be debated.

As for the Scarborough extension it is simply because A) There was already a fully funded plan that would serves Scarborough well into the future and B) Its $4 Billion+ for 1 single station. Compared to the TYSSE which was built with 6 stations for about $6 Billion its just absolutely insane what we are going to be paying for 1 single solitary stop.
>>
>>1173542

>Nobody can deny that extending the Subway to York U at least was a good idea. Everything beyond though can be debated.

Don't forget the extra funding provided by both Federal and Provincial governments as an incentive. At least with the Black Pioneer Village Station and beyond you can use them as hubs to divert buses away from York U since it is usually a shitshow there, and speaking of York U is GO planning to move some of its bus routes' terminus away from York U to 407 or is that just hearsay?

>The whole SSE bit

Don't forget that even with the subway stations in Warden and Kennedy it is still a suburban wasteland with mostly single homes surrounding them. So even with the best case scenarios of having multiple stops and not costing God knows how much (which no longer apply), the NIMBY-ism would be too strong to densify around the stations and cause the extension to bleed money anyway
>>
>>1173567
In the case of densifying along the SSE, the problem is there is literally nowhere density can spring up outside of the Scarborough City Centre. None of the potential alignments for the Subway had intensification potential since they are all considered "Safe low density neighborhoods, which would require re-zoning and zoning by-laws to change. Now I am a firm believer that McCowan is the worst possible alignment the extension could have taken and is the route of all the cost problems on this line. However even than no alignment would be able to overcome the fact that Scarborough only has 1 area in the entire city that can be gentrified.
>>
>>1173527
I live in Oakville too and boy oh boy can I not wait to finish school so I can move tf out. There's literally no hope for Oakville because NIMBYist backlash from old WASPs has been given too much influence on planning matters. They don't want to see any development on Lakeshore then wonder why half of the storefronts are boarded up

To add insult to the injury, we have Mayor Rob Burton tweeting something about how urban sprawl is bad even though you go on Dundas and see developments built in the past couple of years that are, you guessed it, nothing but sprawl
>>
>>1172677
Mine has 4 a day.... two to toronto ~ 7 am and two back ~ 7 pm
>>
>>1176052
is that the Barrie line?
>>
>>1176238
No, kitchener.

Praying for a rush on the HSR plan
>>
>>1177789
>>1177789
that will never get built lmao

more liberal promises because of the June election
>>
inb4 this storm isn't anything spectacular and the ttc is freaking out for no reason
>>
>>1172387
>investing in public transit causes less people to drive

people actually believe this lol
>>
>>1150650
Bloor-Yonge on a totally normal day.jpg
>>
has anyone taken a look at TTC realtime data? I fooled around with the nextbus data feed which provides GPS locations for buses and streetcars, but is there a way to get subway locations?
>>
File: zizekAok.jpg (8 KB, 300x168)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>mfw there's still snow
I love the cold and the overcast
>>
>>1179434
>is there a way to get subway locations?

No, not even the TTC knows where its trains are because the signal system isn't that advanced (which is why they're upgrading it). GPS is obviously not an option either since most of the subway is, as the name implies, underground
>>
>>1179694
>No, not even the TTC knows where its trains are because the signal system isn't that advanced

Is this true? Doesnt the subway operate on a block system, so at the TTC should at least know what section of track a subway is on
>>
>>1179736
TTC does use a Block System yes. However all they know is the Train is in the block, what they don't know is exactly where. Also this can be a bit of an issue if say a signal malfunctions since it may display something in the Block that isn't really there.
>>
that one part sucks
you know which one i'm talking about
>>
File: gzicydR.jpg (1.75 MB, 4208x3120)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>
>>1180507
isn't sheppard east LRT postponed indefinitely?
>>
>>1180563
Pretty much, ML doesn't have work starting on it until after Finch West is complete which as of 2 days ago is now 2023. City Council however asked City Planners to see how much it would cost to extend the Sheppard Line 2 stops to Victoria Park.
>>
>>1180565
Doug Ford has a hardon for subways, I bet if he wins we can see money idiotically spent on that line. They should just convert the subway to LRT, run it on the surface East of Don Mills, then West up to Finch and connect it to the Finch west line.
>>
>>1180657
Doug does have a hard on for Subways, but he also has a hard on for "Cutting Spending" and infrastructure projects are the first to go. We saw that with the last Conservative government.
>>
>>1180661
>We saw that with the last Conservative government.
The last Conservative government that built the last new subway line?
>>
>>1177903
I mean the line exists...we have GO service. It's just that we don't have much because of the portion that's owned by CP
>>
>>1180661
He had also parroted the idea of underground tunnels for cars. Say good bye to all that money.
>>
>>1180662
Yes the same Conservative Government that gutted said Subway lines funding and gave use the 5 stop stubway.
>>
File: Queens Quay.jpg (2.18 MB, 4032x3024)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
New bollards at the Queens Quay portal.

The barrier will be installed soon.

https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/988192600246145024
>>
>>1180702
The same conservative government that built 90% of the subway system
>>
How long before Doug Ford becomes the premier and cancels all public transit projects?
>>
>>1181382
about 2.5 months . Voting for him anyway. Fuck it
>>
>>1181381
The Conservatives of the 50's, 60's and 70's are a far cry from what exists today. People like Davis would be considered Red Tories today or straight up Liberal by today's standards.
>>
>>1181399
What's it like being a homosexual?
>>
>>1181392
guy's a massive cocknozzle tho- don't do it.
>>
Good News: You'll be able to use your smartphone to pay fares.
Bad News: It's going to be awhile (less than 5 years).
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/04/26/metrolinx-planning-to-allow-smartphone-fare-payments-as-part-of-presto-system.html
>>
So... what's going on with the DRL right now?
>>
>>1182101
talkin bout it>>1180507
>>
>>1181968
I don't know why Toronto is so uncreative with funding Presto buildout.

Seoul got a bank to upgrade the NFC system to accept debit card and smartphone payments for free in exchange for 12 months exclusivity (only that bank's debit cards could be used to pay transit fares during that period).
>>
File: file.png (504 KB, 800x400)
504 KB
504 KB PNG
>>1182318
>>
>>1182318
Exclusivity deals for payments are pretty fucking retarded, though I suppose 12 months isn't that bad
>>
>>1182648
Economic analysis showed 12 month exclusivity's value was about what the bank paid out to upgrade the payment system. Other banks were also invited to bind, and the winning bidder was the one that proposed the shortest exclusivity period.
>>
Anyone going to this?

Tonight at 6:30
>>
Pape stn is objectively the most aesthetically pleasing station.
>>
>>1179849
>people actually miss normal buses and wait 10 additional minutes for express buses thinking its faster.
>>
>>1183499
That's not how you spell Sheppard West (I want Downsview back)
>>
>>1183502
>being this low iq
>>
>>1183503
>He hates themed station designs
You're calling me low iq. Hold on let me guess, you're not even aware Sheppard West has a theme for its design.
>>
Which highway is the Ontario PC going to sell this time?

I hope they sell 401 so that all the cagers get permanently BTFO.
>>
>>1184193
>How to kill Ontario in one easy step
>>
>>1184209
>>1184193
Oshawa-to-Mississauga (one-way) on 401 at 407 ETR rush-hour toll rate

72.2km * (46.24 cents / km) = $33.39
+ $1 toll charge
+ $4.15 camera charge
= $38.54

>seething_cagers.png
>>
File: DcROaXcVMAA7Rsm.jpg:orig.jpg (620 KB, 3000x1982)
620 KB
620 KB JPG
That small ttc advocacy group put out their report card.
>>
https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/992041239263391746
it's something
>>
>>1184407
>Yonge North subway extension

What kind of retard thinks this is a good idea?
>>
>>1184505
Politicians in York Region.
>>
>>1184506
>we want subways but we don't want to pay for it
>lets make toronto pay for it
>brilliant!
>>
>>1184635
WE ARE GOING TO BUILD A GREAT SUBWAY TO RICHMOND HILL AND HAVE TORONTO PAY FOR IT.
>>
File: file.png (873 KB, 1242x1388)
873 KB
873 KB PNG
hearty kek
>>
>>1184193
Privatize every regional road, but remove the gas tax
>>
>>1186847
>Sheppard subway even mentioned
>Sheppard subway is higher priority than Downtown Relief Line

Why not just set fire to Toronto and burn it all to the ground at this point?
>>
>>1186847
Is there any benefit from handing over the subway infrastructure to the province, other than to give DoFo a feeling of control?
>>
>>1187307
Off the top of my head, the only benefit would the Province would have to pay to maintain and operate the system, although this could also be incredibly bad if somebody who wasn't keen on paying for things got elected. As well it kind of opens the door to privatizing the Subway which could be a disaster. I see this possibly having more cons then pros.
>>
>>1187310
Can't wait for TTC to be sold off to some Jewish private equity, stripped off, completely outsourced to Arriva, fare increased to $6, frequency cut by half to maximize profit.
>>
>>1188071
There are people out there who think this would be an excellent thing
>>
The contrast between Mississauga and Hamilton is interesting. Even though Hamilton has far more of an urban fabric than Mississauga could ever wish it has, the anti-LRT sentiment is stronger in Hamilton. In fact, the people of Sauga like the idea of the LRT so much they're demanding more stops on the Hurontario route

Why is this?
>>
>>1188580
The answer is really obvious; the impact on car traffic.

In Downtown Hamilton, one lane will be available for cars in both directions (between Mary and Wellington there is only enough space for westbound traffic). In addition, there will be no space for parking along King Street which causes opposition amongst business owners.

In Mississauga, there will be two lanes available for cars in each direction, even in Mineola where there are currently four lanes. Where Hurontario crosses the highways (with the exception with the QEW) there will still be six lanes. There's also no parking to deal with, as it isn't permitted in the first place and businesses have their own parking lots. That's why the Main Street portion got shot down, drivers were too inconvenienced.
>>
>>1188563
Toronto deserves to die.
>>
File: low iq.png (27 KB, 645x730)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>vote for politicians that promise to import immigrants en masse
>oppose any density to house the growing population

Toronto NIMBYs, everyone
>>
>not voting for NDP

lol you're retarded
>>
>>1191255
the shiniest turd is still shitty
>>
This year for Doors Open, Lower Bay Station will be accessible.

Saturday, May 26th from 10am to 5pm.
>>
>>1192141
lets go you autists im free at ten
>>
>>1192141
>>1192245
Iwent on Saturday. did you guys go? It was set up like a movie exhibit plus a nerdy lego dude
>>
>>1191255
>muh buses

Everything there except high speed rail the Tories have committed to
>>
>>1194626

>Implying the Tories wouldn't inevitably back out on most transit committments once a) they realize they have no money since LOL tax cuts or b) bow down to their suburb sprawl real estate overlords

Isn't a HSR to SW Ontario pretty much a pipe dream anyway?
>>
>>1194625
How long was the lineup? I was deterred from going because of that reason alone desu
>>
>>1194625
I was there at around 12. Did you check out any other buildings?

>>1194901
The line was very long but moved fast, I waited for about 15 minutes.
>>
File: 3354048.jpg (126 KB, 714x960)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>1194956
I was there probably around the same time desu

I got this sick pic from the Canada Life Observation deck, and then went to Fort York but the lego exhibit sucked, also went to Osgoode Hall and Old City Hall. Was a pretty good day downtown.
>>
File: IMG_20170330_161809221.jpg (1.34 MB, 2592x1456)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>1195090
I'm impressed at how good your trams look from above, Melbourne's trams leave a bit to be desired from above.
>>
>>1195136
I like these old Melbourne trams, they remind me of Europe.

Toronto's old streetcars are objectively ugly but of course you can never say that around Torontonians because they get all emotional over old-time mediocrity. It's why they cried when Honest Ed's closed and some record shop with a tacky sign was so sentimental to these people that they're going to fucking put it on another building
>>
The new buses are nice except the tripping hazard at the rear wheel well.
>>
>>1195384
I prefer the 2017 New Flyers a lot more.

I don't like that these and even the Nova artics have narrow rear doors. I also hate the wave to open door garbage, the touch doors are already bad enough.
>>
>>1195384
I like them a lot, maybe just because when I ride them they're much cleaner than most others. Are you a fellow Misissauganon? If so, based, good to know others love buses.
>>
File: TRADE WAR! TRADE WAR!.webm (642 KB, 1920x1080)
642 KB
642 KB WEBM
>>
File: doug_ford_sault.jpg (67 KB, 1200x774)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
PRIVATIZE ALL 400-SERIES HIGHWAYS NOW
>>
>>1197481

I'm pretty sure whoever suggests that will probably receive enough death threats for the rest of their lives, and IFF someone actually pulled it off then a politicide will probably happen for that party and their corpse will be hung like Mussolini in front of Queens Park
>>
>>1188611
hamilton really could be such a great city if the loudest voices there werent such absolute shitters
>>
>>1197481
privatizing the 400 series highways would honestly be the best thing for toronto urbanism imaginable
>>
>>1198726
Including TOLLING them all. ;)
>>
So who's ready for the Ford-cock to ram itself into our collective butts?
>>
>>1198990
wait till the cocksucker get elected pm.
>>
>>1198990
$7 TTC fare to pay for $20B star architect designed 1 station subway extension to Scarborough
>>
This fucking sucks. Do I need to start learning French and move to Quebec?
>>
>>1199006
alright, now what?
>>
Shit, just learned that Hamilton's bike share company got bought out by Uber. Even tho I don't live there I used their bike share system a few times and it's excellent and affordable, guess those days are gone now
>>
>>1195136
We call them streetcars, not trams. Idk why.
>>
>>1200333
Because that's the North American term for trams. Streetcar = street carriage (i.e. rail carriage), as opposed to a rail car on a private right of way. I still call everything a tram though, because that's what they're called where I live.
>>
>>1195136
The CLRVs and ALRVs are A E S T H E T I C as fuck. They're what american trams would have been like if they hadn't died out after the PCC era.
>>
>>1195143
Watchu talkin bout, willis? The CLRVs look like a modern 70s cousin of the PCC
>>
whelp, today sucked.
>>
>>1200745
I pass by st.george and bloor all the time. Don't think I can pass there anymore knowing someone's brains were apparently splattered over the ground. :/
>>
Crosstown LRT mockup station:
https://youtu.be/Z4MR_ph1Ro8
>>
>>1201889
Has any other subway system done this, like build a full-scale mockup for design verification?
>>
>>1201961
Off the top of my head no. The only thing I can think of as remotely comparable was the small platform level mock-up the TTC built at the exhibition back in the the 50's to show people what the Subway would be like. However that wasn't for design verification as much as it was to show off to the public.
>>
>>1200745
>>1200746
jesus christ this is getting out of control
>>
That dad man.
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/06/21/subway-lines-to-pickering-markham-in-the-long-term-says-doug-ford.html
>>
Will someone please assassin this wop?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/06/20/councillor-to-revive-push-to-cancel-finch-west-lrt-at-community-meeting.html
>>
>>1204182
lmfao maybe he confused Markham with Richmond Hil
>>
>>1204182
At least his heart is in the right place

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.