[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 56 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

RIP Stephen Hawking 1942-2018 🙏

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Post train maps from your country.
File: spoorkaart 2018.jpg (3.35 MB, 6701x9441)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
it's really expensive though
File: 1508794249479.gif (2.9 MB, 395x540)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB GIF
>we dont have passenger rail
I just bike everywhere but I live in a small town. I work for the family business and all my friends live nearby. It's the optimal situation really.
File: 123419.jpg (265 KB, 1000x511)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
Northern Ireland Railways is a weird thing. The rolling stock is all CAF DMUs in a regional layout. Not only that, we have Irish Gauge which means that anything that comes from Great Britain has to be modified heavily for our meme gauge.

Our only intercity route is to Dublin, capital of Ireland, so that's a pile of shite.
Just join the Republic. It's much much better than the UK at this point.
File: IE intercity seen 316.jpg (244 KB, 918x661)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
It is an extensive network there, but outside of Dublin/Cork, the density of stations is pretty grim.
Outside of those places the population density is too low to merit a large system though.
Sure, but it means that you can often have a long way to go to the nearest train station in rural Ireland.

Plus look at Co. Donegal. Nearest train station is Derry~Londonderry.
File: 7QFqUzc.jpg (988 KB, 2041x2705)
988 KB
988 KB JPG
File: 35.jpg (654 KB, 1575x2100)
654 KB
654 KB JPG
I carry this meter high elephant sculpture around with me at all times. It's a statement about the hedonism of modern locomotive geographers that annoys the living shit out of everyone on the blue line.
File: system_map.png (422 KB, 985x761)
422 KB
422 KB PNG
File: railmap.png (458 KB, 1678x1187)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
File: zonu_shema.jpg (753 KB, 3508x2480)
753 KB
753 KB JPG
Not a TTC map?

I've been through Niagara station before on the Amtrak from New York to Toronto. One of the more relaxing train journeys I've been on.
File: a4_linky_s.png (745 KB, 2339x1654)
745 KB
745 KB PNG
Only up to date map I was able to find is this atrocity.
File: mapa-or-brno.png (258 KB, 1244x868)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
That was painful to read. I found a nice to-scale rail map of the Brno area but all the small stations are omitted.
[need for maintenance intensifies]
Also, since no other part of the national intercity network matters, here's the good part.
File: philly transit.png (356 KB, 1550x1600)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
And with the NE Corridor, here's Philly
Center City trolley terminus errouneously shows line 15 having its terminus there.
File: metra-station-map.jpg (411 KB, 1351x1650)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
File: GREATER_BA_RAIL_NETWORK-b.png (1.95 MB, 2160x3086)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
File: 0213181342.jpg (2.2 MB, 5312x2988)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
Yah true, I didn't see that. Did septa also complete the port richmond branch yet?

chengdu, sichuan, china
File: c_red_metrp.jpg (163 KB, 1200x1119)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
File: metrolink_system_map.jpg (201 KB, 1053x936)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
Jakarta and suburban towns
File: Trains-1.png (1.9 MB, 2953x2304)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB PNG
They are expanding the route between D'dorf and Duisburg to 6 Track, but some NIMBY fuck it up.
red - international main line
blue - international branch line
green - connection to international line
yellow - regional
brown - municipal
At least they finally managed to get Meinerzhagen - Brügge kind of running. And it only took like twenty years!
Rail network around Frankfurt/Germany. Green are suburban lines, everything else are regional trains.
>Designed and built by whites to be the literal Rolls-Royce of Western rapid transit systems
>Allowed to fall into 3rd world disrepair under the leadership of over-promoted affirmative action hires and the lazy carelessness of the niggers that work for them

WMATA is the perfect metaphor for DC and the United States in general, desu.
Don't forget the T!

Here's the current 2010s system map
And here's the /comfy/ 2000s map from the Dubya years, starting in 2001. Brings back memories of high school, my first and second shots at college, and lots dates to the aquarium, the MFA, or riding the C line out to movies at Coolidge Corner.
File: 1990 MBTA System Map.jpg (283 KB, 1145x979)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
And here's the utterly god-tier a e s t h e t i c Cambridge Seven map, in it's ultimate 1990s iteration.

A masterpiece of high Modernist designed by the firm founded by Gropius' proteges from Harvard, it was rolled out alongside the iconic minimalist "T" logo and the color-coding of the routes and the trains that ran on them back in the mid 60s. Seeing this map will never not give me the feels, as it reminds me of my childhood in the 80s and 90s living in Davis Square and riding the red line to all the cool places in Boston with my mom, dad, and now-deceased brother. As a piece of unified design, it alongside the 70s train paint schemes and the brutalist station redesigns and extensions of the 80s, was fucking perfection.
File: map_train.jpg (486 KB, 1936x1100)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
boston has to be my favorite city. I only go there occasionally buy i've just sat around and rode the t for hours.
My first time in boston I went for a concert and had all day to wait around so I took the t to alewife and just walked back down the line.

sad times but something to look back fondly on now.
How do we make this system (and the CTA) less radial?
File: grnpxjp609f01.png (158 KB, 847x837)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
Subway map of Québec City
File: A.png (157 KB, 1947x1096)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
File: Amtrak_01.jpg (134 KB, 800x533)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Wow anon. That's a cool map!
File: Amtrak_4000px.jpg (1.22 MB, 4000x2667)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Here's an hd one of that map
File: dartrailsystemmapjan18.gif (107 KB, 750x790)
107 KB
107 KB GIF
Never knew Detroit's transit system was so extensive. Guess the "motor city" legacy really is dead? Huh.
File: Chicago-Metra-Map[1].gif (169 KB, 1625x1929)
169 KB
169 KB GIF
Chicago's Metra system. Not to be confused with the Chicago Transit Authority's rail system.
That's Dallas, not Detroit. It literally says that on the map.
>Quebec City
It's a map of all the Subway™ locations
File: perth.png (350 KB, 1000x1269)
350 KB
350 KB PNG
File: yamaguchi-map[1].png (758 KB, 2746x1974)
758 KB
758 KB PNG
Gotta love the rail in Yamaguchi....not
Did they finally finish construction of that shit? I remember traffic being fucked because of it.
That's nothing.
>Trains running through tunnel that is literally collapsing
>Track fires are a daily happening
>Trains in service since the 50's
File: Wellington network map.jpg (52 KB, 1250x400)
52 KB
Wellington, NZ route map...
File: WellingtonRailMap.png (61 KB, 950x525)
61 KB

...and how it actually looks geographically.
Why didn't Frodo just took a train to Mordor?

If you got a ride the 30-40 km from where Hobbiton was filmed, you could get the train down to National Park and see Mount Doom out the window.
Korea Railroad system map
File: ice_ic_netz_2018.png (3.07 MB, 4244x3000)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB PNG
>maps from you [entire] country
How's Korea for the /n/ inclined? I'll be traveling there later this year. Any comfy lines to check out?
File: sj.jpg (299 KB, 1016x1600)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
Could not find a modern map over whole Sweden, this is south and somewhat still up to date.
having to go Brampton to Scarborough everyday makes me sad
Here's the Norwegian network, might not be 100% up to date, not quite sure.
File: Map_trains_dk.png (255 KB, 1279x1662)
255 KB
255 KB PNG
Denmark map. DSB is shit though.
>don't fund system
>shocked when it falls apart
pol get out reeeeee
Took the train from Bodo to Trondheim and Trondhiem to Oslo last year.

Was a very nice journey. Glad I spent the extra for Komfort Klass.
I moved into NYC about 2 years ago. The trains are great imo you just have to expect a 10-15 minute wait.
>Rorosbanen is intact
Its pretty up to date.
The entire region from Storen to Elverum would be completely barren if Johan Falkberget didn't secure it a proper railroad to replace the copper mining one.
Thats also true of a lot of stops alongside the Bergensbanen, because it means its possible to have some kind of high volume industry, and actually transport it to the nearest port.

I also love the stretch from Kristiansand to Stavanger, merely to have some sort of infastructure to support the oil excavation operation.

It might be pretty shit, but Denmark would be far more urbanized if DSB wasn't so expansive in its infastructure.
And you don't want that.
File: karta.png (780 KB, 988x1472)
780 KB
780 KB PNG
Have something a century newer. Some freight-only routes are missing.
is new york the only american city with a metro transit system to rival europe?
Also why did america not, yknow, capitalize on metro systems while they were developing? Every city seems to have woefully poor coverage minus a few on the east coast
Ours is better, take that cheeseface. Your trains are comfier though, I usually take the dutch train that passes through Antwerp to Brussels when I need to go there, without paying an extra cent by the way.
cuz cars and FREEDOM
>Can only extend as far as the county limits because no other county wants it out of fear of delinquency that might be brought with it.
>Everything south of Five Points has that issue anyways.
>BeltLine project makes grand claims of improving network with extended MARTA service, widespread light rail corridors, and planned regional rail service.
>May not even complete the review process anytime soon.
>Might be decades before this project is completed.
Mass transit systems need people living near the stops, and places they want to go.
In my european hellhole city planners assume people are willing to walk 200m to a bus stop, 500m to tram/light/metro rail and up to 1km for a heavy rail station.
In that uptake zone there has to be enough people, or enough people wanting to go there for more than a sporadic school service.

Places where people want to go is probably the actual killer. In Europe a lot of cities are built around the main railroad station, with government offices and crucial services nearby, or the railroad is put there because it's where people are expected to want to go. Shopping facilities tend to be crammed together, so it's easy to have a bus route fish people up from the commieblocks, pass by the benefits payouts and end up at the supermarket to spend the money.
In America every settlement off the east coast is an amorphous blob. Shops, jobs, schools and public services are spread evenly. Trips become unpredictable and you're limited to school buses.
>Don't fund system

But that's the exact problem. DC and the surrounding environs are supposed to be a shining beacon of black middle class achievement, and they still spend fuck-all on maintaining their system while using it as a political patronage landing zone for the white collar folks while using it as a make-work program for the blue collar ones. The only people they have to blame for their failures are themselves, but blacks are so unwilling to engage in any sort of introspection, much less admit anything resembling fault, that it once again becomes Whitey's fault that WMATA is falling apart, despite the fact that DC's black political class are the ones choosing to underfund and mismanage it. It's the same deal as MARTA, only with what was, as-built, just about God's own modern rapid transit system.

It's just like some Howard U-trained lawyer who gets a $120k/year affirmative action job at a decent firm buys a beautiful, loaded BMW 3-series, and proceeds to never change the oil on it, only to gripe that BMW's "are not good cars" and moan that he should have bought an Infiniti when the engine inevitably blows up.

t. Marylander.
File: 201602-291700.jpg (191 KB, 2000x781)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>1167548 #
See: >>1167553 (You) #

Baltimore has the same problem with its metro, and I'm convinced that the Red Line Light Rail project was *actually* only killed by Hogan because of complaints from business associations in the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, Fells Point, and Canton who saw what the Freddy Gray riots did to business and were fucking terrified about what a direct rail line connecting them to West Baltimore would have done to their neighborhoods, and that since the optics of rerouting the western portion of the line somewhere NOT filled with criminal sub-humans would have looked awful in those hypersensitive post-riots months, the whole rationale was kept behind closed doors for the sake of political correctness and so as not to tempt more riots/looting in the nice parts of town by angry monkeys upset that their inability to behave like proper human beings cost them the train that was "gonna sayve da naybahood" because the people actually paying for it vis a vis their taxes didn't want to have their businesses and communities destroyed by it.
Cambridge Seven map was best map.

Also, >>1160909 >>1160900 >>1160899 it's hilarious to watch the Green Line metastasize across the system map as the influx of transplants, students, and recent grads into the outer territories of the B, C, and E branches means that the directions-savvy locals there have all been replaced by clueless milennials who can't be bothered to remember which branch their friend from bio lab lives on and have to go by the exact station instead.
>No self governement
>relies on federal funding
>fuck you nova you don't get shit
>only gets new silver line literally 30+ years late
>not funding their part

WMTA had no dedicated funding base and the original buyers bought itlian trains (tbf in that peroid Italy for god knows what was undercutting everyone and lead to the wave of lemon trains that are now being replaced by either Chinese (Boston), Japanese (New York), or Korean (who are bad lol the Koreans fucked Philly good lmao). DC can't fund their own metro because DC is de facto a non city unable to run their own shit. It isn't as bad as "Shit we are broke 1970-1990" NYC which between that and the timers is killing but again, fuck off pol (I am an angry butthurt transit planner silver line should have been done 30 years ago reee reee baltimore needs a subway to DC because it might as well finish the gap
The R33s are made of Super Alloy Z and will last until we discover warp drive. (Also the issue is the fucking Leaf nation fucked NYC by being terrible at replacing shit, so its most likely going to be Kawasaki since CRRC isn't proven yet so they will not get the R2xx bid).
DC just had more clear failures but every US transit system is suffering from the waves of delayed investment (besides ironically enough Metro North and that is because they hit rock bottom in the 1980s and only could go well, up), NYC has massive issues, BART memes are a joke, and if Seattle doesn't keep up on maintiance they will have these issues in the 2040s when their system is DC;s age. Everyone refused to invest in the 1980-1990s period in urban transit because of drugs and now that cities are cool and hip to invest in the ghosts of the past came out. pol get out reeeeeeeee
My point is that it's OK that SEPTA, the MTA, CTA, the MBTA, etc are all having issues because they're all dealing with delayed maintenance AND ancient subway networks where the vast majority of in-use trackage pre-dates the great depression. Meanwhile, when systems like BART, WMATA, the Baltimore MTA, and MARTA are all having the worse problems on systems that, in the grand scheme of things, are practically brand new as far as American rapid transit networks go, that were still being built in the 1980s and 90s, that's fucking inexcusable and points to a degree of incompetence that's on a whole different level compared to what the older systems have.

Now, DC, Baltimore, Atlanta all have something in common (that also applies to Oakland) and if I'm /pol/ for noticing it and making the connection, then so be it.
Ironicaly BART WMATA and Washington Metro suffer from the 1960s system issues, which is bizarre one off construction leading to absurd issues (and Oakland is the smallest part of BART by far, and SF has ... issues with their transit as the magical adventures of the standard LRV goes).
Also SEPTA for their subway literally shut it down and outright rebuilt it to their credit which was one of their most brilliant choices (which is why their subway isn't imploding).

Washington, DC Baltimore, BART and Atlanta were missing the mid life overhaul AND unlike New York don't have local/express lines which means that you can't use parallel tracks for repairs.

(also I want to get drunk and rant about how BART is a fucking mistake and a series of mistakes and bad product).

Also Atlanta is well, boring and competent of all of the Next Gen US systems with some issues in 2006 but overall its the most well run of the neo systems (with Miami as a close second)

So you are the worst elements of pol and not even accurately knowledgeable about railroads. please go

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.