[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

RIP Stephen Hawking 1942-2018 🙏

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: RioGrande.jpg (908 KB, 2048x1381)
908 KB
908 KB JPG
favourite trains thread
Alp-46 becuase it never gets love. Also got to rep the home team.
OP, a reverse search isn't finding this picture, can you post a link to the source? That looks like my city but I've never seen pictures of Rio Grande passenger trains from that era here.
D&RGW VO-660 72 and PA1 6001 at Colorado Springs, Colorado, August 20, 1964, Ektachrome by Chuck Zeiler
This is D&RGW's Train #1, the Royal Gorge, which has just arrived from Denver. On the back of the train are cars from the CB&Q's Denver Zephyr. The DZ's cars will be cut off and a D&RGW switcher will drag them to the other side of town, where the will be attached to the northbound Royal Gorge and returned to Denver for the trip back to Chicago. This is what "Colorado Springs Connection" meant in both the CB&Q and D&RGW timetables.
Thank you, I'm always looking for historical photos.
My favorite version of these are the ALP-45DPs. Which can run fully on either diesel or electric power. Truely a neat hybrid design. For running on parts of the network that don't have overhead wires, then transitioning onto the NEC into Penn Station or Hoboken.
Yea for the longest time I didn't realize they were diesel too, since I'm on the electric part but those trains can go straight to long branch without transferring.
File: cpr-4057.jpg (140 KB, 1800x1042)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Canadian Pacific Railways trains #67/68 in the mid-1950s powered by the sleek Fairbanks-Morse C-Liners.
File: zx1l4Fp.jpg (262 KB, 1280x720)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
refurbed b o i

EDi and bombardier refurbished comeng. good reliable electric train
Ugly as shit though
File: bomb_34931_51.jpg (190 KB, 750x500)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
Yah same, I'm usually only on the NEC, but one day I noticed that some engines have their electrics covered and some dont. The ones with the cover are the hybrids.
File: IMG_5599.jpg (43 KB, 500x415)
43 KB
Fuck dude I wish to hell DRGW was still operational. Especially if they could have kept offering a regular service trainalong the front range. From Montana all the way down to New Mexico is a high potential corridor that should be rail serviced daily.

Also as a CoSpring born and raised I will always hold Colorado's extensive railroading heritage close to my heart. RIP DRGW and all the others too

Norfolk Southern's Office Car Special. Used for research, Executive transport and promotional events. Headed up by a pair of EMD F9As and a pair of EMD F7Bs, all of which have been extensively refurbished and are basically GP38-2s under the sheet metal. The consist varies with something like 40 different cars that the OCS can use with the train sometimes being split up using an AB pair on each section.
Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum Missionary Ridge Local. Short excursion run of three passenger cars and headed up by either the #610 2-8-0, #4501 2-8-2 or one of several EMD GP7 or GP9 locomotives. The Missionary Ridge Local runs from Grand Junction Station to the East Chattanooga yard and shops two to three times daily throughout the week.
Norfolk and Western Powhatan Arrow. Headed up almost exclusively buy streamlined 4-8-4 J Class locomotives ran from 1949 to 1965.
File: download.jpg (242 KB, 1500x1001)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>not posting superior Alstom comeng
t-take that back
File: DTt8mNeWkAAs97f.jpg (189 KB, 1200x809)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
I suppose they're not actually trains, but I have an affinity for antique interurban cars and railroads. I dunno, something about them seems so local and comfy, like something you've grown up around- a sort of "America That Time Forgot" feel. I know this picture alone gives me infinite comfy feels.

As far as actual locomotives, I'm always one for old EMDs, Alcos, and Fairbanks-Morse models.
File: 1515191931046.jpg (114 KB, 774x546)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
These glorious all-wooden suburbans pulled by Soviet electric locomotives. The era lasted for about a decade.
You guys have some nice trains here.
File: man_of_culture.jpg (25 KB, 480x360)
25 KB
File: alstom southland.jpg (233 KB, 1280x720)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
did someone say Y E L L O W?
Yea I'm usually on coast line, so all the direct trains to Bay Head have to be hybrids since after Long Branch it's not electrified.
File: 126484_display.jpg (101 KB, 800x530)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Comeng, refurb or not cant come closes to the comfiness that is the hitachi
so comfy
File: 4TRAIN.jpg (146 KB, 1024x725)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
In terms of diesel locos, I love the BL2, very nice design in my opinion.
File: PRR T1.jpg (331 KB, 1024x645)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
And for steamers, call it cliche but I love T1s (Yeah, I know about the trust haha)
File: GMEMDDEMDBL-1499.jpg (229 KB, 1600x1047)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
It's strange. A locomotive like this should be ugly, but I just can't hate it for some reason. You can't deny a sort of vintage beauty to the ultramodern and experimental designs of the 40s and 50s- it honestly looks like something I'd be waiting for at a crossing today if the 20th Century's vision of the future actually came true.
File: 451417.jpg (400 KB, 1024x678)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
This beautiful EMU designed in 60's, too bad they are being withdrawn, last three of them are operating regularly. Just listen to that sound.
File: sd.jpg (564 KB, 1799x1186)
564 KB
564 KB JPG
Modern trains have no soul. All streamlined shit for passengers freight is alright somewhat though. Call me odl fashion but i hate computers on the train. This is a beauty.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.