[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 63 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: IMG_95591.jpg (298 KB, 1593x1063)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
Big planes, small planes, let's talk about planes and everything having to do with them!

How's your flying been going?
>>
I was walking around the parking lot of a small local airport, and went inside the small building. For whatever reason there's a really top notch restaurant in this airport so I was going to grab a bite to eat, I ended up talking to a guy in line with me and he asked me if I wanted to go flying for a bit. Of course I accepted, and got a free tour of the area from the sky for over an hour. Never been in a small plane before so I thought it was a cool experience.
>>
Alright /gag/, I got sort of a problem I'm not too happy about.

I've been flying on and off since 2014 and could never mix it with school well. I'm in college now, with 2.5 years left to go before I'm done. Up until now I've been flying infrequently, and haven't even been able to gain my PPL yet, and I've just paused again due to mounting college stuff.

I'm starting to figure I'm better off finishing college first and saving in the process instead of hemmoraging money every month, but damn if it isn't a painful idea to have to wait so long. There is also a local gliding club nearby that costs considerably less, and I could imagine I can learn valuable skills there.

What do you guys advise? If I stay on the ground, how can I best feed my flying itch and prevent myself getting rusty?
>>
File: 2018-03-30 20.49.37.jpg (1.97 MB, 3024x4032)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>1173389
If you actually want to fly?
Glider club. Some places might even help you get your license if you put in some sweat equity there.

If you want the cheapest?
Flight Sim and a Joystick.

Hell if I know right now though, Flight Instructing keeps me plenty busy
>>
>>1173366
That's great! Non aviators should definitely be exposed to aviation on some level. In the US we have General Aviation on a scale that doesn't exist in other countries, but that can change if pilots lose touch with the public.
>>
>>1173362
I passed my commercial single engine land add-on check ride last week!

I made a silly but accurate post about it on the flying subreddit... mods deleted it. No fun zone there.

ANYWAYS, if anyone knows of any jobs for commercial pilots in Central Florida, I'll take any job leads! I want to make some money flying while I work toward my CFI.

I'm pursuing the usual suspects. (banner tow, skydive DZs)
>>
File: IMG_6062a.jpg (877 KB, 3135x2063)
877 KB
877 KB JPG
>>1173366
Its a bit of a cost-prohibitive hobby but those who really enjoy flying love sharing that feeling to those who have little or no experience. General aviation is a very small niche but the places you can go, the things you can see, and the stuff you can do all make it incredible. There is a certain satisfaction to sharing this unique lifestyle to those who may never otherwise experience it.
>>
>>1173362
>How's your flying been going?

hasn't, out of money.
>>
File: 787.png (446 KB, 1080x1920)
446 KB
446 KB PNG
This guy just passed over my house at a low altitude, but a few minutes later when i checked the flight radar there was no aircraft that had a trajectory over my neighbourhood. I'm not even sure what the livery was, though i think the HDR ruined any chance of knowing.
>>
What do you do if you've always wanted to fly for the airlines but are starting to realize you love small planes too much, all while not living in poverty

Planes like pic related do things to me that I don't quite understand
>>
>>1173730
If you're in the US there's no reason you can't do both. Plenty of GA to go around.
>>
>>1173730
I know that feel on the maintenance side. Bizjets/bigger jets are where the money's at, but damn if I don't love the intuitive and self-dependent side of maintenance that comes with GA. Recips and GA in general are just more fun to work on IMO
>>
>>1173632
Looking at the wing tips that might be a 787?
>>
I live like 4 miles away from O'Hare so planes fly over my house to land at around 3300 feet. I have timed it, on a busy day like 1 plane every minute.
>>
CFII in the bag boys. Got my AGI today too... shooting for that gold seal(tm)
FAA were pretty friendly. Old grandma lady who used to fly taildraggers in Alaska.
MEI up next.
Being paid to fly feels GOOD
>>
>>1173883
I thought so as well, but iirc when i checked flightradar24 i couldn't find any 787s in my area or any aircraft in my area, thought it was aeroflot but i'm not sure
>>
>>1173915
What's your take on the noise? It seems like only people who *hate* airplanes live near an airport, and thus feel entitled to bitch about it.
>>
>>1173963
Some people have the gall to make noise complaints about even tiny SR20's flying around USAFA's airfield. It's so silly
>>
>>1173963
>>1173915
>>1173992
>airport gets built in 1930s outside of city
>jets introduced in 1950s
>urban sprawl comes surrounding the airport in the 1970s
>in come the noise complaints

I don't understand how anyone could build their house/move in next to an airport and complain about the noise. Umm sweety it's not like the airport popped up out of no where and now you can't sleep
>>
I need 4 million dollars to buy a used, flyable F-4 phantom. How do I get 4 million easily?
>>
Why can't the 737 just die already? It's like a flying cockroach.
>>
>>1173963
I am fine with the noise. After a while you get use to it and it becomes apart of your everyday life.
Honestly i ride my bike around and see faggots even closer to the runway with the "quiet the skies" poster on their lawn. If they do not want to hear the planes why the fuck are they living like 2-3 miles from an international airport?
>>
>>1174027
invest in shitcoins
>>
>>1173963
The only time I've ever disliked jet noise was when i was stationed at a NAS Whidbey Island. The EA-6Bs are so loud and so slow, it just goes on and on and on. At least F-18s take off and are gone in a few seconds.
>>
>>1174034
Boeing has nothing to replace it with. They're constantly losing market share to the A320, and with the Bombardier C100 and C300 coming in, as well as the Comac C929 and Irkut MC-21, Boeing has nothing better to do than re-engine the thing again.
Boeing is probably biding their time until the 797 comes out, and when it does, they'll market a shortened version as some sort of 737 replacement. Either that, or Boeing buys Embraer outright and then gets them to make some sort of 737 replacement.
>>
>>1174149
i dont care what they do with it, as long as they just stop filling the skies with these flying coffins. its like the A-10 of airliners.
>>
I want to fly so bad it hurts, I've always loved helicopters but the local flight club doesn't have any instructors and the only other school charges $100/hr plus rental and fuel costs for rotary
How did you do it/gag/, even after 3 years of 70+ hour weeks I don't have enough to get half way done with my private license
>>
>>1174157
Loans, GI Bill, rich parents, wage slaving
>>
File: IMG_0775(1).jpg (647 KB, 1674x1494)
647 KB
647 KB JPG
http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180404/2-killed-in-erau-training-flight-plane-crash-west-of-daytona-beach

F
t. Prescott grad
>>
>>1174168
I've talked shit about ERAU but that is just ghastly. Absolutely no one- especially a student- deserves this ugh

Fly high dude
>>
>>1174168
That has to be the worst way to go. you cant even do anything, just hope you land in a tree or something
>>
>>1174165
New VA regs won't pay for flight training unless you have a PPL already. Not him but this ruined my plans of being a helo pilot too, at least for now. Thank Guidance and Upper Limit.
>>
I always take GA accidents a lot harder than anything else I hear about online. Terrifying way to go out.

Blue skies and tailwinds buddy ;_;
>>
Today instead of paying the $75/hr instructor rate, I just paid my instructor $50/hr directly through Venmo. Fuck schools for keeping such a huge cut of the instructors pay
>>
>>1174168
im guessing he didn't pass his checkride?
>>
>>1174034
I'm just tired of seeing the EXACT SAME aircraft model on every airport, when i used to go to heathrow i would see the OG 747s, Tridents, 727s, VC10s, DC-8s, MD-80s, and possibly the Russian counterparts, and the whole place felt colorful and lush, now it's literally all the same bland shit. Even in the late 90s we had things like the Concorde still flying. Also, i'm tired of seeing airlines i like still buy up the 737 for no apparent reason when there are clearly better alternatives.
>>
>>1173362
>How's your flying been going?

I literally have only flown twice in the past 1.5 months.

Why? Fucking weather. It’s either clear skies but gusting 30kts or it’s low ceilings with below freezing temps.

Kill me
>>
>>1173730
Plenty of money in cargo. I see small planes every day hauling like one skid. They are making great livings.
>>
>>1173730

I know a guy who works for Ravn Alaska. He said the schedule is 2 weeks on 2 weeks off so you can commute from wherever you want. He said a Swede flys for them and commutes from Sweden. The largest aircraft they flew is a Beech 1900C. But as long as you have a Commercial Single Engine they will hire you to fly C.208s
>>
File: vc10.png (97 KB, 382x611)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
I'm pretty sure this is not adjusted for inflation, right? Also, this aircraft sounds way better and cooler compared to the IL-62M.
>>
>>1174362
What's the flying there like? Single pilot IFR in Alaska sounds fucking dangerous
>>
>>1174405

I need to ask him about that. I agree with you, I’ve thought the same thing. He actually called me last week asking how my commercial is coming along. He said he’d get me a job when I pass my checkride. But I feel really uncomfortable flying single pilot in Alaskan IMC. I don’t have much actual instrument as it is.
>>
>>1174331
Combine that with the fact that this thing has a safety record of a flying cemetery and you have questioning why airlines haven mt switched to something else.
>>
File: AA 747.jpg (604 KB, 1500x856)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>you will live to see the retirement of the last quad-jet
how does this make you feel?
>>
>>1174545
They will continue as cargo planes for decades to come. We aren't even close to the MD-11 going extinct.
>>
>>1174559
well cargo isnt fun, now is it? besides, theyre living on borrowed time as well. the last quad jets will be military transport planes.
>>
>>1174565
Cargo is plenty fun. Nothing brings out the joy in aviation quite like removing the general public from the experience.
>>
>>1174595
and the MD-11's I work with live extremely happy lives receiving the care and attention they deserve. Don't worry about them.
>>
>>1174595
yeah but then i cant fly on those cool planes.
>>
File: sadness.jpg (42 KB, 495x636)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1174362
>Tfw that is a dream job to me
>Can't get it cuz I'm not an American

It hurts bros
>>
Can anyone explain IFR currency to me in the simplest, most retard proof way please? For example, if I do 2 approaches in Jan, 2 in Feb and 2 in March, am I good until July 31 or September 31?

Also, let's say I fly in July and want to re-do my currency , how do I figure out how many approaches and shit to do?
>>
>>1174435
The A320 family has about 1300 fatalities to its name and that Aircraft has been around since 1987.
The Boeing 737 including all generations (Jurassic, Classic, Next Generation, MAX) has been around 1967 with about 3 times the fatalities.
>>
>>1174654
66HIT
Within the preceding 6 calendar months one must complete 6 instrument approaches, and practice holding, intercepting, and tracking. Log it, and you’re good to go.
>>
File: problem.png (2 KB, 210x195)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>1174656
>~3900 fatalities
What the fuck. Why is this thing still flying?
>>
File: 737 incidents.jpg (184 KB, 1820x522)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>1174788
It's more than that
>>
>>1174797
>+4000 fatalities
Holy shit. That's Slavshit tier.
>>
File: A320 fatalities.jpg (158 KB, 1854x584)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>1174814
Compare that to the A320 with it's "dangerous" sidesticks.
>>
File: A330 indidents.jpg (358 KB, 1889x960)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
>>1174814
>>1174821
Hell, this board goes on and on about AF447, but even the A330 has a better safety record.
>>
>>1174824
Well I think that's just because it's a newer aircraft. Although +4000 fatalities is indeed unacceptable.
The FAA should ban aircraft models with more than 3000 fatalities to them. At least for airline use.
>>
>>1174821

https://youtu.be/I9gELPxPG8Q
>>
File: AF296 Report.jpg (127 KB, 1882x485)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>1174829
Yes, and the pilot was an idiot who went to maximum angle of attack at idle thrust at an altitude below obstacles.

I swear, the problem isn't with Airbus, it's with Air France.
>>
Haven’t started flying yet but very excited to start, I’m heading to Navy flight school in June.
>>
Has any airline pilot here ever had the aircraft they were flying repossessed
>>
>>1174331
You try getting a new A320 family aircraft and you’ll be waiting until 2025. Boeing has a smaller order book right now as the MAX was a fucking mistake but many airlines were to late to get a reasonably timed neo. The market for used A320ceos is also competitive right now too due also to the Airbus backlog. 737s are just easier to get your hands on right now if you are in the market for a narrowbody.
>>
>>1174858
From what I gather, the 737 is also a much more "fun" aircraft to fly, from the pilot's perspective.
>>
>>1174559
>We aren't even close to the DC-10 going extinct.

FTFY. 747s in cargo service will be like the B-52 and they'll still be flying 50+ years from now.
>>
>>1174899
The 737 has the benefit of being more fun to handfly. The yokes and the thrust levers make it a much more hands-on experience, which pilots do like.
The A320 on the other hand is a much simpler aircraft to fly as an airliner, and the workloads are much lower in daily flight. The cockpit is much more spacious, the lack of yokes means that there is a fold out table which pilots can use to eat from or to use for navigation charts, logbooks and other paperwork when dealing with handling agents and dispatchers. The A320 also has foot rests which fold down so pilots not wanting to place their feet near the rudder pedals actually can put their feet somewhere better. The MCDU is very easy to navigate and use, and the ECAM provides detailed information about aircraft systems as well as providing an ECAM checklist for system failures, which is automatic and means that crews can follow the checklist instead of having to dig out the QRH.
>>
>the Concorde had one fatal flight in 27 years and that’s the only thing people will remember it for
>>
>>1174915
If you're perfect people are way more prone to remember your single fuck-up

That's why ironically a 737 isn't known for its crashes, its happened enough times there wasn't "the one time"
>>
>>1174814
>slavshit tier
What? Can you give an example?
>>
How many opportunities are there to fly down in Florida? My brother just recently told me about help wanted signs at various airports, along with offers to train any pilots who take them up on their offers.
>>
>>1174788
>>1174797
>>1174821
Not a 737 fan, but, you need to normalize those numbers by flights, right? I mean 737s are hugely popular.
>>
>>1175438
Hull loss rate per flight is much higher than the A320's, even if you only count 737NGs.
While I'm an Airbus fan myself, the 737 is currently a safe aircraft. I would not hesitate to fly on a Ryanair, or a KLM or a Turkish Airlines 737, because I know the crews will be well trained, the aircraft well maintained and the safety records of these airlines are great.
I would only pick airlines flying the A320 over the 737 because I love the A320 as an aircraft. The 737NG is a competently made aircraft, but I feel like it's from an older era, while the A320 truly modernised commercial aviation.
>>
How much will a PPL cost me as a leaf?
I'm interested in aviation in general and still young, if I can't fly I at least hope to get a job in the industry.
>>
>>1175440
>Hull loss rate per flight is much higher than the A320's, even if you only count 737NGs.
Looks like the hull loss rate of 737NG is less than A320s though: https://www.statista.com/statistics/416214/hull-loss-fata-accident-rate-worldwide-commercial-aviation/

Remember the early 737s came out two decades before the A320, so, not really a fair comparison.
>>
https://youtu.be/ueejAlBrpeE
is he retarded?
>>
Newer 737s are very safe planes, this is a good chart because it has both combined and separate generations: http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm

These new models have extremely low hull loss rates for such high flight hours.

Really the only planes I used to get nervous about were the DC-10s they used to take overwater to Hawaii with my family. Thankfully those now just fly boxes around rather than people. Even so, chances of having a problem are very low.

>>1175565
Probably, YouTube is a shit format for showing that list too.
>>
>>1173478
>Some places might even help you get your license if you put in some sweat equity there.

Just how much is that? I suppose I have to pay for a membership.

But how much is instruction?
>>
>>1175578
>dc-10
While I like to meme about this plane as much as the next guy, the plane was actually pretty safe. A but two of its crashes were results of airline stupidity, and even then, the amount of crashes compared to the amount flying was pretty low.
>>
>>1175636
Might be a lot of pilot error in there, but there are enough flight hours to normalize stuff like that. Those things went down more than the average plane.
>>
File: 2013-06-01 13.02.36.jpg (1.59 MB, 2592x1936)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>1175592

Instruction would probably run about $40-60/hour, Then add on the aircraft rental which is usually pretty cheap, like, under $10/hour.
Then there's the tow cost of about $50 to get to 3000 feet agl

Then yea there's the associated membership costs and all.

Try going here for soaring clubs nearby, since I don't specifically know where you live: http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp
>>
>>1175717
>Those things went down more than the average plane.
Yes, but that was unironically a coincidence. All but two of the crashes were results of poor maintenance or pilot autism.
>>
>>1175565
>TU-154
yeah I'm pretty sure
>>
I moved up to South East Alaska about a year ago and now I'm considering learning to fly since I basically live on an island and I want to get around without paying someone else. What are some good planes to look into? There happens to be tons of landing strips all over the place in the state but I maybe floats are better since I live in a wet region.
>>
What do you do if you feel like you lost confidence?
>>
>>1175969
you get in your plane, take off, go over a city, and slam your plane into the nearest building.
>>
>>1175969
go up with an instructor, or at least an experienced pilot and work on your deficiencies. Watch other people fly, Youtube is great for this. Dust off your old books and start reading
>>
>>1175825
No its not because the design was rushed to compete with the Lockheed L-1011 or anything
>>
File: brainlet2.png (97 KB, 645x729)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>>1176098
>pilot error and airlines not maintaining planes is somehow related to the planes design
>>
File: united.jpg (231 KB, 1000x620)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>you will never fly on a 747 200
why live?
>>
>>1176102
AA Flight 196 - poor cargo door design identified, loss of pressurization, no fatalities.
Turkish Airlines Flight 981- cargo door failure, 346 dead
United Airlines Flight 232- uncontained engine failure severing all hydraulics, 111 dead

>pilot error
Yeah a bunch of them crashed and hundreds are dead due to pilot error too, but that isn't the only reason the DC-10 has such a poor reputation.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvgvIxpNMn0
how can these pilots be so based? looks like one hell of a ride
>>
>>1176136
Remember how I said all but 2? Congratulations on missing the point.
Also UA 232 happened because airline maintenance didn't detect the problem correctly
>>
>>1176167
One failure severed all three hydraulic systems in one location on the aircraft. I’d say that’s a design flaw
>>
>>1176273
That was purely by Chance. That's like saying the 747 is flawed because the engine has a slight chance of hitting the wing if the fuse pins fail.
>>
File: Coffee.jpg (7 KB, 226x166)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
I've been mulling around the idea of going to flight school for a commercial pilot career. I want to fly around the world.

I've received some mixed information on how capable a trainee graduate is at getting a job immediately after graduating from a proper flight school (like PanAm for example).

What salary expectations should I be looking at for a starter pilot?
How likely am I to get a job in 4-6 years doing this?
What kind of career can I expect, including climbing the ladder, over what period of time?

I'm 31 with a 4 year degree if this helps.
>>
File: 1386028352722.gif (1.99 MB, 375x375)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>mfw going to be meeting with a Cirrus engineer to see if I can get an in and ferry aircraft for them
>mfw they'll even give me training, perhaps even in jet aircraft in the future
>>
>>1176282

All of those questions can be answered at- www.airlinepilotcentral.com

Salaries, benefits, requirements, retirement, etc.. everything is on there. You can click airline profiles to see pilot information and you can read the forums and get lots of info
>>
File: 1491849439354.jpg (684 KB, 2600x1800)
684 KB
684 KB JPG
Just started working as a CFI, any tips for a newbie?

what'd you guys do to entertain yourselves if an early flight gets cancelled and you just have to wait around? phone games?
>>
What kind of schedule is a first year pilot going to have for regional flights?

Same question for international.

Do pilots come home at the end of the day? Do they stay at the airport for the next flight back? Do they fly on-call? Or do they have a schedule so they know when they will be back home? Does the company you work for provide food and housing when you are away from home?
>>
>>1176395
>what'd you guys do to entertain yourselves if an early flight gets cancelled and you just have to wait around?
Fight back crippling depression. Try not to think about how broke I am. Wonder why I'm at work not getting paid and could instead be at home also not getting paid. Sometimes I watch youtube also
>>
>>1176496

My instructor only flew less then 40 hours last month just because of weather. So that month he made only $1,000
>>
>>1176329
sure buddy, sure they will. its not like youre going to be doing free labor for them and theyre going to cheat you like a cuck.
>>
>>1176508

>tfw your flight school says
>”hey anon would you like to pick up a BRAND NEW C172S g1000 from the Cessna factory for us!”
>mygollyYES.mp3
>”oh good! So we’ll discount the rate by $10/hr. But you need to book your own airline ticket, hotel, and provide your own food”.
>TFW THEY WANTED ME TO PAY THEM FOR ME TO DO A FERRY FLIGHT
>>
>>1176125
I flew on one as a little tike. I'd have liked to have gotten on a 100 with the three windows per side configuration where it was only a lounge upstairs.
>>
>>1176512
kek, they probably got some sucker to say okay.
>>
File: 1503783106580.gif (682 KB, 245x245)
682 KB
682 KB GIF
>>1176496
>>1176503
>I chose this life
>>
>>1176531

They did. Infact it happens a lot. My school just acquired 14 additional airplanes and needs them moved. It’s easy for them tho because my school is located in a very rich area. There are lots of retired rich people. So it’s easy for them to find some retired guy who’s rich and has his private certificate to go ferry planes for them on his wallet. Most of the time they are bored enough they don’t even care
>>
>>1174545
BA still flies them to almost every major city, MIA gets 2x 744s for most of the year until November, when BA 208/209 goes A388, then it's back to 744 in March
>>
First time on /n/
Are there many A&P's or IAs here, or are you all mostly interested in being pilots?
>>
>>1176540
Yeah, but they're supposed to retire in 2020
>>
File: HW1JGfrH.jpg (19 KB, 694x390)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1176534
I'm told it gets better
>>
>>1174545
>there is an alternate timeline where deregulation never happened and airlines are still a diverse plethora of twinjets, trijets and quadjets, and the poor, lower class dregs of society cant afford to pollute flights with their autism
why do we have to be in the worst timeline
>>
>>1176557
what is with the fetishization of quadjets?

twins are better in almost every way.
>>
>>1176560
they looked cool and kept prices high so low IQ retards couldn't afford flights.
>>
>>1176551
Not so many A&P's, but I'm one, mostly just lurk the thread.
>>
>>1176508
You'll at least receive minimum wage.
>>
>Check General Aviation General
>Full of discussions on commercial aviation
So it's not just a GA general?
>>
>>1176563
I don't think operational cost of like BAe146, DC8-61/71, A343, Tu-114 were too much different from comparable twins at the era
>>
>>1176646
Previous editions usually include in the copypasta that commercial avaiation discussions are welcome too. I mean, just think of this as an aviation general rather than a specific GA general.
>>
>>1176536
You should let the local FSDO know, just because I think this is shitty enough that the FAA should at least ask about it. That being said I'm pretty sure it's legal for them to do.
>>
Anybody here dislike solo flights?

I am trying to get over this. But for some reason I always get stressed before I go fly alone. Which is stupid because I have my Private, Instrument and I’m currently half way done with my commercial. I did a XC today by myself, and it was fine. But I just dislike it. I was always looking at the time to see how much longer until it was over.

Pic- CRJ200 lands at a Class E airport
>>
File: e1c.jpg (32 KB, 600x600)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1177264
Maybe you just need to do more solo flights to build your confidence up. Do you get lonely maybe? I'll admit the longer solo flights get pretty boring, Ive been popping an earbud in one ear and listening to some quiet tunes lately.
Trust in your training and trust in your machine. The pic is just for a laugh.
>>
>>1176659
>>1176659
So why don’t we call it /aviation general/ instead of /general aviation general/
>>
>>1177302

Maybe it is loneliness. I might try doing the music thing
>>
>>1177264
Is it because it feels unsafe or like an impending disaster is just around the corner? Or is it that you just don’t like it because it’s boring
>>
>>1177349

>impending disaster

Eh, I sort of think this. I know that I know what I’m doing. But I’ve had some bad experiences in my past with equipment. So I’m always expecting something to fail which stresses me out.
>>
>>1177351
It’s healthy to feel the weight of what you are doing.

What I mean by that is this... you are aware and sensitive to the gravity of the situation you put yourself in when you fly an airplane. That is good! You are manifesting that knowledge and sense of gravity as negative emotion, that’s not ideal, but you can use it your advantage.

Use this feeling of dread to keep you vigilant, so that a dreadful thing does not happen. Or better yet, use the feeling to spur you on to Readiness, so that when the dreadful thing does happen (which it certainly will, as you have experienced) you will be prepared.

Use the feeling as your cue to always be on the lookout for emergency landing fields.
Use it as motivation to perform thorough preflight EVERY time.
Use it as motivation to track time and fuel burn. Use it as motivation to talk to ATC and pick up flight following. Picking up flight following will go a long ways toward easing your mind and feeling less alone.

The listening to music under your headset idea is not the correct antidote for what you are experiencing, I feel. I think you need to use the feeling as motivation to “sharpen yourself” so to speak, with vigilance and proactiveness, not to dull yourself by covering the feeling up with music.

That’s not to say music in The cockpit has no place... I just think it is the correct antidote to your problem. Your mind is trying to tell you something. Will you listen, or try to drown it out?
>>
>>1177359 (continued)

You mentioned
> I know that I know what I’m doing.

This is likely very true, but every pilot must consistently strive for better performance, there is always room for improvement. I believe that if you pursue perfection, as every pilot should, it will go a long way toward curing your feelings. Best of luck, and blue skies
>>
>>1177359

>Use this feeling of dread to keep you vigilant

I am vigilant as fuck. I take a very long time when I do my preflight. I look at everything. I always add oil and top off fuel even for short flights. I constantly am checking every single thing regarding the weather too. It just stresses me out tho. I’ll finish a flight and feel exhausted.

I just want to be able to relax
>>
>>1177365
I'm not a pilot, I'm a boat captain, but I started off the same way. I still do my really long "pre-flight" check after over 15 years, but time has chilled me out. My anxiety is never completely gone, but it has gotten better. Anxiety is good, it will keep you safe, but you still need to be calm under pressure. The people that freak out when something goes wrong are the ones who turn little things into disasters.

I like the other anons suggestion of putting some tunes in your ear. Pick something soft, mellow. Don't blast it and just one ear.
>>
Less talk of soloing a cherokee or whatever and more talk of Sun n' Fun. Any anons out there?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (732 KB, 3840x2160)
732 KB
732 KB JPG
>>1177264
>>1177365
It is a natural feeling in your position. I wasn't comfortable with the plane until later in commercial single myself.

You are approaching it from a flight training aspect, and associate flying with flight training, which isn't always good. It is good to remember your training and what your instructors have taught you, but if you only perceive flying from the perspective of a student you are missing the point.

My advice is to go and rent on a quiet Sunday morning, select a location with no other traffic, and just dick around. Fly the plane, have some fun, make yourself smile. If you'd like, take a friend and share the fun with someone who isn't so familiar with flying, its always fun to give them an opportunity to do something they wouldn't normally. This will build confidence in both the plane and your abilities, and will help remove the mental block that separates the fun from flying.

As far as the little details like filling the tanks to the brim for a pattern flight, or doing a 2 hour preflight, you need to understand that flying is all about acceptable risk. Do I need 55 gallons of gas for an hour in the pattern? Do I need to inspect every rivet before considering my plane airworthy? These are experience-based questions, and you need to think like a commercial pilot. Any mechanical issue that is going to seriously jeopardize the safety of the flight will be readily apparent upon normal inspection, and those that aren't will most likely be very difficult to spot. Be adaptive and cognizant while flying, but don't panic over nothing. Think like a pilot, not a student.
>>
>>1177405
>>1177484

Thanks. I’ll consider both of these
>>
>>1174915

Normies kill everything aviation-related. this is why the post 9/11 world of aviation is beyond cucked. something happens on a plane and it's "THINK OF THE CHILLENS"

fuck normies
>>
Meow
>>
>>1177920
UUURRRRONNNNNGGUUUAARRRRRRDDD
>>
File: barbecorde.jpg (35 KB, 480x360)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1174915
RIP in pieces.
>>
>>1178017
>jet fuel can melt steel beams!
>>
>>1177938
WorkWorkWorkWork
>>
>>1178062

REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>Analogue vs Glass Cockpit
>Yoke vs Side Stick
Which one and why?
>>
>>1178095
Glass cockpit displays relevant information when required, and also combines multiple instruments into one or two displays. PFD shows the artificial horizon, altitude, vertical speed, speed, rate of acceleration/deceleration and other things. NAV display shows flight plan, weather radar, runways, TCAS, vertical speed, and so on.
ECAMS or EICAM shows other information when relevant about aircraft systems.
Glass cockpits are basically an upgrade in all senses.

As for side stick vs yoke, I'd say that the side stick is better in an airliner since space in a cockpit is limited with a yoke column, but yokes are a more engaging experience for a pilot.
>>
File: Arrow05.jpg (155 KB, 576x342)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
It won't stop hurting
>>
>>1178095
git gud with steam gauges first so when you fly glass it reduces your mental work load that much more.
I've never flown a side stick but they look dumb imo
>>
>>1178126
This. There's the important bit and all the other bollocks.
The important bit will save your life one day.
>>
>>1178126
I've always assumed by default that mechanical gauges and yokes was the typical stuff you'd see on aircraft, so i was very surprised to see the cockpit of a 787 for instance with it's 4 big screens or the side stick of an Airbus. Doesn't it basically function like a joystick? I thought this was only something seen in movies, as to me the Yoke is basically the equal of a steering wheel.

t. grew up with russian planes
>>
>>1178145
Yoke does what you have in mind, sidestick tells the computer the same thing.
It's a big difference but it's the difference between closing the pod bay doors and asking HAL to do the same.
>>
>>
>>1178126
>tfw had no choice and started all my training in a glass cockpit
>a Cirrus no less
Spoiled the shit out of me, switching over to analogue was painful.
>>
Scramjet when?
>>
What are you weather minimums regarding wind conditions?

I personally won’t solo if winds are gusting more than 20kts. My minimum crosswinds componet is 15kts
>>
Can someone identify this plane from this wing pic
>>
>>1178768
Definitely a Saab. 340 I'm guessing.
>>
Got the local crop duster to put on a show for me this morning, I really should have recorded it he was known to be a bit of a daredevil back in his prime
It made me get that old itch to get my wings again, why the fuck does getting your license have to be so damn expensive
>>
>>1178784
>>1178768
My bad, it is a 2000 after all. 340s don't seem to have that fin-looking thing between the flap and aileron.
>>
What's the average price to go through CFI training? I was trying to avoid CFI since I don't think I'd make a good teacher, but it looks like there's literally no way around it. Either take CFI or suffer through your entire career.
>>
>>1178934
Ain't that just depressing? Going through all that time and training and money, then can't even find a simple job under 500TT minimum.
>>
>>1178934

American Flyers has a 30 day CFI Academy for $3,000. But you can do it for cheaper if you use King Schools online
>>
>>1178974
>American Flyers has a 30 day CFI Academy for $3,000
Wait, what? It's listed for just under $7000 on their site.
>>
>>1178976

Wtf, I swear just 2 months ago it was $3k... I was planning on going there after Commercial..

Whelp.. King Schools for me now
>>
If you plug in your phone into the AUX port and play music, does anybody know if the music will cut off when receiving comms?
>>
>>1179013
Which aux port? On what system?
>>
>>1178973
>500TT
Theres 3 rotor positions in my state that list a minimum of 1500 flight hours as a minimum requirement
>>
File: Mung_Daal.png (71 KB, 310x489)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>1178335
scramjet? more like scamjet!
>>
File: 1511750131422.png (299 KB, 474x474)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
>>1179039
I know that feel.
>tfw trying to find literally any job that's not 3000TT or 1500TT required
>>
>>1179020

Cessna 172R/S
>>
What did you guys do to build time? Did you work some shitty, non-aviation job and buy time? Or did you just rush up to CFI and train other pilots for a year?
>>
>>1179703

There is a guy at my school who’s parents are completely funding his hours. He flys 3 times a week and goes all over with his gf
>>
>>1179921
Must be nice. Meanwhile, I can't find a single job under a thousand hours total time required.
>>
>>1179924

Ravn Alaska hires Part 135 with just a commercial single.

That sketches me out tho. So, I’m just going to be a CFI
>>
>>1179925
Alaska would be perfect if it wasn't a frozen hellhole.
>>
>>1179936

I don’t feel comfortable with the thought of flying a single pilot Caravan full of people through Alaskan IMC
>>
>>1179938
That also sounds pretty awful. Maybe stick to freight.
>>
>>1179957

I’m just going to CFI, even tho I’m still working on my commercial, my school already gave me a guaranteed job as a CFI once I finish everything. They pay $24/hr (pay is going up soon too) and they have good but cheap healthcare.
>>
>>1179938
Sounds like a ball to me. To each their own.
>>
>>1180010
I'd be much more happy to do it if it was with freight instead of people. Less souls to worry about.
>>
>>1179965
what school? fucking hell my school hired me and I'm getting $18.50/hr and barely 20 hours a week
>>
>>1180024
How's CFI treating you? How's the ground training going?
>>
>>1180024

AV-ED Flight School. We got bought by a major company and a lot is changing. Our owner even bought Via Air. We are getting an all brand new fleet of 2017-2018 Cessna 172S too.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.