[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 58 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: bbg cannondale.png (2.34 MB, 1201x845)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB PNG
Bike Buying General

Spring is just about here, shops and craigslist are gonna start getting busy.

Post your local craigslist, height, and what type of riding you're planning on doing.
>>
File: 29sport_blacklime_2100.jpg (690 KB, 2100x1233)
690 KB
690 KB JPG
>>1174456
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mountain_bikes/529ht_29er_mountainbikes.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_sport_xiii.htm

Can someone tell me which bike is better.
>>
>>1174558
they're both shit
>>
>>1174569
thx
>>
I want a steel frame hardtail, but I also want it to be able to accept a tapered fork as well as have eyelets and braze-ons for my fenders, rack, water bottles, etc.

My budget for a frame is about 350, and for a whole new bike, about a thousand or less (preferably less).
>>
>>1174679
Also, a threaded bottom bracket. That's a deal-breaker for me.
>>
>>1174679
>fenders, rack,
>hardtail

fucking no dude
If you aren't mtbing don't get a hardtail
If you are mtbing don't get fenders and a rack
>>
What do you guys know about khs bikes? Specifically mountain bikes. Looking to buy my first mtb. Guy has this up for 450 and the components look decent apart from the fugly saddle and stem. Worth? I do live in Portland OR and used bikes are always expensive as fuck here anyways.
>>
Recommendations on a drop bar bicycle that can handle gravel trails? The cheaper the better.
>>
>>1174694
post craigslist and height
>>
Where is the best place outside of CL or eBay to get a used bike? MY CL has nothing that's 60/61cm for months now, LBS has no past-season or older inventory in that size, and I don't have a car to go to another LBS for at least another month or so.

Looking for a road bike <$800 that I can 1x for sprint triathlons. I've already done the math for building it out and it's basically the cost of a new bike.
>>
>>1174688
KHS is an alright brand, they never had a super niche break into the market moment, but I've seen decent stuff come out of them.

I mean new it retails for $1679 on their website, assuming he actually got it more in the $1200 range, its still not a bad deal. If its possible to talk him down to 350, I'd jump on it. Components are fine and cable disk brakes are less hassle than hydro IMO.
>>
>>1174822
I mean, are you trying to be #1 in the sprint tri's? I did one on a 79' steel road race bike and was in the top 10% still. A lot of that has more to do with your fitness for the ~15 or so miles you'll be doing. For the purchase of one, there's always facebook marketplace which seems to be getting more attention lately. That said, I hate it. I guess you could try Goodwill auction and see if there is a pickup close to you.
I'm not pushing for a new bike, but you can still get a pretty good new bike for $800.

>>1174679
What do you want to do on it? Unless you're touring a 3rd world country composed explicitly of potholes, I wouldn't mix touring and hardtails. You'll also be hard pressed to find a suspension fork with braze-ons. If you're insistent, get a decent 90's mtb it'll be a toss up whether itll be fully rigid or have front suspension, but you'll probably have to look to find the one you want anyway.
>>
im 5"11 and will be using this bike to commute all day thru the city.
>>
>>1174843

theres also this one.

which do you think is better and how much would you pay for each?
>>
My bikes for 2018
Road: 2018 Specalized Roubaix Comp
Gravel/ Touring: 2018 Trek 920
XC 2011 Trek HiFi Pro which I just put new wheels and rear shock on.

Retro: 1997 Trek Y-22 with too many mods to list.

Tooling around the neighborhood: Shitty Tandem I bought for $80 on craigslist
>>
>>1174844
>>1174843
$100 for either, assuming they don't need any work.

Between the two I'd favor the Technium, only because it has fewer moving parts to worry about, and that's a good thing when looking at inexpensive bikes.
>>
>>1174848

thanks! hoping to pick up the technium for $50 today if i can get ahold of the guy selling it.
>>
>>1174842
Facebook Marketplace is bare too or it's someone's carbon road bike that they used for 3 months because they needed a hobby and they want full MSRP.

And yes, I want to win a sprint next year and break 1:10. I could just build what I want if I wait around long enough for $800, but it just easier to get a used complete bike. I'm not married to the idea of 1X, but I would prefer it for sprint/Oly distance.
>>
>>1174853
Not sure where you are but FB group midwest velo swap usually has some good bikes.
>>
>>1174857
I didn't think of groups... thank you!
>>
File: hd-275-comp-lavared-21.jpg (652 KB, 2100x1221)
652 KB
652 KB JPG
>>1174558
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/hd-comp-275-29er-mtb.htm
Is this bike better?
>>
>>1174843
Wtf is up with that handle bar height?
>>
what do you guys think of this felt, its 1000usd, but im overseas (not europe) and here bikes tend to be 25% more expensive that in the states, a lot of times more. so take that into consideration.

dude is second owner and has no idea from what year it is, i have never bought a full carbon road bike so tell me if im sinning on something

also im currently using a 47x53 (labeled as 51) bike (also felt), this one is 50x52 , it could fit me right? in any case tell me what you think.
>>
>>
owner tells me this isnt a crack.. but it looks weird, but what do i know.

btw does anyone know what model it is? owner told me it might be a f2c, but i cant find matchin pics or anything, i guess its another model
>>
other angle of that part
>>
>>
>>
last pic i have,. thanks in advance
>>
>>1175078
god what a strange room
>>1175080
yeah that's not a crack, just the clearcoat peeling

It's not so old, could be a good buy, spec is alright. Go and ride it and scrutinise it for actual cracks and see if you like it. Pay close attention to around the seat clamp area, the bottle cage bosses, the cable stops on the downtube and the FD braze on. Really little abrasions and clearcoat peeling and such aren't the end of the world but they are issues on a carbon frame and seriously devalue it and a really careful man would not ride such a bike. Don't buy it if there are any hairline cracks. Liking it for whatever personal arbitrary reasons is the most important thing really though. That bare carbon look splits people. Haggle. It's not 1000 it's 800. You just have to do it in person. Be ready to go and get out the cash if you like it, or take the cash. The size should probably work.

It's a solid bike. The thing you'll find different is the harmonics of the frame, how it sounds and the ride feel. It's pretty different on carbon.
>>
>>1175080
>>1175078
I agree with the previous anon, that's not a crack, it's just the clearcoat peeling. You can see in the other pictures that there's a strip of carbon fiber that wraps all the way around the stay in that section, and that's part of the layup, not a defect.

As for whether or not it will fit you, the answer depends on your leg length - if you look at your 47cm frame now, could you lower the saddle by 3cm and still have some seatpost left showing? That will give you a rough idea whether or not this frame is close enough to your range to work.
>>
>>1175094
thanks mister, clear info.
>>1175101
how much set post left could be considered a minimun, i know this is arbitrary but take a guess :)

and to both of you,if you had to guess the year of this bike, what would you say? thanks!
>>
>>1174558
>>1175030
Those are both brands with no store of their own, they are just different brand names for generic bikesdirect-owned productions. The frames are made in the same plant as Trek and Santa Cruz frames, so they can't be too bad. Whichever you prefer, just do a decent tune-up of your own as they probably don't have demanding standards for assembly.
>>
What do you say about foldable bikes? Are they comfy for city commutes?
>>
>>1174456
Is a gravel bike good for commuting?
>>
>>1175206
Yes, but so is a road bike.
>>
going to buy a mountain bike
but because i'm a fat fuck (120kg) i need one that doesnt break
Dont plan on doing insane jumps just riding cross country
so far i've only found two bikevendors that would support up to 150Kg (giant and merida)

anyone has any more knowledge to bestow upon me?
>>
File: fghj67ire.jpg (95 KB, 539x960)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
so im looking to buy a used bike, see this nice trek emonda, start browsing the owners facebook page and find this pic. this is the bike, obviously with a new fork. question is. for a carbon bike, this is a no no right?
if you know its crashed stay away from it right? or should i go inspect anyway?
>>
>>1176071
yep. fuck that.
>>
>>1174688
As a big guy rider I can tell you that KHS is the go to bike for riders above 6 ft 6. The KHS 747 is an iconic bike. I'm not even big enough to ride one in xxl which is amazing.
>>
I'm 6ft 3.5" with a longer torso than legs. I ride a 61cm roadbike (AL with carbon fork).

Can someone look on the KC Craigslist and find me an N+1? I never find anything good but maybe I'm not using the search tool right.

I need something to ideologically replace my 26" hardtail mtb as I look fucking silly on these tiny tires. But anything cool under 600 I'd love a link to. Thanks guys
>>
>>1174558
>>1174558
My experience comparison shopping BD bikes is that they cheap out on the front fork.

Compare those specs with that of a Fuji Nevada 1.7, that is essentially the bike they are competing with. Note the Nevada will have an XCR fork while they BD has the lowest quality suntour fork.

Any bike under 1000 will have suntour spring forks but you want ones as beefy as possible.

>>1174822
there is a facebook marketplace group for 60cm frames and above only you may want to check that out.

>>1175076
looks like a cool bike. be very very careful with used CL carbon. If you think the bike is stolen just offer him 200 bucks and tell him you know it is stolen (he will sell it to you instead of your implied threat of calling the cops).

>>1175080
It's not a crack, it is peeling clearcoat as others mentioned. However it indicates the bike at one point was poorly taken care of. Price accordingly.

>>1175112
the seat post will have a mark on it for the minimum and maximum. usually you can actually put it lower you just need to cut the seatpost professionally. but if you need to do that the bike likely is not a great fit.

>>1175200
foldable bikes are only useful for subway commutes. most cities let you put bike on front of bus. Foldable bikes suck to ride they have too much frame flex.

>>1175341
Disregard manufacturer's weight limits. For a MTB you don't really need to worry at your weight. At your weight if you were looking at a road bike my only advice would be to get a 31 spoke wheelset.

From an engineering perspective the actual load object is usually 150 percent of max listed weight. I have found this to be true with ladders and bicycles.
>>
>>1176071
It's a definite fuck that. The bike has been in a crash.
>>
>>1176259
How do you get peeling clearcoat?
>>
Looking for a rigid aluminum disc frame that'll run a 700/29" wheelset with about 2.2-2.4 of clearance front and back.

Hoping for something that can also take fenders.

Not super interested in buying new wheelsets but I will if it's got TAs

Full cable routing makes me diamonds

Also mid/low-blade bosses for a front rack would be great.

Would also consider a carbon frame but I don't know how likely that is to be in my price range.

Hoping for under 2k. Willing to buy used. I'm 5' 10" but tend to need a shorter top tube.

Salsa Cutthroat?

Ideas?
>>
>>1176291
this, and also is clearcoat fixing possible? or atleast stopable? what can happen if youhave a bike with clearcoat peeling like this one? will it fuck up soon?
>>
File: 147200_light.jpg (156 KB, 1080x648)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
https://www.cube.eu/2018/bikes/trekking/urban/hyde/cube-hyde-pro-blacknblue-2018/
I want this bike for touring, getting around in the city/between cities and so on. I really dig the look and the belt drive. There are local dealers I can get it from. Is the price justified? I dont really have experience with rigid forks but I thought with the bigger tires most of the things I encounter in the city or on paths in a forest should be ridden comfortably
>>
>>1176336

Yeah, looks good. Probably not the fastest city bike there is, but the Big Apples are very comfortable tires and roll nicely once you get the bike to speed. The Nexus transmission is a bit low end but with the belt drive it should also be very low maintenance.
>>
Asking 800€ for this, should i go for it?
>>
>>1176339
Thanks!
>>
>>1176341

What's the fork? Depends a lot on it if it's worth it. If it's a Recon or other air fork, it's a good price, but if it's a low end coil fork I'd skip.
>>
>>1176291
improper application, cheap thin application, poor makeup of the clear coat or storing it outside in the sun.

>>1176319
I have no clue what you would do with peeling clearcoat on a carbon bike but on one made of metal you would rub it down with 1500 grit or higher sandpaper then blast it with a can of clearcoat, same as they sell to spray on cars.

Clearcoat isn't the most durable substance.
>>
>>1176301
I thought all salsa bikes ride 650b tires now?
>>
>>1176259
>Note the Nevada will have an XCR fork while they BD has the lowest quality suntour fork.
they all come with the xct bottom line fork
>>
>>1176301
>Salsa Cutthroat
my old chef bought one of those. it's kick-ass.
>>
>>1174456
What is a good bike to get for around 70,000 JPY? Ikebukuro area preferably.
>>
File: 1.jpg (184 KB, 1200x900)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
What do you guys think about this bike?

The seller uploaded only that picture, I'm going to see it tomorrow.
The price is acceptable with my currency.

Love 90's mtb
>>
>>1177306
Bullhorns can be suprisingly comfy for out-of-the-saddle riding.
>>
Anyone have experience with Cotic bikes? I've been looking at the soul, bfe, and bfe 26". I want something that can go off stair cases and jumps, but still hit the trail. Something like the NS Clash.
>>
>>1176345
Apparently it is a RockShox Recon Silver
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18
>>
File: IMG_20180127_143748.jpg (3.58 MB, 3016x4032)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
Hey guys, been riding an "aggressive" aluminum hardtail for a while now and im looking to take the next jump to a steel hardtail frame. All of my "standards" are current: 148 boost, tapered air fork, 1x11 drivetrain. Im looking to take everything and swap it over.

Im looking for a decent steel frame that tickes these boxes:
65-67 degree head ange
148 boost, external routing
internal routing
decent quality tubing

SO far i been looking at the Orange p7 frame.

Any other suggestions?

pic related my bike
>>
File: IMG_0025.jpg (421 KB, 1200x800)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
>>1177695
Have you checked out Cotic?
http://www.cotic.co.uk/
>>
>>1177701
>http://www.cotic.co.uk/
I have a while ago but their goddamn website UI is TRASH. Did they update their BFE with boost?
>>
>>1177695
>>1177701
Also i forgot to mention that I run 27.5+
>>
>>1177695
Here are a few Steel Hardtails, don't know about the specs tho
Cotic Bfe
Cotic Soul
Nordest Bardino
Stanton Slackline
NS Clash (Not steel but still cool)
NS Surge
Transition Transam
Chromag Sakura

Also idk if you've seen Seth's review of the P7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DlbLvrdTz4
>>
File: Cotic bfe.jpg (59 KB, 800x212)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1177702
>>1177704
I can agree the UI is annoying on their site. I don't know what the situation with boost is. The Bfe's and soul run 27.5 and they make the bfe 26" if you want 26" wheels.
>>
>>1177709
Thanks dude, Ive looked at the bardino and reall love it. I jsut wish it came in an another color (or raw the the TI) frames. Also looked at the NS essectric 29er chromo. Pretty cool too
>>
Mississauga, ON
5'7
Going to school 4km ride, about 5 steep hills, decent paved road
>>
>Cheap road bike and expensive mountain bike
>Cheap mountain bike and expensive road bike
Which one
>>
>>1177829

Cheap road bike and expensive mountain bike, definitely. Road bikes basically just get lighter the more expensive they are, while MTBs get better suspension, more suspension, better geometries, dropper posts and all kinds of important stuff when you put more money into one.
>>
>>1177728
an 2x8 claris starter road bike, AL frame preferably carbon fork, ride 25mm real big boy road tires.

You are short-ish so the discount bikes last to sell are usually the smol models.

Check out Diamondback, Raleigh, Poseidon.

Get something light and fun you are going to wear a backpack don't bother with dorky baskets and racks IMO.
>>
>>1176071
Crashed lightweight carbon bike is 100% certainity of some sort fatal damage in the frame. It _will_ break. Sooner then later and most likely when least expected and worked hardest.
>>
>>1177829
I would get to tiagra/105 on the road bike, and at least Deore with a non suntour suspension hardtail with good hydraulic brakes on the dirt eater, then examine where you are on money and performance.

It also depends on your environment. If your terrain is kansas flat, a FS really doesn't make any sense.

If you're an poorfag who's thinking of 200 for one, and 600 for the other, it's a different calculation.

>>1176071
I would start with the assumption the frame is dead until proven otherwise, and treat the price for the other parts.

>>1175341
The frames used by all major manufacturers are rated to well above your weight. You should be OK. The biggest point of failure will be the wheelset. Learn how to test and true your own rims.

If you're really concerned, or start breaking wheels, switch to a DH wheelset. If it can take a 3 meter drop, it will hold up to your fat ass.
>>
When buying a bike trainer primarily for sprinting and cardio, what type of trainer should I be looking at. From my own research fluid trainers provide more resistance than magnetic ones so Ive been looking at these two.
https://www.amazon.com/Nashbar-Fluid-Bicycle-Trainer/dp/B00W3N8NKG
https://www.amazon.com/Trainer-Sportneer-Bicycle-Exercise-Training/dp/B076LZG1KZ
I ride my bike all the time but I like a late night exercise so a trainer would be good.
>>
>>1178213
just get some lights, riding late at night is great, you have quiet roads
>>
>>1178266
No Id prefer a trainer
>>
What's the best between this
>>
File: 20-1981-BLK-ANGLE.jpg (786 KB, 1500x1500)
786 KB
786 KB JPG
>>1178308
Forgot pic so this
>>
>>1178309
And this?
>>
File: seatpost-bag-ortlieb.jpg (351 KB, 1000x636)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
>>1178309
this is for a reasonably light trunk bag. imo that is redundant when you can get large seatpost bags like pic related which are more stable, lighter, easier to remove, have better weight distribution and are far less likely to break, especially on rough roads. In the wind, the leaf bends the twig breaks.
I also think carradice bagman style supports are cooler if you just want a light load there and don't want a full size rack/ don't have rack mounts;
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-original-bagman-support-sport/

>>1178310
this is for panniers & heavy loads & is a good option in general.
>>
>>1178213
>trainer for sprinting
I destroyed my knees trying this. Fuck trainers.
>>
>>1178309
>>1178310
First is great if you’re a commuter and all you need regularly is to mount a lunch cooler to the rear (I tie mine down with bungees), second is preferable for anything heavier.
>>
>>1178314
Are giant saddle bags a meme? I've been thinking about them as an alternative to pannier racks (especially since they'd fit on any bike I have...)
>>
File: happykanyeplane.png (578 KB, 600x460)
578 KB
578 KB PNG
Looking for a bike that's going to be use for leisure and working out as well. My height is 5'7 and I need help for a bike recommendations. My budget is around $150- 300

Here is my local craigslist:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/search/bia
>>
>>1178337
>Sprinting
Were you mashing? Is this a given with sprinting?

I.e. am I safe if I spin?
>>
>>1178605
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/bianchi/6553856355.html
nice midrange bike, looks good condition. haggle.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/d/27-mens-tall-blue-trek-road/6558862380.html
Great condition. Quite low end, ugly imo. STI shifters but they're old- downtube of that age are much more reliable. I'd check the STIs actually work before buying.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/trek-elancecm/6561265465.html
Drivetrain looks new, very nice old low-midrange bike, good price, little old, I'd prefer this to above trek

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/d/cannondale-t800-aluminum-53cm/6551205003.html
if you want a wide tire bike that is heavier than a road bike and has lower gearing and is good on gravel. Possibly too big for you. Indexed triple front shifting, with old shifters, can be a real cunt. I wouldn't be too quick to fall for this meme over a road bike.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/bik/d/88-schwinn-letour-21-in-true/6560502019.html
not a bad poorfag option but it does have 27" wheels & a freewheel not a cassette which kinda sucks

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/centurion-dave-scott-ironman/6540381855.html
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/cannondale-aluminum-st400/6558551706.html
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/vintage-trek-400-elance-road/6533672934.html
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/1988-trek-1000-aluminum-road/6546149456.html
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/vintage-trek-560-road-bike/6546149582.html
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/schwinn-paramount-pdg-3/6552233662.html
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/bianchi-volpe-cross-terrain/6530210186.html
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/vintage-bianchi-campione/6533879318.html

This guy has a LOT of nice road bikes. Worth a look if you want choice & help with fit. They're expensive, but factor in his labour servicing them. His $350 bikes are quite a bit better than his $300 or $250 bikes etc.
>>
>>1174842
> What do you want to do on it?
Gonna be honest with you, I'm gonna convert it into an ebike. I don't really want to feel every bump in the road at speed. I have a good seatpost already, so I can just add spacers. I also wanted to have a more upright seating position and thought it would be cool if I could use it on some of the trails, too.
>>
>>1174842
> You'll also be hard pressed to find a suspension fork with braze-ons.
There's adapters then, no?
>>
$500 for pic related. Seems like a pretty good deal to me, any opinions?
>>
>>1178767

Yeah, definitely a good deal. 20 speed SRAM Red, right? The bike build itself seems a bit confused with a cross frame configured with road parts and thin tires, and the riding position looks a bit funny also so I'd recommend to test ride before you buy it, but then again it's got such quality parts for the price that if the frame doesn't work out for you you could just get a cheap chinese carbon road frame and put the parts on it and still have a pretty good deal.
>>
File: WhatDo.jpg (917 KB, 1020x1437)
917 KB
917 KB JPG
I have this Cube hybrid bike and I kind of want a road bike. The Canyon Endurace is the bike I want to go for. Spec wise the bikes are nearly the same. Ultegra, disc braker, alu frame. Except my hybrid has a flar bar and I know how much that is hated here.

Should I do it? Will it be worth it? It's €1800,-
>>
>>1178837
Honestly you could save a bunch of cash by just converting it to a road bike yourself. Stick drop handlebars on your hybrid and you're good to go.
You'll need new shifters, new cables, and new handlebars but that'll be it. Possibly new derailleurs, but I'm almost certain not.

It's really just a matter of snipping the cables, swapping the handlebars and recabling.
>>
>>1178838

It's not that easy since the bike has hydraulic brakes, and a geometry that works with flat bars will probably be too long to be used with a drop bar.

Can you afford to have both? If you can, I'd put fenders & a rear rack on the Cube and keep it as an all-weather city bike and then have the Canyon for going fast.
>>
>>1178842
Oh I didn't catch the hydros. Still doable though.
>>
>>1178837
Waar is dat?
Volgensmij heb ik daar vroeger gebosmaait.

Drops are a lot nicer during long rides.
You have a nice hybrid though.
>>
>>1178847
Muiderberg
>>
>>1178854
Wil je een keer met me slapen?
>>
>>1178858
Nee, bedankt.
>>
File: IMAG1271.jpg (1.39 MB, 2207x1466)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>1178770
Yeah, pre-2012 Red, he's even including the rim brakes even though they won't work with the frame. It is kind of strange, I plan on using it for around town trips this spring and summer, and then putting knobbly tires on it for cross in the fall. The frame is a custom alu job made by some shop in Chicago around 2013. Seller claims it's a 54, but honestly it looks similar to my 48 CAADX I owned a few years ago. Either way, I should be able to get it to fit me.
>>
>>1178683

I greatly appreciate the list of option that you gave me. Thanks man
>>
is this a good deal for $275?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/miyata-310/6543593196.html
>>
I'm looking to get a budget pair of cycling shorts to complement the ones I'm taking for touring, leaning on the side of something 3/4 length for cold days.

Any recommendations for brands? Materials? I just got a 4ucycling pair of shorts and they were the worst things ever. I've lost my faith in amazon reviews.
>>
>>1179045
For $275 you could get a lot worse, especially in Chicago. The frame looks flawless and pretty solid quality, Japan+triplebutted looks nice to me. My only grief would have been the removal of the drop bars, but they said they'd include those components too. I'd snag it if you need it, solid components, pretty sexy looks.

>>1178837
Personally I like the hybrid, flat bars are fine if you're not going 100 miles on it, people bitch because muh multiple grips and because its not in line with muh serious biker aesthetic. Check out what it would take on cost to swap out drop bars, pedals, whatever other stuff you want on it. I think the cube looks a lot cooler with the sexy blue accents
>>
File: watareyoudoing.jpg (88 KB, 1508x1005)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1178837
>ultegra hybrid
>>
>>1179045
Not really but sort of considering the saddle pedals and fact it's been serviced.
It's not really a fast road bike though, whether or not that's a good thing. They where considered entry level 'sport tourers'. So a good bike but not so much an entry level road bike if you want to put on clipless and maybe lycra and have a cheap road bike then it's not ideal. The drivetrain & shifting is just a little old, the frame not designed for it, a little robust a little heavy, the tires too wide, flat bars, and not great brakes.

It's the most desirable of 310s which were almost the least desirable of miyatas which were almost the most desirable of bicycles.

Just as a bike it's great, you definitely won't regret it, but if you want to GO FAST then you could do better.
>>
>>1179049
Thanks. I decided to stay with my hybrid.

>>1179054
Deal with it, nerd.
>>
File: $_72.jpg (35 KB, 500x375)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
You guys think a 175 cm tall person will be okay with the upper bar length on a 59 cm frame?

You think an older general men's bike (Hercules brand, one of Germany's most reputable) with a 3-speed hub will make a good base for a town runabout and commuter? My main concern would be fitting a straight handlebar and stripping some other stuff.

Any unusual sizes (handlebar, head tube, axle or whatever) to keep in mind on older bicycles?
>>
>>1179182
>You guys think a 175 cm tall person will be okay with a 59 cm frame?
No.
>>
>>1179188
God damnit, it's so hard to find 622 bikes that weren't dimensioned for lanklets.
>>
>>1179192
Are you serious there's a shitton of 50-56 size frames out there

Oh

Maybe not in Germany kek
>>
>Fuji Roubaix

This seems like a pretty good bang/buck bike, but it has PF30 on an aluminum frame. Kinda worried, are creaks a meme or real?
>>
>>1179274
And definitely not in the used ads in Nowhereville. Either the frame size isn't mentioned at all or it's fuckhueg or the bike is junk or it's way too new and expensive or I don't like the appearance. No bike is ever right.
>>
>>1179293
If the size isn't mentioned you can just judge standover height by looking at the top tube in relation to the top of the wheels (at least on older frames), or distance of the top tube to the down tube joint on the head tube. This should give you some idea of the reach for the bike too.
>>
>>1179300
That sounds like good advice, thanks.
>>
File: headtube tell.jpg (35 KB, 400x200)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1179304
on traditional geometry frames, the headtube is a big tell. you can also see it in the length of the seatstays, which is another way of saying
>looking at the top tube in relation to the top of the wheels
but the headtube is easier to see
>>
>>1179339
So basically if the top tube pretty much meets the downtube it should be the right size for me. Does this work on general purpose bike frames as well, or only on road bike frames?
>>
>>1179454
It works if the top tube is parallel to the ground if the wheels are 700c
>>
>>1179454
what are you, like 4'11"?
>>
>>1179457
5"9. I misread the picture just now, I know very well that I need like a 55 cm frame. Basically somewhere in the middle between those two.
>>
I think this goes here:

Well the bike shop failed to communicate to me a very small but very important detail when I bought my bike, ummm.....so here goes:

>Bought the bike 6 weeks ago.
>Been riding it 2-3 times weekly, as my work schedule allows.
>Check the tire pressure every 3ish rides, consistently checks in at 105-115 psi, weird it's not losing air but ok
>Last week riding home and can tell the tires are ridiculously low.
>Getting ready for a social ride that night and I go to give it some air
>"I don't get it, it still says 105psi"
>My friend goes "anon, you have to unscrew this little piece first"
>She was referring to what i now know is a presta valve
>Tires were at ~30psi
>Mfw
>>
>>1179471
They made the errant mistake of assuming you weren't retarded.
Well I made this mistake before so hey ho. I was 12 though.
>>
>>1179471
It sounds like they at least told you the tires should be on the ground when you ride
>>
>>1179472
>>1179477
Don't worry, I do feel like a dumbass. I should have realized something was wrong way earlier but still. they knew I hadn't owned a bike since I was like 13. How was I supposed to know such a mechanism existed?
>>
>>1179479
What kind of bike did you buy?

The only time I'd expect them to tell you about the valves is if you buy an entry level road bike at a dedicated LBS.

Big box store, no. Midrange or high end, no.
>>
>>1178837
n+1 is always a good idea. But if you're going to go with a real road bike , why not go with something more aggressive rather than something like your existing ride? Have you tried riding a few different bikes to get a feel for this?

>>1178838
>>1179049
Geometry won't work, And that changeover is begging for part compatibility problems. I'm also betting that price isn't a crucial issue here.
>>
>>1179490
Hol up what????
>>
>>1179489
Giant contend sl 2. Tubeless.
>>
>>1179479
I mean, you can see the threading poking out the top of the valve, and the valve is knurled which is only ever done for fingers to grip and twist something.
even with schrader, if the pump head isn't seated right and the air isn't flowing, you can immediately tell. getting that feeling from presta would lead one to closer examination and fiddling, which there's only one thing to fiddle. pretty sure that's how I figured it out, but I honestly don't remember, I would have been like 15 back then.
But anyway I guess it's forgivable, there's no reason you should have known even if the discovery seems trivial to me personally.
>>
File: 20180416_151914.jpg (1.17 MB, 1404x1152)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
Thinking about buying this Felt York for $425. Seems like a pretty decent casual college campus commuter. I'm worried it may be too nice looking though and get stolen/vandalized? That discount from the original $700 price is too good though
>>
>>1179989
There are worse things you could buy with the money, if you like it, go for it. The same basic bike could be put together by someone with access to old parts for far less money, but then again if you buy it from the shop you're also paying for a relationship, a future tune-up, and confidence that you're buying from a source that knows what they're doing.
>>
>>1179989
good
>chromo frame and fork albiet lowend but can't expect better at the price- not hiten-
>lugged fork
>hammered fenders
>quill style vo style stem
>nice chink campy crank
>nice double wall silver rims
>cool retro brake levers
>reasonably light

bad
>the black and brown and yellow colourscheme is terrible
>the rack is badly designed, heavy, ugly and won't support a lot of weight. prob ok for a box of beer on smooth ground though
>the 25mm tires are too narrow for a comfy bike
>the bars are too wide to filter traffic easily (not a bad thing just a thing)
>it's a singlespeed (again not a bad thing, just it won't be any good for riding very far or hills, equivelant linus have a nexus hub for example)
>no top tube brake cable routing- who the fuck is going to ride this fixed-?
>track ends & fenders- how the fuck do you change a tire?
>brown chink selle regal is hideous
>'leather' stiched brown grips are also hideous
>needs nicer pedals but yeah that's normal

I'd get it, get rid of all the brown and it would look good. You could obviously spend less on cl if you're really worried about it being stolen though.
>>
>>1179989

I'd steal that bike.
You can find vintage-style bikes like that for half-price used.
It's a single speed, never go single speed.
Regardless of the bike you choose, keep in mind that if you take good care of it, it could last you for decades.
>>
>>1179989
Long story short; buy it if you want to ride it.
>>
>>1174456
Is there anything weird to look out for besides the following:
Chain
Frame cracks/bends
Bent spokes or wheel
Worn tires
>>
>>1180107
yes
>>
>>1180107
I'd also check for bent/worn chainring/cassette teeth and wobbly BB/hubs

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.