[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 77 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Bike Buying General

Spring is here, shops and craigslist are gonna start getting busy.

Post your local craigslist, height, and what type of riding you're planning on doing.
>>
>>1188086
im 5'5"

budget
$150-200

looking for something comfy, flat bars and big tires for bad pavement + cracks in the trails

so a mountain/hybrid bike

I'm already considering op pic related and the red rockhopper

nothing else has peaked my interest besides the 2 bikes already mentioned above

if anyone wants to take a look at my CL please let me know if you find something worth checking out, thanks in advance

https://albany.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia
>>
>>1188086
>>1188122
Inseam? The Gary Fischer and the Rockhopper look a little small. That rockhopper is in superb condtion. If it fits, get it.

I think this person has measured their bike wrong, and that it might fit you.

https://albany.craigslist.org/bik/d/gary-fisher-marlin/6570307925.html

This one has no size listed, but it's a maybe.
https://albany.craigslist.org/bik/d/trek-bike/6584030596.html

Usually, there's great options in your size in women's bikes, but nothing today.
>>
File: rely.png (5 KB, 473x454)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
I want to take a cross country trip, Probably from east to west coast and back. What kind of bike am I looking at? I'm willing to spend up to a grand if necessary.

I know jack shit about bikes, which I should have prefaced.
>>
>>1188130
If you know shit all about bikes your fitness is probably shit as well. Touring is not for people who don't know about bikes. You need the mechanical knowledge so you can keep moving. You also need the fitness to keep moving too.
Get a road bike, alu frame, fender and pannier mounts.
>>
>>1188130
You're going to need to learn to ride. Use a Fuji Touring as a baseline. Should come in to close to your price range. Most touring bikes will be closer to two or three times as much as your budget.
>>
>>1188123
inseam i think is around 29

thanks for taking a look, i must have glanced right over the blue GF but i will consider both although the green is cooler looking.

the specialized might be the way to go bc of the price and condition hopefully it can fit on my rack with the slanted bar.
>>
File: file.png (1.5 MB, 1067x800)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>1188086
Getting myself pic related tomorrow for 450 euroshekels. The guy claims it's in a perfect state, but I'm gonna see it myself when I'll go and try it. What do you think?

I'd probably go for a gravel/cyclocross/something better for commuting, but here in france everything is buttery smoothly paved, and also it's goddamn hard to find a good commuter with a dropbar for me that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, 'cause I'm 1,93 (6' 3" in retard units).
>>
>>1188380
Awful hodgepodge of mismatching parts. ST-5700, RD-5500, FC-1055.
>>
>>1188380

The saddle is set up to the slammed /n/ memefit, must be a sign!

It's an old bike so definitely check the condition of the drivetrain, brakes and tires - in the worst case you'll need to spend 100-150€ on spare parts and for 550-600 you'll probably be able to get a brand new entry level road bike with Sora or Tiagra. Not a carbon one, though, and if the cassette and front chainrings are in okay condition I suppose it might be a decent deal.
>>
>>1188387
why is it bad? It's all shimano 105 parts, so they should kinda play nice together, no?

>>1188394
what worries me the most is the carbon frame: I saw scary stuff on internet about one tiny chip being able to shatter the whole fucking thing.

> check brakes and tires
will definitely do, was planning on it anyways tho

> drivetrain
I'm not even a fred - I'm more of a n00b fred. What do I do, other than checking if the teeth are not too worn out?

>for 550-600 you'll probably be able to get a brand new entry level road bike with Sora or Tiagra
Where?
>>
>>1188407
They're all different generations. It has the marks of a shitbike pulled from the parts bin.
>>
>>1188407

Put the chain in the big ring and try to lift it up - if you can lift it this much, the chain is too worn. A worn chain can wear out the cassette and cause the chain to skip in some gears - try out all the gears on the test ride and put down some power.

Old carbon is generally okay and it tends to be more durable than thin aluminum or super high-end steel tubes. Listen for creaks when putting down power, inspect frame particularly around the bottom bracket and where the seat&chainstays join.

For cheap new bikes, check out european online retailers (wiggle, chainreactioncycles, bike-discount, bike24, XXL etc), they should have a pretty decent selection in the sub-600€ range.
>>
>>1188426
Based anon, thank you. Hopefully, it's in a good enough state - I'm getting tired of browsing bikes online, I just wanna ride already
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (1.03 MB, 822x482)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
What do you think about this bike? Its 360$ used, but seems to be in very good condition
Octane One void frame, other parts are NS bikes, eclat, darmoor
>>
>>1188831
forgot to add, gonna use it for city, but learning some tricks would be cool too
>>
>>1188831
Trust me, ex-BMXfag myself, you'll regret it really fast. Unless you're 16, you'll find out that it's absolutely fucking useless for commuting and you'll just waste your money on something you'll ride 10 times at most before throwing it aside. I know it may be tempting, but just don't buy it. I fucking tossed $600 once and regret it every single day.
>>
I'm either 5'11 or 6' even. Don't know a lot about bikes. I plan to ride on roads for now and want the best balance I can get between comfort and gottagofast. Budget is $250-350 and maybe willing to push that top number if I reeeeeeally like a bike.

Eventually I want to get a mountain bike too, but for now I wanna go stupid fast down hills, make short commutes, and ride around my neighborhood while listening to podcasts.
>>
I'm 6'1". Budget's about 200 - 300 bucks, but I'd be willing to go up to 500 if it's really good.

The only thing I'd rather not have is a bloatware-tier bike with unnecessary features. I just want something simple, reliable, and good for commuting (might go up some semi-steep hills, think 30 degrees angle.). Besides those requests, give me anything you've got anons since I really ain't knowledge-able about bikes.

https://toronto.craigslist.ca/d/bicycles/search/bia
pic unrelated
>>
Looking for a new MTB. Budget is <$1000. Currently have a hardtail 29er. Khs zaca that supposedly an early 29 design. It feels great to me but friend says it's hard as fuck to turn. I'm 6 and it's a large frame. I tried a medium at the bike shop and the pro said I lean back to much of M, so sold me L frame size.

Anyways I don't k ow if full susp is in my price range but would appreciate due to aged knees and lower back. Interested in the Plus trend. Currently have 29x2.2 bontragers and like them. Wish to go tubeless. I love how the Giant Fathom looks.

Craigslist Inland Empire California

Trails are not super gnarly here but all serious riders I know have carbon hardtails. Guys with big $ and rarely ride seem to have trail setups for the big bear and Wrightwood mountains which I don't ride
>>
>>1188972
You have LOADS of options in your market. I would go with an IGH bike, with as much commuter shit as you want on it.

Failing that, a 90's mountain bike, or it's rigid hybrid equivalent.

>>1188970
You might be able to find a relaxed road bike in your price tier, but it's iffy. I'd go with a used entry level hardtail with commuter features, if you can find a good one, if you can't go rigid.
>>
File: Transition Bottlerocket.jpg (428 KB, 1024x768)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
What sites are good for buying used bikes? I live in Ottawa and use PinkBike, Kijiji, Craigslist, and Facebook. I'm looking a Transition Bottlerocket, PinkBike has a couple, but that's all I could find.
>>
My SR SUNTOUR XCT 100mm fork is flexing on front brakes. Not feeling safe. It's withstood ~5 years of hard riding and mild to moderate trails. Do I dare put a ching ching carbon fiber rigid fork form DHGate on it? Fork suggests plz! I have quick releases and 29 x 2.35 tire up front. Woukd like cheap fix
>>
>>1189046
OfferUp and Let Go. I buy peoples old tires to try out different treads
>>
>>1189048
Thanks I'll check those out.
>>
Make sure that the fork has gone bad, and not, say something wrong with an axle or the headtube. There should be loads of cheap compatible takeoffs that you could get for half the price of a cheap new one.
>>
File: IMG_5866.jpg (88 KB, 1200x900)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1189064
I can visibly see the bottom shock (big black tube) bend a tiny little bit as the stainless steel tube remain still. Not my bike but it's like this one. Links to cheaper options? My area doesn't seem to have anything, but an XCR fork, guy wants $125 for it
>>
>>1189068
Only under braking though
>>
>>1189068
That price is riddiculous. Maybe there's crashed and trashed mountain bikes where the shock is still good.
>>
File: Flightline 26 plus.png (567 KB, 1024x683)
567 KB
567 KB PNG
Just bought this for a first mountain bike for $530. What do you guys think of haro?
>>
>>1189074
Nothing wrong with that at all. Change the saddle if it doesn't fit. Where will you be riding?
>>
>>1189089
Mostly dirt trails in south eastern pa. I should of just gotten a single front sprocket as opposed to 3 but this will do I guess. I don't know why so many bikes in this price range have the 3 front sprockets. I mean who needs that for mountain biking. It complicates things and adds more weight plus you don't really need the extra speed.
>>
Hi anons.
Tempted to buy this as a daily driver.
http://www.opusbike.com/en/product/urbanista/141-classico-2.html?CouleurId=235
Ignore the hipster as fuck naming conventions, I'm buying mostly for the perfect amount of gears.
>>
>>1189105
MSRP is overpriced for what you get. Still, not bad for a bottom barrel shitheap hybrid.

I'm actually in the market for a give no fucks commuter bike, and have been looking at the Giant Momentup Ineed street. Goofy as fuck but comes with some good shit for the price.
>>
>>1189029
>You might be able to find a relaxed road bike in your price tier, but it's iffy. I'd go with a used entry level hardtail with commuter features, if you can find a good one, if you can't go rigid.
Thank you.
>>
remember:
buy first (online)
ask questions later
>>
>>1188967
how so? it has 26' wheels, it can't be that bad for commuting, right?
>>
>>1189365
Gear ratio
>>
I live in an area that's mostly paved, with the occasional dirt road, but gravel is pretty uncommon and I don't plan to deal with big rocks or anything. There are some steep hills here and there.

What kind of bike should I get if I just want to ride around for transportation and fun? It would be cool to be able to go fast, but it's not my biggest priority.
>>
>>1189419
HOW MUCH MONEY DO U WANT TO SPEND? AND WHY DONT YOU ALREADY HAVE A BICYCLE
>>
>>1189427
>HOW MUCH MONEY DO U WANT TO SPEND?
Oops! $500-600 ideally.

>AND WHY DON'T YOU ALREADY HAVE A BICYCLE
I'm a grad student and I didn't have any expendable income at all until recently.
>>
>>1189379
it cant be that bad, i don't even change gears on my road bike
>>
>>1189429
Grad student? C'mon man have some pride and show your worth with the most bitchin commuter bike around
The Spot Acme
>>
>>1189438
I'll have my MA in less than a month though, so I won't be a grad student with that bike for long.
>>
>>1189419
>>1189429
Check for gravel bikes or used casual CX bikes in your area. After you dry your tears on the pricetags, get a GOOD 90's mountain bike or XC hardtail mountain bike. No flat bar road garbage, shit suspension or trash hybrids.

If you suck at handling go with wider tires.
>>
>>1189443
what is your degree in.
>>
>>1189469
Anthropology.
>>
Is a rockhopper a good choice if I want to ride trails, commute, AND just ride around for fun?
>>
>>1188380
Ask the seller what year is it and google to find out whether that's true. If the frame and most components are from the 2010's (the frame looks like it could be, brifters are from 2011, rear derailleur from 00s, crankset from 90s) then this could be a fair deal, still not a super rad bargain imvho.

Looks like it's a 58cm at least or perhaps 60cm frame, which could be a good fit or at least almost good fit for you.
>>
>>1189503
unironically rigid 90s mtb
>>
>>1189419
Kona Dew Plus
GT Tachyon
Trek FX
Specialized Sirrus
Cannondale Bad Boy
Giant Escape
Salsa Vaya
Surly Straggler
All-City Macho Man
Kona Jake

The flat bar bikes will be a bit stabler and give you a higher position which can be nice in traffic. The drop bar bikes will be a bit faster. All will do fine on pavement and gravel.
>>
>>1189528
why the fuck are you suggesting aluminum fork bikes for offroad use, you cone wrench?
>>
>>1188380
>>1188426
Visited this guy today, you fuckers were all right, especially the falconeyes anon >>1188387 . All the mechanical parts were actually from a different generation, the wheels were not even true, the brakes were not fixed properly on the frame and the carbon seatpost had holes in it (should it not?). I seriously doubt this dude actually rode it. The frame was nice tho.

P.S. Holy fucking shit, I mean, we're talking about a 800px tall picture of a roadbike here, how the fuck did you spot *all* of those?

P.P.S.: All of the bikes I tried needed several clicks to shift the front gear. Is this normal?
>>
>>1189537
He said occasional dirt road, he didn't fucking say offroad, you fucking downtuber.
>>
File: file.png (731 KB, 1024x578)
731 KB
731 KB PNG
>>1189525
it's 60cm, and the fit was perfect as fuck. The components were shitty though. I'm gonna try ang get the dude to lower the price to 300-350 euros, otherwise fuck him, will search elsewhere. Probs gonna get something like pic related; it's full carbon as well, will try it out tomorrow.

I also tried out a Battaglin world team, 57cm full campagnolo. I know I'm giving you lots of space for sexual innuendos, but I can't believe 2cm make so much difference in posture and geometry
>>
>>1189542
Not gonna put my finger on it, but this one looks not mismatched, yet older.
Pricewise, I guess 300-350 should be an acceptable deal for either of the two.

>I can't believe 2cm make so much difference in posture and geometry
Check the virtual aka horizontal aka effective top tube length, that's what matters, not so much the seat tube length. The latter can be whatever, but you very likely will feel cramped on a bike with 57cm top tube.
>>
>>1189548
>300-350 should be an acceptable deal for either of the two
Ah wait, didn't read >>1189538
What kinf of holes did the frame have? Got pics?
>>
>>1189365
The gear ratios are abhorrent and you'll get tired of riding standing up/shitty posture in about an hour. Just don't anon.
>>
Anons, which one should I get?
https://www.amazon.ca/Northwoods-Springdale-21-Speed-Hybrid-Bicycle/dp/B003PJHQ00/ref=sr_1_7?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1526417918&sr=1-7&keywords=Men%27s

https://www.brilliant.co/products/astor?variant=24888590217

https://www.amazon.ca/Critical-Beaumont-7-Commuter-Charcoal-50-Centimeter/dp/B019RMCK6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1526418026&sr=1-2&keywords=Men%27s&th=1&psc=1
>>
>>1189553
not the frame, the seatpost. On the rear, at regular intervals. It's normal afaik, but I remember reading somewhere that the carbon ones shouldn't have any
>>
>>1189559
The astor and springdale are irredemable garbage. The beaumot is barely above walmart tier, but that price is despration time.
>>
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia

Height: 73" Leg length: 33"
Looking for my first commuter bike, but I'd also like to be able to use it on park trails. Some of the roads around here aren't exactly pristine, so I'd imagine I should be looking for something with a slightly thicker tire. My ride would be 4.5 miles long with ~200ft of elevation change of that helps. I haven't ever shopped for a bike until recently so I'm pretty clueless besides what I've read on here in the past couple days and heard from a few friends.
>>
What frame size is this possibly?
>>
>>1189591
19"ish?
>>
>>1189571
Park trails as in dirt road?
>>
>>1189592
I'm going to guess that's 1997. I would guess 20.5, but 19 is also very likely.
>>
>>1189594
I think they're crushed limestone or w/e pic related from Google is. Thanks for the response.
>>
>>1189595
Yeah, well probably no man has the eye to tell this exactly.

The hubs look stock too, don't they?

Hell of a nice memebike material anyway. Gotta go see it in person. Anything as nice rarely appears in my shithole country. This one must have been brought from the bongland by some ignorant expat (how do I use the word expat in this sentence so that it unambiguosly means someone who's moved from here to bongland and has brought this bike to his homeland, as oposed to someone who would have moved here from bongland?), and is only 100 €, likely even negotiable.
Do want.
>>
>>1189603
>>
>>1189599
Counts as gravel. 90's mountain bike or xc hardtail, mounts for rack or whatever is a good idea. Size 19 or 20. Maybe 18 or 21 on some geometries.

a sturdy hybrid might work but don't get a fucking aluminum fork as the gravel will tear it up. Think more Marin murwood and less

There's a lot of options on that craigslist, but there's a lot of trash and people are fucking morons who don't include frame size so it will take me a bit.

>>1189603
The bike nazi can do it to one centimeter, but only on road bikes, as well as some of the craigslist superstars we have here.
>>
>>1189619
I've seen people mention 90's MTB several times, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the advice.
>>
Looking for a gravel / all-road bike. One of the uses would be commuting. I already tried a cyclocross bike, but its gear ratio was a bit too much for the hills I live in. It was manageable, but I sure don't want to always climb that fast with all the panniers fully loaded.

Hydraulic disc brakes are a must due to the fair ammount of riding in the rain. Budget is up to 2.5k€, if there's a good reason.
>>
>>1189571
>https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/d/gary-fisher/6568320440.html
I'm not sure of the condition of this one.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/d/nishiki-manitobaspeed/6564460380.html
Basic Japanese mtb

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/d/giant-fcr3-comfort-bike/6584047358.html
A little on the expensive side for what you get. Closer to hybrid.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/d/trek-limited-edition-model-vw/6581431195.html

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/d/giant-rincon-mountain-bike/6580475024.html
I would start with this one.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/d/trek-mountain-track-850-size/6581497781.html
Already comes with a cheapass rack.

There are quite a few bikes for fuckhuge people. You could probably reverse the fork and use it in cruiser mode, if you can't find anything better.
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/d/raleigh-sc40-extra-large-22/6564044055.html
>>
File: U wot m8.png (131 KB, 947x366)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>1188972
>might go up some semi-steep hills, think 30 degrees angle
>Semi steep
>30 degrees angle
>58% grade
>"Semi"
see pic for more details anon.
>>
>>1189557
alright, you guys convinced me
what else could i buy that would give me a similar experience?
>>
>>1189786
>reverse the fork
what
>>
>>1189776
Vaya. If you're not happy with the gearing or brakes, swap them out, but mechanical discs are completely fine in the rain. Hell, even calipers are fine in the rain if you have good pads and have them adjusted properly. But if you insist on hydraulics, get a Vaya anyway and swap out the brakes.
>>
Watching cheat death nyc really urges me to buy a single gear. How does a chinelli gazetta/vigorelli for 750 aud sounds? Im trying to bargain both to 600 and see which bites.
>>
>>1189923

Dunno bout your local pricing but seems okay. I'd value the Vigorelli a bit higher than the Gazzetta but depends on the parts of course. Both have pretty comfortable geometries. Older version of the Gazzetta have a better looking segmented fork, more recent ones have a cheapo unicrown. Vigorellis get better the newer they are - old ones have external headsets and newer ones get a tapered fork.
>>
>>1189924
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fitzroy/men-s-bicycles/cinelli-gazzetta-single-speed-bike/1182762184
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fitzroy/men-s-bicycles/cinelli-vigorelli-/1181353320

Wdyt? Personally i don't know much about these and i use a mtb daily. Would like to hear what you think from the pics
>>
>>1189926

The Vigorelli has VERY good parts on it, but will be a complete pain to ride set up like that - those deep track drop bars are horrible on the street! So you'll want to swap those out at least, but the wheels are good, the cranks are super expensive (but not very good looking!) and the carbon stem and seatpost are somewhat valuable too.

The Gazzetta has much more basic parts and the wheels on it are pretty slow and heavy, but it looks much more rideable like that with the road drop handlebars.

I'd definitely go for the Vigorelli and swap out the track bars for an MTB riser, but the Gazzetta's not a bad deal at all. Also do note that you won't be able to ride the Vigorelli as freewheel single speed since you can't mount a rear brake on it, so pick the Gazzetta if you want to flip between fix and free occasionally.
>>
>>1188972
where in toronto do you ever find a hill over 9% m8?
>>
https://louisville.craigslist.org/search/bia

$700 budget. 5'11.5". Want a gravel bike. Help me out?
>>
>>1190027
https://louisville.craigslist.org/bik/d/2016-trek-crossrip-comp-as-new/6578463388.html

This is the only one I could spot. You might also consider a mountain bike.
>>
>>1190034
What should I look for in a mountain bike or is there something I should do with it, if I don't want to lose TOO much on roads?
>>
I need help finding a bike for a friend.
He is 6 feet tall and the bike is for regular city commuting.
I want to recommend a sub-500 dollar 90s rigid mountain bike since they are cheaper than road bikes, but i dont know what specifics to search for or where to find one.
My location is Mississauga, ON if that helps with craigslisting
>>
File: dent1.png (1.08 MB, 885x974)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>1189591
>>1189592
>>1189595
>>1189603
>>1189604
>>1189619

>inb4 nice blag

Turned out to be having a dent in the top tube, along with bent top tube and warped front triangle.
Too bad.
19" btw.
>>
File: dent2.png (1.02 MB, 689x1157)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>1190080

I guess I need some advice from the all-knowing top tier experts of /bbg/ - what to look for if I want a most kosher 90s crmo full rigid among makes that can be found in the UK?

There are these Marin Bear Valleys. Then there are the earlier 90s Marin Team Issues ('96 already has suspension fork and hence suspension-corrected geo I guess) which seem to be about the same or perhaps even higher tier frames but they're virtually extinct.
Then there should be some Treks and Specializeds, but which ones? Anything else I'm missing out?
What's a good source for 90s mtb catalogues?
>>
>>1190078
>sub-500 dollar 90s rigid mountain bike
isn't 500 $ a crazily generous budget for a 90s mtb?
>>
>>1188123
Went to check out the rockhopper today, you were right. it was too small, my knees were up to the handle bar. Went to my local bike rescue and they had jack shit. Feeling a little discourage right now might give the GF's a look tomorrow.
>>
>>1190034
I bought that one. Loving it.
>>
>>1190089
Not if you include the modern remakes, but anon did say "maximum".

>>1190100
The crossrip is an interesting build. It's an endurance road bike with a wheelset set for light duty thrashing on gravel, dirt and fireroads.

>>1190086
Raleigh had some fucking awesome ones. If you want SUPER rare, try to find some of the old TI frames.
>>
>>1190078
>Mississauga, ON if that helps with craigslisting
There is LOADS of good shit around there. There's actually some old ten speeds if he wants that sort of thing.

https://toronto.craigslist.ca/mss/bik/d/phoenix-razorback/6590528820.html

https://toronto.craigslist.ca/mss/bik/d/norco-yorkville/6590528623.html
>>
bike newbie here.
one of the local bike shops has this for 25% off

https://ridedelsol.com/products/projekt-2018?variant=46489975178

anyone have experience with Del Sol bikes?
>>
>>1189935
thanks for your input man. btw this is a noob question, but i have a nice handlebar on my mtb, if i want to switch that too my new fixed gear with drop bar, how do i change the brakes, do i need to by a new set?
>>
>>1190042
Start with an aggressive XC mountain bike, or 90's mountain bike. You don't need super fat tires for gravel, or deep suspension. Get the lightest suspension you can get away with or none at all. Get the lightest wheels you can get away with.
>>
>>1190142
Can't tell this without bar radiuses, and knowing what kind of brakes.. It will probably be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>1190144
dang. but in general, if i want to change my handlebar from drop to straight what happens to the brakes (the grip part)?
>>
>>1190146
Drop to mountain bike straight? Probably won't work. You need something like a northroad or mustache, or cruiser bar.
>>
>>1190150
ok thanks m8. vigorelli guy asked for 700 which is not a bad deal, i'm just a bit scared of riding pure fixed
>>
File: nanalan.png (72 KB, 326x245)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
Are locks allowed to be discussed here or no? [spoiler]I don't want my crap Uni bike getting nabbed while I'm in class. Do they make locks that can withstand most cutting or is that not a thing?[/spoiler]
>>
>>1190157

You'll need a new brake lever, cable and cable housing. The brake on that drop bar clamps to the 31.8mm thick part of the bar close to the stem so it's not a very comfortable position to actually use the lever, so just get a normal cantilever/road brake lever for 22.2mm bars and put that on.
>>
>>1188086
>>1188122

OP here again so the bike i wan't (the green gary fisher ) is being sold for $200 but upon the realization of the bad fork he reduced it to $150, should i try to haggle him down to $100-120?

getting the fork repair is going to cost a lot more that $50

what should i tell him?
>>
>>1190161
Nothing withstands powertools. Absolutely nothing. What you want is something that needs a powertool to break into, so it's super-ass loud. Go for locks that are rated by a third party rating body, and double check to see if a lock sold as 'gold secure' actually is rated.
>>
>>1190175
probably pass for now, he knew the fork was funky and was trying to be dishonest.

If you love the thing do some research to see if you can put a low end Suntour XCR or XCT fork like what goes on a $600 trail mtb.

You could also do a fixed fork conversion for $100.

Either way I would look for another bike those 90s workhorses are a dime a dozen and you don't have to spent a hundred bucks trying to match fork geometry.
>>
>>1190140
don't buy a steel bike made out of Hi-ten steel. they are super heavy.
>>
I've been umming and ahhing about buying a steel road bike. Not really sure where to start.

Im starting to gather that the market for steel is like
>cheap bikes
dogshit
>moderately priced bikes
don't exist
>2k+ bikes
Some artisan and handmade shit that is nice

Is there anything in the 7-1000 dollar range that is a nice complete or should I just hang out for a gumtree/facebook frameset deal and build it from scratch?
>>
>>1190211
First you should question why you want steel in the first place. It's an inferior material for building bicycles out of.
>>
>>1190211
Both Raleigh and Masi made a retro steel bike based on their old geometry. They are both 1200-1500 dollars.

https://www.raleighusa.com/carlton-team-ti

https://masibikes.com/collections/classic-steel/products/strada-2018
>>
>>1190211
why not just buy a really really nice classic steel bike or a modern allum roadie?
I don't see the appeal of faux-retro
>>
>>1190211
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/aurora.html
You can remove the fenders and rack if you won't be needing them, by the way.
>>
>>1190211
just get a high end 90s road bike and do it up a bit bro, it's going to be a lot nicer to ride than anything new steel for less than 2k and cost like $500
>>
>>1190212
Because I like riding steel and already own high end bikes.

>>1190213
>>1190218
I'll have a look at these suggestions, thanks guys

>>1190216
Buying classic isn't out of the options, I'm just looking at my options.
I like riding steel and I'm happy to pay to have a nice bike

>>1190221
Yeah in my research so far I've seen some that look alright that just need a bit of maintenance and some parts that I'd replace. It's definitely a major consideration.
>>
File: 1481607348426.gif (549 KB, 250x231)
549 KB
549 KB GIF
>>1188130
fuji touring, surly lht, surly troll

>>1188831
>dirt jumper
aw yee i'm in the middle of a build myself
>transition pbj frame (ox red)
>2013 rs argyle rtc fork (the hi-yellow one)
>profile elite ss hubs (gold, 10t driver)) on sun mtx hoops
>profile bb (gold)+cranks+sprocket (25t)
>chromag scarab pedals (gold)
>chromag ranger v2 stem (31mm, gold)
>chromag fu40 bar (40mm rise)
>chromag overture saddle
>el-cheapo fsa seatpost
>el-cheapo fsa headset
>danny mac lizardskin grips (hi-yellow)
>magura mt7 brake
>kmc gold fuckin' ss chain
>2.2 holy rollers

>>1188960
i'd say just go for it still. it's a nice bike for under 400 bux.
>>
Got hit by a car, now I can look for a new bike again.
Cager drove slowly so it seemed like he had seen me.
>>
>>1189935
Decided to buy the gazetta for 600, i think ss ismore for me. Thanks for the input!
>>
>>1190140
That brand doesn't mean anything, it's one of those generic hi-ten fixies that are sold under a shitton of different "brands". I'm no expert at amurican market but here in yurop this price would be around what these usually ar priced at, it's not crazy cheap neither overpriced.
>>1190208
>Hi-ten steel are super heavy
Heavier, yes, but not too badly. A generic cr-mo fixie with similar setup will cost you somewhat more. If anon wants to buy new and can't stretch his budget, hi-ten is what he gets.

>>1190161
This >>1190199, but generally a d-lock from Kryptonite or Abus or what were those other few legit brands. And don't leave a nice bike in a place where nice bikes do get stolen.
>>
File: 1507316947147.png (183 KB, 386x406)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
I just moved where I'm about a 25 minute walk from my dad who is pretty old and sometimes needs help. I'd like to get a bike to get there a bit faster and also for some general exercise.

What type of bike should I look at? A friend told me a "hybrid"? I guess that's a mix between a road bike and a mountain bike?

Also how do I get a bike I buy home if I have a tiny car and the shop is very far away? Do shops help with that?
>>
>>1190380
Oh and I'm 5' 10" and live in Miami. I'd buy something new. Not sure what bikes really cost, but, it would be great if it was under 300-400? Oh and low maintenance. I'll probably never do anything other than put some air in it and grease something that is sticky.
>>
>>1190383
dumb animeposter
>>
File: $_86ral1.jpg (205 KB, 1024x768)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>1190120
>Raleigh had some fucking awesome ones

Thanks.
Any ideas what year and model is picrelated? I don't see any frame with identical livery in any of the few catalogues here
>http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Raleigh/Catalogues/
Another pic shows it has 2060, which I read is the same 531.
So is this frame much the same tier as those Marins which are the lower end among the Afterburner ones?
At a quick glance it seems that the only non-Ti Raleighs above this are the 532=2070 ones.

A pain with Raleighs though is that you have to dig through a huge pile of BSOs if searching for "raleigh bike" hoping to find that underpriced, underdescribed nicer one. This is not as bad with Marins.
>>
File: 1502887257820.jpg (685 KB, 2335x2507)
685 KB
685 KB JPG
>>1190385
rewd
>>
>>1190175
>repair the fork
No. If you get the bike, replace the fork with something rigid. Better to just get a 90s rigid mtb though.
>>
>>1190403
It literally says the model name on the frame. Dyna Tech. Look through bikepedia, you might be able to find the year that way.

>Marins
>lower end
Marins are nice bikes, not sure if you meant to imply otherwise.
>>
>>1190211
Buy a used one from the 70s-90s. Will cost 100-300 dollars. Old ten speeds are amazing bikes, as good as any modern bike. If you insist on new, Surly Pacer or All City Space Horse.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (88 KB, 900x900)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1190408
>Dyna Tech
It's literally a range of mtb AND road bikes not a specific model.

>>1190408
>Marins are nice bikes
Yes Marins aren't low end bikes in general, what I mean is they had a pretty broad range of steel frames in mid 90s
>http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Marin/Catalogues/
and the nicer ones of those had their rear triangle and dropouts named Afterburner, but these frames in turn ranged from the ones (Team Issue) made of somewhat more exquisite Tange alloys to somewhat less exquisite (Pine Mountain, Bear Valley SE and a few others), and I'm assuming that a Raleigh 2060 Dynatech frame is the same tier as the latters.
>>
>>1190211
Start by deciding exactly what kind of steel riding experience you want. Maybe like the Schwinn Letour Legacy? Endurance geo but a little bit on the aggressive side. Longer trail, for long rides. 2x10 drivetrain.
>>
>>1190406
okay so would a replacement would cost about the same as a repair then? does suspension help for big cracks in pavement compared to rigid fork?
>>
>>1189431
25x9 with 26 inch wheels is fine for cruising around. I used to have a Volume Hessian 26 Inch cruiser and it was fine. The only thing is the geometry, The seat isn't meant for sitting on and pedaling on a dirt jumper.
>>
I will probably be 90% pavement 10% light trail riding. Will these tires work well for that? Or do I get an additional set of wheels and tires for the trails?
>>
>>1190622
Slick tires work fine for limited use on trails as long as the surface isn't too muddy, sandy, or rocky. If you want to ride more aggressively offroad you'd want tires with knobs that improve grip on loose surfaces, but if you're cruising over packed dirt the tires you have now will do just fine.
>>
>>1190622
define trail.
>>
File: sv.jpg (254 KB, 1200x900)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>1188086
>height
5'10
>riding
"commuter" type riding mainly. Around the city and my college campus during the school year, and around my suburban hometown during the summer. Also worth noting is that I've never biked much before, and still need to learn how. (I'll have a friend teaching me, but the point is I'm not yet an enthusiast)
>local CL
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/bik
>budget
$140 max, but if I can spend less for any exceptional deals I will
>notes
Found pic related Schwinn Voyageur for $125 and it seems to suit my needs but second opinions and general guidance are welcome
>>
>>1190789
That's fine. It's a super casual commuter bike but that's fine. Do some weekend riding to build legs, ass and bike skills.
>>
>>1190789
That bike is garbage. These will all be better (just make sure it's your size)
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/raleigh-pursuit-10-speed-road/6572163193.html
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/raleigh-capri-roady/6586496388.html
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/panasonic-sport-deluxe-roady/6583512176.html
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/bike/6592004205.html
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/giant-cabriolet-26-inch-10/6571232808.html
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/concord-freedom-selecta-12/6591928140.html

Some need new parts but that should be expected on any used bike
>>
>>1190789
That schwinn looks nice but I don't trust walmart brands

>https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/univega-land-rover-fs-hybrid/6590616822.html
In your budget but might be to small

>https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/nishiki-21-speed-mtn-bicycle/6589096504.html
looks good below budget not sure of the size at all

>https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/2010-haro-flightline-one-16/6582900434.html
good bike, right on your budget says it' fits up to 5'8" though

>https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/1996-specialized-hard-rock-17/6575550170.html
very nice and under budget should fit fine

>https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/nishiki-mountain-bike/6583805827.html
looks promising but over the budget, quality brand
also doesn't look that comfy
>>
>>1188086
>craigslist
https://seattle.craigslist.org/search/bia
>height
5'11'', 33'' inseam
>riding type
commuting, plus occasional longer rides on roads/mostly paved trails. looking to upgrade from my heavy-ass wal-mart hybrid

help me, /bbg/
>>
>>1190811
oh right, budget is probably 500-600 max, less would be appreciated
>>
>>1190811
>>1190812
You have lots of options with that budget

>https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/d/very-lightweight-24-speed-men/6586205232.html
Fits your size way under budget, good condition

>https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/almost-new-cannondale-caadx/6591877277.html
good size and within budget, road bike

>https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/jamis-aurora-touring-bicycle/6591857284.html
low end of budget should fit fine

>https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/55cm-bianchi-volpe-touring/6591850791.html

>https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/custom-bike-packing-gravel/6591403675.html
within budget, lots of extras, good components

>https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bik/d/voodoo-zobop-full-suspension/6566976279.html
check size
>>
>>1190811
Your CL is packed with great options:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/cannondale-rcm/6567907805.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/d/giant-ocr3-with-fizik-saddle/6584529346.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/almost-new-cannondale-caadx/6591877277.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/55cm-bianchi-volpe-touring/6591850791.html
>>
>>1190132
>Mississauga, ON if that helps with craigslisting
Thanks, im probably going to buy the phoenix. Looks like a good bike.
Are there any other options that i should look for or should i just settle with the 10 speed?
Current bike is a 21 speed shitframe mtb (not the rigid one)
>>
Just moved and in need of a bike to ride around for exercise and possibly commute/run errands on. I'm 5'7" and my budget is under $400. How is this? Not sure how I feel about that integrated suspension.
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/bik/d/cannondale-bad-boy-mountain/6587869520.html
>>
File: trashman.jpg (32 KB, 680x465)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1190796
>https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/2010-haro-flightline-one-16/6582900434.html
>>
>>1190853
The bad boy is a good bike. It's a high price, but it looks like it's in good condition. Keep in mind that the suspension is completely serviceable.
>>
I have to make the decision between these two bikes tomorrow:

https://trekbikesmississauga.com/product/fx-2/

My brother wants the second one (brand new, $600) but idk if its worth getting that. What do you guys think? If that's a bad decision, what can I say to convince him not to get it?
>>
>>1190969
Would $250 be good if I could talk him down to that price?
>>
>>1188086
OP back again!

checked out the green gary fisher today, was a bit too small and overpriced for shocks that needed to be repair

found this bad boy posted today
>https://albany.craigslist.org/bik/d/gary-fisher-mountain-bike/6592809453.html
almost like it was fate for me to not buy the green one

i hope it fit's...doesn't look much bigger than the one i tried today though which is surprising bc im only 5'5" and my knees were so close to the bars and the seat raised up felt awkward
>>
File: unamused2.png (158 KB, 400x381)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>go to bike shop
>never been there before
>walk up to counter
>"hey little buddy, what can I get you?"
IM NOT A LITTLE BUDDY!
>"h-hi i was wondering if you had the 2019 treks in yet?"
>what are ya looking for?
>do you have any domane alr?
>"the ALUMINUM bike???"
>yeah alum

>he proceeds to show off his personal carbon bike collection to me via pictures on his phone
>"this is my aero bike that I sometimes use for duathalons but I wanna get a tri bike. this is my climbing bike but I never use it cuz i race crits now..."
>i literally couldn't care less
>"well okay those are my bikes. you sure you want aluminum???"
>uh yeah, the alum one please
>brah (he actually called me this) you gotta go carbon. at least test ride one and see how much better than aluminum it is. cmon i could drop you on an aluminum bike, do you really want to get dropped? here come by the group ride tonight and i'll show you"
>n-n-no thanks, well maybe i'll stop by but I want that domane if I could test ride it
>he starts ringing it up
>uhh could i test ride it first?
>you wanna test ride THIS?
>yeah, i wanna see how it rides
>what are you riding right now, bro?
>tell him i ride a 90s trek road bike
>ah no worries, the alum bikes all feel the same. you're not even upgrading bro. here test ride this carbon one
>no i'd just like to ride the aluminum bike
>well okay but if you bring it to the crit, you'll get laughed at bro
>that's okay. where can i test ride it at
>uhh. just go down this street and when you get back, i'll let you test ride the sl6
>jksdhfjkhdasjhf test ride it
>comfy, handles well, think i'll buy it
>go to buy it
>you sure you want the domane bro? you already got this bike basically. let me show you a madone or a gravel bike.
I'M TRYING TO BUY A BIKE DAMMIT, TAKE MY MONEY AND SELL ME THE DAMN DOMANE
>fed up and feel insecure about buying this bike
>let him sucker me into buying accessories I know I can get 50% cheaper on amazon
i'll never go back
>>
>>1191080
>things I wish I could say never happened but I know they do
>>
>>1191020
Get rid of that garbage fire of a stem and you got yourself a bike anon!
>>
Hey Anon's, what do you guys think of this bike for some trail riding? Is it total crap?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/ice-blue-baby-blue-bike-alloy/6583757958.html
>>
>>1191080
Bike shops, not even once.
>>
Im 5'7, need a good rigid mtb (preferably 21-speed) for city scooting.
My craigslist is Mississauga ON
Last time I posted I got recommended a deal that only had his craigslist mail and nothing else (no phone number or personal email)
>>
250€ for this Gitane Mach 800 (year unknown)
Shimano Sora 3 front rings/8 speeds
Alu frame

Seller says it's suitable for 5ft1in to 5ft7in, and I'm 5ft9.

Should I bother ?
>>
>>1191020
I can't tell apart shit in that pic neither on CL pics but this appears to be a early 00s bike with Deore rear mech and shifters and Shimano M4** or Truvativ Isoflow or similar square taper crankset and the seller might be right about its $700 MSRP. $100 is ok as long as it's in good mechanical shape. Fork might be dead though or shit per se.

What frame size is it and how tall is the person the bike would be for?
>>
>>1191080
Excellent. We need a new bikeshop horror stories thread sometime.
>>
>>1191379
It's too small for you
It also looks somewhat neglected, also 3x8 Sora is obsolete as fuck
I'd pass
>>
>>1191350
Weren't you going to buy this one?
>>
File: 20180519_171458.png (1.84 MB, 1440x1149)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
Found someone offloading a decent condition Raleigh Capri for $30. Even if it turns out to need serious maintenance, it still won't cost much so I think I'll take the plunge.
>>
File: Giant.jpg (164 KB, 1027x542)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
I'm 5'9"
Going to use it for a short commute (3 miles) with light trails.
Seller lowered the price to $300. Should I pull the trigger?
https://columbusga.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia
>>
>>1191400
The guy seemed unsure about the size but said he was 6’1” and fits him fine. I’m going to check the bike out in an a couple of hours.

I’m came across this today though
>https://albany.craigslist.org/bik/d/jamis-sport-mountain-hybrid/6593377926.html

Thoughts?
>>
>>1191419
>said he was 6’1” and fits him fine
Never trust these stories from sellers unless you have a good reason to believe he's actually competent.
I must have previously overlooked and misunderstood you where you mentioned gf (for garry fisher) as if you were looking for a bike for your girlfriend, that's why I said
>how tall is the person
If you're looking for a bike for yourself, how tall are you? You mentioned your inseam is 29", so are you like 5'8"? The red GF should be good for someone around that height, cuz it looks 17" or 18" to me.

>https://albany.craigslist.org/bik/d/jamis-sport-mountain-hybrid/6593377926.html
>assuming the stock pic is the same model as the actual bike
BSO, cheapo drivetrain, possibly shit cheopo hubs. However, rigid fork is definitely a plus on a cheap bike. In case it's mint but the red fisher is badly worn AND you can talk it down to $100 it could be considerable, if you don't find anything better.
>Fits 5'7" to 6'2"
Very broad range if that's what manufacturer has claimed, I wouldn't trust the upper edge but perhaps it actually fits someone in the middle.

>>1190120
>>1190078
>if you include the modern remakes
What language is this where
>90s rigid mountain bike
can include modern remakes.
>>
anyone know any endurance or race style road bikes with 3 water bottle cages? i really dont wanna buy a gravel bike just for that capability but i might have to
>>
What on earth is this thing? Anyone ever heard of Sundance make?

Searching for "sundance exage" only gets me this classified itself, and "sundance bikes" or "sundance fahrrad" doesn't get anything else than the current czech brand, the Fuji Sundance and a few other bike *models* named that, including Steiger Sundance and a few kids' bikes.

Another thing that leaves me puzzled is that the model name implies an Exage LT groupset, yet there's the period-matching Deore XT RD-M735 rear derailleur and Deore DX FC-MT60 crankset.
>>
>>1191460
Also, I didn't know RST used to make fancy forks back then.
>>
>>1191445
sorry about all the confusion but thanks for the responses, i went ahead and bought the GF, fits nicely, chain is a little rusty but other than that the condition is pretty good
>>
>>1190969
rather, completly UNservicable. No adjustment for weight or condtions. No lockout. No repair other than a full on replacement.
>>
What do you guys think of

https://product.rakuten.co.jp/product/-/0b561569d6a541509d51d9026228d9b5/

I'm in Japan for 2 years, I don't think it's worthwhile to get something more expensive if I have to get rid of it, but I also don't want something that will die on me soon. Is this a decent enough road bike for commuting and going riding in the boonies?
>>
>>1191447
diverge is pretty close mate. got the scs derailleur hanger tho i think
>>
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/d/dahon-speed-improved-now-14/6574940438.html

5’11”

General errands, maybe some occasionally commuting <10 mi. Would be nice to haul some groceries with a rack or panniers.

Any opinions on this person’s changes?
>>
>>1188086
>height
5'6"
>budget
$1000-$1500

I have a hybrid bike right now, and I'm looking for a road bike for commuting/general riding around on trails. I've been considering the Specialized Allez Elite, but I'm not too sure.
>>
>>1191528
>Specialized Allez Elite
it's a good buy, you can probably get slightly better value for your money, but important is if you buy from a nice shop and they will help you with setting up the fit. Get some clipless pedals at the same time, that's almost a bigger upgrade then just going road- hybrid

You should really consider a used road bike too, if you live in a city in america, you could spend 1/2- 1/4 as much and still get something great.
>>
>>1191413
Hell yes.
>>
>>1191324
>https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/ice-blue-baby-blue-bike-alloy/6583757958.html

That's a very nice bike. But it's super old, like mid 80's, so it's missing all the modern niceties. Likely points of failure are the shifters and wheelset.

>>1191413
Keep in mind the price on a giant escape 3 is 350 dollars, and 2 is 430. I think it's overpriced, but it's definitely good for what it is.

>>1191445
>What language is this where
>>90s rigid mountain bike
>can include modern remakes.

When someone is describing function, rather than collectors looking for a specific style. Point is, anon got his reference point for bikes and price ceiling in, which was the importan thing.

>>1191460
I would want a better shot of the headbadge. My blind guess would be a Fuji from the 80's , possibly badly painted.

>>1191499
I can't find the specs.
>>
>>1191511
>Any opinions on this person’s changes?
Nothing worth spending above MSRP for. Do you need it to fold in the first place?
>>
Whats the best city commuting bike I can get for $800? My brother wanted an FX 3 but Im pretty sure that bike is overpriced and that he could afford a much better bike for the same price. Are there any other Trek bikes in that price range worth looking at or should I try a different brand? Also I live in Mississauga, ON if that helps with finding bike retail/franchises
>>
>>1191617
All Trek bikes are overpriced.
Look for smaller brands like Jamis or Kona, they have some good deals and lots of variety
Also is the bike for you or your brother? If it's for him let him buy whatever he wants, if you get him something different and something goes wrong you'll get endless shit. And if it's for you, fuck your dumb brother, get whatever YOU want
>>
>>1191561
>want a better shot of the headbadge
Don't have any, but the classified has a few more pics from the same angles if that helps.
>https://www.ss.com/msg/lv/transport/bycycles/mountain/jdjfo.html

What do you mean by badly painted though? Repainted?
If it were a Fuji in original paint and decals, it should be saying fuji some of the tubes too, shouldn't it?

Also I just noticed there's something on the seat tube that looks like a tubing sticker but it's incomprehensible.
>>
>>1191641
*should be saying fuji on some of the tubes
>>
>>1191080
feel you. the only trek retailer in my city is full of racers larping as cyclists. they dont even commute to work at a bike shop
>>
How consistent are frame sizes? Like is a Trek Large identical to a Cannondale Large? I kinda need a Med-Lrg
>>
>>1191651
See geometry of the particular model on manufacturer's website if it's a recent model.
>>
http://thebikezone.com/2017-marin-fairfax-sc3/
Should I get this bike? Is this a good price since it's on sale or am I getting ripped off? Are there better bikes I don't know about? I live in Mississauga so I can't get cool Jamis bikes.
>>
>>1191703
Crank gear looks huge. Not a bad thing, with bikes you get what you pay for. A $800 Marin, $800 Trek, $800 Giant, all have good shit on them. You'll love itm. I like that Marin's frame shape a lot.
>>
>>1191703
But you can still get cool Kona bikes
Can you actually go to the store and test out their bikes? They have a shitton of different Kona and Felt models for pretty decent prices. I think you should go there and see which one you like better.
Or just buy the cheap steel bike from your CL
>>
I want to buy this
https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/49cm-26-cruiser/6593364309.html
>>
File: brand[1].gif (8 KB, 200x200)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
>>1191641
I meant it might have said Fuji Exage LT at one point, but the Fuji got repainted.
>>
>>1191617
For 800, you can get anything up to but not including full on randoneur, gravel, or surly bikes. The trek is super overpriced for what you get. It depends a lot on exactly what you want. More cargo, more of a racer, indestructibility, offroad, ect.
>>
>>1191651
>How consistent are frame sizes?
ZERO consistency. Measure your crotch. Measure the bike, every single time.
>>
>>1191817
Looks comfy and a not too bad of a frame. What does it say there, Physi.....?
>>
>>1191703
It's C+/B- for a new, big brand bike with LBS support. For that price I'd expect GOOD hydraulics. There's also the question of whether flat bar road with hydraulic brakes is what you want in the first place, but if it is, go with it.

I mean, they have actual road bikes at the same price point.

Be careful, because some of the pics on their bikes are BLATANTLY wrong.

>>1191817
It's probably an OK bike, but that Cheap ass spraypaint job looks horrible.

>>1191856
I'm guessing it said "panasonic", which made some good bikes back in the 80's, but no telling what the fuck that thing used to be really.
>>
File: 1991 13 Sundance.jpg (467 KB, 2440x1745)
467 KB
467 KB JPG
>>1191849
Why would anyone do that.
What funny however, is that Fuji did have purple bikes around that time, pic related.
>>
File: DSCF1574.jpg (281 KB, 1600x1200)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>1191817
>>1191856
>>1191858
Wait, it clearly says Physiofit.
Google it, there are some results.
>http://hughsbicycle.blogspot.com/2011/04/free-spirit-physiofit-meets-schwinn.html
>>
Absolute beginner here:

I just bought a Japanese 5-spd, and I want to convert it into a 9-spd, 10-spd, or 11-spd. Can I just buy a new cassette and a new chain? What do I need to keep in mind?
>>
>>1191870
You're so noob you can't even find the right thread. I can't tell you without seeing the thing, but measure your dropouts, and go read a hell of a lot of sheldon brown.

>Can I just buy a new cassette and a new chain? What do I need to keep in mind?
Oh hell fuck no. You'll be lucky to do this without buying a new wheel.
>>
>>1191860
Because it got paint damage near there. The color is one reason why I"m guessing it MIGHT be a fuji, but who knows really?
>>
>>1191870
post a picture of it
>and I want to convert it into a 9-spd, 10-spd, or 11-spd
why do you want to do that?
>>
Any recommendations from Australians where to look for used bikes other than bikeexchange / Gumtree?
>>
My uncle gave me one of those specialized sirruses. Looks old. Never ridden a bike before, will this work? It has weird pedals and those curved handlebars.
>>
>>1191934
Take pics. If it fits, you should probably ride it.
>>
What's the online bike shop /n/ has been shilling for so long now?

Also, rec for a beater hybrid commuter bike because suburbs
>>
6'2" 188cm looking for a commuter bike in Chicago.

Still using the bike I got in high school I know nothing about bikes but know/feel its shit.

Budget is $100-$300 but could go higher if anyone finds a nice on Chicago/Chicagoland craigslist.

The couple I found are:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/d/royal-blood-fuji-sports-12/6569228562.html

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/bik/d/86-lotus-excelle-25-in-made/6594971054.html

>Japan
>very sharp

Any thoughts on these or general recommendations or advice for buying/getting more into bikes?
>>
File: 20180521_124610.jpg (3.98 MB, 4160x2340)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB JPG
Hey /n/.

I'm a trash-tier /o/ poster but I'm too poor to support my car habit and need to get to work. My uncle dug this out of his garage, said his friend gave it to him and it's a decent bike.

I'm 5'11, 230 (but I've dropped from 300 in the last 6 months) and last rode a bike like 10 years ago. Is this a terrible starting bike? Is it worth putting the money in for tires and a tune-up? Only about 5 miles a day ride, pretty gentle.

Frame says Specialized Sirrus Sport? It also has weird pedals that look like they need special shoes.
>>
>>1192290
Also never ridden a bike with those weird curved handlebars.
>>
>>1192293
>those weird curved handlebars
you can't diss drop bars on /n/.

2x14 gears should get you most places. Shouldn't need any mechanical work you can't do yourself. You should have heaps of tools from working on cars too.
>>
>>1192290
its an absolutely perfect starter bike, good size for you, condition looks quite good.

You could fix it up yourself if you're vaguely competent. Those tires look ok, maybe they just need some new tubes. Replace the pedals with some bmx/ mtb flats for now. You just need a 15mm spanner. Both sides unscrew towards the back of the bike (left side is a reverse thread). lightly grease the new threads.

you could get a rear rack for commuting so you don't get a sweaty back, it has the mounts for it
>>
>>1192290
>>1192304
>good size for you
Looks like a 60 or more to me
>>
Looking to get rid if my hybrid. Are either of these bikes any good for a 5'7" manlet?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/shogun-katana-road-bike/6595461424.html

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/1985-club-fuji/6581240310.html
>>
>>1192346
No dude, you should probably be on a 54. a 52 might work as well, maaaybe a 56. Those are too big.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/1986-team-fuji-black-flamingo/6574910517.html
get this imo, if you can afford it / haggle. good size. it's a very cool vintage bike. great condition. suntour sprint was a high-mid range group, on par with ultegra at the time, the fuji team was their top model, i bet it rides great. It looks really nice

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/lotus-odyssey-56cm-full-tourer/6540486144.html
cheap comfy tourer- wide tire clearance & low gears, good deal, check you have balls clearance standing over the top tube though, and don't feel stretched out on it, if you don't want a road bike

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/trek-1200-aluminum-road-bike/6580494563.html
more modern than both above, probably make a better road bike, bit more modern, allum so lighter and stiffer but fucking ugly and beat on and probably rides quite harshly

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/54cm-cannondale-road-bike/6581701282.html
same as the trek but definately a project bike- cool though, better than an allum trek

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/1989-schwinn-traveler-red-and/6573109226.html
lower tier pleb bike less cool than all but decent enough and best condition

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/centurion-made-in-japan/6581137035.html
p good bike, good deal, project though and personally i think the paint is hideous . maybe too small.
>>
>>1192276
90's mountain bike, or the cheapest rigid hybrid that's similar, disregarding wheel size.

>>1192282
That is a 97 or so specialized sirrus, If it fits, you should ride it. Take anon's advice about a pedal swap. It's a superior starting bike, double buted chromolly, the best Japan had to offer at the time.

Imagine the bicycle equivalent of a 90's supra or 300zx in quality.
>>
File: 2462000_2017_A_1_Boone_7.jpg (84 KB, 1360x1020)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Seller is asking $1450 for a 2017 Trek Boone 7, how much should I offer?
>>
Trying to help a friend find a bike. He is about 6'2 230, will be his first adult bike. Will use it for commuting around town. Pavement isn't terrible but it's not great either.

Austin.craigslist.org

Thanks yall.

Here is one I found. I almost want it for myself. I'm 6'2 as all.
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/giant-kronos-road-bike/6591605743.html
>>
>>1192559
>https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/giant-kronos-road-bike/6591605743.html
The chainrings and so entire drivetrain are shot, i don't think it will be long before it starts to slip under high torque, what is going on with the brake cable bosses on the top tube? the red rims & red frame is hideous, its an ugly bike, modern-ish but you're still not getting dual pivot brakes, definately check those stis work, because they're really old, and it's with a triple, it's not a particuraly high end frame, fine though, and i'm that height and prefer to ride 58 or 60 although i can get by on 56, i end up with quite a bit of post, long stem, somewhat ungainly handling on steep long descents and an aggressive position. maybe 250, considering the wheels the prize is not that unreasonable though, but i just think the red rims ugly red frame is hideous.
>>
With regards to sizing, after being burnt twice following the manufacturers sizing guide I will always buy a size smaller from what they recommend from now on
>>
>>1188976
Trails in your area warrant a FS bike, but you're not gonna find any FS worth riding for under a grand. You can get a really nice used hardtail though with plus tires. At low psi it would help ease the jolts to your back and whatnot. Not equal to a FS, but better than what you have now.
>>
>>1192300
>>1192304
Thanks for the advice m8s. Gonna go pick up a helmet on the weekend and give it a test ride.

>>1192315
What does "looks like a 60" mean in relation to size.
>>
Zektor 2 or fx3?
>>
>>1192609
It means sized for an NBA power forward. But don't worry about it. Get on it and see if it works.

>>1192676
Both are stupidly priced, and the whole advantage of flat bar commuters is their price. Between those two the Zektor 2 is less idiotic in specs.
>>
Can anyone recommend me a good brand new flat bar commmuter? I live in mississauga, ON if that helps with finding retail
>>
>>1192827oh forgot to mention my budget is sub 800 leaf dollars
>>
>>1192827
>>1192829
Holy shit you've been asking the same thing for weeks just go buy a damn bike already
>>
>>1192829
seriously with that budget just go to a bike shop and ask to try a few
>>
does anyone have a giant contend? how do the default tires fit the rim? are they comfy? any problem with the tubeless?

deciding between a few bikes. wish the contend had a few more features on it but not having to deal with flats would sell me on it
>>
File: cambium-c15_1.jpg (42 KB, 1000x625)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
I just bought a new bike and I want to get a good saddle for it. Does anyone know a good knockoff of a Cambium?
Or just any good saddle I can get off aliexpress or something.
>>
>>1192866
Measure your fucking ass.
>>
>>1192869
So if I measure my fucking ass, any seat will be comfortable? Okay.
>>
>>1192282
>>1192417

Shit, slept on it and now its gone. Anyone have recs in Chicago craigslist?

Judging by the pictures, something like half of the bikes on craigslist are from a few sellers - do people buy them and resell them for more? Is it a good idea to buy from these sellers?

I'll keep looking and will post more that look good but I'm still kinda lost overall.
>>
>>1192866
>wants to get a good saddle
>goes straight for knockoffs
Just get a Charge Spoon man
>>
>>1192871
No you cone wrench. You get a saddle that matches your ass measurements. Do you even own pants?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.