[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 2065472.jpg (310 KB, 1000x692)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
Was economy class actually better in the 60s? This pic from 1963 doesn't look too different from today
>>
People probably chatted instead of staring at their phone
>>
>>1189037
So, worse then.
>>
>>1189033
Not much. You got more amenities without extra fees, but flying also cost a lot more adjusted for inflation. The bin and window designs also made things feel more claustrophobic and the lighting and atmospheric conditions in the cabin were worse.
>>
>>1189037
Lolno, they just read a newspaper or some shitty book
>>
>>1189033
Yeah it was nicer and less niggers.
>>
People didn't take their shoes off and act like complete slobs so I guess you could say it was better.
>>
>>1189033
They didn't squeeze you for fifty fucking dollars to check a suitcase
>>
>>1189084
Joke's on you. I don't wear shoes on to the plane.
>>
People behaved themselves better back then.

People in coach are freaking slobs andnrude, more often then not.
>>
They didn't stick fingers up your butt and make you go through 2 hours of security checks.
>>
>>1189033
notice how nobody is wearing sweatpants and there are no niggers or similarly savage creatures violating the social contract between airline passengers trapped together.
>>
flying experience was more elite
meals on long flights served on china with metal flatware
gifts!!! travel agents and ticket offices gave away shoulder bags
overseas flight gave away toiletry bags with mouthwash, toothbrush and toothpaste
lots of magazines and same day newspapers
kids got souvenir toys and Jr.wings pins
generally young and attractive stewardesses

in general today's first class has more space and main cabin is MUCH more crowded
>>
>>1189175
and literally no niggers on the plane. that is very important.
>>
business travelers in suites , personal travelers in skirts or slacks and dress shirts - people really dressed up to fly

also... no jetways that I remember in the 60s
you walked up mobile stairs (except at the marine terminal)
>>
>>1189184
>tfw the good times are gone
>>
>>1189184
The only place in the world where tarmac boarding is unique is North America, and there jetways are absolutely necessary. I'd say about 10% of the flying American public is physically incapable of ascending airstairs and another 15-20% on top of that would struggle with them and lodge serious complaints against any airline who didn't deploy a jetway.

IIRC Southwest looked into it pretty seriously because it would make turnaround times that much faster but knew they'd lose too many passengers.
>>
>>1189197
>I'd say about 10% of the flying American public is physically incapable of ascending airstairs
How come? That many invalides?
>>
>>1189200
there are not in good enough physical shape to make it up a flight of stairs and/or are too wide to fit up them
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 1000x790)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>1189033

You were allowed to smoke in-flight.
>>
>>1189184
hell, when I was little in the 90's my parents still used to dress me up A LITTLE to take an airplane, say at least some decent trousers and maybe a polo-style shirt. Nothing fancy, but more than the standard beach-tier fare you see nowadays.
>>
overhead space was much smaller
I guess check-in enforced carry-on rules
because I don't recall people carrying on
anything larger than a purse or attache bag

MRY (Monterey, CA) still has mobile stairs.
I arrived on an AA RJ900 from Phoenix last Month.
>>
>>1189033
>Was economy class actually better in the 60s
>book economy class
>virtually every flight has outlets now
>plug gaming laptop in
>plug vr headset in
>plug headphones in
>plug controller in
>heat the cabin to 90F
>??????????????
>profit
I'm gonna go with no.
>>
>>1189372
>can't even open laptop properly because the front seat is so close
>most economy classes don't have power outlets
>>
>>1189404
>can't even open laptop properly because the front seat is so close
That's why you use a VR headset famalam.
>most economy classes don't have power outlets
At this point the inverse is true. It's not 2010. I can't remember the last time I didn't have an outlet. Maybe when I fly Allegiant or a similar airline, but at that point I'mj ust hoping we make it.
>>
>>1189033
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_economy

>In some ways Premium Economy has become a standard reflecting what Economy was like 40 years ago (or more); as an example the seat pitch of United Airlines' Economy Class was 36 inches back in the 1970s, the same seat pitch as most airlines' Premium Economy these days

The quality of airline accommodation expanded downwards so even the poorest of society could afford a yearly holiday abroad. Advertising 101 dictates you should frame everything positively, so instead of creating a new sub-economy class, economy became worse and new, better-sounding classes like "premium economy" were created to cater for the old economy audience.

TLDR fly premium or business unless you're a barrel-scraping plebian.
>>
>>1189506
these "budget conscious" travelers even suck at that. I've been flying Norwegian transatlantic for over a year now and the plane is almost never more than 1/3 full. Meanwhile at adjacent gates there are United and AA flights going to London just like me that I know cost three or four times as much as Norwegian.

Its just pleb tier Americans being fooled as usual
>>
>>1189170
>They didn't stick fingers up your butt and make you go through 2 hours of security checks.

That reminds me of my trip to Hedonism.
>>
>>1189596
Norwegian also has lots of brand new planes and Wi-Fi on almost all their flights. I haven't flown transatlantic with them yet but all of the European flights I've done with them have been almost full.
>>
>>1189760
Because NAS is just a Euro Southwest. NLH operates differently.
>>
>>1189033
They allowed smoking back then. Imagine that.
>>
>>1189790
They also allowed opiates in the victorian era
>>
>>1189084
This. A lot of flights I'd fly couch if it wasn't for having to be with the slobs. I think there should be a basic dress code on airplains, nothing too strict but a collared shirt and jeans or slacks - business casual. I can't believe people are so trashy they'll walk on an airplane wearing a beat up t-shirt, mesh shorts and flip flops. Or the women in their bloody workout gear. You'd think women would be better than the guys, but they really aren't.
>>
>>1189889
coach*
>>
>>1189889
If shorts and a T-shirt are good enough for my office job why would I dress up for a flight?
>>
File: 1497344067210.jpg (107 KB, 1080x1080)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>1189909
I guess that's their reasoning. When I go in public I make sure to at least have a clean shirt on and some nice jeans. I'm not exactly fashionable, but not being a disgusting slob isn't really that hard.

I see people get on airplanes with sleeveless shirts on. Working in your yard that is fine, on an airplane that's rude.
>>
>>1189889
Why would you care if someone wears a t shirt. Flying isn't special, you are not special for being on an aeroplane.

We should absolutely force the fatties to all sit next to each other.
>>
>>1189889
who gives a fuck?
the only unacceptable thing is if you smell
>>
>>1189922
Well you are taking it a step further with making the fatties sit together, but I'm in complete agreement. Or at least make them buy two seats if they are over a certain weight.

>>1189922
>>1189925
I care if someone is dressed sloppy while flying because clothing influences behavior and improves the overall experience. When you are in close quarters to other people you should be on your best behavior: clean, well dressed, and polite. That's my feeling, right or wrong.

I guess peoples attitude is that airplanes are now just flying buses and since they don't treat passengers well why should the passengers care about putting their smelly feet on the bulkhead or dropping McDonalds ketchup on the floor. But it's a terrible cycle, because the less the passengers care, the less the flight crew cares, and around and around.

I'm not advocating wearing a suit, I'm just saying business casual.
>>
File: 1006_4n.png (173 KB, 395x598)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>>1189264
I second this.
>>
>>1189911
>on an airplane that's rude.
Retard
>>
>>1189175
>overseas flight gave away toiletry bags with mouthwash, toothbrush and toothpaste
I remember my dad coming back home from an international flight with some of these even in the late 90s
>>
>>1189262
>tall socks and still shows skin
why are suit pants so fucking short?
>>
>>1190099
they still give those packages away in first class and generally in business. first class is still pretty nice on international flights. I was just on Air France first class Miami to Paris and the food was great, lay flat beds, flight attendant made the bed for me (sheets/bedding/blankets), took me to the first class lounge when we landed from the first class jetway in a private car (you want down the stairs off the side of the jetway and onto the tarmack where a car is waiting), I cleared customs while having a glass of wine and some scallops while I waited for my connection - food was very good in there too.
>>
>>1190136
How did you end up as a richfag?

Interested because I’d like to become a richfag for similar reasons.
>>
>>1190102
They're cut for when you're standing up, there's not supposed to be any overlap between them and your shoes, cause that would wrinkle it
>>
>>1191656
You know that the overwhelming majority of people in First Class were upgraded, right? Almost nobody pays full fare for that.
>>
>>1191718
What kind of poorfag doesn't change to sitting-down-pants before sitting?
>>
>>1189033
Maybe it may have been better service wise but at least now you dont have to make 8 stops to get from UK to Australia
>>
>>1189200
Yes. America is known for its miracle flights. People board flights with the help of wheelchairs or crutches, and are miraculously cured of their malady upon landing. Without jetways, these individuals may never actually be cured.
>>
>>1189033
>no fatties
>no niggers
>no kids
>no TSA
Fucking paradise.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.