[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 92 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 1526953199814.jpg (79 KB, 374x500)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Driving a bike on the sidewalk:
>convenient for motorists
>convenient for cyclists
>mildly inconvenient for pedestrians

Driving a bike on the road:
>huge annoyance for motorists
>huge risk for cyclists
>mildly convenient for pedestrians

Why is sidewalk cycling illegal again?
>>
>>1192227
>convenient for cyclists

Have you ever ridden a bike for real? Like, on an actual city with real people?
>>
Remember to report troll threads
>>
>>1192228
No, I live in a tiny sub-50k city with virtually no pedestrians and wide sidewalks but no bike lanes and with crazy asshole drivers, and I got fined €50 for cycling at a leisure pace on a sidewalk today so I need to vent somewhere.
>>
>>1192227
Correction:

Sidewalk:
>huge risk for cyclists, far worse than being on roads as motorists are unprepared for cyclists flying into intersections via sidewalks and heaved paving stones present a terrain danger
>huge risk for motorists, as cyclists now approach corners from a more blind angle
>huge risk for pedestrians, who can suffer severe injuries from being hit by a bike

Road:
>medium risk for cyclists who follow rode rules, only danger is being killed by texting motorists or motorists who don't check their mirrors when turning right because they were trained wrong or are stupid
>medium annoyance for motorists, who have to give them 1 metre of space while passing which isn't difficult at all and if you don't like it consider taking public transportation as you lack the behaviour regulation to drive a 2 ton missile
>safe and convenient for pedestrians

total idiot cager
>>
>riding over joints evenly spaced at 1 meter intervals
>>
>>1192231
What city you live in? Tickets for cycling blows.

In boston where I commute sidewalk cycling is totally allowed, with the only rule being that you need to make an audible noise when passing pedestrians ( on your left, bell etc). You can run red lights, cut across lanes, use crosswalks, all right in front of cops and they never do shit.

Its nice to bike in the bike lanes though, since the segmented sidewalks here slow me down.

When I used to own a scooter, I remember just riding right in the middle of the lane to prevent passing entirely, ESPECIALLY in intersections or very busy roads where, when you think about it, they can't pass safely, and shouldn't be anyways. If more people in your city did that you'd see bike lanes in no time.
>>
>>1192227
Signed someone who's never actually ridden their fatass in traffic. Of the times I've been hit by a car, twice were when I was on the sidewalk. (Once biking, once walking.) You think you're invisabe on the road, try the sidewalk. Ha ha.
>>
>>1192244
>only danger is being killed by texting motorists or motorists who don't check their mirrors when turning right because they were trained wrong or are stupid
>Doesn't realize almost everyone is mindlessly texting and driving while turning without checking blindspots
>>
>>1192227
Oh look, it's another useles stupid troll bait thread!

Kid, don't you have anything better to do? Are you a shut-in? No friends (not hard to believe)? Stuck in your house for the summer, nothing to do but sit on the internets shitposting?

* * * GO OUTSIDE * * *
* * * PLAY WITH THE OTHER KIDS * * *
* * * STAY OFF THE INTERNETS * * *
* * * YOU SUCK AND WE DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR LAME SHIT * * *

sage, sage, sage.
>>
My city lacks cycling infrastructure in so many places that it is virtually impossible to take the five minute ride from my home to university without three to fifteen traffic violations. I try not to give a fuck and use sidewalks and streets as necessary, but it stresses me the fuck out. Police department is very close and I almost got hit by cars on several occasions.
>>
>>1192244
I'm more worried about a motorist swerving into the bike lane by accident than I am riding on a sidewalk. I see this happen all the fucking time. At least on a sidewalk I get to control whether or not a motorist will ram into me. In a bike lane I just have to hope they don't drive like a retard and again they usually do drive like a retard.
>>
>>1192446
Where do you live? Suburbs here make every intersection blind with the trees, bushes, and fences. If you go silly slow, it's no biggie. (I do it occasionally ), but it's not worth it most of the time unless youre riding a BSO in LA or something
>>
>>1192250
>Of the times I've been hit by a car, twice were when I was on the sidewalk.
dude, just how many times have you been hit by a car?

When i'm cycling on the road the worst part for me is changing lanes to make a turn (can be dangerous with cars speeding by) and slowing down before a turn as i'm always wary if motorists will slow down as well. I would be ok with turn signals and brake signals on bikes actually, they are useful if you want to ride with traffic.
>>
File: 1453167015659.jpg (73 KB, 720x480)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>1192247
>boston
I spent a summer in Boston and used a borrowed single speed to get around and it was the best commuting experience I've ever had.
>went down mass ave from cambridge to harvard med
>scenic as fuck route going across charles river, backbay, and the fenway
>roads are narrow, so cars don't go all that fast
>going between street and and sidewalk to beat traffic
>constantly going through red lights
>got so good I turned 20min into a sub 10min ride
Cycling felt so accepted there I remember one time a motorist that almost hit me apologized even tho I was in the wrong. I wish I could relive that summer sometimes.
>>
>>1192525
>I would be ok with turn signals and brake signals on bikes actually
Same, especially brake signals, since cars seem to have a hard time judging how fast bikes are going. However, it would have to be some system where I could still have a regular tail light as well as a brake signal, and cars would know which is which, but that may be wishful thinking
>>
I've found signaling while on a bicycle to be of limited usefulness, and often counter productive. When I signal a variety of things happen.
>they don't believe me and stay put
>they misconstrue the signal as waving them on
>they use it as an opportunity to cut me off

I also notice that drivers frequently don't signal if I'm the only other person around. Its like person on bike is equivalent of the road being empty. I notice it most when a car is opposite of me at a red light and they wait until its green to turn on their left signal.
>>
>>1192805
Those already exist you know, red taillights that attach to your rear brake caliper and shine brighter when you're stopping
>>
>>1192813
Many modern drivers probably aren't even familiar with hand signals. I use it mostly to communicate with other bikers and as an additional safety measure.
>>
>>1192887
>Many modern drivers probably aren't even familiar with hand signals
I always point where I'm going because of this, they seem to understand that better
>>
Given people rarely use the sidewalks here I always ride my bike on them
>>
>>1192940
What do you do when you inevitably run into someone? Do you enjoy your wheel clunking over the gaps between the concrete slabs?
>>
>>1192813
>I also notice that drivers frequently don't signal if I'm the only other person around. Its like person on bike is equivalent of the road being empty.
Most drivers around here only use their signals when they feel like it. It doesn't even depend on the situation for most of them.
It fucking pisses me off when I'm driving down the highway at 130km/h and they think it's fine to swerve in front of me at a 2 meter margin without signaling first.
Or when I wanna cross the road and there's a car turning onto the road in front of me, when its lack of signaling would have indicated otherwise.
>>
>>1192246
>>1192953
*thud thud* ... *thud thud* ... *thud thud* ...
>>
>>1192227
Face it, cyclists are always an annoyance.

Dedicated bike lanes or we break every law we think we can get away with.
>>
>>1193141
I use an mtb, barely feel those gaps
>>
>>1193142
>Dedicated bike lanes or we break every law we think we can get away with.
Yeah, those laws are made for cars and retrofitted to me without much thought, sometimes to the point of danger, so fuck it.
>>
File: Turn Signals.jpg (44 KB, 940x385)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1192525
>>1192805
>>1192847

Dude, you DO know the hand signs for bicycles and cars whose lights don't work, right? Right?
Fuck you guys don't deserve to have a license.
>>
>>1193345
We've kinda addressed this. Personally, I've had my signals largely ignored, thought of as a wave, or most often, motorists taking it as me flipping them off. Not super helpfull.
>>
>>1193338
exactly
>>
>>1193345
Somehow taking a hand off your handlebars when you're about to turn or brake never seemed like a great idea to me. Also drivers are usually just confused by them. The one I always do is when I'm about to switch lanes, but I do it with a thumbs-up instead so cagies feel they're doing a good deed by not accelerating and ramming me from behind
>>
>>1193371
You make the signal well ahead of your turn dumbass not just as you're doing it. Look, signal, maneuver.

I've noticed that septics pull this dumb shit in their cages too so understandable that seppo bike riders will be just as stupid on the same subject.
>>
>>1193376
In my state, you signal at 100 feet before your turn, about a basketball court. To a cager, that's a million miles away. Really gotta do it closer for them to understand
>>
>>1193345
>Dude, you DO know the hand signs for bicycles and cars whose lights don't work, right? Right?
Yes, I do, but half the drivers around me don't, so they aren't always effective. I get much better results just pointing where I'm going
>>
>>1192227
You're obviously not riding at any quick speed
>>
>>1192227
What isn't though?
>>
>>1193483
True, can't wait until the day of the self driving rope.
>>
>ride on sidewalk
>giant 5 inch break in concrete level from treeroot
>otb
>huge pothole in sidewalk, practically a fucking ditch into the dirt underneath
>tire puncture
>hobo laying across sidewalk
>otb and get shanked
>massive pile of dogshit
>no splash guards, shit hits the fan
>>1192231
>I got fined €50
How? Not like a bike has license plates. Just say you don't have ID on you. What are they gonna do, search your fucking bag? We got constitutional laws about that shit, very nice lawsuit for you if you know the right lawyer to cash in on it. I'd throw the ticket on the ground and spit on it. Well, in murrka at least, dunno about yurofaggots.
>>1192247
>>1192531
Shit, I need to move to Boston. Denver here, pigs need to be shot.
> one time a motorist that almost hit me apologized even tho I was in the wrong.
Holy fuck. Here they all but go out of their way to murder you, and then they get pissy and purposely ride as close to you as possible while hanging their head out the window to shout at you with spit flying. Literally. All this legal weed and these cageniggers can't manage to chill the fuck out. (I've never done weed, before the jokes start.)
>>
>>1193483
>>huge annoyance for motorists

The only thing annoying about cyclists is their bitching and moaning when you ignore them like you always do.
>>
>>1192227
Idk, I prefer sidewalks if they are literally empty.
On crowded streets... Well, fuck them.
>>
Ride MTB to work, I choose life so a portion of the ride is on the sidewalk. Don't care, simply don't care if it's right, wrong or otherwise.
>>
File: bordur_02.jpg (264 KB, 700x525)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
Also curbs.
>>
>>1192227
Whats the second part of the word "sidewalk" you fucking retard
>>
File: 1525653507608.png (321 KB, 500x500)
321 KB
321 KB PNG
In my city nobody bikes on the road and everybody bikes on the sidewalk, i couldn't fathom having to bike on the road with all of the cars, sounds crazy, what's up with you Americans?
>>
>>1193716
>dunno about yurofaggots.
We have cycling lanes for that. I doubt you'll end up nicely if you spit on stuff a policeman does in the US, though, more like you'll get shot.
>>
>>1194996
What country?
>>
Packfags run red lights and murder old people even when they're on the road, they'll be unstoppable killers if they're allowed anywhere near pedestrians.
>>
>>1195022
>running reds
At least in germany that is legal if the first rider of a group of 15 or more had a green light.
>murder old people
Never heared about that..
>>
Just today I had my tires burst swerving onto the curb to avoid a motorist running me over
>>
>>1195021
binland
>>
>>1195069
Well that's surprising
I'm not American and only children and clueless casuals ride on the sidewalk, in fact it's illegal and people get ticketed for it every day. I'm sure it's similar everywhere else in the world... except Finland, it seems.
>>
>>1193367
>motorists taking it as me flipping them off.
yeah this has happened a few times to me. kek.
>>
>>1194996
I like to bike but always go on trails, i can't imagine riding on the street. tons of people do it here. i'm too scared.
>>
>>1195070
Well that's just odd, i really can't imagine being forced to ride on the streets. I suppose the current system is possible here because there are so many walking paths so that they are never completely filled with pedestrians so you can easily bike there. If this was some huge extremely dense city like Hong Kong i suppose things might be different.
>>
>>1195070
>in fact it's illegal
??
Only in certain US states and most of UK.
It seems to be legal in Finland and Norway, and most of Asia
>>
>>1195182

In Finland it's always indicated what type the sidewalk is - there are pedestrian-only sidewalks where cycling isn't allowed (quite uncommon, only in city centers), shared sidewalks where pedestrians and cyclists both go on their respective right side of the road (most common type) and split sidewalks where the cyclists ride on the half that's closer to the road and pedestrians walk on the half further away from the road.

Maybe the strangest thing is that even 45 km/h mopeds are allowed on most of the sidewalks over here (the shared types where both pedestrians and cyclists go)!

But seems to work okay since there's so little traffic.
>>
>>1193345

Lmao just point nobody in the 21st centuty knows that putting yoir hand up means "right turn" they think youre waving.
>>
>>1195183
Moped sidewalking seem to be a Funland only thing.
Its a unique thing that breeds resiliance and resistance, in spite of the common norms of the worlds traffic.
>>
File: images(3).jpg (7 KB, 200x210)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>Driving bike on the road
>>
File: cyclists-houten-2011.jpg (119 KB, 800x399)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>Driving a bike on properly planed & constructed segregated cycling infrastructure
>>
File: IMG_1507.jpg (407 KB, 1024x768)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
>>1195214
Feels good, man.
>>
>>1195206
That's usually more of a risk when using bike lanes, at least in the US. A lot of them are just a painted lane right next to parked cars, and only 3" wide, so if you ride in the bike lane and somebody gets out you're guaranteed to get doored. If you're taking the lane you can ride far enough away to be safe, but when they put a bike lane in, if you take the full lane there's a chance someone will try to kill you for slowing them down, so it can actually get more dangerous when they put a bike lane in.
>>1195214
>>1195252
What do you get out of gloating? Yes that looks very nice, and I'd love to have it here. I'd settle for the city repaving the roads once they're 50% potholes and traffic lights that could be triggered by bicycles though
>>
Fucking hate it when motorists tell me to ride on the sidewalk. Unless they're willing to pay the $80 fine, i'll do it. Else, I tell them every cyclists has the right to use the road and driving is a privilege. Most hate it when put in their place.

It's even more hilarious when it's caught on camera, they take off once the dickwad (or cuntwad) realises they're being recorded.

Bonus points when I use the pool noodle (yes, it's legal in ontario, HTA rule 148, section 6.1 for motorists). Eight hotshots didn't like it, the rest just drove past.
>>
>>1195528
>when I use the pool noodle
How do you use it?
>>
>>1195036
>if the first rider of a group
Explain why groups (of anything) get special legal dispensation to engage in unsafe behavior.

Roads are for transportation. Aside from sanctioned (and properly permitted) parades or races, they are for the purpose of getting from point A to B.
>>
>>1195532
you put it over your cock and fuck them in the ass with it
>no lube
>>
>>1195532
For a trike, it's ziptied (or tied with good thin rope) to the front of the basket, below the seat post, under the spot you usually mount the rear light to.

For a two wheeler, it's on the rear rack, ziptied or tied with good string or rope.

Some prefer a fiberglass rod inserted inside it, so it stays rigid enough not to drag on the road. Others don't care. Reflective tape is a must, so motorists will see it at night. There are right-angled mounts to dock it upright available, usually with a piece of metal wire (not easily bent).

It's basically a virtual bike lane with a soft, physical semi-rigid barrier. Be alert though, motorists usually try and make the rules up, saying it's against the law or it's illegal, when it is not. Never been stopped once.
>>
>>1195573
It gives your bike a cock, regardless of your gender. Some put it on the rear so it gives motorists the message to stay a metre or less behind when they stop. Last thing they want is a potential hole in their hood. ;)
>>
>>1195604
A soft cock that can't penetrate anything though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1B2FfjvMY4
>>
>>1195528
show it to us....
show us your nooodles.
>>
File: ww1-cyclist-corp.png (629 KB, 709x526)
629 KB
629 KB PNG
>>1195528
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyX_O5ldrnk
>>
I'd rather ride on the road. but I'm not in some southern shithole where people run me off the road. only use the sidewalk sometimes during rush hour or when somethings blocking the road.

in dc you're supposed to ride on the sidewalk and it makes sense tho most of the major roads are crowded and filled with distracted drivers going fast and the sidewalKS are bigger
>>
>>1195296
>What do you get out of gloating?

I'm not gloating; I'm pointing out that the OP poses a false dichotomy that your choice is either "Ride on the road" or "Ride on the sidewalk", and worse, neither of those are the correct answer.
>>
>>1195544
Youre saying it's unsafe for no reason. If others are aware of the law, there's no danger in waiting for the group to pass. (In its largest, most visable, and thus safer version) Straglers are harder to see and might get clipped. Or might try and catch the group, doing something actually dangerous like running a red somewhere without a rule like this in place. Even moreso, the most dangerous thing for a cyclist to be is stopped, ESPECIALLY at a traffic light.

You say 'unsafe' but what you mean is 'not fwair daddy powiceman!'
>>
>>1195823
>Youre saying it's unsafe for no reason.

No. There are very good reasons. Primarily, it motivates people to try and maintain the group in spite of conditions and road regulations put in place to maximize safety. You now have two competing goals: Ride safely and keep up with the group.
<quote>the most dangerous thing for a cyclist to be is stopped, ESPECIALLY at a traffic light</quote>
<p>Nope. Ever seen a cyclist get tee-boned blowing through a light? I have. It's gruesome.
<quote>If others are aware of the law, there's no danger in waiting for the group to pass.</quote>
<p>Drivers can't see the end of the group. Approaching a green light, how do they know that the tail end just passed or there's another batch trying to catch up?
>>
>>1195834
It's only dangerous to try and keep up with the group when there isnt a group law. Motorists should be held to the law which has them wait for the whole group, eliminating the danger we have in the US, which would mean keeping up with the group by running reda no one will stop for

Whenever you stop, you risk a car running into you from behind, verbal and physical abuse (Had things thrown at me), and even though cyclists accelerate quickly, it's still not quick enough for motorists. Real dangerous when youre the only one sitting at a light and a motorist comes up only looking for cars and assumes no one is actually there. I nearly got ran into that way once because some asshole wanted to make a right on red and only looked left.

If you see a group go by you know to wait and see if there's more. If you cant see the other half of the group, law doesnt really apply since theyd have to be real fucking far away to truly not see them.
>>
>>1195834
It honestly seem like something at was passed into law after observing competitive bike tours
Basically: Group reached red light: Group stops
Group reaches green then yellow light: Straglers will hit read and stop, but the pack won't, so a clearly visible mass will go trough.

It has 3 benefits:
1. Arranged races have laws to lean on, simplfying arrangement
2. People might encounter a group in the wild, that do this. So they learn to pay attention.
3. Bikers are encouraged to stay in group, even in the wild, if possible
>>
the only thing that really scares me about driving on sidewalks are fucking cuntbag drivers who abruptly come out of alleyways rather than creeping in and checking out both sides like they should. had way too many close moments from these assholes.
>>
>>1195544
>Explain why groups (of anything) get special legal dispensation to engage in unsafe behavior.
1. it is not dangerous
2. they are handled as one vehicle by law
3. this makes it easier to keep a group together
>Roads are for transportation. Aside from sanctioned (and properly permitted) parades or races, they are for the purpose of getting from point A to B.
Indeed, but they are also for recreational/training rides.
>>
>>1196127
That's why riding on sidewalks is dangerous though, car drivers aren't looking for fast moving vehicles on the sidewalk, they're looking on the road.
>>
How do bikes fit into the upcoming self-driving revolution
>>
>>1196260
It won't happen, tech companies are straight faced lying to people about what their autonomous vehicle technology is capable of to increase stock prices, that's all
>>
>>1192227
>be me
>driving down narrow road with fairly heavy traffic both directions
>no bike lane, and line of cyclists on the shoulder
>nobody can pass them without hitting them or swerving into oncoming traffic
>speed limit is 45 MPH
>they're going about 15
>break in traffic on the other side of the road
>about 20 cars swiftly move over and pass the cyclists
>200 yards ahead, traffic light, turns red
>cyclists pass every single car up to the front of the line, wait for the light to turn green, and dart out in front of the entire line again
>once again stuck behind 15 MPH cyclist convoy I can't pass safely

Why does it happen? I am a cyclist, I do century rides, I've been on narrow roads with upset traffic. Why do some insist on antagonizing everyone?
>>
>>1196298
Find another route like youre telking cyclists to find another route
>>
I ride on sidewalks whenever I can because I live in a small town with heavy vehicle traffic and very little pedestrian traffic.
No need to be that asshole who slows everybody down, I know I fucking hated dealing with cyclists on the road whenever I drove my car.
Cars coming up fast from alleys are a problem though, had a few close calls already but whatever. Bunnyhopping over big cracks in the sidewalks is fun.
>>
File: 45678.jpg (90 KB, 900x601)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1192227
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1TI9Y3xPTE
>>
>>1195706
>neither of those are the correct answer.
Ride in the sky?
>>
>>1196340
no baka, he's Dutch, he's saying ride on the specific cycle path which pedestrians and cars are not allowed on, which is common in built-up parts of the Netherlands.
>>
>>1196260
Cities with good pedestrian infastructure might realize that expanding said walking infastructure might be reasonable.
And if there is enough space, it might be reasonable to do the sane thing: Just allow the bikes to go everywhere, and unfuck movement for wheelchairs at the same time: by removing the pavement heighted edges.
For shitholes it will still be shitholes, and there will still be massive congestion if parking houses are located outside of toll barriers.

Self driving doesn't change anything, it will just making parking even easier for the bikers. But cars that properly respect the laws for overtaking, means that you will suddenly have all cars doing proper overtakes, making the road far less scary for people who is in new strange areas.

>>1196298
Because:
1. They can't legally just form into a group
2. The training is really stupid, so people think they have to go on the edge, instead of forcefully occupying the whole field like how the road is suppose to work
3. Road is actually too small to support the traffic
In a more civilized country, you either add more lanes for traffic: Which can even be done by adding separate bike paths, or expandig the sidewalk to accomodate bikers.
Or even more civilized: Bikes group up into one really really large formation, and doesn't bypass other vehicles like a group of ants.

Then again, the core complaint is that in rush hour, there is no space for traffic, so its a horrid crawl. That can't be fixed unless there is more space, and less people on the road.
>>
>>1196340
>He doesn't even understand there is a third way

It's so sad.
>>
>>1192227
OP is just another scared little babby who can't handle the Big Bad World outside his parents' front yard without pissing his pants.

Seriously little cunts like you should not bother trying to ride a bike at all. Sell your bike on craigslist to someone who can handle it, and just stay in your basement lair, safe and sound, playing your vidya gaymes, and having your mommy bring you your chicken tendies and juice. Then you won't have to clean excrement out of your pants constantly because a car passed you on your bike. Going the other direction. On a 4-lane street, as far away from you as possible. In a 25mph school zone. On a Sunday, in full daylight, and they actually *slowed* because the driver was an 85 year old grandmother of 6 who didn't want to startle you.
>fucking casuals
Makes me think it's not such a bad idea to require licensing for cyclists, so we can keep some of you off bikes to start with.
>>
>>1195834
><quote>
><p>
</quote>
Go back to Slashdot, faggot.
>>
>>1192231
>crazy asshole drivers
Grannies going 15mph in a 25mph school zone and giving you 10 feet of room when they pass aren't 'asshole drivers', you're just a weak pussy who shits himself when someone says 'BOO!' and startles you.
>>
File: 1470272132163.png.jpg (32 KB, 620x349)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1192227
paxster postie car and mobility scooters are more of a hazard to pedestrians

>also
motorists are somehow pissed off when I use a pedestrian phase to get out of their way
alternative is I wait 30 seconds or more just so I can stay as an obstacle to turning cars and vice versa
>that one intersection now has a bike phase lmao

>>1192231
make sure not to exceed 15 kph on the foot path when its crowded
mind you most cycle est cant handle that kind of speed
or manage mutual or beneficial courtesy
>>
>>1195214
>you're
I love the Netherlands!
>>
>>1195528
>pool noodle
>ontario
>camera

pic related?
>>
>>1196615
So, what's the deal with pool noodles? If I have one and someone passes me and smacks it, what happens?
>>
>>1198293
Nothing, but most motorists think everything is like battery acid to their car, and as a result, won't hit the noodle. (At least in theory, I know in my state it'd be ripped off first day.)
Makes them give you the space they're supposed to.
>>
>>1196615
If you rode around with a camera on your helmet, you would get mugged so fucking fast in my city
>>
>>1198309
How do they catch you?
>>
I think Im making a case for more cycling infrastructure.

Sometimes I cant believe riding on the road is even legal. There is NO minimum speed. You can have ten cars honking behind you and just mosey about putting 0 effort into peddling. Some intersections are so large the light is red before I even get halfway across.

Going down a one way with cars lining both sides at 5 mph with a car flashing its lights at me riding my tail. Fucking priceless. I get bored and go for bike rides in the city sometimes and Im in no rush, just exploring and having fun, doing wheelies etc.

It's so weird when I'm in some massive 20 lane intersection on a fucking bike.
>>
>>1198296
So if I put a pool noodle on my pickup truck, it would keep cyclists from passing me in the gutter?
>>
>>1198317
lol, put a noodle on your microdick, friend
>>
>>1198317
whenever a car blocks me off I just go up onto the sidewalk and reenter traffic dangerously.
>>
>>1198326
At least my dick still works. No bicycle seat ED here.
>>
>>1198495
Ok, sweaty
>>
File: Two big ol eyes.png (660 KB, 1106x1012)
660 KB
660 KB PNG
>Tfw ride on sidewalk
>tfw this thread polarized me on a topic I never really thought about

The sidewalks are mostly empty at night. I hardly bother anyone
>>
>>1192227
Statistically you're more likely to get hit while riding on the sidewalk
>>
Honestly goddamn dumb Americans, sidewalk riding is superior in every single way unless you wanna go fast but i mean cmon you're in a city, just don't go fast.
>>
>>1198585
Save a life, bin that bike. Nobody needs to ride a bicycle, just be safe and walk instead.
>>
>>1198602
t. a country where every ganbanger nigger is packing heat
quite contradictory huh
>>
>>1192227
Too many bikers expect pedestrians to yield to them or don't understand that pedestrians don't pay attention to what's behind them. You need a bell and you need to be ringing it way before you even get close to somebody walking or even standing still and keep ringing it as you approach. The bell doesn't have to be a traditional bell but can be anything from a noise maker to a dog squeaky toy. Just something to signal that you're approaching and 90% of people will gladly yield to you.

The problem is the majority of bikers don't do this ever and instead nearly run over people, scare people, or actually run in to people causing (minor) injury to both parties.
>>
>>1198609
Did you have to pray to allah before making this post?
Stay on the sidewalk you child.
>>
>>1192244
All cyclists on sidewalks should always stop at road crossings, dismount thier bike, and cross the road as a pedestrian. However none of them do this ever either.
>>
>>1195206
>passing slow moving traffic on the right.
>>
>>1196101
It's the same for funeral processions and related.
>>
>>1198628
insallah brother
>>
>>1198629
Not in my country, you are allowed to ride through the crossroads if the walkway on which you are permitted to cycle continues after the crossroads or something like that.
>>
>>1198627
lmao i never ring a bell, i don't even have one, you dumb peds need to learn to walk straight,
>>
>>1196615
Yes, mine is a full meter long though, and pink. ;)
>>
>>1196615
*with a stinger, reflective tape and a quote from the ontario highway-traffic act (citing rule 148, section 6.1).
>>
>>1192361
Implying fatties go outside
>>
>>1198602
So a bike is dangerous but a 2 ton murder machine is perfectly safe?
>>
>>1198771
You don’t car on the sidewalk.
>captcha: select all sidewalks
>none of them have cars on them
>>
File: powerdrift.jpg (213 KB, 1500x1000)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>1192227
>>convenient for cyclists
>>mildly inconvenient for pedestrians

That's like your opinion maaan.

I have no problem braking a little and overtaking when possible. Ofc if those are not like cyclist in USA which can drive in the middle of lane absolutely legally for miles and where crossing a double on completely empty road takes you to jail.

Also fuck cages in cities. Praise to bikerbros.

Alternate scenarios on the other hand are a huge pain in the.
>>
>>1199122
>Ofc if those are not like cyclist in USA which can drive in the middle of lane absolutely legally for miles and where crossing a double on completely empty road takes you to jail.
Find another road to drive on
>>
>>1198309
wat city
>>
>>1199469
Detroit
>>
>>1199123
Sidewalk.
>>
>>1201100
Drive somewhere else sweatie
>>
>herpaderp riding 15mph in a 35mph road despite a clear sidewalk is totally fine!

Vehicular cyclists should all be gassed.

https://youtu.be/S3SFMIEN59I
>>
>>1201272
Drive somewhere else, then
>>
>>1201198
why tho?
>>
>>1201304
Why should I bike somewhere else, why do you have priority ? I pay just as much as anyone else.. Any money more paid by motorists is to cover the extra damage they do and extra infrastructure they need.
If you can tell a cyclist to move, same applies to a car, especially since going out of the way takes zero effort when driving
>>
>>1201376
>Any money more paid by motorists is to cover the extra damage they do and extra infrastructure they need.
The extra they pay doesn't really cover the difference, but motorists like to think their piddly registration fees and gas taxes are the sole thing that funds roads.
>>
File: 1510585854068.png (105 KB, 645x729)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>1201376
>>
>>1192227
I'm much more comfortable cycling on the streets than driving. Been rear ended (and not at fault) twice in seven years of driving, never had so much as a near miss while cycling, and I've been doing that for a much longer time.
>>
>>1192227
>Driving a bike

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.