[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

>"hey come on our group ride. we start at 6am, go for 60 miles then all go out to eat"
i go. they are all going 10mph despite being kitted out on carbon bikes. being drenched in sweat does not cause any hesitation as they pile into a shitty chain restaurant (chili's) and drip sweat all over 3 tables, a booth and 13 chairs. they all order beers and stuff themselves to the brim with wings and other garbage tier food.
Not sure how any of them got home honestly.

so i wait for the advanced group ride
>6 riders total
>17mph is better
>they're huge assholes on the road running red lights, cutting off cars, taking the lane when there's a huge bike lane to ride in, throw gel tubes, co2 cartridges and other shit into the middle of the street
holy fuck, i almost snapped at them

>"hey there's a duathalon next weekend, wanna join? it's only $100"
no i dont wanna do your shitty duathalaon at 12 mph on the bike then pull every muscle in my legs trying to run for the first time in years. is pecifically cycle so i dont have to run and get hurt/sore.

i walk into store to buy a new bike
i know exactly what i want, just want to test ride first
have the exact amount of money set aside to afford everything
>they spend an hour trying to get me to buy carbon, top-of-the-line groupsets and SL versions of everything

lose a thru axle cap
>they insist of selling me an entire thru axle
my screw-in seat clamp strips
>make me actually pay $20 for a new one
get a flat, ask to use their air compressor
>charge me $3
i've probably spent $20k there the past 2 years
>never get any type of discount or special for regulars

if i didn't have such a comfy job, i'd be the fuck out of here
>>
>>1195835
>i've probably spent $20k there the past 2 years
>never get any type of discount or special for regulars
I wouldn't give you a discount either given how much of an asshole cuck you are.
>>
>>1195838
eh. I used to get the royal treatment before I moved

Also theres no bike union here so theres no pressure to act decently as cyclists. My hometown had a bike union
>>
>>1195838
t. buttblasted local bike shop owner
>>
>>1195841
I don't even go to an LBS. But the guy spends $10k/yr despite being abused. Why shouldn't they milk him for all he's worth?
>>
>>1195835
you are a noob if you can't run without hurting yourself
>>
>>1195835
>acts superior towards freds with carbon bikes
>somehow manages to spend $20k in 2 years in an LBS that treats him like shit
>isn't buying carbon when buying a new bike even though having spent that much money on bikes in two years
2/10, made me respond
>>
>>1195835
LOL sounds like a casual ride that got tooken over by Fred's. Sounds nasty af.

Second ride sounds like you have too many assholes in your area. Honestly I've stayed loner from group rides. Too fast for the casual, to laid back for the advanced douches lol.

Being up sold to is just how most lbs are. Go in there to look at a specific type and they try talking you into the top model or sell you 2k+ carbon wheels, I get that shit all the time.

Getting Parts from a lbs is the worst place to get parts. Big markups, limited to the more expensive brands, and their not going to want to just order the one part you need because parts usually are not sold that way.

Expecting discounts because you shop there is a bit arrogant and entitled. Only way you might get a discount is if your buddies with the owner and it would only be on services not products, even then your not likely.
>>
>go into lbs
>ask mechanic politely for brake housing
>owner drifts up to me
>explain to him my situation
>sorry can't help u lol we got a loooong line of bicycles to service
>call him a liar to his face since the mechanic said he could cut me some
>the assistant cuts me some cable and I pay for it
>an hour later I go to install it, it's shift cable
>7 dollars
>they're all obese

>"volunteering" at triathlon because muh JC gets a donation. basically they tell student athletes to work for nothing
>working in changing tent. 95 degrees outside. dudes stripping down from bicycle gear to running gear (just take off the helmet lol?)
>110 degrees inside the tent, aerosol deodorant, sunscreen, cologne going off all over the place, etc, really unfit rich people into extreme sports getting naked, me and other ppl shuttling clothes
>leave to used bicycle store, see used Hollowtech II Dura Ace crankset for 50 dollars
>neat.jpg
>a year later I have a matching bb, ride 25 miles to pick it up
>go into lbs
>they want 100 dollars for it
>point out that it sells for 50 dollars on ebay
>buy it for 75

>go into lbs
>it's a cafe, beer restaurant in addition to bike repair/rental
>buy 6$ kombucha
>add water after drinking 1/4 of it, repeat ad infinitum
>run into some mtb bros that give me some beer on the way through the park

>it's memorial day
>don't go into lbs, it's closed
seriously wtf. I needed to install my new crankset.
>>
>go into lbs
>wanting wheel trued and dished
>they return it with worse dish
and that's why I learned to true wheels

>inside lbs
>a qt is relating a tale of how another lbs dropped her bicycle three times somehow while they were supposed to be repairing it, so now she is learning to do her repairs herself
>>
>>1195835
>17 mph
>advanced
lmao
>>
>>1195835
You are very close to becoming a retrogrouch. It's fun. Many of us but itself old bikes because that way we'll never have to visit a bike shop again
>>
>autismal
>go into lbs
>mumble something about racing wheels
>we're mostly mtbs, sorry
>air tires, apologize and buy a knockoff clif bar
>>
>be servicing 70s 10-speed
>go into LBS with wheel
>hey do you guys have a tool to get this odd ball freewheel off, none of mine are the right size
>takes it in back
>comes back after 10 minutes
>yeah we have it, but one of the guys probably took it home. come back some other time.
>come back couple days later
>nah i dunno man, still don't have it here. come back later.

just happened to drive by a bike shop in another city later that day and still had the wheel in my trunk and they were able to get it off for me.
>>
>go into lbs
>ask about new ultegra pedals
>explain to them that I can buy them online for half the price
>>
Need parts for bike
>Go online
>Pay 1/2 to 3/4 lbs price
>profit

>go eBay china
>pay 1/4 to 1/8+ lbs price
>watch dipshits spend $10k year
>laugh your ass off
>>
>go into lbs
>ponder their product selection
>>
>>1195866
>protip always do that, they love that shit
>>
>>1195867
exploding chink garbon
lol I have 150 gram Chinese carbon seatpost on one of my bikes
>>
>>1195871
desu I'm surprised that I've never been into a retailer that actually offers anything other than MSRP
>>
>>1195872
thinking about buying a Thomson Masterpiece 0 setback for my new CAAD9 tho
>>
>>1195872
Have chink carbon, dropbars, seat post, stem, bottle cages. All rocksolid no issues, some people are just unlucky.
>>
>go into LBS
>ask about their pricing for spokes
>it’s penis inspection day
>I fail the inspection and get charged $2/spoke for DT comps
>>
>>1195880
That's the issue with chink carbon. If you're lucky you get solid product for a great price. If you're unlucky you get a deathtrap.
>>
>>1195888
The decent manufacturers have been around long enough so that there’s no luck involved anymore, just good or bad decisions
>>
>>1195888
True there's the potential for shit that will break as you use it. Which is why I've always tested the parts I've gotten. Looking it over for cracks, coin test, and installing it on a stationary bike and using it rougher than you would irl listening for cracks. It's more work but worth it in the end.
>>
>>1195835

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG4hOjJ9tEs
>>
File: cbsg.png (56 KB, 220x325)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
For some reason all bike shop guys come off as being this guy, but super fit.

It is always super difficult to get in with them. But once you have a rapport it sometimes works out and they are pretty cool.

I think they are just jaded at how difficult it is to compete w/ wiggle/amazon.
>>
Depends on the bike shop. I regularly visit two lbs in the city, one of which is much closer to the other but serves a much more expensive clientele while the other caters to all forms of cycling. Case in point, I wanted to get into my B.B. which was held by a lock ring but to get the crank off required a 15mm hex socket which I can’t be bothered to buy myself since it comes with all other socket sizes that are redundant to cycling needs. I asked them if they a cheaper socket wrench and all of the mechanics had told me they have never seen a crank arm installed in such a way, which is pretty rediculous. The guy also derided my winter beater one time, saying that it would fall apart because it was so cheap and old. I don’t understand how something more than 10 years old is already considered obsolete by these people.

On the other hand i’ve never had such a problem with the other lbs since they don’t cater specifically to freds.
>>
>>1195835
>they pile into a shitty chain restaurant (chili's) and drip sweat all over 3 tables

I wonder how do those Freds on group rides eat at restaurants? Far as I know those Lance wannabes who group ride are too cool to carry locking devices on pretty much every ride. So what do they do with their bikes?
>>
>>1195955
Here and burger land Buffalo Wild Wings sponsors them and they will hold your bike for you inside
>>
>>1195955
>>1195960
yeah there was no one else there so they let us put our bikes inside against the tables for an hour. we actually got there half an hour before they officially opened but they made the food anyway since everyone got the same thing except for a few of us.we also didnt go the advertised 60miles, more like 35.
>>
>>1195962

Well that is one way to get out of not bringing a lock.

I take my bicycle even though it is a folding bike inside restaurants in Hoboken, NJ and often don't fold it(to save time and effort) while I pick up my food and they don't care. But I could imagine restaurants would say something if a gaggle of Freds brought several bikes inside on a continual basis.
>>
>>1195882
Thank god I have a fat cock and can get a discount on every inspection day.
>>
>>1195867
For a second, I was confused as you why you were buying parts by the half pound.
>>
Where I live there are a lot of bike shops. There is one that caters specifically to Freds, one that is mostly about mtb and a seriously high quality one that is inbetween. There are 2 other pretty generic ones.
The in between one always has the shit I need and it doesnt matter if it is anything from an ultegra 10 speed chain through to a cassette for a 1980's road bike. But I bought a bike from one of the other ones because it was much cheaper and fitted my requirements better - big mistake , I have to order every spare online as they dont even stock the chainrings for the bikes they sell!
>>
Is there any chink carbon that comes in 60cm frame size or larger? I ride a 61cm AL bike now. Do I just accept that my unborn children will have to go to community college or is there a chinese carbon maker who will make a big carbon frame?
>>
>>1196136
I haven't looked up any vendors off the top of my head, but there should be open mold frames in 62 up to maybe 64.
>>
>>1196136
The Dengfu R02 has a fairly large stack and reach in its largest size for China carbon at 598 and 401.5. That's about equivalent to a 60 cm CAAD12.
>>
>>1196136
Also take a look at Hongfu's FM069 and FM098, both of those have fairly large stacks as well.
>>
>>1195835
Faggots like you who waste threads just to complain about their shitty little lives should not only be banned you should have the 4chan Police show up at your house and smash your computer with a sledgehammer, then pistol-whip you.
>>
>>1196160
While the bitching sucks, we haven't really had any threads about group ridez.

I guess everyone is just discovering them or re-discovering them now that it is summertime.
>>
>>1196165
Group rides are killing race attendance
>>
>>1196131
>There is one that caters specifically to Freds, one that is mostly about mtb

Yeah there is no difference. Fred culture is about apeing racing culture. That one that probably caters to mountain bike racing culture, almost guaranteed. Almost no bike store in the Anglosphere caters to use oriented cycling, because too few people cycle as a mode of transport.
>>
>>1196207
Did you know that online retailers exist?
>>
really? my lbs is fun. my old work buddy's wife works there and the shop manager is my homeboy from back in the day.
>>
>>1196209
I know online shopping exists, punk of the Igeneration. There are lots of things I would never want to buy online like bicycling panniers, any type of shoes(it took me forever to find non-cleat Five-ten shoes as a brick store), etc.. I also avoid buying online for the most part in principle because it kills jobs and will lead to an unprecedented loss of jobs and worldwide depression if everyone shopped like you miserable shits of the Igen.
>>
>>1196219
You are one of the lucky few who has a chill laid back one then. Most of them here are absolutely fucked. Take full advantage of your /comfy/ shop man, you're lucky
>>
>>1196227
>There are lots of things I would never want to buy online like bicycling panniers
What? Why wouldn't you buy panniers online, I have before and didn't have any issues. I understand wanting to try shoes on first, but why panniers?
>>
>>1196227
>it took me forever to find non-cleat Five-ten shoes as a brick store
Top retard. It took me 30 seconds to figure out which REI near me has Five Tens in stock in my size. Tripfags really are the dumbest imageboard users.
>>
>>1196209
>>1196230
>>1196232
>unironically replying to nikolasv
Stop
>>
>>1196227
I buy 90% of my cycling stuff from aliexpress. Not dead yet.
>>
>>1196232

I have been to my local REI store in the past and they didn't stock Five Ten mountain biking shoes(non cleats) in the past. On a recent visit there where I arrived by bicycled I did buy them, and it was a bitch to transport them back. I had to stop at the local HomeDepot(hardware store chain) to buy something to use to fasten it to my rear rack.

Recently I noticied even a local Fred bike store, Marty's Reliable Cycle of Morristown also started stocking non-cleat Five Ten mountain bike shoes. I am glad though I got it at REI because they probably pay their worker's better, have better benefits, they are worker owned and I also got a $15 rebate from that purchase last year.

I have no idea what is going on that recently those shoes which were nowhere to be seen(in stock) are now so readily available.

>>1196209
Also to you Igen idiots saying: shop online, buying items like shoes or clothing is stupid to buy online because you should try the fit before committing to a buy on anything. Another issue is that bike store employees should be more familiar with bike products than you. But if you are a non-Fred there is "non Fred expertise" to be had. I want to get a dynamo hub and dynamo light for my cyclocross and there will be no bike store I can to go to for expertise or advice. I will have to research on my own, buy the parts on my own, I won't get to try anything out, there will be no friend or even person I see riding around who I can ask for advice, I will just be buying blind, etc.
>>
>>1196237
Fuck you’re dumb
>>
>>1196237
You seem to have a case of teh dumbs
>>
>>1196227
>>1196237
LMFAO fucking retard spotted
>>
>>1196237
filtered
>>
>>1196283
>>1196282
>>1196270
>>1196238
samefag
>>
>>1196292
Back to /pol/ with you
>>
>>1196356
What? That doesn't even remotely make sense. Not that I'm supporting the tripfag, hes an idiot, but still
>>
My local bike shop is awesome. Sucks to be you, OP
>>
>>1196207
I meant roadie freds, my bad. Also i don't know enough about mtb to judge.
>>
>>1196369
back to [s4s[ with you
>>
>>1196237
Oh fuck nikolasv is from NJ? I shop at Marty's. I like the one in Hackettstown better than Morristown. None of their shops really have a great deal of stock, but the Hackettstown group is friendlier. With subjectively better group rides and usually end at a local microbrewery. Plus they'll actually take a second to explain things to you if your a noob.
>>
Am i the only one who thinks it is pretty pathetic that shops need to make themselves charity cases?
>>
>>1195874
Look, most bike shops have to pay rent, pay their mechanics and all the other stuff related to the business.
Also, many parts get grey imported by the internet shop that sells them off for a cheap and makes money via quantity.
I have seen shimano XT rear derailleurs offered on websites for less than what i could get them from my official distributor. That's a fact.
local bike shops (unless they grey import stuff) can't compete with these prices.
>>
>>1195952
BTW, it's a 14mm nut bolt and not a 15mm. Additional to that you need a special tool to pull off the crank from the axle.
>>
>>1199488
Online shops have to also pay rent and to their employees. They win on quantity and purchasing/negotiation power compared to small shops.
>>
>>1199571
I know about online shops that consist of one single guy selling the stuff from their own house out of the garage.
No additional rent, no employees. And one of them admitted to me he sells grey imported shimano and sram parts.
>>
>>1195840
what is a bike union?
i dont frequent /n/, but i'm thinking about getting a bike so i'm reading up here a bit
>>
>Go to LBS
>Want to buy cycling shoes
>Have quite wide feet
>Try on pair.
>Length wise great but too narrow around my toes.
>LBS guy grabs a larger size.
>Still narrow as fuck.
>Eventually wants me to try on size 14.
>I've got 9.5
>Eventually tries to meme me into 350$ Specialized shoes.
>Still too fucking narrow and ugly as fuck.
>Go home empty handen
>Buy online

>Go to LBS because I need some tools.
>Look around
>Surprise, they don't have what I am looking for.
>Employees too busy with old people buy e-bikes.
>Wonder wtf I am doing here.
>Go home empty handen
>Buy online

I gave up on those people. From now on I just buy everything online which I mostly did already.
>>
>>1199488
>unless they grey import stuff

>>1199583
>And one of them admitted to me he sells grey imported shimano and sram parts.

Wtf is "grey" import?
>>
>>1199611
fuck off, nico
>>
>>1199632
Go drink yourself into a stupor Germanic scum... You gave yourself away with the form of Nicholas(Nikolaos/Νιkόλαος in the original Greek) you used.
>>
>>1195835
Thanks so much for the blog post you gigantic faggot, nobody gives a shit about your temper tantrum, fuck off.
>>
>>1199635
>not getting this is exactly why nobody likes you
You're a redditor who couldn't even handle it there, and now they're here taunting you for hiding after having a meltdown there.
pathetic.
>>
>>1199635
Wait you're not greek are you?
>>
>>1199747
Call him nikoslav, it gets him really hot under the collar
>>
>>1199583
Yeah there are 1 man&garage online shops. However they aren't the ones that steal your customers. It's the large online shops that cause problems for local shops.
>>
>>1199635
The German shortform of Nikolaus would be Klaus or maybe Niko or Nicki.
>>
>>1199748
Fucking kek
>>
>>1196227
>it kills jobs
nah, it sends those jobs to the Amazon distro.
more workers means more need for supervisory positions (+++PROMOTIONS+++), less brutal hours for the shop floor and a general increase in working QoL due to decreased stress and a more shared workload.
>>
>>1199611
>Wtf is "grey" import?
a legally imported item sold outside of 'normal' distribution channels.
>>
>>1195835
>i've probably spent $20k there the past 2 years
>>never get any type of discount or special for regulars
Should've joined that dualtriathlon.
>>
>go to ebike vendor
>Immediately demo the bike I want
>I'm too short for the stock suspension post, they swap it with a regular one for free
>Free tune ups for a year
>>
File: 1523869291220.png (212 KB, 602x452)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
>>1200886
>>I'm too short for the stock suspension post
>>
>>1200896
I'm a gril btw
>>
>>1195835
>group ride
stopped reading there. never, ever go on some shitty group rides.
>>
>>1200886
sounds like you might want a size smaller frame. slightly longer stem?
>>
>>1200923
It's already a Step-Thru / 26*457MM, there's nothing serious smaller than this unless I want folding. I do not.
>>
>>1200902
Show menstru bobal
>>
>>1196974
People that expect shit for free are charity cases.
>>
>>1199571
You are absolutely wrong in this assumption. Shimano has garbage tier pricing control that dates back to the 90s. These sites are just buying parts in the Asia-Pacific market and selling in the us market. Bike shops in north america are all on a pretty similar pricing structure with shimano. Even the biggest ones are only paying about 10% less than the mom and pops.

Most quality brands have adoped responsible price controls. Shimano has been getting big heat and have hinted at trying to fix their system.
>>
>>1201009
Buying asain pacific markets if you are lucky. The grey market is real. Sram and shimano both have issued sercice bulletin warnings about counterfit parts and parts that got canned in quality control that somehow made it to market
>>
Shit is stupid.
I have bought 2 schwalbe durano tyres for less online via crc than I could get them via our wholesaler.
Pricing is fucked up or what?
>>
I like my LBS, the owner is good with banter and they've helped show me how to fix stuff on my bike a few times so I don't need to come in next time after I bought the tools, saved myself some decent money that way.

>"Hey, given my weight is there a class I could race in?"
>"Yes. Cars."

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.