[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 36550.jpg (93 KB, 600x600)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Americans...why do you have a phobia of roundabouts? It's not rocket science.
>>
This shit is a signal for the mothership to land isn’t it?
>>
File: 800px-Marlton_circle.jpg (100 KB, 800x600)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
lol, like a baby's toy
>>
>>1199341
But are they actually any good (to maximize traffic flow) or simply the only way to regulate zillion converging streets in small footprint?
>>
File: america_fuck_yeah.png (1.39 MB, 1037x634)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
Pussies.
>>
>>1199341
Try asking that at a time when Washington & the state capitals *aren’t* handing out funding dollars specifically to build roundabouts.
>>
>>1199341
we have those everywhere
>>
>>1199362
>are they actually any good (to maximize traffic flow)

Yes. There's plenty of studies out there that show that roundabouts are one of the most efficient methods to regulate the flow of traffic, all the way from Mythbusters on up.
>>
>>1199387
Post video
>>
The city recently put in a couple roundabouts here, and nobody knows how to use them, leading to some pretty close calls. I've seen someone get on on going the wrong way to turn left, and people turning right from the left lane of the two lane ones. I'd much rather just have a regular traffic light
>>
>>1199341
I live in North Carolina, which is rapidly expanding business and residential areas. They are using roundabouts instead of stop signs all over the place.

There's a few issues:

First is that Americans in general are not a people who can adapt to more efficient methods. Look at our healthcare system, look at our infrastructure, our uni system and so on. We're a terribly inefficient society. And I've noticed this talking to people. People actively complain about roundabouts. In reality, the roundabout is far more efficient.

Americans are distracted drivers. I would guess a majority of Americans drive distracted. Usually on their phones. Sometimes eating (plus they eat A LOT). The stop sign method allows a time for them to be on their phone and do other stuff other than pay attention. Roundabouts require more attention.

Americans speed. Americans zip around everywhere they go, completely ignorant of the damage their vehicle could cause. Accidents and crashes are absurdly common. The high speed nature of American driving makes roundabouts hard to navigate. If someone is flying in at 50mph, there's no way to safely enter the roundabout.

The only thing I personally don't like about roundabouts is they're unsafe for cyclists so it's annoying to cycle to work.
>>
>>1199424
https://www.wimp.com/mythbusters-four-way-stop-vs-roundabout/
>>
>>1199476
>If someone is flying in at 50mph, there's no way to safely enter the roundabout.
Circle down Route 70 has people entering at like 80mph
>>
File: Berlin-Grosser-Stern.jpg (156 KB, 1024x1001)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>1199341
>>1199349
These are completely autistic roundabouts only americans can come up with.

The one in pic related is in Berlin Germany and it is comparably large but easy to use. It even has traffic lights to manage the vast amount of traffic that goes through it every day.
Even cyclists can go around there pretty easy, allthough it takes ages for them to wait for the green light on every traffic light.
>>
Roundabouts are great.
Just tank up to them turn in and hang the back out round and round and round until you feel ill.
Brilliant.
>>
>>1199505
Traffic lights on roundabouts are EVIL.
Anyone who likes finding a traffic light on a roundabout should be sectioned.
>>
File: Roundabout.jpg (412 KB, 960x624)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>1199508
Despite the cars all going the wrong direction i corrected this picure to prevent people getting autistic spasms while looking at it.
Here's the corrected one:
>>
>>1199509
I don't like them either, but sometimes this roundabout is soo clogged with cars, lorries and busses that you would not be able to enter this roundabout without the traffic lights. Also, keep in mind that neither the Germans are a roundabout nation as for example france is.
But i agree. Normally i prefer roundabouts without any traffic lights involved.
>>
>>1199510
You can do it that way too.
You could also try the French way that has people entering the junction have priority over those on it.
That must be fun. :)
>>
>>1199513
>You could also try the French way that has people entering the junction have priority over those on it. That must be fun. :)
Either way, with the horrendous traffic density this place in Berlin sometimes has to deal with, the roundabout would be clogged anyway. No matter who gets priority, the ones being in the roundabout already or the ones entering it. It will be clogged no matter what. So they came up with the traffic lights to solve this problem and it worked ever since.
>>
Grandad went to Berlin. They were shut. ;)
>>
Fuck me they removed a roundabout near my uni and it takes ages to cross that intersection now. Fuckers could have first installed the traffic lights but no, now they're taking months to start them up.

This is a disgrace. I should not tolerate this.
>>
>>1199476
> First is that Americans in general are not a people who can adapt to more efficient methods

Personally I blame this mostly on the DMV. Their drivers ed curriculum is woefully inadequate and should, by law, teach all new drivers what things like roundabouts, diverging diamonds, SPUIs, etc. are and how to safely navigate them. This can be aided by public outreach, making it very simple: roundabout = good = less waiting at RED LIGHTS and everyone HATES red lights.

> The stop sign method allows a time for them to be on their phone and do other stuff other than pay attention

There is no engineering standard or traffic control device that should be designed to "allow" distraction. Also stop signs are crap, to most drivers they literally mean roll up to it then speed through. Traffic lights are where people look on their phone, not stop signs.

> Speed issues

If there are speeding issues, the engineers need to properly design the roundabout such that the entering angles or presence of speed tables properly slows down incoming vehicles. If you have a sharp, narrow entrance angle you'll slow down. Stick foliage, trees, etc. along the entrance and you'll go even slower. Couple that with a tight circle designed for max of 25 mph and things get pretty safe. The thing to drive home is that going slowly through a roundabout will still be faster than waiting at a light, hence it's okay if you design it so vehicles just meander through it at like 15-25mph.
>>
>>1199555
> teach all new drivers what things like roundabouts, diverging diamonds, SPUIs, etc. are and how to safely navigate them.
> diverging diamonds, SPUIs
Just teach drivers to follow the god damn light, signs, and markings.
>>
>>1199505
>>1199509
>>1199511
That's why they shouldn't be called roundabout, and judging by the entry angle / weaving area this is an older rotary / traffic circle type circular at-grade junction design.
Roundabout approach metering (like ramp meters) are fine.
>>
brugerlards wouldnt pass the driving tests anywhere else in the world
>>
>>1199555
>The thing to drive home is that going slowly through a roundabout will still be faster than waiting at a light
We Americans CANNOT get this through our heads.Look at bumper to bumper traffic; while I get into a position which allows me to drive 5-10mph, but consistently, all other lanes do the start and stop bullshit. Gotta go fast.
>>
>>1199465
>people are stupid
>let's pander to their insistence on continuing to remain stupid
Or how about the dumb cunts learn how to drive ?
>>
>>1199347
all-way stop is better.
>>
>>1199476
>americans are x/y/z
>goes to university
>can't afford to travel outside their nation bc debt
Can't tell if good or bad containment system.
>>
>>1199686
all way stops only exist in america for a very good reason
>>
>>1199560
Busy roundabouts and rotaries still need lights.

American roundabouts are still pleb tier and only handle light traffic. Look up pictures of the Hyde Park roundabout, people moan about it but it is the most efficient and aesthetic way to handle 4 arteries coming together in an affluent area without building ramps or flyovers.
>>
>>1199700
Unless it has more legs than a five-way, such a circular junction might warrant consideration of alternatives other than a signalized circular roadway.
A reluctance to grade separate roundabouts is a factor, but it is wise to say it like Magic Roundabout is simply a bunch intersections (or roundabouts) slapped together on a ring main line.
I still fail to see how a metered roundabout can't do the job.
Don't forget Hyde Park Corner has an underpass for the A4 road.
> most efficient and aesthetic way
Maybe at the point of junction, but I imagine other designs like Michigan Left (far-side median u-turn) would also satisfy the requirement, so is multiple roundabouts chained up.
>>
>>1199734
>>1199700
Additionally a N-S grade separation would have to cross over for a longer distance. It is a specific condition.
>>
>>1199700
> LORD WYNNE-JONES My Lords, would not the noble Lord agree that it would be highly desirable to have another tunnel as a way of escape for the Government?
https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1972/may/17/hyde-park-corner-underpass
I almost can't tell the satire in this.
>>
>>1199513
Stop fucking lying, those are never used anywhere even if they exist in theory
>>
>>1199766
Nah every somewhat relevant city in France has at least one of them. Probably so that driving instructors can have their fun with you.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yITr127KZtQ

Video strongly related.
>>
>>1199645
People will always be stupid. Even geniuses do stupid shit. If your infrastructure is too difficult for a stupid person then eventually someone stupid is going to do something stupid and that will cause a chain reaction of stupidity
>>
>>1199766
Priority adroit is fucking everywhere in France. It's like a curse they've retardedly inflicted on themselves. Even the fucking Arc de Triomphe is priority adroit.
>>
>>1199341
The roundabouts near me are fairly simple compared to the nonsense in this pic.
>>
>>1199505
OPs image is actually from Swindon, England it's called the magic roundabout
>>
>>1199555
>Their drivers ed curriculum is woefully inadequate
Yeah because 90% of the class is trying to ram it through 15 year olds' heads that the things they're about to drive are supposed to be taken seriously. And the driving instructors are under a lot of pressure from the parents and state to pass every kid through.

When I went to driver school, the kids in the class were butt itchers. They were getting like 50% on the driving tests. They didn't even take notes the entire time.

You'll never get this

>Their drivers ed curriculum is woefully inadequate and should, by law, teach all new drivers what things like roundabouts, diverging diamonds, SPUIs, etc. are and how to safely navigate them.

Because 15 year olds are fucking retarded

>If there are speeding issues, the engineers need to properly design the roundabout such that the entering angles or presence of speed tables properly slows down incoming vehicles.

Well where I am, that hasn't been done and drivers wouldn't care anyway. They take their cars 50mph around the circle on a road that's 35mph to begin with.

> If you have a sharp, narrow entrance angle you'll slow down
>Stick foliage, trees, etc. along the entrance and you'll go even slower.

Oh that hasn't happened at all. Its' a clear, head on entrance
>>
>>1199510
I am part of the 33% that runs on left hand traffic and I am now having autistic spasms because it was the right way around in the first image.
>>
Roundabouts are statist cancer

t. European
>>
>>1199857
Never saw there anywhere where I live
>>1200128
It's right-side not "adroit"
Yes it's the default configuration for intersections between same size roads, but in 9 times out of 10 you have one priority road and a secondary road, so it doesn't apply
And there is no rules on l'arc de triomphe, it's Parisian madness
>>
>>1200283
Meanwhile light crosses are pure concentrated cancer, that breeds extremely aggressive behavior.
To even cross a lot of them, you need to be 100% fender chasing, otherwiswe you end up bottlencking at the light switching.
>>
>>1199341
All you do is cause traffic somewhere else to pull up.
Also only retards and boomers struggle with this concept.
>>
>>1200283
Can someone explain the statist meme?
And no, waiting at a traffic light is much worse than yielding. Unless you are proposing intersections without traffic lights, which you aren't, right?
>>
>>1200540
>intersections without traffic lights
for low traffic roads there's really no need to stop, 4 way yields would make perfect sense
>>
>>1199505
>Stopping rotary traffic
Not a roundabout
>>
>>1200283
>a light relling you what to do is not statist
>>
File: lofthouseic.jpg (36 KB, 402x306)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
100+ mph through this is, quite groovy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.