[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: C-nuz6VV0AAcz3F.jpg (92 KB, 1200x628)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
what is proper bike etiquette for passing slower riders who are all kitted up in lycra and racing bikes?

I live in an area that has a lot of race bikers and they never wave back when I pass them on my 30 pound monstercross bike. I have something called Primary Familial and Congenital Polycythemia which is a genetic disorder tha gives me retardedly high red blood cell count so its really easy for me to just fly by all these guys.

Is there some kind of special hand wave? I say "hi, nice day for a ride" without any labored breath as I pass them and see them huffing and wheezing. Are they just out of breath and thats why they don't say hi back?
>>
Consider entering professional cycling with a rare condition like that.
No joke.
>>
>>1199486
>he has build in EPO
Why the fuck don't you join a pro team?
You could do what Lance did, just without taking EPO.
>>
>>1199495
because I don't like fighting with people
>>
It's hard to say something back to someone who's passing you, since you're both moving away from them and giving them your back.
Just don't say anything. Passing with enough room and not cutting in front of them right away is all you need to do.
>>
>>1199497
Pro cycling isn't MMA tho?
>>
>>1199497
Dude fucking do road races, You'll be farting in Froome's face in like 2 years
>>
>>1199497
Then do a single breakaway.
If you realy have shitloada of red bloodcells, you can break away at the first climb.
>>
I don't want to have greet every stranger I meet. Just because you're on a bike doesn't make you member of some super secret club.

For off road trails it's a bit different. There you have to share narrow spaces with others and it's more important to show each other (and the trail itself for that matter) respect. But fuck having to great every fucker on the road.
>>
>>1199507
>>1199501
>>1199500
that sounds too mean and confrontational
I just like biking 200 miles a day or so to camp somewhere and bike back
>>
I'd pass your frail body at 30mph
>>
Dude join the special olympics race team...NAU !!!
>>
>>1199494
Next team sky's secret weapon.
>>
>>1199515
How's this for mean and confrontational: stop being a faggot. You can be an absolute racing weapon with this shit; the average Fred, hell the average pro rider would kill for that kind of advantage. You can do time trials at least if you're not willing to ride in groups

Not just bike racing either. Any kind of athletic pursuit that requires high blood cell count, long distance running etc.

You could be rich and famous, if this isn't just a LARP.
>>
>>1199572
its obvious larp
>>
>>1199486
>Primary Familial and Congenital Polycythemia
So you are one of 116 people in the world with this disorder?
>>
>>1199579
>>1199580

One or two non-idiots on 4chan's /n/.

>https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK395975/

>Primary familial congenital polycythemia (PFCP) ... has been reported in 116 individuals from 24 families

And contrary to them being super athletes they are fragile and sick:

>The proband, who had extensive coronary artery disease and arterial hypertension, died at age 58 years from hemorrhagic stroke.

>Another family member had hypertension and a myocardial infarction at age 40 years.

>The father of a young girl (who initially appeared to be unaffected) had arterial hypertension beginning at age 20 years and one episode of deep vein thrombosis; as a young girl his daughter had a normal blood count but EPO hypersensitivity in erythroid precursor cells (similar to that observed in the 3 other affected family members).
>>
File: 72298.jpg (1.59 MB, 2048x1466)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>wins all the races with 70 hematocrit
heh, nothing personal kid
>>
>>1199613
>One or two non-idiots on 4chan's /n/.
I like how it didn't didn't give a high enough number to count itself as a non-idiot.
>>
>>1199620

Look it is the trolling OP who pretends he has an ultra-rare disease that leads to health fragility! But he is cosplaying like it is the cycling equivalent of a genetic unfair advantage...
>>
>>1199486 (OP)
Who cares? Just pass them and keep riding. I have bradycardia with a resting rate in the 50s and a high volume per stroke. When I push myself, breath properly, and get my bpm to 160+, I drop fully kitted Freds easy but I'm not gonna be a cunt and say something snarky as I pass them. We're all just doing our thing. They're training, I'm training, does it matter?

Physiology is only half the battle. Mentality is the other half and just as, if not more than, important.
>>
>>1199630
My ftp is 9 w/kg
>>
i wish i had more blood. instead im home sleep and eating ice
>>
My only absurdity is a high maxim heartrate.
Most people reach 180 bpm at their limit, I can sustain that.
My limit is 215.
Resting heart rate is about 45.
>>
You pull directly in front of them and fart.

No but seriously the proper etiquette is to pretend as if they were never there at all and keep pedaling.
>>
File: ftp-table.png (33 KB, 700x900)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>1199641
Lying on a Mongolian cinematics forum doesn't increase your ftp irl anon
>>
>>1199515
p sure your condition is really Congenital Total Faggotosis
>>
>>1199616
Where to cop that hat?
>>
>>1199486
Just ride your bike, kid, don't over-think everything, and stop posting lies about yourself.
>>
>>1199500
big if true
>>
>>1199616
Eero Mäntyranta!
Cant find what his blood values were but I recall somwhere above 200g/l.
I have about 120, life is not fair.
>>
>>1200263
Bjarne Riis was 7w/kg rider at 60 hematocrit, Mantyranta had 65-70 Hematocrit, he'd probably be like 8-8.5 w/kg
>>
Most racers ride at low intensity so they can build up their aerobic capacity and are easy to pass if you only ride occasionally, and most people who ride expensive bikes in lycra are not racers but really just old guys who like to pretend they're fit while having a midlife crisis. Most also close pass other cyclists, so please push them over cliffs at every given opportunity.
>>
>>1200263
>Eero Mäntyranta!

He was also the first Finnish athlete to be caught doping.

>https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/obituaries/2013/12/31/eero-mantyranta-failed-drug-test-after-winning-gold/hscil2uSL47V37o2M8iuPM/story.html

>Kulmala said Mr. Mantyranta remained a popular figure despite testing positive for amphetamines in 1972, because doping was not seen as a big deal at the time. Later, Mr. Mantyranta admitted to taking hormones to advance his skiing, although they were not illegal at the time.
>>
File: Lovehurts&sodoesart.png (960 KB, 1280x976)
960 KB
960 KB PNG
>>1199486
>what is proper bike etiquette for passing slower riders who are all kitted up in lycra and racing bikes?
Something many riders don't understand is that really getting good involves riding at varying intensity. That means you ride slowly often, not just when you're tired.

They're not necessarily slow because they're going slowly.

When a casual passes me I don't even think about them.
>>
File: 1408597591141 - Copy.jpg (460 KB, 960x639)
460 KB
460 KB JPG
There seems to be some confusion in this thread and so I'm going to take a moment to clear things up.

Proper etiquette for passing anyone is as follows;

1. Keep a comfortable distance behind your target until you are nearly at a stopsign or stoplight on your planned route. Close enough to block a bit of wind for you, but far enough to give yourself some space to accelerate when the time comes

2. If they reduce speed or show any signs of looking around to assess the situation, immediately accelerate as quickly as possible

3. It is of UTMOST importance that your target does not see you putting in any effort. If you've done it correctly, you should be able to coast past them at something close to your all-out maximum sprint speed.

Some people prefer to let loud hubs make clear to their prey that, YES I AM COASTING FASTER THAN YOU CAN EVEN RIDE. Others prefer ninja hubs to accentuate the effortlessness with which they destroyed their target. Those with a sense of irony might employ a bell to ding as they pass.

My personal record is coasting past an entire peloton of ~30 in this manner, including the lead group. See if you can do better.

Remember that tallies only count if you also complete a longer and faster ride than those you pass.
>>
>>1200707
This is why I had to give up cat6 racing. I realized that if I want to do my long rides fast I got to ease my commutes. I ride with heart rate monitor now and occasionally do climbing sprints during commutes. Also weekly high intensity xc-rides. I'm steadily improving my personal records and overall I feel better than before.

>>1200718
Point 3 is the most important indeed.
>>
>>1200718

Other things to keep in mind;

*if they are carrying more cargo than you, the pass doesn't count.
**if you set a PR on the relevant segment, the pass is disqualified.
>>
>>1200734
what about if you whip out your dick and whirl it around while you pass
>>
oh and i'm talking lasso around t he head dick whippin not slapping it against your upper thigh or some gays hit lolll
>>
>>1199497
Join a team or I will personally murder you.
>>
This has been a pretty amusing LARP thread, all in all. Thanking all participants.
>>
>>1199486
I just blow by them like everybody else. I just assume that they've got some music device in their ears like everybody else and don't bother warning them.

>>1199682
That's not a good thing...
>>
>>1199682
you must be tiny

small people have higher heart rates
someone who is 130-140 pounds 5'7"-5'9" usually top out at like 190-200 bpm
160-180 lbs 6" ish usually top out at like 165-170
>>
>>1200943
it's not over yet you gotta keep with us to the finish line you poosee
>>
>>1200959
u got any facts or reasoning to back up that broscience with?
>>
>>1200718
you can also pass working hard but you need a considerable speed differential and you have to keep it up until you are out of sight so it looks like you keep that effort up all the way
>>
>>1201077
Mouse heart best fest elephant beat slow
>>
>>1201125
Dunno bro but I just speed up a bit to get past them, and then continue at my own pace. The whole process of deciding to overtake is after realising that your pace is higher.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.