[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: musk.jpg (23 KB, 455x459)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Has won bid to build high speed rail to O'Hare airport.
>>
Are they going to build the vaccum pods or a train?
>>
>>1201167
Train.
>>
>>1201167
>by utilizing electric vehicles that run through new twin underground tunnels.
>>
>Each vehicle will carry up to 16 passengers, plus their luggage, and will depart from O’Hare and from Block 37 as frequently as every 30 seconds. The Boring Company plans to charge fares below the [request for proposals] requirement that this premium service should cost less than current taxi and ride-share services. The company plans to utilize the unfinished underground transit station at Block 37 and create a new station at O’Hare. The planned route travels straight northwest from downtown following public way alignments. The specific alignment will be finalized during contract negotiation
>>
wtf, I love Elon now.
>>
>>1201177
WTF is this shit. Minibus Rapid Transit? And then put it underground? That's literally all the disadvantage of Pre-metro and BRT and PRT combined together
>>
>>1201179
and all of the advantages of underground minibus rapid transit as well
>>
>>1201260
What advantage?
>>
>>1201265
underground so no impact from weather. Can't crash into anything. 100+mph speed. low yearly cost after everything is put in
>>
File: booo0r9[1].png (10 KB, 185x146)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
So it's a simple PBRT pod, that has a grand total of two terminus stations, will run for $20-25 dollars for a 12 min trip, apparently half that of a cab.

It will have a simple guidance system, based on four external horizontal wheels that track a physical concrete barrier.

Two narrow uni directional tunnels, apparently they will have the capacity of a freeway (2000 trips a day?) So basically a grade separated, snow-free, underground BRT track?

For an airport run... eh, fits the bill. But I wonder how this can be upgraded to a multi-station setup. Those require intelligence in

----

The reason he's not asking for government money is because I think he's using it for his "training setup".

IIRC, he will be relying on Tesla to provide batteries not only for the bods (and maybe build the pods? much simple and no one gives a damn about panel gaps on a bus) but also for the smaller TBMs and muck carts.

And since he'll sell the literally tunnel dirt as "lego" I guess that alone will recuperate the costs?
>>
>>1201269
the dirt bricks is just a fun way to get rid of the stuff they're carting out of the tunnels. the funny thing is, 10¢ per giant dirt brick is cheaper than current lego brick
>>
>>1201269
So that's at least a guided busway for minibus?
>>
>>1201270
Exactly, the point is, seeing as how he managed to sell a basic propane blow torch for $500 by putting it in a fancy gun case... I bet you he will have a literally stampede for his tunnel dirt.
>>
>>1201271

TLDR... yeah that's what he's selling, a snow-free, traffic-free bus.
>>
>>1201269
At least each vehicle seems larger than PRT pods although I can't see the guided part here. The black line beneath the car?
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/17462496/elon-musk-boring-company-approved-tunnel-chicago
And If I see the video correctly, it seems like the video also include other cars that are not minibus?
>>
>>1201277
I'm getting the info from the ChiTrib

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-ohare-high-speed-transit-elon-musk-boring-company-20180613-story.html

The video is just marketing, back when he had little idea WHAT to do with his brainwave. He's long since mothballed the car-pod scheme.
>>
>>1201282
https://twitter.com/BillRuthhart/status/1007090113334120454
>>
>>1201288
summed up:
>Boring Co would pay for everything, including a new O'Hare station
>Loop to O'Hare in 12 minutes
>$20-25 per ride
>Less than $1B for the project
>Boring Co gets to keep 100% of revenues generated by the system
>2000 people per hour per direction throughput
>>
>>1201290
https://www.boringcompany.com/chicago/

They are based on the Tesla Model X design.
>>
>>1201290
>2000 people per hour per direction
That's like what, about as much passengers as four A380? Do they know how many planes take off/land at ORD every hours?
>>
>>1201303
it'll supplement the blue line and Ubers, for sure. I think the idea is that you can gradually add more tunnels, and more sleds per minute leaving the stations
>>
from press conf:
>will start drilling in 3-4 months
>both station side and airport side simultaneously
>3+ years to complete
>>
Finally some real public transport. Fuck buses and trains and literally everything above ground, tunnels are the future.
>>
>>1201303
Surely the design is only constrained by the amount of skates right? They could be more or less bumper to bumper the whole round trip, which would be way more than 2k/hr
>>
>>1201389
partly the reason for the small throughput is that the terms for the bid had a spec for volume it had to meet
>>
https://mobile.twitter.com/boringcompany/status/1007325971689758720

Here is a clip of how the guide wheels will work
>>
>>1201389
Not really, no matter what sort of control system they put in those are still cars running at 200km/h and distances would be needed between them so that when the one before suffer from things like malfunction and stopped, the one after won't crash into it
>>
>>1201489
Block signal system like us trains use. Backed up by some sort of range finder that applies brakes when it seems smething too close.
>>
>>1201269
>$20-25 dollars for a 12 min trip
Not worth it
>>
>>1201514
cheaper than an uber or taxi, and much quicker
>>
>>1201351
>public
It is not
>>
>>1201509
Depending on the braking distance then the same thing will occur as does with subways, you hit the block limit where the trains are now running as close as possible to each other and then the line is at capacity. If there is a lot of demand it'd probably be better to just run slower but longer consists, moving more people per hour.
>>
>>1201788
Public Transport means available to the public, not funded by the public. Airlines are public transport.
>>
>>1201351
>Tunnels are the future
>>
>>1202449
>>1201389
I guess they can easily upgrade those vehicles to regular coach size and carry about 54 people without reducing the headway by a lot. Then they probably would want to dig another tunnel to another part of the city to alleviate the traffic. And then further expansion and connection to form a basic network. Then allow autonomous car installed with compatible signaling system to join the less busy part of the system, and since the signaling system is same and all autonomous it won't cause any problems. And then those autonomous car owners will petition for building new underground roads parallel to existing busy bus only roads and would accept it even if they have to pay to use. Then the entire traffic system would be separated into two layers: The at-grade network driven by human at slow speed with congestion, and the underground congestion-free bus and autonomous car network that send people from destination to destination at high speed. By then, other than hobbyist most people and most traffic would switch to these underground tunnels inside city center and street will be turned back to for pedestrian use.
>>
>>1201269
So basically it's fucking perfect. Thank you based Elon.
>>
>>1202624
Elon "I don’t have much trouble raising money" Musk
>>
>>1201351
> Trains don't go underground, buses don't go into tunnels
>>
>>1201395
Hi guided bus-turned-car.
>>
>>1202449
> run slower but longer consists
You can reduce line speed first before fiddling around with rolling stock.
>>
>>1201271
>>1201276
Yes in a niche airport people mover role basically.

>>1201269
> So basically a grade separated, snow-free, underground BRT track?
It's akin to doing what BRT has done to guided busways, to PRT.
>>
>companies already basically funded by public money bid on gov contracts
>>
>>1201177
>personal rapid transit
This will crash and burn
>>
>>1201179
Personal Rapid Transit
Its been idea for ages
Never implemented, because the retarded design requires tracks and routes EVERYWHERE for their pods
Its the one type of public transit the lolbertarians will accept
>>
>>1201260
What is the advantage of building expensive infrastructure to carry a tiny amount of people?
>>
>>1203335
that was the requirement of the bid, from Chicago. sub 20 min travel time, cost under $30 or thereabouts, and a cap of 20k people per day capacity cap
>>
>>1201163
How is this a good idea when the blue line is already relatively quick from o'hare to downtown in about 40min? Not only that but the blue line also has higher capacity. The real bottleneck here is not transportation to and from O'Hare but O'Hare itself. That airport can be a shitshow sometimes. This whole thing will only make sense if they eventually extend it to Midway. Even though Midway sees less flights compared to O'Hare, it would be quite the feat to get from O'Hare to Midway in half an hour.
>>
>>1201335
so 10 years then
>>
>>1203334
it's because they haven't discovered the breakthrough which is to install a toilet in each pod, make them powered by human waste. Also you live in it, and there are no tracks.
>>
Maybe this will finally expose Musk as the snakeoil salesman he is. Probably not, but I can hope. I'm just sick and fucking tired of hearing about this arrogant cock sucker that has never delivered on a single promise.
>>
>>1203378
Why would anyone need to do that? Midway is all Southwest. O'Hare is everything else, including a huge hub for regional spoke flights.
>>
>>1203333
quads of truth

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.