[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 15 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: flat_bicycle_tire.jpg (73 KB, 640x425)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
fixed a flat in 3minutes 18seconds today

whats your record?
>>
>>1201210
don't have flats cause i ride solid
>>
>>1201217
I save water by shitting my pants
>>
3 minutes and 1 seconds
>>
>>1201210
I only get flats when I neglect to bring a tube/repair kit with me
>>
>>1201210
Well you did it the Fred way with Co2 then and since co2 isn't stable in a bike tire and leaks fast, congratulations you will just have to repump the tire anyway in the next few days. Of course that time seem unbelievable in general for a fixing a flat on the road.

See:
>http://www.exploringoverland.com/overland-tech-travel/2016/3/25/3izopxom72k7p3vxpvjtfuhk7ouscc

>Some years ago racing bicyclists began carrying tire-repair kits that used common miniature CO2 cartridges to refill a patched tube in seconds, saving the time otherwise wasted using a manual pump. The kits subsequently became popular among recreational cyclists who weren’t necessarily in a hurry, but simply couldn’t stand not having the latest high-performance gear, or felt that the drudgery of working a manual pump was simply . . . hell.

>Soon, however, riders began noticing something: The tires they filled with CO2 seemed to lose pressure much more rapidly than when filled with air. Some claimed a tire filled to 90 psi with CO2 would be down to 40 in a few days.

>... A CO2 molecule is larger than either a nitrogen molecule or an oxygen molecule, which together comprise 99 percent of air. How could CO2 leak out faster? ...

>Finally a few people familiar with chemistry looked for an explanation, beginning with the properties of gas permeation by diffusion. All gasses exhibit a permeation rate through butyl rubber—the material used in most bicycle tires—proportional to the inverse of the square root of their molecular weights. Using this formula, you can show that the rate of permeation of CO2 through a butyl tube compared to air should be . . . uh, well, lower. Hmm . . .

>Finally someone got it. The answer has nothing to do with molecular weight, although it is still a chemical phenomenon. It turns out that CO2 is actually soluble in butyl rubber—it essentially melts right through the material without having to wait for permeation.
>>
>>1201228
tripfag fuck off
>>
>>1201228
I'll rather fill my tire with co2 instantly on the road and then empty and refill it again with air once I get back home with a proper track pump. I don't know about you but pumping tires with a mini pump at the side of the road isn't one of my favourite activities.
>>
>>1201228
not sure what you’re snorting, but cartridges exist so you can get home, without carrying a ridiculous frame pump. you don’t use them for routine top-ups, they are the counterpart to a patch kit or spare tube
>>
>>1201228
I carry co2 because if I get a flat I don't want to be late for work. I'll pump it up when I get home. Not really an issue
>>
>>1201274
it’s funny because the tripfag thinks everyone here is a weekend strava roadie, the only kind of cyclist they have in suburban NJ
>>
>>1201210

I've never had a flat in my life.
>>
>>1201228

Kill yourself tripfag
>>
>>1201320
this

the solid tires master race laughs at your pathetic existence
>>
File: 31mm.jpg (26 KB, 420x300)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1201210

I took the carbs off my EX250 in under 10 minutes one time.

Unbeknownst to me at the time I had a leaky gas cap so I got a lot of practice.
>>
>>1201323
>t. fatty
>>
>>1201328
I need 2 minutes on my S51.
>>
120 seconds once, but i also work at a LBS and have a bike stand to clamp the bike into.. Thats from starting in the frame, and ending with it back in the frame ready to ride.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.