[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 49 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

ITT: The most painful saddle you've ever had

Literally fuck everyone who told me this was going to be comfortable and that it just needed "break-in".
>>
File: slr_tm_flow-2.jpg (79 KB, 1200x1000)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>doing a naked bike ride with 10000 people
>have to brake suddenly
>shift weight back
>pic related slides up me bum
>>
lmao im pretty sure everyone told you that saddle are personal and don't all work for different people.
>>
>>1209393
Post pic of your broken in but still uncomfortable Brooks.
>>
Brooks saddles don't need to be broken in to be comfortable, they just need to be in the correct position down to the millimeter. That's the hard part.
>>
Literally any soft "comfort saddle"
>>
File: IMG_20180704_202224.jpg (200 KB, 640x480)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
Bontrager SSR, it's probably a fine saddle, just completely the wrong shape for my ass, but I've never really shopped for a saddle, just ridden whatever came on the bike and am/was usually fine except for this one
>>
>>1209396
Just got hard thinking about it
>>
eat my asshole, selle italia q-bik.

The acual sit area around the cutout on the front part is so unbelieveably tiny it is like you are perching your weight on two pieces of half inch rebar.
>>
>>1209393
Been riding a B17 for 8 years, for about 50.000 kilometers mileage in total. I've done month-long trips with this badboy. It's a stellar saddle.
>>
Fizik aliante vs evo. Both the most comfy and uncomfy tho. No issue at all when you wear bibs but dear god if you don't
>>
File: Brooks-Cambium-C17-carved.jpg (417 KB, 1600x1064)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
>no break-in period
>comfortable out of the box
My Ass, hard as rock. It might be that I'm too light for this to have any give but this is supposed to have more give than a sprung saddle but it's not the case.
>>
>>1209465
I think many reviews said that was a bad saddle, many claiming the quality was poor and the saddle brokes after 5k miles.
>>
The fizik aerione. It felt like it was made for an effeminate Italian man with narrow hips
>>
>>1209465
>this is supposed to have more give than a sprung saddle
no its not lol
>>
>>1209393
i'm always amused by people who can't get comfortable on B17.

>>1209465
fuck these. i wanted to like it so badly, but nah.
>>
Selle Royal Seta S1, saddle sore city on that thing. It looked similar enough to an Arione to be fine since that’s what I had been riding on previously, but swapping it out for one made everything better.
>>
This piece of shit
>>
this was the only saddle I found particularly uncomfortable (would always make my dick numb)
I also have a Specialized Romin that is not very comfortable, its really hard, but not sure what makes it unformfortable because I have a cheap chinese carbon saddle that is completely bare (and weighs like 1 oz) and it is really comfortable

Fav saddle is Selle SLR
>>
File: 51zzserjm8L._SL1102_.jpg (37 KB, 1102x554)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1209486

forgot pic
>>
>>1209487
I think Ariones are made for pretty narrow sit bones, of the few saddles I’ve tried it’s the only one that doesn’t rub a raw spot on my left cheek a few inches out from my butthole. If your sit bones are wide at all it probably smashes all of your tissue before making contact with bone
>>
>>1209465
I'm perfectly happy on a rock hard Brooks Pro, but could never get used to a C17 and sold it.
>>
>>1209393
dude just ride it in the rain or soak it for an hour and then go ride. it WILL form to your sit bones.
>>
>>1209433
We all know that's not gonna happen
>>
>>1209393
>thinking that all saddles are applicable for all people regardless of their height, weight, and *shape*
>thinking that you just bolt on any saddle and don't bother getting it, and the rest of the bike, adjusted correctly for you personally, then expecting it to be 'comfy'
You have a lot to learn about bikes, OP, and have zero room to be criticizing anything until you do.

..and no, I don't have a Brooks, totally inappropriate for the kind of riding I do.
Pic related is the saddle, after more than 10 years of riding, someone finally turned me on to, and it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever owned because it's the right *shape* for me (I have hugely muscular thighs, thicker than the average rider).

>>1209507
That will ruin a Brooks, it's leather and you get it all soaking wet like that, it'll then dry out and be ruined. You use Neetsfoot Oil on it to soften it up during the break-in period. I don't own one but I did research them back in the day.
>>
File: IMG_20180615.jpg (141 KB, 1010x871)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>1209450
>selle italia q-bik
mine used to be unbearably uncomfortable until I dialed it in but it's still pretty bad. Better than my stock saddle at least which felt like sand paper and spikes.

>>1209485
welp, I bit the charge spoon meme and have one incoming to replace my selle q-bik.

the quest for finding THE saddle never ends
>>
File: KIMG0164.jpg (1.82 MB, 4160x2340)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>1209485
This is on my mtb, haven't cared enough to replace.

Regal-e on left and older regal on right.
>>
>>1209583
>the quest for finding THE saddle never end
Have you heard about our lord and saviour ISM?
>>
>>1209485
I thought the same thing until I took an hour to dial in the fit last weekend, now it’s as comfortable as I can get with road bike posture.
>>
File: Serfas.jpg (187 KB, 1536x1152)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
This Serfas saddle - it's a nice light saddle (210g) but the shape and the cutout make it a medieval torture implement that doesn't suit my bum and chafes my thighs too. I've tried it on several bikes but there's no way it's ever going to work for me, so it's just sitting in my garage.

I will mail this saddle to anyone who wants it. I also have a Fizik Donna (ladies' Arione) free to a good home.
>>
File: ism-adamo.jpg (42 KB, 820x540)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1209609
looks like a funky new age sex toy
>>
File: 1530470734687.png (259 KB, 1000x861)
259 KB
259 KB PNG
>>1209433
>I t-tried a books seriously it sucks!
>100 yo cracked b66s.jpg
>>
File: $_86.jpg (170 KB, 1024x768)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>1209487
I honestly loved this saddle compared to my old selle italia, the wideness of the saddle really made it comfortable, although even my torn up selle san marco is probably my favourite saddle I've ever ridden.

Pic related has done nothing but give me rashes on rides longer than 1 hour.
>>
>>1209518
>That will ruin a Brooks
not really. i have a b17 that i waterlogged and rode until it broke in, then i treated it with lanolin and beeswax until it was prefecto. wetting it just speeds the process dramatically and won't fuck it out provided you dry it and treat it with wax afterwards.
>>
I did a six month tour on a b17, left it outside in the rain often, rode it wet often, never oiled it, it broke in great

they're not as dainty as people meme them to be
>>
>>1209656
post more of these, they are funny as hell
>>
File: Boomer USA.png (718 KB, 1920x1080)
718 KB
718 KB PNG
>>1209872
https://youtu.be/i9r_nMzdTu4
https://youtu.be/PaEFYHtXXkQ
https://youtu.be/fiDRaYDU7uw
https://youtu.be/1k8yJ1igc5k
>>
>>1209883
fuck yeah
>>
Anyone have an opinion on this? It’s the tribe version but I feel like there are a lot of similar makes. Is the leather comfy? Does it go to shit if in the sun for to long?
>>
>>1209393
>I did it wrong and now I'm mad at everyone who told me how to do it right.
>>
>>1210653
>Is the leather comfy?
Not out of the box, but when it breaks in it gets softer and molds to the shape of your bum. Ever own a pair of thick leather shoes or boots you had to break in? It's the same concept.

>Does it go to shit if in the sun for to long?
No. Leaving it uncovered in the rain will kill it real quick though.

A couple of things to note about the B67 specifically: Firstly the get real squeaky over time, so you have to lube any place where metal is touching metal with something like Triflow occasionally. Second, the nuts the hold spring assembly together loosen over time and often fall off - you can fix this by replacing them with nylanuts or by applying Locktite to the stock ones.
>>
its the gay conspiracy wanting to break into your ass
>>
File: 6b5.jpg (39 KB, 600x404)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>1210675
>>
>>1210675
EPIC
>>
>>1209434
This
Mine was comfortable from day one once I had it set up correctly. As it broke in I had to make minor adjustments, and now I don't even think about it.
>>
>>1209656
What's the pink thing
>>
I'm eyeing up one of these

http://road.cc/content/review/115982-brooks-cambium-c17-saddle

I'm eyeing up one of these. Brooks architecture but apparently much more resilient to the elements.

However I do like to use tri bars for long tours and I've found it hard to get my saddle so it's suitable for on-hoods riding and on the tri bars.
>>
>>1212426
don't cambium unless you're a masochist that enjoys medieval torture devices
>>
>Super comfy until you hit literally anything
>feels like the saddle is ramming my prostate in a bad way
>>
>>1212485
uhhh, so it's entirely carbon fibre? no cushion?
>>
>>1212493
yes.
>>
>>1212426
those are the worst saddles that you can buy. brooks in general is a shitty fucking meme, get a modern goddamn saddle.
>>
>>1212426
C17 is built for a single upright riding position, any slight deviance from that is ass hatchet territory
>>
I don't like how saddles punish aggressive riding positions for the most part. Like seriously that's my position whenever I'm not going uphill.
>>
>>1212530
bend, don’t roll
>>
>>1212530
I S M
S
M
>>
>>1212485
Whaaaat? Selle Italia made a flite carbon? Definitely need to find one of these, this is my favorite saddle.
>>
>>1212563
I have one I can list on eBay if you’re interested
>>
>>1212450
>>1212526
It was good enough for Sean Conway's cross Europe record and he did it on aero bars and drops.
>>
>>1212603
Good advice for Sean Conway
>>
>>1210653

not that it matters for the commuter class of cyclists, but leather saddles as well as the canvas of the b17 will tear through your lycra
>>
Selle italias are pretty good, i hear very good things about san marco and I'm undecided on SMP as i haven't broken mine in yet.

My advice with the brooks would be to loosen the front tension screw until the saddle conforms a bit better, then slater it with leather conditioner/oil and take a heat gun or hair dryer to the underside until you feel the heat coming through to the top of the leather, then you should immediately ride on it for a little while.
You might have to repeat this with different tension settings (tight as you can tolerate is better) to get it the way you want it, but it's way quicker than trying to wear in a dense foam saddle.
>>
>>1212848
>how to take 10k miles off your Brooks in 20 minutes
>>
if you get saddle sores, rub some deodorant on your chamois.
>>
>>1212864
The painful 10k miles
>>
>>1212413
finger of the guy taking the pic
>>
>>1212870
this sounds like a really bad idea.
>>
>>1212871
What if i told you that a saddle that takes 10k miles to be comfortable is a very bad saddle
>>
>>1209393
>>1209433
>>1209434
Brooks saddles get more uncomfortable with time past the brief initial break-in period, sorta like soft mattresses. All the parts you put weight on will bend out of the way and the extra material will push up on uncomfortable parts of your body.
>>
>>1210671
>thick leather shoes or boots
modern shoes/boots are more comfortable than fashionable leather shoes or boots
>>
File: 61W6r0oH6KL._SX355_.jpg (6 KB, 355x321)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
flite
>>
>>1215504
oops. thread is about shit saddles not good saddles. disregard
>>
I always assumed there's no such thing as a comfy saddle because god knows I've never found one.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.