[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 160307_134413_8997_GPR5.jpg (269 KB, 1100x733)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
Does anyone on this board use Campagnolo at all? Aside from Italyboo meme brands, no one uses their entry level groupsets, hell even Sram's entry level groupsets are used more often than Campy. Is the brand so stuck up that they don't even consider marketing their entry-level groupsets out of fear of devaluing their brand?
>>
based campagnolo does not care about amerisharts
>>
There are a fair number of people on /n/ running Campy gruppos if you follow the PYBT threads. My own feeling is that the only thing special about Campy are their shifters (ergonomics, ability to shift multiple gears in both directions), so personally I run 'Shimergo' setups that combine the shifting I like with more reasonably priced parts from Shimano.
>>
>>1211863
That pic angle makes it look like an incredibly short wheelbase. Looks like I'd get my toes caught up in the front wheel constantly.
>>
>>1211864

Apparently this, I've heard they give horrible service to American resellers which is why Canyon for example does not have models with Campa groupsets in the States.

I had early 11 speed Super Record on my previous bike, it was amazingly bling and lightweight with the carbon everything, but didn't honestly perform all that well - switched to a brand new bike with Dura-Ace 9000 after that and the D-A works million times better - needed to be adjusted once after riding a bit and after that it's just worked, meanwhile SR had to be adjusted all the time for the indexing to function properly. I do like very much how the front derailleur works on Campa, five clear steps instead of the trim on Shimano.

Also had a bike with 8 speed Veloce earlier, it was very good considering the age and low groupset tier and it was nice that 8 speed spare parts were still available.
>>
>>1211863
I have 10sp Veloce on my alu roadie. I absolutely love the hood shape, mech action is OK, crankset has been a PITA though, too many proprietary parts (BB cups, that lockring thingie, having to buy bearings separatedly, huge hex bolt to tighten the cranks that you won't ever need for anything else).
That's what I get for not buying the whole groupset in one go I guess
>>
>>1211863
Because it poop
>>
>>1211890

Yeah that powetorque stuff is stupid, as is the need for the $100++ special tool to use their chains. Luckily KMC chains work fine too.
>>
File: IMG_20180710_122628.jpg (2.69 MB, 4032x3024)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
I have pic related on my gravel bike. Everything else is Shimano tho and the only reason I got it is that it had the largest cheap triple range available on a crankset that I could find at the time.
>>
>>1211876
My Chorus has kept the indexing perfect for the last ~5000 km.
>>
>>1211914
>double sided shimano spds on campy cranks with a shimano 105 f-d (non braze on) with a retro steelie frame running panaracer gravel gumwalls.

noice. look at this man's bike noobs. This is how you do it. When you break something you replace it with the best fitting part for the money regardless of brand.
>>
>>1211914

that's a dirty fucking bike, I like it
>>
File: IMG_20180528_164307.jpg (2.09 MB, 3075x2138)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>1211929
Chorus is the shining jewel of the campy racing gruppos. Ultrashift, great ergonomics, looks, lovely tactile feel and light, durable components (stupid carbon record derailleur cages break with alarming ease). In fact even if I was silly enough to buy record or above I'd only ever replace anything with chorus..
Too bad they seem to want to phase it out for potenza, a mediocre ultegra-like
>>
>>1212004
How are the different groupsets tiered?
>>
>>1212008

super record > record > chorus > potenza > centaur
>>
>>1212004
It seems that they're going to keep it. The question is if they will trickle 12sp down anytime soon (and offer 12sp cassette choices for people who don't need 11), or if they'll whack Centaur and then give Potenza Ultrashift, making their linup nice and simple again.
>>1211900
Powertorque is gone, and Park sells a chain tool with the peening anvil for like $40. Campy chains are really good, so I'd stick with them.
>>1211876
The problem is that people buy shit on Wiggle and PBK and then expect CampyUSA to give them warranty service, only to get told to fuck off. Sometimes parts availability is, uh, iffy. It's why it's best to go thru a Campy certified shop. They know which rings to kiss.

They are trying to get on more OEM bikes. Cannondale is going to put Record and Super Record on the CAAD12, Evo, and Synapse. They just don't want to go downmarket and start showing up on BikesDirect shit.

Where things get really shitty is SEA. Campy just completely let that market go despite the potential for growth. It's probably because of the Italian family business mentality where growth isn't really a concern.
>>
>>1212028
Maybe Campy USA should stop pricing US wholesale higher than UK retail.
>>
>>1212004
Cut that steerer. If you pull hard, and sprint. That set up is dangerous
>>
What benefits does Campagnolo offer over Shimano?
>>
File: IMAG1701.jpg (2.04 MB, 2688x1520)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
I had Potenza on my old Tarmac for a while. Great groupset, I love the ergonomics. Shifting is actually better with the downturned thumb paddle as opposed to the multi-upshift paddle found on higher end groups. All in, I still prefer SRAM, but I wish more brands would offer Campy on their bikes. Still have't gotten to use EPS either, would be interested to see how that feels compared to Di2 or Etap.
>>
>>1212048
Higher price...and ...uh
Bragging rights.

Oh wait pinarello uses shimano.

Uh..you can talk with your hands like a guido
>>
>>1212048
I keep hearing their Brifters are more comfy than other brands but I don't come off a long ride complaining about sore hands due to shimano Brifters
>>
>>1212048
You get to play with your tools more to keep it working, and you get a membership card that lets you say words like "gruppo" unironically while telling people that the shape of the glass really does make your beer taste totally different.
>>
>>1212048
Some of them might be lighter than the mid tier shimano parts

They look pretty

You might be able to scrounge some stuff on eBay and make a Shipagnolo
>>
>>1212088
Chorus is as light as DA if you don’t include consumables. Some people use Ultegra grade consumables on DA. You use titanium SR cassettes on Chorus.
>>
>>1212048
The reason I prefer them is
>multiple shifts down the cogs in one swipe, very useful when transitioning from big ring to small and wanting to quickly match ratio
>very positive feel on the shifts
>I like the separate thumb and finger levers more than STI or DoubleTap
>front shifting works much better than shimano/sram mechanical
>hoods fit my hands better
>narrowest q factor cranksets if you care about that sort of thing
>shimano has a design flaw where the shifter cables will show greater wear and, after a few thousand miles, snap in the shifter due to routing. they've "fixed" it by making cable swapping easier
>better aesthetics, although the 4 arm 11sp cranksets are sorta crap. The new 12sp ones are nice in person even though they're awful in photos, and even sorta work on classic steel is reel frames
>their wheels are the best
>gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang
That said, there are some big cons like price and limited to no support from LBSes in North America, Japan, and Europe, and none outside of those regions. You have to either become a good mechanic on your own, or find a good one and make him your new best friend.
>>1212051
EPS is okay, but etap is the best unless you want Di2's battery life or are somehow bothered by the very slightly slower shifts that etap has. EPS v4 might be wireless.
>>
Thought about getting Potenza for an upcoming build. Ultegra was just way cheaper and isn't that far off dura ace.
>>
>why does campagnolo exist when shimano is better
You're missing the point. Shimano is better, because campagnolo exists.
>>
>>1212106
>front shifting works much better than shimano mechanical
Bullshit stupid pastanigger
>>
>>1212222
>has never tried mechanical campy front shifting
It's miles above anything else available.
>>
>>1212041
I have had it cut since the picture was taken. Was just playing around with handlebar height at the time
>>
>>1212226
No
Just stop posting already
>>
>>1212041
>Cut that steerer. If you pull hard, and sprint. That set up is dangerous
Whyyy
>>
>>1212432
>Whyyy
Pinching the steerer tube below the compression plug can weaken the carbon steerer tube.
It's better to have the stem compress around the compression plug.
>>
>>1212452

Source? I smell some pseudoscience BS here. As long as you tighten the stem to the recommended torque spec there should be no problem.
>>
>>1212670
Differentfag, but I'd believe this. Carbon is really good at handling stress in certain directions, and awful at handling it in others. If you stress a carbon component along loat paths that it wouldn't normally be stressed along, you risk failure.

We had this happen a lot in the sailing world with early carbon foils.
>>
>>1212675
What direction of force would a carbon wheel not be fine with, then?
>>
>>1212048
Different brifters, they're a better fit for handlets.
>>
File: DSC03963 (Custom).jpg (225 KB, 1500x1000)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
campy is for the most part a dumb meme but by god the action of 8spd record levers is enough to make you cum every time you shift and the fucking metal levers hnnnnnggggggggh
>>
>>1212691
Whatever direction runs perpendicular to the direction of the fibers. For sure something designed around omnidirectional forces like wheels, with a many-layered carbon fiber roving pattern to match, it'll probably be some really weird oblique angle that you would never see outside of a crash.
>>
>>1212452
But what makes you believe the stem is not clamped around the height where the compression plug is?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.