[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Twilight_Express.jpg (385 KB, 1280x957)
385 KB
385 KB JPG
Last thread hit the bump limit. Post here to talk about the trains and railways of the most passenger rail-dominated country in the world!

Old Thread: >>1181585
>>
Utsunomiya LRT (means modern trams only) vehicle design/livery decided
>>
JR West on rainstorm damages
https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/2018/07/page_12665.html
https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/items/180711_01_7gatu.pdf
https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/items/180711_00_7gatu.pdf
>>
Yafuin no Mori livery for Kyudai Main Line's reopening on July 14, along with other celebrations/ceremonies.
>>
https://mainichi.jp/articles/20180702/ddl/k32/040/233000c
sanko line.replacement bus, for the route that goes to the station on the sky, was only used by an average of 1.3 people per day, for the bus that run 3 times a day
>>
File: PN0000000000000004712.jpg (55 KB, 347x500)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Rail bike on Sanko line
>>
>>1212212
Did the news outside Germany also go
>especially the region around Hiroshima and Nagasaki was hit
?
Those cities are hundreds of kilometres apart.
What the fuck were the news writers thinking?
>>
>>1212295
Saga Prefecture was hit so it is less wrong, still very, and also misleading
>>
>>1212295
>>1212309
>* Nagasaki, Saga, Fukuoka Prefecture were
>>
File: JNR-KURO481-1.jpg (62 KB, 640x408)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
what do you think of this goofy thing
>>
>>1212320
One man's goofy is another man's a e s t h e t i c.
>>
>>1212320
I was lucky enough to ride a 489 before I was too aware of Japanese trains.

Not fond of night trains without compartments, but in Japan it worked out.
>>
>>1212295
Half of entire Japan was hit and both cities are in the same side.
>>
File: CoLV.jpg (493 KB, 900x598)
493 KB
493 KB JPG
>>1212320
It's like a dopier-looking version of this.
>>
Do the non-reserved train services* to Narita Airport get crowded due to Chiba > 23-ku commuter flow? In other words, do morning non-reserved trains from the airport get crowded (due to commuters heading to Tokyo), or do evening non-reserved trains to the airport get crowded (due to commuters returning home from Tokyo)?

Furthermore, does the flow of business travelers arriving at Narita and making domestic connections at Haneda (and vice versa) also result in the non-reserved trains to Narita being busy? If this is the case, what are the peak times for domestic-to-international connections (heading from Haneda to Narita), and the peak times for international-to-domestic connections (heading from Narita to Haneda)?

Or is the demand equally busy in both directions due to the expanded international network out of Haneda and LCC domestic flights from Narita?

Does flight connection demand also make the evening Access Express trains (the ones that run directly into Nippori/Ueno) crowded? Or does demand to/from Haneda wind down for the evening (Haneda does have a night curfew after all)?

Thank you.

*-Non reserved services include:
-Keisei Access Express (daytime) that continue to the Asakusa subway line
-Keisei Main Line Limited Express that run to Keisei-Ueno
-Keisei Access Express that replace the KML Limited Express in the evenings
-Sobu Rapid Line trains to the airport (formerly called Rapid "Airport Narita")
>>
>>1212370

>do evening non-reserved trains to the airport get crowded (due to commuters returning home from Tokyo)?

Yes, we tried that once to get from Tokyo to Narita using the Airport Narita at around 8 pm-ish ages ago and it was certainly not fun trying to cram four people + luggage into a fully packed train. Everything cleared up after Chiba but it was certainly not pleasant, taking the bus would probably be better if you are "not in a hurry" (we did it this way since we had an early flight out of it so we decided to stay close to the airport)
>>
Keeping on the subject of airport access trains, I wonder if there are any protips that those "in the know" use to get from Narita to their desired location in Tokyo.

e.g.

-If you're connecting to Yamanote/Keihin-Tohoku from Keisei, transfer at Nippori instead of Ueno since it's a much shorter walk to the JR platforms

-If you're connecting to Tokaido Shinkansen in the daytime and don't have a lot of luggage, you can take an Access Express train to Nihombashi then use the a3 or a7 exits, which will take you to the Yaesu side of Tokyo Station. From there it's only a short walk to the Marunouchi side where the Shinkansen tracks are

-The above is also a workable budget option of getting to Marunouchi or Otemachi (in the daytime), without having to deal with crowds on the Sobu Line, or your limousine bus getting stuck in expressway traffic. And, if your destination is an area like Akasaka, Roppongi, Toranomon or Nagatacho, you can connect to the Ginza, Marunouchi or Hibiya lines from the Asakusa Line (Ginza Line from Nihombashi, Ginza and Shimbashi; Marunouchi Line from Ginza, Hibiya Line from Higashi-Ginza) If you have a lot of luggage or are coming in the evening (when trains from the airport stop thru-routing with the subway), a limousine bus is often a better option, though

-If you're connecting to Tohoku Shinkansen, you don't have to go to Tokyo Station. Just take a Keisei Main Line Limited Express train (or an evening Access Express train) to Ueno and walk to the JR station building. You'll save 1,800 yen if you take an evening Access Express as compared to N'EX (1,240 yen vs. 3,020 yen). Again, this can suck if you have lots of luggage
>>
>>1212387
For budget option, just use those 1000 Yen buses (or even less than 1000 for early booking
It's more frequent, cheaper, and took almost just as much time as the access express train when the road is uncongested. And directly take you to the bus stop at Tokyo station.
Although, you would have to face the risk of getting stuck in traffic for this option. (Haven't experienced it before but I haven't tried using it in rush hour either)
>>
>>1212374
A tip, in case anyone doesn't know, is slide your luggage to doorslide, put your backpack on it, and stand behind it facing outwards with your feet holding against your luggage. Occupies less space and feels more considerate.

>>1212374
Sobu line is one of the top crowded lines so avoid it like the plague at these time periods. Ps to also mention the general points: slow (alignment detour via Chiba, top speed slower), prone to delays (from through service network, and suicides). Adding on to that is the expensive N'EX and slower rapid service. Usually not worth it unless you prize on a one seat ride, or using a JR pass (the latter I would still consider more otherwise).

>>1212403
All of the buses are nice.

>>1212387
> Tokaido Shinkansen
Transfer at Shinagawa Station. Don't be silly.
> without having to deal with crowds on the Sobu Line
Also Tozai Line in case someone's thinking about transferring at Nihonbashi Station at morning rush hour.
> Marunouchi Line from Ginza
Dude that's like a (close 500m) station apart on Hibiya Line. Transfer to Ginza Line first, then make use of the cross-platform interchange at Akasaka-Mitsuke Station.
> Ginza Line from Shimbashi
It's a widely spaced L-shaped interchange. I don't consider it as good.
>>
>>1212441
> Marunouchi Line from Ginza
To put it into perspective, the Marunouchi Line platform was original Nishi-Ginza Station. It could really use a 副駅名 ("subsidiary name"?) like the other two lines.
>>
>>1212334
It's fortunate the wealthier, more developed (ok maybe not so for the more populous part) trunk belt got hit instead of Sanin, Shikoku, and Mid-east Kyushu.
>>
>>1212441
>> Tokaido Shinkansen
>Transfer at Shinagawa Station. Don't be silly.

Not OP, but I have a question about this. How easy is the Keikyu to Shinkansen transfer at Shinagawa? Is it a breeze, or is it a pain in the ass like the Keisei to JR transfer at Ueno?

> Transfer to Ginza Line first, then make use of the cross-platform interchange at Akasaka-Mitsuke Station.

Are there any other notable cross-platform interchanges in the Syutoken area?

>>1212445

> It's fortunate the wealthier, more developed (ok maybe not so for the more populous part) trunk belt got hit instead of Sanin, Shikoku, and Mid-east Kyushu.

I'm not knowledgable about J-geography. Why would it have been worse if the floods were on the Sea of Japan side/Shikoku/Kyushu instead of along the Sanyo belt?
>>
File: collage-1531369753684.jpg (563 KB, 1440x1921)
563 KB
563 KB JPG
What do you think about Japanese trains design?
>>
>>1212502
Most of them are OK, but bottom ones are funny.
Left one looks like an alien, and right one looks like chink
>>
>>1212502

TWR 70-000: Looks like a 209-0 series except "we're in Odaiba, so let's be all futuristic n'shit"

E233-2000: It's like trying to cram a suburban E233 into a "subway car design" kind of mold. The Tokyo Metro 16000s look better

Seibu 6000: Ugly. The 40000 series is sexy af though.

E231 suburban type: Out of all the shin-keiretsu-densya this is one of my favorite designs. Clean design, orange LEDs, *and* they're in Shonan color. 10/10

TX 2000: Proof if proof be needed that Tsukuba is located on another planet

Tokyu 5050: Why do Minatomirai Line cars have to look so similar to Tokyu cars? TWR didn't directly copy the Saikyo Line, did they? Also, I miss the 6-door cars (though those were on Denentoshi and not Toyoko, plus it's not specifically a design-related grievance)
>>
>>1212502
Why do so many Japanese trains have off-center doors? What's their purpose? I mean, it can't be to go between cars, because they wouldn't line up correctly, right?
>>
>>1212518
Emergency exit doors, in case it's trapped inside a tunnel or underground and the roof and sides are inaccessible.
>>
File: collage-1531381012680.jpg (477 KB, 1440x1920)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
open
>>
>>1212512
Y-500 is a train designed based on Tokyu 5050.
Since the number of vehicles can be small for Y-500, there is no need to redesign.

Rinkai Line was not able to make JR-based vehicles because of its heavy debt.
However, there is news that a new JR-based vehicle will be introduced by 2022.
>>
File: emergency exits.jpg (343 KB, 625x800)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
>>1212519
>>1212538
Still, is there any reason for them to be offset? For example, MTR trains (excluding ex-KCR) have emergency exit doors in line with the tracks.
>>
>>1212502
I think most of their long distance express trains are aesthetic as fuck. Normal commuter and local trains aren't as good looking, but still nicer to look at than what I'm used to in the States.
>>
File: collage-1531384462552.jpg (662 KB, 1440x1921)
662 KB
662 KB JPG
Other designs
>>
>>1212628
I find that Japanese rail is at its best, aesthetically speaking, when we're talking about narrow gauge long-distance and express trainsets, particularly those designed in the 90s and early 00s.
>>
>>1212082
I'm sorry to say this, but my god that thing is ugly.
If I didn't know any better I'd say it was designed by some redneck NASCAR/American Football enthusiast.
>>
File: Yamanote_Line_Conductor.jpg (303 KB, 1920x1285)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>1212518
Not him but part of me wants to say its to maximize both the space dedicated to the Drivers control/dashboard and to maximize sight lines without obstruction from support post while maintaining a front of the train Emergency exit.

I've always liked some of the sight lines you get on Japanese trains like the E231 series.
>>
>>1212726
I mean, I like the offset doors (they're A E S T H E T I C as fuck), I was just curious about their practicality.
I guess it makes sense if they're all multiple-unit trains that aren't supposed to be coupled during revenue service.
>>
>>1212082
Is that supposed to be a build in suicide prevention rack?
>>
>>1212628

E657 and Seibu 40000 are my personal favs
>>
>>1212797
It's a balcony for the passengers.
>>
File: 3d9a6e5e.jpg (31 KB, 600x375)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
New livery for Utsunomiya LRT announced
>>
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180713-03245115-saga-l41
Seems like Saga is still rejecting full Nagasaki Shinkansen
>>
File: DSCF3519-Edit.jpg (624 KB, 1000x667)
624 KB
624 KB JPG
Rode this cute little thing in Kyoto last year. Wish I had a better shot of it.

>>1212571
I'd guess it's just to make more room for the driver's area and controls, putting the door in the center would mean cramming it into one corner or the other, while this way it can be 2/3rds the width of the train.
>>
File: TokyoMetro6000cabwall2.jpg (436 KB, 1024x768)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
>>1212502
>TWR
Its just a 209 with a new face.
>E233-2000
Absolutely love it. Its the only train other than the Odakyu clone that uses a real horn.
>Seibu 6000
Bleh
>E231-1000
Its alright. Its not E231-500 and they have strange sounding VVVF inverters
>TX-2000
I rode on one the day Tsukuba Express opened. They are alright I like how the train shuts off past Moriya to change voltage.
>ToQ 5050
Its alright just average run on the mill train.
>>1212628
>Metro 10000
Hate it I love the 7000 series better
>Sotetsu 10000
Looks like a E231 clone
>E233-1000
I hate it. At least they didnt scrap the absolutely aesthetic 209-0 that proceeded the E233
>Seibu 40000
Call me a luddite I hate this new edgy design shit.
>KQ N1000
A great design in old livery. I hate the jewing out on paint Keikyu is doing now to look "modern"
>E657
They are cool AF.
>>1212748
The cab wall has the exit to the same side as the door.
>>
>>1212082
Am I the only one who thinks this thing looks like the train equivalent of a dekotora?
>>
>>1212899

>Looks like a E231 clone

That's because it is based on the E231 and shares most of its parts, even the interior is the same
>>
so we all agree 183 and 381 series are some of the best right?
>>
File: 485 JNR Colors.jpg (569 KB, 2048x1360)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
>>1212944

You mean the one with the Ricecooker (183, 381, 485, etc.) designs? Without a doubt
>>
>>1212883
>>>1212210
>>
>>1213019
>>1212883
Also it's the Utsunomiya tram being new.
>>
>Going to the moon early August
>Want to ride the Sunrise Seto a few days later

Wish me luck reserving a nobinobi seat on landing a mere 3 days before my desired ride date, from what I hear the odds aren't great...
>>
File: huis ten bosch expr.jpg (369 KB, 1613x908)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>1212945
I have an unhealthy and expensive obsession with 485s
>>
>>1213044
Just upgrade man. You will enjoy it. It's worth the premium.
>>
>>1212904
[Shikoku 0 series Shinkansen.jpg]
>>
>>1213044
Last time I rode Sunrise Seto (~8 years ago), the nobinobi section didn't feel too overcrowded. It will probably work out.
May have gotten worse with the overall decline of night trains in Japan, though. "Need to ride this train before it gets discontinued. etc."

Wishing you best of luck.
>>
August is also a busy time
>>
>>1212628
>>1212502
Compared to the American "let's weld these steel plates together and see what happens" and the European "we hired a retard to draw a train for us" design, I'd say it's pretty damn good. Very clean and refined. Looks like they actually put effort into it, especially the Shinkansen.
>>
>>1213136
>Compared to the American "let's weld these steel plates together and see what happens"
b-but... I kinda like how friggin' brutal american freight locos are. They look like they'd grind your bones to dust under their wheels if you get in their way - and they WILL.
Japanese locos have a different style. They're the classy businessmen of the train world - simple, but elegant. Not showy, but still good-looking.
It's the European locomotives that are... eugh. Mind you, there are some good designs, but their bad ones are BAD.
>>
File: max_shinkansen.jpg (271 KB, 1280x960)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>1213190
>I kinda like how friggin' brutal american freight locos are.
To me they look like sad dogs, but I guess that's what happens when all they do is pull freight. Doesn't make them less brutal, but damn they're ugly.
Just look at these things though, as a kid I was halfway convinced they were spaceships the first time I saw them.
The euro equivalents try to go for the same aesthetic, but still look like some cheap home appliances.
>>
>>1212502
They all look rather childish and plasticky. The one on the top right looks pretty good though
>>1212628
Same goes for these. Bottom left looks pretty good. That alien on the left is awful
>>
>>1213683
I actually really like the E4 MAX. It combines my love of double decker coaches with my love of HSR, and it looks sleeker and more futuristic than the TGV duplex.
>>
>>1213698
> E4
> looks sleeker and more futuristic than the TGV duplex
Its front is much disliked (underappreciated imo), but I would say contrary,
100 series bilevels >= TGV Duplex > E1 >= E4
>>
>>1213044
>>1213108
>>1213081
Special Notice:
Because of the big rain and flooding in Western Japan, Sunrise Izumo will suspend until August 1.
While Sunrise Seto will resume running from July 18, that also mean the supply for sleeper train have decreased in the first half of the summer holiday. So, overall speaking it might be even harder to get onto the Sunrise sleeper train this summer compares to other years as those who initially desired to travel on Sunrise Seto in early July or Sunrise Izumo in the entire July might have changed their schedule into August and also possibly changed their destination
>>
>>1213711
Yeah though about the first part, expecting it to resume on time. Not the second part though.
>>
File: Airport-Joban.jpg (26 KB, 300x348)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
TIL that during the New Year holidays, GW and Obon periods in 2007-08, JR East ran special Joban Line trains from Ueno to Narita Airport via Joban-Rapid, Narita Line Abiko Branch, and Narita Line Airport Branch. It was called Rapid "Airport Joban" and used 6-car 183 series from Omiya GRSC.
>>
File: downloadfile.jpg (488 KB, 1000x600)
488 KB
488 KB JPG
>>1213047
And I've got an addiction with small 1- or 2-car kihas.

Also, would anyone happen to know how much a new LE-DC from Subaru or a new NDC from Nigata Transys / Engineering would cost, without taxes, shipping, etc? What about used ones, used JR kihas? (What about the cost of putting it on a ship and traversing an ocean with it?)

Asking for a friend
>>
>>1213989
>What about used ones, used JR kihas?

The other day JR Central was selling seats from decommissioned Shinkansen rolling stock - the asking price was in the high five digits per seat -, so take a guess.
>>
>>1213989
To be scrapped Kihas would probably cost around $10000.
>>
File: IMG_7388.jpg (2.5 MB, 4032x3024)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
Personal favourite train routes in Japan?
>Senzan line between Sendai - Yamadera in Tohoku is my personal fav
>>
>>1214478

One of the fun (and rather important) fact about that line is that it is the birthplace of AC electrification of Japanese railways in the late 1950s, as they picked up the slack after France's initial attempt failed.
>>
File: P6230164.jpg (1.18 MB, 2304x1728)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>1214478
There's this one section somewhere on the route between Tokyo/Nagano/Matsumoto can't remember where, where there's this beautiful pic related vista over a city between the mountains, it just really stuck with me.
>>
File: P5010052.jpg (365 KB, 1383x1037)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>1214478
>>1214515
Also the vast empty plains between Sapporo/Kushiro and Kushiro/Shari, feels pretty post-apocalyptic.
>>
Kyushu seven stars
>>
>>1214586
Just run normal fucking night/sleeper trains, JR.

No one needs that extravaganza shit for people with too much time and money.
If they fill your pockets to an extent that allows you to run regular night/sleeper trains again, okay, otherwise boo.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.