[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 811auO7LofL._SL1500_.jpg (283 KB, 1500x1500)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
Anyone here use some kind of skateboard type thing as a serious means of transpo? The distance I have to cover is just 2-3 miles more or less. I don't think it's much. I'm debating between a penny board(pic related) which costs 60 USD and a kickscooter that costs nearly 160 USD. Where I live, the sidewalks can be pretty shit and I don't really trust any drivers on the street to ride on the road 90% of the time, so the scooter may be better with shittier terrain since the kind I'm getting has bigger wheels. On the other hand, it's 160 USD for something that I view as pretty disposable. But I do have more experience riding a kickscooter than riding any kind of skateboard. I used to ride a skateboard for transportation before so I probably can learn it again. My issue is about the terrain I guess. Would it be worth it to pay more and have a more assured method of transportation or should I save money and learn whatever I can to make things work?

Note that maybe some days I'll opt to also use the bus along with the board/scooter to get around if I need to.
>>
>>1212520
My brother uses a longboard to get to uni from his off-campus housing. Unfortunately, it will require using the road, but he swears up and down that longboards are hugely better for getting around than regular skateboards due to the greater distance between wheels and more gradual and controlled turning rate. And it looks like there is a good selection out there for roughly the same price as your skateboard.
>>
Do not buy a penny board if u have shitty sidewalks.

I use penny board for traveling inside where floor is smooth. They are some shit when it comes to any sort of turbulent ground
>>
>>1212520
>skateboard
>serious means of transpo?
Really? REALLY?
>>
>>1212520
I want to like the Penny board but there are too many obstacles that prevents it being practical for commuting. The scooter is superior in any way besides size.
>>
>>1212783
You can't hold stuff conveniently(having free hands) while riding a scooter also.

That's why I made the thread to ponder about this. I didn't mean to say that skateboards aren't a serious means of transpo like the guy above thinks., I was asking if there were people here who did use them for transpo.

After riding my bike to work today and back home I noticed the sidewalks wouldn't be that bad for a penny board, however I'd have to get off the board at least 3 or 4 times. On the sidewalk, I think a skateboard could be faster than a bike and have the conveniences that come with it just being a board because when I ride the bike I have to be very careful as to not get into an accident which slows me down too. But with a skateboard I can finish the stride(1 block before crossing the road or something) quickly and just get off the board and walk when I feel like it. You know what I'm saying? I was wondering if anyone had more insight on this.

160 usd is a hell of a lot to spend on a manual scooter so I want to make the best decision. Right now I'm looking at the Penny Nickel board which is actually bigger than the regular penny board which means it could be more stable on some shitty sidewalks. The scooter I'm considering is the Hudora 230 which seems to be pretty good but the price is scary. Scooters have a problem with the wheel getting unaligned at some point and I never know how to fix it properly even though I tighten everything. A skateboard seems to be lower maintenance where I just have to change bearings or wheels and loosen/tighten one or two things.
>>
File: Riding Penny longboard.png (569 KB, 640x480)
569 KB
569 KB PNG
>>1212811
I have a phone mount and shopping bags hanging on my scooter, it's easier to transport stuff on it. It's hard to keep balance on a skateboard while holding stuff.

I have the Penny Classic, Nickel and Longboard, if you still want one for travel then the Longboard wins.
>>
>>1212811
Get off the fucking sidewalk, retard
>>
>>1212837
My life is worth more than the shame I get from riding on the sidewalk. Besides, I live in a very shitty place in California that doesn't have the best biking paths or infrastructure. Most other people also ride on the sidewalk.
>>
>>1212838
>My life is worth more than the shame I get from riding on the sidewalk.
Riding on the sidewalk is more dangerous than you thnk, or you wouldn't be riding slow enough for a razor scooter to lap you.
>>
>>1212842
Riding on the sidewalk I can trust myself to be careful without considering drivers(sacrificing speed) whereas if I'm on the road I not only have to be careful but I must force myself to put my lives in the hands of some of the beaner drivers who infest California. I don't gain any speed if I drive on the road due to how much more careful I must be trying to obey the laws of the road as a cyclist.
>>
Theres a skateboarding general over at /asp/ , they're really friendly to newbies and answer any questions you might have
>>
Get a longboard around 36 inches long. That's probably perfect for what you need. Put some gullwing sidewinder II's on it and wide longboard specific wheels on it. Similar setup to what I have and I use it to commute.
>>
>>1212575
Seconded. I used a long board to get around Portsmouth when I was at uni there. Silky smooth, even a pothole just turns into a little bounce. Fast too.
>>
Op reporting back. I bought a 26 inch mini cruiser which is perfect for me since I'm a small guy. Been riding it around and I'm faster on it than with my shitty 20 dollar used mountain style bike. Been trying to practice stopping and manuevering which will make commutes smoother. Thanks niggys. It's much funner than my crap bike too and I'm less tired getting to work. I definitely prefer to ride it on the road on some low traffic paths instead of sidewalks though
>>
>>1215909
Pix please
>>
>>1215955
It's the landyachtz mini 26"
It has many designs so i don't need to post mine
>>
>>1215909
How are you getting up drive way seams or sidewalk entrances with cracks?
>>
>>1216038
I try to avoid those in the first place but my wheels are decent enough to just roll over those with some resistance. It's really dreadful still so I try to find alternate paths with low traffic and good roads.
>>
>>1215909
if you really wanna carve, then get a pair of these bad boys. Literally can turn within the radius of 6 ft on my board. They are insane.

amazon linko: http://a.co/3g7Y7Oe
>>
>>1216179
/esg/ here, those look trippy af. I wonder how those would grind haha
>>
>>1212811

have you tried the penny before? because theyre made of plastic, the deck itself is very bendy and springy, not solid at all if youre not exactly over the bolts. way less stable than a wooden skateboard deck, you'd be better off getting a longboard. Though personally I would get a skateboard with a larger deck, maybe like 8.5 inchs and larger wheels so you have the extra mobility of a skateboard with the stability of a longboard
>>
OP get a chink pennyboard for $15 and try it out.
>>
File: decks.jpg (250 KB, 953x1277)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>1212520
Been skating for the past 4,5 years.
I mostly just use it to ride through the city instead of buses/trams, i rarely do tricks, so i see it mostly as just my means of transportation.

Penny boards are crap. I mean, sure, they are small and easy to carry but riding them is not really pleasant, especially for longer distances.
Longboards are great if you plan to ride far, but they are bigger and heavier, so for me it's not a good choice.

I'd recommend any skateboard deck with the size 8" - 8,5", some good bearings (so you can keep your speed and don't have to push every 2 meters) and trucks.
Just recently got a new deck and put my old trucks on it

left:
Enjoi x Dan Drehobl deck 8.25"

right:
Welcome 8.6" deck
tensor light trucks
bones wheels (street formula)
hard luck bearings

currently waiting for avenue trucks to come in, had them back in the days but they broke.
those are great on bumpy roads, take a lot of vibrations out so it's great on shitty streets. plus all the things it does if you do tricks (more pop, etc)
>>
>>1218911
btw, i actually started skating after my bike got stolen lol
had a downhill bike with 29" wheels, had it for 2 months, i locked it with 2 locks before going to a store to do some quick groceries after a forrest ride, 10 minutes later the bike was gone.

that's when a friend of mine borrowed me his skateboard, and i never ever looked back at bikes - even though i really miss riding downhill :(

my first board was a 7.75", was kinda hard at first to learn riding it, but the size and weight were great for taking it everywhere.
but i'd recommend something between 8" and 8.5" because it's a lot easier to ride.
the 8.6" deck i have now is pretty much perfect, i was considering taking it a 8.125" of that model because i considered 8.6" to be huge but it is actually reallly smooth
>>
>>1212575
Longboards are better than skateboards for transport, if only because the larger wheels are less likely to stop when you hit a pebble.
>>
>>1216174
Could you not have done this on your bike?
>>
>>1216038
If those pose an issue it's inexperience, not the board
>>
>>1219023
You can't ollie over obstacles with a longboard though
>>
>>1219402
You can with a cruiser
>>
Longboards are fucking awkward. I take a cruiser board with a kicktail to the city any day, not one of those big monstrosities that you have to reach down and pick up
>>
File: Banner+5.jpg (83 KB, 500x333)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
These things are fucking bad ass.
>>
File: land-1.jpg (102 KB, 1130x452)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>skateboard type thing as a serious means of transpo?
>>
File: pybt.jpg (433 KB, 1257x943)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>1212520
unofficial post your board thread
>>
>>1212520
im using an el cheapo 70 euro longboard for 3 years now to go light shopping (when i need a few drinks or sauce or when one or two ingredients miss etc) because its 15 minutes away from the store and 20 back, and its not far enough that its worth it to take out my bike from basement and then keep locking and unlocking it everywhere etc. (no car because uni poorfag)
>>
>>1212520
>2-3 miles or less
Invest in a decent pair of walking shoes and walk, it's better exercise and it's one less thing you have to carry around with you.
>>
>>1220989
A bike would be excellent.
>>
>>1219072
>>1221015
You guys should make like a tree and fuck off. God forbid you try to have a bit of fun riding a wooden board around
>>
>>1216179
A friend of mine had some of these, they were super trippy, it kinda felt like as you learned to turn you got to kinda one stage that would be about the same as a normal longboard, but then you could keep going with increasing your turn angle, it was super trippy but also super fun.
>>
File: IMG_20180807_003955.jpg (1.45 MB, 2448x2448)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
GPS cycling computer came in today
>>
>>1212842
how the hell is it dangerous? or do you mean dangerous in the sense of shit on the ground making me fall?
>>
File: 1495156218160.jpg (52 KB, 640x640)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1214440
>>1216179
>>1221406
Would these work on a cruiser too? My board's width is only 7.5", but the smallest they sell is 9". Also, is buying the pair better than buying the single one? Was thinking about getting both, but I noticed they also sell single ones, so maybe having two would be redundant?
>>
File: 20180813_164735-1323x3024.jpg (957 KB, 1323x3024)
957 KB
957 KB JPG
>>1218911
Not OP, but just got pic related for transport to and from college after my bike was stolen. How'd I do? It's been over 8 years since I rode so gotta relearn to ride.
>santa cruz Eric Winkowski deck
>independent truck co trucks
>lucky bearings hardball bearings
>OJ wheels
~$160
>>
File: 20161112_124743-02.jpg (3.26 MB, 2232x4880)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
>>1220381
$30 Scratch-and-dent sale in PA. OEM keeps the beat-up boards in their distribution warehouse to clear them out. Regular popsicle-sticks were $10

Needed new wheel bearings and truck bushings immediately. So another $30

Been kicking around for 2 years now, so it held up breddy gud. Was just starting out, so didn't care about pedigree.
>>
File: proteinpimp.gif (1.53 MB, 256x256)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB GIF
I'm looking into getting a skateboard for fun and as a means of transportation (3 miles/6 miles total). I haven't ridden a skateboard since I was 12 and even then I wasn't that good.

What do yall recommend I get as a beginner?
>>
>>1225050
get a mid size cruiser with some softish wheels, maybe around 80a anything on any skate website will do for a starting point, if its hard to push get some better bearings. you'll learn as you go but its best to start with something cheap.
>>
>>1212520
Search craiglist or similar sites and buy a used scooter, seriously, most people basically give them away once they find it will get no use. Got mine with wired rims for 10 bucks
>>
>>1224318
Yes that's primarily what I used my Sidewinder 2's on. Also I'd recommend buying the pair, you can mix a stock truck and one of these, but I prefer both trucks to be the sidewinders.

The main downside to these trucks is; do not ever exceed like 10mph without being ready for speed wobble.
>>
Well, now I want one, thanks to this thread. Work is 15 minutes walk away, so I could skate instead for fun. Would a cruiser/mini cruiser be good for bad sidewalks, if I want something small and light? Can I pick them up without bending down?
>>
>>1226438
How bad are we talking? If you get a cruiser or board with good sized soft wheels, itll roll over cracks and stuff but nothing too big. Learn your streets and youll be fine. Find out if theres alternative paths with less traffic so you can freely ride on the road. I love it. Always be safe friend, always better to just pick it up and walk if you dont trust the street youre on. Thats why i like them.

To pick up your board without bending down, just step on the tail of the board and itll just come up to you. Watch some beginner skating vids on YT.
>>
>>1212520
I used to and its way quicker than walking , I skateboarded from 2002 until 2011 ,I want to get back into it but im 32 now so i'd probably just skate in parks, still got my boards , used a 7.5 almost skateboard , have always liked that size for some reason my feet are size 9 uk size which is average , seems weird how lots of people like 8 inches + on their boards nowadays , almost also make a wheel called "modern softies" which are amazing if the ground is shitty they are 54mm and 80a if I remember correctly , "normal" hardness wheels annoy me because of pushing too much and being too rattly. and abec 9 bearings mean you don't need to push as much as well , probably too fast for a beginner tho

a backpack is really useful , I'd recommend getting a wooden short board over plastic , once you get the hang of riding a board being able to ollie up kerbs is really handy and not that hard to learn , as you are in america you could probably get a decent board cheaply , dont get a scooter they are just crap , I am repulsed by them as an ex skateboarder
>>
File: 61LkQfO1M-L._SL260_.jpg (9 KB, 260x260)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
My cheap board arrived today, but the wheels don't spin consistently well, one in particular seems to experience a lot of friction. Is this expected? Is it a defect and so should I ask for an exchange? Should I return it? Did I get ripped off? Is it something simple and common among new boards that I can tweak, like loosen the nut holding the wheel?
I specifically picked the one with good reviews. Others in the price range had reviews that complained about the bearings and having to replace them, but this one didn't have those complaints.
>>1227000
I went over the path with my bicycle this weekend. The path is actually decent, except for the warning bumps around the pair of car entrances to a store parking lot.
>>
>>1228408
Check the bearings anyway. They might just need to be lubed up a bit.
>>
>>1212520
I used to it's as much work as walking, more dangerous, but also more fun. only marginally faster than walking,

I had a ben wei 24.
>>
Target or Walmart might have a decent Mongoose BMX for $150, just saying.
>>
>>1218914
How does a bike with 2 locks get stolen in ten minutes?
>>
How do people ride skateboards without falling off?
>>
>>1229228
Gravity pulls you down m8
>>
>>1229226
Bike thieves can be pretty good at breaking or cutting locks. Especially if the locks aren't high quality ones.
>>
>>1228412
As I'd hoped, I just needed to loosen the nuts a little.
Am I naive in thinking that I could avoid a serious fall as long as I'm very careful and don't try tricks? I have my bicycle helmet and spf gloves, and I don't want to bother getting full protection gear.
>>
>>1229921
Falling is inevitable just like in cycling, it's part of the experience. It's important to learn how to properly fall so you don't try to catch yourself and break a wrist or elbow or something.
>>
>>1229924
>Falling is inevitable just like in cycling
>>
>>1215797
>Portsmouth
Oh shit, UK or America? I cruise around UK Portsmouth all the time, it's such a great city for it.
>>
anything that rolls will make you go faster, the ball bearing is king. I was scuffed walking and saw kids 1/3 my age on shitty scooters rolling down a slight gradient and I was jelly of em. Just get something, its a sliding scale from rollerblades to bicycle. Pick how efficient or portable you want it, it should be pretty obvious how fast you'll go.

Anyone know how these things, free skates, work? No straps, fits in a backpack without being too bulky, and looks fun but I question how easy they are to ride (maybe theyre just for tricks/ skating savants) and if I'd be able to get around any faster. I use a bike for my 2 mile commute, but I make short trips and fuck around, quarter mile or less stuff.
>>
>>1230388
I wouldn't recommend freeskates for transport but they can bust some sick tricks. Of all the time I spent on park paths, I seen only one person using it to move forward and another person at the beach practicing tricks. I think to propel yourself on one of those requires a motion like riding a ripstick (another autism tier thing to ride)
>>
>>1228491
I can't imagine how those are comfortable to ride being so small. How controllable are they compared to a regular skateboard?
>>
>>1231458
You just can't sprawl out as much and the board can be narrow depending on your stance.

>>1228491
>only marginally faster than walking
Then you're doing it wrong
>>
I've been thinking about getting a chink £20 pennyboard for my commute, I need something small as I travel on a packed bus most my journey but still have 10-15min walks either end, I am happy walking but a board may be abit faster and more fun on nice days.
Never skateboarded before, just want one to make my trip shorter, dont care for tricks.
>>
>>1228491
I have that album that the picture is from. Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass - good stuff.
>>
>>1220237
Cool to see someone suggest an all terrain board since i was just looking into them. I'm curious to try out the pic related popsicle cruiser style version and will probably get one soon.

The double kictails make ollies and whatnot possible, and the smaller size makes it more maneuverable too. Might be an option for anyone else looking for something fun to toy and cruise around on. Looking forward to see what it's like.

Also, the wheels the wheels can be bought alone as well, so you can put them on any board you want, like an e-board for example. Should help make rough roads easier regardless of what you're riding.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.