[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 12 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 811auO7LofL._SL1500_.jpg (283 KB, 1500x1500)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
Anyone here use some kind of skateboard type thing as a serious means of transpo? The distance I have to cover is just 2-3 miles more or less. I don't think it's much. I'm debating between a penny board(pic related) which costs 60 USD and a kickscooter that costs nearly 160 USD. Where I live, the sidewalks can be pretty shit and I don't really trust any drivers on the street to ride on the road 90% of the time, so the scooter may be better with shittier terrain since the kind I'm getting has bigger wheels. On the other hand, it's 160 USD for something that I view as pretty disposable. But I do have more experience riding a kickscooter than riding any kind of skateboard. I used to ride a skateboard for transportation before so I probably can learn it again. My issue is about the terrain I guess. Would it be worth it to pay more and have a more assured method of transportation or should I save money and learn whatever I can to make things work?

Note that maybe some days I'll opt to also use the bus along with the board/scooter to get around if I need to.
>>
>>1212520
My brother uses a longboard to get to uni from his off-campus housing. Unfortunately, it will require using the road, but he swears up and down that longboards are hugely better for getting around than regular skateboards due to the greater distance between wheels and more gradual and controlled turning rate. And it looks like there is a good selection out there for roughly the same price as your skateboard.
>>
Do not buy a penny board if u have shitty sidewalks.

I use penny board for traveling inside where floor is smooth. They are some shit when it comes to any sort of turbulent ground
>>
>>1212520
>skateboard
>serious means of transpo?
Really? REALLY?
>>
>>1212520
I want to like the Penny board but there are too many obstacles that prevents it being practical for commuting. The scooter is superior in any way besides size.
>>
>>1212783
You can't hold stuff conveniently(having free hands) while riding a scooter also.

That's why I made the thread to ponder about this. I didn't mean to say that skateboards aren't a serious means of transpo like the guy above thinks., I was asking if there were people here who did use them for transpo.

After riding my bike to work today and back home I noticed the sidewalks wouldn't be that bad for a penny board, however I'd have to get off the board at least 3 or 4 times. On the sidewalk, I think a skateboard could be faster than a bike and have the conveniences that come with it just being a board because when I ride the bike I have to be very careful as to not get into an accident which slows me down too. But with a skateboard I can finish the stride(1 block before crossing the road or something) quickly and just get off the board and walk when I feel like it. You know what I'm saying? I was wondering if anyone had more insight on this.

160 usd is a hell of a lot to spend on a manual scooter so I want to make the best decision. Right now I'm looking at the Penny Nickel board which is actually bigger than the regular penny board which means it could be more stable on some shitty sidewalks. The scooter I'm considering is the Hudora 230 which seems to be pretty good but the price is scary. Scooters have a problem with the wheel getting unaligned at some point and I never know how to fix it properly even though I tighten everything. A skateboard seems to be lower maintenance where I just have to change bearings or wheels and loosen/tighten one or two things.
>>
File: Riding Penny longboard.png (569 KB, 640x480)
569 KB
569 KB PNG
>>1212811
I have a phone mount and shopping bags hanging on my scooter, it's easier to transport stuff on it. It's hard to keep balance on a skateboard while holding stuff.

I have the Penny Classic, Nickel and Longboard, if you still want one for travel then the Longboard wins.
>>
>>1212811
Get off the fucking sidewalk, retard
>>
>>1212837
My life is worth more than the shame I get from riding on the sidewalk. Besides, I live in a very shitty place in California that doesn't have the best biking paths or infrastructure. Most other people also ride on the sidewalk.
>>
>>1212838
>My life is worth more than the shame I get from riding on the sidewalk.
Riding on the sidewalk is more dangerous than you thnk, or you wouldn't be riding slow enough for a razor scooter to lap you.
>>
>>1212842
Riding on the sidewalk I can trust myself to be careful without considering drivers(sacrificing speed) whereas if I'm on the road I not only have to be careful but I must force myself to put my lives in the hands of some of the beaner drivers who infest California. I don't gain any speed if I drive on the road due to how much more careful I must be trying to obey the laws of the road as a cyclist.
>>
Theres a skateboarding general over at /asp/ , they're really friendly to newbies and answer any questions you might have
>>
Get a longboard around 36 inches long. That's probably perfect for what you need. Put some gullwing sidewinder II's on it and wide longboard specific wheels on it. Similar setup to what I have and I use it to commute.
>>
>>1212575
Seconded. I used a long board to get around Portsmouth when I was at uni there. Silky smooth, even a pothole just turns into a little bounce. Fast too.
>>
Op reporting back. I bought a 26 inch mini cruiser which is perfect for me since I'm a small guy. Been riding it around and I'm faster on it than with my shitty 20 dollar used mountain style bike. Been trying to practice stopping and manuevering which will make commutes smoother. Thanks niggys. It's much funner than my crap bike too and I'm less tired getting to work. I definitely prefer to ride it on the road on some low traffic paths instead of sidewalks though
>>
>>1215909
Pix please
>>
>>1215955
It's the landyachtz mini 26"
It has many designs so i don't need to post mine
>>
>>1215909
How are you getting up drive way seams or sidewalk entrances with cracks?
>>
>>1216038
I try to avoid those in the first place but my wheels are decent enough to just roll over those with some resistance. It's really dreadful still so I try to find alternate paths with low traffic and good roads.
>>
>>1215909
if you really wanna carve, then get a pair of these bad boys. Literally can turn within the radius of 6 ft on my board. They are insane.

amazon linko: http://a.co/3g7Y7Oe
>>
>>1216179
/esg/ here, those look trippy af. I wonder how those would grind haha

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.