[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Is the Netherlands the bikefag version of heaven?
>>
>>1212785
If you like utility bikes as actual transportation, yes.

If you like to ride for fun it can get pretty crowded sometimes because the boomer army comes out when the weather is nice and clog up the countryside bike paths.
>>
>>1212785
bike traffic sucks
>>
>>1212785
No
A bikefag heaven doesn't involve being segregated
Fuck bike lanes, cars and bikes should share the road, and every city street (ie not a highway) should have a 40km/h speed limit for both
>>
>>1212785
If you like not getting hit by a car and dying its probably pretty legit.
>>
a bikefags heaven would be flat roads with no junctions, traffic lights or roundabouts
>>
>>1212814
History shows that only thing better than segregation is genocide.

Bikefag heaven has no cagers at all.
>>
>>1212814
>A bikefag heaven doesn't involve being segregated
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha do you even ride bikes?
>>
>>1212819
Yes, every day, on the road. What's so funny?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (84 KB, 1280x720)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>1212830
So this triggers you? You really want to ride as close to the cancer spewing cages as possible?
>>
>>1212839
On a chill Sunday stroll I'll ride on bike paths no problem. When I'm actually going places, delivering stuff, or riding for hours and hours, I'll take cagers going my same speed over slow, weaving roasties, clueless pedestrians, never-ending crossings and intersections, and all the other annoying shit you find on bike paths.
>>
>>1212855
These paths are mostly in dense urban areas and the like, if you want to ride for hours you head into the countryside with normal country roads.
>>
Japan is better for cyclists. Japan is pretty much cycling mecca. There's a reason 90% of cycling tech advances are japanese.
>>
>>1212814
>be me
>live in the Netherlands
>go visit a friend who lives in the next town 35 kilometres away
>comfy trip exclusively on bikelanes through the fields, most crossings with actual car traffic are grade-seperated
>get home late at night, slightly drunk
>read your post because it's perfectly fine browsing 4chan on a bike as there's absolutely zero chance of ever getting hit by a car or anything
It honestly is bikefag heaven here. I used to complain until I went cycling in a few other countries where I got hit by how much it sucks if roads aren't designed with bike traffic in mind. Outside of the cities bikes and cars shouldn't be on the same road because it always means having to look out for 4 wheeled assholes in stead of enjoying your ride. Sadly the Netherlands is the only place that got this right.
>>
>>1212868

>>be me

Phew! Thought you were going to speak in third person for a second!
>>
>bicycle apartheid
>>
>>1212936
>being such a newfag that you don't understand a basic stylistic conceit of greentext
>>
I know it sounds silly but I have biked there and I much prefer being on a country road with an ample shoulder and dashed yellow line where I can take up the right third of the lane and a car can swing by me real easily when they come by once every five minutes or so.

It seems so sterile riding in bike lanes that are not filled with distracted tourists or drunk thots stepping off curbs.
>>
>>1212785
oh yeah and this might make the dutch mad but you haven't truly been to amsterdam if you haven't bought a bike off a junkie, covered it with stickers as a disguise then throw it in the canal along Oudezijds Voorburgwal before getting on a train out of Amsterdam Centraal.
>>
>>1212814
>>1212861
Is this some kind of Unpopular Opinions thread?
>>
>>1212785
Netherlands is the "let's all be happy together" tier /n/ heaven. Switzerland on the other hand is the "fuck bikes gimme TRAAAAIIINS" tier /n/ heaven.
>>
File: bike_fucktard.png (783 KB, 1344x600)
783 KB
783 KB PNG
>>1212819
>>1212988
maybe he's from Madrid, there's a whole bunch of retards spouting shit like that in Madrid, they actually try to argue that bike lanes are more dangerous, and that bikes should ride in traffic to force cars to drive more careful. Then they cherrypick news items of accidents happening with bike lanes, which are always the fault of either a car or truck and/or a terribly designed bike lane, and use that to argue in their favor, while disregarding that bikes have a modal share of like 1%. It would be funny if it weren't sad.

>pinned tweet saying how there's more bike accidents in Barcelona than in Madrid (Barcelona is actually working on massively expanding bike lanes)
>>
>>1212855
>all the other annoying shit you find on bike paths.

You've never been to the Netherlands.
>>
>>1212950
>be me is extremely newfag tbqh senpai
>>
>>1212941
>>bicycle apartheid
Are Whites the bicyclists or the motorists in this scenario?
>>
File: Bad Post.jpg (16 KB, 200x300)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1212961
That sounds like delinquent behavior to me.
>>
>>1213015
Yeah, doesn't have to be from Madrid. Check out "Bicyclists belong in the traffic lane", "Supporters of full lane rights for bicyclists", and "beware of the bicycle infrastructure complex" on FB. I know a couple of charities in France they actually advocate against bicycle infrastructure.

But all these guys are really marginal, because everyone now knows that what the Netherlands has been doing for the last 40 years is the right way to get people on bikes safely.
>>
>>1213256
>But all these guys are really marginal
In Madrid they aren't tho, they've actively managed to hold back bike lane development for many years, and still do. Since there's no bike lanes, few people ride bikes, and most that do are anti-bike lane,so they're the only voice to speak up in those matters. And since there's almost no politicians in spain who have the slightest idea about urban mobility they end up going with that.
>>
Amsterdam is my model city. I took the light rail everywhere, no bikes needed
>>
>>1213466
Nah, it's an overrated shithole. They build modern stuff on the old 1800 infrastructure.

A city like Eindhoven is superior when it comes to cycling paths.

https://youtu.be/NWHFLiPIMEo
>>
>>1213048
"be me" is fuckin imgur ebin /r/bestof shit
>>
>>1213048
Misusing meme arrows is even more newfag
>>
>>1213048
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
No.
And don't come here.
>>
>>1213919
I lived there for about two years in the late 80s. Too late.
>>
Dutchfag here.
Please don't come here we are full.
Also gas forgien bikefags, the fucking arrogant twats.
>>
>>1214134
Kankerhomo
>>
>>1213495
Fuck bike oriented development
>>
>>1214201
But a city like Eindhoven provides the best options for both. It let's bicycles pass under car roads and minimizes the interaction with cars.
>>
>>1214182
Sterf hoer
>>
>>1212785

The highlight of my summer holidays in Benelux this year was just cycling around in the old canal region of Amsterdam. Without a map, just getting lost and enjoying. I seriously think I could live there. But then again, I'm going in 2 weeks to Copenhagen, I've heard it's even better for cycling than Amsterdam. Funny thing being that Dutch people in general think that Amsterdam cycling infrastructure is seriously lacking. I've heard Groningen and Utrecht are bikefag heaven
>>
>>1213015
Actually I was in Barcelona these past few weeks and cycling around sucks
>lots of two-way bike lanes next to one-way car lanes so ever time you're going against traffic there's a high chance someone will turn without seeing you
>pedestrian crossings are a couple of meters up the road from intersections, yet bike path crossings are right next to them, so you end up with cars right on top of the bike lane while waiting for pedestrians to cross
>since you're expected to use bike lanes all the time, as soon as you ride on a busy road cars are aggressive as hell, which means you have to stick to bike lanes all the time, which in turn means huge detours if you're going anywhere but the most touristic places
For tourism and casuals it's great, for actually getting around not so much
>>
>>1214255
Sounds like once again, drivers are the problem
>>
>>1214255
I don't disagree, Barcelona has established a lot of bike lanes, but very half-assedly. You forgot to mention the many middle-of-the-road bike lanes, which is burger-tier pants-on-head retarded, but of course that's one of the few ways to handle bike lanes on two-wat srtreets where there's a bus lane which MUST be the side of the road so the bus can go nice and slow and get stuck behind taxis and cars turning right. When it would be infinitely more logical and simple to have the bus down the middle, and the bike lanes on the side.
There's plans to start converting some bike lanes to one-way following traffic flow, since many of those lanes in question are very narrow and saturation is becoming a problem.
>>
>>1214343
>You forgot to mention the many middle-of-the-road bike lanes
Oh fuck I had forgotten about those, I only rode through the one that goes down Diagonal Ave (or something like that), never again.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.