[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 7 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

So I am looking for a backup job as my current employer is probably about to go belly-up

I have always been interested in travel/being a conductor.

I have a minimal family, very few friends, and nothing really to do. My only hobby is my one-day a week D&D game.

Are there any companies that guarantee you a day off, or is it really all 6 on/2 off?
>>
>>1212835
The CN has extraboards with assigned off days. Some agreements get you 6/2 and 5/1. GTW guys are 5/2 all around.

As far as I know we're the only one that has assigned off days on extraboards. It's also a guaranteed board. The trainman life is not for everyone. You'll hate being on call and hate not being able to make plans.
>>
>>1212841
I should add what you're thinking of 6 on 2 off is only if you work all of those days. If you go more than 24 hours without working your starts "reset" and you go back to 1. The 48 hours off is mandatory federal rest.
>>
>>1212841
>>1212843
So it would pretty much mean I wouldn't be able to guarantee a specific day off every week.

I don't mind being on call 24/7 (I essentially am now), the only thing that would bother me is giving up essentially the only hobby I have.
>>
>>1212844
Yes, you'd give that up. If that sounds like a lot, this life never was for you.
>>
Assuming you're American, what about commuter rail?
I'm more coming from a European perspective, where conductors (guards in the UK) are still employed on regional rail lines.
>>
>>1212835
BNSF gave most TY&E people 7 days a month they could take off, 5 weekdays and 2 weekend days assuming you weren't on a rest cycle. If you tried to do both you'd always violate the availability policy so each month you had to make up your mind at the beginning of each calendar month what you wanted to do. I preferred picking my days off.

Enjoy getting furloughed each year and having to wait 5 years before you get to 100% pay.

Job sucks
>>
>>1212881
>Waiting 5 years to reach 100%
Geeze, I was 90% through training and immediately went to 100% after catching my first conductor assignment.
>>
>>1213253
>>1212881
What do conductors actually do? Most people tell me you need to be incredibly fit to do it, but nothing in my research makes it seem that way
>>
>>1213255
Today I switched about 300 cars in a flat yard using a beltpak. You're jogging along pulling pins, climbing on and off cars, tying hand brakes, lining switches, and really just switching cars. You'll also be on road trains just chilling in the cab. You'll be on the ground when pulling and spotting industries too.

For me, there are few road trains and it's largely industry work and switching cars. I prefer that greatly.
>>
>>1213257
So it's not a job for fatties.
>>
>>1213258
There are plenty of fat people that do it, but it's way better if you're at least a little in shape. There is at least one person I work with who is really too fat to do the job. He literally cannot get on and off a moving car to save his life. He struggles enough when they're stopped. He's an accident waiting to happen, though.
>>
>>1213255
On commuter rail in the USA they mostly collect customer tickets, give seat checks. They open/close the doors. They deal with customers and their questions and bs. They are responsible for making sure all passengers detrain. A rear brakemen conductor also communicates wit the engineer(driver) and helps him know when he is lined up properly, helps him back into stations if the engineer is on the opposite end. One of the conductors also manipulates manually operated switches when a train is yarding in a yard with no automatic switches.
>>
>>1213258
They don't give a fuck in the corrupt rail industry.

Alot of engineers(drivers) in Northeastern American rail lines after crashes have been exposed in court as being so fat they have sleep apnea and other health issues, and they were still railroading. I heard some NJ Transit engineers though bitching about their required medical tests, so it seems finally the corrupt do nothing FRA got on the railroads to lean on their fat unhealthy engineers.

Sleep apnea crash kills 4 in Metro North crash in Bronx:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sleep-apnea-led-to-deadly-metro-north-crash-ntsb-1414508407

44 NJ Transit engineers have sleep apnea:
https://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2017/11/nj_transit_sidelined_44_train_engineers_the_people_who_actually_drive_the_trains_over_the_past_year_after_testing_required_in_the_wake_of_a_september_2016_rail_crash_in_hoboken_found_that_they_suffered_from_sleep_apnea.html

Holy fucking pathetic....

NJ Transit ignored sleep apnea of engineer that caused 2016 Hoboken train crash that killed 1 person:
http://hackensack.dailyvoice.com/news/doctornj-transit-ignored-engineers-sleep-apnea-before-fatal-hoboken-crash/732508/
>>
>>1213270
>>1213267
Passenger service isn't railroading. Go away.
>>
>>1213253
Nope, I was lucky and hired on at the crest of the wave and they were giving us 100% immediately. Can't imagine starting at 75% AND having to pay for your training. Not worth it

Also the only way to advance into management is to kiss everyone's ass and start as a trainmaster, which is a shitty fuckin job, worse in many ways than TY&E.
>>
>>1213287
Trainmasters are just shit catchers everywhere. I'm content being a trainman and substitute yardmaster.
>tfw I got paid a days pay as a brakeman and yard master in one assignment the other week.
Trainmasters will be hard pressed to make as much as I will this year.
>>
>>1213273
Are you the samefag that won't admit what freight railroad you work for?

4chan = land of outcast nerd cowards and bullshiters.
>>
>>1213297
Maybe. :^)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.