[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 41 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest - Submit Designs Here

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~48 hours. Apply Here

File: eccentric-chainring.jpg (1.38 MB, 2592x1936)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
biopace get
>>
File: 1473767872983-pol.jpg (107 KB, 720x597)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>1222222
Impressive, very nice.
>>
My guess is it’s a 1986 Schwinn Tempo with newer wheels.
>>
>>1222222
>worries enough about efficient power transfer to use meme ovoid chainrings
>installs them on a limp-noodle old steel frameset that may as well be made of rubber
>"How come I'm not any faster?"
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig, OP.
>>
>>1222240
You just insulted steel on /n/, I hope you are adequately prepared for the massive wave of incoming butthurt.
>>
>>1222240
Columbus SL.
>>
File: explodingknees.jpg (54 KB, 700x700)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
pictured: >>1222240
>>
>>1222247
Is this post implying that biopace is required to avoid any knee injury?
>>
>>1222249
no. biopace fucks your knees up.
>>
File: bravo.gif (883 KB, 300x169)
883 KB
883 KB GIF
>>1222249
>>
>>1222240
With cycling, there's the good kind of knowledgeable boomers who've been riding since they were young, and then there are newfaggot boomers who should kill themselves
>>
>>1222253
Does this post have a purpose?
>>
>>1222255
Does this post have a purpose?
>>
>>1222256
lol mad
>>
>>1222255
Normally the arrogance of boomers is accompanied by experience. That makes boomers good to have around. But when it isn't, when they took up cycling as a boomer, these boomers seem to be incapable of replacing the experience they lack, with humility.
I'm sick of being lectured by smug boomers who've been riding for less time than I have.

If you're a boomer, and you're not atleast retrodouche-sympathetic then I know you're a newfaggot boomer. You didn't ride when you were young. Good on you for staying fit and healthy, but just shut the fuck up.
>>
>>1222258
lol mad
>>
>>1222263
I still don’t understand how your ranting is relevant to this thread.
>>
>>1222255
>>1222256
>>1222258
>>1222264

butthurt bois
>>
>>1222265
ranting about boomers is always relevant
>>
>>1222269
That’s called ageism, please leave your bigotry at the door.
>>
>>1222265
i believe it was meant as ad hominem in order to refute the claims made in this post >>1222240
>>
File: ladypedes.png (659 KB, 944x4013)
659 KB
659 KB PNG
>>1222271
t. ladypede
>>
>>1222273
/n/ is a progressive board, I’m honestly offended that you would associate me with a Republican president.
>>
>>1222271
Boomers are white. White people should be slaughtered down to the last.
>>1222240
Biopace wasn't made to increase power transfer, stupid white man. It was made to put less stress on knees while mashing.
>>
>>1222273
based boomers
>>
>>1222232
Those are the stock wheels. I have a Tempo in the same color scheme.
>>
Here’s my 1989 Tempo, guess what’s missing?
>>
>>1222352
Oh look everyone, it's NICOLASV without the name and tripcode! EVERYONE, GET HIM!
>>
>>1222263
Ah bite me. Oval chainrings are a meme and you all damned well know it, otherwise everyone would be using them, hell they'd come standard on new bikes. If that wasn't bad enough then putting them on an old lugged steel bike just makes it a pure troll-bike.

Oh and by the way? I've given out tons of advice for the last few years around here without a name or tripcode, could go back to no name or tripcode, and you'd never know the difference, so how about (You) STFU?
>>
>>1222439
a 2nd bottle cage
>>
>>1222454
>xyz are a meme, otherwise everyone would be using them and they'd come standard on new bikes

alright let's hop aboard this train of thought and see where it leads us: please name for everyone 1 thing that is not a meme.
>>
File: poster_opt.jpg (157 KB, 540x752)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>1222222
nice get
>>1222240
>>1222243
>>1222253
>>1222454
>>1222461

chimming in... i just got here but i had a steel miyata (white / silver) with 52t biopace for a few years leading up to 2012 till i turned it into a single speed. It was clunky heavy mess with terrible ride characteristics even with new whees and tires.

My cheap modern aluminium merida road bike with plain ass SORA groupset and look cleats is so much more faster nimble and comfier its insane.

Then on top of that i have ridden current year 15k Chiponelli's and just sadly cant justify the price.
>>
>>1222240
>installed

uh, think that was stock bud
>>
>>1222439
decent tires
>>
>>1222271
>Talking shit about boomers
>Bigotry
Pick one
>>
>>1222469
i'm going to ad hominem this poster right away by posting the aforementioned "comfier" bike: >>1221546 >>1221561
>>
>>1222439
- lugs on fork
- 2cm
>>
>>1222263
The are even pro Boomers

That dude from GCN show didn't even know how to friction shift lmao
>>
>>1222472
those Serfas slicks have had problems with rubber separation. my lbs wont sell them anymore. look nice tho and other serfas are ok.
>>
>>1222454
>Oval chainrings are a meme and you all damned well know it, otherwise everyone would be using them, hell they'd come standard on new bikes
It degrades shift performance on 2x bikes, especially if you ovalize enough to make a difference. All of the old oval chainrings don't have the fancy tooth profiles and pins and ranks. SRAM sells 1x chainrings and 1x oval is pretty popular.

> I've given out tons of advice for the last few years around here without a name or tripcode
It was probably shitty though.
>>
>>1222454
>hell they'd come standard on new bikes
They did come standard on new bikes. Biopace was extremely common. That picture is the stock chainset for that bike.

Further, now, the leader of the pro peleton uses non-round chainrings.

You simply don't know what you're talking about.
>>
File: TAKE THAT.png (730 KB, 882x1400)
730 KB
730 KB PNG
>>1222454
Youuuuu stuuuupiiiiid faaaaake boooooomer they were standard on bikes in the 80s and you'd know if that if you were really a boomer and not a dumb zoomer. You'd also know that they only failed to remain standard because Shimano's marketing was disastrous.
>>1222469
Yeah, BP is crap for large chainrings but it was really nice for small ones. The shape meant that during the power part of the stroke, you'd effectively be in a lower gear. It's nice for mashing (which at the time was the pro af style with everyone mashing along in uselessly large gears), and saves the knees a bit of stress, but it fucking sucks for spinning as it makes the motion feel jerky. It became sort of common for touring jerks to put a BP 26 on their triples, with round 36 and 46 chainrings.

The Osymetric and Q rings that some pros now use are oriented so that when you're in the power portion of your stroke, you're effectively in a higher gear, which some think is useful because it's making use of power that they'd otherwise be wasting, or something. You can rotate a BP 90 degrees to get the same effect. Which is likely useless.
>>
>>1222439
Di2?
>>
>>1222240
Depends on frame-sieze, a sieze small steel frame is reasonably stiff, a sieze large or extra large not at all.
>>
>>1222548
Frame flex has very little impact on power transfer at non-sprinting wattages anyways. Even a time trialist putting out 400w isn't going to notice steel flex.
>>
>>1222549
Again, it depends verry much on frame sieze.
A friend of mine rides a steel frame of about 70-75 cm and that thing flexes like crazy, while my 52 cm doesn't realy flex at all.
>>
>>1222571
It depends on tubing too. 75 is ridiculously large, most steel seat tubes don't even come in that length. 75 is XXXXL.
>>
>>1222576
Yea he is ridiculously tall, that guy is like 2,10m (just under 7 foot for burgers)
>>
File: IMG_20180804_144921.jpg (1.41 MB, 3330x2516)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>1222222

Post more Biopace.
>>
>>1222524
you have that totally backwards.

if you ever ride a bike with biopace and try spinning backwards, youll find your feet slingshotting through the top and bottom of the pedal stroke because biopace simulates being in a lower gear during the power deadzone (when the crank arms are vertical) so that the momentum of your pedaling carries your feet through it with lesser resistance.

resultantly, biopace works no differently from how you've described the functionality of the osymetric and q rings: namely, simulating a higher gear in the powerstroke. the perspectives from which youre describing their benefits (ease mashing in the deadzone, take full advantage of physiology in the powerzone) equate to the same thing.

p.s: to my knowledge you couldnt even rotate biopace by 90 degrees anyway.
>>
>>1222524
>Youuuuu stuuuupiiiiid faaaaake boooooomer
Your autism is showing. How many times a day do you sperg out like that? All the time? Tourettes?

I was riding a tenspeed from a thriftstore in the 80's because in 1980 I was 15 years old, I wasn't riding any new bikes, I was a broke kid like most kids, so how the fuck would I even know that?
>Shimano's marketing was disastrous
Well then if I'd've even gone into the one bike shop in my little town I'd've not even seen that then most likely.

You really need to calm down, Anon.
>>
>>1222624
that build is fuckin gross m8

>those rims
>that pletscher rack
>that safety lever
>that bar angle
>fuckin gatorskins
>>1222644
except biopace was standard from like 85-90, so you would've been 20-25. Had you known anything about bicycles then, or now, you would know biopace was stock on a huge amount of bikes in that time.
>>
>>1222659
That bar angle looks correct, what do you think is wrong with it?
>>
File: 10-77-sprite-27.jpg (115 KB, 800x531)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>1222659
why are you hating on pletscher racks now? they're highly aesthetic on the right sort of bike
>>
>>1222659

Ill give you enough the rims if the color isn't your fave, but what's wrong with the gatorskins and the rack? Bike is a commuter so the rack is nice to have and I've got about 4k mi on those gatormemes without flatting so I'll probably be buying some new gatormemes to replace them soon.
>>
>>1222662
drops should be level with ground
>>1222664
yeah as in not a fixie
>>1222665
it's not the colour, it's the deep section cheap ass stereotypical fixie rim
as for gatorskins they have shit traction and feel as if you're riding a solid tire
get a real rack if you're commuting
>>
>>1222671
your post consists entirely of vain aesthetic complaints and has nothing to say that is backed by practicality or good fitment.
>>
>>1222671
lol this post reeks of someone who spends more time talking about bikes online than actually riding them
>>
>>1222671

>Be me
>Commute daily for 6 years on Gatormemes, no complaints. Somehow manage not to wipe out everyday.
>Autisimo sees gatormemes "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!!!"

>Be me
>Use pletscher rack for commuting for 6 years daily, no companits. It is a goddamn bike rack and holds my shit, like igaf.
>Use it to haul 30lbs of dog food at least 1x a month.
>Autisimo sees rack "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!!!"
>>
>>1222673
>>1222674
>>1222676
ok bud but your bike is still wack af
>>
gators suck dick
>>
>>1222680

What do people recommended for stronk commuter tires in lieu of Gatormemes? I care very little about how things ride on a 9mi commute and will gladly sacrifice ride for durability.
>>
>>1222681
Marathons are the go-to.
>>
>>1222624
Disgusting
>>
>>1222681
>I care very little about how things ride on a 9mi commute and will gladly sacrifice ride for durability.
>>
>>1222681
i've been using vittoria revolution g+ with reflective sidwall. no dead ride feel like marathons, very good puncture protection, noticeably grippy but not obscenely hard to push. i use 35s, which i run around 4 bar for plush commuting feels.
>>
>>1222681
Hey man 9 miles is a pretty serious ride for most people here
>>
>>1222626
My info on how BP works comes from Zinn https://www.velonews.com/2014/06/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-biopace-chainrings-and-other-gearing-questions_331304

I have a bike with it (specifically 105 triple from 1988...the shape of BP is different according to application and the tier. 600 would be rounder than what I have) and the slingshot feeling that you describe is there, because the leg that's putting down power is getting thru the stroke faster than it ordinarily would due to the gear being shorter. I really dislike it though, except in the granny ring, as it makes me feel like I'm bouncing in the saddle. The dead zone at the top feels weird as shit, like the cranks aren't engaged.

You can rotate them, at least according to https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/853091-rotating-biopace-rings.html
I haven't tried.
>>
>>1222686
Those ride even worse. They're good for being out in Africa or some shit but around civilization I go with Pasela PTs and Challenge Strada Biancas.
>>
>>1222624
Looks okay. Hope it's a pleasant ride for you.
>>
>>1222703
These look nice. I have a set of mezcals on my MTB that have been stellar. I might have to give them a go
>>
>>1222681
I use Conti 4seasons, and they are ok
>>
>>1222222

They really did make you go faster.
>>
>>1222659
You do realize nobody really fucking cares, right?
>arguing with me about old obsolete bikes that should have been recycled into something else
None of that crap matters anymore. If you're even remotely relevant your bike is aluminum at minimum, CF if you have any money to spend at all. Nobody who matters cares about ancient steel tenspeeds with meme chainrings. Enjoy your antique hobby all you like but don't pretend it's relevant.
>>
>>1222681
I love Pasela PT's, but I can't claim they have better flat protection than gators or marathons, they just roll way better
>>
>>1222681
Most of you who complain about tires seem to complain about them because you somehow believe that all the punctures you get are the fault of the tires. The tires don't steer the bike or have a brain in them to decide things, the rider does. I, too, go through phases where I seem to get punctures several times in a week, and it pisses me off, but I don't blame the tires, and it never lasts anyway. You have to PAY ATTENTION to where you're going, stay on the pavement, and not run over shit in the road, ever. You'll sometimes get punctures anyway but that's just the way it goes, put sealant in your tubes or get Slime tubes if you like, but otherwise you just put up with it like everyone else and stop raging all the time and blaming the tires. Pretty much any tires will work fine for the way most of you ride distance-wise so don't over-think it, just get some decent tires and accept that Shit Happens.
>>
>>1222933
daily reminder steel is more durable than CF and more comfortable than alloy
daily reminder there are many sub 9kg steel bikes
daily reminder your dinosaur coffee shop rides are not the end-all be-all of cycling and no one in their right mind would try to do any actual practical cycling on CF
>>
>>1222681
Don't be a cheap asshole. Get Marathon Supremes 700x35. You'll get zero flats roll fast af

"Cyclists" that cheap out on tires have everything backwards
>>
>>1222945
Daily reminder that pro riders are on CF not steel
Daily reminder that nobody cares that steel is deprecated in spite of process improvements
Daily reminder that you don't know shit about my cycling experience or the 9 years I've been training and racing

Blow me, kid.
>>
>>1222954
who gives a fuck what the pros ride?
Steel is a more practical material for every day riding. I have a CF road bike that I barely even take out. My steel touring bike is a much more practical and comfortable option for pretty much every ride I go out on
>>
>>1222957
>who gives a fuck what the pros ride?
People who are relevant. xD
>Steel is a more practical material for every day riding.
{citation needed}
>I have a CF road bike that I barely even take out.
Sure you do.
>My steel touring bike
Read as: rusty 80's tenspeed from the thrift store. xD
>..is a much more practical and comfortable option for pretty much every ride I go out on
Read as: you're poor and this is all you can afford. xD

Listen buddy, you can enjoy your old steel bike all you like, but don't stand there telling people it's better than anything that's newer technology and expect to be taken seriously, because it's just plain not true, nothing you said that doesn't apply specifically to (You) is accurate. If steel was so great, the Pro tour riders would still be on it, but they're not, and that's the yardstick this is all measured by. There's perferctly awesome touring bikes that are CF, you just don't happen to have one. Maybe you should sell your other bike and buy one, never know you might even like it. ;-)
>>
>>1222957
>>1222954
obvs Al is superior
>>
>>1222940
like some rambling old fuck that just drones on and on but says fuck all.
post less.
>>
>>1222518
>It degrades shift performance on 2x bikes, especially if you ovalize enough to make a difference.

I don't doubt the shittyness of oval chainrings but people do still use them who are people other than those who can't afford a new one.

Froome rode an oval shaped ring in the TDF mountain stages this year.
>>
>>1222624
>>1222624
>He rides a one brake bike but also rocks a turkey wing

lol
>>
>>1223029
I'm just saying why they aren't mainstream. Oval chainrings are very popular on 1x, and the end of biopace coincided with round rings, shift ramps and pins, and STI/trigger shifters which kind of need it. Everyone running Q-rings and stuff knows they're trading shifting performance for it.
>>
>>1222965
The pros ride CF because that's what their sponsors give them, so that their sponsors can turn around and sell cheaply-made plastic to dumb old men who pour money into gear (in multiple senses of the word) to prove they still got it.
>>
>>1222957
What carbon bike do you own and have you ever averaged faster than 15 mph on any single ride longer than 10 miles?
>>
>>1223076
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX and I can ride 40 km in under an hour using that bike with shallow wheels.
>>
>>1223083
So you’re a fred that doesn’t race if your touring bike is more practical?
>>
Not really sure who to side with here, I hate retrogrouchism for the sake of retrogrouchism, but I also hate people who act like organized bike racing is good or racing belongs on /n/ or that one's opinions on bikes don't matter unless in the context of an organized race

I'll make it simple, all of you can go fuck yourselves
>>
>>1223086
I'm not actually the guy you responded to
>>
>>1223089
Then why did you respond at all

>>1223087
>I also hate people who act like organized bike racing is good
What did you mean by this
>>
>>1223094
To bait a response but the response was massively underwhelming.
>>
next year State Bicycle Co. should sponsor every team so the TDF is done entirely on fixies

then we'll see who among the 'pros' are the real professionals
>>
>>1223109
The UCI already “holds back” cycling technology according to plenty of people. How are the currently legal bikes skewing the level of the playing field?
>>
>>1223111
you don't understand the meaning of the word 'professional'

which is, if Pure Cycles hires you to mash one gear up a mountain and spin out at 250hz going down it for a month, then you do it.
>>
>>1223117
I don’t understand the entire premise of your fantasy, because it’s retarded.
>>
>>1223121
no, you don't understand because it is you who is retarded
>>
>>1223124
Good job explaining why your stupid idea isn’t stupid. Must be stupid.
>>
>>1222240
>shitposting this badly
>>
>>1223032
Why is this contradictory?
>>
Why is there not more Biopace posting itt?
>>
>>1223187
not him, but on one hand, you've put effort into modifying your bike, and on the other hand, you haven't removed the garbage suicide levers which would normally be first on the list when modifying a bike
>>
>>1223192

I like them tho. Unless I'm riding in the wet they have plenty of stopping power. Since it's a commuter bike I've mostly just replaced shit with whatever I want to put on it after it breaks.
>>
>>1222439
anti-seize on seatpost and stem
>>
File: IMG_20161215_063011.jpg (1.41 MB, 2992x4000)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>1223194
To clairify, the fixie conversion was driven by winter commuting, not to strive for some hipster cred.
>>
>>1223196
whatever lad, you do you. Personally, i'd run two levers with nice rubber hoods, one as a dummy, not for hipster cred, but because it's far more comfortable, and the braking would be better.

ignore this because you don't care about hipster cred, but i really like the colour of your frame btw, reminds me of classic cinelli paintjobs.
>>
>>1223194
I like the audacity of running turkey levers, myself, but I agree that you should run a second lever (and, ideally, a rear brake) for aesthetic symmetry & the (occasional) hand-resting spot that the lever body provides
>>
>>1223204

Fair point on the additional hand position. Tho to actually get comfy on the hoods I'd probably prefer to have a different bar entirely. The wierd 70s shape of this one feels pretty off to me for hoods riding and I didn't find myself using it at all when I did have 2 levers.
>>
>>1223160
You clearly and objectively don't know the difference between shitposting and objective truth and genius, you should be bowing down at the feet of that fine gentleman for taking the time to impart his wisdom upon you all.
>>
>>1223087
>I'll make it simple, all of you can go fuck yourselves
Then leave /n/. The Mods have time and time again refused to delete threads or comments about bike racing or training for bike racing, and your attitude sucks ass and brings down entire threads, so clearly you should go fuck yourself, go to R E D D I T or somewhere else, and not shit up 4chan with your cranky-pants hissy-fit 5-year-old tantrum bullshit. Or go play on the freeway with a blindfold on, either way GTFO and stay out if you don't fucking like it, faggot.
>>
>>1223045
Fee Fie Fo Fum, I smell POORFAG!
>I'm going to talk shit about things I can't afford so I don't FEEL bad about it!
Oldest trick in the book, you're so utterly transparent. You do realize everyone can see that, right? You're letting your pride get in the way of your brain.
Really, Anon, it's okay, most people around here are poorfags. You don't need to be such an edgelord about it.
>>
>>1223083
What's your FTP in W/kg, then?
>>
>>1223361
I'm guessing that the 53 Boomer is an alcho and just likes to get drunk and shitpost
>>
>>1223408
There's no such thing as a non-alcho boomer. Hell, it's like their life mission is to shitpost both in person and on the internet these days
>>
>>1223362
~4.8 W/kg
>>
>>1223416
>~4.8 W/kg
If you say so.
>>
>>1223408
>>1223413
>completely lacking in personality or imagination
No wonder you can't get girlfriends.
>>
>>1223446

I know you like bikes and appear to know what you are talking about but let me remind you that tripfags are cancer. If you are as old as you say you are think of usenet. People were shitting up the place on an epic level but they were doing it anon. If you want a screenname go to Readit or get an AOL activation CD.
>>
>>1223446
nah, you don't know what you're talking about and please keep the trip so i can ignore you
>>
You know if it really came down to it and if I was forced to be stuck in a room for a full 24 hours with a choice of 53yo boomer, sieg, or nikolasv, I'd pick 53yo boomer if I can't choose to blow my brains out or pick baconrider
>>
>>1223087
Retrogrouches at least find what they like and stick to their guns, you just stick to sucking cock. Fucking faggot get off my board you slow weak motherfucker.
>>
>>1223358
>shitposting this badly
>>
>>1223558
>autistically repeating the same thing over and over again *ad infinitum*
Just another version of surrendering, like baseless insults. You clearly have nothing of value to say so why even post?
>>
>>1223480
t. boomer
>>
>>1222273
>60 year old boomers

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.