[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 14 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest - Submit Designs Here

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~48 hours. Apply Here

File: united dc6 denver.jpg (1.18 MB, 1800x1178)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
how do i get into airline jobs?
I'm 21 this month and I've only ever had summer jobs, all related to warehousing and some trucking so flight kinda appeals to me. going places and transporting things/people, working close to or on big vehicles in a big industrial looking environment, etc.
I just want to finish my degree (comp eng, I dont know if i actually want a programming job) but in the meantime for summers what could i be doing? applying at my airport to see if I could be one of those luggage-driver guys out on the airfield? play flight simulators? I'd wanna be like, on the aircrew in eventuality. flight attendant seems mostly related to waiter/waitress or hospitality type jobs, which isn't really me.
I mean again I am in school for comp eng meaning i'm at least not a total brainlet (though my gpa sucks) I could eventually learn about more technical aspects of things. physics and stuff, yaw pitch roll, idk.
if anyone has any type of flight related job what was it like to actually get into it, one thing I've read is that theres sort of like a period where you don't go out much and you have to bid for more desirable trips and only seniority helps that.

someone on biz said i'm already too old to get into the profession. 21 isn't old r-right? I'd have a lot to learn but im just trying to focus on having a job i could see myself having for an extended period of time (as in my life, you know, a career), something fulfilling and challenging to my level. everyone has their own quirks and preferences. i think the technology of modern logistics and transportation is fascinating and flight would be super cool to work in. maybe it's too exclusive or something and I wouldn't be able to though?
>>
The best way to get the training you need to get an actual career vs just tossing luggage is to either join the Air Force (you will be an officer since you are college educated) or to get certified as a pilot. 1300 hours I believe but someone else should be able to tell me.
>>
> Get some confidence, a pilot needs loads of it
> Ramp agent :
Physical job, well paid (in regards of the qualifications level), no prior experience needed. You'll be around aircraft all day when you're not in the basement sorting luggage. You get access to air crews, so if you're not a total retard you can chit chat and get the inside scoop on who is hiring, what their training has been like...
BUT it's a dangerous job, you can fuck up your back, ears, eyes... So be careful because you don't want get disqualified when you pass your medical exam

> How to be a pilot:
1) Air Force

2) Private school : expect to spend 80-100,000€, some have partnership with airlines so you get a job, some don't so timing is key if you don't want to graduate jobless and in debt

3)"One step a time" : get a job, pass your PPL (9000€), build hours, study for ATPL, pray to your God

4) Buy Prepar3d and your favorite plane and fly once a week because you don't want to spend a decade of your life grinding away for a mythical job and gold bars on a jacket when in reality it's a fuckton of work and responsabilities

20 is fuxking nothing, you're still a kid in most people's eyes. I know 38-40yr old who just started studying their ATPL
Don't sorry about time, worry about money. You'll need lot of it

> How does a plane fly ?
> With money, paperwork, and more paperwork
>>
Don't steal a plane and try to barrel roll it
>>
Once you're in the industry in an operational sense it's easy to move around as it's such a large expanding industry. I am currently studying a bachelor of Aviation Management/Business hoping to go into an operational role.

I've spoken to some industry professionals with an airline i'm hoping to work with when i graduate. A lot of management/business students lack the mathematics and computer skills needed.

Specifically if you got good at linear and integer programming you should be able to find some grad roles.
>>
>>1223465
1500 hours for an unrestricted ATP (airline transport) license in the US. However you can start working as a commercial pilot with as little as 250 hours total time and the idea is that you find a paying flying job to pay for the rest of your time to build.

>>1223460
So to answer your question, get the following ratings in this order
Private Pilot License--->Instrument Rating--->Commercial Pilot's License, Single Engine Land--->Commercial Pilot's License, Multi-engine land--->(optional but recommended) Certified Flight Instructor rating--->ATP (which will be paid for by whatever regional you successfully get hired on with.
This is all obtainable in a year by the most dedicated and lucky but I'd say 3 years is a more realistic goal. Oh and you're about 60k in by the time someone is paying you to fly. Yeah, it's expensive. That being said its the best investment I've ever made. Do it.
>>
>>1223482
not OP but is there any way to get selected with one of the big airlines without going to a regional?
>>
>>1223482
you forgot the college degree
>>
>>1223482
Why everyone goes the Instructor route? I don't want to teach
> 3 years
What the fuck, it takes 15-18mo'ths to PPL, are you talking full time ?
>>
>>1223811
It's the best way to get the 1,500 hours and it looks good on the damn resume
>>
>>1223460
A ground crew position just opened up at SEA-TAC, >>1223412.
>>
>>1223482
>>1223465

The 1500 hour rule was put into place after the Colgan 3407 crash right? The one that screwed over a whole lot of people training to become commercial pilots.

> Air Force (you will be an officer since you are college educated)

Not 100% sure but I believe that becoming a commissioned officer in the U.S. armed forces nowadays is extremely difficult, due to the defense cuts that originated from the 2011 debt showdown/sequester. Plus the drawdown in Iraq/Afghanistan (and not executing a full-on intervention in Syria) means the armed forces are transitioning from "combat" mode to "garrison" mode; there just isn't as big a need for COs right now. And apparently the Air Force is the most competitive of the service branches not just for the commissioning programs (OTS; as for the service academies, Annapolis is more competitive to get into than AFA) but also for enlistees. You need a really high AFQT score just to get in.
>>
>>1223490
Military service or a disparate (alot more) amount of time flying for a charter operator or a freight forwarding service (small cargo).

>>1223490
The majors are starting to slack on their requirement for a college degree and the LCCs are really not seeking it at all from what I've been hearing from peers.
>>1223811
Instructing is the easiest way to make minimums for other timebuilding jobs for someone who didn't have the good fortune to have an airplane to build time in for less than what a 172 costs wet. Most commercial jobs that aren't instructing look for 500 hours or more, unless you're good at networking the best way to go from 250 to 500 or more is to instruct.
>>1223900
The military isn't the fastest way to do it and it just illustrates the point that there ISN'T a fast way to do it. You have to enjoy flying enough to make sacrifices throughout your 20's, but with the labor market how it is right now it has not been better in a long time.
>>
>>1223465
Is it possible to get into the military/air force with -2 eyesight? I've heard you need 20/20 eyesight but I see plenty people in the military with glasses.
>>
what's it like for any aircrew job on commercial airliner in terms of sleeping and living in general; like they fly around all day and end up in some random airport that might be across the country from where they live? do they just get a hotel for that night, and isn't that expensive if they do that like every night?
I know some truckers just sleep in their trucks, you can't exactly do that on a plane.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.