[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

ITT: Defunct airlines thread. Let's remember the great airlines of the past that are no longer with us. I'll start with Eastern Airlines.
>>
File: lorenzo.jpg (5 KB, 120x144)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1254579
Nothin personal, kid.
>>
File: 1737.jpg (128 KB, 760x507)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
CP Air
>>
File: 0409633.jpg (416 KB, 1024x665)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
>>
File: 57033_1092038799.jpg (157 KB, 1024x787)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>
Not the greatest, but the first airline I ever flew with so they hold a special place in my heart.
>>
Swiss air. SwissAir 111 bursting into flames and craashing into the ocean at the speed of sound doesnt tend to help and airlines' reputation.

pic related
>>
File: BOAC VC10.jpg (120 KB, 1200x720)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>
File: TWA st louis.jpg (193 KB, 1024x626)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
i will never not be mad about what happened to them.
>>
File: Eastern A300.jpg (325 KB, 1024x675)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
never flew with them but I'm a FLfag
>>
technically not defunct. But they dont exist anymore...
>>
>>1254944
Carl Icahn is a monster for how he treated TWA.
>>
>>1254972
the worst part is that it wasnt just TWA. that cunt went on the sabatoge more rail projects then i want to remember.
>>
Air Berlin. Now Lufthansa has a complete monopoly in central Europe.
>>
File: cp767.jpg (161 KB, 1024x704)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
I always thought their livery was awesome. Their commercials seemed classier to me than Air Canada.
>>
File: ValkyriePassenger2.jpg (21 KB, 960x576)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1254579
>>
>>1255309
Damn shame though, was looking forward to flying with them from MIA and I remember seeing one of their A330s in ORD
>>
File: 7658916966_1596c391ac_b.jpg (162 KB, 1024x684)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
NAH NAH NAH.

ENYA.

NAH NAH NAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFONMBl94Ow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPxEgLCHzhc

(you had to be aussie in the 90's to appreciate these intense feels)
>>
>>1256003
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFONMBl94Ow
This gave me quite intense feels despite not being aussie. I used to like Enya when I was a kid (around 90s) and the air to air footage is beautiful.
>>
>>1255314
It's really too bad it died. Canada really needs more competition on international routes.
>>
File: Trump_Shuttle.jpg (65 KB, 960x422)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
“We’re going to win. We’re going to win so much. We’re going to win at trade, we’re going to win at the border. We’re going to win so much, you’re going to be so sick and tired of winning, you’re going to come to me and go, ‘Please, please, we can’t win any more.’”
>>
File: 1920px-Oasis_Hong_Kong.jpg (91 KB, 1920x934)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
> Not much chance to be great
>>
>>1256109
> Not given a chance to be great
>>
>>1256106
kek
>>
File: Great-Lakes-Airlines.jpg (91 KB, 1000x500)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Any other Lakers on here?
>>
>>1256188
I have plenty of friends that were. Saw them all the time at KDEN when I was working ramp.
>>
>>1254579
MALÉV Hungarian Airlines

>Like a childhood sweetheart lost to cancer: not the most perfect of all, but for you she was all that and some more. And now, even though you have become an old, ugly, hairy man, and you only truly remember her nose, and that blessed feeling when you were with her...when you think of her, that - old? ancient? did it really happen just a few years ago? - scar on your soul flares up, and you just want to cry like you have never cried before.
>>
>>1254593
MODS
>>
>>1256243
I flew with Málev once. It was from Dublin Airport to Odessa, Ukraine via Budapest. It was on the Fokker 70, and that was a very nice aircraft. This was back in 2009, so I don't remember too much.
It was a nice airline, but even then, it was on shaky footing financially.
Hungarians only have one issue, they're not the most friendly to foreigners, including westerners.
>>
>>1254619

NW had the best logo
>>
>>1256255
Just like cancer, its finances made the tragic end inevitable. Does not make it less sad for me and many of my compatriots though.
I am sorry that you had such an experience with Hungarians, but I guess flying to the Ukraine had put it into perspective eventually. Just kidding - partially, at least. You see, I live in the States, while spending a lot of time in Hungary and Russia. Cultures and their base level of neutral behavior are different; for that matter even St. Petersburg people behave differently from Moscow people, but one can bring up for example NYC and the South in the US. I, for one, do not believe in the great equalizing power of the motto “keep smiling”. But when in Rome...it’s just not to be forgotten that the ever-smiling used car salesman does not love you, unlike your grumpy uncle, who in fact does.
>Hungarians have gotten better dealing with foreigners, or much rather: advanced in globalism, so I think you would have better experiences if you gave Hungary and its people another chance these days.
>>
>>1256262
The last time I was in Hungary was 2012, and I was only in the Budapest area. Málev had ceased operating then, but the airport still had a lot of their logos and marks throughout the terminal.
That time I flew with Lufthansa from Dublin Airport via Frankfurt Airport.
Hungary at that time was not going through a great political time (it still isn't), and there was a very unpleasant and authoritarian feel around then.
Budapest is a beautiful city, and I have to say that I like the Metro and the tram network. I also quite like the MÁV, which I've traveled with more outside of Hungary than inside. Regardless, I guess that Hungary just has a troubled national history, one which always seems to side with authoritarian regimes.
>>
>>1256265
I prefer not to get into politics on this board. I understand and respect your point of view (even though I most likely would not agree with you regarding most questions related), and I appreciate your accepting approach to our national history and mindset.
And above all of this: I am positively delighted that - regardless all of the reasons you potentially could harbor reservations - you do enjoy visiting Hungary, Budapest, and you like its public transport system. I hope you will keep returning, and once upon a time in the future, unknowingly, but we will sit next to each other at the bar of a ruin pub in Budapest, sipping some excellent pálinka. Cheers, my friend!
>>
>>1254619
This hurts the most. Flying on them between Japan and the USA was great.
>>
>>1256188
They were they only airline to fly from Cheyenne. The stopped 7 months ago.
>>
British Midland International.
BMI used to be the UK's other airline, based out of East Midlands Airport instead of London. BMI were the alternative to British Airways and they were the only airline in the UK to properly serve all the major UK cities, connecting them to hubs like Manchester Airport where you could get a connection onto a Star Alliance airline like Lufthansa, Continental, Air Canada or whatever.
In 2012, British Airways bought out BMI, took over all the A320s, sold all the A330s and gutted the rest of the airline.
Now, the only option you have for connecting onto international flights in the UK is through British Aiways, which has recently moved to budget airline practices for short-haul flights, or FlyBe onto a codeshare with some other airline.
It's now a more pleasant experience to get a flight from a European airline like Lufthansa or KLM than it is to go through a UK hub.
>>
>>1256379
BMI also used to fly long haul as well in their A330s, but with British Airways having taken over BMI, those long haul routes were either cancelled, or absorbed into British Airways slots.
British Airways has done more to harm and destroy the UK's airlines than any government.
>>
>>1256382
BMI also ran a budget airline, bmibaby, which operated on 737s. It was a reasonable budget airline, and it at least did its job pretty well of providing domestic flights in the UK as well as tourist focused flights.
After British Airways took over BMI, they disolved and dismantled bmibaby.
>>
>>1256384
The only aspect of BMI which British Airways didn't gut was BMI Regional, which focussed on smaller airports and served them with smaller regional jets or turboprops.
That branch was made independent and rebranded as flybmi, which still exists today serving regional airports.
It's such a shame that BA managed to totally destroy their rival by taking it over and then destroying almost everything of it.
>>
>>1256291

I know, I used to fly for them.
>>
File: TWA 747-200 final livery.jpg (1.29 MB, 1600x1096)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>
>>1256384
best budget flight I ever went on was with bmibaby.
>>
>>1256479
F
>>
File: eu6swob1h5nz.jpg (166 KB, 1703x1119)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
No Pan Am on this thread?
>>
File: AirFlorida.jpg (173 KB, 1596x1092)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>
>>1256763
kek
>>
File: flat,550x550,075,f.u6.jpg (41 KB, 550x344)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1256872
Don't forget about the Aries Ib.

The only airline in Space 2001 to not go defunct was Aeroflot though. Makes you wonder....
>>
>>1254658
that was a scary one

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.