[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
05/08/16Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!
[Hide] [Show All]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cafe-bmo-marathon-men-s-charity-sexual-violence-assault-1.4057052

>Five community organizations are expressing concern that a Canadian registered charity associated with the men's rights movement is participating in the annual BMO Vancouver Run4Hope marathon.
>The Canadian Association for Equality Vancouver branch is one of eight community charities involved with the annual run.
>Each year, run participants ask sponsors to donate to any of these organizations, which are listed as community charities. There are also national and official charities from which to choose.
>The men's group says it advocates for men and boys. Johnston says CAFE is an "evidence-based" organization that gets its statistics from neutral organizations such as Statistics Canada, and is not sure why his group draws such fire for trying to shine a light on male mental-health issues.
>"We are not making up numbers here," he said.
>But critics disagree.
>"This organization pushed their agenda by perpetuating information that is not accurate in regards to sexual assault and domestic violence that happens across Canada," said Greg Oudman, executive director of the Vancouver-based Health Initiative for Men.
>Run Vancouver sent CBC News a statement in response, which read in part "Charities are not sponsors of the Vancouver International Marathon and their participation in the marathon should not be construed as an endorsement by the marathon."
>"Nonetheless we take seriously any and all concerns brought to our attention and will review this matter thoroughly to ensure that our guiding objectives are indeed being fulfilled."
>BMO did not respond to CBC's request for an interview.
>According to CAFE's website, its mandate is to "[achieve] equality for all Canadians."
>>
>CAFE obtained registered charity status with Canada Revenue Agency in 2014.
>In 2015, the group unveiled a controversial billboard campaign in Toronto that said half of all domestic abuse victims are men.
>CAFE has also been banned from Ryerson University in Toronto and the Toronto Pride Parade, among others.
>Recently, a representative from Run Vancouver told the organizations that signed the protest letter that their concerns would be addressed at an upcoming BMO board meeting, according to Oudman
>"There's an attitude about men's rights that it's a misogynistic group of people that are antagonistic towards progress that women have made," said Johnston, who insists that CAFE does not seek to minimize or de-legitimize women's issues.
>His group has started a petition asking people to support CAFE's inclusion in the marathon.
>"People are threatened by the idea that men can suffer too."
>Johnston said the proceeds collected from the marathon would help fund legal aid for men and the creation of a centre for men and families.
>Clay Jones, with White Ribbon, a group that encourages men to become involved in fighting violence against women, said he was surprised Run Vancouver accepted CAFE as a charity despite its history.
>"It's really important for corporate-backed organizations to do their due diligence and make sure that they're working with organizations that are doing good in the community," Jones said.
>"It is important to highlight issues that men face, but it needs to be done from a holistic framework and not from one that blames feminism for a lot of the ills that men face right now."
>>
>>130382
>"It is important to highlight issues that men face, but it needs to be done from a holistic framework and not from one that blames feminism for a lot of the ills that men face right now."
Kek, this is my favorite part. Feminists opposing any group that supports male victims of DV or cares about men's issues, while also telling those groups to stop blaming feminism
>>
MRAs are pathetic tbh
>>
>>130391
you're even worse

grow some balls
>>
Haha, this is amazing.
>>
>>130395
You seriously think giving pity-bucks to help some beta cuck that managed to get beaten up by his wife is "having balls"? Man up.
>>
>>130399
I dont think men should go to jail for getting beaten up by their wives when they were passed out drunk.
I have seen this happen
>>
Unfortunately there are groups that use charity as a front to push a political and ideological agenda unrelated to their charity work.

For example it sounds perfectly acceptable that a billboard should exist bringing light to domestic abuse of men.
But doing a bit more research, the billboard itself is a bit more controversial:
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/03/13/15/Cafe-Poster.jpg

If the billboard said "There are no domestic violence shelters dedicated to men in Canada", that's an understandable matter for any charity to address.

But the billboard instead decides to talk about the share of shelters dedicated to men as opposed to women, it is framing the lack of resources available to men facing domestic abuse as a problem of too much attention being paid to domestic abuse of women.

I would not want a charity involved in a fundraising event when its mission contradicts that of other charities. Even if it was a charity supporting domestic abuse of women.
If your charity's tagline is essentially "X gets too much attention. Lets divert some of that to Y", when both X and Y are serious and we can afford a reasonable amount of attention for both, is not acceptable. Even if Y is men and X is women that should hold true.

We have a pattern of news stories that sound outrageous but every time people do any digging there is always more nuance than meets the eye. Like that kid who got into Stanford after one of his admissions essays was just "#blacklivesmatter" repeated over and over. Yeah, that's outrageous if that's why he got into Stanford. But do a bit of research and it becomes obvious he more than deserved admission given his talents and credentials.

Maybe feminism is truly the devil. Using men's rights as a vehicle against feminism is a common enough pattern that it wouldn't surprise me that this sort of sensationalism is exactly what groups like CAFE are hoping for.
>>
>>130404
>But the billboard instead decides to talk about the share of shelters dedicated to men as opposed to women, it is framing the lack of resources available to men facing domestic abuse as a problem of too much attention being paid to domestic abuse of women.
What's wrong with that? It's not saying "we need less shelters for women" it's just pointing out that although half of DV victims are men, men don't have any shelters. Pointing out that men have 0 shelters is an important issue. The common response to that (especially from feminists) is that men aren't victims of DV or are only very rarely victims. So pointing out that overwhelming number of studies show men are about as likely to be victims as women is important to show WHY we need to help male victims too.

>Using men's rights as a vehicle against feminism is a common enough pattern
Men's rights only became a vehicle against feminism AFTER feminism became a vehicle against men's rights. In the 70s and 80s MRAs wanted to work with feminists, and only became anti-feminist because feminists were opposing them on everything. Including trying to help male victims of DV. Hell, the world's first battered women's shelter was founded by a woman who later became an MRA (and anti-feminist), and every time she tried to help male victims of DV it was feminists that opposed her
>>
>>130407
>it's just pointing out that although half of DV victims are men, men don't have any shelters.

But there's no purpose in mentioning the number of shelters dedicated to women at all as a point of comparison, other than to say too many resources are being dedicated to treating female domestic violence victims.
If you're interested in helping people above all, don't frame your charitable cause in contradiction to other valid charitable causes.
>>
>>130409
The billboard makes two claims:
1, that men are half of DV victims
and 2, that there are no shelters for men

What, exactly, is it that you object to? Are you saying that they shouldn't point out that men are also victims of DV, or that they shouldn't point out that male victims of DV don't have any shelters? You seem to be arguing against a straw-man where they say women have too many shelters, which isn't at all what the billboard says
>>
>>130391
>>130399
After the election I remember hearing a story about a woman running her husband over with a car because he voted for Trump. Anyway, since you sound like a Trump supporter, I hope your future wife/gf runs you over with a car so we can laugh at you for being a pathetic beta cuck
>>
>>130437
t. limp wrist robot
You don't need organizations giving you pity bucks for picking some psycho. You need to get your head out of your ass and find a sensible woman and be a sensible man in turn.
>>
>>130395
>>130399
>>130438
Fuck off to /fit/. Or go play some football. Your testosterone is stinking up the board.
>>
Can we all agree that any men's or women's rights groups are equally bad?
>>
I don't understand why feminists like to bash on men so much. Their attitude towards this is like "'Boo hoo I'm a man and I need help because I'm a wimp' Well suck it up! You are not a tiny defenseless woman that is beat up by her husband and being repressed" which is more sexist to be honest
>Oh but reverse sexism doesn't exist
SHUT THE FUCK UP. The day that a woman is presented to a man and a woman, both beat up by their partners, on idéntical situations and still be more worried about the chick, I will literally cut her nipples and shove them up her vagina
>>
>>130438
>>>130437
>t. limp wrist robot
>You don't need organizations giving you pity bucks for picking some psycho. You need to get your head out of your ass and find a sensible man and be a sensible woman in turn.

Wow. It really sounds like you don't care that women are the victims of domestic violence.
>>
>>130452

No, not really.

Feminism has long since become cancer and abandoned any notion of "equality" or "equal responsibilities".

What you're seeing from men is merely a backlash to the abuse suffered at the hands of feminists.

Personally, I don't associate with either of those groups, and most people around me don't give a literal fuck about it. Life in Eastern Europe is shitty as it is, no need to make it even shittier by bringing in feminism.
>>
Don't you people ever get tired of being outraged over what 0.01% of the women in the country who are hardcore feminists do?

Probably not.
>>
>>130399
You're a sexist piece of shit and you should kill yourself.
>>
>>130441
You lack discipline
>>
>>130472
The problem is that they are a group who has twisted their initial mission into a message of hate. Yes it is only a small number that is openly misandryst, but they still receive funding, support and are often times very vocal guiding members of the feminist organizations.

The problem with a lot of these groups is they seek reform without consequence. They want to push for "equality", yet give no metrics for when a society can be viewed as equal.
>>
>>130409
but that's just wrong, it combats the societal double standard that no one will acknowledge. That men are disposable and women are to be coddled and protected like chidlren.
Oh, there aren't enough women succeeding in this field? It must be sexism, lets impose gender ratio requirements and scholarships.
Women are almost exclusively represented in this field? WOOH, that's a win for diversity!
With how far feminism has gone from simply fighting for right to now simply trying to have social and state imposed advantages it's ridiculous and should be criticized heavily.
That makes me a filthy misogynist though. No no, I couldn't be an egalitarian when I want people to be treated equally, I must hate women.
You fucking shitfuck.
>>
>>130452
Activists are usually bad, yes. But it must be politically easier to have a "men's rights" activist group than an "anti-feminist" activist group.
>>
>>130472
>0.01%
T. Someone who's never been in a uni
>>
>>130404
It says nothing like that you absolute moron
>>
>>130492
its a dire statement of feminism when fighting for men to be treated equally to women in certain areas is deemed anti-feminism.
>>
>>130506
>T. Someone who's never been in a uni
Don't bully.
Educated people sometimes make up nonsense statistics too.
>>
>>130441
/fit/ here, we don't want him either. All the muscles in the world won't save you if your wife runs you over with a car or shoots you in your sleep.

>>130452
No. I don't know if I consider myself an "MRA" but from what I've seen, for the most part MRAs have been reasonable and at the very least they aren't anti-woman to the extent that feminists are anti-male.

>>130472
>0.01%
Well when those "0.01%" are writing laws and affecting policy, it's an issue. These are the feminsists who run universities. They have the Prime Minister of Canada and came close to winning the Presidency in this past US election. First they're a lot more than 0.01%, but even if you were right about that, it's almost 100% of feminists that actually have influence who believe this shit.
>>
>>130409
It doesn't mention the number of shelters dedicated to women though.

So...?
>>
>>130399

what a piece of shit.
>>
>>130407
that's because men don't need shelters, what kind of bitch goes to a shelter. men just become homeless and sleep in their cars, on benches or get a fucking hotel if you can afford it.
>>
>>130452
no. Men's rights groups are generally very reasonable and talk about legit problems

>>133855
What if you have kids and don't want to leave them with an abusive partner?
>>
>>130391
This make me think you like to see your gf get fucked by other men.
>>
>>130391
Not really, they actually have a ton of valid points but nobody bothers to listen to them unfortunately. I'd recommend watching Cassie Jaye's movie The Red Pill, you can stream it online and it gives a lot of good info about men's issues.

>>134148
>>130399
cuck-posters on the other hand, yeah they're pathetic and should probably grow the fuck up

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.