[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

https://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2018/01/02/free-speech-news-florida-to-introduce-legislation-outlawing-free-speech-zones-college-campuses/

The “Campus Free Expression Act,” filed in mid-December by State Senator Dennis Baxley and State Representative Bob Rommel, would restrict federally funded institutions of higher education from designating any area of campus as a “free speech zone.”

“Kids today…are being taught that it is wrong to express any views that may be controversial or don’t agree with the majority.” Tweet This

If passed, the bill would prohibit colleges and universities from imposing blanket restrictions on speech in outdoor areas of campus, defining those areas as “traditional public forums” open to anybody wishing to use them for free expression, as long as “the person’s conduct is lawful and does not materially and substantially disrupt the functioning of the public institution of higher education.”
>>
wtf

colleges not allowed to create loudmouth containment zones

must allow agitprop trolls to roam campus

smart move
>>
>State government tries outlawing free speech
I think they should read the first amendment to the federal constitution again.
>>
>>214450
>>State government tries outlawing free speech

I think you failed at reading comprehension.
>>
>>214450
I think what they're doing is making it so that they can't quarantine free speech to certain areas, essentially turning the entire campus into a "free speech zone"
>>
>>214461
I actually think this is probably a step backwards as on my campus a religious protester followed a student around all day calling her "Piggy nose piggy nose piggy snort" until they were forced to leave due to them leaving the Free Speech Zone. I can definitely see hundreds of thousands of pol tards telling every gay student to go to hell and not being able to be forced off campus
>>
>>214461
which is ridiculous

a college campus is not some sort of giant political rally site

people are trying to study and don't want antifa and the alt-right battling each other all over campus

keep it in your containment zone retards
>>
>>214359
I see Florida continues to fall apart
>>
>>214462
Following someone around and screeching at them is typically considered harassment.
Why aren't legions of poltards following random people on the street all day?

>>214463
Nah. I am sure the schools will still be able topunish people who act like chimps in the halls. This bill will just remove their ability to kick people out for thinking the wrong things outside of the 10x10 fenced in "free speech zone" behind the groundskeep's shed.
>>
>>214467
After 7 years of Rick Scott's leadership I don't know why anyone is surprised.
>>
>>214473
>Why aren't legions of poltards following random people on the street all day?
Because that would both require them to get out of the house and open them up to physical retaliation.

Harassment is only a crime if it is intimidating. It's not a crime if you merely follow someone around and shout offensive things at them.
>>
>>214476
Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person commits the offense of stalking, a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

“Harass” means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.
>>
>>214450

>he doesn't realize public colleges are government agencies
>he thinks public colleges limiting 'free speech' to certain areas is okay
>>
>>214477
If you have a political purpose for doing so then it becomes a "legitimate purpose."
>>
>>214487
Try it and tell me how it works out for you.
The legislation in the OP also mentions that it doesn't protect people that are disturbing classes. It certainly wouldn't protect someone who tries to walk into a class they're not paying for either.
>>
>>214462
>imagine gay people being verbally insulted
>how ever can they make it through the day
Oh sweetie, time was, thick skin was a badge of honor and a jumping off point for brilliant counter-insults. These kids aren't gay, they're spoiled brats.
>>
>>214477
>Willfully
Check
>maliciously
Debatable, malice usually insinuates some physical threat. Calling someone a doo doo head or a piggy snout doesn't count.
>repeatedly
Not there, doesn't count.

Grow a thicker skin you fat little piggy.
>>
>>214462
>I can definitely see hundreds of thousands of pol tards telling every gay student to go to hell and not being able to be forced off campus
That doesn't happen. It's the salt left that harasses people.
>>
>>214359
> trying to ban something that's already unconstitutional
Ah, Florida.

>>214462
Harassment is still illegal. Why would you intentionally stifle your rights?

>>214463
Colleges are supposed to allow the free exchange of ideas, and you need unabridged free speech to facilitate that.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.