[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

http://www.newsweek.com/trumps-silence-climate-change-threatens-our-national-security-755047

This article first appeared on Just Security.

This week, President Donald Trump released an “America First” National Security Strategy (NSS), a document that is supposed to represent “a dramatic rethinking of American foreign policy from previous decades,” according to Lt. Gen H.R. McMaster, the president’s second national security adviser.

Yet, the document omits any reference to climate change as a national security threat.

This is in contrast to previous national security strategies. In fact, the term “climate change” is not mentioned at all in the Trump NSS . This is wishful, wishful thinking.

Make no mistake: Simply because a threat is not addressed does not mean that it no longer exists. The ice in the Arctic does not stop melting, humanitarian disasters exacerbated by climate change do not cease, the drought crisis in Yemen is not solved, nor does the rising ocean stop threatening to drown military installations on the water’s edge.

Clearly, Trump has the authority and legal obligation, as commander-in-chief, to present his national security vision, whatever that may be. But the wholesale absence of the term “climate change” (first briefly mentioned by President George W. Bush in the 2002 NSS ) is a significant step backward.

By its silence, the new strategy document ignores the emerging military, intelligence, and scientific community consensus that has consistently and objectively stressed climate change’s growing threats to national security.

Indeed, the only discussion of climate is via a passing reference, which acknowledges that “ climate policies will continue to shape the global energy system ” in the context of economic security. And Trump’s NSS states that the United States will reduce pollution and greenhouse gases but only “ while expanding our economy.”
>>
>Hurricanes
>Floods
>Forest Fires
>Winter storms
Trump : climate change doesn't exist lol
God : How am I supposed to tell this dimwit to stop fucking up my creation?
>>
>>214458

"Trump bars Americans on Twitter but tells Iran to unblock social media sites" - newsweek

http://archive.is/d89rT
>>
>>214479

>the planet is heating up
>er, I mean the planet is cooling down
>er, I mean the climate is constantly changing

Imagine if you weren't a fucking retard, looked at the actual fucking facts, and realized "climate science" is no more science than sociology.
>>
>>214480
Trump can't ban people from Twitter. All the people in this Twitter exchange are retarded.
>>
We finally have a president that is putting an end to this pseudoscience liberal roller coaster
>>
>>214480

Because blocking liberals that spending all day calling you a shitlord is the same thing as preventing them from even accessing the site
>>
>>214482

>What do you mean most states are currently setting records for low temperatures this year
>It doesn't matter that hurricane frequency has actually been decreasing over the past three decades
>PAY YOUR FUCKING CARBON TAXES MY JET PLANE NEEDS FUEL AND IT'S EXPENSIVE TO RUN A/C IN THIS BIG ASS HOUSE
>>
>>214484

No shit. I was merely pointing out that Newsweek is far left propaganda and no longer any sort of respectable news outlet.
>>
>>214484

Those people were mocking newsweek for the dumbest fucking thing posted on twitter today. They weren't agreeing with it. Did you not pick that up?

>Trump sells MAGA hats but tells Iran not to force women to wear hijabs.

^ making fun of the newsweek propaganda
>>
>>214458
Trump Does A 180

In a surprising move by President Trump, he has announced a new, green military. The new plan calls for selling all small personnel vehicles with an mpg of less than 60 and replacing them with electric rice rockets.

Real news, please.

>>214479
>Hurricanes
>Floods
Neglect to mention that most states bordering the Gulf are already below sea-level
>Forest Fires
Neglect to mention that over the span of 2001 to 2016, California alone has had over 7,000 man-made fires, crushing New Mexico (~4,000) and every other state after them
>Winter Storms
Neglect to mention that according to all-knowing TIME Magazine that of the 11 worst snow storms in U.S. History, 9 of them happened in the U.S. Northeast, where lake-effect snow is a common contributor to the snowfall.
>>
>>214592
>Real news, please.
Real comments from real people instead of polbots and Russians would be nice.
>>
>>214482
>Climate and weather are the same thing, I can't encompass the fact that the world goes beyond my sight.
>>
>>214458
He removed climate change on all of his policies because of his alliance with coal (the deadliest fuel known to man). To acknowledge climate change as a threat to humanity is the same as acknowledging coal as the exact same threat; and he knows it.
>>
It would be nice if people could use the distinction between climate change and man-made climate change so we can get the discussion back on the rails instead of this petty 'ur a retard and wrong - no u' routine.
>>
>>214482
> and realized "climate science"
Climate science is physics. Try reading a paper sometime.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.