[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/trump-kim-conclude-historic-summit-in-singapore-live-updates-today-2018-06-12-live-updates/
President Trump declared success after a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that resulted in an understanding that Pyongyang would work toward denuclearization and the U.S. would end joint military exercises with South Korea. Mr. Trump and Kim signed a document agreeing to a handful of key provisions.

But the future remains unclear -- the U.S. and North Korea did not reach any agreement on the details of how to achieve or verify that denuclearization, Mr. Trump said. "We'll be verifying," the president remarked in a rare, extended news conference after the summit. Mr. Trump also claimed Kim told him North Korea has destroyed a "major" missile testing site, although he didn't expand on that.
>>
>>259470
The left is so angry about this.
>>
>>259501
>(You)
>>
>>259502
A few select children in the liberal media are trying everything they can to downplay this.
>>
>>259507
If this is such a great event why are you going into immediate damage control mode?
>>
Let's be clear. What actual effects did this have?

>First world leader to talk to NK leader
>US-SK exercises will end

What else?
>>
>>259519

Kim legitimized as equal to US President.
>>
>>259518
>Says the obviously assblasted anon
>>
>>259519
Well, if your just going by what both leaders agreed to there's also denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, return of all pow's, return of the remains to affected family members and end of the Korean war
>>
>>259501
Name some people then, anon.
>>
>>259537
You're right. That anon is absolutely shitting his lefty pants with liberal frustration. You tell us what effects this summit had.
>>
>>259519
>Trump getting overblown praise even though Kim started the summit in the first place
In a few months no one would give two shits about this summit, like Otto Wambier.
>>
>>259539
They signed a commitment, that's leaderspeak for 'yeah sure we'll get right on it'

It's the foreign policy version of a campaign promise. Nonbinding.

>>259535
Jebus I hope not.
>>
>>259550
>It's the foreign policy version of a campaign promise
Luckily trump keeps all his campaign promises
>>
>>259539
>denuclearization of the Korean peninsula
Same thing Kim said in April.

> return of all pow's, return of the remains to affected family members and end of the Korean war
Not in writing.

Still, have some hope for it - something actionable may yet happen after subsequent meetings, and Trump has put himself in a position where he's kinda boned if nothing happens, so he has every motivation to do whatever he can to ensure it does.

>>259571
Where's my wall and massive increase in infrastructure spending?
>>
>>259542
this >>259539
also, first ever meeting between an american president and norkie chairman/dictator/glorious leader
>>
>>259587
>Not in writing.
your stupid
>https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/politics/read-full-text-of-trump-kim-signed-statement/index.html
> The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new US-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.
> The United States and DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.
> Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula
> The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.
>>
>>259599
not 1 single thing nailed in this mumblepaper.
>complete denuclearization
winner is china. rororo
>>
>>259599
Its a letter of intent, they didn't agree to do anything specific. It's standard practice in political negotiations and is still a good thing, but it really doesn't mean much
>>
>>259599
Odd... Trump himself said Kim made that promised after they signed the thing, and wasn't in it, during his speech.

Well, that's something then.
>>
>>259643
I remember that too. He may have meant it wasn't in the press audience's copy, due to it being added during the negotiations, or some such.
>>
>>259635
/thread
>>
>>259587
>Where's my wall
They're working on it
>>
>>259665
Remember the promise was there will be a wall, and Mexico would pay for it!

Don't let the Master of the Deal cheat you.
>>
>>259666
nice try satan, but mexicos paying for it with tariffs
>>
>>259635
>>259659
you posted this already, samefag: >>259406 >>259456
>>
>>259673
As did you, we have two threads on the topic.
>>
>>259670
...you realise import tariffs are paid by the importer, right? That'd be an American buying Mexican goods.

And since we have a $59 billion trade deficit with Mexico, that's going to be the case more often than not.
>>
>>259679
Tu quoque, tho post
>>
>>259679
>As did you, we have two threads on the topic.
agreed, this gives you the right to be a faggot two times
>>
>>259715
yes, i think actual construction started in end of February 2018 or so
>>
>>259715
>>259716
Who's paying for it. He said Mexico would pay for it.
>>
>>259718
mexico is metaphorically paying for it by being raped by tariffs.
>>
>>259673
Kinda curious as to what he's on about. Nuclear Best Korea was one of China's best trump cards (pun intended). Granted, they woulda been screwed if it actually ended up in a war, but it wouldn't exactly be convenient for us either.
>>
>>259724
not sure.
China has a healthy trading relationship with best korea, maybe anon meant that it just improves china's trade situation by improving the economic stance of one of their trading partners.
or he could have just been salty and trying to come up with something negative to say about this.
>>
>>259723
Import tarriffs are paid by the importer.

We import more stuff from Mexico than we export, that's the whole reason Trump wants to reneg NAFTA.

Saying you pay for a thing with import tarriffs is a fancy way of saying the taxpayer pays for it without saying you'll raise taxes.
>>
>>259729
>metaphorically
do you understand what this means?
>>
>>259519
>world leader
>>
>>259519
Why do you think we needed something in return?
China is friend with North Korea already. We only needed to go prove to NK that we're on the same side.
Removing the US-SK exercise that NK see as a provocation did just that.
>>
>>259733
Doing something and getting nothing is a bad hand for the president. Makes it look like Kim walked all over him.

Negotiations like this are half policy and half optics. Unless Trump can claim a win with something besides a nonspecific 'commitment' by Kim, he's not going to be in a fantastic position.
>>
>>259736
Well, it's not a binding agreement, just the first step in normalizing relations and getting one. He apparently did include getting those remains back in the signing statement, and whether Kim does so or not, Trump is free to resume the military exercises.

Kinda wonder if Kim even has those remains though - hope he checked. I mean, it is the sort of morbid thing governments store, but the first days of the DPRK were pretty chaotic.

It's true though, given both Trump's and Kim's track records of sticking to agreements (and the fact that Trump violated the exact same sorta deal with Iran), yeah, this could easily fall apart.

Still, have some hope. Been a long time since there's been any in this particular conflict.
>>
>>259736
What about new friendship and stronger relations with China and Russia?

Our traditional "allies" have been backstabbing us. We need to seek better friendship and giving a little bit to NK is a small price to pay to strengthen relation with new allies.

We need this.
>>
>>259731
yes, that's exactly what he is, like it or not
>>
>>259738
Backstabbing how?
>>
>>259738
>China and Russia?
Don't see how being friendly with NK makes us bigger buddies with Russia.

>Our traditional "allies" have been backstabbing us
How? That 300% duty on Canadian cheese? Every country in the world protects their agriculture. Try importing corn to the US. or importing rice to Japan.

>We need this.
I'd say the world needs NK to stop being an antagonistic little shit of a country, yeah. But that's a general interest thing. We dont exactly need them as a trade partner. They export coal.
>>
>>259743
Look at the G7 fiasco.
Canada call it insulting that we defend ourselves against them. It might have been 100 years ago, but it doesn't remove the fact they still attacked us.
>>
>>259748
???
>>
>>259748
>100 years ago
Whaaat. I can't even.

Imagine if every country actually set foreign policy this way.

>Britain: FUCK YOU ITALY YOU INVADED US
>Italy: what?! When?!
>Britain: *points at Hadrian's Wall*
>>
>>259748
>100 years ago

1918? No, we were allies then too, we joined WWI alongside the British.
>>
>>259753
Forget that shit, Canada wasn't even a COUNTRY in 1918, they were a British colony.

What sort of insane history is this.
>>
>>259748
>>259759
Bad enough we have two threads on this topic - but the fact that we're seeing the exact same insanity in both is downright maddening.
>>
>>259767
>Bad enough we have two threads on this topic - but the fact that we're seeing the exact same insanity in both is downright maddening.
yes, but the point remains valid:
around canucks, never relax
>>
>>259864
That doesn't even rhyme. Go back to being wrong and >leafposting on /pol/
>>
Kim suckered Trump.
>US stops holding military exercises with SK (at the suggestion of PUTIN)
>All sanctions are lifted against them
>NK's national party is politically legitimate
>In return NK gives up their nukes
>Doesn't give a timeline or how it's done
>Doesn't even get the agreement on paper
Meanwhile Trump sets up a propaganda video glorifying NK that reporters thought was a video created by the NKs.
>>
>>259880
No sanctions have been lifted.
>>
>>259880
Do you honestly think that Trump is going to hold up his end of the bargain if NK isn't doing their part?
As you said, nothing is on paper yet. Nothing has changed yet. So far we only have a nonbinding verbal agreement.
>>
>>259738
>Our traditional "allies" have been backstabbing us.
I'm pretty sure it's Trump who's putting tariffs on aluminium and steel, not the other way around. Also Trump who quit the Paris agreement and the Iran deal.

>>259748
>Trump can't put tariffs on military ally
>Trump declare Canada a threat just to put tariffs
>People ask why the fuck did he declare Canada, of all countries, a fucking military threat
>Trump : "Oh, didn't you burn the white house once?"
That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. At this point, he could have claimed his dog ate his sanity it would make as much sense.
Also Canada didn't burn the white house, that was England. And what happened over a century ago doesn't mean it's a threat now.

As for the "backstabbing", Trudeau didn't change his mind. He had already said he was pissed that Trump would declare his country a fucking military threat before the G7. But Trump is too retarded to read a report, so he didn't know.

>>259754
>What sort of insane history is this.
See greentext.
>>
>>259571
Where’s that wall? And why is the swamp worse than ever? And why is Hillary still a free woman? :^)
>>
>>259914
>Where’s that wall
construction started in Februaruy
>why is the swamp worse than ever?
yeah its pretty bad
>And why is Hillary still a free woman?
really rustles my jimmies
>:^)
What the fuck did you just fucking use an emoticon, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with posting gay emoticon shit on 4chan? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>259930
Has anyone formerly serving in high office ever gone to jail, in all of US history?

Genuinely curious, as I can't name one. I mean Oliver North was convicted of treason *before* he served in high office, so that wouldn't count, as odd as it is, and didn't serve any time.
>>
>>259952
>Has anyone formerly serving in high office ever gone to jail, in all of US history?
>Genuinely curious, as I can't name one. I mean Oliver North was convicted of treason *before* he served in high office, so that wouldn't count, as odd as it is, and didn't serve any time.
>>256745
>Trump's legal team argues he's above the law
>damn straight he is.
>every major politician who has held office (and some who have tried) in the last ~25 years has been above the law
>bill
>george
>obama
>hillary
>donald
>all of them are above the law
>>
>>259952
>Oliver North
Always irked me, as I thought we had a thing about former felons serving in the federal government. But, at least it gave us a funny American Dad song.
>>
>>259965
Had two senators go down to Honduras and give the opposition a boatload of cash, after the White House declared the coup said opposition had done illegal, and nothing happened to them at all. That pales compared to anything Oli ever did under orders. It seems every decade we accept more and more blatant acts of treason.

Certainly no president today would be expected to resign over what Nixon did.
>>
>>259965
Felons cannot vote or buy guns, but they can hold public office. Go figure.
>>
Seals and Corps huh? So you did hell week and a half then?
>>
>>259983
Wow, this one really is fresh off the boat.
>>
>>259952
We're a young nation. It HAS happened in the West.

We should set the precedent at some point, it'll show the fat cats they're not invulnerable.

Don't care who, just as long as they're absolutely 100% guilty.

On the other hand what do you define as high office? A number of bigwigs in tj3 Nixon administration went to jail for Watergate.
>>
>>259990
Thinking federal Congress or higher (SCOTUS/POTUS, maybe even a Circuit Court judge.)

I think some state legislators have served prison time, *maybe* a governor or mayor of a major city (not verified, just vague memory), but I can't find a high federal official who has, off hand. Drunk tank or small amounts of "time served"/community service at best.

And yes, it would be nice, but I dun think it's going to happen (again, not absolutely sure it never has). I think they are pretty much a protected class.
>>
>>259995
Closest thing would be former Chief of Staff, H. R. Haldeman, and former United States Attorney General John N. Mitchell, both for Watergate, but best I can find, at the moment. Though, in both cases, they went on to become richer than ever, after they served their time, but I don't think either went back into office.

Ted Kennedy got a two month suspended sentence for drunk driving - lots of suspended sentences like that, as ya alluded to.

Plenty of criminals who served time before entering high office though (like, yes, Oliver).
>>
>>260000
>>259965
Technically convicted, but suspended sentence, no time served.

>wikipedia
>He was indicted on 16 felony counts, and on May 4, 1989, he was initially convicted of three: accepting an illegal gratuity, aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry, and ordering the destruction of documents through his secretary, Fawn Hall. He was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Gerhard Gesell on July 5, 1989 to a three-year suspended prison term, two years probation, $150,000 in fines, and 1,200 hours of community service. North performed some of his community service within Potomac Gardens, a public housing project in southeast Washington, DC.[29] However, on July 20, 1990, with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU),[30] North's convictions were vacated, after the appeals court found that witnesses in his trial might have been impermissibly affected by his immunized congressional testimony.[31]

As I remind my fellow conservatives, don't say the ACLU never does anything for ya.

Also, the ADHD version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFV1uT-ihDo
>>
>>259995
>*maybe* a governor
Illinois here. Trump is apparently considering pardoning the guy we put away.
>>
>America agrees to stop drills with South Korea
>North Korea "gives their word" they'll denuclearize, but aren't required to hold up their end of the bargain first
Holy shit, we literally just fucked ourselves over because of this summit. We have no guarantee that Kim will follow through. Trump again demonstrates he's a retard with no understanding of how diplomacy actually works.
>>
>>259981
That's by design though. If you didn't allow felons to hold office then a particularly corrupt public official could jail political opponents to bar them from holding office.
>>
>>260626
>>259981
...and actually felons can vote in most states but you cannot usually vote while you're currently serving a sentence. There's work underway to have felon voting rights automatically restored in the few remaining states.
>>
>>260623
>We have no guarantee that Kim will follow through
We can literally start drills again to apply pressure

>Trump again demonstrates he's a retard with no understanding of how diplomacy actually works.
Maybe he should have sent them a palette loaded with billions of US dollars

The left losing it's mind over peace will never fail to be hilarious.
>>
>>260626
>If you didn't allow felons to hold office then a particularly corrupt public official could jail political opponents to bar them from holding office.
lol politicians can not just order someone to be jailed in america, we are not that fucked yet. it still requires evidence and a guilty verdict from a jury of ones peers.
i wish politicians could just order someone arrested and a felon tho, i wouldnt have to deal with any stupid wapo and cnn articles any more, trump would take care of them
>>
>>260642
>We can literally start drills again to apply pressure
NK would complain, but that wouldn't really get them to do anything.
>>
>>260660
>but that wouldn't really get them to do anything.

So if the drills wouldn't get them to do anything, then they're pointless either way except for the value NK places on them, and if nothing else we can save the money. Cool thanks!
>>
>>260660
the drills have not stopped yet.
the drills will stop once steps have been taken towards denuclearization.
this was announced by US dept of state
>>
>>260660
>Drumpf is suck a cuck lmao he stopped drills before the norks did anything real
>get told we could just restart the drills and we haven't lost anything either
>lol no one cares about the drills nerd
I'm surprised anyone even bothered responding to this.
>>
>>260642
>i-it's 4D chess!!!
Keep telling yourself that, retard. Eventually, you'll realize that you should have supported Bernie rather than the orange cheeto.
>>
>>260706
we lose literally nothing by talking to north korea

the actual worst case here is they stiff us out of a few billion dollars again (america throws that much away on dead projects every month) and in the best case a few tens of millions of people will get to live in a real country
>>
>>260706
>supported Bernie
>supporting an "anti-establishment" candidate who sold out to the establishment and helped his wife defraud a college
lul
>>
>>260712
>we lose literally nothing by talking to north korea
this.
people just want to bitch because its trump.
>>
>>260721
Even when I agree with what Trump is doing, I switch to wanting to bitch about him after hearing him talk about it. The man cannot go though an entire without sounding like an massive idiot at least once.
>>
>>260721
kek. It just boosted Moon's position and help him continue to sell South Korea to North Korea
>>
>>260716
>shit that didn't happen
>>
>>260712
the gazprom russia-s.korea gas pipine is back on track after the summit, so russia benefits from this.
>>
>>260769
Those bastards, I can't believe they're forcing their cock holster, Trump to make peace with North Korea.
This is unacceptable
>>
>>260789
grow the hay yourself?
>>
>It was actually Xi that proposal to make Kim ask Trump to stop the military exercise, that China couldn't even dream about something like this would ever come true
Probably the reason why Trump and Xi are still "good friend" despite trade war
>>
>>260764
>implying Bernie didn't support Hillary, the poster child for an establishment candidate
>implying Bernie's wife currently isn't being investigated for defrauding a college
>implying implications

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.