[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: drainplug.jpg (3.4 MB, 4160x3120)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
Any idea what this yellow stuff is around the drain plug on my oil pan? It has the plug seized up on it and I'd rather not risk stripping the pan or the bolt?

Last fucking time I ever pay someone to change my oil.
>>
You have to get the plug off either way right?

Grab a socket and figure it out
>>
>>17872563
lol wtf

I guess just be ready to have to get a new oil pan if it tears apart.
>>
>>17872563
it's for tamper checking
so you don't drain the oil and blame the shop for killing your car
>>
>>17872563
Apply a torch first, then breaker bar or impact wrench.
>>
>>17872694
>it's for tamper checking
But it has the threads seized. That ain't right.
>>
>>17872705
Why don't you give the place a call and ask wtf it is and how to get it off.

>>17872697
This is probably what I would wind up trying.
>>
>>17872563
>Any idea what this yellow stuff is around the drain plug on my oil pan?
As long as they didn't use epoxy to seal stripped threads....
>>
>>17872570
>>17872584
>>17872697
I'd rather not replace the oil pan unless I have to.

>>17872719
I tried. They're closed until Tomorrow.

>>17873111
That was my first thought, maybe they fucked the threads on the pan and tried to hide it or something?
>>
>complaining about diff cheese

get a load of this newfag
>>
>>17872563
>Any idea what this yellow stuff is around the drain plug on my oil pan?

If it is brittle and chips off like paint, then it is security paint. If it is hard and resilient like epoxy or hardened plastic, then you can guess it is epoxy. Thread seals are all soft putty like materials and are not hard like epoxy.
>>
>>17873189
It's as hard as a rock.
>>
>>17873203
>hard as a rock
>epoxy
Sometimes the lube tech strips the threads so badly that only epoxy will keep the bolt in (short of a new oil pan which is what should have been done).
>>
File: disgusted2.jpg (10 KB, 297x200)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>17873213

>oil pan
>differential
>>
>>17872563
>pay someone to change my oil.
Who was it, Jiffy Lube?
>>
>>17873229
Rapid Lube...

Didn't have the time to do it myself and had to have it done before I left for a trip.
>>
>>17873182
>>17873228
Am I missing a meme or something..?
>>
>>17873277
Probably stripped by someone high and unable to tell if they are tightening it or over-tightening the shit out of it. Another thing is that sometimes, people will deliberately over tighten because they hate the employer and are going to quit soon. Or they know they will be laid off soon.

Places that don't do mandatory drug testing will end up having all the drug using employees that can't work at the other auto shops that do drug testing. My dealer has a sign that says their employees are tested.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.