[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 20180514_153434.jpg (985 KB, 2420x1815)
985 KB
985 KB JPG
Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread. I found an exhaust leak that might be causing a P0430 code. The gasket probably just deteriorated. I think the whole exhaust has to be replaced eventually but is there something I can use to "plug" the leak?
>>
Weld it you nigger
>>
>>19126143
unbolt it and replace the gasket
there is nothing you can stuff in the gap which will last for a decent time
>>
>>19126143
blast it with piss
>>
JB Weld.
>>
>>19126174
Then, you got tips for getting the bolts loose? I could replace them but I dont know where to start if i have to cut them off.
>>
>>19126233

Penetrating oil, heat, and prayer, mostly.
>>
>>19126233
heat until glowing red, need map gas
>>
I have a question. I just installed a new throttle body and now the car revs while changing gears (it's an auto so shifting into park, reverse, etc.)

Is this just everything getting adjusted or is my transmission having issues?
>>
>>19126304
throttle body needs to be calibrated. some cars will do this on their own and some need to be hooked up to a computer. google "throttle body calibrating procedure" for your car.
>>
>>19126174
>>19126241
>>19126277
this

or just cut them and replace them
looks like there is a nut and a bolt, not attached to the exhaust, even if it would be
cut and replace
>>
File: notmycar.jpg (104 KB, 1024x768)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
My clear coat looks like this in some areas and is almost gone on large sections of the hood/roof. I'm not concerned about how it looks but I'd like to avoid rust issues later on.

What's a good clear coat I can get at parts stores that'll last?
>>
>>19126388
sand the fuck out if it then spray some new clearcoat on it

wax the fuck out of it if you're poor
>>
File: 20180515_100921_HDR.jpg (750 KB, 3264x1840)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
What is the boxy car
>>
>>19126304
Tbh idk what yours but some bimmer with throttle body need reset procedure, no matter if it's drivebywire or older model driven with cable. Need some dealer software though they called it"reset adaptation"
>>
>>19126143
My exhaust is completely rusted but it's a 2016 car, is this normal? Live in New York with snow and salt and bad weather. I want to get a stainless steel exhaust that won't rust as bad as stock right?
>>
>>19126143
Do precat deletes create gas smell only at startup or always?
>>
>>19126602
Dont bother deleting cats they dont rob you of any real power
>>
>>19126613
>they dont rob you of any real power
Don't care. Just trying to get out of an $1,800 cat replacement.
>>
>>19126613
>Doesnt answer question
>>
Buy a tube of exhaust cement. Cheap and a relatively long term repair. Mud it in the rotted flanges while the car runs, and let it heat up and cure in about 10 min. I doubt being able to seal those with just a gasket, the flanges are very thin.
>>
>>19126443
x180 esprit turbo se
>>
>>19126443
looks like a lotus esprit or an RS200
>>19126550
surface rust is normal on exhaust where they use salt. Stainless steel that gets heat cycled can still rust, look at those barbeque element cover things
>>19126602
Sometimes, depends on exhaust velocity and wind. Don't forget to run an O2 sensor spacer, otherwise you'll have a permanent P0420/1 or P0430/1
>>
>>19126602
Sometimes at a red light you'll get exhaust smell type deal, usually only with windows down. I've only driven a few de-catted vehicles
>>
Question I have: My car manual states that the maximum HP output of the engine happens at 6,000 RPMs, while the Torque happens at 4,000 RPMs.

As I drive in a mostly urban, flat environment, should I strive to keep my engine running ~4,000 RPMs or should I drive around at an almost constant 6,000 RPMs? I ask this because, according to the tachymeter, the redline of my engine begins at 7,000 RMPs.
>>
>>19126174
This is true but sometimes an exhaust leak can be temporarily remedied by clamping a soup can around the leak. Maybe not in this exact spot though
>>
The underbody of my car is rusted to hell and back. I know the suggestion is wire brush everything and then replace any metal where the rust ate through it or it is otherwise no longer structurally sound and then coat it all, but that will take an extremely long time and has some pretty hard to reach spots. I know there are some liquids that eat rust like the one that guy used to restore his rusty old Volvo calipers. Would it be possible to take a gel that eats rust and brush it on to all the rusty surfaces? Or is my best bet literally disassembling parts of the car and spending days wire brushing rust and coating bare metal
>>
Why do all BMW and Audi drivers drive like crazy Italians??
>>
File: ௵.jpg (21 KB, 372x260)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Engine gets jerky at around 2000-3000RPM.
Car has LPG conversion and does it both on petrol and LPG, so it's probably not the fuel system.
Spark plugs have been changed recently, and so is the air filter.
Dirty mass airflow sensor perhaps?
>>
>>19126991
anecdotal, but my S13 had a similar problem for a while, took $5 and 10 minutes to clean the MAF and it went away
even if it doesn't fix the problem the investment is so low that you may as well just do it
>>
>>19126945
the thing with rust is
you start, and you keep finding more
if you don't do ALL OF IT
all your work will be for nothing....
>>
File: 20180514_201758.jpg (3.95 MB, 5312x2988)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB JPG
Im doing a manual swap on a 3.3l 1980 ford thunderbird (cougar)
and im trying to buy a mustang pedal box to put in it
https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-93-MUSTANG-CLUTCH-BRAKE-PEDAL-ASSEMBLY-5-SPEED-CONVERSION-W-QUADRANT-5-0-GT-/112978100414
Does anyone know if this will bolt up without much hassle
>>
File: 20180514_201700.jpg (239 KB, 1328x747)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>19127028
>>
File: Check-engine-oil-4.gif (17 KB, 500x267)
17 KB
17 KB GIF
If Im a hair below the half of the "o.k." line, should I add some oil?
>>
>>19127144

Might as well... The car won't die because of it, but spending $6 on a quart of oil is better than a blown engine if you let it get lower and lower.
>>
>>19126613
>Rob you of any real power
>Full boost by 3200 instead of 3900
Yeah, I'll enjoy full POWAHHH.
>>
Friend has a 2004 Expedition with turn signals that will flash a couple times then stop. Does that sound like the whole stalk should be replaced?
>>
>>19126143
how the hell do i avoid rust on my brake rotors after washing them?
>>
>>19127570

drive the car after washing it?
>>
>>19127570
You can’t.
>>
>>19127587
fuck thats what i thought, i heard there are some rust replant things you could apply, but i guess that would come off after a few drives.
>>
>>19127596

you could paint your rotors with high temperature paint on the hub and the edges
>>
>>19127599
is there some form of clearcoat i could use?
>>
Can you get temp plates without buying from a stealership? Being gifted a car but its a state over and a few hundred miles away. Plates are expired and id rather not drive on them. I can insure it right now, but i wont have the title until i get there.
>>
>>19127564
If the stalk is wobbly yeah. Otherwise just try changing the relays
>>
Its difficult to move the gear lever side to side in neutral and it needs a lot of force to shift but no grinding. It gets worse every day now I can push it to one side in neutral and it stays there. Friend said faulty gearbox synchronizer, idk if I translated that correctly. Opel Zafira 1.9cdti pls help what could it be?
>>
>>19127653
Apply for a trip permit my guy
>>
>>19127653
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/how-do-i-fly-somewhere-buy-car-and-drive-it-home-259139
>>
I need to drive to a meet 250km away and I don't wanna start cleaning off insects when I'm there. thought about just wrapping the front bumper with some cling film and rip it off when I'm there, any other suggestions?
>>
>>19126920
Neither. Working your engine at peak hp will give you dogshit fuel economy and a worn out engine, peak torque only means you're at the point where your engine is making the most power it can per Revolution.
>>
>>19126920
Adding on to what the other anon said:
Imagine running an entire marathon/5k/whatever and giving it your all the entire time. You are running at peak power, but youll literally run yourself to death. Same thing applies to your engine. You can drive at 6k constantly, wasting gas and stressing your engine far more than necessary, or you can do 3-4k and not kill your engine.
>>
>>19127708
>>19127726
Thanks bros, ive never even heard of trip permits before
>>
>>19127842
So, at what RPMs should I drive? The manual only says that, in the break-in period of my engine (the first 2,000 miles) I shouldn't go above certain speeds with some gears, but it never says the power band of the engine and the recommended RPMs for each gear...

Any suggestions?
>>
>>19127612
DO NOT put anything on the surface of your rotors. Not only will it rub off almost instantly but you're likely to crash and die or catch your brakes on fire.
>>
>>19127951
You'll feel the power band when you drive. Just turn off your autism for a day and drive it.
>>
>>19127832
drive through a car wash before you get there, dry it off as you pull into the meet.
>>
>doing an uphill section
>in low-power FR
>using one-lane because incoming traffic during day

>been doing some no brakes runs
>lift off throtle to slow down
>lane is kind of narrow but corner is kind of long
>car understeers

When I understeer, I brake to correct it, but then I end up slowing down too much.

I'm still practicing that section, so maybe a lighter brush of the brakes will correct without causing me to lose too much speed.

I'm considering entering with more speed, and trail braking a little, but I'm not sure about how well that would work because of how narrow the lane is compared to how long the corner is.

I'm thinking maybe I could lift off more aggressively to shift weight more aggressively, but I think I might need to take more of an inside line to compensate, but the road is narrow, as said.

Anyone want to help me develop a theory for attacking this section as quickly as possible in my car with my current setup?

This is a grip run, but it's on the lower end of the limit of grip.
If you turn up the volume, you can hear some tire squeel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAbCUOO1868
>>
>>19128023
That's the thing. I drive it, but since it is a new car and I have to let the motor settle, I don't want to force it, so for now I'm keeping it at ~2,500 RPMs -3,000 tops- but I'm nearing the end of the break-in and I have no idea if I still need to keep it in that range or if I can go to 4,500 RPMs without wearing out the engine early. Hence my first post.
>>
>>19128234
Are you asking if high revs will wear out your engine prematurely? Driving an engine harder will mean a shorter engine life with all things equal but I'd rather rering an engine i can actually use at 300,000km than babysit one all the way to 400,000km. If you have the money to buy new, I imagine you won't be keeping it that long anyway so who cares?
>>
File: TheMoreYouKnow.jpg (126 KB, 561x370)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>19127653
In my state it's legal to drive any vehicle purchased privately without a tag, but only if you're driving directly to the first place of storage.
Check with your state and the other state's legalities, or find somebody with a truck and trailer that can haul a car.
If you decide to drive it, get the title signed and dated as well as a piece of paper with the "seller's" signature stating it was purchased at XXXX time and date, and hopefully anyone who pulls you over will have some common decency, but make sure it's insured before you drive it or they won't be as understanding
>>
>>19126174
He tries to unbolt that, that shits going to fall apart.
>>
>>19126613
When they're clogged they most certainly do.
>>
File: 1335644793540.jpg (43 KB, 400x400)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>19127612
>is there some form of clearcoat i could use?
>>
>>19128198
I think I might be able to take the 1st corner flat out.
Depending on how much speed I carry after the first corner, I think I'll need to slow down for the 2nd corner.
Corner 2 is the corner I tend to understeer on.
In Corner 3, the slope gets steeper, so I've worked a little on delaying my lift off point to carry more speed, and working on getting on the throttle earlier on the corner exit. I've often loss traction getting on the throttle too much/too early on the corner exit, so I'm thinking I need to put more into the corner entry.
However, I'm not developing that much speed after Corner 2, since I tend to understeer in Corner 2.
I've stayed in 2nd gear through the whole section.
I'm not comfortable with downshifting into 1st due to lack of practice, but maybe that's what I need to do.
I aim for a late apex on Corner 3 for some reason, but I'm starting to question it now.

I tend to understeer in Corner 4, but after some analysis, maybe it's because the road seems to get more narrow at the corner exit, and I'm not as used to corners like that.
Maybe I need to roll on the throttle sooner on the corner exit.
It opens up befor the corner, but I'm not sure about how much time and space I'll have to utilize that part of the track more.

After some more analysis, maybe I can take corner 5 flat out, as well, or at least get onto the throttle a lot sooner.
>>
>>19128319
>if you are driving to the first place of storage
I figured lots of states would have laws/exemptions like that, but i wanted something concrete like that permit another anon mentioned. I dont trust cops to do their job or know the laws, i had an accident where the cop talked to me for less than a minute and the police report ended up being as far from what had happened as possible. Id feel a lot better having an official piece of paper saying "fuck you this is legal" than just "i googled it and its supposed to be legal"
>>
File: thimk.png (4 KB, 225x225)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
If one imported all the parts of an R34 GTR separately and rebuilt it in america, would it be legal?
>>
Had an exhaust leak due to removing and reinstalling the header on my 2008 Scion XB.

Brand new gasket, torqued down properly, everything done 100% correct.

Still an exhaust leak, sucks away the little amount of power I have to begin with.

Any other spots this can happen? The metal ring for the exhaust on the downstream side didn't look bad at all so I never replaced it.
>>
Best bang-for-your-buck floor jack and stands?
>>
>>19129258
No.
>>
>>19129271
Literally Harbor Freight.
>>
>>19129268
>Still an exhaust leak, sucks away the little amount of power I have to begin with.

How do you know? did a code come back after you cleared it?
>>
>>19129325
I can hear the hissing/sucking noise and the rapid tapping through the cabin still
>>
>>19126945
Any help?
>>
Did the 1955 Pontiac have an interior clock?

I tried googling it but the only results are collector's knick knacks that have nothing to do with the actual car.
>>
ordered rotors and pads as a set for my 300ZX front brakes, got them in and noticed the pads extend beyond the rotor surface, google brought up mixed answers to whether this is ok or not, if confused why it wouldn’t be since they came as a set.
>>
>>19126613
They do if they're malaise era GMs with the godawful pellet type cat.

t. owner of a turd gen that saw a ~40 hp increase with it removed
>>
File: Roof.jpg (356 KB, 2016x1512)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
bought this recently, the dude left it under a tree for probably 4 months without a wash. Does it need a full profesh detail/cut and polish, or would it be better to invest in the tools and do it myself
>>
>>19130237
I'd see where clay and compound gets you first before spending big bucks on paying a pro to do it.
>>
holy fuck my cars entire exhaust system fuCking fell off on my way home from work. cracked right at the catalytic converter inlet. So I'm on open headers at the moment. Will a muffler shop just fucking straight pipe this bitch?
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 575x324)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
So after a few months of owning my miata it started ticking, already replaced the oil, went away for a week and started again.
From what i understand its the lifters that need replacing

The thing is, the belt needs to be removed and same goes for the camshafts.
What do i need to look out for, prepare, etc to not royally fuck this up

Its the first time im going this deep into the engine and i admit im a but nervous about this

So anyone here done a lifter replacement before and should i do it on my own or just pay someone else
>>
>>19130331
lol, i bet it sounds great, what kind of car? and yea you could have them do that for you
>>
>>19130382
a damn 3 banger metro
>>
how expensive is it to make a 4 rotor rx7, and what's the handling like on them? are they heavy as fuck? i'm so curious how these cars perform.given that doritos take up little space and leave a lot of room for turbos and cooling systems (at least i think they do).
>>
>>19126395
This
>>
>>19130404
Roughly 317lbs for the shortblock while making 700hp NA.
>>
>>19130486
is that a significant slap on the weight distribution?
>>
>>19130486
I meant 700hp na on a peripheral port 4 rotor, street port makes 550hp na and 1000hp+ capable on boost.

>how expensive is it to make a 4 rotor rx7
If you can do your own machine work 12k, or you can buy a prebuilt for as low as 25k
>>
>>19130493

You'd be adding roughly 116lbs and it stick out 240ishmm past the strut towers.

You're honestly better off with a 20b, weighs 60lbs more than a 13b and is only 160mm longer in the front. And can make more than adequate power.
>>
>>19130506
can boost be put through a peripheral port, or only on street port configurations due to the compression ratios?
>>
>>19130237

Had the same on my car, clay didnt work that well.

I used fucktons of rubbing alcohol on microfibertowels first and lots and lots of fine polish on a coarse polishing pad, which i cleaned out all the time.

it sucks, but with a bit of luck, will come out
>>
>>19126143
This looks like a women's legs with leggings
>>
This might be a really retarded question but, does it matter which direction are bearing pressed in?

So, I've to renew the drum breaks in my '02 Ford Focus and those niggers at Ford decided to put the bearing inside the drum, so you gotta swap the only as a whole.
Since I don't have any access to a press and I have no idea what's the pizzaland equivalent of a machine shop is, I ordered drums with brearings already pressed in from the UK.
I was now inspecting the pieces and I notices that the bearing isn't a single piece, but instead split in half, with one side having a little bit more play than the other. Now the problem is: the bearing are pressed in different direction on both brums, one has the side with play facing the inside, the other outside.
>>
File: 1357399269356.jpg (60 KB, 609x676)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>turn key
>engine rotates slow as shit, sometimes not at all
already changed the battery and the negative leads which didnt really help, plus it happens mostly when the engine is hot which makes me think the starter ground is bad
i'll look at the starter next but does anyone have any ideas of what else to look at? the car runs 100% fine otherwise and my battery doesnt lose charge over time
>>
>>19130761
you know it legitimately sounds like a busted flux capacitor.
>>
>>19130890
my car is too old for those it uses regular electrolytic ones
>>
/o/, I've got a stupid fucking problem and need some ideas.

I need to move this dead Audi in a backyard. It's been sitting in grass for a couple years or so, and the tires have sunk in too far for me to push the car out, even after filling the tires. To make matters worse, the car is lowered and I don't think there's enough clearance now to get a jack under it.

As if that wasn't enough... more dead cars are blocking the only access into the yard, so I can't get another vehicle in there to drag it out. And there's nothing solid enough to attach a come-along to either.

What do? The only thing I can think of now is finding some kind of long/strong stake that I can drive into another part of the grass, and attach a come-along. Will that even work?
>>
>>19131116
Dismantle the entire car and move it in pieces, then re-build it somewhere else.
>>
File: imge.jpg (119 KB, 960x720)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
took car to stealership for a service because muh warranty overall shitty experience. getting emails from them and the manufacturer to review my experience. also wanting to contact the company about it too.
but can't quite figure out how to word my shit.

good points
- oil filter changed
- oil changed (through judging from the colour probably not totally flushed)

bad
-serive book not filled out
-turned my dash cam off at 13:44pm and turned it back on 15:08pm
- washed the car when I told them not to since I spent 3 hours the day before detailing it
- the time it took- 10:03 - 15:38
- and the cost they say 'fixed price service' but it was $100 more
- also getting charged $5.50 for a fucking screw - what fucking screw? every time I go to a dealer I get charged for a fucking screw.

how should I word my reviews and email to the company /o/ ??
>>
>>19131199
>-turned my dash cam off at 13:44pm and turned it back on 15:08pm
This complaint is just pure adulterated autism. You're being a completely unreasonable cunt.
>>
File: a4axtutpiin01.jpg (31 KB, 414x414)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>19131541
fuck you
>>
Where the fuck can I find this part for an MR2? Part # 4806817020 Lower Front Right Control Arm
>>
I got some squeaking in some rubber
that is attached to the spring dampner suspension,
to the front.
And some severe squeaking around the suspension to the back wheel, but only when liften of the ground. In example: To change tires for the season

Is there any particular oil/coating/paste i should apply somewhere?
>>
>>19126388
Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat
>>
>>19130689
For most bearings yes it does matter.
>>
File: crapola.png (2.38 MB, 2358x1142)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB PNG
Local shop did a J-B weld patch on part of my resonator assembly in order to pass inspection and it's last a whopping two weeks. Now, I'm driving a glorified lawnmower around and it's giving me migraines. I'm not going back to that shop and other places in the area have ballparked me ~$500 to replace the entire assembly.

Short of having a lift, how easy would this be to do on my own with ramps or a jack? It's $160 shipped from Rock Auto and I can't find a place that's entirely willing to do it only labor.

I'm also a degenerate and I kind of enjoy the leaky sound (lots of tunnels in my city), but I think I would regret muffler delete.
>>
>>19130355
Find a shop manual, anything cam related will mean that you have to do things in an exact order in order to not fuck your timing up. And seeing that it's a Miata there should be plenty of you tube guides in how to do it as well.
>>
>>19129271
Craigslist
>>
>>19130689
>ordered auto parts from UK
it'll probably cost more to return than they are worth, a total loss
>>
>>19131116
Get a shovel. Or get her started.
>>
>>19131819
Fairly easy. Just take off and put on. But get jack stands so you dont accidently die.
>>
>>19131116
part it out
>>
File: 1467766422206.jpg (52 KB, 640x632)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>19131199
I've NEVER filled out a service book, ever
shop policy was to unplug/turn off dash cams.
mechanics are rude cunts who talk shit all the time, inadvertently about customer cars sometimes, soft cunts like you might get offended. Its a shady practice, but i blindly did what i was told.
Washing the car is an issue with the service writer, valid point
taking 5 hours for an oil change is fine if you dropped the car off there for the day. If you were waiting on site, that'd be unreasonably long for JUST an oil change
Also the dealer about the "fixed service price" and the screw they keep charging you for
Bother the manufacturer and/or the corporate owners of the dealership, dont know what else to tell you
>>
>>19132388
"also ask the dealer about the "fixed service price" and the screw they keep charging you for"
my proof reading is shit
>>
This is probably a stupid question.... but can you drive a diesel like a gassed. Like, I have a little 2000 3.9l v6 dodge dakota and it handles surprisingly well it's fun to drive around. But eventually the tranny more likely than the engine will take a shit. I was wondering if it would be worth swapping a 4bt Cummins I know the weight of the 4bt would make it handle totally diff alone. But it would be a neat swap and dem empeegees. I know the more logical thing to do would be to 5.9 magnum swap sense it's seriously just a plug and play.... but....
>>
>>19131116

part it out or move the other dead cars then sell it for $500 on craigslist and have the buyer come take it

years back i had a old Toyota Hilux that didnt run and the rear diff was fucked, put it as $1000 cash you come get it and find a way to load it on a flatbed. sure enough some fucking guy gives me my $1000, attaches a Chevy rear diff with tie straps to the rear frame, loads it on a flatbed and off he went

if youre sure the engine and trans are good you can make $1k+ parting it out though
>>
I have an 87 MR2 and live in a wet climate

Sometimes I drive it in the rain and I noticed some salt accumulation around the positive terminal of the battery, under the aspiration vent

Looks like the battery is shorting on the stripped battery bracket when water sits on it. Should I get a new bracket, or something to cover it, or just ignore it?
>>
>>19131116
Go to home depot and buy an 8 foot 2be4 and jamb it under the bumper and use it as a sort of lever to lift the car up and forward
>>
>>19131199

i used to work in a small shop and not a dealership, but the dash cam thing was likely valid. people freak when they hear loud noises by their car when youre simply hammering off a seized rotor, that and guaranteed we rip on how dirty your car is and if its a piece of shit we laugh

the screw was probably the oil drain plug if it was fucked. the time is common, if we had a waiter oil changes took like 30min but if you dropped it for the day if you dropped your shit off at 8 you werent getting it back til 2-5pm

oil cant be "flushed", there will always be leftover old oil in the engine and once it mixes with new, it appears dark

the car wash thing would piss me off but honestly the rest is expected, 10 years in the trade was enough for me to never take my cars to a shop for work ever again because i saw the shit that goes on.
>>
I have a mercedes w202 from 12/1995, C250D (no turbo) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class_(W202)

The engine has unstable performance. Sometimes it goes like hell, sometimes I have to press the accelerator a lot and the car is slugish. I saw the section of known issue in that wikipedia article, makes sense to be that issue.

Does anyone know what is the problem? What parts do I have to replace to get a stable high engine performance?
>>
>>19132510
Acid accumulation around the positive terminal is normal, just clean it off periodically.
>>
My rear bumper is cracked and a piece of styrofoam is snapped with some metal pieces under the bumper a bit crooked. Is a rear bumper cover all i need?
>>
>dad wants to get a shit bluetooth speaker to put in his car to play his own music
>tell him to just get a new stereo because they're cheap and they'll have an aux port
>say stereo head instead of stereo or head unit
>he looks at me like I grew two heads and screeches at me because he doesn't know what that is
>despite using the word stereo when explaining to him what i'm talking about he couldn't make the connection
where did i go wrong
>>
Rattle in wheel area when not braking or accelerating hard.
Could it be wheel bearing or stuck piston caliper?
>>
>>19133266
Could be a lose pad or some debris behind the heat shield.
>>
>>19133310
If loose pad, do I sillicone spray the stuck piston or what do I do?
>>
File: 20180516_124839.jpg (811 KB, 1920x1080)
811 KB
811 KB JPG
There's no auto detailing general right now so I'll post this here.
What would you recommend for getting rid of these scuffmarks? They're on all 4 door handles, and I think it's not that the top layer of paint is scraped dull, but rather there is fingernail material embedded into the paint. Sorry for the pollen.
>>
Can anyone recommend me an Android Auto double DIN headunit that isn't a gorillion dollars?
>>
>>19132749
Yes but keep in mind another mild bump there could be catastrophic.
>>
File: index.jpg (4 KB, 225x225)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
The shape of my car's driver seat is incredibly uncomfortable to me and no amount of layering cushions on it seems to help.

Is there any specific brand or type of replacement seat that /o/ likes? I've never shopped around for aftermarket car parts before.
>>
File: 13794598.jpg (155 KB, 1400x1400)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>1913341
pic related works well on door handle and seat belt scratches.
>>
>>19133589
What you own will determine what is available with a mount kit and what you'll have to fabricate to make work.
>>
File: Screenshot_12.png (269 KB, 337x410)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>>19126143
Just bought a WRX with 150k miles. Owner says he doesn't think the timing belt has been changed...how long you guys think I can go before my shit gets fucked? It's not my daily
>>
>>19133175
Talking with a boomer
>>
>>19133689
Timing belts for most cars need to be changed every 60k
>>
My ARP wheel studs are losing their zinc coating. How should I protect them, clear coat? Salted road daily driver
>>
>>19133734
powder coat.
>>
I love the look of my car, but I do not love the gas mileage.
The vehicle came in manual, but the version I have is automatic, so one of the big things I want to do first is convert it to manual.

The engine is showing its age, too, and I'm wondering how a crate engine would effect gas mileage. A lot of crate engines are marketed to advertise the power you get out of them; what kinds are good for fuel economy, though?
>>
>>19133589
i'd recommend going to a speed shop of some sort and trying some out, that's obviously the best way to find something you like.
>>
>>19133758
Powder coat the threads, around retarded?
>>
>>19134053
Well considering you just told us absolutely nothing, its hard to say.
>>
>>19134144
They're called taps, clearly you don't know what they're used for.
>>
Are body panels interchangeable between similar vehicles? Can I swap the body panels from a Mountaineer to an Explorer? Could I swap the front end panels onto an Explorer Sport, or even a Sport Trac?
>>
>>19133728
subaru's 90k, toyota's 100k. the only car I've heard of that needs it at 60k is those early kia rios
>>
Looking for a service manual for a 2004 kia amanti, google is useless, and Haynes doesnt have that model
hoping for a pdf
>>
>>19134179
M20's are at 60k

Anyways if its not been changed and he's sitting at 150k then its way overdue.
>>
>>19134166
It depends on a variety of factors.

For example the front fender of a e30 Sedan and e30 coupe can but, neither will fit on a convertible.
>>
File: Mazda Stitch.jpg (152 KB, 764x679)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Tell me all I need to know before buying a used Manual 1990 Mazda 626, please.

Some information about how easy it is to wrench on and stuff about parts availability and aftermarket would also be nice.
>>
>>19134206
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/mazda-626--mx-6-automotive-repair-manual-front-wheel-drive-1983--1992-haynes-automotive-repair-manual-series_john-harold-haynes_larry-warren/1735858/?mkwid=std8Dir7b%7cdc&pcrid=70112903232&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIler1iqmL2wIVSWSGCh02owUsEAQYAiABEgJkZPD_BwE#isbn=1563923734&idiq=27251673

should be pretty easy to work on
link related is a haynes repair manual for your year. with it you can do anything from a brake job to a full engine rebuild. got one for my miata as soon as i bought it
>>
>>19134196
Is there any convenient way to check online, beyond driving out to a junkyard and finding out?
>>
>>19126143

Grind the head off the bolt/nut and knock the bolt out. Once separated replace the gasket, also that shit looks rusted as fuck so cover the gasket in high temp copper RTV so it seals. Let shit shit dry for 24-48 hours and it will seal.
>>
>>19126947
because it's fun
>>
I’m trying to apply a tint film to my tail lights, but there are small, jagged, circular marks on the casing from the manufacturing process. The marks are very slightly raised and will definitely keep the film from laying flush. I tried sanding them down a little bit but when I accidentally left some small scuff marks, I stopped. Any ideas what do do about this extra plastic?

>inb4 spray tint
>>
>>19134285
Go to a model specific forum and ask, or browse a parts catalog to see what part numbers match.

>>19134414
People who tint their tail lights deserve a swift kick in the balls.
>>
If a car I'm looking at failed emissions, then had it's catalytic converter replaced and passed emissions should I feel comfortable?

Also, it's been for sale at the dealership for about a year
>>
>>19134590
>should I feel comfortable?
You should never feel comfortable. How do you know it's passed emissions?
How do you know check engine codes wont come back because nothing was truly fixed?

People who make money often prey on the misplaced trust of those who are undeducated and unexperienced.
>>
>>19134590
>If a car I'm looking at failed emissions, then had it's catalytic converter replaced and passed emissions should I feel comfortable?
You should feel fine.
>>
>>19134603
The carfax report literally has it documented
>>19134609
Why?
>>
>>19134603
>>19134618
To make clear I haven't actually gone to the dealership yet, this is just from what I've done on my own, looking at the car online and getting a carfax
>>
>>19134618
>Why?
The problem was resolved. If you aren't comfortable, just take an OBDII scanner to see if it is OK.
>>
>>19134206
>>19134247
Thanks, but I'd like to know things like
is it reliable, does it have an engine with an infamous bearing that wears out after 150k miles, do wiring problems come up a lot, does it blow a lot of head gaskets, are the transmissions made out of paper, will it torque steer an unexperienced driver into a crowd, will it snap oversteer me into a tree, will it kick ass in a straight line or on the track with a few simple mods, are the spark plugs in a stupid and hard to get to place, how difficult would it be to find a transmission if lower my car and drive over a speed bump at faster than 5mph, will it be difficult to find a control arm if I'm running in the 90s into a curb by losing control of a hand-brake turn, etcetera.
>>
File: 1519183894524.gif (956 KB, 130x100)
956 KB
956 KB GIF
>>19134790
its a 20 year old mazda with an I4
front wheel drive
less than 130hp
no memes here
>>
My GF bought me something for my birthday, what is it? It's from Amazon, she claims car guys like it but she might get one for herself. And I somehow don't have this thing yet. I think it's mounted somewhere on the car. My best guess is one of those wide angle rear view mirrors
>>
>>19134575
Brighter bulbs to compensate; ends up a hair brighter than before
>>
>>19135120
Yet 90% of you fuckers don't take that extra step, either not bothering to properly LED's in or Melting your housings.
>>
How difficult is it to replace struts? I've seen a few videos of it being done on the Youtubes and it seems easy enough but I don't want to take the risk of messing up. I'm going to replace the brake pads and rotors soon so I'm contemplating do the struts as well. 2004 Saturn Ion by the way.
>>
File: strut.gif (7 KB, 600x524)
7 KB
7 KB GIF
>>19135603
2 large bolts hold the strut to the knuckle, usually 3 studs (or bolts) hold the top of the strut to the body. If you're using pre-assembled struts, thats pretty much it. There might be an abs wire or brake hose retainer on the strut aswell, but those are minor
If you are capable of doing pads and rotors, you can do struts no problem
>>
>>19135704
>>
Does an engine ever go "bad?" Assuming it's new always perfectly maintained, and the engine is rebuilt every x miles, will it keep going indefinitely? Looking took get an is300 with the iron block 2j ge, but all of them have at least 150k.
>>
>>19136067
at a certain point high wear areas need to be addressed, cylinders wear down over time, but that takes some time. i wouldn't be afraid of a maintained 2j at 150k. NA 2j's are dead reliable.look at GS400s too, 1uz's also go very high.
>>
>>19136296
Right on, thanks man
>>
starter is on it's way to shitting itself, would it make a difference to get one with a higher KW rating? my manual transmission has a 0.8kw starter but the autos came with 1.1kw ones
>>
>>19130355
just let them tick, no harm just annoying (if ur a babby)
>>
I WILL TRY TO MAKE IT SHORT

So, yes, still don't know does my question need a new thread, so i'll post here.

Dear /o/, i like cars, i drive a shitbox, i have a weird fantasy of DD'ing any of my affordable dream-cars.

Thing is - all my dream cars are special snowflakes and aren't nearly suited for DD'ing nor they are reliable.
To name some - RX-8, CL600 (c215 body), Lancer X Ralliart, Honda/Acura Legend Coupe (KA8 body).

So my question is - can i be considered normal /o/tist, or should i KYS BECAUSE FUCK OWNING A SHITBOX IS BORING AS FUCK.

Thank you in advance, dear /o/.
>>
I test drove this and it does ride pretty good, shifts good, engine sounds awesome. But I dunno, it looks really rough, especially in person. Is the price cheap or is this a total miss?
https://westmd.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-toyota-celica-supra/6585925924.html
>>
>>19137009
Condition is beyong any financial sence if you want to restore it.
I, personally, cant deal with it. But if you do really-really like it, adore and glorify the old supra - sure go for it.
>if you need an advice you're not ready for it
>>
>>19137009
>Heat works good, but AC will need a compressor. I took the compressor off to put the car at a 50/50 weight ratio.
>I bought the car for cheap and used it occasionally for drifting
>I drove the car through a ditch once
>244xxx miles
>>
>>19133589
If you have extra cushioning installed on your behind you should look for a firmer seat. If your ass is like a skeleton in a burlap sack you should get a cushy marshmallow for a seat.
Source: my ass
>>
>>19136999
These cars are all stupid and boring. Anon, have you considered that you yourself might be boring? Maybe your current car is a good fit.
Beyond that, I'd start with the question: have you ever wished your car could do something it couldn't? Like for example, I've wished my car could drive over piles of dirt meant to keep out cars. So I got a taller car. Get my drift?
>>
>>19137084
Sigh, i just want my current shitbox to be silent and both and have a bit more acceleration. So i ocassionally grab my ass to a stealerships, testdrive other shitboxes only to find out that no new car is worth the price for me. Then i go watching second hand only to find that the only "normal" priced cars are the trashed ones.
So yes, it seems like i'm a boring persone, and the problem that i cant cope with it.
>>
>>19137092
Sounds like you need a new hobby. See, I'm here now because I got a new car recently, and if I'm about to build a new computer I find myself on /g/, or when I get a new gun I'm on /k/. Cars are just a thing, you don't want to get too wrapped up in them. If yours works fine and you just have the grass is greener syndrome, you should do something real and different. Do you know any other languages? If not, learn one. Do you play a musical instrument? Pick up a guitar. A year from now you'll be the same person but with extra layers added, and that feels better than changing the metal box you ride around in. As westerners, we're fed the lie that buying things is the goal we're chasing, I know you know what I mean. I'm just trying to make sure you're not wasting your money. How long have you had your current car that you're dissatisfied with?
>>
>>19137121
B-but what if i already have the PC i want for now /screw gpu prices though/, what if my DSLR just waiting for a lens that currently not sold /second hand monitoring ebays/, i just just feel the iteration of an upgrade came to my DD?

Also, i'm really grateful for this conversation.
>>
>>19137141
I think that's valid. I drove my last car for 8 years, and just like you said, I felt a new iteration of DD, an upgrade approaching. It was time. Do it anon, you deserve it. I'd stay away from cars that drug dealers drive though, like that Acura. Cars that are too rich or too poor looking attract criminals and police. Buy smart.
>>
>>19137163
>yfw when you know decreasing quality of goods in your hobbies
>like shitty-made intel cpus and and plastic-on-plastic new lenses
>and then suddenly new shitboxes are not made to last
>you struggle to find a car with "reliable" tranny and engine that can last
>its euro market
>all toy yodas sold have altered mileage
>other brands require severe money dump
>mfw i have no face and for once conside buying used
>>
File: LED-dome-lights.jpg (145 KB, 960x356)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>19126143
So last night I was pulled over for dim license plate light. The housing was a bit cloudy when I checked it this morning but I wiped it clear. Should I replace the bulb with a LED one or am I ok? Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for a dim plate light?
>>
Are early 2000s Volkswagens reliable?
>>
>>19130629
this
it took me a bit to realize
>>
>>19137058
You make a compelling point
>>
>sent a text to Craiglist seller yesterday
>no response in 24hrs
>call him today
>picks up the phone
>man sounds about middle-aged
>seemed surprised that I was calling and setting up a date to meet him
>arranged the meeting for next week
Now, the car in question is a 2000 Toyota Avalon. It seems to be in solid condition. Decent mileage(150K), and there are no claims of mechanical issues. Given that this dude is older, he might not have time or really feel like taking it to a mechanic for someone to really check it out.

I'm willing to buy it that day if it looks good, but by the off chance that I can't get a professional opinion, should I not? What are some things I should look/listen for? I'm thinking:

>see how well the car shifts between gears
>listen for engine noise
>obviously check lights and indicators
>check battery for corrosion
>look for leaks under the car
>tire tread
But what else?
>>
>>19126233
You can probably take a sawzal to the bolts, that's what me and a friend did to mine to get them loose for an axleback replacement
>>
File: maths.png (521 KB, 680x445)
521 KB
521 KB PNG
What's the better purchase? Car in question has a water pump problem where SOME of them go bad at 80k miles like clockwork, but most never go bad. The pump is inside the timing cover so it either costs a shitload of money or takes a shitload of time to replace.

Option 1
>85k miles
>water pump JUST replaced by dealer who received it with a bad one
>since it's already replaced I don't need to worry about it failing, but engine could have suffered overheating damage if PO was a nigger

Option 2
>130k miles
>meticulously maintained with a huge envelope of service records and receipts and all problems repaired by a dealer as they came up
>water pump never went bad, hopefully one of the good ones that lasts forever?

They are both priced appropriately for the mileage and condition.
>>
Is this retard or am I missing something?

Wouldn't the exhaust choose the route of least resistance and just go nearly unmuffled?
>>
>>19138144
Theres no cut out flap or anything even, I just don't get it.
>>
Anyone used Partsology? Seems they have good reviews but I have to be wary about parts that cheap
>>
I can hear a very quiet clunk near the front left tire while going over bumps and my power steering squeals a little bit on that side. Should I be worried?
>>
>>19138130
Id' go for the one that hasn't had the water pump replaced because bearings tend not to get along with coolant. It's not usually immediate failure but rather that the bearings start coming apart 10-20K later. Also coolant and oil usually causes sludge.
>>
>>19138409
Can you aggressively flush the oil circuit to make sure all the crap gets out? Or am I limited to just doing five oil changes in a row with driving in-between?
>>
>>19134179
>>19134188
Yeah I found a place that will do the belt and water pump for $290. Getting it done this month
>>
>>19137272
They'll pull you over for anything, they don't need a "good" reason. They'll say one of your taillights flickered or something if they need to. They were just checking you out to see if you were drunk or had warrants, and if you drive by that same cop in a week he won't pull you over because he recognizes you.
>>
how hard would it be to swap an OM605 into a volvo 140?
>>
>>19138144
Yeah, I'm guessing they though it was a good excuse to run mufflerless without the defects and twin exhaust tips without spending the money on a twin exhaust. I'm no exhaust specialist, but I can't imagine it giving better performance or sound with retarded 2nd pipe there.
>>
>>19126143
Exhaust leak will not set a P0430 code. That is a catalytic converter efficiency code. Most likely your cat is failed. Only other possibility is a faulty reading o2 sensor but it's probably the cat. Soak all that shit for days before taking it off, but it looks like it's so rusted you may need entire new exhaust along with the cat.
>>
>>19137615
>check condition of atf. Lots of retards will change the oil before selling, but rarely the transmission fluid
>smell in the engine bay for a funny burnt smell
>check condition of original floor mats if they're still in there. It will tell you how well it was looked after
>if the engine bay is spotless, it probably means he just degreased it to hide leaks
>oil in radiator
>chocolate milkshake in oil
>cracked and perished suspension rubbers
>leaking shock absorbers
>>
>>19138379
Your front suspension bushings are probably shot allowing rack and pinion or steering box to turn more than it should.
>>
>>19136067
You can only shave so much material down from the heads and honing the cylinders, but for most engines that maybe 2+ million miles and the 4 or 5 rebuild before it gets to that point.
>>
Im very close to buying a car from a car dealer (broker). It has 29k miles and had it’s 30k mile service done recently at another dealership. The paperwork makes it seem fine. Should I have it checked again by another mechanic?
>>
>>19136544
The auto one may not fit, as most starters bolt into the transmission or have some part of it sticking into the bell housing to access the flywheel.
>>
>>19139299
>>
>>19137272
If your lights work, then take it to court, the cop was just being a dick.

They can't ticket you for them being dim as that's subjective reading of the law.
>>
File: 1324767952001.jpg (404 KB, 1280x781)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
>>19137346
>>
>>19130355
You don't need to replace the lifters, just the oil in them. They usually trap oil in there which cant escape. The oil then burns and you get the ticking sound.

Review guides before doing this since this is a common thing people fix. You're gonna have to take the valve cover off and the cams out at minimum.

Also you're gonna need a torque wrench, a timing light, and RTV.

Check your oil level first though, low oil causes ticking that sounds exactly like lifter tick.
>>
Are you better off buying used from a dealer or private party?
>>
File: rice or nice.png (2.04 MB, 1769x816)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB PNG
Does my grille look better left or right?
>>
>>19140577
right side is fairly common to see, at least here
front end looks weird with such a small plate, but i'm used to seeing north america spec plates on those.
>>
>>19140577
Left
>>
>>19126991
>>19127004
Same problem and thanks
>>
File: trans1.jpg (3.46 MB, 4032x3024)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
I should have posted here rather than start a new thread earlier...

I drained the trans in my 01 Miata, there were a few tiny chunks in there.
One guy said it was parts of the synchros. Other guy said trans needs a flush.

What is the difference between changing trans fluid and a "flush"?
>>
So my mother gave me her old 2002 Chevy Blazer since she doesn't need it anymore. It was running fine for a while, but now it runs like shit. Turns out she's taken almost no care of it since she got it, and now it's on me to figure it out.

I replaced the battery and alternator after they both conked out, but now it idles like a washing machine full of rocks, runs really weak, and stalls easily when it comes to a stop. Also the temp gauge does this thing where it will start at zero, then shoot up to maximum temperature, even though I can feel that it isn't anywhere near that hot.

Never owned a Blazer before, and I'm stumped with this thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>19140780
Here's a video I took of how crappy it idles.

https://a.pomf.cat/incnfw.mp4

The poor thing sounds like an old carnival ride waiting to break down around some hapless kids.
>>
>>19130122
Yes. Even a little bit of the pad extending over causes a lip. Your image is a fucking HUGE gap. Something is wrong in your brake system.
>>
How do I get a small SUV like a Toyota Rav4 or Honda CR-V for under $1000, and quickly?
>>
>>19140993
Steal it.
>>
>>19141137
Thanks
>>
>>19141191
you could try and find one with non structural crash damage on co part
>>
>>19131811
Use a mask with filters with 2k base or clear coat
>>
>>19133589
Bride?
>>
>>19140561
Private party always
>>
Does anyone have the pinout for the instrument cluster for a 2002 Chevy Express 3500?

Mine just had the speedometer, odometer, and gear selection display go out. I don't mind the latter two, but I really don't wanna go driving around without a speedometer. I've taken my dash trim off, and pulled the cluster out. The cable connector itself is really tight up inside the front end's metalwork, and I see no easy way to access it without tearing the entire front end of the van apart. I'd much rather do some testing to the connector in place instead of trying to get it out of there, but that can be kinda tricky without a pinout. Haynes manual doesn't have jack about this, can't find anything through google. Any ideas?
>>
>>19140780
>replaced battery
>now idling low
Did you reprogram the computer's idle settings? If not, they could be off. It could also be a fuel pressure issue, or a dirty throttle body. But check to make sure your computer's idle settings are proper first.
>>
File: IMG_7303.jpg (3.79 MB, 3024x4032)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
Was rear ended yesterday just days before I need to drive 500 miles to get to the airport for a vacation.

Just a fender bender, but I had to pry the bumper from the muffler. Car seems to drive fine, muffler is a bit loose (I dunno though, I don't go around grabbing it)

should this be fine to make the trek or should I rent something?
>>
File: Mazda_6.jpg (633 KB, 1920x1200)
633 KB
633 KB JPG
I want to bleed the clutch.
where is the fluid reservoir?
Does it use brake fluid?
Mazda 6 gy station wagon
>>
How much does it cost to get a gas tank cleaned and where do I go to get it done? I'd like to get the tank of an old motorcycle clean but the irregular shape means that it's an incredible pain in the ass to do it myself.
>>
Friendly reminder to check your fuses before You try to diagnose or fix anything. My car started getting jerky while accelerating and I spent an hour fucking around with the fuel system before noticing that one of the fuses was cock-eyed. It turned out that that fuse was the one for the fuel pump and when I set it back into place the car went back to working fine.
>>
>>19140577
Right
>>
>>19140676
Only auto transmissions need flushes, manuals don't typically have channels where fluid collects and needs to be pumped out.
>>
>>19141513
Use the dryer and nuts method, otherwise find a body shop that specializes in motorcycles.
>>
File: MSR_065_Gray.jpg (35 KB, 500x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Anyone has experience with MSR rims/wheels?
>>
I just replaced the head on my e30 and it refuses to start. When I turn it over the car revs to redline then dies sometimes I’ll be able to give it gas to keep it on a while longer but it’ll eventually die. The car has been sitting for about a year I’ve already done a compression test, fuel pump is working. I’m thinking it might be a bad CPS. Is this reasonable? I’m super lost and this is my first car so idk what to do.
>>
>>19140676
Most "flushes" are fluid exchanges, and the use of any additives or other products are entirely at the discretion of the tech, shop owner/manager, and you.

In most cases, if a shop calls it a "flush," then they're using a machine to replace a large amount of fluid at once, while the vehicle is running. They can do this through the dipstick tube, or rerouting the cooling lines to and from the machine. This machine may also be able to filter/clean the fluid and circulated it back to the trans, but it's much easier and more effective to replace old fluid with new.

Compare this to what is often called a "drain and fill," where transmission fluid is simply drained out and replaced conventionally (new fluid is poured in manually).

The process used is usually dependent on manufacturer recommendation (most Hondas will want a drain and fill, despite the presence of a dipstick or conventional fill port). You can also reference the "service fill" quantity in a technical or service manual; anything in the neighborhood of 5-6 quarts or less is likely to be a "drain and fill" approach.

Either way, the two processes are really just two approaches to solve the same problem--old fluid out, new fluid in.

Manual transmissions are treated like any other gearbox, and some method of "drain and fill" will be used.
>>
I own a 2003 ram 1500, how do I kill myself?
>>
>>19141907
M20 M10 Or M42?

Do you mean TPS? Becuase that's what happens with a bad one on a M20. Make sure everything is connected and all your Vacuum lines are hooked up.
>>
>>19129361
>Hissing / sucking
Intake.

Rapid tapping would be exhaust.

With it running can you feel where it's leaking? Soapy water and a cold start would pinpoint it.

Either you butchered the installation or something else is wrong. You didn't cheap out on gaskets, did you?
>>
>>19142204
M20, I’ll double check the lines tomorrow and I’ll clean out the TPS.
>>
File: 20180120_103738.jpg (1.36 MB, 1232x2048)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>19126143
jb weld, or if you just need to pass inspection silicone caulk
>>
>>19130761
Sounds like a weak starter desu.

>>19131116
Shovel.

If it's not an automatic disable the neutral safety switch and use first gear to get it out of the hole it's in.

Attach a come along to a motor mount or the front cross member and hope for the best.

>>19131819
Have extra hardware and a Sawzall/grinder with a cutting disk handy.

Or stop at a muffler shop.

>>19132525
>Oil can't be flushed
You're an idiot. It can at an expense.

>>19133412
Those are from people wearing rings on their fingers. Odd all four doors are scratched that deeply, but you'll commonly see that on vehicles owned by marry couples.

>>19133689
>>19138651
>Subaru owner
>Scared to do their own work
Pull the cover off and inspect the belt. Three or four bolts on the LH side.

If the belt is in good shape and the idlers aren't noisy you'll be fine for the upcoming month. Just avoid winding it out.

If you bought a turbo Subaru that hasn't been regularly maintained I hope your wallet is thick.

>>19134053
First mod for increased empeegees is a driver mod. Learn to drive for fuel efficiency.

>>19134628
>Sitting at a dealership for a year
Either a great negotiating point or everyone else has found something wrong.

>>19137272
He was just finding a bullshit reason to pull you over.

I personally go to great lengths to make it difficult for them to find things, but they'll always find something.

Most recently
>Your third brake light is out

I went home and checked it and it was functioning just fine.

>>19138240
RockAuto or eBay.

>>19138561
Coolant is extremely corrosive. I'd be concerned if it mixed.

>>19140561
Some dealers offer a short warranty on old used shitboxes. Typically limited to the drivetrain, but those can be worth it.

I personally always aim for private parties.

>>19140780
TPS or IAC.

Probably TPS.

You bought a prebailout GM product. The dash cluster is going to start doing funky shit. Everything will rattle. If it's 4wd replace the actuator.
>>
>>19140577
Right w/o the stripes
>>
>>19126143
To all the people that drive without shoes or any form of footwear, what do you enjoy about it? I just tried it and it felt very uncomfortable
>>
Should I order brand new tail lights from a dedicated restomod store or buy cheap reproduction ones from ebay? I don't really want to spend $215 on the restomod lights but I don't want to get low quality chink garbage either
>>
How often to replace oil in Mazda 3 sedan?

Also, I hear a real annoying clicking sound coming from my front driver wheel area. It ramps up with speed, but I don't think it sounds like a bearing. Could something be hitting my wheel, like the brakes or something else?
>>
>>19142885
5k miles if synthetic.

>Also, I hear a real annoying clicking sound coming from my front driver wheel area. It ramps up with speed.

Possibly CV joint.
>>
>>19142844
For what car?
>>
>>19142800
Did you drive an automatic or manual?
>>
>>19130237
try some bug and tar remover. Go easy with it. Itll take some elbow grease but it will come off
>>
i'm thinking of getting an rx8 with a blown engine to put an ls motor in it. i figure that would be the ultimate bang for buck given that the car is fairly light and has a decent suspension. or am i being retarded?
>>
>>19142975
I only drive manual, but my point is I don't like the sensation of my flesh touching the pedals
>>
>>19138144
Thats for a camaro right? I have the same exhaust. Theres a reducer spacer/gasket on the tailpipe without the muffler where the 3 bolts are at the Y section. Small, medium and large. If you use the small spacer the exhaust will be quieter because more will flow the the muffler. The large spacer will be basically straight piped and really loud
>>
>>19143007
My point was its really only noticeable when using the clutch as you can feel the bite point better.

I only ever drive barefoot is when I'm in flip flops or sandals as they can come loose while driving.

> I don't like the sensation of my flesh touching the pedals

Sounds like you're a germaphobe
>>
What's the reliability of a 2013 Hyundai Genesis 3.8? Found one for sale with 39k miles for 14,999 and I'm hesitant on that or a 2018 Sonata for 24k.
>>
>>19142950
87 Mustang LX. I could get some from LMR for about $215 before shipping, or I could buy 2 used ones from ebay for about 180-200. I'd rather do that but I'd be worried about them being mismatched and faded or something
>>
>>19143087
>germaphobe
Not really since I'm barefoot right now. I dunno, I just find driving with shoes easier and comfier. Also I don't wear flip flops when I go out unless I'm going no further than 300m from my house and I never wear sandals
>>
Im buying a car out of state and driving it back here. it has an aux input and upon looking it up i found a video of my exact model, but the guy is saying you need an old ass cassette in the cassette slot before the car will read the aux input. Why? It was made in 2000, i dont think anyone has used cassettes regularly enough to warrant a deck for them in cars since like 1995. Anybody know an ez fix for this that i could do in like 2 mins before i start driving it? Obviously dont have spare tapes sitting around, and not being able to play what i want will make the 14+ hr trip suck ass a lot more than it needs to
>>
>>19143373
>but the guy is saying you need an old ass cassette in the cassette slot before the car will read the aux input.
Just ask him for one
>>
>>19143380
I meant the guy on the vid, not the seller. I might be able to find one of those fake tapes with an attached aux cord and see if that will work. Probably easier than finding an actual cassette
>>
>>19143627
just stop at a goodwill or salvation army I'm sure you'll find something
>>
96 ferd escort, god i fucking hate ford
Trying to pull the radio so i can see why it wont power on and im stumped. I only see 2 wires that look non stock coming off of my battery, and both lead to switches under the dash for extra lights and a killswitch to the engine fan. Looks like i have to remove pretty much everything between the drivers seat and firewall to get to the back of the radio. Dash, glovebox, all the shit around my shifter, etc. Already fucked with it for an hour trying to find the bolts that are hidden in impossible to reach places, and it looks like ive got another fucking hour to go. Radio doesnt just slide out, and the plastic section holding the radio and ac in place wont slide out either. Seems like ac and radio are both stuck in place by something way back by the firewall, which i cant get to till i remove the radio and ac.
Like i said, didnt see any wires that looked to be going to the radio, so i dont think its even connected to the battery. It has smp hookups that run to under my seat, could it be set up so that the amp had to be wired to the battery and the radio draws power from the amp? Sounds stupid to me, and it probably is considering there's no amp in the car, but ive barely fucked with amps and radios before. My last car had hookups but no amp as well and the radio was just wired to the battery, the way a non retard would do it. Any chance im right about it needing to draw from the amp? Pics of hookups here and battery in next post
>>
>>19143971
Dam didnt realize id typed so much
TLDR radio doesnt turn on, dont see any wires running to it from the battery. Dont see why itd be installed but not hooked up. The wires im holding go to 2 switches under dash, not related to radio. All the extra shit on the negative terminal is stock, asked on an escort forum a while ago and i think its for my brake booster?
>>
>>19143971
>God I fucking hate Ford
>Used shitbox

You don't have to tear the dash apart to remove the radio / HVAC controls. IIRC it's similar to other Ford models of the era and you stick small screwdrivers into the holes of the DIN unit to release the radio.

They make a special removal tool for it. They look like u bolts. Should be 4 small holes in the face of the unit on both sides.

You might have to remove the HVAC connectors under the dash. It's been a long time since I had my first shitbox.

>I miss my sho

>Wired to the amp
I have the radio in my trail rig wired into my auxiliary battery. I highly doubt that's the case in your situation, but it's possible they had a battery for the sub/amp at one time.
>>
will touch up paint survive being washed or will washing it remove it completely?
>>
Is it dumb to drive nice cars in the winter even if i black bomb the underside?
>>
>>19144231
your regular paint doesn't wash away does it? touch up paint is the same stuff but with a small applicator. just let it cure and stuff first
>>
>>19144279
lol. turns out i'm retarded, thanks
>>
>>19144701
well so am I so don't feel bad
>>
>replaced brake pad on front left tire. Had some trouble with it and had to disconnect the caliper in order to push the piston back in. lost a lot of brake fluid
>didn't have time to do front-right. Yup. Shit.
>drove to work anyways, brakes are super weak and brake light is on. Have to tap once or twice before brakes get real power.

I haven't noticed any leaking, will adding brake fluid magically fix my problems before/after I change the right side?
>>
>>19140676
The thing on the right does look like it could be a synchro tooth.
>>
>>19144914
Did you bleed the line you worked on? If not you have air in your lines. Time to get a helper.
>>
>>19144928
Makes sense. I'll get on that.
>>
>>19144053
Yeah i saw a vid for that, forgot to mention my shit box has an aftermarket radio. Didnt see any holes so i dont think thatll work. I saw one hole that looked empty that i might of been able to do that with. Ill see if that works, but thats still 1/4 holes i need, so im not expecting much
>>
>>19140780
Try you’re idler air control valve, also the fuel pumps on those are trash.
>2001 Chevy blazer owner
Mines developed a whine that’s only for about 30 seconds after startup. Any ideas? Fan clutch?
>>
>>19143971
Did you check the fuse
>>
>>19126143
stuff some exhaust paste in there
>>
I live in a subtropical nation, what exactly ARE winter tires? Is it just a difference in tread or is the compound different?
>>
File: 1465168662873.png (90 KB, 665x709)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
Can I straighten out my b-pillar with a 10 tonne hydraulic jack mounted horizontally?
>>
>>19126143
Are Duralast brake pads okay? I don't want to cheap out too much, but I need new pads asap
>>
>>19145269
Also its just for daily driving, but i am a delivery driver
>>
>>19145269
just get OEM they aren't that much more expensive for most cars
>>
>>19137615
Aaaand he sold it without saying a thing. Why would you make an appointment with me and sell it two days before the appointment. What the fuck. There should be a code of conduct for this type of shit.
>>
>>19145269
I just bought Bendix pads and they are great.
>>
>>19141897
Interested on this too, looking to buy an used set. good condition and all but i don't know shit about this wheels
>>
File: 23591530001_large.jpg (83 KB, 575x383)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
How difficult would it be to find in the western United States area, a transmisison that'll bolt into a 1.8L inline-4 BP-4W (1998-2001) Mazda Miata engine?
>>
>>19145386
>buy rekt miats for cheap
>remove transmission
>????
>>
Alright so I went to a dealership and tested a bunch of cars, and pretty much each one had white smoke coming out of the exhaust after I revved the shit out of the engine.
Were they all just shit cars or is this thing normal?
>>
File: 2018-toyota-camry.jpg (111 KB, 1024x685)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
what are some practical or performance mods I
can do on pic related?
>>
>>19145582
If they've been sitting awhile and its raining then that's probably why.
>>
>>19145261
You'll probably bend it the other way. This is the wrong forum to be asking anyways.

>>19145256
Compound and tread, they typically are softer and a lot more siping.
>>
>>19141509
Rip that broken panel off and give the muffler a good shake, if it doesn't go an inch in any direction you should be fine.

>>19141510
Usually the master cylinder is on the firewall next to or very close to the brake master cylinder, and yes it uses brake fluid but youll need to see what type it needs.
>>
>>19145811
ls swap
>>
File: twins.jpg (349 KB, 2048x1102)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
Ok, straight to the point...
I'm turboing my built motor. I have a kit that has the down pipe already made, and brackets made that bolt straight to my motor, no mods needed.
The downpipe is 2.25". I bought an exhaust system that is 3".
My question is, is it worth the money to have a new downpipe made vs any losses i'll have from going restrictive to less restrictive?
Also, what losses are there from this large of a transition in performance, going 2.25" to 3"?!
Thanks.
Boosting the black one.
>>
theres a leak after pulling out underneath where the hood/engine was, and it's dark black is this likely a big problem?
>>
>>19146194
We don't know, it could be anything.
>>
File: 20151209_175313.jpg (1.52 MB, 3264x1836)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>19146030
answer my question people!!
>>
>>19146030
>>19146274

the money would be pretty much wasted if you had a new downpipe made
>>
>>19146274
Make like a tree and kill yourself.
>>
At what year does doing an automatic transmission to manual transmission swap become more complicated on a Honda Civic because of ECU incompatibilities or something?
>>
>>19146274
God what in the fuck is with you Honda mexicans and spraypainting intake bodies? Looks like garbage.
>>
File: 83883466.jpg (106 KB, 912x952)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>19146276
That's what i was thinking, its not like i was going from less restrictive to more restrictive.

>>19146283
How about you make like a tree, and leave? Don't like the question? Root on. Branch on to your hate. But overall, you can kiss my trunk.
>>
>>19146274
You are asking what's worth it to you and a very specific exhaust question nobody will be able to answer better than a google guess unless they have done the exact same thing you are doing and dynoed before and after.

Yes and 6 hp
>>
File: 20151119_174053.jpg (1.37 MB, 3264x1836)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>19146293
wellllll, it did look like this, and i kinda had a red theme going....and you're a cunt.
>>
>>19126143
asbestos rope
>but muh mesothelioma
don't huff it 8 hours a day for 40 years, and you'll be ok
>>
>>19126388
nothing in a rattle can will last
>>
File: 84780577.jpg (52 KB, 614x455)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>19146299
yea i know, i really did try to google it, but i kept getting results about header pipelines being too large or small.
I was more trying to validate my idea that the 3 or so feet of 2.25 pipe wasnt worth the effort of upgrading to 3", but didnt want to assume.
In the end, i was just asking a question that didnt need a thread?!
I thought thats what these threads were for?!?
Random questions for those in need? You guys really being cunts, honestly, given this type of thread..
>>
>>19146318
well then maybe reddit is more of your thing
>>
>>19126233
lol, from experience, if that is actually your own pic : Those bolts aren't coming off without cutting.

Find yourself an angle grinder (big dremmel tool for the non-techs) and start cutting into it.

Eventually it will snap loose, grind down the mating surfaces, and install a new gasket with new bolts.

Alternatively, given the amount of degradation the exhaust has accumulated, it might be time to just swap out the whole exhaust.
>>
>>19146311
This.

Its time to either bring it to a body shop and have them re-spray it, or you're going to be renting equipment.

Trouble is, if you want a proper job done, you're going to want the heat of a paint booth.
So, just get it done professionally.
>>
File: 84630445.jpg (927 KB, 2988x5312)
927 KB
927 KB JPG
>>19146322
No, i like you salty fuckers. The issue is that chan members will be fuckers for no reason just cause they're anon. I posted a seemingly reasonable question, in the right kinda forum, and people still wanna flash their anon asses. But its cool, ima keep truckin on with this build.
Just drunk and curious, like i imagine majority of 4chan is at any moment..
>>
>>19146030
Wont matter. Even if you increase the downpipes size you're still going to cause drag elsewhere in the exhaust stream... you can keep replacing shit, eventually you'll just be causing drag at the exhaust port itself.

I know most kids swear by opening up the exhaust, but unless you're willing to start with the exhaust ports themselves, you're going to do abso-fucking-lutely nothing.

You might as well remain with the stock exhaust size at that point.
>>
>>19145811
A little known trick we in the industry refer to as a trade-in.
>>
My lap times, reaction ability, and general smoothness have all taken a big hit after not sleeping well for 2 or so weeks.
But I'm still awake past my bed time, and I still have to get up early in the morning.

Why do I do this to myself?
>>
>>19144053
This.

There should be metal clips along the side of the radio to hold it in place. The prong-tool depresses these clips in order to slide the radio out.

If however it has been replaced with an aftermarket deck, they may have either replaced these clips with bolts through the side frame in the dash, or they re-used the old clips with no way for you to retract them except jam shit down the side of the deck until you release them or destroy the deck trying.

... if you can't find the release holes and want to play it safe, it's time to start dismantling the dash.
>>
File: 1390016742353.jpg (53 KB, 640x480)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>19146365
Alright, thanks anon. This build is getting pretty $$$ and i wanna just use the damn thing already. I think ima use what i have, and just build onto what i have, later.
I have a question about turbos, and which would be more ideal for my build, but so far, im just getting alot of flak about question about exhaust size.
Can't imagine discussing turbo benefits and cons at this point lol.
>>
>>19127570
paint em. like the next ones, you're never getting the rust off the ones you've had for 10000+ miles.
>>
>>19146381
The typical driver does this to themselves through a desire to find like-minded individuals online in order to satisfy a need for companionship which is lacking in their day to day lives.

My recommendation is you find some friends. Unfortunately, you can't browse porn on your friends... so it's really up to you.
>>
>>19146403
There's no shame in using what you've got so far and seeing if you want to do more later.

Just, do yourself a favor, don't over-do it with forced air... you'll only hurt your wallet more.
>>
>>19127653
Honestly I bought a car and drove it home about 5 hours without any tags on it, and drove it around town with nothing all weekend because the DMV was closed. Nobody hassled me.
>>
>>19146407
kek

I know 4chan was better, I just didn't know why until you explained it.
>>
>>19140676
A "flush" is typically done with a machine that pumps in fresh fluid as it extracts the old fluid, resulting in an easy replacement of fluid at exact same quantity.

The trouble with this is, you don't replace the transmission filter doing this.

A PROPER transmission service involves removing the pan itself, changing the filter + gasket, cleaning the collecting magnet and pan, and re-installation + filling with the CORRECT amount of fluid.
>>
>>19127653
>>19146421
That's funny because I bought a car that didn't need to pass emissions, got a trip permit the next day and was literally on my way to the DMV when a cop pulled me over because some tape fell off of my trip permit and it "wasn't displayed properly."
>>
Newfag to /o/ here, what is "WAT?" Is it a sticker company or something?
>>
>>19142380
I cracked opened the TPS cleaned itand double checked all the lines. While tightening the valve breather hose it cracked so I plugged it with a cork and now the engine starts and idles for about 10-30 seconds then dies. While it idles it shakes super violently and it will even backfire a couple of times.
>>
Is there a difference between maf cleaner and electrical contact cleaner? Can I use maf cleaner to clean the female end of a wiring harness?
>>
>>19147102
In case anyone else was wondering, the maf sensor cleaner worked perfectly as electrical contact cleaner
>>
on coolant, if it's orange put more orange in and if it's green more green right?
>>
>>19147380
yes

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.