[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Not just Hatchbacks but Sub-Compact and Compact cars too?

Like why isn't there a RWD Corolla or a RWD Hyundai Accent?

I know about the cost factor but there would be a market for it right? I mean, I'm all in for something like that.

What is your reason/explanation/answer to my question?
>>
Absolutely no one would buy it
>>
>>19280838
The market for it is smaller than you'd think, even BMW are moving the 1 Series to a FWD platform. The sad fact is 99% of car buyers do not give a fuck what the driven wheels are, but FWD in hatchbacks allows for more cargo and passenger space as well as being marketable as 'safer'
>>
>>19280857
And better fuel economy and lower price helps too
>>
Because hatch backs are for poor people.
>>
>>19280962
this

entry level vehicle = low production costs = FWD gutless 4 banger with plastic interior and MacPherson struts
>>
>>19281017
I wouldn't be surprised if the 3-Series becomes a FWD platform.
>>
>>19280962
>type R
>RS
>golf R
>for poor people
>>
>>19281023
They probably won't do that, but I could see the X3 moving to a FWD platform
>>
File: clio.jpg (71 KB, 631x420)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>19280838
maddest madhatch comin tru
>>
>>19281026
where seems to be the problem? it's a poor's people car
>>
>>19281026
+CTS V, RS4/6, Panamera, AMG E63 S
>>
>>19281026
Yeah, all those cars are for poor people, but sometimes rich people buy them too.
>>
>>19280838
there are actually, there is the toyota starlets from before 1985.

chevy chevette and all the other designations it has in other countries, for example in country its the opel kadett c city, just look it up or some shit.

of course the toyota ae86/85.

AMC Gremlin

pretty much all of them are dream cars for me, except the ae86/85 dont really care about that one. i have plans for them all aswell.

wanna drop a 2 or 3 rotor in the starlet.

a supercharged f20c in the kadett

and a phat v8 in gremlin
>>
RWD removes interior space, you end up with something like the frs that has no back seat
>>
>>19281873
This. The 1-series is tiny inside compared to the competition.
>>
>>19280838
RWD
>Better driving characteristics
>More expensive to manufacture
>More expensive to maintain
>Less power to the wheels
>Less grip in the snow/rain
>Reduced interior space

FWD
>Worse driving characteristics
>Cheaper to manufacture
>Cheaper to maintain
>More power to the wheels
>More grip in the snow/rain
>Increased interior space

Say you're in charge of Toyota and they're about to design the next generation Corolla. 99% of your projected customers just want a commuter car and won't notice the difference between RWD and FWD. Do you choose the layout that handles better at the limit? Or the layout that is cheaper, more efficient and more spacious?
>>
>>19281866
>Three rotor starlet
You and I share a wavelength
>>
>>19281040
X3 is based on the 3 series so nope
>>
Because RWD is a meme
>>
>>19282053
You shut your whore mouth before I take my incredibly heavy driveshaft and shove it in your urethra
>>
>>19281924
then but a golf. the USP of the 1 series right now is the RWD
>>
the main reason is because rwd is less efficient when you're turning
>>
>>19282026
sadly the starlets are rare here in europe, i checked one out about a month ago. but it was completely rusted to shit. its so sad to see owners neglect these beauties
>>
File: 1527003937313.jpg (98 KB, 960x616)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
You're cruising down the highway, going the speed limit and this guy cuts you off then flips you the bird. Wat do?
>>
File: bd8.png (270 KB, 1190x906)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
>>19282070
>>
>>19280838
People who want RWD don't want a cuckmobile.
>>
fwd is easier and safer handling wise.
often more efficient
more annoying in maintenance tho.
also you can make shorter cars so you get these ugly monstrosities like vw up/toyota aygo/peugeot 107 that have like no hood and are complete cancer to work on

to sum it up front wheel is generally safer, more spatious, and more efficient which is what regular people like blabla supply and demand.
>>
>>19282086
ignore because hes just trying to compensate for his micropenor, and then laugh thinking about how hes gonna get home to his abusive relationship
>>
>>19282053
>RWD is a meme
The literal state of cuckmobile drivers.
>>
>>19282086
tip my fedora to the supreme gentleman
>>
>>19282086
Laugh because he's driving a meme wheel drive meme mobile which will he banned from the roads in 20 years while I continue to drive home safely in my BMW i3
>>
>>19280838
The new Twingo is RR.
>>
>>19282126
>drives an i3
>call rwd meme drive

cosider sudoku phaggot
>>
The better question is why no rear engine + RWD is made. They could just put the boot in the front like in the original Beetle or just add more space above the engine like pic related.
>>
>>19282141
falling to such lowly b8
>>
>>19282148
because thats pretty much the most dangerous engine layout there is, liftoff understeer is some scary shit. you do need quite some power to get that tho. but it happens, especially old porsche 911 turbo's were dangerous as fuck
>>
>what is the 1-series
>what is the gen 3 Twingo
>>
>>19280838
More drivetrain loss and weight = less efficient
Transmission tunnel = less interior space
RWD = scarier for normies to drive in an emergency

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.