[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_1482.png (103 KB, 540x630)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
I've replaced the alternator in my 626 with several different scrapyard alternators and none of them work.

The previous one was only showing 10 volts. I put one in that looks new and Oreilels' test said that it didn't even detect that the engine was on, so he believed the alternator was dead.

Also the battery light isn't even on. Any advice?
>>
>>19398752
Are there any US hatchbacks that aren't shit on the highway?
>>
>>19398752
Some cars won't charge if that little bulb in the dash is blown. Do these alternators have easy to remove brushes/ regulator? Separate regulators can do weird stuff when they play up.
>>
File: 836ma.png (118 KB, 674x346)
118 KB
118 KB PNG
Retard here. This part has finally rotted away on my E46 and all of the used replacements are broken too - I'm just going to get it new at this point. However, I want to make sure it's the right one.

https://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-BMW-51-13-8-208-499-Ledge-Moulding/dp/B009HBBFGG

is this pic related?
>>
Is it time for a new rotor and cap?
>>
>>19399408
>>
does anybody have the /o/ dream garage grid?
>>
>>19399408
Check the 6 contacts in cap for burns, it looks ok. Rotor needs a good clean, that black shit on centre contact. Merc? 260e?
>>
File: brake kit.jpg (39 KB, 600x400)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Sorry for my ignorance, I'm still learning

What do you need to know before upgrading a car's brakes and wheels?

Is it just a matterof finding rotors that have the same bolt pattern and that fit inside the wheels? And in the case of wheels just the bolt pattern?

Is there anything else I need to know or is that enough? And when the time comes to choose a set of rotors, pads, or wheels, what do I need to have in mind quality-wise?
>>
how2cope with depression of having to pass up a 2800 dollar miata in mint condition because an old man doesn't need it anymore? it's half the price of any other clapped out drift missles you see with an engine that was rebuilt in 2010 with 5000 miles on it (entire brake system replaced too, only thing bad is the ebrake because he snapped the line)
>>
>>19399491
325e bmw. sounds good, my car is refuses to stay on after i crank it unless I repeatedly hit the pedal and stay above 3k rpms. thought this might be the culprit.
>>
>>19399577
Checked fuel filter? Coil or leads even timing can cause that.
>>
>>19398752
>pic
Is that a 3rd gen P R E L U D E ?
>>
>>19399691
Just replaced fuel pump fuel filter rebuilt injectors compression is even. I tore down the front end and timing is on tooth. New relays and ICV TPS. I've been at this for months Just replacing shit. Smoke tested.
>>
>>19399559
>no parking brake
>manual car
>>
I dont know shit about cars and dont feel like googling, fiancees 08 cobalt lt has a whine when she accelerates, also the steering wheel jerks slightly side to side when driving. Whats the problems most likely? I feel bad, thing got hit and ran twice this year, got hail damage, and this shit started happening, thing is starting to be a POS,
>>
>>19399758

it's an easy fix desu, the brakes are fine, it's just the brake cable for the ebrake is bad. regardless, a rust-free garage kept miata with a basically new 1.6 in it and a great condition transmission for half of the local market value is insane.
>>
What is the most comfortable small sports coupe that isn't an expensive luxury brand?
>>
>>19399524
If you're going for a direct replacement it's easy enough, wherever you buy them from will tell you what options you have for your vehicle. There are usually several quality grades and materials to choose from.
If you're going for larger rotors then it can get tricky. If you get a Wilwood or Brembo big brake kit you can call them and see if it will fit your car and if you need to change the calipers or whatever as well.

Expensive brakes aren't always good but cheap brakes are never good.
>>
>>19399731
How about spark plugs and wires? Did you confirm firing order is correct?
>>
does a bad wheel bearing make a constant noise or 'thump thump thump' sound while driving? brakes are fine as far as i can tell, wheels are balanced and tires are in good condition, the sound is coming from the same corner regardless of which wheel is there. should i just bite the bullet and take it to a man who does fixin' 'n' such? this sound has made me so paranoid about driving now :(
>>
>>19399785
>whine when accelerating
Loose belt? Also check power steering fluid level.
>wheel jerks side to side when driving
Uhh... that doesn't sound good. Not sure really. Only happens going over bumps or what? Could be sonething wrong with the power steering or rack, but also maybe tie rods, shocks, worn tires...

The two could be related, check the power steering fluid level.
>>
>>19399799
Why are you passing it up then?
>>
>>19399890
Yes it is according to my bentley manual. new plugs and wires were done a month before the issue.
>>
>>19399894
Tie rod? Bad bearings usually sound like a whine or a screech that gets louder as you accelerate.
>>
>>19399907
its only very sightly, always when driving. She got stuck in some snow and then some guy pulled her out but i guess he put his tow rope around the front left axel by the sounds of it? just remembered this... Probably bent eh?
>>
>>19399890
Just quickly doubled checked them and all the plugs were good except for this one was really oily on cylinder 4.
>>
>>19399929
Eh it should still run, probably something else.
I never learned how to adjust a distributor but I had an old Ford ghat I had to take in once in a while so they could "set the points". It would run rough and get worse and worse until it wouldn't idle and I'd take it over to the garage and 15 minutes later it purred like a guinea pig. Never knew what it was they were doing.

When you rev it up it feels good at higher rpms or still seems like there's something wrong?
>>
Besides the fuel gauge (or your car stopping on the road), is there any other way of telling whether your car is very low on gas? Like maybe something audible?

I've wondered about this while driving the other day. I've managed to get the fuel down so low that not only the needle was pointing to empty, a little yellow light came on to tell me that I need to get my ass to a gas station. Even though that was the case, I was still able to drive a generous amount of distance. I wanted to know how far I could push it before my car actually completely runs out of fuel and dies.
>>
>>19399956
no
>>
>>19399955
It sounds fine at high rpms actually even better than before. No weird sounds or sputtering. Super smooth I might have to take it to a shop to diagnose but I’m open to anything at this point. It has a brand new head and oil was done a month ago as well.
>>
>>19399979
Could it possibly be the ECU/DME?
>>
>>19399956
Depends on the car, usually you have a gallon or two left when the light comes on. The only warning is it may sputter for a few seconds before dying.
>>
>>19399979
OK so does it just not idle? There's usually an idle adjustment screw on older cars. Will it run at 1000 rpm if you give it a little gas?
>>
>>19400038
Yeah no idle, and it has an idle screw. I've already replaced Idle control valve as well as the TPS. which is what controls the idle on these cars.
>>
>>19400095
Well that's outside of my limited knowledge then. Just tighten up the throttle cable so it idles at 1500 rpm lol.
>>
>>19400138
I'll look into that, is there anything wrong with running a high idle?
>>
>>19399956
Yeah it will be lighter.
>>
>>19398752
I don't know how your 626 goes about regulating the alternator but it sounds like it's not even being activated. Your best bet here is going to be finding the No-Charge diagnostic flow chart for your car and following it.
>>
>>19399412
I'd say at least the rotor has had it.
>>
>>19398752
Anybody here ever tried buying, fixing and selling cars? I don't mean as a business. I mean like, you see a car going cheap because if some sort of easily fixible issue (in your eyes). You fix the issue, and sell the car for the price you brought it, plus parts, labour and 5%.

Seems like the sort of thing you could only do occasionally, when you see a car that meets all the criteria and is fixible at your skill level.

Anybody tried it? Any channels on YouTube where people have done this? Seems like a fun way to practise wrenching for a hobbyist who doesn't mind relatively long term projects.
>>
>>19400214
i know lots of body guys do it all the time, buy a car that got in a wreck, fix it and sell them, used to live across the street from a bodyshop/amateur car dealer
>>
File: IMG_20180707_223732.jpg (345 KB, 1536x2048)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
So I spent an entire day replacing a control arm. It's my first real repair and I learned a ton. A bit of that time was spent waiting for my mechanic brother in law to swing by and show me the finer points of removing a stuck bolt (beat the piss out of it).

Anyway I only got the one done so my car is just gonna sit on the jacket jackstands until I finish it tomorrow. The set I bought came with two control arms, outer tie rod ends, and sway bar links.

I was looking at trying to do the tie rod on the side I finished but I'm a little confused. When I tried to wrench the castle nut, it turned the whole knuckle. When I tried to wrench the link nut the whole tie rod spun. Are these things normal or is my tie rod fucked beyond repair?

Is there any point to replacing the sway bar links if they seem like they're fine? I'm planning on finishing the other control arm, maybe tie rods if you guys think they aren't fucked, and take it for alignment monday before work.

Also, how do you get grease shit out from under the corners of your nails? I scrubbed at it to no avail and I wasn't sure if there was some trick.

Pic related, the whole reason I started this pain.
>>
>>19398752
what are suzuki cars like?

they seem like spunky reliable cars but thats just my impression
>>
>>19400275
depends on the car in question
>>
File: snitches.png (119 KB, 260x274)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
should a crown vic with less than 12k miles per year at $3k be able to drive me to work and a road trip or two for at least 2 years?
>>
I drive a 2013 subcompact econobox that's worth about ~$7000 on kijiji.

When does collision or upset become not worth it?

For Collision and Upset, I have a $350 deductible, and its premium is $193. Which is about 20% of my total annual premium or 54% of my 1 million liability.

Feels a bit pricy.

I do have enough liquidity to pay cash for another used econobox if I total this one.

All prices in Canadian dollars.
>>
>>19400580
Yes
>>
why is the price diff between regular and midgrade sometimes 10c and other times 35c?
i have to buy midgrade cuase my engine is pinging
an old, tired ford ranger
>>
>bought an automatic 05 Mustang GT a year ago
Should I sell it?
>>
>>19400759
It's probably already not worth Full Coverage since even a scratch would "total" it as far as an insurance company is concerned.

OTOH, if you can't afford to replace the car then yes you need Full Coverage since that would at least get you something so you could replace it. Of course that'll only be current market value of the car but better than nothing if you're broke.
>>
>>19401217
~$7000 is my conservative estimation of the market value.

My insurance is really low, at 1032 annually.
But I'm still really tempted to chop my $193 "collision or upset with 350 deductible" and $51 "Comprehensive with $500 deductible" coverage and just pay out of pocket for anything bad that happens to my cheap car.

And maybe increase my liability coverage in case I maim a bus full of school children.
>>
Would swapping an engine ever be easier than fixing one that isn't running? I don't really know what I'm doing, and I'm pretty sure this is a stupid idea, especially since the current engine itself is actually in very good condition, the issue is just in it not getting enough fuel for some reason and the wiring being fucked since the fuel pump shuts off unless I hold the key on start. I'm pretty sure this means the problems are completely independent on the engine and swapping it will do nothing to alleviate them. I wanted to eventually put something bigger in the car anyway, though.

I think the fuel problem is a blockage, but I'm pretty sure said blockage isn't in any of the rubber fuel lines, but actually near the fuel injectors where it goes into a metal pipe. I have no idea what that's called. I don't know how to clear that since it's not just a hose I can replace. So maybe that problem would be gone when swapping the engine. I guess I could probably just take it off and shoot water through it though?
>>
What is the closed thing to a hardtop Miata I can get that isn't the Toyobaru?
>>
>>19401444
miata with a hardtop
>>
>>19401444
A hardtop Miata...You didn't bother to list a single reason why you want something that isn't a Miata while being like a Miata. Price certainly can't be it since it's the cheapest thing like that you will find.
>>
What does it mean when I pull up to a parking space, put my car in park, and then my cars idles a few hundred RPM higher than normal?
>>
I need to replace a leaky crankshaft ring seal on the timing end. Now that I looked up the service manual on how to get to it it says to check the timing whenever the crankshaft pulley hub bolt is loosened.

Do I run the risk of fucking up my timing? Even if I do it super carefully and watch out not to move anything unnecessarily?
>>
>>19401938
Try cleaning your throttle body, or check for a stuck idle valve.
Used to have something similar, took apart intake manifold to clean it and after putting it back together it only climbs if I idle for long periods.
>>
my car came with 185/55R15s from the factory on 5.5j wheels,

would i be pushing it if i put 195/50R15s on it or 195/55s

as 185/55s are pretty much all eco tyres except for T1Rs, rainsport 3s, and advan neovas
>>
File: 20180708_095601.jpg (766 KB, 2560x1440)
766 KB
766 KB JPG
What are these things on my exhaust? They're not attached to anything and it looks like one rusted off.
>>
>>19400154
At 1500 you'll just burn more fuel. Higher than that and you'll have more clutch wear. If it's an auto don't go over like 900, you'll overheat the torque converter.
>>
>>19399758
>What is 1st gear

I know what you mean though. This chick I bought my Passat from scolded me because in the 3 years she owned it she never used the parking brake and one side, unsurprisingly, ended up being locked up.
>>
>>19399894
Mine made no noise at all. One day there was obvious wheel wobble, jacked the car up, and the bearing fell out in pieces.
>>
>>19399929
The BEST one on my Passat didn't even look that good lmfao
>>
>>19402262
Mounting points for different models, trim configurations.
>>
>>19401444
New Miata or Old Miata?
>>
>>19401340
If you're swapping for another engine that is not the same as the one in it originally.

No, its much more difficult, even with just a bigger engine that came standard with that car.

Futhermore to that effect, if you can't figure out a relatively simple problem like a fuel flow issue, then what makes you think you can figure out a wire harness, pinning out an ECU soldering wiring, or Swapping an ECU to get the new engine to work?

Back to your original problem, Blockages don't happen often in fuel injected systems, they're pressurized and the fuel filter pretty much keeps it from happening, What your issue maybe it is fuel pressure. Have you tested it to see if its what its supposed to be? Have you inspected your fuel pressure regulator? Do you have leaks in the line?

Oh FYI the metal pipe you're referring to is called a fuel rail.
>>
>>19398752
Can I get recommendations on interior car cleaning supplies?

I guess I left some food in my car because now it smells like sweaty poo. I barely use my car (maybe once a week or less) so I guess it happened a long time ago but the smell is only coming out now because of the heat since I don't remember ever bringing food the car. I believe the issue is in the middle cup holder as I just gave that a wipe with water and the next day the smell got cut in half.

What do you guys use on your interiors? Never really cleaned my car before since I rarely ever go out or use it.
>>
>>19399073
This, and its not often that Alternators themselves go bad its typically the voltage regulator that gets worn out.
>>
File: 41lHfuk50ML.jpg (22 KB, 500x500)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>19402827
>Never really cleaned my car before since I rarely ever go out or use it.

That's very bad for your car.

Anyways, a simple kitchen cleaner like windex will clean plastic and cut down on the smell, But pic related is a better option

If its in your carpet, you'll need to get a carpet cleaner and a vacuum to get the smell out.
>>
>>19401636
cabin space
>>
>>19402855
Then get an E30, or a 1 series.
>>
>>19402863
>repair costs up the ass
That's like the opposite of Miata appeal
>>
>>19399910

don't have 2800 to drop right now
>>
>>19402881
Repair costs on an E30 are similar to an old Miata.
>>
A couple questions I have while I’m in the process of finishing my 240sx project:
1. I’m swapping a digital dash in from an NX1600, but currently I have an automatic ECU. I’m going to manual swap the car in a couple weeks, but I was hoping to just get it running now. If I swap in the digital dash with the ECU that’s in there now, will I have to redo all the work I’m doing now after I switch the ECU to manual?
2. Are there any dashboards that fit into the 240 with just a little bit of modification (dremel etc)? The one that came with the car is cracked all to shit and I don’t feel like paying $300-500 for an uncracked one
3. I’m replacing the steering wheel as well. If I’m buying an aftermarket steering wheel, is it a necessity to buy the hub too? Or can I just bolt one in without spending the extra $100?
>>
I'm shopping for tires. I have 235/45/17 tires on 8 inch wide wheels currently, and I'm wondering if I could bump up the section width to 245 on the same wheels without issue. What would be some of the advantages and disadvantages of this?
>>
>>19403128
Seems like less hassle to just buy a newer miata
>>
>>19403171
Well you never specified what year Miata you were looking at, or your level of wrenching skills.
>>
>>19403176
I didn't specify an older miata either
>>
>>19403169
I run 245 on my front 8in wide M pars, and probably could run 255's but it largely depends on your clearances in regards to turning, and if you're lowered or not.
>>
>>19403144
Not an expert on 240sx's and you probably need to find a dedicated forum for it.

But in most manual swaps, you usually end up chunking the TCU in the trash and not really doing much of anything to the ECU, maybe change or jumper some pinouts.

>The one that came with the car is cracked all to shit

Some companies make dashboard caps that fit over the old ones, and there are ways of restoring old dashboards that don't cost more than $100

>is it a necessity to buy the hub too?

yes.
>>
there's a guy selling a 99 ford mustang for 750 dollars and it only has 90k miles. This is too good to be true yeah? im inclined to grab it because I really need a car.
>>
why is it that sometimes the price difference between regular and midgrade is 10c and other times it is 35c?
>>
>>19403218
What’s the difference in an ECU and TCU? The engine swap that I was looking at (comes with manual transmission) comes with the ECU
>>
what push bar is best for ramming cia niggers off the road?
>>
>>19403404
craigslist?
things that indicate scammer to me are few pictures, and seemingly flawless and low price. also reverse image search google for the pictures.
you could just text him and see if you get a good response. if you get a reply saying "Posting Title - Price" then an email address, i think those are scammers. ive gotten lots of texts with that exact format when i reply to cl posts that look to too good to be true.
>>
>>19403674
nah. this letgo app. craigslist isn't showing me any cars besides dealer adverts. this is the link.

https://letgo.onelink.me/O2PG/e1b7b654
>>
>>19403698
id go for it. offer 850 so he prioritizes you over the others who replied first
>>
>>19403622
Engine Control Unit, Transmission Control Unit.
>>
>>19403622
In most older cars the ECU is the same box in both Manual and Automatic versions.
>>
File: wallpaper2you_210742.jpg (53 KB, 802x580)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Anyone think that, if I started a company that basically revived the Vector W8 but with LSX engines, there would be a market for it?

Just a little something I've been daydreaming over lately.
>>
Resources for practical car buying? Don't need info on trucks or super cars
>>
I just finished this mess >>19400267

Did the tie rod ends after all. Took it for a short drive around the block and nothing broke so I'm calling it a success until I go get it aligned tomorrow and the guy says something's fucked up and he cant do it.

Anyway, when I started it up and went to undo the e brake, my brake pedal needed to be pumped a few times to build up pressure. I left the caliper and rotor on, but they did get jostled quite a bit. Is that normal or should I be concerned?
>>
>>19401444
Miata RF
>>
>>19403791
Check out Savage Geese on Youtube.
https://youtu.be/yfBkVUtbqiA
This is the first of a 4 part series on how to research and buy a new car. It still doesn't cover everything but they're short videos.
Also Scotty Kilmer has some videos on what to look out for when buying a used car. He's a big meme here but some of his videos are really helpful.
>>
>>19402816
The engine I wanted to put in it isn't one that ever came in the car. It's a 280z shitbox with a surprisingly clean L28E and I was wanting to put an L33 in it.

> then what makes you think you can figure out a wire harness, pinning out an ECU soldering wiring, or Swapping an ECU to get the new engine to work?
Well, the fuel issues I think I can handle eventually, but the thought process with the wiring was that my dad was helping me with it and was complaining about how needlessly complicated the wiring on Japanese cars is, so I thought maybe an LS engine would be simpler in that regard. Or would the engine not really make a difference?
>>
I'm shopping for a new hot hatch (has to be new for reasons). I'm looking at the Focus ST and the Golf GTI. After test driving I pretty much think the GTI is better in every way, but the dealer incentives for the ST are fucking insane. Like a 7K difference in my area. Should I follow my heart and get the GTI or listen to my wallet and get the ST? Remember, buying used isn't an option for me.
>>
>>19404430
Is the GTI $7k better?
>>
08 Lexus IS 250, 132k miles, whats it worth? also is this gen of lexus IS models a good buy. i really like them
>>
>>19404471
Maybe? Things that put the GTI above the ST for me include the better and more tuneable engine, the 6 year warranty, the interior, the slightly better resale value, the DSG, the fact that it's not in danger of being discontinued, the lower insurance and less conspicuous looks, and the limited slip differential. I could actually go down a trim and have the difference be 4K and not include the LSD, but man I really really want that LSD.
>>
>>19404568
If you can afford it go for it
Better to get what you want than regret it, you're going to be losing a shitload of money on the purchase either way since you're buying new
>>
>>19404579
I'm mostly buying new because I have a bunch of incentives like college, military and workplace discounts, plus the ST and GTI have some common decent dealer discounts that put it below MSRP from the start. Is it worth buying used in spite of that? I'm not really into that 3k Civic life. When I was looking at used models the used STs honestly weren't that cheaper than new after rebates and there were hardly any GTIs with the LSD trim in a hundred mile radius.
>>
>>19404608
Like I said, go for it if you can get the car you want for a price you can afford. The longer you keep it, the better the return on investment but it''s still going to depreciate
>>
>>19404324
If you're swapping in another engine (that did not come stock with that model car) with fuel injection (which if your going to make decent power and fuel economy you'll want to) you're going to need to wire in a ECU, either through hacking up the current wiring harness or through a side by side method or an aftermarket stand alone.

Even if you go the Carbed LS route, you'll still need to wire in the Tachometer, fab engine mounts, fab mounts for a different and beefier transmission and differential get a custom driveshaft, and still have to fab shift linkages for the shifter, possibly adapt the fuel system, and lots of other crap I'm probably forgetting.
>>
File: IMG_0335.jpg (607 KB, 1632x1224)
607 KB
607 KB JPG
whats wrong with my front wheels? they also get really hot. Im guessing the breaks are sticking and or grinding? Anyway my front tires are discoloured compared to the rear tires.
>>
File: IMG_0336.jpg (801 KB, 1632x1224)
801 KB
801 KB JPG
>>19405076
>>
>>19405076
Yep you've got a stuck caliper
>>
What are the demographics of this board?
>>
>>19405076
make/model?
>>
>>19405140

no doubt nigga, same symptoms on my Mazda3 years ago - until white smoke started pouring out one day, brake pads were fully fukt at that point
>>
Anyone know of a good underbody primer that doesn't need professional painters tools to apply?

My front subframe is quite rusty although nothing alarming, but I still wanna remove all the rust and repaint it before it gets real serious.

Should I go for a zink based primer and quality paint afterwards or something two component epoxy like? I'd like it to be something tough so it doesn't need undercoating too.

Basically I'd prefer a single step but tough solution that a moron can apply without fancy tools, but barring that doesn't exist then I can accept a multi step solution.
>>
>>19405292
GMC Canyon 2006
>>
>>19405140
thanks dude
>>
>>19405282
White And Tarded.
>>
>>19403144
You could just get a mat to go over the dash
>>
>>19405282
18 year old busriders
30 year old boomers
65 year old hipsters
>>
Will a high down payment get me a lower price on the whole car?

Also how much under MSRP can one expect to pay for a new car? A realistic estimate.
>>
Anything wrong with Acura? I love their cars from what their website tells me but have zero personal experience.
>>
>>19405835
No
Depends
>>
Looking at a 2008 Subaru Impreza with about 70K miles on it for a DD, but i've always heard that Subarus have bad head gasket issues. How true is this?
>>
>>19405848
They're Honda's with makeup on.
>>
>>19405835
no
MSRP and not a cent more
>>
How are 2011+ Chargers as daily drivers?
Is Acura's SH AWD any different than a Haldex AWD system?
>>
>>19405835
>Also how much under MSRP can one expect to pay for a new car?
Don't listen to the boomers here. You can get up to 3k off on cars under 40k

And putting more down will mean you pay less interest so yes, you will pay less
>>
>>19405948
sometimes true. not a given. it's worth the risk imo
>>
>>19398752
Recommend me a good jack and some stands /o/
>>
Got a CEL for my cam position sensor that I've had since I changed the timing belt
If I clear the code it goes away for about 50 miles before coming back, that's got to be an issue with the sensor over the actual timing being off right?
>>
>>19406873
Not necessarily, doublecheck timing before ruling out a possibly expensive sensor
>>
>>19406677
Buy whatever is rated for the weight you are trying to lift.
Stands are literally just steel beams with a safety pin in the middle, can't really go wrong with those, as long as you are not trying to support two tons with a stand rated for half a ton.
>>
>Amerifag here

e90 335i or Corvette? Like the BMW for the room and the twin turbos but not the BMW tax on parts. Corvette has nice af engine but I'm unsure on the insurance for a 18 y/o with no tickets or accidents. Opinions?
>>
File: down like the economy.gif (25 KB, 580x330)
25 KB
25 KB GIF
Why is my fuel conomy going down the shitter?
last time i din even use the ac mostly
>>
Looking at some cars a couple hours' drive from me, is it autistic to call and ask about things like service records and get some basic info on the car to figure out if it's worth driving out there to check it out?
also looking at cars in other states, how terrible is it to buy a car in another state?
>>
File: 415pzKS5+IL._SX466_.jpg (18 KB, 466x466)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>19407414
How about pneumatic jacks like pic related? Does /o/ have a favorite one? I don't need a fancy one just one that won't fail after 3 uses.
>>
>>19407808
>Pneumatic
you mean hydraulic.
Anyway, just buy whatever you have in your favourite hardware store, jack failure is extremely unlikely if you use the proper jack for the weight you want to lift.
If your car weighs 2 tons, a 1.5 ton jack is perfectly fine because you will never lift the full weight of the car on it.

It's more likely that the car will slip or rock off the jack than the jack failing, unless you buy some obscure chink stuff from someone's backyard.
>>
>>19407792
that's not autistic, that's completely normal. no point driving all that way to find out it's a lemon. as for buying in a different state i do not know, for i am in a stateless country.
>>
>>19399929
not the anon you were talking to first but what about your voltage regulator if you have a dedicated one on your alt?
>>
I started getting terrible gas mileage, I went from roughly 600km a tank to close to 300km. I replaced the spark plugs and air filter and it made no difference. I'm getting no engine lights, and I don't notice it driving differently, so I don't think I fucked up the sparkplugs.
My window doesn't go down so it's hard to confirm, my the passenger can sometimes smell burnt gas/oil as he described it.
No leaks occurring(threw cardboard underneath the car overnight). Could the injectors be leaking onto the exhaust or other hot bits?
06 Civic (non SI, R18 engine) 400k+km
>>
My gf wants a new car, and asked me to help her pick one.

I don’t know shit about them; what are some ones I can suggest that make me look knowledgeable and are “cute” like she wants?
>>
>>19408406
Miata a cute.
A girl might think a new beetle is cute.
My gf says that classic minis are cute.
Does she have any preferences(Hatch 2/4 door, SUV)?
>>
>>19407078
Oh really? Mechanically everything must remain consistent right? What's throwing me is how it could run for a while before picking it up and putting the CEL on
>>
>>19408290
Yeah injectors can leak, it just evaporates away it won't drip on the ground. Usually you just need to replace the O rings. Get it nice and hot and open the hood and smell for gasoline.

I'm not too sure what else it could be. Maybe get a compression test done, you might also have a bad O2 sensor or bad/ dirty MAF. Those are just guesses.
>>
>>19408503
That's not unusual. It probably notices right away (which you can check with a scanner) but waits before turning on a CEL. Could be off by a few degrees, would still run OK.
>>
>>19408455
She wants a “small” car, so I think she means a compact/subcompact. Four door would probably be best, she car pools to work.
>>
>>19408626
New/used? Budget? Country or region? Some cares are more expensive or not sold in different regions.
A Honda Fit might be good, or an older civic. I have an 8th gen(2006-2011) that is stupidly reliable, cheap, and still kinda small and easy to drive.
Same with a toyota Corolla/Yaris/Echo.
Mazda 3's are good small cars, plus look how happy they are, I hear a lot of girls say they like them.
Chicks dig mini coopers.
Most of these cars are available as hatch/2 door/4 door. And can be found pretty differently.
Look at the sticky as well and see if anything there is "cute'.
>>
File: 1531156176208.jpg (1.86 MB, 2487x2487)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
So i saw pic related on /b/ (yeah i know, i'm an autist) and was wondering if anyone here knew what the small truck is in pic 68?
>>
>>19407446
get the 335i and get a jb4 tune and you'll be seeing corvettes in your rearview mirror
>>
File: 18746.jpg (42 KB, 600x450)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>19409033
Nissan B120/Sunny Truck
>>
why am i attracted to 2015+ kia souls? hatchbacks are my fav kind of car, and i always enjoy driving in something higher up, and i oddly really like them. haven't driven one yet but i kinda want one, looks really roomy inside and having a boxy hatch appeals to me. i dont care too much about kia's reliability as i know the souls are the most reliable out of any kia car. i dunno.
>>
>>19409090
Thanks dude
>>
>>19403795
If by jostled you mean the brakes being in contact with the barke disc and just barely touching it then thats normal, wheel should spin freely for 1-3 revolutions depending on model of the car and whatnot. Disc brakes are like that.

As for the sway bars if they SEEM fine then dont stress about it, they will make a clacking noise when theyre on their way out.

If the alignment guy cant tell you what is going on then im pretty sure hes a retard. There arent much possibilities other than incorrectly adjusted/tightened rod ends and shit. Check your own work and take a good look, you will figure out whats wrong in no time im sure.
>>
>>19409039
erm... how? Even with the added hp and torque, the c6 has slightly less then a tuned 335i but weighs 300 pounds less
>>
Can manual remote side mirrors be heated?

I have a 2000 Jetta and I'm worried the insurance company might have screwed me over, since the replacement they used gets foggy af

>inb4 tear the fucking door and look for cables
>>
>>19409466
Technically yes, but most cars that fit them with heaters are usually optioned to have electrically adjusted mirrors.
The heating element is glued to the back of the mirror glass, and it is possible to replace a non-heated mirror with a heated one.
>>
>>19409153
Dubstep hamsters, do you want to be reminded by them always?
>>
File: whyf.jpg (16 KB, 184x184)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>Take car for oil change
>Almost no oil on the dipstick, coolant low
>Mechanics say there are no leaks
>No check engine or oil lights
>No thick blue exhaust, no smoke from engine, no overheating

What can cause such oil consumption without any obvious symptoms of oil consumption? Is this a head gasket problem? I have an 03 Forester and those are known to have problems with the head gaskets.
>>
>>19409541
Piston rings wearing out causing oil to get into the cylinders and getting burned
>>
>>19409541
I had a similar thing happen to me
>hit a speed bump
>oil engine goes on a bit later
>SHIIIIT
>check oil
>barely any oil on the tip of the stick
>no oil on the floor or anywhere else

The stick tubing itself was broken and preventing the stick from reaching the oil.
>>
>>19409511
i honestly don't even think of them anymore when i see a soul, sure it was a retarded marketing campaign but i dont really care for it.
>>
File: fiesta99.jpg (57 KB, 600x400)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
So I got a Ford Fiesta Freestyle 2002 for £200 (approx. 265)
It's by no means my dream car but I bought it from someone I know (hence the cheap price)
It runs perfectly (60k~ miles) and only has some minor exterior damage
So did I get scammed or was this a decent price?
>>
File: IMG_20180709_171543902.jpg (1.8 MB, 3264x2448)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
So whats the trick for putting cv axles in?
I got the passenger side in
I could reach the tranny from outside the car
But the driver side one I have to be under the car and I can't get any leverage and it just won't go in

Help pls
>>
>>19410076

From what i remember from some videos i watched, you just keep spinning it and give it a little tap at the end over and over until it get the little ring where it needs to be. Don't be too rough, don't want to F anything.

>>19409826

>buys a mechanically sound car for 300 dollars and is asking if he got fucked
>>
Just got an f150 platinum 2011 Ecoboost

Any tips tricks or maintenance things I should know? Really anything at all. Only truck I've had before was a yota 2004 4 banger.
>>
If I’m buying an engine to swap in that comes with a manual transmission attached, do I need to do anything else when I swap in the engine for the manual trans to work?
>>
>>19409826
nah bru should have made that cuck pay you $265 to haul it away
>>
>>19410395
The car is automatic right now, if that wasn’t clear from the post.
>>
>>19410384
Nah I got it
There's a clip it needs to get past and it's quite stiff
I just put a wrench against it and the exhaust and it popped right in

Thanks though
>>
>>19409826
You can't get scammed for that little money unless it's literally going to explode right now
>>
>>19402119
People put 195s with much thinner sidewalls on much wider wheels. You'll be fine. The 195 is less than half an inch wider than the 185.
>>
Can DEF eat your skin? Had to empty 4.5 gallons of it into 2 trucks today and noticed afterwards that there were patches on my hands that wernt dirty like the rest of my hands. When i looked closer it looked like i had a lots of dead skin over my hands and i could pull a lot of it off. I washed my hands twice after i messed with the DEF, but i didnt mess with any other chemicals or anything that would of eaten my skin like that. I looked it up and urea isnt acidic when dissolved in water, and DEF is mostly water with some urea in it so i dont see how it did that to my hands
>>
Need opinions. Have ‘09 e90 with halogen headlights. Now that my car has been paid off for a few years and I’ve enjoyed not having to put any money into it I want to do something I’ve always put off and that is to change my headlights a bit.

I have several options

1. OEM xenon headlight swap ~$2000. Too expensive to realistically do this unless someone gifted me a set of OEM headlights

2. Keep my OEM halogen headlights and replace bulbs with whiter bulbs and add a cost effective aftermarket led bulb to brighten the angel eyes (lux e90 LCI halogen v3 kit) ~$170

3. Buy depot headlights which come with factory installed LED angel eyes and a projector low beam instead of an old school reflector and a power system that turns on the angel eyes whenever the car is running without effecting high beam or running light functions. Link below. ~500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-DRL-LED-Angel-Halo-Clear-Headlight-For-2006-11-BMW-E90-Stock-Halogen-Model/152909753166?epid=20013215899&hash=item239a21ab4e:g:~DwAAOSw1NpahiqL

Personally I like the idea of the depot’s led angel eyes and the aesthetics of moving to a projector headlight but at $500 and the fact that they’re not OEM seems risky. The second option I listed would allow me to kind of get what I want and at a fraction of the price but I’m afraid I won’t be satisfied.

Thoughts?
>>
>>19409466
On my e36 the mirror glass gets warm, it's quite noticeable if you just touch it after the car has been running for a bit. Maybe try that? Compare the temperature of each side
>>
>>19409466
>>19410797
Oh also, you should be able to just get your finger behind the glass and pull it out. Check for wires. It'll just clip back in
>>
>>19410393
I'd go to a ford dealer and see what the service/maintenance intervals are and what they recommend

obviously they'll try to rape your wallet but you'll have a list of what ford recommends and you can go from there.

or if that information is online you can just look it up idk.
>>
My driver's seat in my Civic is loose even though I tightened the rails. What could it be? Bushings?
>>
>>19410393
Apart from the obvious maintenance stuff, you'll have to worry about carbon build up on the valves. Early direct injection... probably already pretty bad. Does it still run OK?
>>
>>19411049
How the fuck are we supposed to know? Look at where it's loose when you move it.
>>
>>1941087il
>>19411065
Yeah seems to run great. Sometimes the shift between 1st and 2nd seems a bit rough. But other than that I haven't noticed any engine issues.
>>
buying my first car.

does this seem like a good deal? If not what kind of offer should I make?

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Corolla/ORANGEVILLE/Ontario/19_10718333_/
>>
>>19406677
The red hyper tough ones from Walmart are pretty cool I like how they're slightly smaller than all the other brands which for me makes life easier. Most trolley jacks like the one you posted just don't last very long and it can be difficult to get the car high enough but they are only like $20 which isn't bad if you only need a few uses. You could always just stick a board under it if you have to. I've tried a few different ones and it seems like they are all the same. Get the black panther one from Walmart.com because atleast you can get a nice 2 year warranty for only a few bucks
>>
>>19411127
Seriously look into carbon buildup on the valves, you need to educate yourself on that.
>>
I have a bone stock 2002 6 speed miata. When I start driving, as the car warms up the throttle is very touchy and acceleration is super jerky. It gets better as the car warms up.

Any ideas what it could be?
>>
>>19399238
realoem.com
>>
>>19411162
Seems OK. Get it checked out by a mechanic and a body shop if posssible.
>>
>>19411189
Bad throttle position sensor?
>>
>>19411162

3,300 for a Corolla on steelies not even including his winter tires in that price either. Does it even have a safety, i can't see if it does. I mean it looks pretty clean at least. Maybe try to get it for a flat 3,000 or something. Take it for a test drive, if you don't know how to drive stick then get someone who does to.
>>
File: 1526074932510.jpg (115 KB, 676x960)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>19411185
Thank you I will certainly look into that.
>>
>>19411193
yeah. it seems clean, but i feel like a more through look could reveal some problems.

>>19411213
>Does it even have a safety, i can't see if it does

it doesn't. I'd have to get it safetied and e-tested. I can drive stick well enough so test driving is no problem. I was thinking about offering $2500 as a lowball to work up to 3k with winter-tires or something.
>>
File: 1523803620570.jpg (44 KB, 599x600)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
This might seem kinda dumb, but here goes nothing.
I plan on getting myself a new car by the end of the year, thing is I have narrowed it down to either a 4-door Whilly's Wheeler JK, or a V8 Challenger R/T (5.7 Hemi). On one hand, the Jeep is something I can certainly keep for life because once I have a family, it's already there for utility, and I can get one that's ready for off-roading with locking diffs straight off the lot if I want. On the other, muscle cars and their V8 engines make my dick hard(thanks mad max), and the 5.7 Hemi Challenger gives me that while being more affordable and more suitable as a daily driver, since it doesn't go through gas quite as quickly as more powerful V8s. That being said, either car will serve as a gateway for me getting into cars fully as they both tickle my fancy in a special way.
Not really expecting a definitive answer, would just like some insight from legitimate car enthusiasts as to what they would choose and why. Doesn't even have to be between the two I mentioned.
>>
>>19411236

I mean, you want to know if it can pass safety without any problems. 3,300 without winter tires, no safety or e-test lol fuck that dude. The only thing i would say is if that work he says that got done did get done then it adds a bit of value but not really your problem for him paying for that. I got my 07 mazda3 hatch 2.3l 5spd for 4,000 with a safety and etest etc i kind of got ripped off at a stealership too not even trying to get a lower price just wanted my first car. Came with nice stock mazda alloys etc. So i think you should def lower the price by a bit.
>>
>>19411281
thanks for the advice man. really appreciate it!
>>
>>19411316

Also get a quote on insurance on that car, since it will be your first car you probably don't have much of an insurance record. I don't know if you live up in orangeville or are just going up there to buy it but the rates are insane in Ontario. The more common the car the higher the rates are because that means more claims, it is a retarded system.
>>
Is ethanol treatment necessary if I’m going to let my car sit for ~60 days?
>>
I was thinking of selling my ‘01 Saleen S281 worth about $15,000 and using 6k to buy a decent used bike and the rest to further increase my emergency fund. I’ll also get my carnage back for my daily driver.

Talk me out of it.
>>
>>19411273
Get the Challenger so you can plow your boat into a pole and not sound like the Cartard you are.

A legit car enthusiast would pick neither, as they're both Fiat-Chrysler product, and can't handle or do anything remarkable that an older cheaper car or truck could do.
>>
>>19409466
They usually activate together with the rear defogger, unless there is a specific button for the mirrors.
Try running the defogger a bit and see if the mirro that wasn't replaced becomes warm to the touch, if that's the case and if the new mirror doesn't do the same, then they used the wrong replacement or the guy fitting the mirror forgot to plug the wires.
>>
>>19410076
There is a little C clip at the end of the spline (like pic related) that sometimes gets stuck and blocks the joint from going in completely.
Engage a low gear on the gearbox, spin the shaft while you push it and tap the outer end with a soft hammer or a piece of wood or whatever, it should go in eventually.
>>
best 2 seater convertible under $100k USD?
>>
>>19411459
No, I've had gas sit 3-4 months without an issue.
>>
>>19412841
Mazda MX-5 ND
Porsche Cayman
Lotus Evora Roadster
Alfa Romeo 4c
>>
>>19399956
Light means ~1-2 gallons left in my car. Drove 45 miles with the light on and had half a gallon left. Would not recommend pushing it
>>
>>19398752
Hey guys I got a sr4 mustang transmission to put behind my i6,
Where the fuck do i find a complete shift lever assembly
>>
>>19412869
Thanks

>>19413036
Junkyard, aftermarket parts site
Just look for mustang parts vendors I’m sure somebody has a shift lever assembly lying around that they could ship you
>>
File: 1515798374645.jpg (312 KB, 1280x720)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
I need some help here, basically im choosing between rebuilding my NA engine or just replacing it (same engine)

the problem is, its a 1.8 and those werent sold here. Where in europe can I buy used engines, I tried ebay but all I get are american sites, and if I imported it from the US it'd be even more expensive

I could go balls to the wall and do a proper swap, but I dont know what engine would actually fit (the LS is out of the question) and what would be the cheapest, I was thinking 13b for shits and giggles but its my daily so reliability would be an issue
>>
>>19413112
A Jaguar v6 swap has been done and is badass. Should be available over there. Honda k24 swap is another good one. Don't put a 13b in, I've only heard of one being done on a miata and it was a huge PITA. Not that any engine swap is easy.

Were 1.8s really never sold over there? You could put a 1.6 in and spend a little money on power mods to get to the power output of a 1.8, probably cheaper and easier than a swap.
>>
>>19413112
Oh, or crapengineering makes a Mazda KL swap kit that is cheap and easy according to him. Look him up on FB.
>>
>>19413141
Yeah the swap is basically a crazy idea but since I'd be replacing the engine I could go all out

and no, they werent sold here, maybe up north in germany and GB, but mine is one of only 3 1.8s in the country, all american imports, and its the reason why I dont really want to swap it to a 1.6

I really want to find a used engine or maybe a crashed one with a good engine. Dont really know where to look, tried ebay and shit, but most of the engines there are in the US

the V6 sounds amazing but as a daily it'd be way to expensive to fuel
>>
I want to learn about cars. I'm pretty young and can't buy a car, but I want to know how they work
and understand the kinds of things discussed on here. Where do I start?
>>
>>19413270
Google or search on Wikipedia all the terms you see that you don't know, start surfing Wikipedia on broad subjects like engines, suspensions, physics of handling and stuff like that.
Once you feel you got the hang of a few things, you can start expanding your search on more focused websites or books.

If you are really determined, you can buy a high-school-level book about cars, this way you have at least some sort of "path" to follow to learn the basics.

There is a huge amount of information to know about cars, it's gonna be a long road
>>
>>19399524

make sure to check the manual for wheel size parameters. in europe we need permits if we want to have wheels that are bigger or smaller than what is adviced by the manufacturer.
>>
>>19401201
>automatic

are you driving it or racing it
>>
I don't know too much about cars but want to help my mom out because her dd is about to break down

00 Buick Century, constantly overheating, can't run for more than an hour at a time, she refills coolant at least once a week. She says there are no leaks but she's also kind of retarded so I don't trust that.

Anything i can do or read that will point me in the right direction? The car has all kinds of other problems and she doesn't perform regular maintenance on it so if I have to spend more than $150 to fix then fuck it
>>
>>19413783
Yes, it will be more expensive than that.
Probably internal leak from the head gasket (coolant leaks into the cylinders and then goes out from the exhaust) if there are no actual leaks on the outside
>>
>>19413783
>if I have to spend more than $150 to fix then fuck it

Other than changing oil or spark plugs every repair a car might need is likely going to be more than $150.
>>
File: 58c1c6e511a9-800x600.jpg (130 KB, 800x600)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Had some thumping sounds in the right rear part when going over potholes or braking.

It has progresively gotten worse over 3 years, and every mechanic I went to its more trouble than its worth it and just returned the car to me.
Its been getting really violent lately and feels like a "loose thump". I need to go for a 200 mile trip today after which I will replace it.
My question is, how safe it is and what could it be?
Its a 90's corolla pic related.
>>
>>19414063
Sway bar link (if any), loose pipes/cables, broken damper mounts.
Just lay down there and have a look
>>
>>19414102
I already have, multiple times, and I tried shaking every part possible, and nothing looks loose. but apparently the force isn't enough and it has to be either hard breaking or pothole or me rocking the trunk up and down real hard.

I can't figure it out (no loose pipes/cables for sure) its very simple car.

Although now that I figure out the sound on some videos, it sounds like broken damper mounts.
How do I check?
>>
>>19414156
Then again, it sounds like sway bar link sound too...
>>
>>19414166
Does your car have independent rear suspension? If no, then you don't have a sway bar either, so don't worry about that if it's the case.
If you do have a sway bar, then try lifting the whole rear up, grab the link and then try to shake it hard, it should only rotate about its ball joints, no other movement or free play of any kind. Don't try this with the car on the ground, as it will be harder to find any problem on the link.

To check the mounts, try to look at them from inside the car or the trunk while you rock the car like you usually do when you hear the noise. You should see absolutely no moving parts anywhere. If anything moves, then it's broken.
Sometimes the top bushing wears down and allows for the damper to scrape/hit the top mount, other times the piston simply pierces through the top mount, but you should also notice a weird handling behaviour on top of the noise.
You may or may not need to remove some carpentry or plastic trims to reach the top mount from inside.
>>
>>19414230
*Carpetry
>>
>>19414230
Does repair need any specialized tools or should I just take it to the shop?
I mean, if its not something that needs expertise, I'd like to try and learn.
Anything I could fuck up (besides coilspring hitting my head when removing it)?
>>
>>19414289
If it's the link, then it's literally just two nuts and job done.
If it's the shocks then it's a bit more complicated, but nothing too difficult.
Depending on the suspension layout, you may not even need to remove the springs (some cars with a torsion beam at the rear have dampers separate from the springs), so don't worry too much about it.
At worst, you will need to buy/borrow a spring compressor if you already have basic tools.
>>
in what scenarios is leasing better than buying?
>>
>>19414307
Thanks for all the help! I will make sure to fix it myself.
Also when you said to look from the inside of the car you meant look on top mount from the inside, right?
>>
what's the best sedan for going through a flooded street? get about 6 inches of water every few months. not enough to make me want a suv
>>
>>19414349
if you need to change cars a lot. maybe you don't want the committment of buying a car because you're waiting for a future year model.
>>
>>19414576
New Taurus maybe cause it's so tall.
>>
>>19414349
If it's a car you wouldn't want to own outside warranty, like an expensive luxury car.
Leases also give you a longer period to make payments on an expensive car that you want to own. Lease for three years then finance for five. Not smart but lowers monthly payment.

It can also make sense under certain situations for a company vehicle from a tax aspect.

>>19414576
Or Legacy
>>
>>19414507
Yes, look at the top of the top mount from the inside of the car. You should only see the bolt holding the piston to the top plate and the bolts holding the plate to the chassis.
>>
>>19414997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHx_cge_s6Q
Will doing this check suffice?
>>
>>19400095
Did you actually test the idle regulator? You can remove it and leave the bypass input to the TB/intake open and regulate the idle yourself with a finger. Depending on the designof the idle control valve, you can check whether it's actually operating. And of course you can see if the engine runs without it - if you can "hand-regulate" the idle down to normal RPMs and it stays alive, you know something's wrong with the idle control.
>>
>>19405076
check with a paper towl or your finger to see if that shit is oily if caliper isnt sticking/leaking that might be a wheel bearing going out on you is it 2 wheel drive?
>>
>>19398752
If my car is making that gurgling noise you hear when there's air in the coolant system but the engine isn't overheating or anything can it still cause damage?
I need to use it tomorrow and I don't have time to bleed it right now
>>
thinking about getting a used miata but the owner said it had an exhaust leak. I thought I noticed a bit of smoke coming out of the hood when the car was stopped as well. Obviously I won't get the car without letting a mechanic see it first, and it seems to drive alright. Should I get this one or keep looking?
>>
What’s this?
>>
Does anyone have a recommendation for a tire pump? Just looking to keep the tires properly inflated. Bonus if its small enough take on long or questionable trips. Does /o/ even use these?
>>
>>19415686
weight for balancing tires
>>
>>19401444
hard top s2k
>>
File: Acpro.jpg (16 KB, 500x500)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
My AC is blowing cool, not cold air and it's 90 fucking degrees out. Should I spring for that $35 can of coolant with a gauge on it, or is there some way I can diagnose this myself before laying out cash?
>>
>>19413695
It's a DD
>>
File: th[1].jpg (24 KB, 474x436)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>19416144
Only one thing I can think of that causes cool but not cold air, which is in fact a low refridgerant.

You can pre-emptively check your refrigerant by popping open your hood and looking at the A/C compressor. Looks like the pic and it's mounted to the engine with a belt driving it.

The compressor has a clutch built into it so that it can turn itself on/off while the belt is still turning. You should see a part on the front of it spinning when your A/C is on full blast and not spinning while it's off.

If your A/C is on full blast and you notice it's going back and forth between spinning and not spinning, you're low on refrigerant but not empty.
>>
>>19416433
good tip, thanks m80
>>
>>19416050
Ones that use detachable batteries that also can be used for other tools like a impact wrench are the best.
>>
>>19415634
Does it run fine, did the smoke smell like antifreeze?
>>
>>19415078
If you can, then do it, not all bushings are accessible from the top like that though, some require you to drop the whole strut.
Anyway, since you are able to replicate the noise by rocking the car, I suggest you first do a visual check while the noise happens.
>>
what kind of car should i buy for brutal daily hooning? my current shitbox seems kinda fragile for my driving style
>>
why are used porsches so fucking expensive in australia
>>
i was looking up torque wrench settings
one said 'FNT'
what does FNT mean?
>>
>>19399040
Maybe a focus or fiesta st?
>>
So my love of Suzuki is driving me to go from my sx4 to a kizashi. Anyone own one? How was it?
>>
Got a 2000 Frontier. Has a problem sustaining fuel pressure. I put a new fuel pump in and it's doing the same thing. When it gets hot it stops sustaining. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.
>>
>>19419298
Google says it could be your fuel lines
>>
Should I buy a BMW M3/4 once the next generation pops up so I can save thousands of dollars? I already saw the advancements via the new BMW X3/4 and M5 series; just refined interior design, more gimmicks, and a digital dash on goddamn M cars (hate it).
>>
ford focus hatch y/n?
>>
How the fuck do i get rid of my current car that i owe 15k on amd max trade in is 10k I hate the fucking car so much
>>
Why the fuck r genesis coupes so cheap?? Whats wrong with them
>>
>>19420595
>Hyundai
>>
New to driving a manual, Do I still have to let the clutch out slow and smooth if I rev match downshift or can I just pop it out?

I'm being taught by my boomer dad who only knows how to granny shift
>>
>>19420779
Why are you trying to learn rev matching if you are still learning to drive normally?
>>
sup /o/

Ever used gasket sealant before? If i use it alongside an actual gasket, how long will it take to set? Asking because I am considering using it on an oil pan gasket, but it's a bitch to get back in the car under the subframe, will probably take like 10-15 minutes of fighting with it
>>
>>19421094
for the smooth downshifts and less wear on the clutch
>>
>test drive car on Craigslist
>Ad said 3.5k firm cash only
>Guy says it's his mom's car
>Mom just put into hospice care, doesn't want to pay insurance anymore
>Tell him I just moved and won't be able to get cash until Friday
>He says he would take a check, wait for it to clear then sign everything
>Told him I'd just wait

He wasn't pushy or anything and I didn't get bad vibes from him but is that weird that he suggested a check? Also the Carfax he gave me says only 1 owner which must be his hospice ridden mom, would that complicate the selling process? It's a 99 grand Marquis with 55k miles and seems in p good shape, he said it's been in the garage for a while and just taken out for oil changes / inspections which is all on the Carfax.
>>
>>19398752
New to /o/, I'm shifting my autism to cars. Currently fucking with my Camry and learning a lot, looking for something more fun though. Is a $1900 used 2003 Jaguar X with 120k miles a bad idea or a bad idea?
>>
If you get pulled over with garage/storage insurance will the cop's system tell them you arent supposed to be driving the car, or will it say your insurance is valid and current just like if you didnt have garage insurance?
>>
File: 1447630941210.jpg (54 KB, 640x495)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>19421986
>jag
>euro trash
>kinda cheap
3 big red flags right there. Idk about jags specifically, but all euro trash has a rep for breaking a lot, being a bitch to fix due to stupid design choices, and expensive if you need replacement parts. If youre fine with wasting a lot more time and money on it than if youd gotten something common like a civic or a miata then sure. Pic related, its not for a jag but VW is still euro trash thats hard to work on
Somewhat low miles and the cheap price makes me think its got issues already. Id say to pass it up in favour of something easier to work on. Doesnt have to be a civic or miata, lots of 80s-2000s hondas arent too bad to work on, and theres a hundred guides/forums online for anything youd need to replace on almost any of them
>>
>>19422127
Supposedly the price is because they're moving soon. Ty for the feedback. I'm working with reliable and basic, now trying to scratch that snowflake itch I guess.
>>
would a 1zz-fe bolt on TRD supercharger kit for a Corolla fit onto a 1zz-fed MR2 spyder with relative ease or am i better off just getting a stand alone supercharger and having the rest fabricated?
>>
>>19421134
Usually takes a day or so to set, but if you take longer than 30 mins itll be too tacky probably won't seal well. I've used it on a regular gasket to ensure a proper seal but I've still waited a day or two before using the car again.
>>
I want a 2005 Honda Accord 5-Spd because it's a manual that's big, not a civic, reliable, good gas mileage, etc. I really have a big emphasis on my vehicle being manual. I used to drive a 07 Ford Focus manual and I hate all the automatics I've driven because it's just no fun.

Now, apparently doing a manual swap on a Crown Vic isn't that big of an ordeal because you can just use a transmission from a mustang and it'll bolt on, you just need to mess around to get the driveshaft to mate and either get a clutch pedal from one of those guys who make them online or DIY it from a mustang of that year.

My coworker also said his father in law wants to sell his '04 Buick LeSabre with 50,000 km on it, which is extremely low for 3000 Canadia bucks.

So my questions are, is the gas mileage really that much worse with a Crown Vic? Am I wrong to want a Crown Vic? I really like the way they look, it's just that they don't come in manual, but with a bit of fucking around I can make it manual. Are there any better cars that look like a crown vic that aren't older than like 2000 that I could easily make or buy as manual? And what about the Buick LeSabre? Like, is it so much a better car then the Crown Vic that I should just get that?

I don't want a P71 Crown Vic, a civilian one in civilian colours like red, with the regular civilian interior is what I want, I don't want some gutted ex cop car fuck that
>>
>>19398752
why did some retard tell me i cant do an LS swap in my 91 landcruiser
>>
File: 1988_Ford_Escort_214.jpg (158 KB, 1552x962)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>19398752
What's it take to get a car reinspected to get a title and tag?
Found a bro selling an 88 Ford Escort (not my pic, similar condition) for 250 bucks.

>side gets backed into by cunt on her phone inna Dueley
>door gets fucked leaving a gap between door and frame
>car is marked it as totalled due to the gap being too wide
>frame looks fine, dent is mostly taken out of door, still would like to get a new one
>some cunt smashes the wiper blade through the windshield

She runs fine, just needs a door and windshield.

How much would it cost to be reinspected? What should all be cleaned up and fixed on the car? I live in Central Georgia.
>>
anyone know how much torque a stock manual in a brz can handle? the internet is just giving me wildly different figures
>>
>>19398752
I want to buy some harbor freight breaker bars, will the physical store take the coupon checkout codes I keep finding online?
>>
>>19421459
You can downshift smoothly even without rev matching, and clutch wear during gearshifts is negligible already (what really wears down clutches are standing starts), but to answer your question, you can just pop the clutch out since that's kinda the whole point of rev matching
>>
Is there any way to run diesel in, like, a lawnmower sized engine? It doesn't even have to be practical.
>>
>>19398752
Power window was fucked. I spent a day and changed the regulator and motor. Now it works, but it's slow and shuddery. I've noticed that there is green shit on the outside under the seal, and when I wind the window up there is a residue.

So I think the window was fucked long before I brought the car, and some sort of moss or mould has gotten in there. How do I clean it out? Just wind the window down, and scrape it out?

And is there any kind of lubricant I can use? I want this new motor to last a long fucking time.

Is there any reason I shouldn't just spray the fucker with wd40 and let the wrench gods decide if it dies?
>>
>>19424137
You can just tear down the window gasket to clean it better, then spray all inside it with PTFE based lubricant or something else that doesn't drip too much and doesn't smell bad.
You could also open the door panel again and clean the window guides that are hidden inside it if you really want to make sure there is nothing blocking movements
>>
>>19424149
For some reason I didn't think of just removing the gasket. Thanks anon, I'll get some PTFE based lubricant tomorrow.
>>
So I accidentally installed my AC receiver drier backwards. I thought I knew which way the gas was supposed to flow, but turns out I was wrong according to the viewing window on it. And yes, it has "in" stamped on the fittings so it is directional. Is it going to hurt anything? If I have to drain it, it will be the third time I'd be filling it up cuz I fucked it up the first two times like an idiot.
>>
>>19409826
A good deal. A bit of maintenance and it will run for miles and miles.
>>
File: slaveowners.jpg (85 KB, 800x600)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>19398752
what is better: automatic or manual transmission?
>>
>>19420583
Take the hit and get a new car. Depending on what new features and options you could get trading in it might not be a full 5k loss and you wont want to kill yourself
>>
>>19424679
seamless sequential manual with so many computer assists that "enthusiasts" say it's pretty much an auto and the somehow same thing as a torque converter+planetary gears or a DCT because it doesn't have a floppy stick with a neutral between each gear
>>
As someone who has done almost everything to a car apart from serious engine and transmission work, would it be advisable to get a cheap NA miata with a blown engine and drop in the 1.6 I happen to have lying around?
>>
>>19418567
Depends what else you want out of the car. Something like a p71 will take a lot of bullshit before it gives up. I also recommend just about any old manual pickup, small or full size.
>>
>>19424498
Go to a shop for an AC refill, tell them your system is already full, ask if they can just drain it so you can do your job and refill it later
That way you don't have to pay for new gas that is becoming extremely expensive lately and you won't pollute.
>>
I just moved to Florida and I need to register my car, but the title got lost in the mail. Will they accept a photocopy of it or do I need to get a new title?
>>
Where can I read about car lore?
>>
>>19398752
>>19398752
7k too much for an 03 wrx?
>134k on body
>60k on new engine from japan
>idles very smooth
>2 owners
>no accidents
>new turbo
>unknown intake an exhaust
>body in good condition
>interior very clean
>brand new clutch
>brand new shifter bushings
didn't have time to test drive it. just started it and looked at everything
>>
>>19426022
Lore?
>>
>>19423458
If you take a little Briggs and Stratton and modify it to run on diesels odds are it's going to blow up on you.
>>
>>19426490
Check the rear seal that shits leaks often and leaks like a mother fucker, nit pick some bullshit and jew him down to 6.3k or so
>>
Anyone tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong? I'm setting ignition timing on my POS 85 sr5 corolla, I've tried setting it both 5 and 10 degrees before what I believe to be TDC and set the distributor rotor to the number one cylinder. Every time I try to start it I here strange sounds and the car refuses to start.
>>
can anyone identify pic related?
>>
>>19405319
>good underbody primer
>doesn't need professional painter tools

Just do the tried and true oil coating.
>Old paint brush you sort of got clean
>Bucket of used gear oil/engine oil
>>
>>19413783
Check water pump

Not positive if the century got them, but the plastic elbows tend to break and leak.

However coolant doesn't evaporate, so if it was leaking she'd probably know it.
>>
>>19424679
jews are white
at the very least jews and whites are in bed with each other
>>
>>19427096
There’s safardic Jews and Aschinagi jews
>>
what is a moonroof visor supposed to do and is it effective?
>>
>>19427098
A Jew is a Jew just like to them a goy is a goy
>>
Should I be worried about buying a police trade in charger for 10k with 80k miles on it?
>>
File: Bridgestone__7_.jpg (1.73 MB, 4896x3264)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
What's your opinion on Firehawk and Potenza tires?
>>
how do you fellas go about negotiations? About to buy my first car so I've been reading pursuasion techniques by the dilbert guy and art of the deal etc. I plan on following the inspection guide in the sticky and taking it for a good test drive as well before making any offers.

Basically I plan on starting off with a defensible lowball and going from there.
>>
anyone ever taken a gamble on a ebay motors car without going to drive it first. like 5 to 6 thousand range. Do you show up after you win and then drive it. whats the deal.
>>
Need to buy a (used) car, only have experience buying bikes.
The only thing that makes me unsure about pulling the trigger on a Celica is that it has been sitting in the dealer's lot for about 3 months and now the brake disks have surface rust, and the pads left noticeable "raises" on them (basically additional rust(?) where the pads sat on the disks for that time). You can feel them when braking, it's making a clunking sound when braking as the pads hit the edges of those raises.
After a 30 minute test drive the surface rust was partially gone obviously. I'm slightly worried that the raised bits might fuck up the pads though, which in turn are going to damage the disks later on. Is this justified? Should I use that as a bargaining point to get new disks/pads installed? I doubt they'll do it, I'm guessing I'll get a free oil change (lol) out of it at most.
>>
>>19428414
Surface rust isn't really a problem, it's normal for cars that have been sitting for long periods.
Anyway, it's not like you have much bargaining power, pads are cheap as dirt. Maybe just ask them if they can change pads for you before selling the car, or just deal with it and change them yourself when you get the car, it's not like it's an expensive fix
>>
>>19428545
Cheers, guess I'll buy it then.
>>
pretty sure I have a boost leak, but im not sure where, whats a good and easy way to find it myself? 03 wrx
>>
Anyone here own a hondafit ? I'm wondering is it possible to transport two pairs of skis in the back with only the rear seat folded down ?
>>
>>19428110
>art of the deal
hahahahahaha

Don't listen to shart of the deal

This is what you do. Go in to the shop and tell the salesman you're interested in a car but not buying today. Then have him tell you about cars. Test drive one or a few then tell the dealer you're going to shop around and then leave. Go back in 3 days and say you're ready to buy. You may or may not test drive again. It depends on the car but offer $2k under sticker price. You can do more research on the car if you want but $2kunder is generally a good offer. If he doesn't bite, ask him to get the manager and make the offer to the manager. If those two don't bite, either pay what they want (there's no shame in this) or leave and find a different car. DON'T do the boomer haggling wjere you haggle over $100, it's just a waste of time and you're embarrassing yourself if you do.

Okay so if you guys agree on the price, the next step is to set financing rates. It's important to know that these can be negotiated too. BUT it's dependent on your credit. If you have shit credit, you're out of luck. If your credit is good, you have some leverage. So what you wanna remember when you talk about financing is to do it in terms of total price paid for the car. You want to be paying as little interest as possible. So when he is offering a rate, respond with "and how much would I have paid for the car at that rate?" Expect to pay a few thousand more than the original agreed on price when interest is included.

Then they offer warranties. Up to you if you want them. Some are good deals, some aren't

>Basically I plan on starting off with a defensible lowball and going from there

Again, don't do this:

>car is $30k
>offer $24k
>dealer says $28k is lowest he can go
>you say $25k
>dealer says $28k is lowest
>you say $26k, dealer says 28
>you say 27, dealer says 28
>you say 27.5, dealer takes it to manager who says 27.7
>>
>>19428869
I have one but I don't know how long skis are
>>
>>19398752
I have an AU2 Falcon, and I want to get it ready to take around Australia some time in the next few months. For those who cbf'd googling, it's a 6cy sedan. What kind of modifications or improvements could or should I make for long road trips in hot weather?

It's a shitbox beater I restored, and it's in decent condition now, but I really just want a list of shit I could/should do to make the trip go more smoothley.
>>
>>19429071
Mines are 180cm or about 71 inches
>>
>>19429064
What about for private deals ?
>>
File: 1512536649278.jpg (16 KB, 400x300)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
im a complete brainlet, if i want to (very roughly) determine the acceleration capability of a car i need to divide its max torque by the wet weight right?
>>
File: IMG_1366.jpg (1.82 MB, 4032x3024)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
hey br/o/s

im trying to remove an old Thule bike rack from my car, i got it in either 2009 or 2010. I have no clue how to remove it and all other guides i find online are for newer models, does anybody know how to remove it?
>>
>>19429436

Sawzall
>>
>>19429363
Can't really use torque to calculate acceleration, you need a force, measured in N (Newtons), as opposed to the Nm (Newtonmeters) used to measure torque.
To do that, you need to divide the torque by the lever arm (in this case the radius of your wheels) using Newtonmeters for torque and meters for the arm for easier calculations.
Now you have your force that you can use to calculate acceleration.
Keep in mind the actual torque being applied to the wheels is not the standard torque value the engine is rated for, but it changes with each gear and it is eventually multiplied again by your final drive, so keep the ratios in mind when you do your math.

A much faster and more practical way, even if somewhat less precise, is to just measure the initial velocity when you start accelerating and the final velocity when you stop, and then divide the difference between those by the time it took for that difference to happen.

There are many online calculators to convert torque to force and to convert everything to whatever unit of measurement you want.
>>
How much power can a NA 4 banger make?
>>
>>19431164
'bout 350
>>
Is heatsoke a meme?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.