[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 91plLuMLngL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (178 KB, 1500x486)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>Post yo dumbass questions that don't need to shit up the catalog here

Is there a big difference between notched and straight serpentine belts? Is one inherently better or worse than the other? A notched one for my car is $30 while a straight one is $21. I don't care about the price, I just want the better one.
>>
>>19956429
Just get a Goodyear Gatorback and call it a day.
>>
>>19956436
I'm guessing the gatorback has a notched pattern, so I ask what makes it better
>>
>>19956429
It's slightly more tolerant of the pulleys being misaligned, which means less chance of squealing belts.
>>
Time to get a new car,
Which one is better between the E55 and E63 built until 2009?
Or should I wait until January and get a C63?
>>
>Want aftermarket seats
>will lose seat airbags
Is it worth it?
>>
Got a large crossover.

Is there something I can buy to keep all my shit from sliding around in the back? like some kind of straps? I've been googling around but I keep finding roof top tie downs, I don't know the right terminology for shit in the normal trunk.
>>
>>19957235
just keep crates in your boot (trunk) and put stuff in those
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>19957235
>Got a large crossover.
>>
>>19957250
the thing is sometimes I keep all 3 rows up and sometimes I keep the 3rd row down so I have a bunch of space, so I need a more dynamic solution.

I remember my parent's old minivan had some clips like 10 years ago that would make a miniwall. I clearly see there are areas to attach clips in my car, so there must be something..
>>
Where the fuck is the ECT sensor on a grand vitara 99 2.5l v6

;_;
>>
Can [local auto parts chain store] battery chargers bring a completely dead 750cca 12v battery back to life?

Hard parked a second car with just such a battery, never meant to never drive it and never got around to pulling the ground terminal off because I figured I'd eventually get in it but 6 months later and such an opportunity finally arose.

So the battery is 100% dead. I took it to GET IN THE ZONE and they said to come back in about 2 hours. I did, the rep took me back and showed me that it was at about 1.5V. Said there's a small possibility that the other rep who took my battery might have fucked up and selected the default 6V setting, so they restarted the charge cycle with the 12v setting and told me to call back in an hour to see if it worked.

Well, either way I'm going to go back in person (because if it failed, well, I'll need a new battery anyway, and I want to make sure they don't lie to me to sell me new shit I don't need), but now as I wait another hour, I'm curious to know whether the charge will come back, or if I stupidly killed what was a new battery just a year and a half ago.

Anyone know what the chances of resurrection are?
>>
>>19957457
Car batteries damage themselves internally when totally 100% discharged. Your shit's dead, you need a new battery.
>>
>>19957463
Fug

Well, on the flip side, is trying to charge it putting the staff at risk? Is it gonna like literally explode on them?
>>
>>19957457

fully draining a battery will likely wreck it over time, fully draining a battery and letting it get cold in winter will 100% kill it. when i worked in a shop we put some batteries on low amp charge overnight and maybe 20% of them actually came back to life but almost always theyre destroyed
>>
>>19957274

looks like on the thermostat housing

https://workshop-manuals.com/suzuki/vitara_2wd/v6-2.5l/engine_cooling_and_exhaust/cooling_system/engine_coolant_temperature_sensor/switch/engine_temperature_sensor/component_information/locations/
>>
>>19957505
I live in socal so it's never been in winter cold.

That said, yes, I'm tracking what you guys are saying. If they say it's dead, there's actually a decent chance that it is and they're not just trying to fleece me. Call it a $150ish stupidity lesson.
>>
>>19957502
No, it's not like lithium ion where it's gonna explode, but it is a futile exercise and a waste of time because internal damage usually takes the form of short circuits that will self-discharge the battery.
>>
I replaced the he radiator on my Sunfire after it broke, but the car is now working at higher temps than usual and if i stay too much in slow traffic the temp starts going into the red and the check gauges light comes on, is it the thermostat that's the problem or could it be something else?
>>
>>19956665
The E55 seems more widely hailed as "the" one to get but I don't know. My favortie W211 is the E320 Bluetec. Economical and powerful all in one package!
>>
>>19957250
Notch four or five pieces of 10" x ##" x 1/4 inch plywood or melamine and partition the cargo space. When you gotta carry something big, disassemble and lay them flat.
>>
Can someone ID this car?
>>
>>19957715
Sounds like you still have air in the system. What you'll need to do is when the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and start the car, the keep adding coolant(Premix, obviously) directly to the radiator until it's full(when it stops taking coolant basically). When the car reaches operating temperature everything should be working fine. Put the radiator cap back on and make sure your coolant reservior is topped off afterwards.
>>
>>19957880
Second Gen Buick Regal, or some other GM G body
>>
>>19957880
Monte Carlo
>>
https://olxliban.com/en/ad/honda-civic-ankad-ID77RfU.html
1989 manual civic for $1800

Y/N?
>>
>>19957880
mid late 80s Monte Carlo
>>
>>19957969
Yes, looks to be in pretty good shape
>>
>>19957969
It seems great from the pictures, but inspect it in person
>>
>>19956665
get an e60 m5
>>
I've had my car for 3 months now and it still has a new car smell, is this normal?
>>
>>19956429
to all who have rhd cars. who do you use for insurance?
>>
File: faggy_wheels.png (1 KB, 281x408)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
I have a shitty old truck and the front wheels are leaning outwards at the top like in the pic I drew (500 hours in paint). I just put new wheels that are stock size on it because the old ones were super wide and heavy, and I'm assuming they wore out the steering/suspension enough to cause that lean.

I am going to buy replacement suspension parts (bushings, ball joints, etc) and it came out to about $120 which I don't want to spend. what are the parts I should focus on replacing to make sure the wheels run straight after an alignment?

pls help a poorfag in distress
>>
>>19958851

im in Alberta and my RHD car and truck are with Aviva and the broker is 1UP insurance in Calgary. apparently Aviva right away is going to not accept any more new RHD policies but the old ones will get grandfathered in though

otherwise StateFarm does RHD, my wife used to work for them and theyre apparently up there for rates but they still accept RHD

>>19959076

thats positive camber, if the front end is tight it might just need an alignment. old trucks usually use camber shims
>>
>>19959089
thanks for the info
unfortunately in the US, so its a little more weird here.
>current 6mo premium for z is 1165
>using the online geico tool, the 6mo premium for z and a pulsar gtir go up to $1380
nice
>>
>>19959100

in that case it might still be State Farm, im on a forum for my JDM truck and the guys in the states with them register them with State Farm as a classic vehicle if the models over 25 years old and pay peanuts for insurance

i get boned for JDM insurance too, Aviva any model insured is $130/month. RBC for my 2 LHD vehicles one being a Toyota Supra is only $60/month
>>
>>19959111
might look into SF then. my friend with a jdm also does that.
>>
2008 impreza or 2010 golf?
>>
>>19959138

headgaskets and ringlands vs German electrical issues and leaks, pick your poison. theres better cars than either to be had
>>
>>19959089

how can I check if the front end is "tight"? I looked under it the other day and the rubber that I could see looked fine, but the wheels (the passenger side one at least) doesn't feel loose when I grabbed it and tried to force it around/bumped it.

Either way I should probably take it to an alignment shop and see what they say right?
>>
File: Ute.png (10 KB, 459x556)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
I'm re-wiring in a new H4 Headlight Socket on my 2001 Mazda Bravo B2600. But I've never done this before and kind of confused. The headlight wires have

>x1 black wire
>x1 red wire with blue stripe
>x1 red wire with black stripe

and the H4 socket im wiring in his
>x1 black wire
>x1 red only wire
>x1 red wire with black stripe

Which wires go where? pic related.
>>
Can belt screeching happen on a warm engine out of the blue or did I just make my tires squeal without realizing?
>>
Has there been any write ups about retrofitting the newer style airbag into a car equipped with older style? Like if the two driver steering wheel airbags were similar size has anyone swapped them SAFELY?

Got curious about it recently.
>>
>>19959195

i fucked up that text, disregard the text and just look at the picture, im autistic.
>>
File: 98416846846.jpg (8 KB, 225x202)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>19959209
>>19959195
nevermind i guessed and it works fine.
>>
File: IMG_20181105_051312__01.jpg (777 KB, 2031x2492)
777 KB
777 KB JPG
My dash has place for traction control, vsc and slip icons but they don't light up. I have no traction control switch so I guess I just don't have traction control?
>>
2011 Outback for $5500 with 230k miles. Should I pull the trigger?

>230,000 miles. The transmission was redone last year during the recall. New brakes, head gasket, and timing belt. Winter and summer tires included. Heated leather seats, satellite radio, CVT transmission great for the pass
>>
I just got new tires for my 10’ civic, fuzion touring tires and they’re just so fucking loud and rides rough. It sounds like I’m driving on grooved pavement the whole time I’m driving and at high speeds my whole car vibrates and my passenger seat shakes, shit just doesn’t drive smooth at all. My damn balding and worn out Michelin’s drove smoother and quieter, did I just get bad tires or is there like a tire “break in” period? I live on the east coast so I got them installed at town fair tire and I believe there’s a warranty that came with it so I dunno I feel like going back and asking for different ones, just not enjoying the ride at all. Should I just do that and ask for a different kind to be installed?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
About to put my car into the mechanic for the first time (never owned a car before).

I have a fear that the mechanic is just going to make shit up to charge me more. Is this fear founded? How do I make sure a mechanic isn't ripping me off.
>>
>>19956954
Do you plan on crashing?
>>
>>19957235
Cargo netting
>>
>>19960084
Read up and learn about the car parts, how they work and general maintenance of the car.
>>
Im europoor and have a budget 4000€. Everyone recommends focus 2nd gen, megane 2nd - 3rd gen. Because i wont drive more than 20000km/year gas is better over diesel. Is there a car in my price range that is bigger hatch and smaller wagon?
>>
I bought some winter tires because I thought I would need them because I'm on summer "performance" tires but if the forecast is accurate it doesn't look like it ever gets far below freezing, at least in November

Did I waste my money?
>>
>>19960256
>europe
Any 90-00 VAG car. If you wanna stick with gas engine the 1.8t is pretty reliable but if you're willing to go diesel the 1.9tdi is indestructible. Maintenance is cheap as hell, they're reliable and if something does break it won't be expensive because everyone and their mom knows how to work on these cars and engines.
>>
>>19960270
Any temperature below 10C/50F winter tires are recommended because of their compound. They're also a lot better in rainy and wet conditions.
>>
>>19960283
Ok, that makes me feel less buyers remorse. The highest it's supposed to get from here out is 58, and it usually doesn't get snowy until December and January
>>
>new transmission came in
>near 1:1 match
>difference is the gap for the starter. on opposite side compared to the original
I can just take off the bell housing from the old one and put it on the new one right?
>>
Hey anons, thanks for the advice so far ive been slowly going through your process of elimination as to why my suzuki grand vitara 99 2.5l v6 auto trans has been stalling. The engine light had these codes

P0118
P0102
P0125

Related to the MAF and ECT sensor, i cleaned the MAF and replaced the ECT sensor, i did a live data reading and it shows the temperature isnt going over 190 so i believe that is all fixed, but the car still stalls.

It will only stall when i come to a stop or when im in park. The engine also bogs down if im driving up hills. If this was a motorcycle id clean the jets in the carb because it feels like that problem but im new to cars and not sure what that translates to as a car problem. I've been reading online and it says it is fuel related but my engine light hasn't came back on, where do i go from here? Im gonna try to get some of that fuel injector cleaner and hope for the best but im sure it wont be that simple

Thanks
>>
>>19956954
If you're not tracking the car it isn't worth it.
>>
>>19959500
In many cars traction control is undefeatable, just like abs. Hell alot of new high end sports cars make it extremely difficult to defeat.
>>
>>19960411
Yes if your bell housing is removable.
>>
>>19960857
I would look for vacuum leaks and make sure your 02 sensor is sending non-erroneous data.
>>
What's a good book to learn about torque curves, gear ratios, differential types, etc.? I feel like an outsider when my friends are talking about that stuff. I can't ask them really, they all learned from experience. I want to catch up fast
>>
I burnt the duck out of my clutch. What should I be looking for to see if it's ok or really ducked up
>>
I know my truck's battery is over the hill. It straight up doesn't work once the temp hits 20F.

This winter I'm actually going to need my truck for work so I'm going to replace it. What brand should I look at for best bang for buck (I don't intend on ever selling my truck; I'm going to run her into the ground then make a planter/pond waterfall from her carcass)?
>>
Is it a good idea to drive my BRZ 1000+ miles to where I may be moving or should I have it shipped?
>>
>>19961681
Good idea for the following reasons:

>can plan trip to see cool ass sights
>likely to be almost all highway driving so overall the load on your drivetrain will be low
>likely cheaper than shipping
>even if you plan out a scenic route for maximizing the road trip experience there will be little appreciable wear on your vehicle

The bad:
>If your BRZ has hidden issues this trip may uncover them at an inopportune time. Especially if you are using the little cargo volume it has to move belongings.

I say do it man and post pics from your trip!
>>
File: 3f73gb.jpg (141 KB, 800x533)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
Which are more enjoyable, straight or mountain roads?
>>
>>19961708
Mountains by far BUT they can get exhausting. Double the exhaustion if it is a mountain road frequented by 18-wheelers.

You'll see them careening down the mountain at breakneck speed to make sure they can get over the next peak.
>>
>>19961698
Definitely not putting possessions in my car, except for the most important stuff like documents. Which makes the lockable trunk useful as fuck.
Yeah, I'll be able to go at my own pace. That by itself feels good.
>>
>>19961619
I'd it slips a lot then you need a new one
>>
>>19957880
dodge stratus
>>
>>19961708
Mountains, Child.
>>
>>19961283
https://www.explainthatstuff.com/gears.html

>>19961619
Is it quacking at you?
>>
>>19961645
Something like 80% percent of all automotive batteries on the market are made by one company Johnson Controls, so its not as if theres much difference in brands.
>>
>>19961796
Not that I'm aware. Took it for a drive just now and it seems to be ok. It still stunk a bit in the car. I'm so mad at myself right now. I was stuck on a dumb steep Hill between cars that have me no room to roll back.
>>
>>19961805
Better to squeal tires than burn clutch anon.

Rev the bitch and drop it like you're going to do a burn out.
>>
Does the first gen Honda CR-X use be same gas tank as same-year civics?
>>
My car wont go into first gear above ~10 MPH. If i rev the car in neutral with the clutch out and then quickly select first it goes in smoothly, am I damaging anything by doing this?
>>
>>19957235
Elastic cargo net. Hook it to the tiedowns, and as others said, put your shit in a milk crate.
>>
>>19959198
Yes. We’re you turning the wheel? Or did you have the A/C running? Could also be moisture on the belts.
>>
>>19959967
Get different tires. Michelin, Hankook Firestone, Pirelli or Conti. Anything else is chinkshit if you’re talking non-snow tires.
>>
>>19960857
Also, run some fuel injector cleaner thru the tank, like Berryman’s or Techron or some shit. Check the fuel filter and pump as well. You may want to have a shop run a fuel pressure test.
Does it ever misfire and is the gas old?
>>
Can anyone log into progressive insurance desktop site? It's been down for me all weekend. Says they'll be back up at "4am"
>>
>>19961905

Hasnt misfired once and the problem still happens with new gas, but i put in some stp fuel injector cleaner today and it only bogged down to 500ish rpms one time during my drive around town today, no stalls. So im hoping that solved it and is cleaning all the gunk out

My next plan of action if the problem persists is to check if the IAC is busted, then after that the O2 sensor like this post recomended >>19961088 and if that doesn't work im gonna try to track down any vaccuum leaks (i couldnt hear any but i didnt do the soap and water trick) and if all that fails i will add the fuel pump/filter to the list. Thanks for help anon i really appreciate it
>>
>>19957880

FAMAS
>>
This is gonna be a weird as fuck question but does anyone know how to get the stuff they spray on the inside of nuclear reactors off of cars paint?
I've so far had minimal success with spraying on wd40 leaving it a while and then scratching at it with my fingernail. Dont wanna damage the paint as I'm not sure how well it has bonded to the paint

Can provide pics in the morning if that would help?
>>
>>19962191
Try >>>/Reddit/r/chemicalengineering or some shit
Literally the only reason to go to Reddit is for tiny niches like that
>>
>>19961845
The synchro is keeping you from shifting into first; however what you're doing is literally revmatching, while its not entirely bad and it causes some wear, there's really no good reason to shift back down into first in normal traffic, 2nd or even 3rd is good enough to engine brake or downshift to accelerate if needed.
>>
>>19961912
Nope not havng a problem with it here in the southeast, have you tried deleting your cookies?
>>
>>19962191
>how to get the stuff they spray on the inside of nuclear reactors off of cars paint?

Um, there are too many questions that one statement could provoke.
>>
>>19956429
I was watching some Nurburgring crash compilation videos and wondered if there are any videos that have expert analysis of what the drivers appear to be doing wrong for each crash? Most are obvious but some just baffled me.
>>
I'm looking through Craigslist for some used winter tires. My car has 215 60 r16 but I'm only coming across tires that are 215 65 r16 are these okay to use?
>>
>>19962511
yes, you'll just have slightly more sidewall. If there is space under your fenders it makes no difference.
>>
>>19962092
I’d double down on the injector cleaner, run 3/4 of the tank if possible, give it an ‘Italian Tune up’ (basically accelerate hard under load at high revs two or three times, long on-ramps are good for this, as are long straight uphills), and then look for vac leaks. Look online to see how hard a fuel filter is on your car. It may be a 10 minute job and parts are cheap. You should probably do it just to be safe.

Have you gotten the codes to clear? Might be worth unhooking the battery overnight to see if they come back.
Keep us updated anon. We want to help you.
>>
>>19962092
To add, I’d replace the IAC anyway just to be sure. according to YouTube it shouldn’t take more than a half hour to replace on your car and it looks like the part is around $25.
>>
File: 12 KB3.jpg (14 KB, 280x272)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Is it more difficult to back up a station wagon in parking lots compared to a sedan?
>>
As a eurofag heading to 'murica, I want to rent a car so I can drive around a bit and experience the vastness of it all, but I want to rent a muscle car as they're almost impossible to get your hands on where I live thanks to taxes, but are cheap as fuck in the US.
What rental company would you recommend? I'm guessing something like Hertz or Sixt should be fine? For reference, I'll be in Chicago.
Also, should I bother getting insurance? I mean I'm not worried about causing any damage myself, but I AM worried someone else might ding the car and not be insured or some shit.
>>
>>19963903
Easier because of rear visibility. I know because I own a wagon.
>>
>>19963903
Easier. I've driven wagons all my life and now I own a 3 series sedan and I'm having a lot of trouble guesstimating where my rear is exactly.
>>
>>19964236
I moved this to the front because nothing else I say really matters compared to this. You are going to fucking Chicago in the winter and want to drive around the arctic fucking zone of America for lulz. You are too stupid to come here and drive.
When you drive too fast in a car that is too easy to go too fast in and they hold you in jail until you pay the fine you will regret getting that sort of vehicle. You probably do not have a choice about the insurance. You definitely want extra health insurance.
>>
>>19964378
>implying I don't know how to drive in bad conditions or how to drive a fast car
Just because muscle cars (Or well, anything with a big engine, really.) are taxed to hell and back here doesn't mean we don't have fast cars.
Keep in mind I'm not a retarded Amerifat, I actually know how to drive. But thanks for your concern.
>>
>>19964416
Since you're smarter, you should decline all the insurance because it's all a ripoff. A muscle car is a good choice because cops usually are lenient to domestic cars driving spiritedly. If you do get pulled over, don't consent to any searches and insist you have diplomatic immunity. They won't be able to detain you then.
>>
>>19964492
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
my shit is whining when I turn my wheels. it seems to have come out of nowhere in the past day. Is it likely just powersteering fluid being low or should i be looking for leaks?
>>
>>19964910
yeah its low.
>>
>>19964910
>>19965085
Sorry to spam thread:
My manual says to use automatic transmission
fluid DEXRON II or III for the powersteering fluid. I am not sure what the previous owner used, but does that matter? Or can I just use that to top up the reservoir?
>>
The only difference is some kinds still use dino oil and more recent ones use synthetic.

Mixing the two doesn't hurt anything but draining the power steering fluid might not be difficult for your car model.
>>
Do professional drivers tend to only "specialize" in certain vehicle layouts? For example, will a really good FR driver be decent enough at driving a FF car around a track, or will they never be as good as a "dedicated" FF driver?
>>
>>19956461
It helps with noise in my experience.
>>
File: 49c.png (157 KB, 409x409)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
I'm poor and I don't want to die in the winter
Anyone know any good deals on winter tires?
Can I put them on the just the front or back wheels to save money?
04 buick century
>>
>>19966174
>fronts on rear only
no
>save money
buy cheaper ones
>>
>>19966174
16 year old me thought I could put them only on the front on my '05 tC. I later ended up learning what it felt like to oversteer in a FWD car going 70 on the interstate.
>>
Is this /pol/ cuck right?
>>
File: 1535751864184.jpg (59 KB, 951x960)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Speaking of tires. I think discount tire is trying to jew me
>bought some used tires (Blizzak WS80s) off craigslist and a set of steel wheels
>took them to get mounted last night and I'd pick them up today
>went to get them put on
>they tell me the load rating is too low to put on my car and they didn't catch it so I don't have to pay for mounting and balancing
>they would only give me $40/each for trade in on a set of new tires
>the total would have been like $350 which is a little less than I spent on the wheels and tires off craigslist

I'm thinking they're just trying to pull a fast one on me. The load rating on the tires is 500 kg or 1102 lbs. My car is 2800 lbs, ~3100 with me in it. Can I just put the wheels on myself? I don't have any more money to drop on this bullshit so I dont want to have to, but if its not going to be safe then I'll do it.
>>
File: 1540938843328.jpg (26 KB, 420x315)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>Refit exhaust manifold to engine
>new gasket
>tighten from middle bolts to outer
>start engine
>no leaks
>retighten after a few thermal cycles
>check bolts again 2 weeks later
>still tight and all good
>2 weeks later leaking, bolts are loose
>tighten and still leaking
>remove gasket
>the graphite filling has been blown out in the section it was leaking from
>new gasket
>same procedure
>lasted a little longer but the same issue happened at the exact same location
Wat do? Would a leaky exhaust valve be the issue as I'm not sure what else could be causing this.
>>
Do injectors hiss when they're leaking fuel?
>>
>>19966904
the rating is per tyre so you have 1000+lbs of room there.

i'd just put them on
>>
I've owned my car for a little over a year now and have never changed the crush washer after an oil change. I've never seen and drops on the ground. Can I keep reusing it or should I get a new one?
>>
>>19966950

leaking injectors let air in, not fuel out

>>19967367

get a new one theyre like 90 cents each, technically theyre 1 time use only
>>
I'm a rather tall guy, and am looking for a good first vehicle (inexpensive). Was considering an older model 4 door Wrangler Unlimited, because I want rugged capability and passenger capacity without the (imo) cheap looking GM Suburban aesthetic.

Are there any other vehicles I'm missing out on that I should consider?
>>
File: fat_beagle_of_cozies.png (374 KB, 466x447)
374 KB
374 KB PNG
I was going to get my spark plugs replaced (still have 10,000 km before the replacement mileage but I'm way past the replacement age). I have a couple of questions:
>Does age of spark plugs make a big difference? Should I get them replaced or just wait the half a year it will take me to put 10,000km on the car?
>Do I need to get the ignition wire replaced? When I got a quote, I was told you should also replace the wire. The wire is like $140, p expensive
>Is 1hr a reasonable amount of labor for spark plugs? I am getting my timing belt replaced, was thinking they'd reduce the labor for spark plugs but its still listed as 1 hour on top of the timing belt work.
>>
>>19967494
Also forgot to mention its a Subaru so spark plug replacement might take longer/be more annoying
>>
>>19967398
So youre telling me that fuel injector cant leak fuel into the manifold?
>>
File: anime15374939501948079.jpg (1.25 MB, 1920x1200)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
How are engines that make 1000+ hp made?
>>
couldn't you take a modern diesel engine and easily convert it to a 2 stroke engine?
You could just put a smaller pulley on the camshaft so it spins twice as fast, and have the ecu fire the injectors twice as much
>>
Autofag here, bought a stick shift fun car off of a whim last week because MUH DRIVING EXPERIENCE meme. So much of a cowardly faggot that i brought a friend with me to drive it home, and it's been sitting there for a week.

So with only YouTube videos and googled driving guides to aid me, I managed to limp my new car over to a nearby chain store parking lot, where I spent literally an hour teaching myself stick.

I'm pretty sure I have it now, but I have a question about the friction zone/sweet spot/whatever it's called: after a while I figured out not to panic and back off the gas as soon as I heard the gears start to catch, cool, but I'm curious how dangerous/how long I should spend in that area? Knowing next to nothing about manual transmissions despite trying to read and watch all I could, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Some times the clutch (or gears? I honestly don't know) catches right away, other times I spend like two or three seconds with a sense/sound of... The best I can describe it is the vehicle "groaning" as I let the clutch out. It beats lurching half the time and stalling the other half, but I'm afraid I'm damaging the fuck out of my gearbox and/or trans.
>>
>>19968215
Clutches can slip. Its the whole reason they're there. You'll have issues if you slip for too long or with too many revs and overheat the clutch. You'll know this has happened because it will smell like burnt clutch or cooked brakes.
>>
>>19968224
Appreciate the quick response.

My next question was going to be on how much wear I might have put on the clutch, but then I saw another thread where an anon is going through the same shit as me and other anons seemed to agree that even a week of dicking around shouldn't have done too much damage.

Gonna keep doing these late night practices over the rest of the week, hoping to be comfortable enough to start going out on the highway by next week.

Any other dumb idiot newbie advice you might be willing to share before I continue?
>>
>>19968240
My advice is to stop thinking so much and just drive it normally. Driving manual isnt half the big deal that burgers make it out to be. Stop and consider how often driving instructors have to replace their clutch. The fact is that unless you're ripping fat skids or towing big loads up steep hills, you're doing zero to fuck all damage
>>
>>19968240

Not him, but

>Any other dumb idiot newbie advice you might be willing to share before I continue?

You really probably want to get someone who knows what the fuck they're doing to go with you. No idea how old you are or if you feel like it would emasculate you or some shit, but it's better to learn it right than to 'teach yourself' all the wrong shit, and then end up breaking something because you thought you were doing it right all along. Props to you for going so far as to take that initiative, fine, but when you describe this car as
>stick shift fun car
It sounds like you bought some old bimmer or mx-5 or something. I would say go crazy if it were a true shitbox, but if this is supposed to be a fun car e.g. a car you intend to drive hard, it's probably not the wisest idea to risk doing something retarded.

I give you 5 in 1 odds of moneyshifting once you're doing highway driving if you continue down this path.
>>
>>19968250
It's hard not to "think so much" when I am literally still spending 50% of my time worrying about whether I'm damaging something. I've been driving an autotragic piece of shit for like 5 years now (got first car at 22, now 27), it isn't even close to muscle memory for me yet.

>>19968252
Thanks for the vote of confidence, anon. Especially money-shifting, that's a great thing for me to have to think about.

And yes, it is a Miata because it's supposed to be cheap fun and all that.
>>
>>19968255
You arent damaging anything, and even if somehow you are retarded enough to damage it, clutch jobs are not half as complicated as they're made out to be.
>>
>>19968255
Ignore him. You aren't going to fucking miss the third to fourth shift (or LE MONEY SHIFT MAYMAY), especially not if you're overanalyzing the fuck out of your driving and not tryharding as a wannabe drag racer (protip: don't do this). It's much more likely that you'll probably set then reset your stick like 5 times before committing to declutching, end up having missed the gate and still be in neutral anyway, then do it a few more times before finally getting into gear, if my own memories of my early standard transmission experience is anything to go by.
>>
when driving, it is said that you should look where you want to go. Is that really true? shouldn't you look a little left of where you want to go since the driver's seat is on the left? for left hand drive cars of course
>>
>>19959967
That sounds like a fucked tire balance. I'd take it back and have them check the balance. Fuzion is chinkshit for sure, but they shouldn't be shaking your car apart at speed with a proper balance.
>>
>>19967506
If you need the vehicle to be 100% reliable, follow the manufacturer recommended service interval. If it doesn't mention spark wires (or you can live with that car being out of action for a few days if they do fail), skip it.
Autoshops will charge a full hour on jobs even if it only takes them 20 minutes to do it. It's pretty standard.
>>
>>19968402
It's a idea based on human tendency. Staring at something will make you turn towards it without realizing. It's meant to serve as a cautionary statement against staring at road hazards, such as ditches, during an emergency.
>>
>>19968402
>Makes a right turn looks to the left instead
>>
>>19968469
The term for it is target fixation.
>>
>>19968550
The term for it is counter looking.
>>
My bronco needs new tires, if i'm not towing anything would i be fine with the 4 ply 235/75/r15s? Or should i get the same 31x10.5s? Massive price difference. Is the bigger more plied tier worth it?
>>
what car for 4000€? central europe.
>>
>>19956429
Is there any truth to selling a car after 100 000 km is saving you money in the long run (repair etc...)?
Can't see the logic in there since you have to buy another car anyway.

What do you guys think about keeping a car as long as possible ? Seems like the cheapest option of all no ?
>>
>>19956429
I drive a 96 4x4 tacoma right now, but it's a 4 cylinder and regular cab. I want something with 4x4, 6 cylinders and an extended cab. There's a 99 ranger for sale near me in my price range, are they good trucks? The tacoma has been rock solid for me so far, but I just need that extra v6 power. The ranger guy has a wrinkle in the hood and has the truck listed as both auto and 5 speed, and 0 interior pictures so I'm not 100% on the ad, but the price is right.
>>
i was distracted today and had to press the break very quick and hard (don't know the word in english).

before, the brake pedal would go down up to a certain point and the brakes would lock the wheel (or that's the feeling i got). now, the brake pedal gets to that point but goes farther, and the wheels don't lock anymore. maybe they would if i pressed the brake really hard and down but i didn't want to try it.

did i break my brakes? also, now i hear some air escaping somewhere when i release the brake.
>>
>>19969537
Check your brake fluid reservoir

Chances are you were very low, and upon slamming it some air got into the line
>>
>>19969551
thanks but i just checked and it seems it's more than enough

i'm watching videos about how the brake booster works because i noticed a hissing sound both when i press the pedal past the point it used to lock the wheels and when i release it

so i guess maybe the vacuum pump broke or something?
>>
>>19969691
What car & engine is it?
>>
File: ST170_Web (7 of 8).jpg (284 KB, 1280x853)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
Does the Ford Focus ST170 / SVT have an interference engine? I am getting mixed answers when looking it up.
>>
>in gear, clutch down
>revving it for whatever fucking reason
>tap brake pedal, car jerks forward a hair
Would a better hydraulic line fix this ? Or was I just doing something stupid
>>
>>19969740
Suzuki Swift 2008, four cilinders, 92 metric horsepower, petrol (not diesel)

after researcing a bit i think it might be the brake booster, it looks to me that the air which enters the booster when i press the pedal escapes somewhere (that's why i hear hte hissing sound) and therefore doens't press and generate the force needed to lock the brakes. so that's why i can push the pedal further, in fact i could have done it before too but never did because never needed it with the booster working properly.

does this make sense? sorry this is weird vocabulary for me
>>
>>19969795
Could be. Sounds like its due for a test
>>
D
L
What the fuck. I just use D for everything
>>
Question: A new ATS-V is only 0.1 seconds slower to 60mph and only 11mph (top speed) slower than the new CTS-V, despite the CTS-V having instant throttle response of the supercharger (compared to the twin-turbo ATS-V) and having about 170 more hp? Just weight?

t. gen 1 cts-v owner
>>
I'm replacing the Alternator in my BMW's M44. I got the old one out fine but I can't get the door hinged bolt hole contacts to line up even with oil and a rubber mallet.

Any tips?
>>
>>19970414
Because of the belt tension, or do the bolts simply not enter?
>>
if one were so inclined, would it be possible to mount an engine designed for a transverse layout in a longitudinal bay?
for example, putting a Type R engine in an S13
>>
>>19970426

Neither, I can't get the alternator seated into place with both the front and rear bolt holes lined up. The space is there and nothing is blocking it, the little "arms" that come off the block that the bolts go into and the matching holes on the alternator are too snug to wedge into place.
>>
>>19970443
Anythings possible with the right skills and enough money. You'd need a transaxle that fits and you'd definitely need to fab up custom engine mounts
>>
>>19970342
0-60 is meme tier, especially when the claimed difference is 0.1 and top speed is to do with gearing, not so much power
>>
>>19970009
let's say you're going up a steep hill at a fixed speed, and your transmission is being retarded by constantly switching between a lower gear for more torque and a higher gear for more fuel efficiency
in that case, you'll want to prevent it from shifting to the higher gear, because it's both annoying as shit and bad for the transmission
that's what it's for

>>19970460
so basically it's not really worth it unless I have several thousand dollars and a lot of time to burn
>>
>>19970480
>several thousand for an engine swap
Lel
>>
>>19970473
So they did something great for top speed as far as gearing goes for the ATS-V, but not the CTS-V?
>>
>>19970448
Are you absolutely sure its the right alternator with the same part number and amperage?
>>
>>19970539
>great
Longer gears means slower take off. It could also be due to a higher rev limit. I'm not familiar with these cars. But 100hp more doesn't equal higher top speed and in many causes wont improve 0-100kph without other upgrades
>>
Are self supporting run flat tires worth it on old cars without tire pressure monitoring?
>>
>>19969520
Bump
>>
>>19970635
Do some research, that V6 ranger isn't putting out much more power than the more reliable Toyota.

Also don't bump with that ghetto ratchet shit again.
>>
File: 20180820_111402_resized.jpg (455 KB, 1311x983)
455 KB
455 KB JPG
>>19970448
Aaaah... how much are you missing to make it slide into place? I had that when I replaced the alternator on my Toyota. I ended up just filing away a tiny bit and it slid perfectly into place

>>19970585
>Are self supporting run flat tires worth it
No. Run flats sacrifice everything for the run flat feature, and are not really worth it unless you live in a place with IEDs or where the roads are made of nails
>>
File: 646262.jpg (453 KB, 1311x983)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
>>19970448
Oh, also; sometimes alternators have removable sleaves where its marked in red. If so you could try replacing them with the ones on the old alternator

If not; just use an angle grinder or a flat steel file and file a bit until it fits
>>
>>19970644
>not really worth it unless you live in a place with IEDs or where the roads are made of nails
Well, roads are shit where I live, but I only now got a flat while being fucking parked.

I'm running my old Conti Pro Contact tires from like 10 years ago to the ground, and while checking prices the dealer only had Conti Premium Contact 2 in stock, I've read they have good handling an braking, but they seem to wear quickly.
>>
>>19970700
Tires are always a compromise between thread life & traction
>>
>>19970708
I don't really drive that much, my current tires are more degragraded than worn out, would it be a good chocie to prioritize traction?
>>
>>19970640
I'll wait for another tacoma, this time one that has all the bells and whistles I want then
>>
File: 1538361437869.gif (1.98 MB, 500x375)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB GIF
>>19970726
Sure - if there is a good chance they're gonna dry rot or go hard by the time you'll have worn them there aint much reason not to
>>
>>19970773
Thanks
>>
File: 20181108_104430~2.jpg (419 KB, 1663x2377)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
How bad is this dry rot, lads? Am I gonna die on the touge tonight?
>>
File: tenor.gif (1.7 MB, 480x320)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB GIF
>>19970905
The guard rail will stop you, no worries
>>
>>19970568
Thanks anon
>>
>>19970988
Theres no guard rails on north queensland hard mode
>>
File: 72016571.jpg (172 KB, 1024x768)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Hey /o/ and QTDDTOT, I assume this is the place to ask. Don't come here much but when I do i've had good experiences.

I have pic related (not my pic), a 2007 Nissan pathfinder SE. Great car, bought it for 4k to replace a dying '96 Blazer.

Anyway, I don't have heating or AC. AC hasn't worked since I got it, but heater last worked in December, when I used it to defog coming off a mountain at 3am. It's getting cooler and when I went to use the heat the other day it simply wouldn't work. Fan blows, it changes fan positions, but the air is just normal air temp outside.

I know my AC compressor is probably bad (had freon put in but it still wouldn't cool) so I have a handle on what's wrong with AC, but desu i've went without AC for nearly six years and it hasn't bothered me (i'm in KY, fuck i'll just roll windows down). Heat is a different story though.

As a real basic measure, I topped off my coolant in case that was the issue and heat simply wasn't getting to the heater core.

What, besides a bad heater core, could I do to resolve this? Any simple things I could do before I say fuck it and take it to a mechanic? Gonna be a cold winter, gonna need that heat.
>>
File: ijicrk.png (190 KB, 247x439)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
So how much am I going to destroy my suspension by running spacers for a few months? Bought some wheels that were marked 5x100 but they're actually 5x114.5 and dont fit so I need adapters but cant afford new wheels. My fitment is going to look goofy as hell (pic related) but whatever.

I'll likely only have them on for about 3 or 4 months.
>>
File: Untitled.png (240 KB, 364x335)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
Didn't want to make a new thread for this, so please rate my first car. She's a 1998 Legacy Outback.

Biggest Cons:
>160k miles
>Lots of cosmetic damage

Biggest Pros:
>previous owners kept records of all the service and maintenance done (milestone stuff like the timing belt was done not long before I bought)
>$1200
>>
Is it even worth it to fix an oil leak form the timing belt cover and rear main seal on a 96 Toyota Camry? It has sentimental value to me but the shop quoted me 1200. It has 223,000 miles with a new timing belt, thermostat, ECU, brakes,master cylinder, and distributer.
>>
>>19971242
I heard something about the wheel bearings going bad on those and to make sure it didnt have a Northstar engine.
>>
>>19960084
Look at the owners manual for your car and it'll tell you exactly what kind of maintenance you need to do at certain miles. Do what it says and you'll be fine. Don't let them over sell you shit. Especially if you're going to the dealer.
>>
>>19971123
Check to see if your heater valve is working
>>
is an impact wrench a worth while investment? I'd probably only use them for changing tires

is there any benefit to air vs electric? I have air compressors, but their tanks are like 3 gal and idk the max psi
>>
>>19971530
Yes

Even a cheap one from Ryobi saves you tons of time, and even if you think you'll only use it for wheels you'll find that its quite handy for a plethora of repairs and services

Air is generally more durable, weigh less, a tad more compact. Con is needing a good air supply, and having to drag a line around. For a hobbyist electric is the way to go
>>
File: 1519674131805.jpg (96 KB, 1600x1600)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>go to a dmv place to get a transit permit for one of my trucks
>costs 5$ for the permit
>sure w/e
>they only take cash
>mfw

its almost 2019 and these people seriously don't take fucking debit/credit cards?
>>
>>19971669
a cashless society is the sign of the end of times.
>>
I have to buy a new used car but I don't trust the used car market in Los Angeles. Is that mistrust justified or am i being a nervous Nelly? My budget it 4k but id like to have some left over to repairs or fees.
>>
File: 51 KB.jpg (53 KB, 502x768)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
98 f150 4.6l v8 4wd When should I press the overdrive off button?
>>
>>19971739
when towing
>>
Can i mix 5w30 and 10w30 gauge oil?
>>
>>19971757
In a pinch? Sure, as long as they relative similar (same certifications, synth+synth, mineral+mineral)

Wouldmt do it in the long run. No telling how additives react to eachother
>>
>>19971739

Speed bump or minor incline
>>
>>19971768
If my car is burning oil and it's supposed to run
10-30 can I run 10-40 to hinder it?
>>
>>19968586
Again hopefully a work on this. Will dropping off from 31x10.5 15s 235/75/r15s be bad? I live in snowy place and i need to get the new set
>>
File: container.jpg (49 KB, 800x600)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
I just found one of these abandoned in the woods while I was on a trip and although rusty and covered in bushes, it looks usable. What is the cheapest vehicle I can find that can be attached to it? from the measurements I'm almost certainly sure that it's a 20ft cargo container. I'm planning to get the respective license if I can afford it, I always wanted to try one of those tiny mobile houses stuff and travel a bit on longer distances.
>>
My car smells of burning rubber after I get home, just had some hoses replaced, did they put something to close to hot elements? Or is that just new stuff settling in?
>>
>>19971909
P or LT rated is what you are wondering. In your Bronco, and since your asking, P rated all-terrain tires from a reputable company will do you just fine. I have 31" Falken Wildpeaks.
>>
File: tiresize.jpg (16 KB, 759x81)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>19971950
so a 108t would be just fine?
Sorry if being a brainlet, never had to worry about tires on the lighter cars i've owned before
>>
>>19971242
Its costing me nearly $1200 to do the timing belt on my Impreza. I'd say that's a hell of a deal if they just got it done recently my man.
>>
File: 1534465230550.png (402 KB, 540x405)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
How should a car "sound"? My Buick LeSabre sounds pretty loud when I'm driving past 25-30 mph, it's like a loud rumbling/revving noise even when I'm coasting. I've never noticed this in any other car I've been in, and despite the noise the car seems to run fine.

I do have an emissions code being thrown, could that be related?
>>
>>19969772
I am still trying to make sure about this boys, if anyone knows for sure please let me know.
>>
I'm a poorfag who makes his money by going around and finding things at auctions, thrift stores, yard sales, and craigslist to resell over the internet. Due to health concerns this is the kind of work I have to do because I can't hold down a job with regular hours because I never know when a day will be a "bad" day.

So with that in mind how do you think a 90s B-body wagon would do as my daily driver? I've got about $3000 to spend on one.
>>
My motorcycle squeaks around the tires
What it is
How much do I have to pay a mechanic to fix it
>>
File: 1519636418146.png (797 KB, 1452x1245)
797 KB
797 KB PNG
>>19956429
What's the best way to clean a radiator and circuit that has been used with tap water?
>>
Make TOYOTA
Model COROLLA
Year 1998
Transmission 4 SP AUTOMATIC
Engine Capacity 1.6L
Build Date Jan 1998
Kilometers: 212574

How much could I sell this for? Out of rego and hasn't been driven in like a year.
>>
>>19972460
Distilled water
lots of it
>>
File: 2 wire not 4.jpg (241 KB, 600x542)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>changing fuel pump
>new one has two wire connector
>old has 4 wire connector
WTF am I supposed to do here. All the fuel pumps I see for sale have this 2 wire thing. I just want to plug the old 4 wire connector into the new pump, but the plastic part is just to small to make it click in.
>>
>>19972598
>but the plastic part is just to small to make it click in
That means you bought the wrong part you fucking retard. Don't force it in and buy the correct part.
>>
>>19972598
Get a pump that actually fits?

Those are all four seperate wires going to seperate things/purposes?
>>
why do some people on here call the miata miat? are they implying its male or are they talking about the abarth 124?
>>
>>19972601
>>19972602
I definitely bought the correct one to fit my car, and every one I find online has this two wire thing. I guess I should just buy a fuel pump from a salvage yard? Seems like the easiest thing to do if this isn't normal issue.
>>
File: 1413369647555.png (200 KB, 588x720)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>19972610
>I definitely bought the correct one to fit my car
>doesn't fit his car
>>
>>19972630
I did buy the correct part, and have already said all the aftermarket ones are like this and some cost more than if I buy directly from Lexus. Obviously you and I both don't know what the deal is with the fuel pumps.
>>
File: jXI5V5q.jpg (508 KB, 1280x1079)
508 KB
508 KB JPG
Oil level isn't decreasing much between oil changes, however the exhaust has that distinct oil smell.
Should I try adding an oil additive, or is that a bad idea before winter assuming it's just going to thicken the oil.
>>
File: Toyota-Supra.jpg (152 KB, 1422x948)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Any more cars with "passengers fuck off" interiors?
>>
>>19971227
Probably not much, the worst part of spacers is that they wear out your bearings but if its only a few MM's difference from stock offset its probably not going to make a huge difference.
>>
I noticed my brakes were really loud yesterday. It had downpoured the day before and I only drove my car in town that night, but I feel like it might be brake pads from the volume of the noise and that it happened when I drove in the morning and at night yesterday. Does that sound right?
>>
Can I just spray brake clean directly onto the valves through the intake port instead of removing the entire head to clean it? Wanna remove some of the carbon buildup but dont feel like doing a ton of work.
>>
>>19972720
Saabs were pretty driver-centric
>>
So I want to change my dash lights but I can't remove the gauges because of shitty plastic screw. It's stripping slightly but I got pretty much perfect size screwdriver however shit just keeps turning and not coming out, any ideas? It's on a Corolla and screw is facing upwards.
>>
>>19972897
wedge a knife under the edge and keep pressure on it while you unscrew it. Eventually it should catch and come right out.
>>
>>19960279
>1.8t
pleaso don't, they are thirsty af
and 99% are already beaten to death
>>
>>19960411
does the starter fit in the new transmission?
if not then change the bell housing
if not possible, buy another transmission
>>
>>19972988
I'm gonna see if I can swap the valve bodies between the two before I try to send back the new one. Already dumped more than $5k into this car I only got to drive for a day and now have less than $14 in the bank
>>
>>19966906
try to throw two screw nut on the studs
or replace the studs with longer ones
they shouldnt loosen up by themselves
>>
>>19968154
>forged with blood and sweat by orcs
seriously:
better material, large displacement, boost
lower durability, more frequent duty cycles
>expensive
>>
>>19971929
20ft containers are like 5000lbs
you need a proper truck to haul them
>>
Too lazy to search this up on google because various reasons.
What exactly can someone do with a licence plate? People see everyone else's plate every time they drive so why hide it over the internet
>>
>>19973568
they can find out your name, vin, address through various websites i believe
>>
File: i.png (71 KB, 400x300)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>19973019
I was checking some used trucks on ebay, most of them were shown with pre-attached boxes on them (pic related) and I couldn't see what kind of attachment were used, can I assume all trucks have standard attachments? if not, they're kinda useless I guess, the advantage of standard-complaint containers is that they are cheaper to transport around the world, aren't they? If I could find a truck with a container already installed it would be great, since the prices aren't looking too bad (and I wouldn't need to recycle this rusty one), but no luck so far.
>>
File: 1541643950411.png (291 KB, 761x681)
291 KB
291 KB PNG
Wich one of these is a better buy if they all have a 1 year warranty ?
>>
>>19973627
The 260's design gives a more modern feel, or at least it feels like that to me. Maybe check some youtube reviews for all 3 models first?
>>
/o/ i honestly don't know what to do
>>19973455
Should I scrap the car? Or should I attempt to repair it even if costs me more? I'm already $5k deep in this thing and I only got to drive it for a day two months ago
>>
File: 1510369179421.jpg (167 KB, 1148x739)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Simplest/Cheapest way to make my car faster out of the lights or when overtaking? and i mean without taking it to redline everytime, i want faster acceleration to road speeds at everyday rev ranges < 4000 RPM

Supercharger?

I don't wanna get a big engined car because i still want to keep the car small and fairly efficient
>>
>>19973627
>VAG
>Ferd
>Merc
id take the merc any day
>More reliable
>Cheaper
>Better interior
>>
>>19973849
try and sell it as a 'roller' first, then scrap it if you cant find a buyer. no point of spending money on a car that will most likely have many more problems in the future.
>>
>>19973913
But it's not a racecar. And I doubt I can find a buyer willing to buy this.
Or find a job to get money to repair it properly.
Hell I don't even qualify for unemployment or any kind of disability assistance. I can't even afford my prescriptions for my epilepsy and depression and haven't been medicated for months.
>>
>>19973675
>>19973906
thanks lads
>>
Recently started to take better care of my car, and have a few questions in the process. Should I go to a self service car cleaners to wash? If not, what should I use to clean the exterior, windows, and headlights? What to use for cleaning interior windows? Is it worth getting a duster for the vinyl dashboard?

Some side questions I don't expect answers to: I have an Alpine CDE158 stereo system that blinds me at night with its bright as fuck LEDs. Comes with a so-called "dimmer," but only darkens it by a small tick. Should I visit an accessory electrician to get it dimmed further (if possible)? Dimming film is out of the question, because the buttons are detached from the surrounding console, i.e. there's a gap where most of the lights are shining through. Also, what label of Rainx is worth the money?

Sorry for long post, and apology for newfag knowledge for maintaining automobiles, thanks
>>
my car has a sunroof, it's a hyundai coupe, at 6'6 i *just* fit, but ideally more headroom would be nice so i could have my seat a bit more upright

how feasible is it to remove a sunroof & convert to just a thin metal roof? or would it be simpler to leave the sunroof in but take the motor & roof lining out instead?
>>
>>19974002
last time i used a self service the timer ran out before i was able to rinse properly, but maybe i was retarded then, i don't really remember.

get a decent car shampoo (whichever is highest rated on amazon probably), rinse with pressure washer, then foam cannon, then hand wash with microfiber mitt, then rinse once more and hand dry with a microfiber towel or two

with windows (interior and exterior) i use whatever glass cleaning stuff is in the cupboard, they're all generally the same, and for my headlights i use toothpaste maybe once a year as necessary. if you have glass headlights obv use the glass cleaner stuff. and yes, a normal duster for the dash is fine.

as for your stereo i have no answer so i'd say pay a man to fix it :(
>>
>>19974041
Thank you for the help, frend.
>>
File: 1540577544884.jpg (48 KB, 512x390)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>19971669

>Going to the local government office to submit an application for my concealed carry permit
>Take some cash out since government offices like the DMV always want cash
>They tell me it'll be about $100
>Start to pull out my money
>"We don't accept cash sir. Credit card only"
>>
Can anyone direct me to the vvt solenoid in a 2012 focus 2.0 i4?
>>
File: $_59.jpg (117 KB, 960x720)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
pretty newbie question here, looking to get my first car, any reason you would get a hatchback over a Sedan? i myself like the aesthetics more but obviously thats a fag answer.
>>
>>19975111
If I had a choice I'd get the hatchback because you get a windshield wiper in the back window. But if it's between an automatic hatch and a manual sedan, I'd get the sedan. You can't be choosy with manual transmissions in America since you're probably only going to have 2 in the country to pick from.
>>
>>19975111
>any reason you would get a hatchback over a Sedan?
I bought an IKEA Markus the other day. The box is like 4ft wide.
It wouldn't fit in most sedan trunks, but it slid right into the back of my Golf.

Hatchbacks have fold-flat seats these days, so the amount of stuff you can fit into them is incredible.
>>
>>19975252
One nice thing about the sedan though is you can lock expensive stuff in the trunk and nobody can see it.
>>
>>19956429
Anyone else seeing ads for that Shine Armor shit? Supposed to clean and leave a light ceramic coat instead of wax? This must be a meme right?
>>
>>19975267
>nigger breaks your window open
>folds down rear seat
>steals ur shit
where is your sedan god now?
>>
>>19975482
Why wouldn't he just pop the trunk from the inside if hes breaking in at that point.... the thing you said was stupid and you should feel stupid for saying it
>>
File: da18-Djn_400x400.jpg (11 KB, 240x240)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>19975482
do not attempt here
>>
>>19974094
Hi there, I'm not the anon that was helping you but theres a great video that I was shown about a year ago when I started browsing here and giving a shit about my car. I believe it is by Chris Fix and it is called how to SUPER CLEAN your car. Hope this helps
>>
>>19975111
Another question, whats the pros and cons from buying from owner and buying from used car stealership?
>>
File: shifter.jpg (57 KB, 1148x590)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
My truck shifts crunchy if i'm shifting from 1st to 2nd in a straight down motion,but if i take an indirect path it doesn't make this noise, what causes this? and is it really a problem? I always shift indirectly into 2nd now, and its the only gear it does it in.
>>
>>19975743
I don't know much but maybe your truck doesn't have synchronizers that make the gears spin along the same speed as the collars. Though I guess if you're not letting go of the clutch before moving from neutral to the next gear then maybe you don't have an old outdated truck that doesn't have synchonizers
>>
>>19975792
its a synchromesh Could it be that synchro just has had it? Its at 180k miles
>>
>>19975743

probably just wearing synchros, ive owned many old manual cars/trucks and alot of them had funky 1-2 shifts when they got older. sometimes changing the trans fluid helps, i run Redline MT-90 in my old stuff and some of the crunches and grinds go away

ironically enough the old truck i daily i just take off in 2nd gear and never use 1st gear, the gearing is tight enough i can ride out the clutch in 2nd from a stop. problem solved
>>
>>19975743
>>19975832
A lot of trucks have unsynchronized first gears
>>
>>19957880
Pontiac Fiero from 1981-83
>>
>>19975743
My Jeep did this, I had to pull it in a very special way and hold it for a split second before going into 2nd. Was told the syncho was worn, had 150k miles on it
>>
>>19975629
The dealership will jew you but depending the state, they're obligated to provide you with a running vehicle with no flaws.

You'll get more of a fair price from a private owner (unless he's on crack) but the sale will be as is, so any problems you encounter are yours to fix.
>>
I'm talking to a guy on craigslist about Buick Roadmaster and he says it has "giant sway bars".

Should I assume this is an aftermarket mod he has made? I don't know if I want this.
>>
>>19969792
>driving in car
>turn on wipers
>plane lands at airport
Would an air-freshener solve this, or am I an idiot?
>>
>>19975984

probably just thicker sway bars with larger mounts, not a big issue but also not really a huge point to him upgrading them in the first place
>>
>>19975995
Is it something I could have reversed back to stock without costing too much? Looks like it just bolts in place.
>>
>>19971242
Look forward to replacing your head gaskets at about 190k.
>>19971395
No, and WTF are you talking about?
>>
>>19976011

you could reverse it, you would need a original swaybar, mounts, and endlinks. he basically put this on it, it probably actually does stop some body roll so nothing harmed in keeping it

https://www.carid.com/buick-roadmaster-performance-sway-bars/
>>
Tunes are illegal in like all states unless it's a "race car". Basically you cant fuck with the software on newer cars to make them live up to their potential. Anyone purchased a canned tune? I've got a warranty that it would void but I'd love to hear experiences if anyones gottem
>>
>>19972167
You probably have a hole in you exhaust somewhere. This will also throw an emissions code if near an o2 sensor.
>>
>>19972167

probably an exhaust leak before the catalytic converter or a cracked exhaust manifold
>>
>>19972460
More tap water.
>>
>>19972639
>Lexus
>I definitely bought the correct one
>All the fuel pumps I see for sale have this 2 wire thing. I just want to plug the old 4 wire connector into the new pump
Bring it to a mechanic for Christ's sake.
>>
>>19972807
I can't hear it, anon.
>>
>>19976045
Would it change the ride quality? One of the reasons I'm looking for a car like this the reputation for a smooth ride.
>>
>>19976073
Found this through google search

"Sway bar stiffness does directly impacts ride quality. What sway bars do is add wheel rate or stiffness to each corner of the vehicle at any point in time the front tires as a pair or the rear tires as a pair do not move up and down at the same pace or distance. Meaning, hitting a speed bump, you dont really add any wheel rate since both front tires pretty much go up at the same time to the same height not causing any twist of the sway bar and this is where allinon is 100% correct. But, on roads with pot holes and irregularities where your wheels at each corner move at different rates, the sway bars actually do add stiffness. They are basically torsion bar style springs that only act when there is a difference in relative wheel height (cornering, bumps on one side only). And depending on how stiff they are, they can have a very big impact on ride. Think of it as your are driving down the street and hit a speed bump just on your driver side. The driver side wheel goes up but the passenger side stays in place. This twists the sway bar. When this happens, the sway bar becomes a torsional spring that counter acts the upforce that the wheel gets from the bump and the sway bar (in addition to the coil spring) adds wheel rate and stiffness to that particular side to bring the front wheels back to neutral height. As you can tell, the stiffer the bar, the harder it is to twist and ride harshness is affected."

I live in a rural area with many gravel roads filled with pot holes, and the paved roads are often not much better. So I'm looking for something that will go over this without bumping me around all over the place.
>>
>>19972875
Yeah, go ahead. Nothing bad will happen if you spray brake cleaner directly into the intake an engine.
>>
>>19972598

the new one just has power and ground, the old one likely has wires for the sensor/fuel level gauge. i know some GM vehicles had a updated connector with 4 wires vs 3 that you spliced the extra wire in and it came with instructions but if this is a Lexus i have no idea.

>>19972720

i owned a R32 Skyline coupe back in the day, no idea why they bothered putting a back seat in the thing because it was tighter than a nun and even a midget wouldnt fit
>>
>>19972875

best case you'll just get a shitload of brake cleaner mixed into your oil eating at your bearings, worst case you get a huge boom when you start it and the engine catches fire
>>
>>19976073

it likely will handle tighter and have less body roll on turns with thicker swaybars
>>
File: Jebus.gif (1.73 MB, 209x213)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB GIF
>>19974023
>>
>>19976108

its actually doable, some vehicles like Mitsubishi Eclipse they make carbon fiber fillers for the sunroof hole if you want to remove the assembly
>>
I have a car that takes premium, and I have a question about where you to get it.

I thought all gases were more or less created equal, but evidently not. When I mentioned to my co-workers that I had been gassing up at the base gas station (in the army desu), they looked at me with disgust and said it was shit-tier premium. I asked them what they meant and they started talking about how some stations just have shit, and of course the government-subsidized fuel at our stations will be the cheapest still possible.

With that said, is there any way to tell (maybe from a label or something?) What gas stations have this "good" fuel? Are there certain stations I should always use, and certain ones I should never use? Are those non-franchised independent local gas stations always filled with the worst shit?
>>
>>19976106
But what about going over bumps in a straight line?
>>
>>19976126
I think your guys are full of shit.
>>
>>19976126
There are only a handful of refiners and fuel transporters and pretty much the difference in gas from station to station, and in some cases state to state (cali adds some more shit to their fuels apparently becuase smog) Is additives.

Long story short your 'coworkers' are idiots.
>>
>>19974023
Anon that car is going to kill you if you hit a serious bump.
>>
File: OK anon.gif (988 KB, 162x203)
988 KB
988 KB GIF
>>19976113
>>
>>19976129

that i dont know, would have to do some investigation on google. it might be a bit stiffer over bumps

>>19976126

search it. here in Canada Esso and Canadian tire are the same, 7-11 gets their gas from a few different places, etc. lots of forums will have who has good gas and who has bad. basically all companies get raw product from the same place and add their own blend of additives

i run Esso/Canadian Tire and 7-11 with no issues, ive heard to stay away from Domo. Costco gas my carbureted stuff is fine but one of my EFI cars starts like absolute shit in the morning if it has Costco in it
>>
>>19976160

http://lrbspeed.com/product/95-00-civic-sunroof-delete-panel/

lots of companies like this make sunroof delete panels for many models, not making this shit up.
>>
File: mmm hmmm.jpg (88 KB, 443x522)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>19976192
>>
File: 6235346.jpg (84 KB, 960x924)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>19976203

troll harder faggot
>>
>>19976073
Dude if the roads are all that fucking terrible should you even bother with a sedan?
>>
>>19976363
Station wagon. Because I love cars.

This is what I gathered from the SPID sticker on the one I'm looking at.

From what I gathered so far
>F40 Suspension System, Heavy Duty Front and Rear
>GU5 Axle, Rear, 3.23 Ratio (Usual for 265 V8 Chevy 9C1 Police cars)
> JA2 Brakes, Heavy-Duty Disc Drum (Usual for RM's)
> N40 Steering, Power, Non-Variable Ratio (standard RM)
>V08 Cooling System, Heavy Duty (optional - Mechanical fan plus 240 watt secondary driver side electric fan)

Combined with the aftermarket sway bars and the 18" wheels he's got on it this car seems like it might be a bit off the mark of the cushy ride I was looking for on these roads. I am sure there are a lot of other people who would prefer these options since they are more suited to curvy back roads, but not me right now.

I guess I won't know until I drive it. I can't be -that- rough riding. It is still a B-body.
>>
Curious engine heat issue that i want some ideas on

2005 Holden Rodeo (Isuzu D-Max) 3.0ITD diesel (not common rail)

Engine temperature appears to be dependent upon speed.. around town, it sits at about the two fifths point on the temperature gauge, and is steady. At highway speeds, it climbs and sits at around half, and is steady.. no fluctuation as one would expect with opening/closing of thermostat.

At this point i suspect the thermostat is the issue, stuck open and therefore allowing a constant flow of coolant, and therefore a constant temperature... just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, and if my thinking is right, before i go tearing things apart, and loading the parts cannon.
>>
What are my options for a brand new car (2018/2019) under $100k that is good for drifting and going fast? Must be stock.
>>
File: 1534032663571.jpg (76 KB, 500x598)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>19976212
fuck up stupid cunt
>>
File: 1338321811177.jpg (18 KB, 242x209)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Isn't it better to buy a shitbox with atleast 250k km because this means alot of issues were already fixed by the previous owners to keep it running?
>>
I'm looking for some decent tyres in 225/60r15 or 235/60r15 but I can only find poorfag ones. Am I gonna have to buy some 17 inch wheels?
>>
File: tacheti-hidraulici.jpg (57 KB, 626x389)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Is there a problem if i dont change these fuckers asap? My car vibrates and has a ticking sound cause of em, idk how they are called in english tho
>>
>>19976788

Well at some point your valves are gonna go fuck themselves i guess
>>
>>19976804
How are they called in english?
>>
Does it really matter how much you pay for your oil filter/which brand you pick?
>>
>>19976922
As long as you aren't getting absolute bottom of the barrel stuff then you should be fine. Its worth it to get the good stuff if you actually care about your car.
>>
>>19977008
>Its worth it to get the good stuff if you actually care about your car.
hurr durr you only care about your car if you spend the most money on it
>>
>>19977016
Theres a difference between getting name brand good oil and filters, and getting generic literal no name "Oil" and "Oil Filter"
>>
Why is my turn signal hyperflashing? Both bulbs are working, but my dash signal blinks fast as fuck as do my lights compared to the other side, which doesnt hyper flash. I got hit in the rear, but i checked all my signals, regular lights, and brights. All were working, so why is it hyperflashing?
>>
>>19977035
Checked relays and stuff?
>>
>>19977035
side indicator? possible ground leak somewhere?
>>
>>19976689
What? No
>>
>>19977078
Probably one of these two, didnt think of them earlier, thanks.
>>19977038
Nah ill give those a shot too, but when i got hit the lenz broke so im betting its what the other anon said. Probably pinched a wire or something and thats whats grounding out
>>
>>19977101
7078anon here.. glad to have helped
>>
>>19976689
Sure, if youre fine buying a shitbox that hasnt been taken care of and will most likely have some major issue very soon if it doesnt already
Normies dont take care of their cars usually. they drive from home to work, flooring the gas, stomping the brakes, going 2x or 3x over the oil change interval, etc. and then sell it before any major issue becomes apparent. Sure you might get something thats been taken care of, but most likely not, especially if its cheap. Make sure legit service records are in the glovebox or something to prove that its had maintenance done, just believing the seller will leave you broke and broken down on the side of the road in 10 miles
>>
File: bun_smug_knives.png (203 KB, 540x489)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
How much am I going to fuck up my tires by driving them in the cold? They're summer tires and I can't get more appropriate tires until next week and it's going to below 40 degrees the entire time.
>>
should i ignore my cars check engine light?
>>
>>19977229
Well what's it for?
>>
>>19977244
i dont know it came on randomly yesterday. the car seems to be running fine. I'm reading that it could be due to some fuel efficiency problem
>>
>>19977246
just take it to an auto parts store and have them scan it
>>
File: 20181105_165433.jpg (2.2 MB, 3264x2448)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
I need some help identifing exactly what this is. Can't find it on the internet by describing it and it doesn't have any markings/info on the actual peice. It's in the rear left of the engine bay, behind the strut
>>
File: 20181004_154744.jpg (2.15 MB, 3264x2448)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>19977308
Forgot to mention it's a Toyota Camry 1991 all Trac
>>
File: CAC00DOT122B0101.jpg (154 KB, 2100x1386)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Does there exist some piece of trim that you can put over/between the panel gap on the bed/cab of a pickup truck that makes it look like it's one piece?
>>
>>19977375
Why do you want that?
>>
File: 2004-Honda-Accord_15614.jpg (759 KB, 1600x1200)
759 KB
759 KB JPG
If my car's battery is only putting out 467CCA when it's rated for 625, should I change it? Car is currently not starting. Also will not start when I attempted to jump it.
>>
>>19977435
I dislike the massive panel gap and want it to look like a single panel.
>>
>>19977481
Well you could build it up and use body filler but it's going to break every time the body flexes so good luck
>>
i'm a bit of a tard so bear with me
i have a manual fwd car
with the car in gear, if I jack the car till the front wheels are off the ground, should the front wheels turn?
i did a wheel bearing checkup and when i got to the front wheels they turned quite a bit (car was in reverse) till they bumped into something and stopped and made a nasty sound. no noise when i put it in neutral.
i thought they shouldn't move at all.
>>
Guys I bought a $300 Citroen Xantia Activa on a whim, and it has a hydraulic leak. Do you think I can drive it ~300km while filling it up if needed? I have 4l hydraulic liquid with me. I think the brakes function with it, so maybe I'll die.

Maybe there's a small chance someone knows a bit about French """cars""".
>>
Sometime when I shift into second the gear selector makes a sort of "whirring" sound and I can feel the selector vibrate. Is that the teeth grinding?
>>
>>19976084
>>19976099
But wouldn't the brake cleaner just go into the cylinder? Then I could just unplug the spark plugs to push the fumes out by turning over the engine, and then start it normally and use the explosions to clean out the cylinder.
>>
>>19960857

Hey guys updated post here, the engine light came back on (but not for ECT) i have the codes P0102 (the one i had before about the MAF, i guess cleaning didn't help and i need to get a new one, simple enough) but a new code has come about, P0440, related to the EVAP. (the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses) Is this a CAT problem? Im assuming a carbon canister means catalytic converter? Once again thanks for all the help, the anon who recommended i change the ECT was spot on so im pretty confident in your advice
>>
How much does the length of a glass pack muffler affect the noise level it produces? I wanna do a custom dual exhaust on my truck and glass packs are cheap and compact and low restriction but I don’t want to be a dick to my neighbors at midnight because it’s fuckin loud without a muffler

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.