[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 76 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

I know you guys aren't /fa/, but most of these jacket choices seem to come from /out/ brands to do /out/ things so I figured you guys would be much more useful for this. I'm trying to choose between several jackets/coats, and was hoping to get opinions on which would be best. These choices are all expensive as shit, so let's assume money is no object.

1. pic related, https://www.fortisclothing.co.uk/shop/waterproof-falklands-coat/

I've read mostly good things about the brand. They used to be called Country Covers, and were known for making a version of the windproof smock that was apparently pretty good. They don't say what materials were used for the outer coat, just call it "ripstop" and say that it's waterproof and windproof. I'm thinking it's 50/50 poly cotton with a waterproof dropliner and maybe some kind of spray-on coating, but I could be wrong. It's kind of hokey, but I like that it has a drop-down waterproof seat. It's also got a shitton of pockets which I regard as a plus. It's insulation layer is also a separate jacket itself, so you can wear the outer layer alone, the inner layer alone, or both depending on the weather.

2. Swarzi Wapiti, https://www.swazi.co.nz/shop/mens/wapiti-coat/

I've read a lot of good reviews about this coat, and almost nothing but praise for the brand in general. Most people seem to choose their Tahr anorak, but I think it and this coat are made of the same material, which is some brand-exclusive deal. It's got side vents, which might be useful, and can be rolled up completely into the hood. Again, mostly hokey features but kind of cool. The only downside is that this coat only seems to have 3 pockets, which is S H I T. sure, the 2 on the front are pretty big, and the internal map pocket is pretty deep from what I've seen, but it's pretty mediocre compared to all the other coats.

cont'd.
>>
3. Paramo Halcon (pic related) http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=5A046B7C-748C-4E93-8397-E2710BFB5631&attributes=FCBDB5D3-90B7-4766-871F-389AF483A8BE (holy fuck that link)

I've heard good things about the brand, and the jacket looks breddy good. It's made of something called NikWax, which is the brand's own fabric. it looks like a pretty neat waterproofing system, but it also seems kind of "flimsy" and needs to be recoated via wash in waterproofing somewhat regularly. It's got arm vents near the biceps, and 9 pockets. The brand seems to be pretty enviornmentally conscious, which is nice, but not really something I think about much when it comes to jackets.

4. Fjallraven Ovik Eco-shell, https://www.fjallraven.us/products/ovik-eco-shell-jacket

Again, I've heard great things about the brand. The jacket is once again made by the brand's own fabric. It's got at least 6 pockets, but I'm not sold on the 2 back pockets.

5. Harkila Pro Hunter X, https://harkila.com/products/jackets/pro-hunter-x-jacket

same shit for this one as the one's before it; I've read good reviews of both the brand and this coat in particular. its got goretex and cordura, and its got its own set of special features like a radio pocket on the arm and a reflective strip on the other arm that you can pull out and wrap around for hunting and shit. Its also got a 5 year warranty, which is neat but not really a dealbreaker.

Which of these would be the best? They're all in the same class of clothing, in that they're all hard-wearing hunting/stalking jackets, but which does it best? also, I could be missing something on the brands; their could be plenty of shitty reviews that I've overlooked on any of them, so please let me know if this is the case.
>>
i have this dakine wyeast, its just an water proof shell (layer up for the weather) more so designed for snowboarding or skiing but works great for camping to, alot of pockets, super light weight, and its long so it covers your ass keeping you toasty.
>>
>>1103602
I like it, the pocket flap designs are pretty neat. the graphic on the inside of the hood is nice too. I'll have to look into it more
>>
File: 101131.jpg (76 KB, 585x780)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>They're all in the same class of clothing, in that they're all hard-wearing hunting/stalking jackets, but which does it best?

Are you looking for a stalking jacket? Reminds me: I remember a while back I tried getting an /out/ posse together to get some more of these made.
>>
>>1103622
it's more that the jackets i picked out simply were hunting/stalking jackets rather than me actively seeking one out. I like the style and features of jackets like these
>>
>>1103613
i cant recommend it enough
>>
File: drive jacket.jpg (30 KB, 385x367)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>
I really liked the first one until I saw that it's over $500 USD. Is something like that worth the price? I feel like I'd never wear it because I'd be afraid to ruin it. How would a jacket like that perform in below freezing temperatures?
>>
>>1103639
You are a real human bean
>>
>>1103804
And a real hero
>>
>>1103622
comfy
>>
File: 83565_CAN.jpg (37 KB, 750x750)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1103588
My favorite /out/ jacket is a softshell jacket with a nice fleece underneath. It's nice and breathable, and when you are more active you can remove the shell so you aren't sweating to death.

Pic related is my softshell (different color though)
>>
go try them on OR make the wrong choice
>>
>>1103909
you dont over heat?

my dead of winter is i guess what is called a hardshell (i call it alpine) with a fleece liner but in fall i have a canvas jacket that i love. sometimes i throw a plasma shell over a hoodie and that gets me running really hot, i cant imagine what its like over a fleace
>>
>>1103943
A soft shell breathes much better than a hardshell, which is why I recommended it. The only downside is they are less waterproof, which is not a problem in winter for me (some are pretty good though, especially when treated).

And as I said, when I am active I remove my shell and just have the fleece. I've never had a problem as any breeze cuts through the fleece without a shell keeping me cool. You just have to pick the correct weight fleece for your activity!

If you are dong extreme exercise then you don't really need to be wearing any jacket, strip to your base layers.
>>
File: 20170918_130430_HDR.jpg (648 KB, 1280x1707)
648 KB
648 KB JPG
I wear a combat shirt that I got for like $5. It literally never rains here and during winter I just need to wear a fleece underneath and I'm all good. Also if it did rain, there's loops to attach a shell to.

Milsurp is generally pretty good. It's functional but cheap so you don't have to worry about damaging your fancy $750 jacket.

>inb4 but it's ugly!
/fa/ is over there.
>>
File: germanpoliceparka.jpg (13 KB, 385x385)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1103957
No issues with milsurp here, was actually thinking of getting pic related just to have one. The only things I don't like are the reflective bands at the wrists and the police lettering on the back. I'm pretty sure I could take the lettering off, but I don't know what to do about the wristbands.
>>
>>1103639
Most Russian jacket i've ever seen
>>
>>1103998
Pretty sure the lettering on the back is pressed into the fabric like the cuffs.. Don't know if it would be possible to remove without damaging the shell.
>>
>>1103957
>>but it's ugly
>implying /fa/ wouldn't eat that shit up
>>
Good cheap flannel jacket for extreme winters anyone?

MN extreme, and a bonus would be old hunting aesthetic.
>>
>>1104125
It's cheap and works but I'd hate to carry one around in a pack though. I'd prefer a down puffy for extreme cold or polarfleece for anything less. I guess part of this is what you want to use your jacket for. 90% of the time I'm /out/ in the winter I don't want a huge bulky jacket on, it's too hot. It's only at night or when you are standing around that you really more than base- and mid-layers.

Over the life of your jacket, the cost difference isn't a huge factor unless your buying expedition gear or Velben goods. What's difference of $100-200 over the course of 15+ years?
>>
File: 108424_ts.jpg (144 KB, 1155x1155)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
best /out/ jacket
>>
File: 20170918_233611[1].jpg (2.74 MB, 4128x2322)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
>>1103998
they're pretty nice. removable liner, 50 pockets, wrist cuffs feel nice and stay put, really warm. plus it's a conversation starter
main annoyance is that it's kind of baggy
>>
>>1104236
since it's baggy I take it that these jackets run big? I'm getting mixed signals from reviews on sportsman's guide; some say too big, some say too small, most either are happy with the fit or don't care. Also is it like >>1104090 said about the lettering and cuffs? I thought I saw where the cuffs were just stitched on in a closeup pic, but I could've just been seeing what I wanted to see.
>>
>>1104280
the arms fit in length, but there is a lot of space inside the coat. good for wearing over other layers.
I would order the size you think fits; I'm 6'2" and a 106 fits me well.
The lettering is pressed on, and the cuffs have stitching in them, although they could be pressed on as well.

https://kommandostore.com/german-goretex-polizei-parka-with-3m-scotchlite/
is where I got mine
>>
>>1104280
Surplus jackets are generally baggy so armor and other layers can fit under it. It'll still sit on your shoulders properly and have long enough sleeves though so it's not that big of a deal.
>>
File: 1194361613.jpg (384 KB, 1200x1032)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
mhmm
>>
>>1103639
reeal human beeaann
>>
File: IMG_0857.jpg (4.14 MB, 4032x3024)
4.14 MB
4.14 MB JPG
I can speak for the Swazi. I have the Tahr and finally got to use it yesterday.

Was out in the Metcalf wilderness and I forgot my rain cover for my pack and my stuff got soaked.

Had to go 8 miles back in a decent downpout with high winds and everything got sucked accept what the coat covered. No wetting out even where the water was pressed against the coat by my pack.

I left it in my front seat and in the morning the coat had pools of water ON TOP OF IT. The brushed surface just pushes all the water to the top so the water sits on the material instead of soaking in. The brushed surface also keeps it quite.

This beast feels like a suit of armor.

Pros:
Very tough, very water resistant/proof, very resistant to wetting out, elastic cuffs, silent, long cut to protect top of pants and when sitting.

Cons:
Kinda heavy for a waterproof jacket, pockets arent bad but not the best either, not as packable as a lighter jacket such as arcteryx, can be hard to wiggle into sometimes if you get the anorak.
>>
>>1104446
Butchered some of those sentences.

*downpour, soaked, except
>>
Look for a jacket made for Real Adventure with a built in Survival Harness and inflatable pillow.
>>
File: IMG_4846.jpg (224 KB, 1242x1136)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>1103588
>>1103589
A good old fashioned brown Carhartt jacket made from duck leather. This is the jacket worn by men who hunt or work outdoors. Tough as nail and very warm in the winter. Pockets are big enough to hold a box of shotgun shells or whatever you need to carry. Only real men wear this jacket.
>>
>>1104458
that guy has a real nice smile
>>
>>1104458
>duckleather
will sure impress the girls
>>
Anyone have any of the jackets from seeland? From what I gather they're the base brand which harkila is a step up from. Most are made with the company's version of goretex called seetex, which I don't know how it compares to the "real" stuff.
>>
>>1104458
>duckleather
Do you really think that that's a thing.
>>
>>1104458
Kek, I don't know what "duck leather" is but I have a classic brown Carhartt jacket like that. It is indeed very warm but not stylish. Great for outdoor work and hiking though.
>>
File: IMG_4860.jpg (330 KB, 1242x1467)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>1104458
Carhartt ftw, shit is super cozy
>>
>>1104683
>not stylish
Wrongo
>>
Going to fly the flag and shill for a really good British brand called Barbour. Very high quality and they will even repair and re-wax your coat. They will last you a life time.
>>
>>1103589

Harkila all damn day. These are all uber warm though, depending on your activity.
>>
>>1104850

I wouldn't take my Barbour jacket over the likes of my Pro Hunter but they're also fantastic choices.
>>
>>1104458
Dude I live in Seattle. Literally everyone from boomers to hipsters to anarchists to lumberjacks wear Carhartts.
>>
>>1104458
>tfw not fat enough for Carhart to fit me properly
>>
>>1104458
tfw bought a sun faded and oil stained carhartt duck jacket and a well worn and soiled red kap work shirt on ebay.
now I can larp as a ptsd suffering veteran of the north dakota campaign.
>>
>>1105466
In America 50 is L
In Europe 58 is XXXXXXXL.

Not kidding about the X. 58 is literally 7XL

How is this even possible.
>>
File: 6546854684984984.jpg (87 KB, 700x567)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1105473
>>
>>1105466
>>1105473
Carhartt jackets run big so you can layer stuff underneath. Just buy a size smaller than you normally wear.
>>
I spotted something on eBay I haven't seen before. So in Australia there's this little company called Agmer which makes work wear.
It looks like they've tried their hand making a rip-off of Swanndri (waterproofed wool clothing) called "dinkum dri."
Their shirt is 90% wool 10% polyester instead of Swanndri's 100% wool but I just copped one for about $32 USD when a Swanndri would be about $99 USD.

http://www.ebay.com.au/cln/stevensonsworkwear/Mens-bush-shirts-and-jackets-100-AUSTRALIAN-MADE/370343111011
>>
File: 138577453145.jpg (197 KB, 519x692)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>1103622
Why not this?
>>
All these jackets scream, "I want to be run over when it rains," or, "I hope they never find my body."
>>
>>1109406
If you wear bright colours in the woods it attracts faeries, dumbass. Then they will definitely never find your body.
>>
>>1104418
>no tall sizes
>>
>>1109437

Well here in the US of A, our faires stick to the cities.
>>
>>1109565

clearly you never go /out/ enough. I know plenty of faggots who like going innawoods.
>>
>>1103588
Any jackets that combine neck protection with a hood but are fit like bomber jacket and don't expand much below waist?
>>
File: marmot71110-BLK-2.jpg (1.08 MB, 1500x1500)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>1110866
Something like pic related?
>>
>>1110874
no, more like OPs falklands type

that marmot looks like trash bag
>>
>>1104446
>that foot placement
Is there some gal blowing you?
>>
>>1110887
No that's a handboot for scrambling
>>
>>1103639
Real human beans.
>>
File: 1504967777502.jpg (72 KB, 529x401)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1103588
Just get a fucking carhart and stop spending money on jacket that go for over a 150 plus dollars.
Jesus fucking.
>>
>>1104174
Its bulletproof too.
I know because some african told me so.
>>
File: 1505603313111.jpg (46 KB, 443x750)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1104469
>will sure impress the girls
Literally who fucking cares about what women thinks?
>>
File: atlas.jpg (41 KB, 1000x1000)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I just always get Northface coats because you can find them clearanced out for cheap if you shop around. Got pic related in a different color for 60 bucks.
>>
File: styling on you.jpg (41 KB, 600x375)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1103602

That is fantastic.

>>1103588
>>1103589

I'm /fa/ as FUCK.

I would not really describe your options as intrinsically fashionable. The Fjallraven comes closest because it is a dead-bird status-brand, but as a totally nondescript hooded utility coat it doesn't bring anything to the table that any other high-quality utility coat would not.

I was in a Fjallraven retail store recently and their fabrics & construction were no better and no worse than any other decent-but-not-fantastic brand.

Of the coats you posted, I feel like the Harkila offers the most attention to detail. But it is impossible to be sure without physically handling each of them in turn.
>>
File: 1428578997900669.jpg (27 KB, 550x535)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1110926
Mfw I spent $130 on my carhartt
>>
>>1109292
>larping that hard at a outlet store
jee whiz
>>
>>1111187
That is what they cost...they are some for cheaper, but they are a lighter coat. The heavier coats cost 130 everywhere.
>>
>>1111111
>>
>>1109292
That's way too cringe worthy
>>
File: 61oKa90KMUL._UL1200_.jpg (103 KB, 865x1200)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
I posted this on /fa/ but it's honestly probably more suited here, but does anyone knows of a cheaper version of something that looks like this. I'm hoping for something in the $20-$40 range that'll be close to as warm and have the same style as it.
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM8CJRQ
>>
>>1111379
Seconds are $49 at Sierra Trading Post.

The heavy stuff. Made of genuine DuckLeather.
>>
>>1112996
Shit my dad must of been /fa/ for the last 2 decades if this is considered fashionable now.
Go to any outdoor clothing place and you should find this for that price or less
>>
>>1104458
Suggest me something similar to post related while being suitable for /out/ - hiking and hunting primarily. I have a jacket but it states it's 100% fucking cotton, and I guess that's a big no? Doesn't feel cheap, and is pretty thicc, butt it's soft material which can't withstand thorns and tearing.

Definitely hooded + neck protection of course. Looking for something bomber jacket styled, not too long.
>>
I don't know any of those so I can't give you useful advice sorry, but what do you plan on doing while you wear the jacket? Those are all very expensive and I am fine mountaineering in winter at 3000+m with a 50$ softshell jacket and 80$ down jacket. I don't really see a point in a jacket that costs several hundred $ unless you're doing something really extreme or living in Greenland
>>
>>1113568
Just regular-mild walking that hiking/hunting requires, countryside/mountain terrain, but in a jacket which won't counter act in case there is rain or something that cotton jacket wouldn't be good for. Doesn't need to be expensive, just cover common needs - rain/wind.
>>
File: m65.jpg (18 KB, 385x385)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
I'd get a M65-replica with liner included for cold winter weather.

pic related
>>
File: ksksmock.jpg (185 KB, 600x600)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
Another option would be to get the KSK färnspäher smock. Which is an extremely good system which was intended for a SF recon soldier to have his entire combat load inside of the jacket.
>>
File: kenobimeme.jpg (70 KB, 641x500)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1110929
>>
Fjallraven is the only way to go
>>
>>1113675
You can't be serious
>>
>>1103589

NikWax is very individual..... it relies on air flow to dry out. it doesnt bead on the jacket. Soem people swear by it in my work (ecology), others hate it. I dint get on with it, got a good goretex and bobs your uncle.

Harkila are good
>>
File: 1499748040051.gif (1.65 MB, 500x500)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB GIF
>>1111117
Owner of Keb Jacket, keb down zip, keb hoodie, keb pants, vidda pro, reporter lite jacket, and Friluft 35 pack here. You're right on the money.

It's good stuff. Great, maybe. But it isn't worth the money, imo. Get it all on a steep discount. Never, ever pay full price for it. You're screwing yourself. The bulk of it is made in China. Craftsmanship is typical. It looks great. That's it.

I wish I'd bought an Osprey Atmos and gotten the Sarek trekking coat and just modded it with some zip vents.
>>
>>1103589
NikWax is a very recognized brand in the sportswear industry, and most hardshell (read membrane) jackets will need to be recoated to stay effective - thus covering your Harkila jacket but also any most jackets on the market.

This is because a membrane jacket consists of layers - be it 2, 2.5 or 3 (these three being the most common). The membrane layer will be what makes the jacket waterproof, and is also the part covered by the water column, which to some extent shows how waterproof a fabric is.
As rain or dirt gets onto the membrane it will deteriorate. This is why most jackets nowadays are coated with a DWR (Durable Water Repellancy)-system, where NikWax have a leading technology. This ensures that water beads off the fabric, keeping the outer fabric dry, while also increasing breathability and longevity.

Most other alternatives will contain PFC (Perfluorocarbons), which is environmentally hazardous and is indirectly a cause of cancer. The outdoor industry's move away from this chemical has caused most outerwear to fall in quality and rise in price the past 10 years.

>tldr
My point is that the nikwax fabric isn't actually flimsy, and it should not be a factor when you're looking for a jacket. It might need a bit more care, but in the long run it will probably function better.

Source: /out/ retailer
>>
>>1113713
That being said - all the jackets you've dug up seem to be great choices. I can personally vouch for Fjällräven being a great brand, and whilst I haven't even heard of Fortis and Swarzi they too look like solid investments.

Pro-tip: with a heavy jacket like this ventilation zips can be really handy if you plan on being in the slightest bit of activity without sweating furiously.
>>
>>1110887
How does one get one's gf to blow him /out/doors?
>>
>>1113669
Imagine wearing that on a flight.
>>
File: arc-teryx-macai.jpg (30 KB, 1000x1000)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1103588
ARCTYREX MACAI

I actually bought this jacket shits so cash
>>
I have an expensive jacket but I never use it. Instead of buying one heavy jacket use layers.
1. Thermal underwear $20
2. Bush shirt $50
3. Wool jersey $50
4. Hoodie if necessary $30
5. Waterproof $150 for a good one $20 for a parka will be fine
6. Denim jacket (if going through gorse to protect waterproof) $20 from opshop
7. Add scarf and beanie

+Easy to change temp, remove or add a layer
+Can wash a layer at a time and still stay warm
+Packs up smaller (especially puff jackets)
+Way cheaper

If you start sweating while out it can become quite dangerous because your skin and layers underneath will stay wet. When you stop moving you will get really cold. Also you will get really thirsty.
>>
>>1113841
Ex-military does it all the time. Nobody gives a fuck.
>>
File: parka500.jpg (34 KB, 800x800)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Solognac parka, anyone?
>>
>>1113905
Solognac brand in general?
>>
>>1113861
All those pockets I mean. You wouldn't even need checked luggage.
>>
>>1113950
I have this jacket with four front pockets and since then I just fucking love having four front pockets on all my jackets. I refuse to have only two pockets.
>>
>>1113856
I want to buy the arcteryx beta jacket but didn't feel comfortable spending so much. The fit was amazing. How much did you spend on yours?
>>
>>1113858
Damn man this sounds like really good advice. Thank you.
>>
>>1114345
a little over $900... yea its was expensive
it is however the most comfy ski jacket i have ever tried on the hood has great insulation too...very well made
>>
>>1113905
bump
>>
>>1103588

All the modern jackets look kinda shit to me.

Is there modern version of M65?
>>
>>1115093
>modern
>>
>>1115093
yes, look above. Many replicas as well. M65 is the shit.
>>
>>1113669
this thing looks practical and stylish. where do I get one?
>>
>>1116461
Any serious mega-retailer online.
>>
Just get a carhartt.

http://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-outerwear/Bankston-Jacket-101228?selectedAttribute=7000000000000000005_7000000000000000659#
>>
can anyone recommend rain jackets under $100?
>>
>>1118570
Pretty much anything sold in major shops.

Anything specific (recommended here) is expensive and bought only by connoisseurs (faggots).

You're more than fine with general clothing and milsurps.
>>
File: 1507878748998s.jpg (6 KB, 232x250)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1113669
>cringe
>>
File: 0545093373.jpg (123 KB, 1000x1328)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
this is my current outer layer. not sure how it will perform. will wear it next month for the first time.
>>
>>1118675
I've had the Skogsö Jacket for two years now, same colour as your pic.
It's not water proof oc, and I hope you didn't expect it to be.
I find it to be a great wind jacket with a good cut that doesn't restrict my movement. The hood adjusts well like it should on any expensive jacket.
I renew the waxing from time to time. When it's heavily waxed it will keep light to medium rain out for about 15 mins or so before it begins to soak through the fabric. But then again, the fabric dries quite fast. I haven't put it trough a lot of hard abuse yet allthough I use it daily right now, so I can't say anything about it's durability, however beeing good quality poly-cotton it should hold up well.

I really hope for a snowy winter this year because I'd love to wear this instead of my goretex shell when on longer trips (waxed G-1000 is water resistant enough for snow, not for extended rain)
>>
File: temple and rain.jpg (91 KB, 720x540)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>1118699
>I hope you didn't expect it to be.
I am anyway a poncho guy...
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 500x500)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Saw this today, Kuhl Arktik Down parka. Anyone have any experience with Khul jackets or this in particular? I love the aesthetics of it, seems fitting on Hoth. It was also bretty comfy.

Only spec I remember is 800 down fill and that its $400.
>>
>>1103639
>literally me
>>
>>1118570
I don't recall what they're going for now, but the Marmot Precip is a wonderful rain jacket. That being said, anything that has decent pit zips, an adjustable hood, and cuff closures, and you should be golden. Check out campsaver, moosejaw, Amazon, or backcountry for some deals.
>>
>>1118956
>fake leather bits feel weird and don't quite look right
>no perceivable wax or waterproofing
>800fp is nice in a parka
>fur trim is fake but looks real in person
>nice build quality
It's a tacky fashion parka for city people from an otherwise good company. The fuck do you want a parka for anyway? Parkas are for sedentary people.

t. Kuhl dealer
>>
as a fairly cheap option, go for a gorka suit. sub $100 for a whole set. its my go to for /out/ jacketing
>>
>>1118956

They're good quality in construction and materials but they are slightly weird.

>>1119102

Has it.

I would not buy if you cannot try it on and see how it feels to you.
>>
>>1119132
Oh, sensible person on /out/.

Other than that, if fashion doesn't matter and not going for the high end waterproof stuffs, I just go get cheapest shit from second hand store to do outdoor stuff. Doesn't matter if they get burned or pooped so bad that you can throw them to garbage bin.
>>
>>1119132
i love this, what does it include, is it trousers and coat?
>>
>>1119132
>>1119201
>cotton clothing with polycotton reinforcements
>sensible
>in 2017
>>
>>1119132
>BARS Gorka
>not getting a real SSO Gorka
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 880x660)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1119102
Live out my Hoth fantasies, mostly. It would literally be an impuls buy as I already have pic related. But I tried it on yesterday like >>1119140 recommended and it was comfy. I also spend lots of time in the snow xc skiing, snow shoeing, and just hiking around up here in South Dakota.
>>
>>1119140
Do you like it, have you used it out a lot? Do you overheat quickly while wearing it? Ultimately I'd probably be better off buying a better sleeping bag than my marmot bag.
>>
File: Roo.jpg (59 KB, 1173x880)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Good day boys im looking for a similar jacket to this one in the picture, any leads would be very much appreciated
>>
>>1119510
I can't tell what material that is supposed to be. But maybe an M65 jacket? Though I think those are just gonna be OD green.
>>
>>1119510
That's going to be harder to find with a hood. Most field jackets don't have them. The closest I know of off hand is fucking expensive, $300, and is far more polished/fashion orientated -- Fjallraven Sarek jacket. Not going to turn you away, they make good shit. It's just overpriced and you might be able to find a cheap, closer match of similar quality if it's milsurp. Google field jacket, it's a warehouse worth of options to dig through.
>>
>>1119510
Your best bet is a chink jacket off of Amazon or Ebay. That man is clearly Russian, or using soviet equipment, but the jacket could be anything. Type in "Military Jacket hood" on ebay, bunch of Chinese cotton jackets will pop up.

Otherwise, go for an M65 or something.
>>
File: a12135154949.jpg (101 KB, 1083x1083)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
I got one of these a winter or two ago, I'm in love with it. It's Fjallraven so it's expensive but the quality is pretty great, it's cosy most of the winter but you might want to chuck a mid layer under it when the temperature goes below zero. https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/fjallraven-mens-raeven-winter-jacket-A1213515.html?colour=132
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (201 KB, 626x800)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>1113669
Then you might as well just use the swiss TAZ70 jacket...
>>
>>1119510
Yo, >>1119672 here

http://www.military1st.com/3101-1-brandit-m-65-giant-jacket-olive.html

Here ya go bud, hood and all. Modular layers. 1/3 of the price of the fashionisto brand.
>>
>>1120116
>>1119882
>>1119748
>>1119681
>>1119510
I think any of these would work and to get that glossy look you'll have to wax the canvas, which will also greatly increase water resistance
>>
>>1119213
mine was 50/50 polycotton all over and it wasn't even a new one. I think your info is a bit outdated, I'm sure new production gorkas are not full cotton.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.